PDA

View Full Version : Artifacts in Brazil

M Frank
03-23-2005, 08:53 AM
I always get artifacts in the corners and edges of rooms when I render interior scenes in Brazil using regathered photon mapping. I have tried increasing view rate/secondary rate until render times become painfully long but still get these artifacts. Does anyone know how to get around this.

jmBoekestein
03-25-2005, 05:29 PM
You have to consider that to increase the accuracy of a photonmap solution you will have to increase the amount of photons untill they are equally spreading over the scene. This sometimes requires massive amounts of them. I assume you are getting bright spots and slightly too dark spots/smudges.

Otherwise usually it helps to decrease the threshold for the sampler or increase the viewrate. Don't know about anything else.

pokoy
03-26-2005, 09:26 AM
i think the solution would be to increase the 'photons in estimate' value... when you get those artifacts it's pretty much because the value is too low. but don't go over 200 if you are really using regathering, a value of +/- 128 should do it.
hope this helps.

CGTalk Moderation
03-26-2005, 09:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.