PDA

View Full Version : How is this done???

Snow Fox
03-23-2005, 04:18 AM
I made a car model and I put an environment map in the background, but I don't know how to make the shadow of the car appear in the render. I tried making a plane just under the car and I unchecked in the plane properties "visible to camera" , but the shadows don't appear, I think that is not the right way... I'm using Max 6

polyman
03-23-2005, 04:50 AM
Is the environment map just an image (jpg,bmp,etc) or and HDRI image? Why did you turn off the visibility for the plane? Are you using just the regular max scanline render or a 3rd party one(vray, brazil,etc). You know that you need some source of light to cast shadows.

sicky
03-23-2005, 03:21 PM
What software are you trying to do this in? Maya, 3dsmax, etc...?

(EDIT)...nevermind, i'm and idiot. :D

k4k
03-23-2005, 07:30 PM
apply matte/shadow material to the plane.. u shud get the shadow..

Snow Fox
03-24-2005, 02:53 AM
Thank you Guys for your replies….

In the car model I made, which is not very good as it’s my first one and I don’t have too much experience (I think next will come better, of course), I am trying to put it in two different environments.

In the first one, I’m trying to render the car WITH the shadow in a background image , but I don’t want the plane, where the shadow is projected, to be seen. Is this done this way or I have to render the car alone with the shadow and then make a “photomontage” in Photoshop (for example)???

(I attach a little ball example to be more clear)

Snow Fox
03-24-2005, 04:19 AM
Now...for the second environment i just want a white background but the shadows are not good, absolutely bad

What I have now is: render: mental ray
GI: 100
FG: 200

I'm using 1 Skylight (multiplier 1,0) and "sky color" is set to use scene environment, which is an HDRI image.
Then I have direct light (raytraced shadows) (using near and far attenuation)
A couple of omnis without shadows
My problem is how to fix this shadows and to know which lights are more appropriate for this kind of scene with their settings...

TIPS ALWAYS WELCOME!

Snow Fox
03-25-2005, 02:53 AM
any suggestion???

tgg
04-12-2005, 02:26 PM
Yupz, I've got a suggestion :). (to the shadow and plane thingy)

I think this is what you mean:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/koperj/thingy.jpg

I created this with a sphere on a plane. I assigned a Matte/Shadow material to the plane and only the shadow showed up, not the plane itself.

Just like k4k said :)

oodle
04-14-2005, 03:57 AM
hi..
i dont know abot max but in maya u could get that shadow by applying background shader to the plane
maybe u can find in max doc somewhere about whis kinda shader/material that only catches shadow

CGTalk Moderation
04-14-2005, 03:57 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.