PDA

View Full Version : paint through several layer masks at a time...

RentaLLMay
03-23-2005, 02:01 AM
hello,
letīs say iīve got 5 layers plus a background layer.
Now i create a layer mask for each of those 5 layers so i can hide parts of the different layers.
Is there a way how i can paint through all 5 layers at one time and get the background come through all 5 layers with only one brushstroke?
Just like: "activate the top layer, paint in that layer and the brushstroke goes through the other layer masks too"
Having to copy the strokes from the active layer mask to the others one by one each time you make a modification can get really annyoing, especially if there are dozens of layers.

I there any trick or maybe a plug-in since activating more than one layer at a time doesnīt work for painting?

Stroker
03-23-2005, 03:02 AM
Try using a layer set.
Toss all layers into a layer set and give the set a layer mask.
It will act as a mass mask for all, and each individual layer can keep individual maskness.

RentaLLMay
03-23-2005, 09:24 AM
aaargh, THAT easy....
-bangs his head against the wall...-

I head played with sets but never thought of giving a "general" layer mask to the set...:shrug:

This is really cool. And each time i donīt want a layer to be affected i just have to take it out of the set...

thanks Stroker, youīre a life saver

Stroker
03-23-2005, 12:35 PM
Kudos.
Actually, my old school solution is to use a clipping group. I used to use this variation before layer sets were available. Both ways have pros can cons and all that jazz.

Kind of makes me wish I had PS CS so I could play with nested layer sets. I once had a few hours to play with a machine with PS CS and I did some really cool things with nested sets. Like doing some uber complex ChOps on the fly with tweaks. :sigh: Hopefully I'll be able to get a copy dirt cheap when the next version comes out.

Um, yeah. Glad it works for ya.
Back under my rock with me.

CGTalk Moderation
03-23-2005, 12:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.