PDA

View Full Version : Master and Servant 2D Entry: francis tsai

francis001
03-23-2005, 02:06 AM
francis tsai has entered the Master and Servant 2D.

Challenge Page (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/masterandservant/view_entries.php?challenger=6110)

Latest Update: Coloring WIP: evolution
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6110/6110_1113808638_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6110/6110_1113808638_large.jpg)

Hi all

Just another painting step. Sorry for the lack of participation lately - I am in the middle of a mega crunch freelance period. I very much want to complete this in time but we shall see...

KOryH
03-23-2005, 02:16 AM
may I be the first to say good luck and that I am looking forward to your work.

V_Shane
03-23-2005, 03:40 AM
Francis! Love your work, I think I visit your site at least once a month (hoping for updates). Welcome! and Good creation!

Shane

monsitj
03-23-2005, 04:59 AM
so amaze, you are my favourite artist of all time:thumbsup: can't believe u join challenge! if u have time give me some advice:bowdown:

Tommy Lee
03-23-2005, 05:40 AM
Hey buddy!

Good Luck on this one:thumbsup:

Cheerz

Tom

Kyena
03-23-2005, 05:43 AM
good luck :)
leaving my mark to get updated on the thread.

francis001
03-25-2005, 05:32 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6110/6110_1111771959_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6110/6110_1111771959_large.jpg)

I recently read a book called "The Age of Spiritual Machines" by Ray Kurzweil (yes, THAT Ray Kurzweil for the musicians here). It was a really interesting book, covering the evolution of intelligent/thinking machines, biotechnology, artificial intelligence, nanotechnology, and how all those technologies will evolve and in turn let us evolve. (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0140282025/qid=1111769624/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/103-6914708-4365423?v=glance&s=books&n=507846)

In the book Kurzweil traces the development of web and internet technology, biotech, nanotech and AI research, and speculates on ways they will interact and allow humanity to grow beyond our biological limits. The book is mostly positive and optimistic, although there is a slight undercurrent of unease - at some point, the computational capabilities of machines will outstrip that of human beings. When that happens, we will find ourselves dependent on the decision making abilities of machines - the relationship between humanity and its creation(s) will then be at an interesting and critical tipping point.

I wanted to do something for this challenge that alluded to that relationship; the problem is that that theme is almost a cliche in the science fiction genre - oh look, the machines rise up and revolt against their human masters. After a lot of thought, I settled on looking at the evolutionary aspect of the theme of humanity and machines. One of the many "idea threads" (for lack of a better term) in Kutzweil's book is the concept of the Law of Accelerating Returns. This Law is sort of a corollary to Moore's Law, which basically states that the computational power of microprocessors will double every eighteen months or so. Kurzweil argues that evolution in nature is actually an intelligent process, if we compress the time frame in which it occurs. It (evolution) is a random, massively parallel process much like a massively parallel, neural net based learning computer. The problem is that evolution occurs over a huge time span, due to the limitations of its biological toolset. Humankind's machine inventions will constitute the next step of evolution - at first, machines will repair "broken" humans - for instance, neural implants for quadruplegics which allow them to manipulate text and cursors on a computer screen; replacement bones and joints made of titanium and advanced polymers; augmentation of sight and hearing with artificial components.

When does the biological component of a person become a liability in this process? In his book, Kurzweil refers to people known as "M.O.S.H.," or Mostly Original Substrate Human, meaning "a human being still using native carbon-based neurons and unenhanced by neural implants." They come off as the twenty-first century equivalent of the Neanderthals - the remnants of the last version of humanity.

So what does all this jibber jabber mean? I am planning to portray the Master/Servant relationship between humanity and EVOLUTION. Machines are a player in this story, but they only serve as the tools by which humanity attempts to control and influence evolution. The major idea here is that for a short time, evolution is the servant of human-generated technology - it's an abstract (intelligent?) process that allows humanity to improve and augment itself. In the end, we see that the efforts of humanity's technical innovations ultimately serve the process of evolution.

Thanks for sticking around if you read this far. Here are my initial concept sketches.

francis001
03-25-2005, 05:34 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6110/6110_1111772075_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6110/6110_1111772075_large.jpg)

The emphasis here is on the human condition - I wanted to try to portray the "machines" in as neutral or non-threatening a manner as possible.

francis001
03-25-2005, 05:38 PM
koryh - thanks man, I really love your work. I appreciate the support.

V_Shane - cool! I hope you like the recent additions...

monsitj - thanks very much! I will try to stop by your thread and give you my two cents.

Tommy Lee - thanks buddy, same to you! :)

Kyena - thank you, I will check out yours too!

PatternRecognition
03-25-2005, 06:11 PM
Your idea is truely excellent and original! I'm glad you'll be showing the positive aspects of this, as the idea of becoming part-machine invokes mostly negative feelings in people (myself included).
Going to subscribe to this thread because I'm sure the product will be amazing :D Love your art!

(and that Mitsubishi sign on the guy's head is both hilarious and scary... http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/eek.gif )

francis001
03-25-2005, 06:23 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6110/6110_1111775022_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6110/6110_1111775022_large.jpg)

Trying some compositions - probably have a few of these milestones.

Thanks for the comments angryscientist!

XIA
03-25-2005, 06:26 PM
Yes, Francis...I will be watching this thread. So far soo good.

Always love your work. :)

Squibbit
03-25-2005, 07:23 PM
hey dude !!! welcome again !! grrreeat stuff as usual !! :thumbsup:

sonicstrawbery
03-25-2005, 07:32 PM
Oh yeah that books is excellent man, i rode it also sometimes ago... well you're idea is excellent and your concept :bowdown:

I'll follow your thread with attention, Good luck !

AirbORn
03-25-2005, 07:57 PM
Talk about clean looking concepts! It is easy to make out what the subjects matters design is. I also like the relationship between master and servant, can't wait to see what the composition will look like! :)

igorstshirts
03-26-2005, 12:06 AM
Okay... Cool... My kinda stuff. Hoping for updates!

francis001
03-26-2005, 07:24 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6110/6110_1111821866_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6110/6110_1111821866_large.jpg)

Here is a rough color block in, using one of the compositions in the previous sketch. I want to show evolution in terms of a progression from neanderthal-esque humanoid to modern/near future human being, to our eventual artificial intelligence/robotic "descendants."

XIA - I like your work too, I will try to be sure to visit your thread soon.

Squibbit - thank you, I appreciate that!

cipher - I loved that book; did you also read Age of Thinking Machines? I want to read that next, when I have time again.

airborn - thanks, I'm glad you think so. I hope the composition meets with your approval.

igor - my kinda stuff too! hehe.

redfrog
03-26-2005, 07:38 AM
francis tsai has entered the Master and Servant 2D.

Challenge Page (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/masterandservant/view_entries.php?challenger=6110)

Latest Update: Coloring WIP: evolution
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6110/6110_1111821866_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6110/6110_1111821866_large.jpg)

Here is a rough color block in, using one of the compositions in the previous sketch. I want to show evolution in terms of a progression from neanderthal-esque humanoid to modern/near future human being, to our eventual artificial intelligence/robotic "descendants."

XIA - I like your work too, I will try to be sure to visit your thread soon.

Squibbit - thank you, I appreciate that!

cipher - I loved that book; did you also read Age of Thinking Machines? I want to read that next, when I have time again.

airborn - thanks, I'm glad you think so. I hope the composition meets with your approval.

igor - my kinda stuff too! hehe.

really nice colour up - even as an early WIP it has a nice look to it... can't wait to see the finished product.

wuensch
03-26-2005, 08:29 AM
your work is exceptionally well done & I like the pic but--
are you sure you are still following the master & servant briefing?
(Though evolution would be a cool theme, too, i have to admit, I am just reading Steven baxters Evolution book)

ElFuego
03-26-2005, 08:45 AM
Colouring looks really good. Characters are are also nice, but the last evolutional state is a bit too hal-life for me :) The Neantherthal human reminds me of Blur studios "In the rough" animation... in some weird way.

Maybe the last figure should b more dynamic (now it's really menacing...well, that's not bad either).

Great job and after adding some detail it should look really good and show really thrilling emotion. not sure if it's a master%servant kinda emotion but only time will tell :) good luck!

Tommy Lee
03-26-2005, 08:53 AM
Holy Crap,.. you are stepping on the gas again....:eek: Love your idea, very different but to the point! And about your execution: Bows down in shame:bowdown:

Cheerz buddy

andreasrocha
03-26-2005, 10:17 AM
Great coloring, Francis...as always. The green tone in the background kicks ass...quite a story you wrote up there. I think I understood it...hehe.

A couple of suggestions, then. Since you want this image to be more iconographic (I think), perhaps the three figure's stances should reflect that. The figure in the middle has too much character compared to the other two. Also the neanderthal almost seems inteligent. Perhaps his fists reflect that, don't really know. Last, the robotic descendant looks too similar to the middle figure. Perhaps exaggerating his features to make only the essential apparent...

Well, I don't know if my comments make any sense...but I'll visit your thread later to see if I can help. Keep it going!

MDN67
03-26-2005, 11:30 AM
Really a very good concept, colors are excellent, I do not know if you are going to keep this idea but it is very maid:thumbsup:

OKMER
03-26-2005, 11:32 AM
I'm sure I have already passed by here...Anyway(maybe it was very late:D ...
great stuff and nice and clean sketches!!!

Arctis
03-26-2005, 12:37 PM
Hi,
interesting idea here !
I've been on your website, and the great pictures I saw there make me impatient to see more of your work in this contest.
Good luck !

omengeorge
03-26-2005, 01:09 PM
well this is one work which immediately speaks volumes of what is coming up...but I garner one point is a bit loose... this work shows in the evolution of the species, but where is the master servant relationship..and if so.. between whom is it shown to be... If it's clear..someone please hit me with a pogo stick, but if not so, francis would love it if you could divulge, and give a bit of insight into the additions to be made...if any
love,
Vinesh

air tiger
03-26-2005, 01:18 PM
hey good luck! looks great so far

paperclip
03-26-2005, 02:15 PM
Beautiful! I love the textures and colours in the backgrounds. What sort of brushes/textures are you using?

sonicstrawbery
03-26-2005, 02:54 PM
Nope haven't read the book you mentioned but i'll surely looking for it, love those philosophy about machine/human interactions...really interesting subjects !

About your coloring, well it's truely good but i agree with the previous comments, it's too much about evolution and we don't really feel the master/servant relation in the character...

I'm sure you'll find a better way to express it... Kepp it up man that's excellent :thumbsup:

francis001
03-26-2005, 05:19 PM
Hm, thanks for the comments guys, very useful feedback. It does seem like the master-servant idea is not coming through in this composition. I wonder if the idea is too abstract? Just to paraphrase my original lengthy description, the master and servant relationship is humanity and evolution - in one sense, humanity tries to control the pace and direction of human evolution with technology as its "servant;" in the other sense, humanity's technological advances merely serve to carry out evolution's course.

I think the solution here might be to play down the "neanderthal" character (which I included to reflect the evolution aspect, along with the linear bottom-to-top evolutionary process from neanderthal to artificial/technological being), and make the human guy more central. What do you all think?

redfrog - thanks; I felt like the colors got away from me on the Grand Space Opera illustration, and wanted to have a more controlled palette on this one.

olli - trying, but apparently not working at the moment...

Elfuego - yah, not too happy with the design of the top guy yet; definitely didn't want a menacing feel, so I need to revisit that part. Thanks for the feedback.

Tommy - thanks, glad you like it. I need to fast track this one because I am about to go into another freelance blitz in a few days.

andreas - very good comments, thanks; I think you are right about the neanderthal character, probably going to take him out or minimize somehow.

MDN67 - thanks!

OKMER - thank you.

Arctis - glad you like it; the idea was inspired partly by the book I described in my first post.

omengeorge - I do see that with a lot of similar feedback that this is not clear; so no it's not just you, thanks for your input.

air tiger - thanks, appreciate that.

paperclip - no weird texture brushes or anything - standard round photoshop brushes, and the background has some marker blotches overlaid on it.

cipher - thanks; I have not read the Age of Thinking Machines yet either - it's actually the book he wrote before Age of Spiritual Machines. You should also read Leonard Shlain's book Art & Physics - another incredible book.

unitstudio
03-26-2005, 05:45 PM
Hey Francis, how's goes it mate? Interesting choice of subject.

I read that book some time ago and personally I have a problem post-human advocates like kurzweil: at a time when we might finally comprehend as a species what it means to be human we irrevocably throw it away for base notions of self-improvement based on a competitive, market-driven model - a capitalistist, market-driven evolution where speed and one-upmanship become the defining factors of this future post-human existence rather than coming to a greater appreciation of our world, our connection to it and to each other as human beings (a glimpse of which we witnessed in the wake of the asian tsunami). Instead, we are thrown into this never-ending merry-go-round of making ourselves faster, stronger, quicker et al (why is this necessarily better - Kurzweil never poses that question). So-called negative human experiences and emotions - loss, regret, melancholy, despair, grief etc - things that help define us as rounded-human beings have no place in his dystopia. As painful as these experiences are, we need the 'grittiness of life' to develop in personality and character, and so that we also appreciate the happier moments.

In Kurzweil's future we are all to be deliriously happy in our virtual existence, contemplating our virtual navels, irrevocably separated from that which millions of years of evolution has given us (Kurzweil fails to realise too that people are not a mere collection of parts but since our have brains evolved in a symbiotic synchronous relationship with our bodies, our interraction with our bodies is crucial in defining us). I found his vision of the future underwhelming, short-sighted, frightening, childish, and so very boring.

Also there are problems with the whole downloading memory concept into a faster synthetic brain, as if memories and the individual are mere software, and not also a complex system of chemical reactions and constant neural path rewirings - or to put it crudely, it is both hardware and software. Last, Kurzweil sits in his corporate ivory tower espousing the this future with almost religious zeal (maybe he sees a profit to be made) - a future which is both highly self-indulgent, wasteful of the world's resources and obscenely expensive - ignorant or dismissive of the fact that even today in the world 80 percent of the population are struggling to find even their next meal let alone pondering whether to upload themselves.

In any case, I think recent advancements in biotech is going to make the notion of transforming us into machines or virtual entities (what's appealing in that?) clumsy, redundant, and irrelevant before it even gets off the ground - like the Ousters in Dan Simmon's Hyperion or the Edenists Peter Hamilton's Nights-Dawn Trilogy. Tailoring our own biological evolution rather than disgarding the biological altogether seem far more elegant imho... Rant over..phew...to the concept....

Fantastic stuff as always. A confident yet restained palette. The composition - a trinity - makes it very clear that it reflects an 'evolutionary' process, and while the palette and the overshadowing post-human figure cast it in a sinister, negative air, I think you've created enough ambivilence in the piece for it not to be obvious that you're given an opinion on the subject. The reaction to the concept can be positive or negative depending on one's personal views on the subject matter. Now that takes a deft touch. Nice one mate!

-g

NOOB!
03-26-2005, 05:47 PM
looking cool,moooooooooooooooooooooooooooore!!!

NinjaA55N
03-26-2005, 10:14 PM
Nice concept and original as well, what concerns this challenge. I wish u best of luck and waiting for another masterpiece to be done. :) Will be back soon and read everything so I could follow the process. Keep coming the great work!

francis001
03-28-2005, 05:52 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6110/6110_1111989144_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6110/6110_1111989144_large.jpg)

Hey Doug

Thanks for the detailed feedback. The book IS a very specific interpretation of current technology and its potential, and there is a certain bias in terms of its post human philosophy as you call it. I personally think that the further out you get from the present time, the harder it is to make any predictions about the future in any meaningful way, so it pretty much becomes science fiction at a certain point in the book.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss his views on the integration of human brains with man made technology though. I don't think he is saying that we are merely a collection of parts - in fact one of the things that intrigued me most in the book is his description of modelling artificial intelligence constructs on the decentralized, distributed design of the human brain. I agree with you that a personality is not exactly defined by the layout of circuits or nerve cells - however, I do think it's possible to provide a framework that is structurally very much like that of the human brain and expect that there is a reasonable chance for a "personality" for lack of a better word to come from it. That's the basis of the Turing Test for intelligence; and if it is sufficiently similar to a human personality that one can't tell the difference, why wouldn't we be able to offload some of our brain function into such a construct? (Assuming of course that we also come up with the technology to scan our brains to such a level of detail that we can replicate the structure in artificial materials.)

As far as losing the grittiness of life, one of the things Kurzweil mentioned was the fact that with a hardware backup system copied from our brain neural structure, it might be possible to remember past events with a digital like clarity that could be disturbing. One thing our analog brains do for us (apparently) is to block or fade memories that are disturbing or unpleasant - it's why we generally remember past experiences as being more favorable that perhaps they really were.

There was a recent article in the last issue of WIRED magazine that described an experimental procedure in which a quadruplegic patient was able to learn to control a computer cursor with an electrode implanted in his skull which read the electrical signals generated by his brain. There was a lot of noise that the software had to learn to filter out, and the guy had to practice a lot in order to get reliable results from the interface, but obviously the technology to create a mechanical/electrical interface between the human brain and a computer is available here TODAY. IMHO it's not too far a stretch to achieve some of the things Kurzweil talked about in the book.

Also agree with you that balancing a biological and technological approach to controlling our evolution is more interesting than supplanting the biological with the technological. The latter has been done to death with the Terminator movies and all its copycats. The concept behind the piece is that while the human being expects to alter and control the rate of evolution using the tools at his disposal (technology), his efforts ultimately end up serving evolution's purpose. At least that's how I hope this will be perceived. And yes, I am trying to portray it in a neutral manner from my point of view, precisely so that hopefully that duality comes through.

Noob and Ninja - thanks for the support guys - I don't think this will be any sort of masterpiece, but sincere thanks for the compliment!

francis001
03-28-2005, 05:57 AM
Forgot to talk about the image! Basically trying to make the human more of the central character, and try to portray evolution as the other player in the Master-Servant relationship. Also I tried to make the robot/artificial person less threatening, more of a friendly ASIMO type. I'm finding it difficult to illustrate something that abstract - I'm a pretty literal kinda guy.

Comments and crits welcome as always!

StealthPharaoh
03-28-2005, 06:25 AM
hey, nice work so far man..i checked your website and like your style a lot..i didn't know it was you who made that 2d machineflesh entry..i loved this piece..it's mental

i'll look forward for more updates..best luck

fooxoo
03-28-2005, 07:21 AM
A great idea, looking good so far, good colours and a nice composition...

Lets see where you take it, good luck. :D

Tranchefeux
03-28-2005, 07:29 AM
Hi,
Glad to see you on the new challenge, your first drawing is very
cool, I waits to see the continuation of your direction,
Good luck with you.

Arctis
03-28-2005, 08:21 AM
Hi Francis,
For me, the previous idea works much better, because the idea of evolution is much clearer, more dynamical in its expression. But I guess it depends on what's the most important for you to represent : the human character or the idea of evolution itself.
Good luck anyway ! ;)

R-K
03-28-2005, 08:21 AM
looks good, though it's a bit centered. Anyway, you might want to make the roles a bit more clear, I can only guess who's who here. Sharp technique and nice colors!

NOOB!
03-28-2005, 11:54 AM
damn thats amazing!!

OKMER
03-28-2005, 12:09 PM
Although I agree a bit with Ranath for the centered thing,it's a great start and nice idea behind it!!

sloth79
03-28-2005, 12:21 PM
Hi, simply loves the color usage and the detailed concept. can't wait to see where it'll lead to. all the best! :)

element5
03-28-2005, 01:42 PM
@francis .. Tough topic but I feel you are getting it across very well :thumbsup:

omengeorge
03-28-2005, 01:45 PM
This work is starting to look amazing..whetherr or not it wins the challenge..this is one peice you can be proud of for sure..it looks good..has a detailed thought behind it and draws the veiwer into its imagery.. love the colour pallete you've deemed to use too..Thumbs up Francis..

htough I still feel the M&S corelation is ague..but a human slave to evolution...may work..hope it does..i really like this peice..
love,
Vinesh

artjunkie
03-28-2005, 02:01 PM
great concept... so difficult to visualize, but you seem to be doing an awesome job so far! Have you thought about maybe doing some composition variations to your latest update? I bet you'd come up with some dynamic stuff if you did (just a thought).

keep up the great work!

Cheers,

rawgon
03-29-2005, 09:39 PM
great feeling, made me wonder:rolleyes:

AlyFell
03-29-2005, 10:16 PM
This is great Francis, and at the risk of sounding like a McDonalds advert, I'm lovin' it! The concept that is! Just a thought... out of the three, the 'now' man is expressing character and a degree of dynamism, whereas the others aren't. To some extent maybe this distracts from the 'balance' of the piece. But maybe this is deliberate, as the other two are almost like the ghosts of what was, and what will be... in the end though, it's an excellent piece! :)

Ichthus
03-29-2005, 11:43 PM
Wow, your work is amazing. cant wait to see it finished.

Dreamshark
03-29-2005, 11:55 PM
Great job. It quite an interesting piece. I like the character on the top. Good look.

ghostent
03-30-2005, 06:58 AM
Nice colors and a real interesting choice.:thumbsup:

francis001
03-31-2005, 02:58 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6110/6110_1112237911_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6110/6110_1112237911_large.jpg)

stealth pharaoh - yeh that was me! I\'m glad you liked it.

fooxoo - thank you!

Tranchefeux - glad to see you too!

Arctis - thanks for the feedback; I agree that the idea of evolution is clearer in the earlier version, but the idea of master and servant was NOT as clear. Hopefully this will be a good compromise.

Ranath - thanks, I agree, and will work on it.

NOOB! - thanks!

OKMer - thanks, I will consider that. Still some time left...

sloth79 - thanks, I am fascinated by the concept too; the book I mentioned earlier really inspired a lot of ideas for this challenge.

element5 - thanks!

omengeorge - thanks, I\'m glad you appreciate the concept. Yes, it\'s a difficult one to convey I think, at least for me.

artjunkie - I didn\'t really thrash out a whole bunch of compositions - I only did the first two quick sketches in the concept sketch drawings. I felt that due to the abstract theme, I should try to use as straightforward a composition as possible, so that the \"read\" could be clear.

renderwhite - thanks!

poshspice - thanks for the feedback, I appreciate your views on the character aspect of this. I did want to try to make the human guy the \"main\" character in the piece, with the neanderthal and the artificial guy acting as supporting cast. But still, there is probably room for improvement even with the supporting roles.

Ichthus - thanks, I\'m glad you think so.

Dreamshark - thanks; I think I still need to evolve (no pun intended) the artificial guy on top some more to help convey the story.

ghostent - thanks, appreciate that!

I got some good feedback from my friend Ted Lindsey - to make the artificial guy on top looking up instead of down. I think this makes him a little less menacing, and more \"evolved\" than the human being, who is the only one engaging the viewer by looking directly at the \"camera.\" I also tweaked the caveman so that he is looking down, to sort of represent the past. I removed the floaty data screens - the colors were really jarring, and they were throwing off the composition as well.

I think it is improving in small steps, but I would love to continue to hear your comments - they have been pretty helpful so far.

lanedaughtry
03-31-2005, 04:10 AM
Thanks, I'm a huge fan of your work and I've got yours subscribed as well. Just haven't said anything yet. And to answer your question the second image is a smaller concept that is part of the larger one. Those two avatars are pleasure and pain on the larger pic.

I'm gonna post a new concept here soon that has all the elements, I just have a lot of work in this blocking stage to make sure the themes are conveyed with the poses I have them in.

Good luck and I'll keep checking back here :)

-L

lanedaughtry
03-31-2005, 04:45 AM
Oh yeah, and by way of actual constructive content in a post here...

;)

I do think that altering the focus of the characters looks added a lot to the piece. Its funny but on all the pieces I'm keeping track of I kept on getting hung up on anything to suggest for yours.

-L

sidchagan
03-31-2005, 05:59 AM
Really great concept going here, and your composition is awesome. The colors seems a little drab so far though- even though the style may be the dull tone, I'd suggest adding a tint of something.
On a side note, I love the expression on the middle guy's face.

Velinov
04-01-2005, 04:04 PM
Love your work up to now. Great characters. I'll Keep watching :)

http://farfolina.pochta.ru/death.jpg (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=221933)

mack72
04-01-2005, 04:14 PM
I apologise for not commenting sooner! This is really starting to take shape! I love all of your prep stuff. I've been a fan of your work for a while now. Definately keeping my eye on this peice. Great work!

Cheers
Mack

Morgy
04-01-2005, 06:52 PM
Great work Francis! Haven't you think about some gradation in their clothes? I mean in the line master-servant--master-servant? Naked human body is too well known to the public. Well, just my thought:thumbsup:

CoreyArtE
04-01-2005, 07:11 PM
Hmmm interesting…So are you saying that mankind is a slave to evolution and the technologic benefits that comes along side it? I like the idea, but as far as your current color sketch…The colors are amazing, as expected by someone of your status, but the composition, I think could be stronger. To me it’s alittle irregular how the cave man, and the futureman at the top and bottom of the picture are facing directly forward, but then you have the middle man facing at an angle different from the rest of the characters. I think that throws the piece off balance.

I suppose my suggestion would be to change it so the middle guy is facing forward, and has both arms up instead of only one, or both arms down…with ever suits your boat..But other than that good job, very stronge theme! I wish you the best!:thumbsup:

CoreyArtE
04-01-2005, 07:22 PM
Great work Francis! Haven't you think about some gradation in their clothes? I mean in the line master-servant--master-servant? Naked human body is too well known to the public. Well, just my thought:thumbsup:

Speaking of which I like that nice tightly nit sweater on the futureguy at the top. Reminds of me of someone I would see at a jazz club.

gra7
04-01-2005, 07:41 PM
cool idea ! great ! dont stop ! c ya !

NOOB!
04-01-2005, 07:43 PM
so whens the next update??

newcenturydsn
04-01-2005, 07:55 PM
this is pretty cool francis, that book sounds really good<<if I only knew how to read>> haha is there a movie? Wasn't it called the Matrix, Just kiddin!

i look forward to seeing where this goes, keep it up!

kaparo
04-01-2005, 09:03 PM
Hi Francis
Very very good idea. It exited me inmediately! Reminds me "Crystal Express" from Bruce Sterling and all of his post-humanistic tales. I haven't read anything else from him but this one seem excellent to me. Reminding him, I think the fussion between human and machine must be a little more painfull. I mean: even the book you have mentioned ( I dont know it) is positive, I think evolution cant be positive or negative but a complex fix of different and contradictory aspects process. In a so fast changed world sometimes we do not have the time to adapted ourselves to it so it hurts. The wires plugged into the human skull are still too simple. I think it must be more sophisticated fussed in an strange way with the anatomy and the human expression must be strong, transmiting to us the feeling of change. In Machine Flesh Challenge there are some good designs about it.
Your compositon, drawing, color, etc, looks excellent to me!
Good luck!! Congratulations! See you around!

TheFirstAngel
04-01-2005, 09:37 PM
cool piece, scary vision. no crits so far, like your work a lot.
best luck and lodsa fun, keep it up! cheers

paulwdavidson
04-01-2005, 09:41 PM
Keep up the good work..............is it's anything like what we're used to seeing from you, it should be excellent

Paul

am7
04-04-2005, 08:41 AM
This really looks awesome already! I will be watching this :)

Tommy Lee
04-04-2005, 11:42 AM
Hey francis!

I have to say, I am impressed by your concept. I really like the way you described the evolutionary aspect with the translucent overlaying of the figures. It reads very well...

Just great:thumbsup:

Enayla
04-04-2005, 11:45 AM
Wheeee, I'm loving your concept, Francis! (then again, I am a total fangirl, I love everything you do)

Favourite bits here would be the expression on the fella in the background, and the beautiful face on the mid-guy (he looks quite lovely, really, noble almost). Anyway, coming along wonderfully - sorry if I missed this, but are you keeping these colours? I'm such a colour-freak, but for some reason this works really well in monochrome.

nebezial
04-04-2005, 11:47 AM
ok i didnt even look at ur title and i thought, cool , human evolution... that says a lot:thumbsup:

francis001
04-05-2005, 07:21 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6110/6110_1112682093_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6110/6110_1112682093_large.jpg)

lane - thanks for any feedback you've got; if you can't think of anything constructive, glad to just have you say "hi" too! I will check in on your thread again...

sidchagan - thanks; the monochromatic color scheme was intentional, but I will think about how to add some spot of color. I tried some floating web/network screens earlier, but it was too much color for me. I think I have to figure out a way to integrate it a little more elegantly.

velinov - thank you, I appreciate it.

mack - thank you for the support! Hey are you one of the "cdf orphans?"

morgy - thank you; hmmm, interesting point. I will think about that idea.

corey - I guess that is one way to interpret this piece, but I was hoping that it could be read in a couple of different ways. Yes, mankind is a slave to evolution, but not in an obvious way. From humanity's point of view (or at least on the part of this one guy), evolution has been "tamed" or "conquered" through the use of technology. So, depending on your point of view, the master and servant roles can be applied to either entity.

Thanks also for the composition feedback - I think it will be tricky to pull off such a static composition and still have the characters express some personality. But yeah, could work better if this was set in a jazz club... ;) I will take your suggestions into consideration as I work on this.

gra7 - cool, thanks!

NOOB! - Now!

newcenturydsn - haha wiseguy! Yeah, kind of a hackneyed theme, so I hope I can bring something new to this table. We'll see...

kaparo - yes, exactly! Good thoughts on the technology aspect too. Yes, not too imaginative right now is it?

the1st_angel - thanks very much for the support!

paul - I'm very flattered, thanks!

am7 - thanks, I hope I can find the time to finish it. I really am enjoying the theme.

tommy - I'm glad you think so, cool!

enayla - thanks! Yeah, most likely this will be the color scheme. As mentioned above, I might try to add a spot of color or somehow introduce a signature color or something somehow. Let me know if you have any bright ideas... Your piece will crush us all!

nebezial - cool! Someone gets it haha! Thank you.

I just wanted to post a snapshot/closeup of some work I have done on the human guy. No major changes or deviations, more just trying to now add a personality to the character so I can start getting a sense of who he is and what he's about. Helps me to get into the "world" of the painting.

mack72
04-05-2005, 09:24 AM
This starting to really take shape now. Looking forward to seeing the next stages!

Yes! I am one of the 'cdf orphans'. Like a nomad I wander around the other boards, mainly eatpoo and conceptart, and here of course! Although, I haven't posted anything on any of them for a LONG time. I need to become more prolific. Like your good self!

Cheers
mack

francis001
04-11-2005, 07:51 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6110/6110_1113202260_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6110/6110_1113202260_large.jpg)

hi Mack - haha, yeah me too.

I had taken a break from this piece for a while, mainly due to other obligations. But the time away from it did allow me to see it with fresh eyes. I felt like my interpretation of the human-being-who-is-enhanced-by-his-technology seemed a little dated. The cables are very 80s or 90s - I mean, even today we are seeing more and more wireless connectivity in our peripherals and hardware. I do want to still indicate that the human character in the image has undergone invasive (but voluntary) procedures to integrate his technology with his biological self, but I thought that there must be a more compelling way to show that. I'm still trying to come up with something interesting for that...

One other side note I wanted to add was a reference to the "third eye" or Agna Chakra, which in Buddhism represents enlightenment. Specifically, one attains an enlightened state of being after progressing through, and having experienced, several states of being (reincarnation); learning from those experiences, one gains a better understanding of one's place in creation.

In the image, the human being has implanted a "third eye" (really just some sort of IR receiver, wireless network adaptor or something along those lines), showing that he has been able to forcibly obtain enlightenment through the power of his technology. The artificial being above him does not have any deliberate construct like that to gain enlightenment - the artificial being attains his enlightenment by virtue of his place in the evolutionary history of humanity. As a "reincarnated" version of humanity (and sort of by extension, an "evolved" techno-human), the artificial being has evolved beyond his human-technological roots and occupies an enlightened state of being.

Whoo! How's that for a load of you know what??

francis001
04-13-2005, 07:21 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6110/6110_1113373284_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6110/6110_1113373284_large.jpg)

Another in-progress shot - I have left off painting the human character and started refining the "neanderthal" character at the bottom of the image.

cheeeng
04-13-2005, 07:33 AM
seen your stuffs. Looks good. I am watching you.haha

Korline
04-13-2005, 07:43 AM
this guy looks real, love the human design

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=224972

fooxoo
04-13-2005, 05:31 PM
Scary look! The guy needs some dreadlocks :P Not bad!

walrus
04-13-2005, 05:36 PM
Francis - Looking good so far. I like the new vchanges that you've made in the middle human's face. TRhe expression is more poignant now, I like it. And the third eye, too. I'm not sure what the purpose is of the bead on the screen-left side of the face under the eye - doubtless you could fudge an excuse if pressed - but with his new expression it reads almost like a tear, which is really cool.

The neanderthal is coming along nicely as well. Perhaps his lips seem a bit dark, maybe? Great hair and facial wrinkles on that one so far, too.

Anyhow, can't wait to see all three setions put together. Good luck!

-mike

arkinet
04-13-2005, 06:22 PM
great job on the man, i'd love to see dreadlock on him:)

Goro
04-14-2005, 01:03 PM
great francis

just awesome! :applause:

francis001
04-18-2005, 08:17 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6110/6110_1113808638_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6110/6110_1113808638_large.jpg)

Hi all

Just another painting step. Sorry for the lack of participation lately - I am in the middle of a mega crunch freelance period. I very much want to complete this in time but we shall see...

HOON
04-18-2005, 09:05 AM
i had a feeling that it was your work just by looking at the thumbnail!. great work so far.
as i always thought, i really like the choice of color you made, and the volume you give to each dimension.
busy with freelance work huh? id really like to see your entry at the finishing line!
inspiring as always. keep up the excellent work!

authentic
04-18-2005, 09:59 AM
Just to say I really like the background character. So much personnality and details.
Like the overall colors

Vectorius
04-18-2005, 10:05 AM
I like your concept. I like this universe "biomecanic".. Your image is really sympathetic and the colors which you uses gives a good atmosphere to the whole image..The expression of the central character appears good.. I'm in a hurry to see the continuationGood work!:thumbsup:

Good luck

dougbot
04-21-2005, 11:58 PM
This is looking very cool Francis. Hopefully your mega crunch is coming to an end.

liquidwerx
04-22-2005, 02:43 AM
Good luck dude. Concept rocks.

M

cha0t1c1
04-22-2005, 04:04 AM
I love ur style...been watching for progress since u started...excellent composition technique...waiting for more...

TheFirstAngel
05-21-2005, 11:26 PM
man i really hope you take this over to the WIP section and finnish it there. its such a streoong piece and it would be a shame not to finnish it! love your style, keep on rocking mate!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

beelow
05-22-2005, 12:08 AM
Dang, I really wanted to see what you would have pulled off in this contest. I hope u finish this image...Holla Back!:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
05-22-2005, 12:08 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.