PDA

View Full Version : Master and Servant 2D Entry: Sónia Saúde

SoniaNotRed
03-22-2005, 09:44 PM
Sónia Saúde has entered the Master and Servant 2D.

Challenge Page (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/masterandservant/view_entries.php?challenger=6055)

Latest Update: Final Image: Waiting for a Drop of Light
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6055/6055_1116017391_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6055/6055_1116017391_large.jpg)

The Artist as a "slave" to Inspiration - driven to create by its command or left lost and idle in its absence.
The Artist looks in awe at the Creative Storm, hands cupped, waiting for a drop of "light".
Colors are imagination, lightning sparks as the mind works. The cloudy hands point the way, offer ideas, or tell the artist when to stop.

Well, this is it!
No major fixes, just a couple of hairs, a bit of softening on the lips and a little touch up on the eyes.

Thank you eveyone for tips and support, and best of luck to all!

SoniaNotRed
03-22-2005, 10:24 PM
Well, this is probably just wishfull thinking on my part but what the hell!...

Upon reading the topic I had a couple of ideas but soon found out that someone was already working on them - even though from a different angle. I then turned to Plan C - making a list of possible Master-Servant relations and reasoning the thing out instead of waiting for "a light".

As I cursed my cruel lack of inspiration it struck me: artists are very much slaves to inspiration, aren't they?

I mean, we do what IT drives us to do - or do nothing when IT is not around to "give us instructions".

This was imediatly followed by a verse from a famous portuguese poem/song that says "Dream commands life"

This could be a name...

Half an hour later - after scribbling about muses, brainstorms and wings of fantasy - I pretty much settled for doing an artist (female?) with an expression of wonder (or hope?) on her face as a storm (personified?) of color and light thunders in the background.

It's still kind of hazy and lacking what I feel should be the necessary emphasis on the "relationship" but...

More later... And good luck everyone!

Squibbit
03-22-2005, 10:30 PM
ooo wow, quite an opening , well , good that u got some idea to play
with and hopefully it evolves to a beautiful image

and welcome to the contest :)

SoniaNotRed
03-23-2005, 01:47 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6055/6055_1111542427_large.jpg

This is just a quick attempt to capture the idea. I'm sleepy. More tomorrow.

Thanks Squibbit :)

paperclip
03-23-2005, 08:54 AM
Hi fellow DSGer. Glad to see you're here! This should be a good pic..
I like the idea, the artist slave to his inspiration. Creative!

coCoKNIght
03-23-2005, 01:40 PM
Hi fellow DSGer. Glad to see you're here! This should be a good pic..
I like the idea, the artist slave to his inspiration. Creative!

dito, oh, and have a look at this one: http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=221750&highlight=sacha+diener
you'll like it :twisted:

SoniaNotRed
03-23-2005, 03:58 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6055/6055_1111593504_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6055/6055_1111593504_large.jpg)

That hand thing was my idea of how to represent Inpiration commanding the artist. The problem is: there is just no way I could get a big hand (and arm?) in this composition without ruining everything!
So, what if, instead of a big one, I put a lot of small cloudy hands (what am I getting into?!) pointing the way, offering ideas, or telling the artist when to stop?

The foreground will be "closed" by the artist's flowing/flying hair. The background sort of fades from clouds into a brain-like pattern.

The artist has her(his?) hands open eager to receive Inpiration's Gift (still not sure about this one... It derives from one of my original ideas - to portray the artist as sort a beggar). I thought about smudging her face with paint to show her condition as an artist...

Also, I'm thinking of this as more than a painting - mirrors as well as smoke (clouds). I'm no painter and digital 2D can go far beyond what you can do on a canvas, so... But that's kind of fuzzy too right now...

DrFx
03-23-2005, 04:40 PM
Hi, SóniaNotRed! Good to see someone from PT here! I like your concept and wish you best of luck for the Challenge! You'll find this a great way to learn and improve, I'm sure!
Cheers!

SoniaNotRed
03-23-2005, 04:58 PM
coCoKNIght - DOH!!! :banghead: You evil man!
Well, so much for a unique idea, hehe!:p
But you are right: I like it.

DrFx - Obrigada!

Thanks, guys!

MDN67
03-23-2005, 05:00 PM
Welcome sonia and good luck:thumbsup:

SoniaNotRed
03-24-2005, 02:08 PM
Things are finally coming into focus and I can now see how to get that cloud thing going and how the colors are going to be. I keep adding details to the picture, though. I'll have to go digital and assemble the whole thing for the Line Art Milestone before I decide what stays and what goes.
I will now sketch the background elements and *sigh* a whole bunch of hands!
Pics later.

Thanks, MDN67!

coCoKNIght
03-24-2005, 03:26 PM
Hi there. Making the artis like a beggar is a really kewl idea. I like that a lot. I have the feeling that this is gonna be a very beautiful image! :thumbsup:

offbeatworlds
03-25-2005, 06:10 PM
Wow, I really like your idea here! Nice composition and concepts. Can't wait to see more updates!

bealobo
03-25-2005, 10:42 PM
Hi Sonia!
glad you joined! that´s a good idea! keep it up!
about all the hand thing you were thinking... I inmediately though of those religious paintings, and the paintings in the chapels´ ceilings and so. I´m sure there are several like that in Portugal or anyways in the books, I think that can be an interesting research about hands in the air commanding or inspiring. Do you know what I mean? I´m sure you do and I hope it helps.
Good luck!

SoniaNotRed
03-26-2005, 10:47 PM
Ah, my loyal fans!:)

Drat! I meant to post 2 days ago but things didn't turn out as I expected. Anyway...

coCoKNIght - Well, the beggar idea was discarded right after I though of it (it implied a Inspiration character btw :p ). Still, I think the hands I have now pretty much do the trick - they still have a bit of pleading atitude without actually begging.

Sylanya - I can't wait to get past the Line Art Milestone! Apart from the creative process, I find this stage is rather boring! So, are you gonna join us in the Challenge?

bealobo - Hehe! I caught myself making the same religious art conection although that wasn't my intent when sketching. Hey, I see you've finally joined in! I'll be paying you a visit in a sec!:)

Thanks for visiting and supporting all of you!:love:

SoniaNotRed
03-26-2005, 10:50 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6055/6055_1111877411_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6055/6055_1111877411_large.jpg)

Composite image of the sketches for all the hands. I used my own (reflected) left hand as reference in most of them.
As you may have noticed I've named the picture "Waiting for a Drop of Light", since I decided to keep the cupped hands of the Artist.

jmBoekestein
03-26-2005, 11:46 PM
I think somehow the colour you chose fits the theme or something. It just works I think.

I think the sketches are very good in proportions.

Good luck Sonia!

Gord-MacDonald
03-27-2005, 01:01 AM
Hi Sonia

Cool hands. I am looking forward to seeing your work progress!

Gord

SoniaNotRed
03-27-2005, 01:03 AM
jmBoekestein - Thanks! About the color...hehe...:blush: I just realized I uploaded the damn thing in CMYK - that's why it's looking "negative" here. It's OK on the milestone...

Here, I'll post another one.

http://nekoi.no.sapo.pt/Asai/Master%20n%20Servant%2003.jpg

edit - Thank you, gordonm!

SoniaNotRed
03-27-2005, 06:56 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6055/6055_1111949769_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6055/6055_1111949769_large.jpg)

Sketch for the Artist. No reference for the face, just checked a few pics and mirror for the head's perspective. It might still need some correction, though...

Falcorr
03-27-2005, 07:02 PM
Hi SoniaNotRed!

Now its finally your opportiny to do those photoreal humans you have always dreamed of.

So lots of luck from me! :thumbsup:

SoniaNotRed
03-27-2005, 09:46 PM
Falcor - Thanks! Actually, I had a go at it in the Figure Drawing Topic a few weeks ago. Not my best (the shading was really rough) but not far from it either, I'm afraid...
This one is only head and hands (and already I see the shoulders are to large, tsk!), but it will be painted :argh:. I'll try my best to do something nice.

TheFirstAngel
03-27-2005, 09:52 PM
boa noite, sonja. Just came to watch your progress and officially wish you a lot of fun and best luck. nice developiung here, looking forward to your progress :) cheers

NOOB!
03-27-2005, 10:01 PM
looking good,about half the hands are great,sum need sum work,looks dislocated in sum.

keep at it!

ArtisticVisions
03-27-2005, 10:01 PM
Hello Sonia, interesting concept you got going on; I love your hand studies :) (years ago in high school, that used to be all I was interested in drawing).

bealobo
03-27-2005, 10:28 PM
hi Sonia,

the expression in her face is very nice and true to the concept, I think you have it.

jmBoekestein
03-28-2005, 04:53 PM
Hi sonia, I was looking at the girl face, it's very beautiful I think.

But I think some things are off perspectively. it's hard to tell if she's lying down or standing or leaning away from something. Shoulders are a bit wide too.

PS: the very round shape of the nostrils had me thinking I was looking upwards to her. IS that how I should see it?

SoniaNotRed
03-28-2005, 05:35 PM
the1st_angel - Thank you for visiting, I know you have your hands full with your own thread (Yes, I'm keeping an eye on you!:twisted: )
I'll be letting you develop your work some more before I post there again.

NOOB! - Yeah, I suppose some of them look a bit funny - I was still warming up! Fortunatly, I only really need a couple of good looking hands because most of them will have rather lose contours, being cloudy and all that.

ArtitisticVisions - Thanks! Hands were probably the only decent thing (apart from a pumpkin!) I drew in the only 5 ou 6 art classes I ever attended! :D

bealobo - Gracias! I'm glad I nailed it, although it still looks kind of raw to me. I'm hoping the color and shading will really make it come alive.

jmBoekestein - Thank you. Well, I think her jaw is still a bit off and you're right about the shoulders (I only noticed that after posting it :banghead: ) She's supposed to be standing and looking up in rapture - we viewers are either in front or slightly below her (never gave much thought about that...)

I've spend quite a bit of my Sunday drawing brains(!) believe or not! I'm now off to the fun part - getting it all together so I can show you guys what I'm up to. I'll be posting as soon as possible. See ya!

coCoKNIght
03-28-2005, 06:41 PM
Hi sonja, I'd at least add some shadows in your sketches, otherwiese it's somewhat hard to critique on cause light and shadow can make such a difference...

jmBoekestein
03-28-2005, 08:09 PM
In regards to perspective, just imagine the face as a cylinder with bulges and indents and draw the features accordingly. It helps a lot to set up a separate layer for guidelines sometimes. Hope you have Wacom!

C Ya.

bealobo
03-28-2005, 08:16 PM
hey jmBokestein, that´s a tip! great! I´ll come back to the dsg and apply it, for sure. :D

come on Sonia, show us more! :)

SoniaNotRed
03-28-2005, 11:29 PM
coCoKNIght - Hehe...You're probably right... Sorry about that. I never had to do concept sketching for other people to work with, so I tend to rely more heavily on my own mental images.

jmBoekestein - Thanks for the tips, I'll keep that in mind although... :blush: I generally suck at using that kind of aid. I'm more confortable thinking bones and muscle but I suppose that does get in the way sometimes. And I do have a Wacom Intuos - just for painting though, I can't seem to draw with it...:blush: :blush: (I should be really ashamed of saying such things...)

bealobo - Here's another quickie just to keep you busy 'til I have time for more. Sorry, coCoKNIght, still no shadows.

I wish I wasn't neglecting the DSG so much lately. It seems as soon as I turned my back everyone started doing masterpieces. :D The next voting will be hard indeed.

SoniaNotRed
03-28-2005, 11:50 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6055/6055_1112053853_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6055/6055_1112053853_large.jpg)

Just a rough composite sketch to clarify things a bit.
- It still has no defined clouds;
- I'm still going to change some of the "lesser" hands because they're not looking right;
- The closed hands are holding lightning;
- The brains are so good they are actually gross, LOL! I'll be dropping or changing them too;
- I've changed the size\orientation of the pic and that's going to stay that way. More dynamic, huh? (That forced me do put some hair extensions on the girl, however, that's why is looking weird right now...)
- Do her hands seem to big?
- The background will be black with bright colors in the clouds. I have yet to decide on the hair color. Shiny brown, most likely;
- I'll try to post a shaded version of the pic soon.

jmBoekestein
03-29-2005, 11:35 AM
Shame on you sonia!

kiddin' , I really like where you went with this! And all the brains look really cool! I'm wondering thoud whether the transition might be too abrupt. But that's because it's still rough I think.
Good one!!!:thumbsup:

bealobo
03-29-2005, 12:11 PM
yeah, I think this composition works best, I like the frame you have chosen, about the hair extensions... you can make her hair to be behind her and fade the hair with the backdrop.

SoniaNotRed
03-29-2005, 10:31 PM
I'm now doing a quick shaded version that will most likely be my Line Art Milestone (wishfull thinking...:rolleyes: ).
The expression on the girl's face is turning out all wrong but she's looking so cute!:love:

jmBoekestein - I still don't know what I'll do with the brains but I definitely want to change that realistic, organic look (yuck!)

bealobo - The hair blowing sideways was meant to cover to background so I wouldn't have to do an infinite plane (I had no idea to put in it! :p ). Besides, now that the image is kind of horizontal, if I the hair blows backwards the whole "weight" of the pic will fall on the right side. It's still going to fade into the background on the left and bottom of the image, though.

I hope to post it tomorrow.
Keep your fingers crossed!

coCoKNIght
03-30-2005, 09:00 AM
That's looking great!! (even without shadows) Have you already thought about the color palette you're gonna use? 'cause when I look at your sketch I immediatly imagine the final piece with tons of different vivid colors, and with pink as the dominant color :scream:

THE Wizard
04-01-2005, 10:28 PM
You know I cant help the felling that one of the hands in the 1. picture is actualy a rock god. I mean it has that three fingers down and two up kind of pose. If it's rock, than let it rock!:)

My Master & SerVanT 2D (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=225858)

jmBoekestein
04-03-2005, 12:35 PM
yuck indeed, but it's done well though. Maybe you could give it a nonnatural colour so it only reminds of a brain. Symbols always work best though.

You're not getting lazy on us are you?:)

SoniaNotRed
04-03-2005, 05:28 PM
My apologies for such a late reply. :sad:

I've got to stop saying when I intend to post the next picture 'cause everytime I do it something gets in the way and I leave you guys waiting. :banghead:
It's now been 5 days and I haven't touched the pic again.:blush: *shrinks away in shame* :blush:

coCoKNIght - Thanks! Pink (and\or red) was among my choices for the bright colors in the clouds. I had not thought about having a dominant color (just black as a unifying element) but your comment ended up giving me some new ideas (thank you!:)). Still, my favourite color is blue and the one I most often mix with black, so I guess you'll be seeing more blue than anything else.

THE Wizard - Actually it's clouds! :) But, yeah, I guess it would make a good sculpture too. Thanks for visiting!

jmBoekestein - Well, coCoKNIght got my gears going again :p and I thought about just making thin neon-blue lines hinting what is now in thick black. Plus I always intended to have the pattern distorted into a dome-like shape to give the background more "room", so to speak.

I'm going to start anouncing my updates in my signature so you guys won't waste your time coming here needlessly. See you...er...when I do....:D

jmBoekestein
04-03-2005, 06:43 PM
But you have to give us little things every now and then. As they always say, just keep 'em wanting. :wise:

Anyway, sounds really great. Problem is I only check siggies for link, so I'll just be checking and pestering you for more!!!:wip:

Good ideas!:thumbsup:

SoniaNotRed
04-05-2005, 12:19 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6055/6055_1112656779_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6055/6055_1112656779_large.jpg)

Not exactly Line Art but it will have to do...
- I finally defined the clouds but I think I'll still be doing some changes. Something isn't quite right...
- New and defined hands (they're so cute!). Maybe too defined - I'll probably be blurring the smaller ones a bit. And blending them more into the cloud...
- The light rays need fuzzing.
- Not much left of the "brains" anymore. But it seems like a good finish (once it's properly done).
- The girl's face looks all wrong right now 'cause I didn't take the time to fix her expression (and her jaw). This version is just meant to give everybody a general idea of the lighting.
- Next stop: colors.
Yay!!

SoniaNotRed
04-05-2005, 12:27 AM
This one is dedicated to the pesters! :)

jmBoekestein
04-05-2005, 01:05 PM
Rats! If only I'd gotten up a wee bit earlier!

Looking Saweet Sonia. I really big jump from the line art. It's going to be wonderful. Only thing that distractes me is the lines coming from the fingers. But I haven't got a clue about which colours you're going to use.

(you aint of the hook!):thumbsup:

blackdragoncg
04-05-2005, 01:49 PM
Hi Sonia, Wow things have really started to take shape here...Good luck with bringing the work together...Looking good so far :thumbsup: Rock on

SoniaNotRed
04-05-2005, 05:30 PM
jmBoekestein - Yes, the lines... This morning when I logged in I looked at it and thought: "hey, it's Spidey's web!" LOL! And the clouds still look like smoke - her hair must be on fire!:D
For some strange reason my pics always seem worse after I post them, hehe!

I now have to figure out how to fix all of that.

Thanks, guys!:)

pBarrelas
04-05-2005, 05:34 PM
LOL, don't worry about that!! I think that you have the main concept, now you only have to fix some small things. You'll be alright you'll see!!

SoniaNotRed
04-05-2005, 10:00 PM
The Background
I thought it would be cool to make a small online tut showing my somewhat archaic techniques. It won't be of much use to most people around here (damn pros!:D Kidding!) but it might come in handy for beginners. I've had people always asking me stuff about PS through the years, so I guess that means I must know something about it.:) I'm hoping this will be helpfull to someone out there. Enjoy!

Working with - Photoshop 5.5.2; Wacom Intuos
File size - 34.16 x 31.82 cm; 13.45 x 12.53 in; 4035 x 3758 px (including 0.5 cm bleed)
300 dpi CMYK
I once worked in pre-press so I got into the habit of having bleed and CMYK mode. Also, that's why the black background isn't just black but a mix of black, blue and magenta. (This is a Grayscale version.)

http://nekoi.no.sapo.pt/Asai/Part%201.jpg

Aibrush Tool
I started with the skecth in a Luminosity layer (about 25%) over the background for reference. I turned it on and off until I got the hand more or less defined and then proceeded without it. The airbrush was in Screen mode (5 to 20% depending), background color. I'm using predefined brushes, sizes 30 to 500 (soft).

As you can see, I start by hinting bone and muscle and then fill the full shape of the hand.

Nothing fancy about it. Basically, I just screen away until I'm happy with it. If something gets to bright, I just switch to Multiply and darken it back.

The clouds and the hands holding light have the highligths done in Screen white (5% or less). Unlike the black-blue of the background, the white seems luminescent and has greater impact.

SoniaNotRed
04-05-2005, 10:08 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6055/6055_1112735312_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6055/6055_1112735312_large.jpg)

Just a little color cheating over the shading to see how it sould go. I started with the colors I had thought about and then changed everything 'till it was more balanced (that's why there's no glossy finish in the nails, btw). That doesn't mean this is final, though.

SoniaNotRed
04-05-2005, 10:21 PM
pBarrelas - Thank you!

This is it, guys - start shooting and be merciless!:D
Seriously, feel free to give your most honest input, no matter how "not-nice" it may seem.
It's now time to start rendering this thing properly and I would like to hear your opinions about the colors or whatever.

jmBoekestein
04-05-2005, 10:21 PM
There seems to be a wide variety of working methods for that matter Sonia, thanks for sharing!:thumbsup:Gotta try that soon.

And my my aren't we fast! looks incredible when you look back one day. And OOoooh, here hands are so nice!!!:applause:

PS:Since you're asking for it, I think the background could do with more filling in. Just more things to look at.
And it would be nice to have the lady up front jump out more, sorta like she's the shining light, the vessel of creativity. Hahah, :thumbsup:, I'll be back in fifteen minutes to see if you've finished it.

pBarrelas
04-06-2005, 02:08 AM
I think that you could add some element, like a clock or something, to represent the time. Timing is crucial when we are looking for inspiration, some times is faster than others. Hope this could help!!

SoniaNotRed
04-06-2005, 03:27 PM
Doh! The 15 minutes are up!

jmBoekestein
the girl - yes, she doesn't look all that impressed with all the FX coming out of her hair, right now. :D I will start by rendering her face and fixing her expression - wich was always supposed to me more like what you describe.

the background - well, I always meant to have a lot of empty black in it. I generaly use black to make colors stand out and this is such an example.
I keep a log where I write down my ideas as the work progresses. Among other things, these included glowing neurons (first as the source of lighting in the cloud, and second as the starting point of the brain-lines in the background) and gears (the workings of the mind) also in the background.
Of course, in order to have any of these things I would have further extend the picture to the left (make it double page), get her hair down a bit and put an infinite plane behind her and the clouds.

pBarrelas
This is where your idea would come in. The gears would turn into clock gears and I'd throw in an hourglass to represent time.
Having time in the cloud itself wouldn't work, though. Time can press Inpiration and Inpiration can take Time, but they are diferent things and Inspiration is the Master here.
Time as Man's Master would be another concept (one I haven't seen yet, btw. Anyone?)

So, that's it - should I go for a double-page size?

Thank you both for your suggestions!:thumbsup:

Coreius
04-06-2005, 03:47 PM
I would think moving the image to centre you bring out the picture better. As said on above you would need more expression on the girl. I can see it turning out to a nice picture so work hard! :buttrock:

SoniaNotRed
04-06-2005, 04:40 PM
Coreius - The first sketches had a central composition but, as the image evolved, I felt the need to change it to its current look - those big hands on the clouds (and those are the most important hands next to the girl's own) dictating the whole balance of the pic as they point left. Also, it´s the way I have of getting some dynamic in an otherwise static image.

Anyway, thanks for dropping by and leaving your input! :thumbsup:
*going to work real hard* :)

bealobo
04-06-2005, 08:01 PM
HEy!
these updates looks so cool, I love the motion in the hands, it´s giving the painting a lot of dynamic, action or whatever it is said.
I think you should put something in the left up corner, cause it looks a little unbalanced.
Otherwise I like the way it is developping.
and... thanks for the little tut.
:thumbsup:

SoniaNotRed
04-07-2005, 12:20 PM
Thank you, bealobo!

Quote:
"...it´s giving the painting a lot of dynamic, action or whatever it is said."

You know, I don´t trust myself to speak spanish 'cause I never took lessons or anything - puedo intentarlo pero estoy segura que me resulta portuñol, je jejeje :p - but I do understand most of it so feel free to switch anytime.

ArtisticVisions
04-07-2005, 02:44 PM
I'm not too keen on the woman's face for some reason; maybe cause of the black areas. :shrug:

One thing to remember of painting, not just for digital art, but for traditional work as well, is to never (or very rarely) use true black for shading.

bealobo
04-07-2005, 03:38 PM
Sonia! you´re spanish is excellent!

what I meant was "dinamismo" ó "movimiento".

Looking forward to the next update!

SoniaNotRed
04-07-2005, 03:51 PM
ArtisticVisions - yes, you're right about the black shading, but... *whispering* don't tell anyone but that's not color shading it's just color mode over grayscale, hehe! :)
Thank you for the sound advice, though.:thumbsup:

bealobo - Gracias! That was my first and last sentence! (I better quit while I'm ahead!:D )

AirbORn
04-07-2005, 04:05 PM
The colours look good and the character is very well done. I just have a hard time figuring out what the relationship between the master and servant, I am not even sure which one is which? I'll check back soon to see what you plan on doing. Perhaps I'll have a better idea then. :)

SoniaNotRed
04-07-2005, 04:46 PM
AirbORn - Thank you! There's a full explanation of my concept on page 1, and I've been trying very hard not to loose track of that. I'm hoping once I fix her face, the relationship will be more obvious.:)

SoniaNotRed
04-08-2005, 11:32 PM
Composition
I noticed that I've been spending a lot of time trying to explain my choice of composition and I can recall at least 3 different occasions in other threads where people expressed their doubts on how to properly "frame" their images.
So I made up my mind about having a lil tut on composition and maybe this time manage to be less confusing about my intentions.
It's kind of hard for me to explain this things since I tend to rely more on instinct than standard regulations, but after consulting a book on photography I discovered that I could very well have written its text on the subject. I guess there are really no other words to explain this. Anyway, with a little technical help, here goes.

Central Composition
Central composition relies on symmetry. Most animals are atracted to symmetry (google it up and you'll see what I mean) and we humans, beings suckers for everything that is orderly and neat can take it to extremes!
Lets start with my 2nd sketch:

http://nekoi.no.sapo.pt/Asai/Part%202%200.jpg

1. Not exact symmetry but close enough. The elements of the picture bear equal weight on both halves.
2. Also, notice the vertical dynamic following the picture's orientation - your eyes move from the hands on the foreground to her face, follow her gaze to the clouds and then go back down to the background.

What happens if you change this?

http://nekoi.no.sapo.pt/Asai/Part%202%201.jpg

Well, it's still symmetrical and there's still equal weigh on both halves, but now that the image is wider those halves both weight in the middle of "nothing". This leads us to "The Rule" - namely, the Rule of the Thirds. See what happens when the image gets split in 3:

http://nekoi.no.sapo.pt/Asai/Part%202%202.jpg

Now you can see that in pic 1 the weight is still balanced, but in pic 2, two thirds of the image have a lot of nothing to see and what there is to be seen seems to be stuck still in the middle. In order to make the picture work, I'd have to further add symmetrical elements to the background (pink).

Thirds, motion and dynamics
Lets move on to my last composition. What happened here?
I added the big hands in the clouds and that, of course, forced me to enlarge the image. And since it was no longer symmetrical, centering it no longer made sense. Also, there's now a different dynamic.

http://nekoi.no.sapo.pt/Asai/Part%202%203.jpg

The hands suggest a motion to the left, leading away our eyes in that direction. Therefore, it's important to have room where... well... where your eyes can go. Of course, you can argue: "But it's just empty black in there, what are we supposed to look at?". But imagine the image gets cut right next to the last finger - your eyes will run smack into the picture's edge! Not only it's abrupt, but it's claustrophobic and just plain weird.

Also, if the background isn´t more or less clear near the hands (empty or with very faded elements) the motion loses strenght, vanishes in the middle of too many shapes and/or colors all wanting your attention.

The rule of thirds can be taken one step farther to make things even clearer. Lets make an horizontal division.

http://nekoi.no.sapo.pt/Asai/Part%202%204.jpg

Now we can see how the elements are balanced both in width and height. Plus we now have 4 intersections wich tell us where are the "core locations", if you will, of the images. Have your subject laying over any of these 4 key points, extending along the lines, and you will have a hard time getting your composition wrong. Here:

http://nekoi.no.sapo.pt/Asai/Part%202%205.jpg

Notes
Back to motion, think about movie shots or TV. You always have extra space on the side the action is going to. Even when a person is running towards the camera you will usualy see him/her coming from some distance away and not appearing all of the sudden in your face, although keeping the same framing of the actor all of the time can be easily done.

A subject will - not always, but as a general rule - tell where you need room by the direction towards it's leaning, the direction its limbs are resting in, the way it is facing or just the direction its eyes are gazing. Once you get the feeling of how these imaginary lines flow within a frame you will also be able to start making successful exceptions.

Well, that's that!
To those who didn't know about it, I hope I made any sense.

Slav
04-09-2005, 12:01 AM
hey there just stopping by to wish you good luck!

SoniaNotRed
04-09-2005, 02:21 PM
Thank you, Slav, and good luck to you too!:)

Squibbit
04-09-2005, 02:30 PM
wow u really have studied this havent you?

the pic's coming up nicely

SoniaNotRed
04-09-2005, 05:28 PM
:blush: Hehehe... It did take me a bit of time sorting out things in my head (that's why I resorted to the book), but people seem to relate better to "technical" stuff, so...

Thank you.:)

grafik
04-10-2005, 07:59 PM
Oi! fix ver alguem de Portugal por estas bandas!!!

I like your this composition! it has potencial! Keep up

Boa sorte

Tiago

my MASTER & SLAVE:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?p=2138465 (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?p=2138465)

SoniaNotRed
04-10-2005, 10:06 PM
Eu também pensei o mesmo quando encontrei o pBarrelas entre os concorrentes. Já somos 3, pelo menos!:bounce: Boa!!

E obrigada pela visita!

bealobo
04-11-2005, 04:06 PM
hi Sonia!

good tut! composition stuff, :thumbsup:
Have you seen Antropus 3d thread? it has some guides over composition too
I´ll have to check with your comments to see if mine works, technically
:bounce:

SoniaNotRed
04-11-2005, 06:20 PM
I'm glad it's helpful. :) And I wouldn't worry much if I were you - from what I've seen from your work I'm sure you got there by instinct alone.*checking Antropus* hehe! Cool pic! 32 pages! No time right now, I'm afraid... I'll check it later. Thanks for the tip.

bealobo
04-11-2005, 07:04 PM
go to the first page and check cg page or challenge or something, it´s a little link within the first message that will get you to his submissions only. You´ll see that there.

lulaassassina
04-15-2005, 04:36 AM
Dá-lhe, Sónia!

Nice to see people from Portugal on the challenge!
Good luck! :D

SoniaNotRed
04-15-2005, 07:14 PM
aaarrrgghhh... got...to... update...
I've been having problems getting the girl's face right (doing it over and over) that's why I haven´t posted yet. Besides, I discovered I have to not look at the picture every few days so I can cool my head and keep at it. I'm so lame!:banghead:
I'm hoping to have new stuff posted this weekend (yeah, right!:rolleyes: ). I do want to finish in time.

bealobo - Got it! Thanks.

lula_assassina - LOL! Obrigada!

SoniaNotRed
04-18-2005, 01:09 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6055/6055_1113782957_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6055/6055_1113782957_large.jpg)

OK... I really had to post... something...
This is my latest atempt at getting the stupid face right! Not only the features are (still all) wrong, the painting is unfinished - that's why the eyes are dull and all that...
I just can't seem to make her face look... I don't know... normal?... Interesting? Expressive? Pretty? ^^;
Apart from an exercise using reference, this is the first time I come this far with a digitally painted person, so I really don't have that much experience on the subject... It's all so much easier to do with a pencil... I guess I'll just have to refix the chin, lips, nose... until I get it right.
Well, if nothing else, someone is bound to get a good laugh out of it, hehe! ;P
Enjoy!

ArtisticVisions
04-18-2005, 02:30 AM
I'm not laughing at it... well, except on the inside :D . (Kidding! I'm completely kidding!)

A few thoughts:

1. Change the color of the eyelashes; usually, eyelashes are a much darker color than the normal hair color.
2. Lighten the red near the eyes.
3. Soften/decrease the amount of hair for the eyebrows; usually with women, less eyebrow hair brings a more feminine quality to the face. (not that I'm speaking from personal experience :rolleyes: , just from what I've seen in other artists)
4. Lips are pretty good (maybe too pink?), but there should be more shadow on the teeth; even with whitening toothpaste, her teeth wouldn't be that white. :D
5. Your still using pure black on the eyes, I think; use dark colors, but never (or very rarely) black when you paint.

Hope that helps you; if you need some face references, I use atPictures.com (http://www.atpictures.com/). :)

liiga
04-18-2005, 02:35 AM
Nice!

If you're having trouble with the face, a few suggestions:
° make the middle part of the nose (the one between nostrils) a bit narrower, let the nostrils curve inwards a tad;
° think of the volume of the head around the lip area - try bringing the outer corners a bit lower; also remmber that we'll be seeing some of the skin below the lipstick on the lower lip and there'll be shadow in the area;
° shade the lids first, then tinker with eyelashes. They're evil buggers, and will make the eyes look weird if not applied carefully. Right now the lower eyelid could use more shape through some shading around the corners;
° the neck will look more lifelike if you don't forget the neck muscles that go in front and attach to the collar bones - they seem to be missing at the moment;
° almost forgot, the upper lip will appear a tad thicker at this angle unless it's real thin (which isn't impossible, of course), so you can afford to make it look 'sexier'. :)

Hope some of this will come in useful!

SoniaNotRed
04-18-2005, 04:02 PM
Well, I'm thinking of this as a... mmm... underpainting. :wise: Yep, it's my underpainting.

Actually, I posted it like this because it was late and I wouldn't have time to fix anything else - I'm still trying to get her features right before refining stuff. I really got myself into no end of trouble when I chose to put the girl looking up to "the light".

ArtisticVisions

1 - Lashes - Check! Not to worry, it's a separate layer. I usually just scribble lashes away until they look right. This time, I decided to play smart and started using my own as reference - big mistake! I'll scribble them into place later on. I'm still unsure about the color. I started out with my base purple to match the hair but I think I'll have to put some eyeliner on her to get the eyes right. I'll throw in some mascara, too! :)

2 - Red Glands - Mrrr, yes... I've been darkening the thing to make it more discreet but it obviously didn't work, hehe. I'll try a bit of desaturation and hue changing.

3 - Eyebrows - Actually, she doesn't have all that thick eyebrows (you should see mine!). I think it was my effort to get them in perspective that gave you that idea. Still, I not very happy about them either... *sigh* That stupid shape is so unnatural! I have to make them flow more gracefully.

4 - Lips and Teeth - Again, I started out with my base pink and didn't bother to change it 'cause I still have to do something about the shape. At this point I'm figuring I'll be doing quite a bit of color cheating to finish the pic! I did do a lot of, er, rotting on the teeth but I have to deal with the fact that there's a light shining right over them (it works wonders on the whitening, I tell you! :D ). I'll try greying them out some.

5 - Black - You got me there: C60 M60 Y0 B100! Too much B, huh? :p
Thanks for the link! :thumbsup:

liiga

1 - Nose - On it!

2,5 - Lips - It's the damn perspective combined with the expression she was supposed to have - I just can't get it right! :banghead:
She's supposed to be looking up with her lips parted in wonder (Woooaaaa!!) Originally, they did look fuller, but trying to slightly hint a smile and working the shading I ended up with... this... I have a couple of photos and a mirror for reference but the girls in the photos have different expressions and my own features are so unlike the character's that they're not of much help! :sad:

3 - Eyes - That's is what I'm doing, altough, since they're in different layers I can easily alter any of them anytime (Yay Photoshop!). I'm still starting on the shading - got to fix that expression first...

4 - Neck - The sternocleidomastoid - a muscle that is most dear to us portuguese ever since it was included in a joke back in a old movie of the 40s, LOL! :D
I usually draw it - it works as sort of a proportion reference thing for me - but with her head tilted like that you can hardly see it (them) at all. What really stands out is the throat. Still, I'll try to shade a little hint of them to make things interesting.

Thanks for visiting. :)

And thank you both so much for your comments! :love:

SoniaNotRed
04-19-2005, 03:10 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6055/6055_1113919833_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6055/6055_1113919833_large.jpg)

- Fuller upper lip with stronger temporary color (?);
- Rounder nostrils;
- More defined chin;
- Sternocleidomastoid added;
- Plucked eyebrows;
- Darker lashes with temporary color (?);
- Darker teeth;
- Unsaturated pink in the tear glands;
- Modified jaw;
- Less 20% Black on pupils;
- A little shading under the lower lip;
- More defined lids;

There's still more painting to be done on the face but I want to paint the rest first so I can have a better idea of how the colors will bounce off. I'm thinking of making the eyes reflect the clouds but I don't know if that will work. I'm now going to start on her hands and hair.

Thank you again for the tips, guys.

Mordalles
04-20-2005, 09:41 PM
yeah, i like the concept of dreams commanding us. and your work looks so good! really great work. beautiful!

bealobo
04-20-2005, 11:46 PM
Hi Sonia!
this is coming along nicely! I love the relaxed expression on her face, I think that I can explain what it feels strange to me (I have been thinking on it for a big while), it´s the double chin, like it is compressed and should be longer?, well, how to say... like she should be stretching out the neck.
I have made a test and hide her neck with my hand and the face looked right to me, maybe the forehead a little big, but it also adds grace and clearity so, the face is definately good for me.

Maybe these can help or maybe I´m just to tired and need to sleep hahhahahaha

you´re doing a great job so ... give us more!! Keep up!

SoniaNotRed
04-21-2005, 12:25 AM
Mordalles - :blush: (http://www.cgtalk.com/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#):blush: (http://www.cgtalk.com/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#):blush: (http://www.cgtalk.com/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#) Wow, thank you! :blush: (http://www.cgtalk.com/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#):blush: (http://www.cgtalk.com/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#):blush: (http://www.cgtalk.com/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#) I'll do my best to really deserve such a praise!

bealobo - She's doesn't look like she's looking up at all, right? More like she's just eaten too many chocolates and she's ruining her figure? :D LOL! And I just realized that by fixing her jaw I got the neck looking too thin!!
If this keeps going like this I will be the one ending up in an ice cave! hehehe!!:scream:

The forehead is OK on the file, it's just that the "toupé" layer was hidden when I cut this pic! :D

Thank you!

bealobo
04-21-2005, 11:18 PM
hahahhaha
please don´t... not the ice cave!!!
ahahhahaha
just work relaxed because the piece is looking good actually.
don´t worry too much and keep working, maybe if you get a little distance (in time) with her face you will be able to match what you exactly want. Work on the background, or the hair...

But... I do think she´s looking upwards :P

Keep it up!

Mordalles
04-21-2005, 11:20 PM
you definitely deserve the praise. :applause: ill be checking in here again, so you better keep up the good work. and thx for dropping by my thread. :D

SoniaNotRed
04-22-2005, 12:02 AM
bealobo - hehehehehe!!! :p Scared you, didn't I? :D
Right now, even as I type, I'm leaning over my Wacom - I've started on the hair, painting, and was now experimenting with photo overlays. I always wanted to do this pic with hybrid techniques, I just don't know if it will work. I have an idea of how to fix (again!) the jaw\chin, but if that doesn't work I can always paste a photo of a paper bag over her head! :twisted:

Mordalles - I'll be good! *puts on halo* Promise! And thank you for visiting. :)

SoniaNotRed
04-23-2005, 10:59 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6055/6055_1114293594_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6055/6055_1114293594_large.jpg)

This is the basic rendering of the hair and hands. It actually turned out better than I expected, considering I've never painted hair before and my atempts at drawing it don't usually have the best results.
Next steps are:
- Defining the locks and loose strands, taking out that stiff look of the contour;
- Finishing the shading of hands, body and face;
- Adding a bit of texture to it all.

Lystmaler
04-23-2005, 11:21 PM
Your high charisma tricked me in to this thread, so now I just have to comment it. :)

I really like the settup, and the look of this peice is really going somewhere.
Get some more depth around her eyes and darken the hair that goes right behing her head. perhaps you should check Linda's theory on skin shading, it really makes skin look more lively if it's used correcly.

I really like the mouth, though, and her hair turned out verry good I think :) It's odd to believe that you have never painted it before.

Squibbit
04-23-2005, 11:31 PM
sweet update, i like the hair

pushav
04-24-2005, 12:51 AM
nice well planned composition. Keep up the good work.:thumbsup:

SoniaNotRed
04-24-2005, 03:53 PM
Lystmaler - Gosh! :blush: I've been called a lot of things (mostly bad! :D ) but this is the first time someone says I'm charismatic. I always thought I was rather poor in that area. You boys here at CGTalk sure know how to make a girl blush! :)

I'm familiar with Enayla's theories, the thing is - painters have a way of thinking images as blobs of color and I tend to think like a raytracer! :D You know - strong light comes from point X, hits round surface with a bump, burns away color on the surface and bounces of to surface Y (bump casts hard shadow), hits colored surface Y, breaks, bounces back to depression on surface X, cast soft colored shadow... LOL!

The little I know about painting, I pickep up from Vallejo. I intend to learn more of the painter's way, but there was no time to develop a new technique right now.

Actually, I remembered after posting the pic that I have painted hair once before - small, well defined locks on a monochrome pic. It's a lot easier that way, I guess.

Thanks for dropping by and leaving your comments. :)

Squibbit - Thanks! I've been watching your "trailer" - can't wait for the movie!

pushav - Thank you! :)

bealobo
04-24-2005, 11:56 PM
hey sonia!
I really like your update!!! she looks so fine! and the hair flows... really good job!

I´ve just realized... she´s naked!!!
:eek: estoy escandalizada!!
hahha just joking!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: (should be off to bed...)

ozhaver
04-25-2005, 02:03 AM
The main problem I see is a lack of communication between the background and the objects. Perhaps you should paint the background one color and paint over it; use the tool picker once you have almost finish the final color lay of the background to spread the tones into the sking of the character, remember that skin has a translucent quality that makes it very subjective to the light around it. Best of lucks!

TheFirstAngel
04-25-2005, 03:46 AM
great work yet, love the colorfull and still smove way your work appears. the hair so far looks good, maybe work in a few parts you see trough it a bit more "clumpy" on cetain areas to have it more flying. anyways, looks very nice, keep on going!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

SoniaNotRed
04-25-2005, 05:05 PM
bealobo - LOL!! :D Clothes are harder to paint (and would be distractive here)! Still, no naughty bits showing (sorry, boys)!
I'm glad you like it!

oz haver - I've been saving that for last because I wasn't so sure about the background colors. I don't think it will ever look that good, though - I'm not a painter, really. Thank you!

the1st_angel - Yep, I hope I can nail it! All that and more - I'm saving a little something for the BIG FINALE! (that will probably ruin everything!) LOL! :scream:
Stay tuned!

Thanks for the tips, guys! :love:

pushav
04-25-2005, 08:07 PM
I'm familiar with Enayla's theories, the thing is - painters have a way of thinking images as blobs of color and I tend to think like a raytracer! :D You know - strong light comes from point X, hits round surface with a bump, burns away color on the surface and bounces of to surface Y (bump casts hard shadow), hits colored surface Y, breaks, bounces back to depression on surface X, cast soft colored shadow... LOL!

Oh no not algebra:scream:

Lol just kidding I understood this. Looking forward to seeing more.

SoniaNotRed
04-26-2005, 12:04 AM
pushav - HAHAHA!! I don't even know what algebra is, except that is part of maths. I was in another area in school.

pushav
04-26-2005, 12:22 AM
It is the part of math with the different variables such as x and y.
Example 2x=6
Answer x=3
That type of math.
http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

TheFirstAngel
04-26-2005, 07:01 AM
If 3 guys are in a room and 4 go outside, one has to go back into the room for the room is empty.... or what type of math ever...

Lol, know what you been talking about too well. how many times i been thinking, shitt its lookng blinnish, have to give more of an sss feel, argh, bump is not defined enough, specularity is too flat... uhm.... uhmm stop, i am painting :p

SoniaNotRed
04-26-2005, 12:28 PM
pushav - Oh, yeah, I see. In Portugal, you only have algebra as a separate subject in university, I think. I only had maths 'till my 9th year of school - 'till something called equations systems (at least thats what we call them here). Can't remember a thing about maths, though! :D I really suck at it!

the1st_angel - LOL!! 3D and photography with me! But the best part is still when I reach out for CTRL+Z while drawing with a pencil! :scream: Hahahaha!
But, really, it's just that I tend to think in terms of light (and shadow). Even color is light-color and not pigment-color. No so good idea when you paint, I guess.

Man, I wanted to update but got stuck at DSG - where having avatar wars again - I just can't resist it!

lulaassassina
04-26-2005, 01:50 PM
I think theat you should have more contrasted shadows. Adds depth to the image.

Keep up!

Ilikesoup
04-26-2005, 04:39 PM
Sonia-
Love your entry so far and the hair looks wonderful. Hope you don't mind a noob question about composition -- I've never paid much attention to it until this challenge. Are you intending the viewer's eye to start at the woman's hands then move upward, then out? My understanding was that the eye starts at top left and will move toward the right and down as if reading a book. It's a good thing if your intent is inspiration showering down on the woman, but I thought you mentioned something flowing upward from her hands. :hmm:

Don't mind me, I'm easily confused by art theory. I tried to feng shui our apartment once and was on the brink of madness for weeks. I just wondered if you could make it a bit clearer for my little hamster brain. :)

Mordalles
04-26-2005, 11:08 PM
great looking hair. maybe a little shadow on the top of the head where the hair goes out of the skin. looks really cool.

RUBYWORKS
04-26-2005, 11:50 PM
HOHO ! Hora hora ! Boa Sorte Menina !
Todas as Felicidades e todas as Medidas para tudo o que desejares e conseguires deste concursozito ai !

è uma honra ter compatriotas tão destemidos por aqui !

Parabéns e felicidades . Força nisso !

Anyway eles tem mesmo prémios e lugares que chegue para nós todos não é !! hh ..

Bora lá alcançar os melhores ranquings disto aqui ..

Força tuga ! Tuga Power ! online ...

Hora adorei ver aqui uma menina tão destemida e talentosa como tu .

R.

http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/bouncy.gif

http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/scream.gif

http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/love.gif

http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/shrug.gif

SoniaNotRed
04-27-2005, 12:30 AM
lula_assassina - I'll try to add to it a bit more. I'm quite fond of contrast myself. Thanks for the tip!

Ilikesoup - Thank you!
I know I knew something about that reading orientation thing, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was!! :blush:
Many things will draw your atention to a particular part of an image. Most likely the first thing you direct your eyes at is the middle, but - unless we're talking about a really monotonous pic - you'll imediately shift them to whatever is larger, brighter, more colorful, whatever. On an image with a face you'll be going for the persons eyes first - you can't help it!

All of this composition stuff is just meant to help you read the image. A good composition will draw atention to what's most important first and then connect it to the remaining elements - that's the dynamic I was talking about (first woman, then inspiration). Without it, every element in the picture will be competing for atention, killing impact (unless you want confusion to be the impact - you can do that, too. The effect can be interesting albeit stressing - much like finding Wally! :D ).
So, on my pic you have:

1 - a person's (clear) face, wich

a) it's in the "center" of the image;
b) it's taking most of the light \ it's the larger amount of pale color in the pic;

2 - eyes looking up, leading your eyes to the clouds;

3 - hands in the clouds pointing left, out to black, leaving you to study the minor details, since you already saw what matters;

The thing with her hands is that they're aligned to that motion and, being in the foreground make the journey smoother even if you don't consciously notice that. If they were, say, turned sideways, the hands would sort of point outwards and stall the whole thing.
It's kind of hard to explain. Sometimes you don't actually see what is wrong with an image but it keeps unconsciously nagging you. The brain registers even if the eye doesn't, so to speak.

Oh, I think I remember now! Horizontal orientation? You tend to read it - unless composition tells you otherwise! :)
Imagine a picture of a lone tree on a strip of ground against clear blue sky. Using an horizontal orientation, a good composition would require the tree to be either on the left or the righ side (not the middle). Of course, if the tree was on the right, you'd be looking at the right side first... right? (Ouch, my head is hurting now, too! :D )

I don't know the first thing about art theory. I had to go check the explanation (for the "tut") on a book because I didn't know how to put in words and make sense. For me it's just a matter of balance - either a picture has it or not. I do it by instinct.

So, if you haven't fallen asleep by now, I hope I managed to clear that some more.
Btw, I thought you were a bear...! ;)

SoniaNotRed
04-27-2005, 12:36 AM
mordalles - Thanks! I still haven't touched the hair :blush:. I was painting the skin a little more today but I don't know when the next post will be...

Rubyworks - Caramba, isso é que é entusiasmo! :D Muito brigada pela visita e pela torcida! :bounce:
Eu vou ver se faço boa figura! :p

:beer:
:wavey:

edit - A propósito, outros tugas a competir: pBarrelas, Andreas Rocha, lula_assassina, grafik.

Lystmaler
04-27-2005, 07:16 PM
Eu vou ver se faço boa figura! Certo de si senhora de grande gentileza!
My portoguese is way to rusty for me to make a portoguese post, but I'm fluent with Italian, so that helps a whole lot, so does my knowledge to Spanish and French. :) I hope I wrote that one right, tough.
I'm familiar with Enayla's theories, the thing is - painters have a way of thinking images as blobs of color and I tend to think like a raytracer! :D You know - strong light comes from point X, hits round surface with a bump, burns away color on the surface and bounces of to surface Y (bump casts hard shadow), hits colored surface Y, breaks, bounces back to depression on surface X, cast soft colored shadow... LOL! Nice :)!
Well, Enayla's theory mainly cover the white race, but her point about textured skinn and "popping" shure is something one should try to integrate in one's own style, I think. However practice is needed for this to even look decent, and as we know, time is limmited. :)
I don't know the first thing about art theory. I had to go check the explanation (for the "tut") on a book because I didn't know how to put in words and make sense. For me it's just a matter of balance - either a picture has it or not. I do it by instinct. I think it was invented like that, atleast that would have been logical, so doing it by instinct works verry well unless other's are telling you that you got nasty composition. :)

SoniaNotRed
04-28-2005, 12:55 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6055/6055_1114646115_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6055/6055_1114646115_large.jpg)

This is just a lil something to keep you busy. It's taking a lot of time fixing and making details. For now it's just to show the new, harder shading (a lot of cheating involved ;P )
Now working on:
- Top of the hair;
- Adding some extra color on the hands;
- Doing a little reshaping of the arms (they're too straight);

I've also discovered that this new bright look is competing with the background, so I now have one more reason to alter the clouds - meaning, I don't want her hair smoking!

SoniaNotRed
04-28-2005, 12:43 PM
Certo de si senhora de grande gentileza!

Lysmaler - :blush: Wow! You speak like a nobleman in a RPG! :)
But you write it pretty good. Most people have trouble with that (including the portuguese!:D). The good thing about latin languages is that, if you fully understand one, you understand a lot of the others. English is the only foreign language I'm good at but I took french lessons in school, understand spanish (not that diferent from portuguese, really) and some italian, too.

Anyway, this is what you missed:

Certo que sim, senhora de grande gentileza.

Still, more properly said:

Estou certo que sim, gentil senhora. (still very formal in an old-fashioned kind of way, hehe! :) )

Btw, where did you learn?

bealobo
04-28-2005, 01:13 PM
it looks like a little change but it´s looking a lot better, has got more depth and volume.

hey, in portugal you call yourself tugas, isn´t it? it´s the first time I hear about this but is weird in spanish because it reminds so much to tortuga that is a turtle actually. LOL
so, I´m not calling you tuga because I think you´re updating frequently :P hehheh

SoniaNotRed
04-28-2005, 02:47 PM
Yay!! :bounce:

I think this all thing started because of the brasilians. They're "brazucas" and we are "portugas". And with Euro 2004, everybody started using "tuga"!
It's funny that you mention turtles, 'cause that's how I often think of myself! :D No, actually it's more snail or slug... I'm SLOW!!! Hehehehehe!

Lystmaler
04-28-2005, 03:37 PM
Wow! You speak like a nobleman in a RPG! I just love the sound of those sentences :)

I learned Italian from my Italian father. I picked up some Spanish and French from the city, some music and TV, and the internet has ofcourse been a great resource. Oh and like you, I also had French back in school, but there never was a teacher in my classroom that knew French so I didn't learn anything more then just the basic pronunciations :D

Portuguese is unfortunately much less known here, so I used this dictionary and my Italian to understand it, much like I do with French and Spanish if there is a computer around.
http://dicts.info/

I love languages, so I'm always trying to learn more then just three different languages, what is a huge mistake as I always tend to loose focus in them to focus on other languages. :)

I would associate Tuga's with Toga's, a verry fine cloth used by people in ancinet Rome and Greek.

I like the new update, the colors are much more refined. You got such a clean style. Keep up the good work, I'll be waching you, gnetil senhora.

calisto-lynn
04-28-2005, 03:41 PM
cool idea! keep up the good work!:bounce:

ArtisticVisions
04-28-2005, 10:38 PM
Looking good, Sonia. :)
The shading on the hands looks somewhat odd (can't really put my finger on why that is, though :shrug: ).

Gord-MacDonald
04-29-2005, 01:21 PM
Hi Sonia

You are making great progress on your entry - good work

Gord

SoniaNotRed
04-29-2005, 02:32 PM
Lystmaler - Oh, I have a treat for you!

http://nekoi.no.sapo.pt/Asai/Bela%20Senhora.jpg

Nebet Nefert - that's ancient egyptian for Good (or Beautiful) Lady. Egyptians counted inner beauty as being as important (or more) than looks.
I love languages, too!
I've been very sloppy trying to learn them, though. I should be able to read and write some japanese by now and I can't even form a proper sentence! And I had to check my notes for that egyptian thing - I couldn't remember a word anymore. Btw, that sentence is literally reversed (lady beautiful).

Thanks for the link. Here's one for you:
http://www.hieroglyphs.net/000501/html/000-016.html

And thank you for the kind comments.

calisto - Thanks! Say, it's been a while since I checked up on you... (sorry)

ArtisticVisions - Thank you!
I had some trouble shading the back of her hands (must have done it about 3 times) but, although I'm not exactly thrilled about the results, it's seems to be more or less... er... OK...
I'll still be adding details to the hands, I hope.
Is it the whole shading or some area in particular, or is that what you can't tell?

gordonm - Thank you!

ArtisticVisions
04-29-2005, 02:46 PM
Basically, it's the shading of the fingers and how it interacts with the lighting on the palms of the hands. Not really sure on how to fix that exactly, but the shadows on the insides of the fingers (where the fingers meet the hand) could be lighten.

Lystmaler
04-29-2005, 03:26 PM
Nebet Nefert-
Intresting :)! Love the link, I'm shure my sister will go crazy when I show her this.
I know a little japanese aswell, curently trying to get a hold on theyr Hiragana. I hate the fact that there isn't anny spaces in Japanese sentences, translating just turns way to hard I think.

And thank you for the kind comments.
I'm waiting for your bold uppdate, don't destroy everything now. :)

LadyMedusa
04-30-2005, 07:39 PM
Nice pic there.
I dont relly like the sharp white in the background, but I guess its not finished yet, so I cant really say that mutch at the time being.
I'll peek in sometimes :)
--
I'm shure my sister will go crazy when I show her this.
He was right about that :D
*adds to bookmarks*

Lystmaler
04-30-2005, 11:02 PM
I dont relly like the sharp white in the background, but I guess its not finished yet, so I cant really say that mutch at the time being.Oh Sónia here is such a wonderfull being, she'll make it look great with humor and style! :)

SoniaNotRed
05-02-2005, 01:29 AM
ArtisticVisions - Yeah, I'll see what I can do. I have some ideas about that but I want to finish the background first. Thanks for the help. :thumbsup:

Lady Medusa - Thank you! I've been watching your dragon, too.
I am changing the background right now, so it's possible that the white will change as well.

Hehe! Enjoy the glyphs!!

Lystmaler - Actually, I am destroying everything!! :surprised
I was thinking I might post an update today but the image looks so crappy right now that I couldn't find the guts to do it! :argh:
I'll try to post something (decent) tomorrow.

SoniaNotRed
05-02-2005, 02:34 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6055/6055_1115040857_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6055/6055_1115040857_large.jpg)

Back again, at last!
After a few daily life setbacks, today I finally got to work on the clouds. And work a lot!
I've done about 3 versions of them and I'm still not satisfied!
Aparently, her hair will have to smoke - there's no help for it. Modifying that storm thing totaly ruins the picture's balance. I have added a little gradient to darken it towards the bottom, though, so it won't "stick" to the hair.
The hands are not yet fused.
I still have to touch up the volumes and (definitely!) fix the colors. Any thoughts?

I've also modified the "brains". I had to map them on the inside of a sphere in max and then squash it in PS to get the distortion I wanted. I'm hoping to get more space in the background with this. This is the shape. The colors are still temporary - I discovered that doing this effect requires a lot of conversions and trickery with modes. And there's a piece missing on the lower left corner.

The lightning is still in skeleton form.

And, of course, there's the light beams...

I haven't forgotten the most recent tips (thank you, btw) - I'll go back to the girl once I get the stupid background done. Hopefuly, that will be the final Color WIP, wich I'm saving for texturing.

LadyMedusa
05-02-2005, 02:48 PM
That looks mutch better :D
I really like how you made the hands aswell. both in the smoke and on her :)

bealobo
05-02-2005, 03:42 PM
hey Sonia!
I like it a lot, it´s getting shape both things together!
when I saw this last update it looked to me like the clouds in the background were covering her like an hemisphere and actually it added more relationship between m&s, so I think you could put less contrast and light values in the part near the head and more contrast in the upper part of the clouds to make it look like it comes towards the camera.
Anyway, this was a thought! you´ll coming up with something great for sure.
you´re doing great!

Lystmaler
05-02-2005, 05:00 PM
Well I like it :)

Are you going to keep the backround that black?

I would sugest that the hands were mainly Brown and Yellow, but then again I know nothing about color composition so I hope that there will ba another artist's comment on this "Any thoughts?" question of yours. :)

Ilikesoup
05-02-2005, 10:48 PM
This is coming along nicely. I can't wait to see this once the brain matter has been all mapped out. I realize you're not putting in the final details now, but I hope you find these notes helpful:

The top digit of each of her fingers is lighter than the rest of the finger which indicates a nice bend. However, since the value of that top digit is so close in value to the palms of her hands, the top digits look like the fingers have been cut from the palm and moved sideways.

Remember to anchor her hair to the scalp on top and at the sides of her face. That widow's peak should show roots in her hair and from this POV we should be able to see under the arch in her hair.

BTW, I really appreciate your taking the time to explain composition. Bear with hamster brain is grateful but forgot to thank you. :)

SoniaNotRed
05-02-2005, 11:35 PM
Lady Medusa - Thank you! As it turned out, I think the cloud hands are probably the best thing in this pic! I always thought they were somewhat cute!

bealobo - I increased the gradient a little more for now and I'll try to work out that color thing. Thank you for the sugestion!
(Camera, huh? We 3Ders just can't help it! :D)

Lystmaler - I always meant to have black in the background. I find that it makes the bright colors jump out at the viewer. I'm fond of impact image. I have a faded texture ready in case I change my mind, so I might post that version later for you guys to see.
It's not pure black, though. It's mixed with magenta and cyan.

The colors in the clouds have to do more with symbolism than color rules. Primarily, they represent imagination (lightining = ideas), the storm would always have to be colorful. Also, I originally thought of having different colors for different types of hands - green for commanding, blue for offering, red for stopping... something like that.
The colors would probably be represented in the artist's skin too. I thought (red?) splatters for things that go wrong and an almost (blue, green?) tattoo-like smugde for something right.
Just a few ideas...

Thanks for leaving your tip!

Ilikesoup - Doh!! I thought I was gonna get away with that ligh in the fingers business! :D LOL!
Actually, I tried to fix it by tinting the palms with the cloud colors, but I'll probably have to think of somthing else.
The hair already has some of those details - I'll post close-ups asap.
You're welcome! Thank you for your comments.

SoniaNotRed
05-03-2005, 12:05 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6055/6055_1115075102_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6055/6055_1115075102_large.jpg)

Just a close-up of some details.
The final coloring will include textures on most of the elements, including the fingers. The hair and lips still need refinement and, of course, there are still no reflections in the eyes (also lacking a bit of wetness right now).

xric7
05-03-2005, 04:58 PM
wow..this cool detail!:bounce: :bounce:
i love the way u use opposite color like blue & pink.that's very interesting!
can't wait for more.

SoniaNotRed
05-03-2005, 09:27 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6055/6055_1115152020_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6055/6055_1115152020_large.jpg)

The background is pretty much done, although I'm not so sure about that lightning.
There should be light coming out of 2 of the cloud hands but the best way I could think of doing it is using Lens Flare and I don't much like that idea.
I've decided to had a little purple pattern on the black area - I don't know if it shows in this resolution.

I'm now off to finish the girl. A couple of things need some touch up and I want to add textures.
Btw, you are so gonna love what I'm gonna do with her hair!!
(If what I want works, that is... :P )

Mordalles
05-03-2005, 09:55 PM
wow, looks really amazing. especially the clouds and the details on the face. the lightning oculd have more of a glow around it. and it could be a little bit thinner. if you want i could give you a photo of real lightning so that you can see how it looks like.

SoniaNotRed
05-04-2005, 11:16 AM
xric7 - Thanks for dropping by! :)
(Sorry if I seemed too enthusiastic on your thread. I was only part joking, though - your work truly is impressive! :thumbsup: )

Mordalles - Thank you for your offer, but I actually have a couple of good references. The problem it's me! :D I've been doing and redoing them and I just can't get them right! I guess this all happened 'cause I wanted to use the "fastest" way! I'll try it again - the slow way. Thanks for your help.

xric7
05-07-2005, 09:27 AM
very beatiful color.:thumbsup:
can't wait for more.
cheer.:buttrock:

MDN67
05-07-2005, 10:30 AM
Wow, very beautiful pic with many colors, it's really "faerie", good work

SoniaNotRed
05-09-2005, 02:54 PM
Thanks, guys! :)
Sorry, stil no updates. Things have been kind of messy of late.
Among other things, my HD got infected by an army of pesky bugs that managed to break through my (considerable) defences and I spent 2 days trying to clean it all up!
At least 14 trojans (plus several other relatives)!! :eek: What happened, a holiday?!

By I killed them all!!
MUAHAHAHAHA!!!

I am now working on the textures. I hope to post again soon.
See ya!

Lystmaler
05-09-2005, 07:28 PM
By I killed them all!!
MUAHAHAHAHA!!!That's brutal :) You probably got some dangerous mail or something like that.

I have kept an eye on this thread but with little to say, I might post to say that I like the uppdates, but I'm not being constructive :)

Keep it on.

bealobo
05-09-2005, 11:58 PM
hey Sonia!

update! update!

SoniaNotRed
05-11-2005, 03:20 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6055/6055_1115821220_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6055/6055_1115821220_large.jpg)

Ok, here's a sneak preview of what I've been doing.
I'm saving the best for last. There's only one thing left to do and I've already started but it's going to take many hours to finish. If it works it will be well worth it!

I tried to fix the hands a little (folowing a tip) but I don't think I can make it any better than this...
Also, the hairline is looking a bit funny - I don't know if that will change or not, I'll see what I can still do.
The eyes now have reflections and moist and the irises are a deeper color.
The lips have a bit more volume.
Following the original concept, I smudged paint on her face - both cheeks (should I change it?).
I added texture to all the skin (I don't know if you can see the hand details).

SoniaNotRed
05-11-2005, 04:36 PM
Lystmaler, bealobo
Ah, well... No thrilling updates on this thread! LOL!
Maybe next challenge!

Anyway, this one is for all you visiters - thank you for your patience! :)

SoniaNotRed
05-12-2005, 09:40 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6055/6055_1115930437_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6055/6055_1115930437_large.jpg)

Everything fixed and textured!
How do you like the hair?

I scanned my own hair (don't try this at home, kids!) to make this effect.
It took me hours to "comb" it, though. It's still a bit messy in the lower left corner but it's OK, I guess - the strands are all coming from the right direction now.
The texture on the hands is my own skin, too. The rest is a scaled smudge stick filter on a multiply layer.

I never did manage to get the perspective right (she should be looking up *sigh*) and her neck is too thin, but it's gonna stay that way - better luck next time! ;P

All that is left to do now is fuse the layers and submit the final one.
Yay!!

jmBoekestein
05-12-2005, 10:46 PM
Wow, her face is really beautiful and alive. I love it. :thumbsup:

SoniaNotRed
05-13-2005, 12:13 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6055/6055_1115939581_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6055/6055_1115939581_large.jpg)

Still unfused - just a close-up of the previous one.

xric7
05-13-2005, 12:31 PM
nice details.
her hair is amazing!!:bounce:

Lystmaler
05-13-2005, 02:07 PM
Really nice, miss Saúde :)

I don't really like the lipps, tough. It look's like you used some render light filter :)
You should do some manual fixing on them, I think, but I'm not sure of that.

bealobo
05-13-2005, 02:12 PM
I like it a lot!
the thing of the textures has worked! The hair is looking great:thumbsup:
I´ve just realized of the brain in the left, the texture is tiling (mirrored), have you noticed? I guess I´m in 3d mode right now and that really doesn´t matter. Looks great anyway!

SoniaNotRed
05-13-2005, 04:57 PM
jmBoekestein - Thank you! I'm glad you like it!

xric7 - Does it work? I think I'm still going to fix a bit.
As usual, after posting the image I start thinking "Mmmm, that thing is looking kind of weird" or "Nope, this just won't work!"
Thanks!

Lystmaler - Grazie, Signore D'Este!
And the lips look like that because... it is a render light filter!! LOL!! :D
I was worried that some stuff in my life might keep me from finishing in time (and I'm not quite off the hook yet) so I took every possible shortcut. But you're probably right... Maybe I'll blur them a little or something.

bealobo - Hey, thanks for stopping by - I know how awfuly busy you are with your entry.
I'm so glad the hair thing actually worked! And you, too, are very perceptive because... it is mirrored!! :applause: (Hehe! I should be handing out lollipops to the "winners"!)
I made the brains, mirrored them and tiled them 2x2 times on the inside of a sphere in max! (That means you're getting that grand prize today! :D )
Just another time saving technique, I guess... But I don't think it hurts. It's kind of interesting in a way... (uh-huh!... :rolleyes: )

Things are getting complicated around here again, so I intend to post the Final Image today.
Later!

SoniaNotRed
05-13-2005, 09:49 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6055/6055_1116017391_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/6055/6055_1116017391_large.jpg)

The Artist as a "slave" to Inspiration - driven to create by its command or left lost and idle in its absence.
The Artist looks in awe at the Creative Storm, hands cupped, waiting for a drop of "light".
Colors are imagination, lightning sparks as the mind works. The cloudy hands point the way, offer ideas, or tell the artist when to stop.

Well, this is it!
No major fixes, just a couple of hairs, a bit of softening on the lips and a little touch up on the eyes.

Thank you eveyone for tips and support, and best of luck to all!

TheFirstAngel
05-14-2005, 08:25 AM
Wonderfull textures on the hair sonja! just am not sure about the upper part yet, i really like the hands and the fine accents you set into inspirations "cloud", i could imagine a 16x9 image when i look at your beauty, (croping is a radical suggestion i know) tried to show you what i mean, to make it more compact, and bring your elements together, i made you a little overpainting, hope you dont find it disrespectfull :) of course this is just my own personal point of view and simply a matter of taste... hope this suggestion is somehow of help for you :)

what do you think of this?

http://www.angel3d.ch/content/3d/wip/masterandservant/xtra/crop%20suggestion%20sonja.jpg

Keep up the great work sonja, see you soon and keep on rocking!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ace4016
05-14-2005, 08:51 AM
Weird concept, but its cool. I'm a bit late and havent read the thread to understand what all the different elements mean. Just one little critique, maybe the lips need shadows so that they look like they belong to the face:shrug: . You can ignore it. GJ:thumbsup: .

Falcorr
05-14-2005, 09:03 AM
You have finally finished! Yes :bounce:
Best part in your artwork are of course the hands. Good knowledge.

You scanned your own hair for this artwork. That is really thinking out of the box method :thumbsup:
Wish i could give you cool advices, but i think all the problems always lie deeper within.

So next time you should try to create concept color base. I should also try it like that. After that superbly accurate lineart and towards the finished artwork.

Good luck! Big thanx for hanging around in my thread :)

calisto-lynn
05-14-2005, 09:55 AM
looks nice! good luck to u too! tx for the support!:D

Gord-MacDonald
05-14-2005, 11:01 AM
Sonia
This is coming along so beautifully :thumbsup: I like, I like!

Gord

SoniaNotRed
05-14-2005, 12:39 PM
the1st_angel - Hey, thanks for the sugestion. Actually, while working on the girl - when I posted the pic cropped like that - I also thought ir was kind of appealing. But I'm not changing it anymore. I'm out of time, for one, and out of patience for another.
I guess I just got sick of looking at the thing! LOL! :scream:
I'll stop by your thread asap - I saw you were up to some new cool ideas.

ace4016 - Thanks for visiting! :) You're probably right about the shadows - at least about the one under the lower lip (I notice it looks very pale now *sigh*) but I'll save that advice for the next contest. This one is done!

Falcor - Hehe! I do (or used to do) 3D - I scan everything I can fit in the machine! :D LOL! There's nothing like the real thing!
In fact, maybe next contest I'll go 3D. Poor bealobo is all alone in that wing and us 3D girls got to stick together! :wise:
Good luck to you, too!

calisto - Thanks! Sorry for being a nag with the framing! :blush: (http://www.cgtalk.com/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#) I've spent too much time with a camera on my hands!

gordonm - Yep! I'm done here! Thanks! :)

Lystmaler
05-15-2005, 06:31 AM
You made it! :]

Congratulations miss.

TheFirstAngel
05-15-2005, 06:33 AM
congrats on your final piece Sonja! all my best wishes and best of luck on from now on! love your piece!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

bealobo
05-15-2005, 02:20 PM
Sonia!
congratulations!
I like it!
boa sorte! (???) ehem... well... I´ll try in english best: Good luck!

ArtisticVisions
05-15-2005, 04:03 PM
Ah, now this turned out very nicely Sonia. Congratations on finishing it. :)
(wish I could say the same... eh, maybe next time :rolleyes: )

calisto-lynn
05-15-2005, 06:41 PM
QUOTE (The Artist as a "slave" to Inspiration ) i agree. u got a great idea! beautifull. :) :thumbsup:

grafik
05-16-2005, 12:00 PM
Ficou muito bonito!!!muito bom trabalho!!!:thumbsup:

my finished MASTER & SLAVE:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?p=2138465 (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?p=2138465)

SoniaNotRed
05-18-2005, 02:22 PM
Thank you all, guys!! :love:

coCoKNIght
05-18-2005, 03:14 PM
Ah, another great entry I've been missing out... The woman is so beautifully colored :love:
could you do me a favour and change the black bg to a pink, and show how it looks like? I think this blackness disturbs the harmony this image otherwise so stongly erm... emmits?

xric7
05-18-2005, 07:17 PM
wonderful image!!:bounce: :thumbsup: :buttrock:
ur color is so beatiful.
congrats and best luck to u.

SoniaNotRed
05-20-2005, 11:57 PM
Sorry, people - things have been so messy around here I had no time to properly reply y'all.

Lystmaler - Thank you again for your support. I hope next contest you'll be with us! See you at the DSG! :)

the1st_angel - Good luck to you, too - I'm so glad they fixed your upload problem! :bounce:

bealobo - Bea, o teu português é excelente!! LOL! (Sorry, I couldn't resist quoting you! :D ) And for you - mucha suerte! :thumbsup:

ArtisticVisions - Thank you! I was sorry to read you couldnt make it. :sad: Best of luck to you on your next atempt!

calisto - Thank you! :love:

grafik - Obrigada! Estou contente só por ter chegado ao fim! :)

coCOKNIght - Thanks! I see you still think pink looking at this. I'll try to post a pink version later, just for you!
PS - Come back to the DSG! :)

xric7 - Your Lilith rocks! :buttrock: Thank you and good luck to you, too!

I hope we all meet again next challenge!

SoniaNotRed
06-03-2005, 12:32 AM
Ok, this is scary!
It was all done rush rush, but I think I would have to had thought it pink originaly in order to work.

(Last edit - Poof! Image is now in invisible ink!!)

I just noticed there nothing masking the brains on the top part...
Well... er... enjoy?

edit - Mmmmm... I think I'll take this off later on, if you don't mind... :blush: (http://www.cgtalk.com/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#) I just saw it posted... As usual it looks a lot worse that way...

coCoKNIght
06-03-2005, 07:59 AM
:applause:

Well, now I know what it would have looked like and I must say, you should have made it pink! :scream: :p
Somehow I think it makes everything more interesting to look at.... damn that's beautifull painted...
Well, see you at the dsg/dsf and at the next challenge! :)

SoniaNotRed
06-03-2005, 02:34 PM
Thank you! :)

(And now that I've satisfied your curiosity, I'll just make it vanish! :D )

CGTalk Moderation
06-03-2005, 02:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.