PDA

View Full Version : Master and Servant 2D Entry: Amélie Lamoureux

Nehym
03-22-2005, 07:42 PM
Amélie Lamoureux has entered the Master and Servant 2D.

MDN67
03-22-2005, 07:46 PM
welcome amelie and good luck:thumbsup:
française?

Nehym
03-22-2005, 07:48 PM
Thank you for your good luck wishes. :) And yes, i am french.

Nehym
03-22-2005, 08:37 PM
I'm pretty excited about entering my very first challenge here at CG Talk. Have had an artist block in the past.. years (yes years.. :sad: )and i am wishing that this will help me to get rid of it.

I've always had many ideas and always get inspired by anything surrounding me and sometime i manage to start sketching it, even colouring or painting but never seem to be able to reach the final stage, to finish any piece that i start, as if i had difficulty concentrating on it. My mind just runs everywhere and bounce from an idea to another.

With this entry, i want to practice to focus on one thing at a time and try to bring it to the finished work. :) It doesn't cost me anything to try and will be a great learning experience. ;)

I already have some ideas juggling in my head and i'm pretty sure of what i want my concept to be, or at least the main line (which can stil lbe tweaked in many ways anyway).

-----------------------------------------
The concept, part 1 (general idea/main line of the concept):

I want to play on the duality of heart and reason, which is the master and which is the servant following (but maybe not willingly..).

Often when someone has difficulty making a decision, we tell them ''Follow your heart'' or sometime to follow their head, the reason. But which is really the best? Are we slaves of the decision our reason might take, even if it is the opposite of what our heart wants?

Bringing the idea further, heart and reason may be transposed on frivolous imaginary vs cold reality. The way the one or the other influence the way we see things in life, the way we live life. The dreamy child believing from the bottom of his heart that fairies and all that kind of magical and mystical creatures exits againts the logical scientist demonstrating that it does not. The child follows his heart and the scientist his reason, which give them both a very different approach of the same thing.

The child might see the world in bright, vivid colors with curves, waves and nothing to 'hard edged'' while the scientist sees it in black and white, in a very technical way with regular geometrical forms etc.

What happens when heart is the master and reason the slave and vice versa? The effects it might have on other aspects such as the personality?

I might as well compare it to the story of Peter Pan, particulary to the hold Peter Pan movie with Robin Williams, if anyone remembers it. To fly, to see the food, he had to believe with his heart and let go of the reason. But it was only after some training that he was able to.

So this is it, my main idea on which i want to play for now. I do have some ideas on how to illustrate it but i want to think about it some more before writting it down and starting to sketch (and i so do not like sketching.. i prefer simply think of forms and colors, not lines! ah well, it doesn't matter anyway, doesn't need to be super detailed as a sketch ;))

I'm not sure if it is that original but anyway, if i change my mind, i still have plenty of time ahead.

Also i want to apologize for the confuseness and the bad (or even weird) english is some places. ;)

THOFF
03-22-2005, 09:14 PM
good luck and poooowa frenchie

Mordalles
03-25-2005, 08:30 PM
wow, this sounds really interesting! also looks like a difficult concept to show in a picture. i wish you good luck, sine this is a really interesting and original idea.

Nehym
03-30-2005, 03:20 PM
Well thank you for your input Mordalles. :) At first i thought the idea was a bit cliché but i will take your word and think maybe it is not -that- cliché (and maybe a little bit? ;))

------------------------------
The concept, part 2 (Composition ideas..):
Right now i am having a hard time deciding on what i will be doing... I know what i could do to represent the duality of reason/logic-heart/imagination. I wanted to paint 2 children playing with the same flying kite type of toy yet not having them see the same thing. I would paint some unused toy around, or maybe some other children in the back also playing ''normally'' with them.

The children representing the heart and the imagination would be looking up to the sky with an expression of pure amusement and i would make his/her kite to be pulled up by some fairies along with making his/her side of the picture more bright, with more vivid colors, with some flowers.. A dreamy side, kind of.

As for the other child, i guess i would like him/her to be either looking jealously at the other one for having so much fun with a so simple toy or maybe with a confuse and a bit curious expression like if s/he would not understand how his/her friend can have fun with this toy. His/her kite would not be flying as high as the other or would have diffuculty to fly.. Or actually, maybe not flying at all, just laying on the ground before his/her feet. Around him/her would be more natural colos, maybe a little bit more brownish and ''down to earth'' colors and details. Nothing fancy there.. Even the sky would not be as bright and their would be way more clouds on that side of the picture..

I want them to be contrasting yet not too much.. And make the place where the look the focus on their own respective ''theme''.

I am not sure if i want it to be modern or not.. I had in mind two little girls with their old fashion dresses and little hats with ribbons... This would be fun to paint but maybe it would be a little too much... Or not? making the imaginative children believe she is a fairy princess and so dressing her up this way while the other is wearing normal clothing, maybe a little dirty.

To show that it would be only her imagination and his too logical thinking, i thoguht of adding some sort of pond in front of themand showing the ''real'' reflection on it... But i am aiming too high, i don't think i would be able to paint the water and the reflections right... D: But i guess it is wroth a try since it would show reality not changed by either the heart or the reason.

I've never painted any child either so this piece should be even more challenging, if i stick to this idea that is. :)

-----------------------------------
Concept #2, what if... (second concept and maybe an idea of dual concept in the same piece)

So here i am with another concept. Talking to my brother's girlfriend yesterday made me think of this, as she gave birth to her first child about a month ago (and that made me become auntie Lilie.. :p). I just realized how much a pregnant woman has to change her life, her eating habits and everything for the child. That she cannot do this or that anymore for the good of the baby, baby that kind of indirectly becomes the master and the pregnant woman the servant. Yet, after the baby is born and has grown a little (some years..), the whole thing turns the other way around but not completly. The mother regaining her ''master'' position in front of the child, having to set rules but still having to change her habit and some things to fit the lifestyle of the child... I am not expressing myself clearly and correctly right now, i'm having a hard time (again) really explaining what i am thinking of in english but still... I guess i manged to write down the main idea.

At first i wanted to trash my first idea to take this one.. Having some women together, or maybe just two.. One pregnant and another watching over a 3-4 years old child playing. Adding some details showing the real master and servant relationship, though it is not a bad master and servant bond, nor is it evident.

But again, it remains hard to really depict and making an whole piece on this (well maybe not but as far as now i do not have much other ideas to incorporate). So i thought of the fact that in both i had children playing so i thought of maybe doing both in the same picture.. But i'm not sure if it is possible or allowed...

I thought of having the childrens of my first idea still being the focus but in the background, having their mothers and the detailing about the child's and mother's master/servant bond...

Okay so even MORE confuseness but this is my thread so i guess i can be confused and write confuse stuff all i want.. :D

Mordalles
03-30-2005, 06:19 PM
is it alright that im confused too? haha.

nah, just kidding. the idea about the pregnant women could really work, but keeping it more simple would probably have a stronger effect. like just the women, and nothing else, no kids playing around. people will surely get that her unborn child is ruling her life, and thus her master for the time being, which will change.

jmBoekestein
03-30-2005, 06:40 PM
Stopping by to wish you luck!:)

I'll be running over your story=ies soon(no time now)

Miyagi
04-17-2005, 05:46 AM
Hi Amélie!

I think heart and reason a better choice although the hardest one to accomplish to, anyway It could be a good chance for you exercise your talent and attitude, take it easy and just start it without any compromise.

Good luck! and have fun:thumbsup:

MyMasterAndServant (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=224272&highlight=Rogerio+Masao)

CGTalk Moderation
04-17-2005, 05:46 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.