PDA

View Full Version : Master and Servant 2D Entry: Osvaldo Enrique Colón Haver

ozhaver
03-22-2005, 05:09 PM
Osvaldo Enrique Colón Haver has entered the Master and Servant 2D.

ozhaver
03-27-2005, 01:51 AM
Greetings everybody! :)

I’m a bit intimidated by all the great contestants…:cry: but I can use the motivation to polish my skills. Good luck everyone!

As it’s usual with me, I am tearing my hair off thinking on what I should do. I know I should finish at least two of the three pieces I’m working on right now, but the individual muses for those seem to have taken flight on spring-break….:banghead:

Insofar I’ve decided to start really big and perhaps it will take its own direction on the process and end up totally different from the initial idea.

The Concept so far:

To me the key to the relationship between master & servant is power. That will be the overall concept I’ll work on- and since it's so subjective and abstract I think I have some threads to pull here... The problem right now is which type of power to represent. Therefore I’ll try to sketch on everything that comes to mind and decide later were to follow.

I am intrigued by the idea of master as the servant, servant as the master- perhaps no true servant will be represented, no true master either; both shall be the same- I’ll focus on ego and emotion as the main characters (looking forward to work with gazes and expressions- so delicious!!!). All masters, all servants...

I’m interested in the more social aspects of power instead of size and physique. To my mind comes:

1-Social standing: politics, religion & economics.

2-Self-worth: beauty & ugliness, pride, vanity, shame, etc.

3- Addictions: religion again, carnal pleasures (which will be hard for me to represent and to tone down in order not to seem to strong; FOOD! Worms are the WINNERS!:twisted: or FIRE!) possessiveness, love/hate relationships, fashion.

4- And other power plays: procrastination & pressure, lies (evaluating myths and fantasy) & truth (is it really possible?), innocence and wickedness, submission as a type domination, domination as submission, tradition vs. change, etc.

This all represented through characters and symbols on the walls, décor & elements, etc. I plan on using.

Also I'm thinking on being deceptive with the scene so it seems ‘normal’ or not that obvious very much like the mental effect of (i.e.) a Vermeer painting (once you interpret all the symbols it’s not just a woman on an every-day time capture); this could change depending on my mood. Let’s see if I can pull this off.

Wish me luck!

Gord-MacDonald
03-27-2005, 05:30 AM
Some really good reflection on the theme. Alway a good place to start. I am looking forward to seeing where you go in your entry. Good Luck!:thumbsup:

Gord

NOOB!
03-31-2005, 05:35 PM
are ya still in?

SideAche
03-31-2005, 05:37 PM
I like your thought process.

ozhaver
04-02-2005, 11:17 PM
Thanks gordonm & SideAche!- thinking & doing research is always the longest part for me. As soon as I have a sketch done I'll start posting. (doing composition related thumbnails on schooldesks...LOL can't scan those ones).

NOOB- yeah I'm still in. :) I am finishing other pieces (3- I can really push one aside so perhaps it's 2) at the moment. Then I can dedicate myself wholly to this one. Oh, that and midterms...:sad:

Einar
04-11-2005, 08:44 PM
I rally like your style, so I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with! Good luck!

Nehym
04-16-2005, 03:22 AM
Oz! :) Didn't know you joined the challenge. Oi, oi, good luck to you. Will be watching your thread. As far as now, i like your concept. Can,t wait to see your first work step on it.

I wish i could have joined too (well i did but as you already know, comptuer died + other one doesn't run Photoshop so it is not a good situation to work on something for a challenge)

Ah well, will be looking forward to your updates. :)

SoniaNotRed
04-25-2005, 04:20 PM
Now you got us all curious.
I'll be checking back later for those updates.:)

Good luck!:thumbsup:

Lystmaler
05-05-2005, 01:34 PM
I have no idea wether you will ever read this, but I have to tell you that I was waiting for your entry. :/
Are you still doing this? Time is really tight now so if you are you should have started, or you need to work fast.

ozhaver
05-09-2005, 07:27 AM
My apologies! :cry:

I don't think I will finish on time but today I will start doodling. In any case, which is the most likely option, I will still complete the piece I start (if I get to start it) even if I don't make the deadline.

I have been going through some personal problems (of the emotional kind) and they have gotten in the way, the university was also on strike, and all in all headaches and artblocks and every evil...I barely managed to find the Ooomph to finish the last piece. Finals are here too...

But in any case, I will still try. :blush: If I don't make it, well, there will always be another time...and hopefully another challenge.

CGTalk Moderation
05-09-2005, 07:27 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.