PDA

View Full Version : Master and Servant 3D Entry: Michael G E Jarvis M C

Geta-Ve
03-22-2005, 05:56 PM
Michael G E Jarvis M C has entered the Master and Servant 3D.

Challenge Page (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/masterandservant/view_entries.php?challenger=5985)

Latest Update: Modeling: love conquers all
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5985/5985_1114751061_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5985/5985_1114751061_large.jpg)

Well another update with teeth and tweaked his face a bit.. I really think theres alot of emotion now.. the teeth definatly helped..

still have to work on the shirt and make the tongue.. Oh and if your wondering why the bottom teeth look weird its because they are a duplicate of the top teeth, I might change them depends if you guys think they are seriously noticable..?

Anyways ya.. Still got the hair to do and the texturing.. :/ then lighting..

Well thats it for now If you guys have any questions just ask :)

Geta-Ve
03-22-2005, 06:02 PM
yes, yes I have... Well I have a few ideas floating around my head, Ill try to draw out some half decent drawings soon.

first idea is

- White texas type guy with those glasses (like the guy from the oh brother where art thou movie) standing over a black man picking cotton..

This would probably be a low camera angle looking up to the white guy standing over the black guy as hes kneeling picking the cotton, looking up momentarily, or maybe looking back towards the camera, tear in his eye or something, the white guy of course would be standing in front of the sun, so that would make him very shadowed...

2nd idea is

- Well this one was sparked by what KingMob said, what am I a servant to? Love.. It would be a front facing camera angle with me/guy screaming pulling out his hair with 100 or so cupids behing him shooting arrows into him (big evil looking heart as the background) I really want him to be in pain and agony, .. if anyones been in love like I have then they will totally understand this, hehe.

I think Im going to go with the second one.. as its more personal to me, and will probably provide me with lots of insiration. Though alot of eminem (marshal mathers LP) will help too... really brings out the.... *ahem* hate? in me.. at least for myself and why I still love...er......... her... :p

Good luck to everyone else, and I hope I can mooch some inspiration off of you guys ;)

Leionaaad
03-22-2005, 06:19 PM
I like the first idea...the second is...need some sketches, maybe the image will be clear.

And about the first idea: I would put the slave in the foreground, and I would put more emphasis on him. perhaps i would make him a child. Or a very old man serving a very young texan...or something whatever you want.

Geta-Ve
03-22-2005, 06:37 PM
ya im gonna quickly sketch both, you know..

as for the first idea the black guy was going to be in the forground.. like ya he was going to be the main focus.. hence why the white guy would be shadowed from the sun.. (but still visible..

I like your young and old idea.. hmmm

hmmmmmm indeed :D thanks for the comments, Ill have to look for your thread too :) (link in your siggy :))

TheFirstAngel
03-22-2005, 07:02 PM
waiting for that 4 sec magic cube ;)

Just came to subsribe and wish you much fun and good luck, let it rock dude!

GraphicDragon
03-22-2005, 07:18 PM
Hey man! Good to see you around (you know me as BunjiB from the Wings3D forum).

I like your ideas as both have lots of possibilities. I'm sure you can make either work. Good Luck! I have some ideas so I've entered as well.

Geta-Ve
03-22-2005, 07:28 PM
wow.. I didnt think I'd get this many (3?) responses... I feel all warm inside :love:

Thanks for the encouragement guys, makes me want to really try hard.

GD - I had no clue you were on cgtalk.. :D thanks man

Angel - that cube is coming soon, dont you worry ;) maybe he will make an appearance in one of my entries.

Now I gotta go and subscribe to your guys threads. gonna be a busy 2 months for hotmail HAHA! (thank god for the 250mb eh)

Geta-Ve
03-22-2005, 07:51 PM
Damnit! :banghead: I cant sketch these! I totally suck at getting the perspective I want.. I think im going to rip out my hair... arg...

Anyone have any tips on how they like to sketch? like how do you get that perspective angle you want? Its just not fair, I can picture it in my head perfectly, but then my hand doesnt want to draw it like i imagine..

*sigh*

back to the drawing board.. Ill get this done..

sorry I just had to vent..

hv
03-22-2005, 08:04 PM
Well, you could try collage (helpful if you have a digicam and action figures) or use 3d primitives to block out. Concepts don't have to be all drawings or paintings.

Good luck:thumbsup:

nix0r
03-22-2005, 08:20 PM
lol, sketching can be a bitch :). I always tend to make them so messy that no-one can see what the hell it's supposed to be :D

Good luck on your sketches, and let's hope your hair grows back soon :)

SheepFactory
03-22-2005, 08:22 PM
why dont you sketch them in 3d first with simple primitives to get the perspective right and than render that image and sketch over it in pohotoshop ;)

Geta-Ve
03-22-2005, 08:32 PM
sheep - thats a fantastic idea! god damn why didnt I think of that! THANK YOU!

but then again, i sorta feel like I suck even more then.. though I suppose that isnt any different than using reference in modelling.. hmmm :)

nix0r - haha thats totally like me too, people will look at them and be like, what in the hell is that?! and ill just be like, what do you mean? its clear as day, look that line there, the one in betweent he squiggly and the bold line, thats his eyebrow and then that one there.............. :D

henrik - you had the same idea as sheep! excellent! actually what I just thought of.. since i have a webcam.. i could just take a picture of myself.. hmmmmmm

Honestly, thank you guys 10 fold. Really really appreciate it! the spark is coming back..mmmmm heh

Geta-Ve
03-22-2005, 08:54 PM
success! i have drawn the first good concept... its not uploaded yet though.. scanners being used. :/ but ya i have a good concept done.. or part of..

what I did was just took a pic of myself and then drew that.. heh.. yay! im happy ^_^

it will be up in a few hours :)

thanks again

coCoKNIght
03-22-2005, 08:59 PM
Hi mister gogerdetector! :scream:
have fun! me will have :)

Geta-Ve
03-23-2005, 02:56 AM
EDITED POST AS I OFFICIALLY SUBMITED THE CONCEPT

coCo - Hey man, good to see your participating! (at least i think you are?) hehe

Kid-Mesh
03-23-2005, 03:01 AM
The web cam picture....post it now lol.

Good luck with your entry.

Geta-Ve
03-23-2005, 03:12 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5985/5985_1111547548_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5985/5985_1111547548_large.jpg)

well here is my first concept.. .. just wanted to see what you folks thought... I would post the other one but I think im gonna go with this one..

kk, a bit of info about this image thus far... the placing isnt exact... and I still want like tons of little cupids behind him looking evil and all shooting their dirty little arrows -_- I think i also want him to be like all torn up and bleeding and arrows stuck in him and all that.. just because sometimes thats how I feel.. you know.. the pain is sooo great..

ya.. anyways, I drew this from an image of myself that I took with the webcam, which i dont think I will show you guys but maybe if theres alot of demand for it, but I have to tell you im not as cool as this guy here, hehe..

and in his mouth, thats his tounge, not tonsil or whatever you call it..

also I gotta give him a cool chicksnsnake logo somewhere. we should make an official one have it on every entry hahahaha

Virtuoso
03-23-2005, 03:17 AM
Hi Michael......getting deep into it quick I see........Interesting concept.......Best to you,have fun,and keep it smooth in the fastlane.......:arteest:

Geta-Ve
03-23-2005, 03:21 AM
Hi Michael......getting deep into it quick I see........Interesting concept.......Best to you,have fun,and keep it smooth in the fastlane.......:arteest:

whoa, for a second I was like, how the heck does he know my name?! :D then i was like oh ya.. :p

Thanks for the words man :) (i think) lol

Honestly all these great posts makes me want to try so hard! What an awesome community we have :love:

nix0r
03-23-2005, 04:52 AM
hey dude :), cool concept. Your sketch really shows emotion, I'll be following you :)

Shaykai
03-23-2005, 05:00 AM
Michael - Looking good man! I really like all the emotion on his face, are you planning on having the cupids look kind of evil?

Shaykai

TheFirstAngel
03-23-2005, 05:14 AM
Cant' make ot the master/servant yet, but maybe am a bit overtired.
reading that this painfilled guy is you in front of your webcam and now looking at nix0r's avatar makes me ask myself if you are far related... ;)

the sketch shows much expression. i like it. looking forward what this turns into :)
keep it up mate

Geta-Ve
03-23-2005, 05:21 AM
nix0r - thanks man :)

shaykai - ya the cupids will be evil looking, but at the same time cute.. you know.. er..

angel - Well see, the master servant thing is love is the master, and im its servant... better sounding would be im a slave to love... you know.. im naming this piece "love conquers all" because it fits so well.. you know like..

ok heres a little background info, ive been in love with the same girl for about... 2 or 3 years.. I just recently told her how I felt, and well it didnt turn out well... apparantly she thinks im "great, amazing, awesome, etc etc etc etc" however Im not good looking enough for her.. so that was a real.... let down.. that actually just happened 2 nights ago.. and thats why its bad because as much as it hurts i think im still in love with her, which is my love is my "master" and im its "servant" you know..

*sigh* but no worries im gonna get over her and blah blah blah..

btw i just noticed that similarity between nix0r and my concept hahaha, funny ^_^ *puts on best forrest gump impression* no sir we are not of relation

lol

Thanks guys so much for all your feedback!

edit: kidmesh - Ill think about posting that webcam pic ;) haha thanks man!

TheFirstAngel
03-23-2005, 05:38 AM
i know its not much of a crack up, but art always became its deepest and greatest pieces when artists fell into a tragedy, and there's no bigger emotion than love i think. And no better way for an artist to let pain out than to let it flow trough art. (and hah. She doesnt have an idea what she missed. An artists love...)

Never the less, understood now the meaning of the heartshape i was unsure about.
and again. its a great and very expessive drawing. Goooo, Michael, gooo!

Geta-Ve
03-23-2005, 07:07 PM
angel - Thanks man, that means alot to me :)

i am drawing up some more reference.. for cupids and such.. soo.. sometime tonight you will see more.. :)

DaddyMack
03-23-2005, 07:40 PM
Hi Geta-Ve, as always, great concept man... I think you have chosen 'out of the square' subject matter and think it would benefit from a little r&d into different treatments for it, departing from the traditional...

Geta-Ve
03-23-2005, 08:12 PM
Hi Geta-Ve, as always, great concept man... I think you have chosen 'out of the square' subject matter and think it would benefit from a little r&d into different treatments for it, departing from the traditional...

ya i think your right. Theres definatly going to be alot of give and take with this.. as to how I can approach certain things. but hopefully it will turn out great. :)

And if nothing else, this will definatly be a learning experience!

Geta-Ve
03-24-2005, 02:32 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5985/5985_1111631542_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5985/5985_1111631542_large.jpg)

kk, so this is just a color...erm... study.. if thats what you want to call it.

Just some really quick coloring in PS, just to see what things MAY look like.. since I completely suck at shadows, they arnt exactly present, so hopefully we will have alot of room to play around in the 3d stage.. (lighting i mean)

I am somewhat happy with these colors presently, but I think I need to give myself a real color scheme..

the look im going for is dark, and... agonizing? but I still want to be able to see his (my?) face and emotion.. you know..

I dont know if I like the hair color though.. even though thats pretty much my hair color.. and honestly I have no clue how im gonna do the hair come time for it... argh, ive never done hair before..

well this should be interesting to say the least..

any crits and comments and tips would be MUCH appreciated.

oh and hte cupids still arnt there.. hehe they will all be in the background surrounding the heart

Kid-Mesh
03-24-2005, 02:41 AM
Hmmm... well if you are going for a dark look. How about this, make the heart a deep rich plum color and keep it how you have it "valentine style" but put some veins in it to show that its pumping due to agony and pain. Make the guys shirt a dark color like grey or something to help add to the dark feel.

If dark is what you want in both feeling and look.....pink is killing you :)

In regards to the cupids here is something kinda cute and could fit the theme, have just one cupid in the shot and show him with an empty arrow case on his back. Then have the cupid in a pose where he has broken his "last" arrow on his knee as if to say....."bah, your hopeless...forget about it" with a digusted look on his face. Or you could have a second cupid on the other side in a pose handing him another arrow with a look on his face like..."just do your job moron and help the poor guy out".

Geta-Ve
03-24-2005, 03:03 AM
Hmmm... well if you are going for a dark look. How about this, make the heart a deep rich plum color and keep it how you have it "valentine style" but put some veins in it to show that its pumping due to agony and pain. Make the guys shirt a dark color like grey or something to help add to the dark feel.

If dark is what you want in both feeling and look.....pink is killing you :)

In regards to the cupids here is something kinda cute and could fit the theme, have just one cupid in the shot and show him with an empty arrow case on his back. Then have the cupid in a pose where he has broken his "last" arrow on his knee as if to say....."bah, your hopeless...forget about it" with a digusted look on his face. Or you could have a second cupid on the other side in a pose handing him another arrow with a look on his face like..."just do your job moron and help the poor guy out".

haha, ya i totally agree pink is killing me..

hmm I love your ideas about the cupids, but at the same time im afraid it might add too much "comedic" something or other to it.. you know.. but i definatly like the empty quiver idea.. and the thumping/veiny heart... ill have to definatly play around with the colors..

hmmm

at the moment im thinking i want the picture to be vibrant, but at the same time, dark and sad.. and I want the messege to be readable right away.. i want someone to be able to look at it and say "yes this guy knows the pain of love" or whatever..

kidmesh, thanks soo much man you've given me ALOT to think about :)

edit: and i have to say, hes going to be in a slightly different pose, more centered and a lower head... to excentuate the shadows..

OR i was thinking of having him screaming to the stars (so to speak) you know.. still hands pulling out the hair thing but just ya.. hmm definatly gotta play...

Virtuoso
03-24-2005, 03:17 AM
Michael.......keep tweaking away at it....this is the time for a solid foundation,the ideas now will carry all the modeling etc,etc...Just take your time during this stage.......I like the overall scheme of things.......Real nice suggestions by Kid mesh by the way.....:thumbsup:

Keep it churning....I'll be looking in......:)

TheFirstAngel
03-24-2005, 03:44 AM
I agree with Kid Mesh about the dark colorscheme and the pulsing, "fleshy" heart.
the color does your creation good, keep exploring it :)

Geta-Ve
03-24-2005, 04:31 AM
wow... ive never had so much encouragement in my life.... damn i feel so.. good.. hehe

thank you sooooo much guys, i will definatly keep working on this.. but i definatly need to start SOME modelling soon...

dmonk
03-24-2005, 04:43 AM
A servant of love...brilliant!

hv
03-24-2005, 06:33 AM
Geta-Ve, hey concepts turned out pretty good.

it hurts
Been there, man. Hang in there. Courage.

Have you thought of a small cupid arrow already stuck at the guy's heart area? That's where I felt the ache:sad:. How 'bout a black lipstick mark on one eye? Like a blackeye, but it's a girl's lipstick mark! Just some ideas your way.

Can't wait to check out them cupids. Are you going to make them wear those stayfree, floating diapers like in the old paintings or velcroed pampers-style?

Geta-Ve
03-24-2005, 04:56 PM
Well for the cupids I was thinking of... black wings, reddish skin, maybe flaming cupid arrows? (heart shaped of course) and as for diaper wear? hmm not too sure.. hehe..

hennrik - I like some of your ideas you had, definatly going to have a bunch of arrows stuck in him..

The feeling I want is that the guy wants the love to go away, but the cupids are evil and get some delicious satisfaction from making him stay in love, which is total pain for him, hence all the arrows, hence the evil cupids, hence, the whatever :p

but i still gotta make sure the "servant to love" idea shines through...

guess i could have his hands chained and little cupids would be pulling them, or what not..

but also that heart has to be instantly recognizeable, so people can just be like, heart, cupids, guy, chains... SERVANT TO LOVE! or whatever :p

dmonk - thanks man :)

and thanks again everyone! definatly going to get more done today.. hopefully i finish the concept stage at least by sunday.. at the very most...

THANKS! :love:

coCoKNIght
03-24-2005, 05:08 PM
Stop babbling now, we know that you're pro at that, but get back to WORK, we wanna SEE MORE!! :wip: :D hehe

Geta-Ve
03-24-2005, 06:33 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5985/5985_1111689216_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5985/5985_1111689216_large.jpg)

Hey, well, just a few more color adjustments and such.

Added the veins, added some chains... which I think sorta work.. Yes yes I know I still have to make the cupids :p Im getting to that.

The shirt im having a hard time to readjust the color, so Im probably just gonna do that later.. and Im definatly going to start modelling..

soon.

heh.

I know there isn't much more to comment on at this point so, Ill definatly draw up those cupids and see what you folks think of them.

Thanks for all your support, I really really really appreciate it.'

BTW, if you want to see a higher res version of this pic (for whatever reason) you can just go here click click (http://www.geta-ve.com/images/mas_12.jpg)

Kid-Mesh
03-24-2005, 06:39 PM
Ok, so with this latest revision let me see if I can read this correctly or at least from where I sit. We have a guy here who's master is "Love" because he cant help but to fall into it. The chains represent "Love" having the lock on him but the heart in the background will reflect the pain it causes him to be in love and that will also be shown on his face.

That's just how I see it, but its way cool nonetheless :thumbsup:

Geta-Ve
03-24-2005, 06:44 PM
Ok, so with this latest revision let me see if I can read this correctly or at least from where I sit. We have a guy here who's master is "Love" because he cant help but to fall into it. The chains represent "Love" having the lock on him but the heart in the background will reflect the pain it causes him to be in love and that will also be shown on his face.

That's just how I see it, but its way cool nonetheless :thumbsup:

Thats pretty much it :D Plus then all the cupids... terrorizing him, mocking him, not letting him go from this "something" :p

Thanks man :)

Kid-Mesh
03-24-2005, 06:45 PM
LOL, No problem :scream:

ihamid
03-24-2005, 08:07 PM
cool concept..... heheh not for the one whos right now the servant ;)!

pitiwazou
03-24-2005, 09:41 PM
so true !!!

good sketch and good idea ;)

good luck for this challenge ;)

Climax
03-24-2005, 10:48 PM
Yeah, the god danmed love..... lol :love:he is our real Master :buttrock::thumbsup:

Geta-Ve
03-24-2005, 10:50 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5985/5985_1111704605_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5985/5985_1111704605_large.jpg)

Well heres the start of the guy.. nothing amazing or great, just the start...

Gonna model him in the standard no expression pose. then do expressions later..

Anyways, ya just wanted to get this out there. Im happy so far with it, but your crits would be very welcome (if any)

Thanks!

Geta-Ve
03-24-2005, 10:52 PM
yuni - not EXACTLY sure what you meant, but I will agree anyways :D

piti - thanks man, good luck to you too! :thumbsup:

climax - ya man, you know what im talkin about :D

Thanks guys for all your support, means the world to me :)

ihamid
03-25-2005, 12:27 AM
heheh i should have written " not for the ones who are servants of love"....baaah :argh: ...forget it..not in my right mind now ...heheh! i see already started the models...man ur speeding!:)

Kid-Mesh
03-25-2005, 04:53 AM
Glad to see your starting to push polies :), cant crit yet because its your base but hey looking forward to this guy coming to life. Keep it up man.

Ollarin
03-25-2005, 04:57 AM
Awesome work Mike!:D

Make sure you win, and split the winnings with me. :p (Joking -.-)

Come on, let's see more...MORE!!!

Geta-Ve
03-25-2005, 08:35 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5985/5985_1111782934_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5985/5985_1111782934_large.jpg)

Well, heres an update on the modelling process.. Still have alot to do, and alot to fix.. I dont think I am going to model the ears as you wont see them, but we'll see.

Overall Im not liking the look of him so far, but I think the loops are good enough that it will be easy enough to change the proportions if need be.

Any crits and comments are definatly welcome :)

Virtuoso
03-25-2005, 08:36 PM
Hi michael.....Nice build-up,nice foundation and base.....keep it going,your on the right track.......:arteest:

Geta-Ve
03-25-2005, 08:38 PM
yuni - none of us are in our right minds bro :D

kid - thanks man, as you can see there is something to crit now, so DO IT! :twisted: :D

ray - your dumb and you need to be quiet :D jk jk either way ray if i win you will get my old comp ;)

virtuoso - wow that was fast man :eek: i assume your using hotmail? ;) Thanks man!!

jddog
03-25-2005, 08:41 PM
really cool concept and nice strat poly model... good luck !

jdd

ihamid
03-25-2005, 08:55 PM
hullo michael ... the model is coming up very correct....bit on the chubby side :) ! what are u feeding those polys ;) !

Kid-Mesh
03-25-2005, 09:24 PM
Nice edge loop foundation, you defintely have what you need to get started :)

In regards to the ears go ahead and model them, its good practice and you might use the model for something else later :thumbsup:

orion 77
03-25-2005, 09:29 PM
good start on the head, is it done in wings?

without sounding like a know it all id like to see you expand your concept a bit further if you have the time.

Geta-Ve
03-26-2005, 12:28 AM
jddog - thanks man :)

yuni - hey ya, i dont want him overly thin... :p but ya he is a bit chubby.. (but then again im no justin timberlake ;) )

kid - model the ears? :( that means more work for meeeee perhaps if time permits.. but they wont be first on the list..

orion - hmm i was thinking of that but I dont know how to expand it.. I want to keep it subtle and easily recognizeable but at the same time i want someone to definatly relate/feel for the character

TheFirstAngel
03-26-2005, 12:43 AM
nice progress, just something you will like to look forward to:
unwrapping. since you model yourself, its one of the sickest things to look at, your own face, skin stripped of and flattened... hahaha.

Nose is a bit big yet, but its just basemodeling, so, easy tweaked. Keep it up mate!

Geta-Ve
03-26-2005, 12:58 AM
angel - maybe i have a big nose? :D

nah.. ya i was thinking it was a bit big too..

btw.. just to tell you all im NOT going for photorealistic look, for a few reasons - 1. im pretty sure i cant do it, and 2. im pretty sure i cant do it :D

so what im gonna try for is styalized look.. alllll hand painted textures.. well with some base materials/pics or what not used for textures and such...

oh man.. whole cupid.. ugh.. shirt.. hair..... im dead... :p

GraphicDragon
03-26-2005, 01:08 AM
Great start man! :thumbsup:

I'm really liking the concept and I agree with you to keep it simple and clean. I also agree about modeling just what will be seen. You are off to a fast start with a complete concept and start of modeling but, as we all know, time can get away quick if we don't work lean.

You asked for crits so the only thing I can see so far is one or two extra edge loops you can ditch. Between the lips and nose there are three edge loops... the middle one can go for sure. Removing excess loops should save time tweeking later. I know your still working on it so take that with a grain of salt.

Your concept is clear and emotional so I'm betting you will do very well.

Geta-Ve
03-26-2005, 02:21 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5985/5985_1111803713_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5985/5985_1111803713_large.jpg)

Well just a small update, I, for the most part, finished the face.. I still may do the ears, but they are definatly not on the top of my to do list. I still need to do teeth tounge and whatever else..

But for the most part I think this should be ok...... Ill give him some expressions and see where we are at then.

I was thinking of just doing the arms as seperate objects.. as you wont exactly see them connecting and such.. then I will have to model the shirt.. and... ugh.. so much more.. I'll think of something.

Thanks for all your support guys, and crits and comments are definatly welcome :)

Geta-Ve
03-26-2005, 02:29 AM
GDragon - thanks man. totally right how time can easily get away from us ;) as we know all too well.. or at least I do ;)

but ya.. Ill have to look at those loops that you mentioned, actually looking now I can definatly see which ones you mean, Ill fix that right up, thanks man!

and thanks for the end comment, means alot to me :love:

TheFirstAngel
03-26-2005, 02:47 AM
interesting a topology, if its smove, its fine :),
i know, perspective view makes shrink the backhead, but isn't that area a bit small yet? (wat if yo have a... ;)) keep on going! go michael go go!
keep it up!

Geta-Ve
03-26-2005, 02:47 AM
Hey there, first off sorry for the triple post but I have a new idea for this. Or rather an alternate direction.

Basically im taking out the cupids. Why? well because....*ahem* I dont know if I can do them in time... BUT my new idea might be a bit simpler and direct. listen up.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

jk

but seriously, kk, everything will be like in the concept cept Im thinking about having the chains (still on his arms) but attached to the heart in the background.. so its more like hes trying to "Break" away from it and it sort of gives off more of the "master and servant/slave" idea.. and I was thinking about detailing the heart a bit more even having it ripping down the center a bit (from me pulling) and perhaps even having some of the links on the chain breaking.

I can still give off the cupid vibe by having arrows stuck in him everywhere you know..

what do you guys think? Because honestly, this is 100 times more work than ive ever previously done, this is like full modelling, FULLL texturing (something ive never attempted on organics) and that includes unwrapping something that will almost likely take me a few weeks as ive never unwrapped an organic.. then there is the lighting which in itself can take weeks.. (at least for me :D) then setting up the mood.. and.. making it look good.. and ugh... im freaking myself out..

I really like the cupid idea.. but I really dont know if I can texture a full "human" character (as well as I want)

Like honestly, I have very high standards for my own work.. especially if it means soemthing to me.. not trying to sound conceited but I just dont want to screw up..

anyways tell me what you guys think..

Geta-Ve
03-26-2005, 02:53 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5985/5985_1111805587_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5985/5985_1111805587_large.jpg)

well heres a side view just to show you his side proportions :)

angel - ya its pretty.. smove....smooth... :p and ya heres the side view for you, what do you think?

TheFirstAngel
03-26-2005, 02:53 AM
just for u and the topic:

do what you love,
love what you do,
to deliever more,
than you promise

T.Watson jr.---> keep it up mate!

bout unwrapping, an organic, do it element by element and then stich back together. unwrapping takes time and sux. but its a still and you (do?) have Zbrush, so unwrapping can be ev. being skipped by using guv tiles.

texturing takes time, but you're working on such a high speed, shouldn't be a problem for you to get things done :)

cheers

Kid-Mesh
03-26-2005, 02:57 AM
Dude we have over 50 + days :)

I know it seems overwhelming and for most of us (it is). But just break your tasks down into manageable chunks and take breaks after your milestones, your doing great!. If you dont finish in time then you dont finish in time, as long as you gain more skill than you had when you started and your having fun then that's what its all about. And each time you try a new challenge you will be quicker because your skills have grown from the last.
< \ end pep talk >

Now on to your new idea, Man that's fantastic! I think having the guy chained to the heart is awesome. When you said your going to have him pulling away from it and it's tearing that put an image of a volumetric light coming from the tear in my mind..this could be nice when completed.

So hey, Just get your main character fleshed out to where you can get him in the pose you want and start working on whatever else you need to model just to stay fresh. You can always come back to each part and tweak up until the final day!....Just have fun I'll be here to keep kicking you in the ass all the way to the deadline :scream:

Geta-Ve
03-26-2005, 03:05 AM
angel - nice poem ;)

i......... (have..) zb but Ive pretty much just started using it for basic stuff modelling and such (almost gotten the hang of, zspheres are nice :) but i havnt done any .. unwrapping? in it.. any links or anything you can give me for the stuff your talking about? thanks man!

kid - ahh.. that is what i needed, thank you sooo much ^_^ and that volumetric light idea! brilliant! oh man i pictured it in my mind and wow! (that is if i know what volumetric light is hahaha:D) Im thinking you meant something along the lines of.... like when your in a pitch black room and someone opens a door and all the light just bursts in? type thing? and ya I can always come back and tweak and stuff... ahhh what an awesome community we have here. and you better believe ill be kickin your ass to the finish line too! :D

Thanks guys soo much, i feel sooo inspired right now :applause:

TheFirstAngel
03-26-2005, 03:17 AM
zbrush----> check, that should help... :)

http://206.145.80.239/zbc/showthread.php?t=3471

GraphicDragon
03-26-2005, 04:12 AM
Kid Mesh gave some very sound advice. You really need to take the time to make a schedule of what you would like to get done by what time... then stick to it. Don't stress over perfection at every step, just do what you can then move on. Remember that when Pixar made The Incredibles they used every "cheat" and shortcut they could think of to make deadlines... and they did a fair job huh?

As far as your texturing worries, my humble advice would be to stick with Wings3D AutoUV. ZBrush is great but, knowing you, the learning curve would stress you out with the time limit. No disrespect to you or the1st_angel but momentum depends on what you can pick up quickly.

You are very talented so trust your first instincts and keep moving forward. If you push through the modeling, mapping, texturing, composition, lighting and rendering... you can tweek to your hearts content up to the last minute!

Kid-Mesh
03-26-2005, 11:06 AM
So far so good on the model, here are just a few things for c & c that im suggesting.

1. The jawline right below the ear needs to be defined or pulled out just a tad.
2. Under the chin area, shape the neck a little more to make it angular which would
give him a little more younger apperance. And also a seemingly silmer apperance too :)
3. The points at the top of the head, experiment with pulling them out towards the top
and front a little more to round it some which should also give the forehead some height
as well.

Really thats it for me from that profile, now that you have your base you can play with it until your hearts content but dont play that long. :D

Geta-Ve
03-26-2005, 10:30 PM
angel - thanks man, im gonna take a quick read through of it, see if I can make heads or tails of it. :)

GDragon - I agree with you about the ZB thing, but if its an easier process in the end it might be worth my full attention to learn? We will see though.. because honestly painting with a mouse = very hard! :p hrmm.. Still though. Anyways thank you kindly for all your encouragement and advice, I really do appreciate it :)

Kid - I fixed up alot of what you said, and as much as he may or may not look like me I want to give him a slimer face and just a face even a mother could love ;) but really I think im gonna play around with the cheeks and such still and the jaw.. and and and :D

Thanks guys, Ill have an update by.. tonight.

Geta-Ve
03-26-2005, 11:16 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5985/5985_1111878965_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5985/5985_1111878965_large.jpg)

Well, smallish update on the face, change a few proportions, and rearanged some loops, I think he looks a bit younger here, which is good, but I still want to keep going a bit.. hmm

Still havn't gotten rid of that one loop on the upper lip ;) but ill get to it :D

Anyways I think Im going to start the arms tonight.. or maybe the shirt..

Anyways, just threw on a skin looking color since I was getting bored of white.. :p

Btw, so I can takle this early, anyone have any ideas on how I can go about doing the hair? I think this will be a big issue on this project, unless theres an easy way to do hair that I dont know of? :p

Thanks for all your support and encouragement guys!

ihamid
03-26-2005, 11:39 PM
hullo michael ...i see the head is looking good! :).....hmm there are some out the way bumps on the forehead ....apart from that it looks very clean..keep it shaping....:arteest:

Kid-Mesh
03-27-2005, 12:01 AM
Looking good man looking good....youre in a groove now!

Ollarin
03-27-2005, 02:33 AM
Looking very nice Mike! Keep at it!! :D

Kanga
03-27-2005, 02:42 AM
Btw, so I can takle this early, anyone have any ideas on how I can go about doing the hair? I think this will be a big issue on this project, unless theres an easy way to do hair that I dont know of? :p

Nice modelling!
The face looks like it does when you pull the corners of your mouth out in that 'I dunno' expression. It doesn't look relaxed unless you want to have an expression before morphing.

Depending on how your scene is (comp) if its a closeup then you might want to use a plug for the hair, ornatrix, shag, etc. If the face is further away just model a hairstyle and make a texture in photoshop, there are plenty of tutes on the web for it.

Good luck man.

Geta-Ve
03-27-2005, 03:07 AM
yuni - which bumps do you mean? And thanks for the comments :)

kid - groove eh? far out! :D

ray - ahh what do you know? you noob :D jk!

kanga - ya the mouth has been bugging me too... alot in face.. :/ But Im gonna just re-expression in later so doesn't matter I guess.. and about the hair, its going to be.. well fairly close.. im using maya.. Which plugins are good for that? Ill have to search a bit. Thanks man! Really appreciate your input!

Kanga
03-27-2005, 03:10 AM
Thought Maya 6 had its own hair plug,.... check their site or your app info :thumbsup:

Geta-Ve
03-27-2005, 03:43 AM
well they have the default fur thing.. but come on? :p that thing is harder to use than 1000 dollar bill. :D

Ill play with it though, unless you meant something else?

Kid-Mesh
03-27-2005, 03:48 AM
Im wondering the same thing with my model, im proably going to texture it because I havent really worked with sasquatch in LW. But hey, you will figure it out.

overcontrast
03-27-2005, 04:52 AM
good modleing start on the head... but i just want to point out to u that the head dosent looks much in proportion. The distence between the eyes and the top of the head is too low and the distence between the nose and the upper lip is to high. U might try to fix that. Keep going buddy, i'll b watching u progress :thumbsup:

Neeno
03-27-2005, 05:24 AM
Im not going to say a good modeling 'Start" thats close to finish LoL.. i really liek it very clean model dude.. very clean. Keep it up. i'll be watching.. (another flower dude) LoL

Take care :bounce:

Geta-Ve
03-27-2005, 08:26 AM
Kid - Ya I was playing around with mayas hair and really wasnt getting anywhere.. alot of tweaking is neccessary and it doesnt render out in MR (at least not that I know of) and I CANT get it to recieve shadows.. But definatly I want to go for realish hair for the head.. Ill keep workin it. I think yours would definatly be better modeled, would fit the whole style you know.

overcontrast - Thanks man I was thinking the same thing about the nose to the upper lip being too far apart too, and I think your right about the forhead too. But then again maybe im just a weirdo.. hehe

neeno - what a cool name, nneeeeeennnooooooooo :D Anyhoo, thanks man :thumbsup:

but ya, thanks guys for all the encouragement and support, definatly will have a good update for you tomorrow...oorrrrr monday because tomorrows easter and we spend it at my cousins.

Happy Easter to whome ever celebrates it! and happy whatever else to who ever else celebrates whatever else (whoa.. say that 5 times fast) :D:applause:

Neeno
03-27-2005, 08:55 AM
ahaha Thanks dude yah every one calls me Neeno so yeah lol.. lets see those updates.. cheers dude :)

ihamid
03-27-2005, 08:43 PM
sorry michael ...a little late in replying....just ment there was very small highlights on the forehead....anyway u probably have smoothed it .....nice man!...btw for hair try using paint effects or u can try nurbs patches with transpaancy mapped textures....:)

Ollarin
03-28-2005, 02:14 AM
Ya I was playing around with mayas hair and really wasnt getting anywhere.. alot of tweaking is neccessary and it doesnt render out in MR (at least not that I know of) and I can get it to recieve shadows..
Hair > Paint Effects > Paint Effects > Polygons > Render with shadows.

Geta-Ve
03-28-2005, 04:22 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5985/5985_1111983730_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5985/5985_1111983730_large.jpg)

Well this isnt anything special just testing out expressions, seeing if the model can handle any kind of somewhat good expression.. which it seems it can.. sorta :D

Anyways, still working on the shirt and arms, will posst when I have something to show :)

Geta-Ve
03-28-2005, 04:25 AM
Oh, something else I should have mentioned, was I slimmed up the face a bit more and changed a FEW more proportions.. heh..

neeno - updates coming!

yuni - ya there are definatly alot of approaches I can take.. Ill have to really do some testing

ray - man I dont want to do polys unless I have to, Ill have enough without having to convert every strand into polys :argh:

Geta-Ve
03-28-2005, 05:59 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5985/5985_1111989541_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5985/5985_1111989541_large.jpg)

Well here is the early start on the shirt... very.. early..

Still alot to do. Im making the whole shirt asymetrical obviously so that will take some time, and ive never done wrinkles before, so that will take time as well. buuut I think I can do it, just keep pushing and pulling polys :)

Ill have a wireframe up for you guys a bit later as cgtalk is slloooowwwww as hell right now.

Any and all crits/commets are very welcome!

alex.h.
03-28-2005, 06:15 AM
its getting there, if you get stuk on wrinkels or any part, i usely then do some renders and bring them to photoshop and there i sketch over it, youst to try out how it loks whith diffrent creases and things , that way you dont lose any modeling time.
then its youst to go back to lovly modeling whith some fresh ideas.
see you and :thumbsup:

Shaykai
03-28-2005, 02:24 PM
Looking great so far, I think the key to this piece will be the emotion evoked in his expression. Keep pushing those polys, I look forward to an update. Oh yeah, don't forget to add some ears!! ;) (unless of course his hands will be covering them in which case it may be pointless modeling)

Shaykai

Kid-Mesh
03-28-2005, 02:29 PM
Nice, slowly but surely its coming together...Keep pushing them thar polies! :applause:

TheFirstAngel
03-29-2005, 02:28 AM
krunchem polys mate! sad my tut did'nt help you, but if i get into maya, i'll tell you how to convert the method, promise!
neck still is a bit thick, but if you go for zbrush or some clusterworx, adding some veins could justify the mass, illustrating the pain he goes trough. keep it up mate!

Ollarin
03-29-2005, 02:29 PM
Coming along nicely!

And you suck. You either convert the damn things to polygons. Or just simulate hair with textures and planes. -.-

Geta-Ve
03-29-2005, 07:10 PM
alex - thats fantastic advice! actually whats funny is I just stood in front of a mirror with the same shirt from the ref and I cringed at all the wrinkles (then again it was never ironed :D)

shaykai - ya man, totally! it will all be about the face, the face really has to be convincing!

kid - thanks man!

angel - no worries about the tutorial :) you did your best! I will just have to fight with mayas hair, and learn :p Ya Ive been debating whether to take him into ZB or not. We will see.

ray - ill simulate YOU! :D thanks!

So ya, sorry for the lack of update today, definatly will have something, I am thinking I want the arms done today and perhaps even the cuffs :)

Thanks guys! really appreciate all the encouragement your giving me!

Geta-Ve
03-29-2005, 09:27 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5985/5985_1112131665_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5985/5985_1112131665_large.jpg)

well heres another update on the shirt, basically as you can see, im just working on the left side trying to get that done, but I still want to do the arms too, just so I can get better positioning and such, you know.

hmm I hate doing arms and hands.. ah well

Funny thing I discovered today, when I went to try out some hair on my actual guys head, the guy has to be uvmapped first, (i had previously been trying it out on mayas native spheres) so just so I can simplify things, I think im going to just place a whole bunch of spheres inside his head and grow the hair from them, I think that would give me alot more control too.. I hope anyways.

and then that will also save on uvmapping :p hopefully.. I might just uvmap only the part of the head that will be seen, however if I do this I am then commiting myself to that one view, though I think it works rather nicely, and since I dont have any other ideas for this I am going with it.

SO, cheats used thus far

- no ears
- uvmap only part of head that can be seen
- sphereified hair

:p haha if I won.. and I had to make a tutorial out of this.. oh man. That would be the messiest tutorial anyones ever seen. I call it, the G-Way :D

Thanks guys!

Virtuoso
03-29-2005, 09:30 PM
Well the G-ways looking good...dont under-estimate yourself......it's coming along quite well Michael.........Just keep it strong as you are.I'll be watching.Nice update!:arteest:

Geta-Ve
03-29-2005, 11:56 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5985/5985_1112140614_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5985/5985_1112140614_large.jpg)

well this was just a test playing with bones and such.. works kinda nicely.. I know his mouth his just closed, but he can open and close.. :p though it opens weirdly.. like not how I want.. hmm I will have to play and such.. no worries. :)

virtuoso - thanks man :)

Geta-Ve
03-30-2005, 01:10 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5985/5985_1112144994_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5985/5985_1112144994_large.jpg)

hey there again, another small update, been playing with hair, this is approx 2 hours of work, but most of that was figuring things out..

So what we have here is 3 spheres for each eye brow set directly behind the eyebrow area, then I just painted the hairs onto the spheres using mayas hair thing plugin thing :p then assigned Paintfx brush to each nurbs curve, creating 10 hairs per curve... then after that its just a matter of playing with the settings, clumpness, color, thickness, etc etc.. :p still alot to do but the general idea is there.

For the most part it works nicely, the only bad thing is I will pretty much have to wait till the very end (expression set and everthing) to put in the hair, because its not exactly editable.. :p

I tried creating just a general polygon umm thingy.. shaped into the way the eyebrow looks but problems popped up with that.. :/ soo Looks like spheres are the way to go, heh. for now at least.

EDIT: as for the white hair.. :p I just thought it looked funny haha. I can do any color I want really..

Kid-Mesh
03-30-2005, 01:31 AM
Santa?? LOL Payback is a !#$@ :D

Just kidding man, Looking good. I havent really played with hair plugins too much cause they never work how I want and my style doesnt really fit it. Cant wait to see how it turns out though. Overall you model is looking good my friend keep it up. :buttrock:

Geta-Ve
03-30-2005, 08:34 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5985/5985_1112171688_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5985/5985_1112171688_large.jpg)

Huzzah!

As you can see I finally started the heart. Nice to see something other than the guy for a change eh? :D

This is about.. an hours worth of work so far. I am thinking of throwing it into zb for the veins and stuff as I dont think I can maintain apporproate loops for them. but we will see.

There will also be veins inside the heart as well being ripped and sh.. er stuff. Im roughly following a little reference I drew up on my desk the other day (yes I draw on my desk.. and many other things.. haha)

Anyways any and all crits and comments are very welcome :)

Geta-Ve
03-30-2005, 08:35 AM
kid - Thanks man, appreciate the support :)

Reinier
03-30-2005, 08:57 AM
Going strong i see... i will be watching this unfold ;) good luck.

~ reinier

Kid-Mesh
03-30-2005, 12:03 PM
Nothing too much to crit really since its your base mesh, the only thing I could think is maybe make the rip a bit wider. I mean this guy is heart "broken" so make the rip reflect the painful damage....go for dramatics!

But yeah, take that puppy into ZBrush and let me see some of those thick veins come into play :)

Neeno
03-30-2005, 12:11 PM
hey there man...
very clean modeling dude.. coming along very nicely .. i have no crits only a compliment.. good work dude.. love to see more

hv
03-30-2005, 05:08 PM
Excellent. Great to see your progress shots to date. Can't wait to see that broken heart with the chains and manacles.

Just to give you feedback of my impressions upon seeing your head model progress shots:

Untextured, he looks old. Not senior citizen old, but older than say Keanu Reeves (just as an example). With his strong jaw line and thick neck he looks to me to be heroic. Somebody who's a heartbreaker rather than the heartbroken:) The neck won't be an issue of course if you stick with the head on camera angle as in your concept.

Not just with your current wips but as you move along is to consider how much you want to emphasize your main character's vulnerability and indicate to first time viewers what he's current strength level is in countering his problem. Does he stand a chance or is he doomed.

Keeping your concept in mind, if the man looks old the anticipated impressions could be: he's still suffering from loss; he made a poor decision in life (obviously caused by a spouse, lover, whatever) and he's now paying for it, he's trapped but there's some strength left to break free since cracks have appeared on the heavy heart.

If the character is youthful looking (by slimming his features a bit), anticipated impressions could be: he's madly in love; he's current relationship is going sour; he's suffering from rejection; he's in a love triangle - push and pulled by competing lovers.

If the character is unattractive my initial thoughts could be: he's having trouble finding love because of his looks; he can only have a relationship with a particular type of person who's likely the domineering type; he's obsessed with somebody he's attracted to but has a problem dealing with it (he's shy and can't introduce himself effectively, the "obsession" avoids him or is always unapproachable, etc.)

If he's attractive: he's having trouble fending off chicks because of his looks; he's having problems staying in 1 relationship; perhaps his partner is attractive too but gives him grief...and he's more interested in the insurance money:twisted:

Just some suggested areas you can fine tune if you wish.

Geta-Ve
03-30-2005, 06:35 PM
reinier - Thanks man :)

Kid - Ya still a bit early, gonna play with ZB today see what I can do

Neeeeeennnnoooooooo - :D Thanks man appreciate the support!

Henrik - Ah this is great stuff, alot of this I had in the back of my mind. Ya I definatly lack finess in "age" when it comes to my models. The age Im looking for is about 20, and fairly good looking, nothing spectacular, but, like the "cute" angle, you know. He shouldn't have too much problems finding good girls to go out with, it's just the ones he does find they are a bit too "superficial" As much as they say their not -_-

But ya, this is great feedback, honestly I have no clue what hes going to look like textured..

hmm..

Why isn't there an easy way to texture?! :p

Anyways guys, henrik, thank you SOOOO much for your support, encouragement, and crits, I really do appreciate them :)

gra7
03-30-2005, 06:46 PM
great model !

claean modeling !
waiting to see more ! c ya !

alex.h.
03-30-2005, 06:46 PM
only one thing to say , great work mate,keep up this way and listen to all great advise you get (not so mutch from me,sorry, time presure at work) but i think you now what i mean.
see you and :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Geta-Ve
03-30-2005, 07:48 PM
gra7 - thank you kindly :)

alex - yup, tons of great advice around here that I need to keep my ears open for, and not just in my thread, but in many others.

Thanks guys!

hv
03-30-2005, 08:46 PM
is about 20, and fairly good looking, nothing spectacular, but, like the "cute" angle, you know. He shouldn't have too much problems finding good girls to go out with, it's just the ones he does find they are a bit too "superficial"

Edward Norton (as he appeared in Fight Club) came to mind after reading this description.:)

Geta-Ve
03-30-2005, 08:47 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5985/5985_1112215673_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5985/5985_1112215673_large.jpg)

Hey there, small update, I lowered the eyes (which you cant tell much) and I added a blindfold, just to enhance the whole love theme going on, like "love is blind"

Actually I was inspired from reiniers piece and Im very glad he let me use the idea. Dont know how well it works here, but I think once the expressions are set on my guy it could work very well.

I also slimmed the neck up a bit and played with the jaw a bit to make it less defined.. Im trying to get him to look younger, what do you guys think?

I think its helping but definatly need to play a bit more.. or maybe texture him ... :( I wonder how else I can cheat textures... hmmmmmmmm ^_^

Anyways thats all for now, I am REALLY going to try to start on the arms tonight, hehe, I realize I've been saying that since the 27th but I really think I mean it this time :D

Thanks guys!

Geta-Ve
03-30-2005, 08:50 PM
henrik - edward norton? really?! hmmmm Ill have to check him out see what I can make of him, heh. Thanks man! :D

hv
03-30-2005, 09:13 PM
Or Mark Ruffalo. Actually, after checking Ruffalo's face on google his facial features are pretty close to your current head model.

My girlfriend made me watch "13 going on 30" with her. Ruffalo's in it with the lead star Jennifer Garner. Apparently, female viewers sympatize with his low key character since Garner's character picks another type of guy (jock) over him in the beginning of the movie.

Geta-Ve
03-30-2005, 09:24 PM
Oh ya I remember him, ya he does sorta resemble my model eh.. haha

I think I just gotta texture this dude.... nooooooo lol

alex.h.
03-30-2005, 09:43 PM
getting there, love is blind yaaaaaa(maaby) se you mate, god work :thumbsup:

coCoKNIght
03-30-2005, 09:45 PM
Ou man, haven't had time to read through all posts but I think your new idea is even better than the old one. You're fast and clever, don't worry about the time too much!
Aaaaaand, shouldn't the eyes be more or less in the middle of the head? :D :wip:

ihamid
03-30-2005, 09:51 PM
aha michael...things getting better and better...:) !,......how about the blind folded cloth is slightly ripped in places....damage from arrows eh?:) .....now get those arms done man:scream: ...but no need to hurry still have time ...:bounce:

Geta-Ve
03-30-2005, 10:28 PM
alex - thanks man!!

coCo - :D I think YOUR eyes should be in the middle of your head FREAK! :D:D joking! Blindfold fixes that all up :p

yuni - Thanks man, ya thats a good idea, I like that :bounce: nice nice

Thanks guys!!

Geta-Ve
03-30-2005, 11:33 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5985/5985_1112225584_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5985/5985_1112225584_large.jpg)

Well heres the whole thing so far. The biggest update here, which you can't see, is the gums, I modeled the whole top gumline, I have to add the teeth, then model the bottom gumline then the bottom teeth, then.. the tounge (tongue?)

Still havn't added the rips to the blindfold, or the arms or the chains etc..

hmm ok heres what I have to model still

- Teeth
- Arms
- Tongue
- Chains
- (manicles?)
- Arrows?

What I have to finish

- Shirt
- Heart
- Blindfold
- Face?

Then whatever else.

Anyways, this might be the kind of camera angle we will be seeing, what do you guys think? It is definatly going to be a front facing angle but not sure if it will be looking upwards or downwards or directly at him..

Oh also, with the chains, since he will be pulling away I thought it would be neat to have some of the links of the chains breaking apart (like when you see in the movies :D )

anyways, thanks for all your support guys! You are the ones that keep me going.

edit: btw you will definatly see alot more of the heart in the final image.. just so your not like WTF DUDE?! You want to die?! lol

alex.h.
03-30-2005, 11:51 PM
that angle suits him well, you are not taking it easy i se, thats god, but i got to go and have a nap, see you and :thumbsup:

Geta-Ve
03-31-2005, 04:50 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5985/5985_1112244655_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5985/5985_1112244655_large.jpg)

HEY! Well heres a crap update for you, I was just playing with the hair.. and seriously, it sucks big time. All I want is MESSY hair, and I can get it.. its all too uniform. I wish I could just mold the hairmyself or whatever.. And it doesn't help that I cant put the hair directly on the head.. *sigh*

Anyways, lol, the arms are still not started.. and lots of other crap..

I'll still have to play with the hair, see what I can do.

Ciao, Im out for now. Maybe Ill start the arms.

Geta-Ve
03-31-2005, 04:52 AM
Alex - Thanks man, ya Im not taking it easy, totally stressing HAHA! :D But no worries, Im still sane :D

You guys think im bad now, just wait till theres like 3 days left. hahahahaha :D

Kid-Mesh
03-31-2005, 05:26 AM
Dude we gotta hook up sometime and have a drink :beer: you are friggin hillarious. You know you have really helped me get through this comp thus far just on pure laughs alone. I needed it that right before I go to bed tonight too.

Anyway, yeah like I stated in a earlier post...I hate hair plugins. That's why I roll with the bald head or a hat on my models hahaha. But keep at it man, you going to find that right combo and the next update or two ole boy will be looking like Fabio :thumbsup:

Geta-Ve
03-31-2005, 05:56 AM
kid - Ya man I'd drink you under the table any day :D Actually Im only 20, dunno how old you are, but I think you mentioned a wife in another thread? soo.. :p Or perhaps im delusional? haha

But ya, Ill be sure to get the fabio due out soon ;) Arg ya im really struggling with this hair plugin.. I think im gonna try my hand at either, modelling the hair, or spline patches or whatever... We will see..

Orr.. perhaps he is bald, because love burns, you know passion, firey passion, and he loved the girl so much he ended up getting burnt in the end LITERALLY! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

THATS BRILLIANT MICHAEL! GOD DAMN BRILLIANT!

OH MAN! I COULD ERASE HIM TOTALLY! because he loved her so much that when he was rejected he felt so bad that now he feels like he doesnt even exist! AAAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :arteest::surprised:surprised:arteest::D

*ahem* Sorry the pressure must be getting to me... or perhaps its this lead top..

Neeno
03-31-2005, 06:02 AM
hey there...

dude, this is looking really cool man.. yeah dont you just hate doing hair.. what re you using man?? to make the hair ? do you have any hair plugins that could help you achieve the look your after, cause there are come great plugins out there to get exactly what you want man..
other then that your progress is coming along very nicely.

TheFirstAngel
03-31-2005, 06:06 AM
mauauaaaaahahahaha :scream: love that last update.
ok, serious, if you want it more strainy, cant you make "lots more areas" of definition. or some "randomisation?", in shaghair, i can add some noise to a map and assign it to z-axis randomisation... hair is a tricky bit. don't know, maybe there's a possebilety like that too in your tool?
keep it coming, waiting for "whoopie goldberg meets sid vicious"-update ;)

Geta-Ve
03-31-2005, 06:08 AM
Neeeeeeeeeeennnooooooooooooo :D

Nah man, only thing im using is maya 6's native hair plug in, which is totally ... stupid. I'd like to see anyone get anything usefull out of that piece of garbage. And if then can, then tell me how :D

Unfortunately I dont have any other hair plugins... :/
hmmm Anyone want to tip me off to something good.. and umm free? lol I know there are alot of free plugins but hair plugins are just not one of them..:D

Ah well. I will figure something out I guess..

Angel - Man I looked up and down for a randomisation node/attribute thing, notta.. there are definatly alot of options to play with, but Im just not finding the right one.. There are also constraints and stuff, but I cant make heads or tails out of those.

I had also thought I could just you know throw down some wind into the scene to blow back the hair a bit, but noooooooo we can't make things easy for ol' Geta-Ve can we.. the hair can go up, and it can go down... Take your pick :D

Thanks for the support guys, really appriciate it!

Geta-Ve
03-31-2005, 12:07 PM
Anyways, just wanted to inform you all Im gonna be on hiatus for about 5 days.. going into the city (where I used to live) to visit friends and help a cousin with something. I feel horrid leaviing the challenge right now for friends but, honestly I need this, :p I havn't seen my friends in sooooo long.

Thanks guys for all the support you have given me, and I promise when I get back, those arms will be done so help me god!! :D

alex.h.
03-31-2005, 12:12 PM
keep going mate, you get there. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Kid-Mesh
03-31-2005, 01:00 PM
Have a good time man, maybe it will regenerate you!

I'll try to keep the fire hot while your gone :twisted:

Geta-Ve
03-31-2005, 01:46 PM
alex - :scream: Thanks!

kid - You better!! :twisted:

Ill try to check in with all you guys during the next few days.. Though I wont be able to check everyone, because most threads im subbed to i have in my favs (like 20 something) but as long as the link is in your siggy i will :D

Cheers guys!

Ollarin
04-02-2005, 03:45 AM
MIKE! Where are you? Biatch! Leaving on my off day? :(

Better get back soon.

I'll try to big Kid to keep on his challenge while you're gone. :p

jake rupert
04-02-2005, 06:26 AM
Hope you will resolve the hairproblem.......

Ac0rN
04-02-2005, 12:25 PM
G-g-g-g-g-g geta-ve unit :p , it looks nice so far, the hair tho... hmm... needs a little work, I really like the concept sketch.

Good luck to you mate :thumbsup:

Geta-Ve
04-02-2005, 07:58 PM
Ray - Sorry bro! I saw you online yesterday, but never bothered to msg, I was toooo tired. I will email you in a few days.

jake - Thanks man! Ya I hope I do too, cuz its really a piss off.

kr3..I mean Ac0rN - You know, I would have never gotten that "g-g-g-g-g" thing if I hadnt have listened to "The Game, Dokumentary" :D haha. Sooo bad, I always listen to the one song just for that then press next. (unless your talking about something else then whoa! lol Anyways ya hair equals bad.. but I gotta figure something out.

Thanks guys for the continued support. Much appreciated!

Ollarin
04-03-2005, 03:41 AM
but never bothered to msg, I was toooo tired. I will email you in a few days.
Oh...Not bothered to message me, is it? I see how it is...Sleep is more important than talking to me...I see...I see it all..

Troof
04-03-2005, 03:56 AM
Cool hair styles...sorry for not reading all the posts but is the head supposed to be styalized?? if not i have a crit. I think the head is a little to short lookin from the side.
Other then that it looks great...cant wait till the whole scene

Virtuoso
04-03-2005, 04:08 AM
Hi Michael....In Shag or hair FX there are vectors....What program are you using?Possibly I can help.....let me know.....Until then keep hammering away at it...I'll see you soon...:thumbsup:

Ollarin
04-03-2005, 05:17 AM
Hi Michael....In Shag or hair FX there are vectors....What program are you using?Possibly I can help
He's using Maya's Hair system, and...And...Whathisname...Aha! Paint FX!

altebanger
04-03-2005, 05:34 AM
Just found your thread and WOAH what a concept. :) I will greatly enjoy seeing where you take this keep up the great work.

Geta-Ve
04-06-2005, 03:44 AM
Ray - Thanks for keepin things up around here :p

alte - Thanks man! Ill have to find your thread too :)

virtuoso - im using Maya man, if you can provide help that would rock to the extreme :)

troof - thanks man, ya I dunno about the head proportions either.. :p good thing is thoug I just have to make it look good from the front :D

well im starting on this again I should have an update for you guys a bit later or early tomorrow.. thanks for the support guys!!

Geta-Ve
04-06-2005, 11:37 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5985/5985_1112827038_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5985/5985_1112827038_large.jpg)

Well this is just some skin tests.. Doing some weighting and such. Kinda thought these were cool poses so I am showing them to you.

Also I was doing this so I could properly place the arms, which yes I have finally started. :D

I know I started back a bit late again and I gotta hussle but we will see. I also have a new job starting (factory) 12 hour continental shifts.. soo thats gonna really slow me down.

Thanks guys!

nix0r
04-09-2005, 04:00 AM
Awww, not factory work :( :(. Us 3d people should get 6 goldbars every other week.. :\ Oh well, it's a + that ur making money :), but i'd rather see you work on ur challenge m8 ;). Hoping for updates soon, ur progress is looking V cool :)

Ollarin
04-09-2005, 04:57 AM
Looking good Mike!

God damn it. Try for a job at a studio damnit. Do it now. Now now! :p

TheFirstAngel
04-09-2005, 05:27 AM
ahw.. reading that hurts. hope at least they pay you good enough for spending your time on their productionline... besides, with your talent, you should go hunt a shy species called clients... :P
nice to see you already play aroung with poses. propably think, at the end, you just have to take care of neck head and jaw, for that part and do the rest of the posing with morphtargets, eventually some facail bones but not urgently required,,,
Keep it up my dear friend, heads up and sett it straight! and remember, how shitty a job can be ever, its much more wearable if you have a reason to do it. a vision, a dream. so whenever you feel shitty, remeber, you always have the sun comin back and (i been striking everones nerves when i been factoryworking) sing, whistle, and think yourself nice plans for your time you spend on your machine later. that makes it wearable... keeep it up!!!
... and a dream not worth fighting for is not worth to dream it. rock em all mate!:wip: :buttrock: :wip:

Shaykai
04-10-2005, 05:00 PM
Looking really good so far Geta-va! One thing that has me worried is that if you stay close to the concept and with his expression of pain I think you are going to need a lot more detail in the neck since tendons and veins and stuff should be popping out a little bit. You might be able to do this after you do the final pose though, but i'm not sure since i haven't really rigged anything besides robots :)

Looking awesome though mate! I look forward to your progress!

Shaykai

Geta-Ve
04-12-2005, 02:51 AM
wow.... I did not expect this many responses..

nix0r - Thanks man, ya I agree about that 6 gold bars ;)

ray - Thanks man :) I should but, meh..

angel - well right now the pay is 10 dollars an hour (which is pretty good) but if I stick with it for 6 months I get 18 dollars an hour.. sooo ya.. heh, I gotta keep this damn job.. :/ Your words are inspirational man, I really appreciate the care :) Almost brings a tear to me eye ;)

shay - ya I was thinking that about the neck too, but then I was thinking maybe it will be hidden by shadows? I dunno if I need them later shouldnt be too hard to whip up in ZB or something.

But ya, guys.. I dunno if Ill finish this, its looking grim right now... Well actually what I should say is, Ill finish this definatly but it just might not be in time for the challenge finish date.. this job is really taking alot out of me :(

Thank you for caring so much :) You make me want to work on this right now! but I gotta get up in 8 hours :( I only got 3 hours sleep last night.. oh well I get 2 days off after tomorrow. sooo Hopefully I can devote some time to this then.

Im planing to texture this in ZB since it seems the easiest way. (ya ya im lazy) and hair I still dont know what I want to do, I have been seeing some really good hair "plane" examples that look very nice, so maybe I will go that route.

Anyways, thanks again guys and good luck to all of you on your challenges, I wont be here nearly as frequently as I was previously. sorry :(

Virtuoso
04-12-2005, 04:28 AM
Slip a laptop into those 12 hour shifts......;) .......Good to see you continue Michael....keep working towards your goals,get this to where you have invisioned it to be......i wish you luck as you move forward.......See you as you update.....:arteest:

icedeyes
04-12-2005, 07:17 AM
Very nice work so far Michael... I would go with Sacha's suggestion and hunt down some clients if i were you... You do have a great talent... I suggest you take advantage of it...

suk-grigorij
04-15-2005, 06:36 PM
Interresting ideas.

My M&S thread http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=224891&page=1&pp=20

Don Kayote
04-18-2005, 11:34 AM
You can do it! :thumbsup:

And don't let anything low you down :D Coffee is your friend :beer:

Neeno
04-18-2005, 02:36 PM
:bounce: UPDATE UPDATE :bounce: ......dont get lazy!!

DimitrisLiatsos
04-18-2005, 02:53 PM
:bounce: UPDATE UPDATE :bounce: ......dont get lazy!!

ditto :bounce:

Neeno
04-18-2005, 03:20 PM
oh yeah... geta i forgot man.. you ever used ornatrix.. awesome hair plugin not sure if it works for maya.. i dnt think so .. but maybe you could convert your maya stuff to max to do the hair if you need to .. http://www.ibmr.net/Ornatrix/ theres the link.. its still beta but it works! so hope it helps if it can help...

Geta-Ve
04-20-2005, 07:37 AM
virtuoso - thanks man :) wish I had a laptop ;)

icedeyes - well i tried one.. but they never contacted me back.. soo umm.. 12 hours a day it is ;)

suk - thanks, Ill have to check out your thread!

don - corlione! lol, I wont let anything "low" me down ;) haha, I like *ahem* beer coffee isn't my game :D

neeeeeeennnnoooooo x2 - ill try to update, and see I would use your suggestion but... i dont have max as well.. technically... er.. nevermind.. but ya i dont have max.. all I got is maya an wings.. and and and jk!

dimitris - read above ;) :)

Thanks guys for your fantastic support.. I think im gonna work on this right now.. try to get that arm finished up eh..

thanks guys!

Geta-Ve
04-28-2005, 08:20 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5985/5985_1114672812_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5985/5985_1114672812_large.jpg)

Well.. not really a big update and a long overdue one to be sure.. I did one arm and repositioned a few things..

I really want to finish this, but for some reason it feels like my inspiration just left me.. :/ I don't know how to explain it. Yet I want to just finish it, because like anyone will tell you/me theres just some things in life you gotta do even if you don't like em.

Not to say I don't like this, but you get my drift. I will definatly finish this, but perhaps just no in time for the end of the challenge. but theres still 20 days left so we will see.

Thanks for all your support up to this point it's really been a blessing.

ilusiondigital
04-28-2005, 08:24 AM
He is falling in love, good job and keep posting

Neeno
04-28-2005, 09:57 AM
looking good.... 20 days is enuf.. finnish!! now!!!

good luck man! you'll be ok...oh and geta can i join your cult?!?!

Geta-Ve
04-28-2005, 10:34 AM
of course you can man! ;) thats the beauty of it! anyone can join! :D free for life! (minus the small self sacrifice)

just pm me if you really want and ill link you to the badge, or alternatively just steal it from my avy, either one works really :D

thanks for the confidence guys!

edit: btw neeno i like your new avy, really stands out, very recognizable.. did you make it?

Geta-Ve
04-28-2005, 10:39 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5985/5985_1114724342_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5985/5985_1114724342_large.jpg)

Hey there. Another small update, I have almost finished the other arm. There are still alot of tweaks that I have to do to the cloth.

The shirt is providing to be alot harder that I had expected, I've always seen people like KWAK do folds in cloth and such and never realised how hard it can actually be.

No worries though Im pressing on, taking my time, etc etc.

If you want different views of the wire just tell me, and if you have any crits or comments feel perfectly free to tell me, lord knows I could use em. :)

Thanks guys!

Geta-Ve
04-29-2005, 01:24 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5985/5985_1114734276_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5985/5985_1114734276_large.jpg)

Well here is another small update, worked on the right side of the shirt (HIS right, our left) I think it looks alright, I still want to work on that colar s im not liking it riht now.

As you can see I have semi posed the face, I think we can see things sort of coming together.. I used bones in maya to pose the face, I think Im just gonna tweak it in Wings now to get it like I want. Shouldn't be overly hard.

Also for hair I think Im going to go with patches.. Though Ive never done it that way can anyone give me some tips?

Geta-Ve
04-29-2005, 06:04 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5985/5985_1114751061_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5985/5985_1114751061_large.jpg)

Well another update with teeth and tweaked his face a bit.. I really think theres alot of emotion now.. the teeth definatly helped..

still have to work on the shirt and make the tongue.. Oh and if your wondering why the bottom teeth look weird its because they are a duplicate of the top teeth, I might change them depends if you guys think they are seriously noticable..?

Anyways ya.. Still got the hair to do and the texturing.. :/ then lighting..

Well thats it for now If you guys have any questions just ask :)

Neeno
04-29-2005, 08:27 AM
oh yeah this pose is much better geta.. MUCH better!! because i know when im angry with my girl friend i do that pose alot!! lol love.... LoL.... yeah man i used an Old Ministry of Sound cover for the logo and tweaked it!!! .. glad you like it... i needed an original avatar and i made one ... so know one else has it! yay! lol... but yeah geta i like this pose... and keep it up my friend!! ...

CGTalk Moderation
04-29-2005, 08:27 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.