PDA

View Full Version : Master and Servant 3D Entry: Loren Radis

deadplant155
03-22-2005, 05:55 PM
Loren Radis has entered the Master and Servant 3D.

Challenge Page (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/masterandservant/view_entries.php?challenger=5983)

Latest Update: Concept Sketch: more sketchins...
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5983/5983_1112630106_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5983/5983_1112630106_large.jpg)

ok, and here's one where i'm trying to pin down the character's look. the three heart types along the top, and the two slight variations of the character...(the one on the right was actually just to see if i could draw him in perspective, and i failed to duplicate the face from the first sketch, so it looks like two variations :P). i want his face a little round, less v shaped, but i like the really big eyes and the hairstyle. i think i like the big fat traditional heart, the ugly twisted one isn't very fitting, and the one on the right is supposed to be glass, but i just don't like the idea very much...so here ya go.

deadplant155
03-29-2005, 06:25 PM
<rant>
so, i entered the grand space opera challenge and subsequently did nothing....i am sincerely sorry for that, and i fully intend to redeem myself by putting forth my utmost for this challenge, i am not very good, and thus don't expect to win, place, or recieve an honorable mention or even much notice, but damnit, i'm going to do it anyway. if anyone has constructive criticism, i'd love to hear it, and good luck to all the other participants.
</rant>
k, so my idea is to model a race car driver and his car. not very original, but at least it's not a chic and a snake :p in my mind the driver is the master and car the servant, but maybe the meaning is deeper, the race is the master and both the car and the driver are the servants. anyway, i've gone through a couple of ideas, from frodo and sam (again with the originality) to a hand on a computer mouse (stupid) to a dragon and a knight (overdone) and other such foolish things. so if someone doesn't like this idea, i've no problem rethinking it. i hope to make some sketches sometime this week and have them posted by week's end (i can't draw, so they'll just be for um...fun).

the only other idea i've seriously considered is a figure kneeling at the cross, praying i guess. i don't see my ability being great enough to accomplish this goal however, and i think it's better to know your limits. so that's that....see ya

-loren

tdawg217
03-29-2005, 07:26 PM
i am not very good, and thus don't expect to win, place, or recieve an honorable mention or even much notice, but damnit, i'm going to do it anyway.

tottaly the right attitude to have going into a contest like this.
just do it for yourself and not for anyone else or the prizes or the fame.
as far as the idea goes, i think it is a little bit boring *now* but it could be good if you really expand it and work on a good story behind the image.

the idea with the man praying at the cross could be very good too, but it all depends on how you want to do it.

cant wait to see some concepts

Synthesizer
03-29-2005, 09:01 PM
Hi, I think the race car and driver might work, depending on how you did it. Maybe if you had the driver sitting on his car holding his helmet and looking longningly at the guy who won the race on the podium, with the center of attention on the trophy that he's holding. I dunno, just an idea to get you thinking:) Good luck for whatever idea you choose.

deadplant155
03-29-2005, 09:31 PM
thanks both for the input, i agree that it's not the most interesting idea, but it's the best one i've come up with after like four days of just thinking, it's also the most feasible. it's kinda meaningful to me since my grandpa ronnie bucknum was a racer for honda for a long time, and now my uncle jeff owns a team, and he's in the indy 500 this year, i think that's where i got the idea. i didn't really realize there's supposed to be like a whole story to go along with it...but hopefully i'll be able to make a good effort. thanks again for the encouragement guys, means a lot!

-loren

Synthesizer
03-29-2005, 09:57 PM
I wouldnt think there has to be a very big story to it, but the image should be able to show the master and servant without a written explaination, as that's what the contest is for:)

deadplant155
03-30-2005, 09:40 PM
i had a strange idea last night whilst on the toilet, and i think it's better than any of my semi-interesting ideas so far. i can't help but say that the imagery in my mind was heavily inspired by the main male lead of tim butron's 'corpse bride'. i picture a guy (very stylized, skinny, big eyes) standing on his tiptoes with a heart in his hands (which are stretched as high as he can reach). above him, on a platform is a girl, also very stylized with a big needle in her hand (either in her hand about to pierce the heart, or she's already pierced it and her hand is just up) she's smiling with kind of an evil slant to her eyes and he's got this sad hopeful look on his face. basically, his heart is his master, his most prized possesion, he tries to give it to this girl he loves, effectively making her his master, and she treats him terribly, eventually breaking his heart. one other alternative i thought of today was that she's holding his heart, but it's made of glass, and he's like reaching out cuz she's about to throw it down.

anyway, if no one likes this idea....i'll probably do it anyway to be honest, cuz i'm disliking the others more and more as time goes on, but some constructive criticisms+problem areas anyone sees that i might be missing would be nice.

thanks a lot

-loren

SlomoStds
03-31-2005, 02:03 AM
I like your most recent idea ,the girl with the heart. However in an earlier post you said the man with the cross may be hard for you to do. If it is because of the organic modeling you migth have trouble with the new idea. Also, if ya can get by the organics.. make sure the girl is kinda posed "nose in the air" and maybe glancing off to the side. Dont feel bad, I also entered the space challeng and quit....Im with you this time, Im doing master and servant for myself. Other than that good luck!

My 3D Challenge: http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=224507

tdawg217
03-31-2005, 03:44 AM
i really like the newest idea with the girl breaking the mans heart. . . you could really take this one and go with :)

the stylized cartoonish look you were talking about in the post would work to perfection in this image, and also i really like the idea of having the girl up on the platform, raised above the servant and not making eye contact because she is too . . . . . good for him, or too. . superior to him that she can't even look at him... the man on the other hand should be tottaly in her control and in her hands, pleading with her and asking for mercy just with the pathetic expression on his face

cant wait to see some concepts :thumbsup:

Synthesizer
03-31-2005, 04:11 AM
Hey, I like that idea. It would certainly show the master and servant relationship well. Funny how the idea came to you on the toilet, but whatever works for you:thumbsup:

deadplant155
03-31-2005, 04:23 PM
thanks for stopping by doofus! and thanks for the continued interest even though i haven't produced anything yet. the reason organic modeling would've been a no-no is that for a message so serious, i'd have to do it fairly realistic, which i'm not good at (i've spent a week now just working on a realistic hand, and it's only about 3/4 done.) with this theme, i think more stylized is ok, which is easier in one sense since you don't have to be as perfectionist about it, it's harder too i think because it's easy to go too far with the stylization and wierd people out. it sounds like fun though, so i think this is what i'll go with. i've got some concept sketches, but haven't scanned them yet, so bear with me, when i get a few more i'll scan them one night after work, or maybe on the weekend and i'll have my first mile-stone! yay! thanks again, see you around!

-loren

Juha
04-01-2005, 03:31 AM
hi. your newest idea sounds good , that car thing sounds interesting too, but might be funnier if the car were the master , or an really evil gasoline pump were the master.....
good luck to you.

deadplant155
04-01-2005, 04:08 PM
thanks juha, i appreciate the encouragement, and it's nice to see a familiar avatar :) (assuming that you're the juha from threedy.com as well) best of luck to you!

-loren

deadplant155
04-04-2005, 04:40 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5983/5983_1112629229_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5983/5983_1112629229_large.jpg)

k, here's the first sketch i did right after i got the idea, it's very very quick, just to block out their relative positions and possible poses (i am NOT a sketch artist, please don't tell me this, i already know). i haven't decided yet what the scenery is going to be like, i was thinking just kinda blank....but that's sort of copping out, so i don't know. i'm also not sure if she's about to stab, or if she should already have done the deed...anyway, here it is, for what it's worth...

deadplant155
04-04-2005, 04:55 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5983/5983_1112630106_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5983/5983_1112630106_large.jpg)

ok, and here's one where i'm trying to pin down the character's look. the three heart types along the top, and the two slight variations of the character...(the one on the right was actually just to see if i could draw him in perspective, and i failed to duplicate the face from the first sketch, so it looks like two variations :P). i want his face a little round, less v shaped, but i like the really big eyes and the hairstyle. i think i like the big fat traditional heart, the ugly twisted one isn't very fitting, and the one on the right is supposed to be glass, but i just don't like the idea very much...so here ya go.

tdawg217
04-04-2005, 10:02 PM
im glad to see you got some concepts online. i really like your ideas, and i also really like your concepts of the boy.

as far as your second image, i prefer the heart in the middle, and the boy to the right, to the other versions.

keep it coming:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
04-04-2005, 10:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.