PDA

View Full Version : simple black & white

MEGALO
09-24-2002, 04:56 PM
In photoshop 5.5, how do I export a color picture black & white?

jeroentje
09-24-2002, 07:03 PM
image->mode->grayscale.

Do it in a copy of the original before you accidentally hit "save" and loose the color version.

Beware: grayscale jpegs don't show up in internet browsers.

jeroentje

ShwayMan
09-24-2002, 10:19 PM
You could also use image->adjust->desaturate. Since it's not really grayscale, wouldn't those show up in internet browers?

jeroentje
09-25-2002, 05:37 AM
yes offcourse, or convert it to grays and than back to rgb again ;)

Marcel
09-25-2002, 09:32 AM
Another method:

Convert to lab color
Select Lightness channel
Duplicate Lightness channel into a new document
Convert this document to grayscale

The difference is not big, but converting this way results in a somewhat better conversion to grayscale (especially with flesh tones).

Grayscale images do show up in the browser (at least in mine :) ), and they are smaller too. CMYK images certainly do not show up in the browser..

frog
09-25-2002, 10:01 AM
Another method, and one which allows you to do a lot of fine tuning, is to go to Image --> Adjust --> Channel Mixer and select the "monochrome" option. This way you can really spend hours balancing how the individual channels contribute to the final grayscale.

jeroentje
09-25-2002, 10:26 AM
My mistake ;)
J

Originally posted by Marcel
Grayscale images do show up in the browser (at least in mine :) ), and they are smaller too. CMYK images certainly do not show up in the browser..

Stroker
09-25-2002, 11:51 AM
My favorite method:

1) Add a Curves Adjustment Layer and leave it alone.
2) Add an HSB Ad-Layer and bring Sat all the way down.
3) Go back to Curves Ad-Layer and play with individual channels to manual adjust contrast.

Great trick. Works wonders for converting fleshtones to greyscale.

MEGALO
09-25-2002, 04:57 PM
Thanks guys. That helped out alot!

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.