PDA

View Full Version : Still: End Pack Shot For TVC

funnydoodle
09-24-2002, 04:54 PM
This is an end pack shot we (3 of us) did for a TVC - college assignment actually. Supposed to create photorealistic , totally CG still frame. Comments are welcomed... :)

kassinopious
09-24-2002, 08:02 PM
hehe i like the concept, although i dont see how a snail with a house on its back is "photorealistic".

still , good job :)

funnydoodle
09-25-2002, 12:54 AM
yeahi get what u meant.... the point is, to get it look photorealistic altho it's not logic. that's the purpose of doing ads in 3D which is doing the impossible, if i can shoot it with a camera then why do it in 3D? agree? so the objective here is to get it look real.....

sorry for the low quality pic.....

WiltedEnds
09-25-2002, 01:04 AM
photorealistic 3d has very little to do with the boundaries of what is out there..its more focused upon wether or not the image is believable...i like this a whole lot..good job :)

PureFire
09-25-2002, 04:28 AM
the quality of the pic takes away some of the realism...but the snail's texture is nice

Amalinde
09-25-2002, 04:57 AM
it doesnt look photorealistic to me at all, but maybe its just the low pic quality.

funnydoodle
09-25-2002, 05:35 AM
yeah..... i guess the quality of the pic does play a big role in photorealism...... thanx to all who gave their comments anyway.... alot ppl liked the snail/slug.....

E.Z. Schwartz
09-25-2002, 03:59 PM
Photorealism isn't all about rendering, but also about the things you're rendering looking real. In your pic, the ground looks way to computery, and things in the house, like the way the roof and base meet the house look very fake. A GI render with some noise isn't enough to make something look real (not saying that's what you did), but you need to work more on your models for it to fool anyone into thinking it's a real photograph. The slug looks good though, but the rest not as much.

Ezra

Stimpy
09-25-2002, 05:00 PM
besides changing the texture on the ground i would suggest to work on the lighting... the light seems to come from straight above right now...

this is quite confusing, since for example i had a hard time figuring out what the black square on the ground was supposed to be. turned out its the shadow of the roof. also, since the light comes from straight above, the snail doesnt look grounded at all to me.

also the head seems to blend in with the body due to a lack of contrast between the two.

try to play with the lights, and maybe change them to area lights as well. always helps with realism

sunny
09-25-2002, 06:37 PM
ez: things in the house? u can't see inside the house can u? there's not even a window! yeah... still not satisfied with the models except for the slug.....

Stimpy: lighting yeah..... but the light ain't comin from the direct above, i move it slightly off to the side.... this is to show the time of the day.... and to show the hot weather against the paint on the house..... btw, the slugs head and body are supposed to be like dat..... there shouldn't be a neck or anothing lol....

funnydoodle
09-25-2002, 06:42 PM
don't get confused guys... i forgot to log out my fren's username (sunny) so i posted as him...... my apologies

E.Z. Schwartz
09-25-2002, 07:06 PM
I didn't mean things inside the house, I meant the house model itself, like the way things meet eachother. There is nothing there, just two shapes intersecting sharply. I was just saying that doesn't look too real.

Ezra

p.s. Nice avitar Stimpy!

Stimpy
09-25-2002, 07:49 PM
by contrast i meant, that the both of the right tentacles or whatever you call them of your slug are very hard to make out. maybe another camera angle would help this thing....

still i think your lighting makes this picture VERY hard to read

lol @ E.Z. Schwartz..... nice buns. ;)

piajartist
10-02-2002, 07:48 AM
its not very photorealistic but the slug itself is good or should i say snail with a house. THe trail in the back is off, too thick in the front then falls off to fast, shore more on the ground. And the grounds texture is too plain and repeating and too un-natural

the good news is::thumbsup:

piajartist
10-02-2002, 07:50 AM
i need a freaggin spell check!:wip:

funnydoodle
10-02-2002, 05:51 PM
thanx for the comments again...... will try to improve on this piece altho it's already history..... thanx

Jason-Kane
10-08-2002, 09:55 PM
The concept is original.

However, the lighting really needs some work. If I had to choose one thing for you to work on it would be your 3D lighting skills. The key to "believability" lies in the lighting.

You might want to read Digital Lighting and rendering by Jeremy Birn.

funnydoodle
10-09-2002, 02:56 AM
cool n thanx... i'll look up on it......

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.