PDA

View Full Version : Master and Servant 2D Entry: Lane Daughtry

lanedaughtry
03-22-2005, 02:54 PM
Lane Daughtry has entered the Master and Servant 2D.

Challenge Page (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/masterandservant/view_entries.php?challenger=5917)

Latest Update: Concept Sketch: The Grand Circus - Platform characters...
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5917/5917_1112478001_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5917/5917_1112478001_large.jpg)

This is the posing for the characters that are on the platforms held up by Life and Death.

Figured I'd throw this up so people wouldn't think I'd died or ran off ;)

It was a very busy week for me and I had little time to work on this unfortunately.

The rest of the weekend should prove fruitful though and the next thing you guys should see out of me is a line drawing of the entire image.

-L

MDN67
03-22-2005, 02:54 PM
welcome and good luck:thumbsup:

NOOB!
03-22-2005, 02:55 PM
good luck!

lanedaughtry
03-22-2005, 02:55 PM
This one holds far too much personal interest for me to not enter.

I look forward to being tromped on by all of you :)

More on my piece when I flesh it out a bit more cohesively...

-L

lanedaughtry
03-26-2005, 04:51 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5917/5917_1111812678_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5917/5917_1111812678_large.jpg)

I decided to take this theme as it pertains to the human condition on a broad scope. There are so many things in this lifetime that we can be either the master or servant of and really, in truth, we are usually a bit of each. The master and servant dynamic is rarely that polar in real life.

I made this image to represent what I thought were very important diametric opposites in my life, their interplay with one another and their founding in other larger, broader interplays of values and themes.

Life and Death.

Good and Evil.

Man and Woman.

Joy and Sorrow.

Pleasure and Pain.

Religion and Politics.

And me in the middle of this circus not know which way to go and never really being in control of any of it.

How's that for dramatic ;)

-L

lanedaughtry
03-26-2005, 04:54 AM
Oh my god do I have a ton of character concept work to do now.

This was my initial blocking test. I am going to lower the character sitting on the swing and I might lose the wings. I love the mood that wings add to a piece but I haven't decided if I like them in this piece yet.

I'll post an update pic with the explanations of what is what here soon as I'm sure my scribblings look like hieroglyphics to everyone else.

-L

MoodyDog
03-26-2005, 06:10 AM
I really like your concept and also the composition, seems like a circus of life!
Hope we will see it in coloring soon... go on!! Master!!!

lanedaughtry
03-26-2005, 02:50 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5917/5917_1111848644_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5917/5917_1111848644_large.jpg)

This is just a small update to show the layout of what characters are going to represent what.

The two on the left and right that have arrows aren't really present in this image but they are going to be smaller characters doing contact acrobalancing work.

And for the record, while I love working on my big art pad for blocking these out, man does scanning in an 18 x 24 image blow.

More this week as I knock the individual character concepts out and integrate everything into the whole.

-L

Brownboot
03-26-2005, 03:06 PM
Looks really swanky, all crazy gothic cieling fresco-esque. Can't wait to see this all worked out. Two thumbs up.

paperclip
03-26-2005, 03:55 PM
Wow. Great concept and I can't wait to see how you resolve this. Are they going to be in a pool of light or outside or something? You'll have your work cut out figuring out a good value composition!!

Good luck to you!

lanedaughtry
03-28-2005, 12:10 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5917/5917_1111968643_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5917/5917_1111968643_large.jpg)

At this point in the process I'm still roughing out my poses to make sure that the body language is converying what I want to. The facial details will come later and I will most likely use some photo reference to nail the fell of those as ultimately thats what I'm relying on to convey the more emotionally based themes.

A bit of the costume design is coming through here though I will devote another concept to those later to more fully flesh them out.

The thought here is that Pleasure's costume reflects good feeling things while Pains reflects, well, painful things. Feathers and silk rope for one, supsension hooks and barbed wire for the other. The chains that Pain will be suspended from are supposed to be attached to a harness that Pleasure wears. Not sure how I'm going to realize that one quite yet, though I'll attack it in the costume concepts I do.

Joy and Sorrow will be next and they will be in a similar posing on the left platform being held up by Life.

-L

Gord-MacDonald
03-28-2005, 08:15 AM
Wow, you've developing a very complex allegory. I am looking forward to seeing it develop. Good luck!

Gord

FortUno
03-28-2005, 04:13 PM
Amazing concept work! I love the ideas and the layout of your piece. I can't wait to see it develop further. I hope the finished piece will be in a nice high resolution because I already know I want it on my desktop background. :bowdown:

ace4016
03-29-2005, 01:10 AM
Wow, your conmcept is very different from most entries ive seen. Looks like it will be an interesting image. So fr everything looks great, I really like the expressions on pleasure and pain (and the hooks in pain). I can't wait to see what's next:bounce: .

alex.h.
03-29-2005, 01:24 AM
great concept, loking foreward for more, see you and :thumbsup:

JakubFromOz
03-29-2005, 03:32 AM
Awsome concept mate, i could really see that as a poster on my wall :D cant wait to see what you do wit ur colors

grf
03-29-2005, 04:43 AM
Interesting. I'd suggest doing something different with the leg that's extending to the corner of the composition. It's sort of creating an odd tangent with the corner, drawing too much attention.

Kind of gut wrenching to think about, but I dig to hooks.

CreativeKid84
03-29-2005, 04:52 AM
great concept i love the balance of the piece and how you put symmetry you have is really good

grf
03-29-2005, 05:47 AM
"Thanks man,That image is a smaller concept for the right hand platform on the larger picture. Good luck with your image. I like the second concept best. -L"

Ah, I see. My bad. Very Cool. Lots of detail. Got your work cut out for ya.

RF

CoreyArtE
03-29-2005, 06:37 AM
Wow thats interesting man! Keep it up!

nebezial
03-29-2005, 10:32 AM
Signature is a great thing, without it i could have missed this. This work has seeerious potential. i see tha u also like to take your time with sketching, but that way the best results are made:thumbsup:

AlyFell
03-29-2005, 12:16 PM
I agree with Nebezial, this is looking very interesting! It's got a kind of Kabbalistic feel to it... if you know what I mean! :)

R-K
03-29-2005, 12:58 PM
looks interesting thus far, will be watching this thread

tilite
03-29-2005, 01:10 PM
just two simple words

!!!:bounce: CAN'T WAIT:bounce: !!!

lanedaughtry
03-29-2005, 02:27 PM
Quick thanks to all of you that have replied :D

I'm a huge fan of the work a lot of you are doing. I gotta run out the door at the moment but I'll be back with another concept and some pointed thanks this evening.

TOTHEBATMOBILE!!!

-L

Gamoron
03-30-2005, 03:28 PM
You have your work cut out for you Lane. You've bitten off a big piece! I like the Cirque de Soleil theme you have going. Are you going to use any of the Cirque's costume designs for inspiration? This is standing out a lot on its own because of the originality of the concept.
:beer:

lanedaughtry
03-30-2005, 05:41 PM
Gamaron : Funny you should mention it... I'm definitely going in a Cirque du Soleil direction with my costumes. They tend to have a whimsy to most of their costumes though that I'm going to try and replace with a i bit of macabre. Sort of a goth/industrial french circus if you will ;) We'll see though, the costume ideas are still bouncing around in my head as I get all this posing work done.

Nebezial : Yeah, I probably even over sketch before hand on a piece like this. That being said though with something that the posing and composition of is as important to selling the theme of the piece as this one I take a lot of time nailing that.

R Frederickson : No prob, I've done that with a lot of the recent pics in challenges too so far.

Everyone else : Thanks. Here's hoping I finish ;) Its always easier with encouragement though so heres looking forward to getting this thing done. I'm very excited about the piece.

-L

tilite
03-31-2005, 03:01 AM
u really have cut off urself a big task... if u get it done to the standard u want i think we will have a beautiful piece of art on our hands

francis001
03-31-2005, 03:17 AM
This is shaping up to be a nice piece. I like the concept sketch which has the ring and more characters - will you be using that as the basis for the final painting? The one you just posted with just the two characters is nice, but the design of your other one seems a lot more interesting to me. That more complex one has greater value in terms of different interpretations of it too.

Looking forward to seeing this one done.

Jezzarts
03-31-2005, 07:03 AM
Nice one, looks like you've really thought about this. A trully original concept... will wait to see more ; )

tilite
04-01-2005, 02:09 PM
move it or loose it, as the saying goes.

we need an update lane

lanedaughtry
04-02-2005, 09:40 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5917/5917_1112478001_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5917/5917_1112478001_large.jpg)

This is the posing for the characters that are on the platforms held up by Life and Death.

Figured I'd throw this up so people wouldn't think I'd died or ran off ;)

It was a very busy week for me and I had little time to work on this unfortunately.

The rest of the weekend should prove fruitful though and the next thing you guys should see out of me is a line drawing of the entire image.

-L

Aidenn
04-02-2005, 11:56 PM
Uncanny idea, I like it. Can't wait for more. :)

tilite
04-03-2005, 10:23 AM
good to see u back with us... cant wait to see the progress for ur weekend

great human forms

tilite
04-13-2005, 08:35 AM
hey man... u still around??

lanedaughtry
04-15-2005, 02:54 PM
I'm still here.

Its always when I find a personal project that I like that I seem to get swamped with paying work. No time for this in the next couple of weeks which puts me dangerously close to the deadline.

Here's hoping I finish it in time for judging, if not I'll just have to submit it as 2D entry later.

Thanks for the feedback and support so far.

-L

CGTalk Moderation
04-15-2005, 02:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.