PDA

View Full Version : Master and Servant 2D Entry: Linda Bergkvist

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Enayla
03-22-2005, 09:13 AM
Linda Bergkvist has entered the Master and Servant 2D.

Challenge Page (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/masterandservant/view_entries.php?challenger=5833)

Latest Update: Final Image: Spoiled
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5833/5833_1116197458_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5833/5833_1116197458_large.jpg)

At times, Nature is the master of Humanity... and at other times, Humanity certainly rules Nature.

Nature makes us hurry inside when she weeps rain upon the world. With hurricanes, she toys with us. Tornadoes are used to punish, earthquakes to throw us about like pebbles in a child's game. We live on her land, and through that, she rules over us. Our very bodies belong to her - they age in rhythm with her, and they are subject to urges and desires that she imposes on us. In some ways, we're little but slaves to Nature's ways.

But Humanity... on the other hand... has found another way to dominate. Humanity destroys what we touch. We reach out towards pretty things in greed, and leave a trail of death behind. We fence the woods in, we run over the animals and poison the seas. Ours is a different kind of mastery but it is one nevertheless. Nature serves us because she has no other choice. Humanity always expects Nature to mend what damage we've done: heal the woods burned down, return the animals hunted to extinction and cleanse the seas... never considering what will happen the day Nature is no longer there to catch us.

In this piece, I tried to show this relationship. Humanity a naïve yet destructive burden, the smile on her lips slight and dreamy as she thinks of the beautiful flowers she will pluck and the lovely birds she will see while all around her these very things now fade away. She's blind to the destruction she causes. She knows that Nature will be there for her, she knows that there will always be the scent of flowers and always the gentle surge of the sea. She is Nature's master in that Nature has no choice but to try to catch her and always try to mend the damage she has done... but she is Nature's slave because she must breathe the air, drink the water and eat the food that only Nature can give her.

I didn't want a conventional take on the Master and Servant theme. I wanted one that I felt would be meaningful for me. Those who have followed the progress know that I've put thought into pretty much every little symbol - there's a reason to why there is a peach tree in the background (peach symbolising femininity in many cultures), there's a reason to why I flipped the picture around (wanting the destruction to move in a clockwise motion) and the colours are almost exactly the same as I laid them out in the beginning, wanting the warm, rich colours to symbolise the life that's being taken away. I chose two women to represent humanity and nature because a man and a woman would only lend a conventional, romantic aspect to the image... and I've always imagined Nature a feminine quality.

That's it. Thank you for your time, thank you everyone for the help. Finally I'll be able to get some sleep.

AlyFell
03-22-2005, 09:15 AM
Heh heh! Good luck Linda, subscribing to keep an eye on stuff! :)

Fahrija
Hi linda,

no surprise to see you here. I´m looking forward to watch your thread.

fahrija

sketchfiend
Wow Linda, Great to see you entering the comp. love your work and i cant wait to see what you come up with. All the best.:thumbsup: :buttrock:

Squibbit
03-22-2005, 09:16 AM
have fun with the new boxx workstation !

Kyena
03-22-2005, 09:17 AM
hahah Squibbit,

Good luck Linda - however I don't think you really need it :)
I'll be drooling over your thread every now and then and am sure it will be a great inspiration.

Enayla
03-22-2005, 09:18 AM
Hi guys :D

And thanks for the welcome!

I already know pretty much exactly what to do. Inspiration hit me sometime late last night and I decided I'd have to join. It'll be a while before I can submit any actual work though, but we'll see, I'll get there. Maybe a sketch after the weekend :]

My theme will be nature-oriented, rather spiritual, not at all as dark and gloomy as most things I paint. I wavered in between a more classical whipped-person theme and then settled on doing something where it'll be a little difficult to know just who is the master, and who is the servant.

Kirt
03-22-2005, 09:24 AM
Oh nooooooeeeesss!!! We're all doomed! :argh:

LOL ... Good luck Linda! I'm really looking forward to seeing what you come up with. This one is going to be good. :D

ms@zx
03-22-2005, 09:25 AM
agreed with kirt~!lol:scream:
i'm gonna keep an eye on ur thread,will be learning alot from u.
good luck linda:)

Art2
03-22-2005, 09:26 AM
All hail to the subscribe button!

Spiritual, nature oriented, sounds very good and original to me. I'm curious where this will lead you. Good Luck an take it easy with the HAND.

Mysterious X
03-22-2005, 09:34 AM
thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you for enrolling in this competition..you fulfilled my wish :eek: wish you all the best !

element5
03-22-2005, 09:41 AM
I know there will be inspiational work going on here Linda, I am hoping to learn some new skills from you... :arteest:

MDN67
03-22-2005, 09:41 AM
Welcome and good luck linda:thumbsup:

ace4016
03-22-2005, 09:44 AM
Good luck. From seeing your past work it looks like I'll be in for treat.

PatternRecognition
03-22-2005, 09:47 AM
Yes, Kirt, we're all doomed! rofl!

Good luck, Linda! Even if you might not need it : ))

kalemna
03-22-2005, 09:49 AM
have fun linda and goOd luck :)

Enayla
03-22-2005, 10:05 AM
Aw, thanks guys :}

I'm thinking:

colour scheme:
http://www.furiae.com/images/masterservant/colours.jpg
Very temporary. Very subject to change.

possible mask design:
http://www.furiae.com/images/masterservant/mask.jpg
(nevermind crappy photo, I designed the mask itself a few months back, I love the curve to it. Sort of owlish but lacking the feathers, and at the same time graceful and noble, if you will. It might work if I decide to go with a mask for one of the characters. I'll take more reference photos of it.

character sketch:
http://www.furiae.com/images/masterservant/charactersketch.jpg
turned out a little murky, I'll have to spice the colours up. The more I'm thinking about it, the more I'm liking the concept of the mask. I had an initial idea of hair like a waterfall, but I don't think I want to bring strong blue into the image. Maybe dark, frothy hair, in that case, like a rivulet bouncing down a mountain late at night. We'll see.

On another note, I never do line drawings... that in itself will be a challenge. How am I supposed to be able to sketch without colours? :/ They're the first thing I'm thinking about when I do a painting.

monsitj
03-22-2005, 10:10 AM
wow! you are my favourite artist ,and I'm happy to follow you progress,it will be the greatest lesson for me , please update frequently!!

mack72
03-22-2005, 10:22 AM
Welcolme, and good luck!

Can't wait to see some stuff!

Mack

NinjaA55N
03-22-2005, 10:34 AM
Ah yes... u should enter the challenge a day or two before deadline, so that we mortals would have still the will to finish our pieces..
But! Be prepared, coz i have a book of urs (d'artiste) and now i know all the secrets.. bwahaha... oh, poor me :cry:

Its a joke :) I wish u all the best and cant wait to see ur final masterpiece! Im really looking for any of ur submissions so post regularely please.

MDN67
03-22-2005, 10:52 AM
the ambiant of your first shetch is good, i wait the next:thumbsup:

Enayla
03-22-2005, 10:52 AM
The concept:

Mankind's relationship with nature itself - that of the world being slave to humanity's needs, and humanity being subject to nature's whims. One cannot have either without the other and while humans have a tendency of looking and using all things as if they were created for them, and them alone, there are always repercussions to such arrogant assumptions.

Nature will be represented by a fey, graceful, beautiful creature with skin of spun silk and garments of leaves and branches and sunlight. Her/his face will have that elf-like beauty that seems almost surreal, warm and cold all at once. I'm considering covering the upper part of the face with a royal-looking type of mask, adding to the ethereal appearance of the character, and the hair (which is likely to be water-like) will be adorned with long stems of flowers reaching up towards the sky. S/he is to look kind and vicious all at once, however I am to pull that off. An expression in the eyes that will be difficult to judge as either complacent or dominant.

Humanity will be represented by a younger boy or girl, perhaps early or mid teens, freckled and fresh looking, with an impetuous, almost childish expression and demeanour. Though I am considering to make the human kneel before nature, there will be a look in the eyes that speaks of an urge to conquer and own and devour.

Around them, I'm thinking an environment beaten down by the battle and story of surrender-dominance between humanity and nature kind. While the nature spirit will look fresh and strong and warm, the nature surrounding it will be rotting and dying - giving a hint of the end result of this battle.

This is the concept thus far. The idea is so strong in my head it's jumping and bouncing and leaping - I just can't wait to get to it. I have to sit down and continue writing on my book now though, so I'll try not to post more updates until tomorrow at the earliest, perhaps with a couple of quick character sketches, or perhaps just with more thoughts on the subject itself.

NOOB!
03-22-2005, 10:55 AM
wow got it all planned already.

good luck!

elmasfeo
03-22-2005, 11:15 AM
wow, this one's going to be awesome! *subscribes to the thread*
is it the first challenge you enter?
I'm already learning... making a colour scheme looks like a very good idea!

Xillion
03-22-2005, 11:21 AM
and the winner is... :love:

ps.: good luck Linda!!!

Enayla
03-22-2005, 11:27 AM
Aw, thank you :D I'm so excited about this! It's going to be so much fun.

And, yeah, it's the first challenge I enter. None of the previous topics have been my 'thing' (Space Operas and Machine Flesh, not really my kind of fun), but this one is really right up my alley. Character based and giving me room to work a little story into it.

Oh - making a colour scheme, even if it's only temporary, is really inspiring I think. Colours have a lot to say about emotions and theme, and I sometimes come up with ideas from just looking at the colours I picked. (In this case, for example, I have now realised that I will emphasise how deadly nature is to man, and man to nature, because I took a look at the red blotch in the colour scheme and thought it would be very fitting).

I don't always do it and sometimes I change it around wildly at the last minute, but they tend to help me a lot :]

Fahrija
03-22-2005, 11:36 AM
I didn´t know that you are soooo fast. Crazy!:eek:

sketchfiend
03-22-2005, 11:52 AM
Im really looking forward to seeing more, the story youre telling sounds so great already and i think that will be a huge benefit in getting your creativity flowing. Im still worried about commiting to something too early but with the time frame we have to work to its best to get something worked out asap and just do it.:thumbsup: :buttrock: good stuff.

bRyaN2003
03-22-2005, 12:21 PM
Linda, i haven't spoken to you in like 2 years...on your baords...

But i always said you are a creative force to be reckoned with...

Best of luck...

pongball
03-22-2005, 12:26 PM
Oh my lord. Is this the infamous Enayla i've been told about? Your work is perfect though? That's not fair for competitors like me, im just a noob :sad: .

I've seen your work. Someone told me you're unreal. I believed them after seeing your work. Good luck!

tlggungor
03-22-2005, 12:43 PM
Good Luck.:thumbsup:

Wussie
03-22-2005, 12:46 PM
Looking good Linda; i'm no match for that probably :D
Keep up the good work!

mack72
03-22-2005, 12:46 PM
Very nice indeed! Love the mask stuff. Looking forward to seeing the next few steps!

coldfront
03-22-2005, 12:47 PM
good luck Linda. looking forward to see your work! =)

Kyena
03-22-2005, 12:54 PM
Even that mask sketching looks awesome - so totally inspiring :)

Hexodam
03-22-2005, 12:59 PM
holy crap, your linda bergkvist! never connected the two, just thought you were the cat lady from the daily sketches :D
So far looking veeery promising:thumbsup:

conundrum
03-22-2005, 01:10 PM
it should be great learning experience to watch your progress, thanks for entering and good luck. certainly looks great so far

RBancone
03-22-2005, 01:13 PM
oh my god..:eek: great!!!no chances for me...:cry:

lanedaughtry
03-22-2005, 02:03 PM
Good luck seems a little out of place here ;)

Look forward to the work and having my ass handed to me in general on this one.

-L

coCoKNIght
03-22-2005, 02:09 PM
RED ALERT

An unbeatable artist with godly powers has joined the challenge!

RED ALERT

All participants: abort immediatly! I repeat abort immediatly!

http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/grin.gif

this is gonna be soo coool! http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

ANARKY
03-22-2005, 02:57 PM
Oooooooooooooh, I cant wait to see what you do for this!
If your ladies of London is anything to go by!

Love your site by the way. Excellent work!

Good luck!

AirbORn
03-22-2005, 03:14 PM
Hey Linda.

Great to see you participating in the challenge. Hope to see some concepts soon, and it is great to hear that you already know what you are going to produce. Take care! :)

Velinov
03-22-2005, 03:15 PM
Good luck from me too. It seems that this chalange will be very intyeresting...

MY "Master and servant" thread (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=221933)

www.velinov.com (http://www.velinov.com/)

kira-hime
03-22-2005, 03:16 PM
Have to post I guess to subscribe ^_^

Can't wait to see your work, enayla! Hope you enjoy that new boxx ^.-

Mysterious X
03-22-2005, 03:16 PM
I just realized something..Linda is like Pixar..everyone loves her !

Kirt
03-22-2005, 03:31 PM
Linda - Just make sure you submit all your images through the CGNetwork server.

Click here to submit an image (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/masterandservant/submit_entry.php)

Judges will not view all your images in this thread. They'll look on your challenge entry page.

JasonChan
03-22-2005, 03:52 PM
Oh crap we're all going to lose! Just kidding... well not really :shrug:

No seriously, I'm a HUGE fan or your work and I'm very scared and happy to see you in this competition :D

Can't wait to see what you create.

Ilikesoup
03-22-2005, 03:59 PM
Yay! It will be wonderful to see your process from start to finish.

eparts
03-22-2005, 04:06 PM
Tjena Linda :)
Vad kul att se dig i challengen, men som ochså betyder en stor rival!! ;) ;) wow.
Jag är verkligen fan av dig och din konst, och som jag redan ser är du godt igång!

Jag skal ha koll på den här tråden, hoppas du vil titta innom min post (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=222172) nån gong ochså :deal: Du är hemskt duktig och har en inspirerande stil.

egil

flyingP
03-22-2005, 04:13 PM
very glad your in here Linda, have been enjoying the stuff you have been adding to the daily sketches too

teknotek83
03-22-2005, 04:46 PM
good luck you goddess of art!!

MetasynMan
03-22-2005, 06:47 PM
Uh oh... guess your hand's feeling better. j/k I really enjoy seeing you work and can't wait to see your thought process unfold for this one. Good luck in the challenge!

Nehym
03-22-2005, 06:52 PM
As everyone else that have already replied, looking forward to what you will come up with. :) Will be watching your thread closely. :)

flaeticia
03-22-2005, 06:53 PM
Good Luck Linda :thumbsup:

Ichthus
03-22-2005, 07:00 PM
Whoa, I am a huge fan of yours. Good luck to you.Cant wait to see what you'll come up with for the challenge

W-I-L
03-22-2005, 07:27 PM
got our work cut out against the likes of u... have fun!

levin
03-22-2005, 08:38 PM
after not being able to draw for weeks i'm almost sure she would do something extra wicked!!!

no need to subscribe... i guess this one'll be bumped every hour

eagerly watching this

cgnime
03-22-2005, 08:50 PM
:) good luck!

Virtuoso
03-22-2005, 09:12 PM
Hi Linda........I look forward to seeing you perform some magic here........I hope the creative Gods give you all the power to get your vision up as you dream it.......I know they will.......I love the concept/idea,and look forward to seeing it come full circle.......Best to you and have fun as you go along......:arteest:

paulwdavidson
03-22-2005, 09:43 PM
So much thought into your concept already..............that means business from you, so we'd all better be on our best game

Good luck

Paul

Enayla
03-22-2005, 10:15 PM
-- cue twilight zone music

I just can't stop thinking about the image! It's nuts!

I just read through this thread - you guys and girls are so sweet. The encouragement really means more to me than I think you realise. :] I'm such a chicken shit, I barely dared to submit anything to this to begin with, so I'm thrilled to see that I'm so welcome. This isn't just the first CGchallenge I joined in on. It's the first art contest ever, it's really freaking me out D:

Anyway, as to the picture... I'm off and on regarding the mask. I really can't decide. I've done a few more character sketches of her, and the mask has a niftiness factor, as well as the fact that I like the thought of nature hiding behind a mask... However, and this is actually a big issue, emotion isn't so easy to show when the eyes are under a shadow. Maybe that'll be a new challenge for me. Get her attitude and feeling across without showing the gaze.

I did a sketch, now. The colour scheme is a little bit more greenish and colder than I want it to be in the end, but this is pretty much it. I've got the human girl's pose down exactly like I want it, it's the other lady I -really- need to work on. However, I suppose the line art sketch would have to be next - that'll be an obstacle in itself. I HATE line art. I am awful when painting without colours, sigh. It's so uninspiring. I can't remember when I last sketched without colour.

http://www.furiae.com/images/masterservant/sketch.jpg

The nature spirit's dress will be... patterned with flowers and birds that become 'real' here and there, so they'll be surrounded by blossoms and butterflies and such cute things, all of which seem to rot and fall apart where they touch the human. The human's submissiveness is very deceptive. That's the whole point :}

Oh well, onto more thinking....

Enayla
03-22-2005, 10:18 PM
Heheh, and you guys have SO jinxed me, I'm sure. I'll never manage to finish this competition, I just know it <3

Enayla
03-22-2005, 10:21 PM
Drat, I'm not liking the fact that it updates the way it does -___- does anyone know if there's a way to delete submitted sketches and milestones? I've messed this up a little. Ah well.

MattDixon
03-22-2005, 10:24 PM
I don't think the line art stage has to be line art, Linda. I'm sure a basic underpainting or value study would be OK, as long as it's the first stage in your final piece. ( At least, I hope that's the case - I'm not comfortable with lines either! )

Looks great. Very interesting to see some of your process and read your thoughts on this...

Onsloh
03-22-2005, 10:51 PM
Beautiful already.a dream in the making me thinks.:)

sketchfiend
03-22-2005, 10:52 PM
Linda, dont stress out, just do what you do best and im sure the end result will be fantastic, as always. Im sure that after this challenge we will see you in many more. Its almost an addiction and im sure most of the guys here would agree in that in doing these challenges, even if you dont make it through or youre not necessarily happy with what youve created. Youve still met some great people and learnt more and improved your skills along the way. Its a win, win situation even if you dont see a prize at the end. Although dont get me wrong the prize would be sweet. Keep it up.:thumbsup:

pongball
03-22-2005, 11:18 PM
This last sketch you just did (im talking to you Linda) would blow away my final piece. I don't think there's point in me participating now :sad: . I'm serious, it's making me sad.

DyslexicDan
03-23-2005, 12:07 AM
Well the point of the milestones is to show that you’re active. So as long as you have something under line are concept sketch then its ok. Also I don’t believe you have to submit them in any particular order.

Pongball don’t worry too much. The heart of challenge is to push the artist beyond their current skill level not to pit them agents each other. So go ahead and participate because we are being given a unique opportunity to have all of these talented artistes ready at hand to give constructive criticism and help us out. It is an opportunity to learn and expand our talents. Alright I think I went over the top with the touchy feely mumbo-jumbo. :D

JasonChan
03-23-2005, 12:46 AM
Don't worry, you don't have to force yourself to use line art. it isn't really required. Just call your beginning paint strokes your lineart. Daryl Mandrake doesn't use line art and he won the past two challenges.

About you being worried about this being your first contest... You have nothing to worry about. You have all of the rest of us quivering in fear.

Excellent start to what I know will be an amazing piece. I guess you'll have to rely more on mouth and body language to convey the non-human character's emotions? Maybe you could do it through the treatment of her hair, and perhaps the colors? Just a thought.

Ichthus
03-23-2005, 12:52 AM
I humbly bow down to you. I'm not worthy.

"When you see it, see it all right away. when you begin to think, you miss it."
I believe Dogo was looking at a work like yours when he said this.

paperclip
03-23-2005, 01:02 AM
Linda..... I hope you have room for some prizes in your front room! I'm not in the competition to win it at all, I just wanted to be in it for the community spirit and hopefully to learn something from it and I definitely am, I can look at everyone elses' threads and see how they work. Your work has caught my attention from the beginning so I am happy to be able to see how you think & the way in which you go about things. It's always fun learning from people who've been there, done that.
Good luck to you!
If you have any time, feel free to swing around my thread and give me tips :D

TheFirstAngel
03-23-2005, 01:13 AM
Great first step. Looking forward to this with excitement and hope you have the same fun like i do.
Best luck and enjoy the trip, rock em all! :thumbsup:

ace4016
03-23-2005, 01:13 AM
I think yo have yourself a wonderful concept, and I can't wait too see more. This is my first ever art contest too. I never got to explore any art as a kid.

Anyway, as to the picture... I'm off and on regarding the mask. I really can't decide. I've done a few more character sketches of her, and the mask has a niftiness factor, as well as the fact that I like the thought of nature hiding behind a mask... However, and this is actually a big issue, emotion isn't so easy to show when the eyes are under a shadow. Maybe that'll be a new challenge for me. Get her attitude and feeling across without showing the gaze.

I just had an idea about this. I remember one of my teachers made us go through a series of painting to find all the emotions of the painting and explain how we could tell that those emotions where there. You reminded me of a particular painting where the womans eyes weren't shown, but the way her body was positioned and the scenery(colors mainly) made it pretty easy to see her sadness. I dont know, maybe you can try standing infront of a mirror and just feel what that character is suppose to feel and caputre the position you are in. I suck at color, but you seem to be good at it, im sure someone of your expertise can figure out what to do with the color to bring out the emotion. I'm not really a 2d person (yet), but just making some suggestions.

btw: love the comics on your site

KOryH
03-23-2005, 01:42 AM
so far so good.
I would expect nothing less.
it seems like your hand is doing better or did you teach yourself to paint with your feet?

best of luck

Ilikesoup
03-23-2005, 02:20 AM

Click here to submit an image (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/masterandservant/submit_entry.php)

Judges will not view all your images in this thread. They'll look on your challenge entry page.

Linda,
The good news is that you can delete the sketches you've posted to this thread because you're hosting them on your own server. For anything to be judged as a milestone for the contest you need to load it onto the CGNetworks server. Click the link Kirt provided above or click the "Submit Entry" link out front.

Don't worry about missteps, either. You can enter multiple images as milestones, you can change your concept midway through. Relax, take your time and let ideas percolate in your mind. Most of all, have fun. Believe me when I say you'll lots of people pulling for you.

Peddy
03-23-2005, 04:52 AM
Heheh, and you guys have SO jinxed me, I'm sure. I'll never manage to finish this competition, I just know it <3
its horrible to say it, but that may be our only salvation!

its looks fantastic so far, but for all that i like about such an early piece, it just doesnt seem 'new' enough. its still so evidently the work of Linda, but despite its grandeur, it looks a lot like all your other works, and not in the way you use a brush or colour. then again, it may be too early to tell, with just under 2 months left.

Be that as it may, im still gunna watch this with a hawk's eye.

Tommy Lee
03-23-2005, 05:17 AM
The master is here.... Everybody, we have a winner.
I am truly an admirer of you works. Can't wait to see your proggress. I have so much to learn from you.
Cheerz and good Luck:thumbsup:

Tommy Lee

coldfront
03-23-2005, 05:30 AM
very nice Linda. It's just a lose concept and you can already see it's going to be beutifull. You are amazing!

tlggungor
03-23-2005, 05:52 AM
:argh: nice concept...

jamihn
03-23-2005, 06:07 AM
Your color choice is excellent for you concept. Just looking at that hue sketch really reminds me of earthy nature tones. This is going to be a fun thread to watch!

Gunstar Hero
03-23-2005, 06:22 AM
always amazing work, good luck

igorstshirts
03-23-2005, 06:35 AM
Yep.... You'll kick our ass... Left handed even. Good luck!

tiare
03-23-2005, 07:08 AM
Enayla, your work is amazing and your spirit really shines through! I'm stoked to be able to follow along with your thoughts/progress! Thanks!!!

jmBoekestein
03-23-2005, 07:52 AM

Don't forget about this, Enayla. I had to bookmark all these extra pages so I don't forget them.

:bounce: I just completely love your idea for the work(I hope the fey wins in the end)! And you're coming up with very cool stuff.
Don't worry about it being imperfect, the judges will probably only check WIP for prove that you did it yourself and for your technique.

mark-jenkins
03-23-2005, 07:53 AM
Hi Linda,
Looks good so far, I look forward to seeing how this develops.

NOOB!
03-23-2005, 08:51 AM
oh man,the challenge was only announced yesterdat and u already have six pages of comments,hehe good luck again.

nice concept

Enayla
03-23-2005, 08:53 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5833/5833_1111571607_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5833/5833_1111571607_large.jpg)

This is the character concept for the nature spirit. I am still undecided as to whether using a mask or not. I finally decided on what kind of features I would use for her - and I like them so much I'm a little wary of covering them up.

The first concept sketch was more of a generic face but the look I want for her is a little like an actress from the forties, fifties, that timeless kind of elegance. Not a cute little button nose, either, I want it slightly arched. I'm leaving the cute features for the human character.

Also in this sketch are little concepts for her dress where the butterflies and flowers will lift from the fabric and become real. I'm thinking the entire image will be filled with these, fluttering to rotting deaths wherever they touch the human. Also, I've settled on kalla lilies for the hair. Well, I think I have, anyway.

coCoKNIght
03-23-2005, 08:56 AM
I like that weighless mood of the sketch. The lineart milestone is something that bothers me too. That's really not something that HAS to be done... :shrug:
maybe if we make a petition... :)

EDIT: That last sketch is so cool. I hope this challenge will help me to learn a lot from you!

NOOB!
03-23-2005, 08:57 AM
whoa! so gud.can't wait for more!

Squibbit
just amazing , are you really real ?

:surprised

Enayla
Oh my goodness, such a lot of replies D: Thank you so much everyone :] I'm noting all the critiques and thoughts.

I'm not sure of how I'm going to continue on the picture. I still want it to be evidently my style, but I believe that I should learn something new with every big new project. I think this one will teach me a lot about detailing outside of the face - I usually only create really specific features, and then blur the image the further I move from the features. (well, not 'blur' precisely, but it tends to lose details). I'm also aiming for a lot of emotion. I think I'm going to make the human side of the image almost seductive in quality, yearning for the nature yet destroying it.

So many ideas, so little time to paint :/

Enayla
03-23-2005, 08:59 AM
Nah, Squibbit, I'm a semi-intelligent mushroom posing as a human. I use bird-talons that I've ripped off to type, it's rather difficult, really :D

The whole hand-injury bluff was just a way for me to replace the real Linda and get a pair of fitting talons.

Oops, did I give myself away? :[

RBancone
03-23-2005, 09:40 AM
i saw your other paintings..great you are one of my favourites..i like the idea of the mask..don't leave it..

PeterPuppet
03-23-2005, 10:00 AM
hehe... love ya whatever you are.
If every man and women had just a "mushroom-part" of your fantasy, the world would be better because they would believe that it can be changed.

I guess luck isn´t really needed here... I wish you much freetime.:)

peace; Pete

paulwdavidson
03-23-2005, 10:07 AM
Very delicate and sensitive, empowered by the strong concept that plays a role in all of our lives.

What a breath of fresh air. You've struck a chord which is evident by looking at how many people have looked at your thread. People obviously respect your art, but more importantly they enjoy the mind behind it all.

Me being one of them

I wish you the best

Paul

Squibbit
03-23-2005, 10:09 AM
oo mushroom , and with talons even, sweet. I was a tropical plant once .
Had to try it cause my friend had . Stranger times were those

flyingP
03-23-2005, 10:11 AM
oo mushroom , and with talons even, sweet. I was a tropical plant once .
Had to try it cause my friend had . Stranger times were those

you're on you bike again aren't you :D

Enayla
03-23-2005, 10:20 AM
I tried to think of a way of doing the mask without covering up the eyes and nose :/ but it's looking way too mechanic this way, doesn't it? Not very 'natural' at all.

http://www.furiae.com/images/masterservant/charactersketch2.jpg

What I think I'll do is that I'll sketch her without the mask and then work it in, probably NOT using a beaked nose like on the reference mask, I really want her nose to have that graceful arch to it.

Again, thank you for the support.

But, man, it shouldn't have been pointed out to me how many people had looked at my thread, I'm a little freaked out right now D:

Squibbit
03-23-2005, 10:28 AM
got no bike at work,piggy , only microscooter

http://www.saunalahti.fi/panuom/scooter.jpg

haven't fallen asleep riding that one,
well yet anyways

ChrRambow
03-23-2005, 11:03 AM
just subscribing ... great concept and powerful startup! :applause: :thumbsup:

Mysterious X
03-23-2005, 11:07 AM
in my opinion the new mask is as great as the first one..but I feel that the first one implies more power as a (master) than the second one..that's just a thought..but really both are as good as each other :)

madone01
03-23-2005, 11:13 AM
This Is Very Impressive Man Love The Colours

Enayla
03-23-2005, 11:20 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5833/5833_1111580442_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5833/5833_1111580442_large.jpg)

The concept for the human was way easier. There's no issue of masks or frilly stuff, here. She'll wear a pretty simple knee-length dress with a pattern like the one I sketched together here. I needed to design something that felt genuine, but that wasn't too flowery. So, little snirklies and curlies, it is.

I'd already decided pretty early on that she'd have straw in her hair (look at the concept sketch) so adding that was a natural touch. I also wanted freckles, a cute little upturned nose and a very genuinely featured face (in other words, not ethereally beautiful like I intend for the nature creature to be. I want this girl to be very obviously human). So that's it. That's the second character. There will likely be a few dead leaves in her hair, some feathers from the birds that have fallen unto the ground, etc... but I don't feel a need to add them into the concept sketch :]

ms@zx
03-23-2005, 11:26 AM
very good progress linda,all the conceptual designs are properly layed out., and u are very fast too:)

lotaH
03-23-2005, 11:27 AM
Hi Enayla,

Good drawing!! Congratulations!!!:bounce:

[]'s

bealobo
03-23-2005, 11:32 AM
Hi!

I think the second mask looks better because of what you said, I mean it´s not natural to wear a mask, hiding something or whatever. Nature is beauty itself, but can of course have ornaments so that´s why 2nd mask fits better (to me).
Also, as I know your work is simply amazing I made a funny test and had a look at the first sketches without reading anything just to have a "first impression".
I ended up feeling like nature is the Master. No ambiguity at all.
I don´t know... the sketch is not finished and it´s difficult to say, but that´s my two cents if you like.
:)

Please don´t take this crit as a bad thing because I can see you´re working hard, the concept is very good, and the results are just "from outer space". I admire your work sincerely.

Enayla
03-23-2005, 11:40 AM
Bealobo - you're right :] As far as poses, lighting, outfits and expressions go, it will indeed seem as if Nature is in control. The upset of the balance will come in little details. In how nature is ruined wherever she touches the human. The withered flowers on the ground. The ruined, brown grass. The dead birds, the butterflies like so many discarded origami creations. I don't want the 'power struggle' to be too immediately obvious, if it makes any sense :]

And don't be so afraid to offend :]

coldfront
03-23-2005, 11:46 AM
Linda, you're an source of inspiration to us all.

bealobo
03-23-2005, 12:01 PM
Good idea Linda!
That is bitter but will look just great. I love compositions where you can explore and become aware of details (also story details) by looking a second or a third time. It is a good idea not to make things so obvious.

I can´t wait to see more... but careful with the hand!

MrFreeman
03-23-2005, 12:05 PM
:applause: Great work Linda.....and to think I only found out about the latest challenge last night.....you work very fast!!

Drawing figures and faces is a real challenge, so your work is really inspirational to me....keep them coming :applause: :thumbsup:

W-I-L
03-23-2005, 12:08 PM
i dont have the talent to comment on ur work... breathtaking it is..

well thats it

i am throwing in the towl and going down the pub. ur all welcome to join me . . . anyone?

Velinov
03-23-2005, 12:28 PM
WOW!!! It seems that it's gona by a tought battle. You are almoust done with the image. :) I like it very much. Can't wait to see your next wip. Keep it up!!! :thumbsup:

Velinov
03-23-2005, 12:29 PM
WOW!!! It seems that it's gona by a tought battle. You are almoust done with the image. :) I like it very much. Can't wait to see your next wip. Keep it up!!! :thumbsup:

Check my "Master and Servent" (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=221933)
-----------------------------------
www.velinov.com (http://www.velinov.com/)

TheFirstAngel
03-23-2005, 01:54 PM
Cxited taking seat agian to watch your progress (i'd better get modeling now....) to add the feeling without showing her eyes, my ways is to close my eyes and become the character, feel it, feel the muscles, feel the pain and sorrow. the elvish character could wear a more transparent mask maybe, more like a veil?
if the eyes don't get much chance to illustrate the pain, give the mouth more weight. let the lips express it :)
the sketches are beautifull and as expected on a masterly level. no worries. what you show promises a masterpiece :)

lanedaughtry
03-23-2005, 01:58 PM
I like the homey/warm feeling of the girl here. She looks like a settler or someone used to spending a lot of time dealing with the earth and nature in general. Like she has that sort of sensibility someone who spends their time dealing with something as finicky and unforgiving as nature can be.

I'm not quite feeling the nature character yet. It seems she is more of a hint of nature than a representation of it. I think the dress concept with the flowers and life will nail that home more so I'm looking forward to seeing that.

-L

Tranchefeux
03-23-2005, 02:55 PM
Hi,
Very pretty starting, good luck for the continuation.

JasonChan
03-23-2005, 03:08 PM
I'm really liking the second mask. If you want it to look more mask-like, what if you connected the sides by placing a piece over the forehead? Or, if you took off the mask, you can mimik the shape and idea of the mask with face paint or the combination of the two. Just thoughts.

The human girl is looking great. I'm interested to see how you are going to pull off the power struggle through their facial expressions.

justsantiago
03-23-2005, 03:12 PM
I'm in love! for some time i've seen your sketches and i love the fluidity in them, it's visual poetry. I've been always envyous of the way you get the color. you have a great fan cheering for you. Not that you need it.

DrFx
03-23-2005, 03:24 PM
Hi, Linda! Welcome to the challenge! I'd just like to express how inspiring yet disheartening your work is!:scream: When will the rest of us ever achieve such skill?!? Lol! j/k I love the colours and anatomical correctness in this, I just don't yet see a very close relation to the theme of the contest! It's probably the gothest theme in CG challenges ever, though!

Wussie
03-23-2005, 03:30 PM
looking good linda :D I allready noticed that I can't achieve this level of drawing with the skills i have (or lack) at this moment, but you're setting a good example wich pushes me to work work work :D
ty & good luck :)

MetasynMan
03-23-2005, 03:40 PM
I'm with wussie on this one... your work is fantastic, Linda. Even if I just learn something from you with this challenge, I'll be happy. I just got my first Wacom last week, so I've got some catching up to do. ;)

I love your concept, though. Very earthy and elegant. Can't wait to see more!

Man
03-23-2005, 03:45 PM
hello

i like your concept A LOT, the idea is great, exactly what i like. your concepts are awesome too, really nice use of colors and gret style too. i'm your fan... really

keep it up

caio

p.s.: did you know that in portuguese, linda means beautiful??yeah.. :]

MDN67
03-23-2005, 04:09 PM
OK, it is clear, I saw your site, I have taken one of the wallpapers, you possess an incredible tecnic, beautiful work, it's stupid that there is no time here but I would indeed ask you of for your technics

Jezzarts
03-23-2005, 04:17 PM
Hey there Enayla, from what I've seen of your work so far... I think we
can all expect to see some truly amazing work from you on this thread.

Best of luck! - Jez

Codexus
03-23-2005, 04:24 PM
Your work is beautiful as always. I'm gonna watch this thread closely. :thumbsup:

mybutterflyiris
03-23-2005, 05:29 PM
You seem to be moving right along...and I have no doubt that you will do well in this contest.
This is just looking awesome, and I know in the end when you assemble all the pieces it will be incredible! :)

whiterat
03-23-2005, 05:39 PM
beautiful. ...es the unique thing that sprouts of my mouth
more....I want to see more....

Miguel Pizzo
My contest thread: http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=222467

offbeatworlds
03-23-2005, 06:29 PM
Linda, I am absolutely loving the concept sketches you have so far, they are absolutely beautiful. The poses in the big sketch are very interesting, I like them. The colors are really neat, they really show beautiful nature and rotting life at the same time. I like the mask, too, that's turning out really cool. I also love the idea of the butterflies and flowers coming off of the nature being's dress and becoming alive, but only to die when they touch the human. And the human girl's face is so cute, I love her nose!

This is looking great so far, I can't wait to see the finished product!! I'm probably going to be bouncing off the walls waiting for this to be done. No pressure though, take your time.

And don't be nervous, you are so going to do great in this challenge!

Vedrica
03-23-2005, 07:02 PM
I like the eyebrowse most, because of some deeperer contrast in there. Fresh skin is ok to me also... ;)

Enayla
03-23-2005, 07:21 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5833/5833_1111609302_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5833/5833_1111609302_large.jpg)

I'm not too happy with working without colours. But I felt this would be a challenge so I decided to go for it. I am waiting with the background until I can block it out in colour later on, though, but I gave the characters a shot.

This is as close to a line drawing as I think I'll ever come. I sketched on the faces off and on a LOT, and decided, in the end, to go for the mask after all. I don't like just letting go of an idea I liked so much - if it turns out, in the end, that the mask doesn't work I can always remove it. I ended up liking the fact that it hides a little of her emotion - the eyes looked too large and too emotional, she's supposed to be proud and serene after al. I do believe I will use some of the advice I've been given and work on her lips - give emotion through the expression of the mouth alone. We'll see.

Aside from that, drawing without colour makes me a little sad and uninspired. On the other hand, I just came back from watching Finding Neverland, so I'm feeling a wash of inspiration come over me. What I'll do is take the black and white picture and use it as a soft light overlay on the earlier concept sketch - then I'll just paint over it, clean and simple, layer after layer. I've never painted like this for years.

I'm hoping I'll get the feel for it back once there's more colour.

NOOB!
03-23-2005, 07:22 PM
:surprised

ok i give up..

Enayla
03-23-2005, 07:23 PM
Thank you SO much everyone - for all the kind words and all the good help I'm getting. I'm trying to take everything to heart and I'll work hard to get emotion into the faces.

The mask is temporary - I might decide to get rid of it, I might not. I'll just have to go with the flow and see where it takes me.

Nehym
03-23-2005, 07:24 PM
Wow, looks like you are unstoppable Linda! I envy you to be able to put down your ideas that quickly. :)

The concept you posted are very appealing and it does convey the impression of superiority of nature, just the way she looks a bit down on the human etc. Also the way the human is posed, looking fragile but not too much.

As for the mask, i, too, think the second one would fit better (particulary after seeing the features you want to give her [but maybe that's because her nose reminds me of mine a bit? :shrug: I have a little arch like that too ah well, writting too much unnecessary info right now! :rolleyes: ]) But the mechanical feeling of it depends on what you intend it to be made of. I guess that you could have it feel like long twirling leaves for the pointy parts, and at the point they can be of brownish tones or i dont know, to fit your concept a little. ;) Or even small branches? Can also have some sort of tree bark texture/appearance, with very little vines. Or you could make it almost translucent, like made of dew with some leaves or other things here and there... It could let the features show through it a little yet hidding them too, making them a bit blurry and inconsistent and play with small reflections on it. Or making the face looking rotten where it shows through the mask, to show that it may look beautiful and graceful outside but it is dying inside. I guess that could make it less mechanical but this is only a suggestion/idea. :) I'm sure you'll find a way to pull that off.

Well this is it.. I'll stop now.. Having a hard time writting down correctly in english what goes through my head.. Maybe wrote up too much but eh.. Better more than not enough. :)

EDIT: I would have written faster if i knew that you would be posting right before me Linda.. Or waited to comment on the last one you posted. The black and white really gives it a nice touch. i,d commnt more but i guess i already wrote enough for now... D:

jamihn
03-23-2005, 07:28 PM
Whoa, that is absolutely gorgeous. I really like the hooked nose mask. It just seems to give that character an added power and majesty.

The one thing the bothers me a bit is that the pose of the human figure seems a bit stiff. If it's intentional then never mind. Perhaps more of a bend or wilt in the back of the human character. I like the percieved tension in the nature creature's hand. That extended pinky gives it a lot of life.

I'm amazed at how fast you're knocking this out. Truly inspirational.

lulaassassina
03-23-2005, 07:29 PM
Ok, I'm giving up.
There is no way that anyone, besides you, can win this.

Go Enayla! :D

Supervlieg
03-23-2005, 07:33 PM
Stop it allready!

Well, seems like we all got our work cut out for us now. Good luck, although you probably dont need it :D

tss, and 10 pages allready!

andreasrocha
03-23-2005, 07:37 PM
Well, Linda...your work is astonishing. I mean it. The way masses of value define form. Really great to look at your work. How the hell do you work so fast and where do you get the time? I really envy your ability...

I don't have to tell you to keep it up, because you will certainly do more that that.

(Don't be so unsure about your abilities...)

PeterPuppet
03-23-2005, 07:42 PM
The bill of the mask (that curve, that nose) looks kinda off to me... at least the rendering. I´d put a little more light on the top however I don´t really see where the light comes from. Seems like there are more than one lightsources in the picture, wich´s no problem of course as long as it works and hell it does, but that reflection is needed imo ... but... but... but...
I´m right about to become a big fan of yours:thumbsup: and right about to forget how to speak...
Diggin´ very, very much.

://Edit: Yeah and writing. Should have written faster but when I wrote this I didn´t know that you´re about to get rig of the mask... That´s your fault;) hehe... just kidding

DyslexicDan
03-23-2005, 08:22 PM
I really dig the mask. You ever seen the movie Labyrinth? There is a ballroom scean were a bunch of people are wearing masks kind of like this one. Kind of being the key words here. I really liked that movie and now I'm eager to see your entry done.

Kirt
03-23-2005, 08:52 PM
Geez this thread is getting huge fast!

OK ... I love what you have so far and quite honestly, you could probably stop now and still win something. Your sketches and color comps are absolutely wicked goodness for the eyes.

However, I'm sure you're going to keep at it so ... if you want to loose the mask maybe try to suggest a mask in the design of the character. It's a nature sprite, correct? Therefore it doesn't have to follow the facial structure of a human. Fringe the eyebrows or peak the cheakbones to look like a mask or an extention of nature in her spirit. Leaves, branches or even animal cues could be a part of her design.

The trick is to not get extreme with it, because I'm afraid then it would just get freaky looking.

I'd subscribe to this thread, but I'm afraid it would fill my e-mail box in a day. So, I'll just keep checking back on your work, Linda. From the looks of it, I shouldn't have any problems finding your thread ... it's always on the top. :D

Enayla
03-23-2005, 09:04 PM
Hahahah, you guys are nuts! My email box is getting swamped, is there any way to unsubscribe to my own thread?

I don't think I will be getting rid of the mask. Like I said, I'll keep it until the end. If I feel, then, that it occupies too much of her face I can always overpaint it. The truth is that I'm having such ideas for the texture and colour of it, and the design -- I'll be adding a frilly looking flower to the edge of it to accentuate her nature-theme, and there will be a dragonfly and a ladybug, I think, crawling up the, er, arches or whatever one should call them.

I'm loving all the awesome advice I'm getting. Will definitely look into the light on the mask, the design of it and a lot of other suggestions. Also, will make the human character's pose far more dynamic.

Also, thinking about the colours now. After having watched Finding Neverland, I'm feeling as if though... I don't want the colours quite as murky as I had intended. I think I'm going to perk them up a little. Perhaps mellow the intended green but instead bring turquoise/blue into it as well. Sounds pretty strange I'm sure but I think it'll work. Main 'blue' source being the bird on her shoulder, I imagine, and the green-blue I have in mind for the mask.

Here are the new colour thoughts anyway, basically the same and I'll still use the old colour scheme as inspiration together with this one (PLEASE don't think the entire picture will be looking like this, these are the 'extremes' of the colours I'll be using, like the accents)

http://www.furiae.com/images/masterservant/colours2.jpg

I'm also a little worried about all the dead birds I'm going to have to paint :/ I don't like seeing dead animals... snif. Ah well, a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.

Hmmmmmmm... anything more? Well, yeah, THANK YOU everyone for taking the time to help me out and encourage me. I feel excited and thrilled and happier than I've been in a while. Even the hand feels better :D Whee! <3

(Oh, and Kirt, love your suggestions about her face - I'll definitely go with something like that if I decide to lose the mask in the end!)

GaeasHerald
03-23-2005, 09:35 PM
Those were just concept sketches! Just seen this thread, and everything looks awesome. As for the mask, i think it is a must, cause it fills the character with an aura of mystery and power, quite suitable for the Master and Servant theme. The shape of the mask itself is up to you (in Linda we trust :wise:). As for the color pallete, it looks nice, the accent colors provide that nature feel you looking for. Best of luck. :)

Enayla
03-23-2005, 09:41 PM
Can't... stop... updating...

*cries* I really want to be like other people and take this slow, but I get absolutely obsessed with my paintings. I need to work 24/7. I'm FORCING myself to do other things at the moment - I plopped myself in front of the telly and attempted to watch Futurama (second season... so... good)

But I got frustrated, so here I am. It's just a tiny thing, I swear. I'm not going to do anything more until tomorrow. The way this is looking, I might actually submit a second entry later - I'm having some serious ideas for another concept (one IS allowed to do that, right?)

Anyway, what I did - when I should've been watching Futurama! - was an extremely quick colour test. I enlarged the original sketch and then superimposed the black-and-white sketch on top of it. It looked crappy, I had to change some stuff to get it to match up. Then I altered the colours subtly and added some flairs, just to see what kind of feel I might be getting. Like I said, it looks awful, but it's just a tiny test.

http://www.furiae.com/images/masterservant/quickcolourtest.jpg

I'll be painting over this entirely when I start with the actual picture.

GaeasHerald
03-23-2005, 09:49 PM
Come on! I posted a reply a sec ago and there's a new update!!! By the way, that blue bird: perfect placement. Now go watch Futurama and give us mere mortals some hopes!

Enayla
03-23-2005, 09:51 PM
Oh gosh, you posted while I was writing my post o.O Talk about timing there!

And, aargh, futurama. *whips self* I shall go immediately!

This is me, moping away from my painting.

JasonChan
03-23-2005, 10:02 PM
Looking at it now... Is the human girl floating? Because the way that Nature is holding her doesn't look like it can support weight. Still, I'm really loving how this is coming along. It's very inspiring!

About submitting two... I don't think you can do that unless you feel like learning 3D :) Sorry.

You're going to be done halfway through the contest! Maybe instead of watching Futurama you should just stick yourself in a cryogenic freezer until closer to the deadline :) That'll give the rest of us a fighting chance :twisted:

Squibbit
03-23-2005, 10:05 PM
o yea Futurama rocks ! I know about that being obsessed with art too , I got
the final concept ready in my head but I got other cool stuff i wanna post too so
I dunno when i gonna get to the final piece:D

and i can tell u that u can post as many concepts as u like, u know i know :p,
but only 1 final

Tariq12
03-23-2005, 10:07 PM
Hi Linda,
your concept is fantastic ! i love the way your 'Nature' character is holding on to the girl. The 'hand' shows so much power and the face is so calm and gentle. Can't wait to see the colour transformation.
All the best on the challenge.

SoniaNotRed
03-23-2005, 10:23 PM
That latest color post is looking very promising - one of the things I like about your work is the level of detail, all the little creatures and plants.

I've just come from the DSG forum thinking about the same thing as Evil Gerbil - the girl seems weightless, like there's no gravity at all. Even super-human Nature would have to hold her some other way to keep her like that.

I do like the proximity of the faces - it conveys a certain tension between them. Kind of sensual and kind of dangerous all at once.

Finally, I would stick to the mask - or some similar solution. Giving Nature a face will probably make her look too human and lose some of her mistery and strenght.

Soooo... That's it for now. (My, do I ramble!!)

Cheers!

ace4016
03-23-2005, 10:24 PM
Wow, looks like 2 months is too much time for you, its like you already finsihed on day 3 of the challenge:eek: . If you decide to keep that mask, you can always express emotion in the mask itself, like batman's mask. Batman doesnt have an angery face all the time, just his mask is fixed like that to strike fear in his enemies. That can cure your problem with expression through the eyes with the mask over the eyes. Just a suggestion.

Enayla
03-23-2005, 10:25 PM
Thankee guys!

Am through one Futurama episode, hopping unto the next: fighting hard to resist painting, waah.

Yes, she's unbalanced. She won't be able to stay upright like that. The nature goddess isn't holding her hard enough. It's pretty much how I want it to be, though... it's hard to explain, but I want her almost falling forward. I'll see what I can do about making it look more natural though :]

shards
03-23-2005, 10:34 PM
incredible!! :eek: great mood, I love it!! can't wait to see the progress! :thumbsup:

Louieville
03-23-2005, 10:38 PM
Wow!

That is a big change from the last version I saw! It looks great. I love the form and position of the characters on the page...they balance eachother out very well. I can't wait to see more!

lulaassassina
03-23-2005, 10:50 PM
Oh!, this is a concept sketch? :eek:
Enayla, as as a good friend that I'm avaible to be, I'm picking up my Virgo ascendant and tell you: Your painting is astonishing, wich makes really hard to compete, but in another way - Girl, you really know how to excite other artists to make good work.

I'm going to paint a little, now. :D
Big kiss to you.

NinjaA55N
03-23-2005, 11:18 PM
Oh man... ur r so blowing us away with ur incredible technique and style of telling the story behind. Although that u r taking hope from people, u r a great inspiration as well and even better "teacher" if may I say so. Ur step by step creations r very helpfull! Thnx and keep'em coming :)

Ordibble-Plop
03-23-2005, 11:20 PM
To mask or not to mask?

Perhaps you need to ask yourself what is its purpose? You seem to want to keep it, so if you found a purpose for it you might feel surer about doing so.

If I were to try interpreting your picture I might imagine perhaps that it repesented humans inability to discern the true face of nature; but in that case does nature veil itself, or is the mask of human origin?

monkeybeach
03-23-2005, 11:49 PM
awesome stuff, as always! regarding the gravity tho - if you move nature's hand from the shoulder to the neck/back of the head and make it a little more claw-like, it'll look like she's got a little better grip. or you could possible put their hips a bit closer together, so she gets some kind of leverage.. downside is that those alterations might just turn it into a cheesy make-out pose.. but you could probably make it work :)

lotaH
03-23-2005, 11:58 PM
To mask or not to mask?

Perhaps you need to ask yourself what is its purpose? You seem to want to keep it, so if you found a purpose for it you might feel surer about doing so.

If I were to try interpreting your picture I might imagine perhaps that it repesented humans inability to discern the true face of nature; but in that case does nature veil itself, or is the mask of human origin?

I agree.

Mask is able to leave her an interpretation mystery. Good for the art.

Human being? Or does it fantasize?
But, Mask can human being or fantasizes.

[] ' s
Good luck! :aplause:

Enayla
03-24-2005, 12:02 AM
Thanks guys and girls :D !

Hmmmmmmm... (yes, I should be watching Futurama, but here we go anyway)...

If I give her a mask, it is because my original thought when I first came up with this concept was that, as humans, we never see all of nature and we never understand her wholly. Some new-age crap like that :D !!

I'm still undecided. I started to secretly sketch on her face in the mask, and it's actually looking quite lovely. Hmmm.

Awesome idea regarding the hand - I'll try do that, when I allow myself to continue on the painting. And monkeybeach - you wouldn't happen to be Swedish, and living in Umeå, would you? I used to know someone with the same name.

OKMER
03-24-2005, 12:20 AM
Ring,Ring,Ring
?
Ring,Ring,Ring
Hello?,
Miss Bergkvist?
Yes,that's me,.......
Listen to me very well, Miss Bergkvist,if you would like to see your cat ever again,you better unsubscribe yourself of the Master&Servant contest on CgTalk in the next 24 hours!!!Do you understand?!!!
?
Is this a joke or something?
No it isn't Miss,Do not forget,24hours!!!
Oh my god,please don't hurt him!!!Show me he's still alive!!!Let me talk to him,please!!!
You've got one second,Miss Bergkvist!!!
Oh,my little pussycat,are you alright?
MIAUWWW,MIawwww,
Tuut...,tuut...,tuut,......,tuut,...........
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!.
:D :D :D
Now for real...
Marvelous work!!!Really like what you're doing!Your sketches are simply amazing and the concept sounds good!
So I'll just sit back and watch the show,...ha,ha
Later:thumbsup:

monkeybeach
03-24-2005, 12:29 AM
And monkeybeach - you wouldn't happen to be Swedish, and living in Umeå, would you? I used to know someone with the same name.

yea, we're practically neighbours :)

Enayla
03-24-2005, 12:31 AM
Okmer - seriously, you made me choke on my pepsi :D thanks, I needed a good laugh.

monkeybeach - dude, I think we might have gone to the same school. Are you born in 77? Went to Kolbäcksskolan, maybe?

GaeasHerald
03-24-2005, 12:36 AM
In my very humble opinion, I would not change the floating girl. She looks as if she weren't in control of the situation, whereas the nature spirit is firmly grounded, showing confidence and elegance. That's the idea of the challenge, isn't it? Anyway, the question you should ask yourself is: what would Bender do?

BluePulse
03-24-2005, 12:40 AM
Your killing me softly..with your submission. Oh what a great song that would make! Good luck to you...I'm gonna need it.

Adamos
03-24-2005, 12:58 AM
Actually let me serve you some time, hmm?
Mastress

never seen someone so talented yet so humble at the same time!
that's a golden mixture...

one more on your fan list

monkeybeach
03-24-2005, 01:06 AM
yea, that would be me.

(unless of course you just remember the name because of something mean i did, in which case - eh, i'm.. er... french! and i've never heard of ålidhem.. yea that's it..! or i was young and needed the money o.O)

Enayla
03-24-2005, 01:15 AM
You guys are honestly making me blush. If I'd meet people complimenting me like this in real life, I'd be going 'aw chucks', toe the floor with my foot and glance away. You're all really sweet :]

I'll get to the painting again tomorrow if I can. Right now, I'm all 'painted out'.

monkeybeach - ha ha, I actually remember you because that one year was one of my worst :D Remember the class you went to in, er, fourth grade? I was heavily bullied, this ugly spectacled girl who fell over her own feet (I pretty much passed by undetected). You didn't do anything bad, though, I just remember pretty much everyone in that class (nobody from the years later, weirdly enough, I suck at names) It's a small world, huh?

offbeatworlds
03-24-2005, 01:21 AM
Oh my god, Linda, you make me so jealous! *cries* How do you whip up masterpieces so fast?!?!

This is coming along amazingly! I love it so much! I kind of want to enter the Challenge too, but I'm not sure yet...there's no way I'd win anything, and I'd probably get last place! But it's the experience right? Anyways, this is looking so fabulous. I love the nature-spirit's hair, its beautiful! And the colors are right on, so bright and yet not, and perfect blend of light and dark.

I think perhaps the human's legs need to be bent a little more, because she looks as though the nature-spirit is holding her up and she's limp in her arms, but to emphasize that, bending the legs would probably do the trick. Just a suggestion though. :)

Keep it up Linda!

rickycox
03-24-2005, 01:25 AM
Oh I'm glad they've got a 'Do Not Subscribe' option when you post a reply otherwise my mailbox would be swamped with the amount of replies to this thread :)

It looks great Linda, very elegant, stylish. I'd try to offer some crits but with the gapping hoies in my own work I'd be better off to focus there. Best of luck with it.

r

monkeybeach
03-24-2005, 01:42 AM
ah. yea, that whole mess. i always like to quote one of the weird substitute teachers we had back then. he walked in on this big fistfight, with like blood and stuff, and all he said was "you know kids, you're not supposed to do that while a teacher sees you" and then he left.. a little redeeming thing tho, is that he always used to hype the macabre comics i made in my math book... so there might be hope for him too :)

Climax
03-24-2005, 02:00 AM
• Wow! this is going to be a thread a gotta follow, good luck Linda, you are very talented! :thumbsup:

pixemo
03-24-2005, 02:15 AM
jeez your fast! I'm still trying to come up with a solid idea! Love your style - thanks for joining in this so we can watch/learn from your process! BTW - the black and white one great!

good luck!
pixemo

kira-hime
03-24-2005, 02:32 AM
:eek: eeks...if your piece looks like this on day two I can't even begin to imagine it when the contest is over. Really, really amazing! And girl, you should stop saying anything you put up here is awful, or quick...you make thousands of artists all over the world want to put their heads through the drywall. :D

It's a good thing you're finally painted out or the rest of us would never do our own stuff...we'd just sit here and stare at your "sketches." ^.-

Enayla
03-24-2005, 03:18 AM
(double post)

Enayla
03-24-2005, 03:22 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5833/5833_1111638122_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5833/5833_1111638122_large.jpg)

I simply can't stop.

After having used the black and white picture as an overlay on the initial sketch, I set about painting over the whole thing with colours that felt more right. I lessened the contrast and gave the characters more believable skin tones, at the same time as I felt a need to shift the human character's legs slightly to make her balance against the fey.

I started to paint in the left leg of the nature spirit but I realise now I have to wait until later with that... as well as this first attempt being ridiculously messed up (it's just not attached right, and it's looking, well, clumsy). What I'll do is wait for daylight and then pose a little in front of a mirror, try to figure the leg out.

Aside from that, I have the first colour version done. I've been using the colours from my very first colour scheme test - I usually change it in between stages, but it still feels right. The flowers will be whiter, the background more fleshed out (but still discreet, I intend for there to be so many little details that it'd be too busy otherwise) and there are some things I'm still not too sure about. At least I got rid of the overall too-green look of the initial colour sketch.

The murkiness will be helped when the details are fleshed out, I'm sure.

edit: (forgive me. I couldn't help myself. I've been up all night painting, almost feverish with the need to continue on the picture. sigh.)

beelow
03-24-2005, 03:22 AM
I will catch up with you eventually I've got all next week to do some painting...ha,ha in yo' face...lol...jk. Bow down to the master. Good Hustle.:applause:

lulaassassina
03-24-2005, 03:42 AM
To be honest, Linda, I believe that the figures on the right side of the composition worked better than like it is now. More poetic, I think.

And go to bed, don't work that much. ;)

ArtisticVisions
03-24-2005, 03:53 AM
As Cartman would say: "Holy crrrraaaap!" :eek:

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful, beautiful, beautiful, BEA-U-TI-FUL! :drool: :applause: :D :thumbsup:

gra7
03-24-2005, 04:05 AM
aahahahah

REALLLLYYY BEA-U-TI-FUL! :applause:
morree .. :thumbsup:

nobodee
03-24-2005, 05:25 AM
Linda, I really love the idea behind the whole painting - because paintings without meanings aren't my cup of tea. I am a nature lover myself, and this is really, really beautiful :)
Besides, the blue bird reminds me of my budgie, Feanor. Hehe =3

Keep up the awesome work, hun (where's the hug smiley? oh well. *hug*) You're so winning this challenge :applause:

Tommy Lee
03-24-2005, 05:35 AM
May I be your servant, Linda?:)

I can't crit anything, I just sit back and enjoy the show....:thumbsup:

Zombie Ninja
03-24-2005, 06:22 AM
Incredible stuff! I know that’s not a helpful critique in any way, But I just had to give you kudos :applause:

RBancone
03-24-2005, 06:33 AM
MAMMA MIAA!!!your work is simply amazing!For that "sketch" of the blonde girl did you use references or she just came out from ur mind and gone on the canvas?
You capture the colours in a way that i never seen...i whish i could be good as you..:arteest:
No criticques from me..i think you are a potential winner /runner up..

monsitj
03-24-2005, 07:11 AM
impressive ! and fast! i still don't have my concept! :sad:

duddlebug
03-24-2005, 07:16 AM
I've been waiting to post because i figured you had so many posts to read you wouldn't have time to work!! But your almost churning it out... and it's all beautiful...

Lovely palette and the poses of the figures work wonderfully. And it's been a real eye-opener to see your process. A really fascinating thread.... can't wait to see what's next...

And i had to get subscribed!! :bounce:

Enayla
03-24-2005, 08:00 AM
Hm. I'm definitely moving them back again. I have no idea why I do such stupid things late at night, it looks much worse with the characters on the left...

jmBoekestein
03-24-2005, 08:08 AM
Wow, I felt like I tripped over my own mind here trying to read all these posts! I totally agree, it's stunning the speed you work at and absolutely beautiful. A noble piece too, on top of that, in look and feel!

I would love to see a second entry! Well anyway, I just wanted to say that the hand placement is okay in my view! they look more involved this close together, but I do think more to the right will work best.:) The nature spirit is really beautiful, the strong angles on her face really get me hooked!!! Her in the right is a lot stronger to me.

I'm scared that you'll actually take my advice and change it and ruin it :(|, don't do that, it scares me. But here it is, I wonder wether the dress on the nature spirit is strangely shaded or maybe it distorts her hips a bit. I blame it on being temporary as a colour test, so it's fine. I must be reading the depth wrongly. Just thought I'd say.

STOP WATCHING SILLY CARTOONS!!! You're making me hungry!

flyingP
03-24-2005, 08:10 AM
it looks much worse with the characters on the left...

I wouldn't have thought so actually, in fact I rather like the fact that is not as central as I felt some of the others were, although without really knowing how the surroundings are going to be laid out it's not easy to judge :shrug:

jmBoekestein
03-24-2005, 08:16 AM
Hm. I'm definitely moving them back again. I have no idea why I do such stupid things late at night, it looks much worse with the characters on the left...

Do it!!! :argh: Before this turns into a discussion! I will shut up now!

eclipson
03-24-2005, 08:19 AM
Hey Linda, love ur artwork,specially the gothic one, seeing u in this comp makes me nervous, neways, u dun need the luck, can't wait to see ur artwork....looking forward to it

Solothores
03-24-2005, 09:07 AM
Good luck and all the best to you as well Linda, so when can we expect the enayala&azrael themed merchandise line for all your fans? *cough* coffee cups *cough* :p

NOOB!
03-24-2005, 09:35 AM
looks so soft!! hehe can't wait for more!

Arctis
03-24-2005, 09:35 AM
Hi,
you have a nice sketch very early : cool... ;)

About the mask, I think it's a good idea, but maybe the problem, for the moment, is that its beak is mingled with the face : the profile isn't very clear...
I'm a bit disturbed by the poses of the two characters : they seem weightless and stiff. Adding some fluidity and sensuality could make the scene more natural...

Good sense of colors anyway,

Keep it up and good luck !

jmBoekestein
03-24-2005, 09:39 AM
I think Arctis might be onto something here.

Since it's half magic anyway maybe you could literally make them weightless as if natures magic is controlling their very motion, flowing hairstrands and less weight on their cloth as if it's sort of floating.

rawwad
03-24-2005, 10:31 AM
It look like as very cool work! Great work, Linda!

My Master and Servant
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=222995

BaronImpossible
03-24-2005, 10:41 AM
Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but old age would set in if I read all the comments on this thread. I'm not sure what's going on. Is the woman on the right actually lifting the one on the left? If so, it's not really working. Her grip is too light and the right-woman's leg should be braced more - it looks too relaxed. I'd also suggest that the right-woman be larger, but again, I don't really know the intent so maybe that's not the idea. I can't fault the technique but for me these inconsistencies dilute the artwork's message.

Enayla
03-24-2005, 10:58 AM
I'm going to rework the poses later (I'm just not feeling up to painting right now, I have a headache).

I can see that I'm not getting across what I wanted with the poses, so they have to change :] It's great to have people point out things to me, I was going blind to the picture. I should've painted the spirit's legs in immediately instead of putting her in a full length dress in the sketches, sigh.

The effect I was striving for, was the human just... falling, letting herself submit into the spirit's arms - just assuming that someone will be there to catch her. Her weight should be mainly on the spot where her hips touches the spirit's, and her feet would be sort of... well, the toes or the knuckles of the toes touching, the feet relaxed except for the touching points. Almost as if she'd raised herself on her toes and then just tipped forward (or more accurately: as if they were standing there and she just started to slide down, and the spirit moved to catch her). The spirit was supposed to be catching - not holding and not lifting up. Barely balanced. Not weightless, but that's something all my characters look like until I get the ground in, but rather unbalanced if you get the difference.

I don't want to do the whole weightlessness thing completely. The point is to show balance being upset, them falling into each other - or the one falling against the other who might or might not be ready to catch. I'll do a big rethink of the whole thing when the headache has passed :] try out a few poses, etc. I want this to turn out nicely in the end.

Gah, I don't know... so difficult. I suspect I might have to kill my favourite part of it - the human girl's feet looking like they do :/ snif. Killing one's babies and all of that.

Thank you for the help - this is a real learning experience for me.

nebezial
03-24-2005, 12:02 PM
Well about the whole weightlessness i say leave it. It makes this picture special. oh yeah, interesting thing but the first time i visited cg talk it was because i saw your work. allways liked it:thumbsup:

dmonk
03-24-2005, 12:04 PM
This is lovely! I love the tone.

Atwooki
03-24-2005, 12:15 PM
Looking fabulous, Linda (as ever!)

Composition and color palette are bang on course, as is the bird holding the girls heads focal angle) - great work :)

A.

MoonVisionStudio
03-24-2005, 12:29 PM
It is absolutely priceless to be able to follow you through this image, specially with your detailed descriptions of your thought process. Thank You! and Thanks to CGTalk!

SoniaNotRed
03-24-2005, 12:50 PM
Concerning the pose, I think Monkeybeach expressed himself a lot better than I did. The "lack of weight" illusion came more from the fact that her body wasn´t trying to ballance - not beding backwards and so on... - than because you have yet to paint the ground.

Bu your latest update is looking much more the way you wanted it to, I guess. Now we can see how the girl is leaning on Nature and how Nature is keeping her on her feet. And the feet make sense so don't kill your baby:)
I really love this whole interaction concept.

element5
03-24-2005, 12:51 PM
OMG!!!

Fantastic work! :applause:

anilduran
03-24-2005, 12:55 PM
hi linda....
it's really a interesting idea,
i'm looking forward to seeing your next steps...

peterpop88
03-24-2005, 01:05 PM
I've always envied this style of work and admired it greatly - working from colour and shapes not sketches and line work, it's like 2d sculpture.

From what I have seen of the development of this work you are heading towards a great piece of art. Beautiful work, looking forward to the final piece.

As a 'rookie' I'm curious to know how much you use references in your work? Does this come from your imagination or do you study the human form so much it just comes naturally? I say this because even with simple shapes you manage to capture the female form brilliantly. especially the face - which I find the most difficult part.

Hopefully in the future (they may have already) cgtalk will interview you and I (we) will learn from your example. :)

JasonChan
03-24-2005, 02:59 PM
It's great being able to watch your working method. Can we see your reference images if you are using any? Please? Pretty please? With sugar on top? :rolleyes:

Wussie
03-24-2005, 05:52 PM
hah yeah same as gerbil :D but her reference probably is herself so i dunno :p

Enayla
03-24-2005, 06:00 PM
Hi hi guys :]

Yeah, I do use reference. At the moment, only a mirror though - the photos I had snapped of a friend turned out absolutely awful, so I've been basing both of the characters off of me so far.

I'm probably snapping a few reference photos next week sometime of the same friend, I just want to figure out how to do the arch of the legs and she has the right kind of legs. I can't post those though, but if I take any photos of myself I could always post those. (I would be a poor friend indeed if I posted photos of my friend in a bikini on a forum like this, wouldn't I?)

Faces, etc, I've only used mirror reference for so far. I've dragged the hallway mirror into the living room and I've set a couple of lamps around me so that it works out nicely. I don't look much like either of them as some of you might know. (The nature spirit character, I looked around at some photos of actresses from the fifties for inspiration, but I've not referenced her face from anything beyond myself)... it's just for light reference :]

Does that answer the questions? If I do end up referencing from any self portraits, I'll post them, but I'm not going to expose my best friend when she's asked me not to :]

I've not painted anything today because it's been my daddy's birthday and I spent the day there. Tomorrow I'm going away over the weekend and tonight I'm watching some movies with some friends. I want to paint :[

Oh, and thank you, all!

JasonChan
03-24-2005, 06:05 PM
No problem. I completely understand. My girlfriend doesn't let me post her images when I use her as a model either. I was just curious as to how much artistic liberty you take between your references and your actual image. I'm really inspired by your work and I just want to study your process :)

Wussie
03-24-2005, 06:09 PM
heh yeah, about the leg position,
i showed your sketch to a friend of mine and he wondered where the "master slave" idea went to, i said: "well as you can see by the position of the legs, the left girl is kind of hanging, powerless", maybe make that a bit more noticable on first sight (if that is what you intend to achieve)

W-I-L
03-24-2005, 06:52 PM
very nice . . . like the feel of this piece.

birdybear
03-24-2005, 06:59 PM
I think this one is going to be really stellar. What a great choice of colours. Good Luck.

RBancone
03-24-2005, 08:50 PM
The legs of the servant looked too reddish but now they are better..The lighting is very good..but the background colour gives to me the sensation of the jungle..you said that you wanted to insert them in a natural context..i think a lighting of a afternoon in the county side would give the idea of the natural environement better..or a wood environement(that i think you are tring to obtain)..

anyway the background is only a flat colour..we have to see the updates..you are my master linda.. I hope to arrive your level of skill a day..:arteest:

nenne
03-24-2005, 09:53 PM
Fabiluse as always Linda, puts a mark so i can se the progress :)

jmBoekestein
03-24-2005, 10:54 PM
Hi Enayla,

I was looking over your earlier pictures again, they're simply better I think. If you're not going for extreme irrealism, I think more energy in the spirit would work for the dramatics in the piece. All her poses are very linear, not only on the screen, but also in the space in there. Her back's kinda straight and her back/head are not pointing toward the action of the human girl. Maybe you should take some snapshots of people caching a matras really quickly, some acting you know. I think it would help:wise: !

Hope your headache quiets down this weekend!:shrug: ,

Goro
03-24-2005, 11:12 PM
Wow Linda! You shoud have send me the link ;)
Looks stunning! I'm looking forward to see more. Are you painting with your feet?
I hope so cause your hand needs some rest!

Hehe and you know what? You motivated me to join in. I'll start sketching around tomorrow.

Cheers!
Goro

pushav
03-24-2005, 11:31 PM
I wish that I could draw and paint digitally as well as you amaing stuff.

feeb
03-24-2005, 11:42 PM
Really great to see you here! I've finally come out of my shell long enough to attempt to do one of these. :) I already am amazed at your rough beginnings. I've always wanted to see your work in progress. I'm very excited to see it. :)

Gremlin
03-25-2005, 12:15 AM
*sigh*

Brilliant Enayla at it again... I'm certainly glad I'm not competing in the 2D with you. :blush:

Rhenia
03-25-2005, 12:42 AM
Hi!! This is my very first challenge here at CGtalk. Im so excited to work among all of you....I've been watching everyone work from the side lines and I'm a lil nervous, but I finally got the courage to start something. You're all so talented especially you Linda. Just your rough alone is great. I can't wait to see how it comes out. I wanna wish everyone good luck! :)

ozhaver
03-25-2005, 01:37 AM
How about arching the back of the human more? So it brings more tension to her neck as if she having to struggle more to keep the position. Are the hands on the shoulder clawing in?...that would be interesting. Also I noticed none of the limbs at the back are very visible...except the left leg of the human *just poking in to see if I can sparkle some ideas* ^_^;

cLos71
03-25-2005, 07:17 AM
Looking forward to seeing more of the WIP and the wonderful final. Just like Goro, you've inspired me to join...hope I can keep up.;) :arteest:

Enayla
03-25-2005, 08:50 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5833/5833_1111744253_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5833/5833_1111744253_large.jpg)

I do not have the time, nor do I feel inspired, to fix the flawed poses of the characters before the weekend. I know that I need to take care of them but they can wait a few days. So, instead, I sat down and doodled a little.

This is the bird that is going to be sitting on the spirit's shoulder. I feel safe in painting it now as I can always paint over and fix the position of it when the rest of the image is ready to catch up with it. Looked at quite a few references (I've borrowed a book on exotic birds from my best friend) but I don't think this bird looks like any living bird I've seen.

Thought behind the colours: The bird will have colours that pick up nearly every other colour in the image. It's encompassing the red, the brow, the green, the yellow and the blue. It'll be a little more dominantly blue in the final version, I think, but the other colours will be present... bringing the picture together. When I use birds in my images, they're carrying a little message.

Next update on the painting: next week, repainting the poses.

Enayla
03-25-2005, 08:53 AM
Thank you SO much everyone. I'm copy/pasting all the advice and suggestions into a separate document that I can access easily while painting. I wish I could just leap back into the fray and fix the problems with the painting right away but I'm going away with my family for the weekend :/

Ah well, a weekend stay out in the country side will be good for both myself and Azrael. Have a lovely time at your own entries while I'm away :D

CoreyArtE
03-25-2005, 08:54 AM
geesh, what brush did you use, thats amazing, and its only a sketch...makes me have to step my game up. I am a big fan, continue to inspire!

Velinov
03-25-2005, 09:01 AM
Thank you SO much everyone. I'm copy/pasting all the advice and suggestions into a separate document that I can access easily while painting. I wish I could just leap back into the fray and fix the problems with the painting right away but I'm going away with my family for the weekend :/

Ah well, a weekend stay out in the country side will be good for both myself and Azrael. Have a lovely time at your own entries while I'm away :D

Have a good rest and all the best to you and Azrael. He is such a cute kitty:)

My Master and Servant (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=221933)
----------------------
www.velinov.com (http://www.velinov.com)

Enayla
03-25-2005, 09:03 AM
For wings and such, I use a combination of normal brushes (sharp edged round - pressure set to opacity, slightly soft round - pressure set to opacity and pressure) and this one: http://www.furiae.com/images/featherbrush.jpg

You're welcome to it :] Set pressure to opacity and have a very low spacing. I love it.

coCoKNIght
03-25-2005, 09:22 AM
Thanks for sharing that with us! The bird looks really nice though a little lifeless? What do you think?

Hexodam
03-25-2005, 09:30 AM
oh sooooo promising

one thing bugging me a bit, the woman with the mask, she seems to be looking to the side of the other person but it also seems that the other person is blocking the view. Like 1/4 or there abouts of the masked woman's perspective is blocked by the other person.

I think the masked woman needs something to look at, something to focus on to show that she doesnt care how fixated the other person is on her. Hope this will be of help

RBancone
03-25-2005, 09:40 AM
fantastic..did you used that brush for the skin of the characters too or other different brushes?
please teach us your art!!!:bowdown: :arteest:

cgkrusty
03-25-2005, 09:41 AM
You have such wonderful economy of brush strokes and marks and such an subtle shifting colour usage... gorgeous technique!

You remind me of an Art Instructor I once had... one of the most amazing illustrators I've ever known. You'd watch him doodle and swear he was scribbling... then the image would emerge. Perfect line weight, beautiful tonal shifts and only the marks needed to describe the depicted subject in almost photo-like clarity and proportion.

Really inspiring work from him and yourself.

Can't wait to see more...

:bounce:

NinjaA55N
03-25-2005, 09:42 AM
Donno if anyone said that before (its just too much reading for a short breaks I do between worktime), but I found that masked character holding the other one too high on the right side... Coz the nonmasked one is hanging in the masked ones arms, the whole weight is in the natures hands, but it looks so unstable, that the human will slip out any moment. I hope that u understand what I just posted.. not quite perfect english :blush: Other that that, nothing to critiscize at all!

nashya
03-25-2005, 09:45 AM
*sigh* Seeing your progress both stresses and inspires me. Just when I think you can't get any better you just... GAH! I love seeing you do things other then humans. That bird is just amazing. I do agree that it seems a bit... stuffed. Like it's posing. But you did say you're not done with it so I imagine this just like warming up to the character. If you get any more warm the thing will fly out of the screen! It just boggles my mind how good you are at this. You're the reason I entered this contest. I just saw your sketches and was like, "I have to take this next step. It's my chance to go up against some of the best online artists around the world. And to push myself to my limits!" I felt overwhelmed but in a good way. I really can't wait to see what you do next with this piece and honestly I can't point out any mistakes. You probably have a better undestanding of realism and human anatomy then I do. So yes, best of luck to you!

MDN67
03-25-2005, 10:53 AM
the bird is very beautifull, extremly good work:love:

jamihn
03-25-2005, 01:19 PM
I'm finding it nearly impossible to keep up with other people's threads but I definitely enjoy watching where your piece is heading. That bird sketch is so great. I like the feathers coming off the head. It echoes the style of the mask which is really cool. Anyway, good luck with the poses. Simply amazed at the speed and quality of your work.

jmBoekestein
03-25-2005, 01:58 PM
Thanks for sharing that with us! The bird looks really nice though a little lifeless? What do you think?

It might be the eye it's weird-looking like an insect's eye. Intentionally done maybe, as a hint at the state of nature?

Pierrick
03-25-2005, 02:01 PM
Bloody hell!! You Rock mademoiselle ! ^^
Looking at your whole sketch is magic...

Great!!

JasonChan
03-25-2005, 02:07 PM
Thanks for sharing your brushes with us!

The bird looks great! Colors remind me of a parot, but the shape is like a song bird. Very cool. Although coCoKNIght might have a point about it feeling a bit lifeless. But it is just a sketch. So long as it looks like it's looking at something in the final, I suppose.

bonestudio
03-25-2005, 02:11 PM
Lind this is soooo cool to see you here. Welcome on board :)

Seing your step by step progression is an enchantment... And your sketches bring more emotions than lots of finished pieces.... Just keep going :)

lotaH
03-25-2005, 02:13 PM
Great bird, congratulations!!

I only think can be worked his feet better... But, perhaps, you want to leave to place it later... ;)

[]'s

uwil
03-25-2005, 02:44 PM
whoaa...beautiful...it is. best of all luck! :)

ArtisticVisions
03-25-2005, 03:17 PM
Damn, even the bird looks freaking gorgeous! :eek: :thumbsup:

ldgree
03-25-2005, 03:33 PM
Wonderfull work , i will keeping looking here

nobodee
03-25-2005, 03:41 PM
Thanks for sharing some of your secrets with us, Linda :D

The bird is very pretty :) I can't wait to see more of the painting progress!

Leydecker
03-25-2005, 03:49 PM
Hi Linda,

after sifting through 17 pages of comments I still think this might be a helpful opinion.

I have a problem reading the gesture of the masked elfish character. I understand you
want it to look as if the blonde is giving herself into the hands of nature.

Longing for a kiss she is almost wheigthless, just a slight touch keeps her lifted and
overwhelmed by the unnatural beauty under that mask...

I would expect the masked elf to be more elegant in pose then, more erect and with
her legs in a smaller stance. It´s no wheight she´s lifting - it´s more like feeling a breeze,
sunlight on a spring day.

Althought you haven´t used reference images the elf looks as if taken from a photograph
of someone sitting on /leaning against a barstool, a bit stiff around the neck and not
really comfortable with the situation.

One inspiring reference you may want to look into is this Stanley Kubrick film, the one
shoot mostly using candles for lighting. There´s lots of 17th/18th century pose in there
plus maybe even some dancing or being asked for a dance and leading away.

Alternatively, there´r allways the good old waltz.

Hope you find this helpful. I do learn alot from your colorwork.
Skip the lineart but please keep the volume (of work).

Cheers

tim

offbeatworlds
03-25-2005, 04:14 PM
I love that bird, it's colors are beautiful. It actually looks like a real bird, with all those details and the structure of the head. Wonderful concept Linda!

hermine
03-25-2005, 04:54 PM
Nice colors and sensual atmosphere. :thumbsup:

beelow
03-25-2005, 09:16 PM
That is a nice doodle if you as me. You do nothing but amaze me. Love the colors of the birds. I tend to have problems with applying color so I will probably be asking about how to approach it. :eek:

rawwad
03-25-2005, 10:06 PM
Very good girl! Impozant work and it is only concept.

My Master & Servant
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=222995

offbeatworlds
03-26-2005, 03:54 AM
Linda! I fingured out a small part of what's wrong with the pose of the human! Her neck! While the rest of the body is completely relaxed, her neck is way too tense, me thinks. I think perhaps if you move the head back and have it seem a bit more relaxed with the rest of the body, it will look much smoother.