PDA

View Full Version : Master and Servant 3D Entry: Claire Duval

Claireabella
03-22-2005, 09:25 AM
Claire Duval has entered the Master and Servant 3D.

Challenge Page (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/masterandservant/view_entries.php?challenger=5816)

Latest Update: Modeling: Head of the House
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5816/5816_1112616333_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5816/5816_1112616333_large.jpg)

This is my first WIP since the concept sketch. Have gone in tighter on the characters. Just tried to get a good angle on both with just enough background to give you an idea of the laboratory setting. Any C & C's would be appreciated!

ace4016
03-22-2005, 09:27 AM
Good luck.

Claireabella
03-22-2005, 09:32 AM
Thanks!. Good luck to you too. Am panicking about having to build my first human....... scary!!! :eek: Claireabella

ace4016
03-22-2005, 10:21 AM
lol, the only human i have made was the joan or arc model back in october. Hopefully I will be able to pull this off to. Humans will be a challenge for the both of us.

Lemog
03-22-2005, 10:30 AM
Honored to see you an another time miss :bounce: see you soon and good luck for your first human modeling :thumbsup:

Claireabella
03-22-2005, 10:48 AM
Thanks Lemog. Nice to be back! Am looking forward to seeing your work on this challenge. :thumbsup: Claireabella

Claireabella
03-22-2005, 03:54 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5816/5816_1111506847_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5816/5816_1111506847_large.jpg)

So, the story is that Dr De'Ath created a monster. As part of the experiment, the Dr engineered the monsters brain to connect with his own. As Dr De'Ath became old and decrepit he instructed his creation to keep his brain alive and thereby continue to exist long after his body had crumbled to dust.

MattGyver
03-22-2005, 09:46 PM
CLAIRE!!! Great to see you back in this challenge. Can't wait to see how this thing turns out. :bounce:

Virtuoso
03-22-2005, 09:48 PM
Hi Claire.......Back into action I see.......And already deep into the creative process.....I'll wish you the best and hope to see you progress as planned.......Until later good luck,and see you soon......:arteest:

Claireabella
03-22-2005, 09:57 PM
Hi Guys........... it's good to be back!! Missed the thrill of a good challenge! Well, got my idea so now it's a case of trying to fit it in with the work load...... and there's even less time than before! Am looking forward to seeing everyone's ideas for this one......... think there could be some interesting ideas floating around! :bounce: Claireabella

Gunilla
03-23-2005, 03:34 PM
Hi Claire! Good to see you onboard again!

Cool concept you got there - godd luck with it.

Oh, and you're not alone in panicking about the human part... oh, dear - we're in for a challenge all right:)

mmoir
03-24-2005, 01:37 PM
Hi Claire,
Nice to see you back here again, good luck with the character part of your image. I know how you felt as the character in my GSO was my first and it was a little intimidating to model.
Mike

blackdragoncg
03-29-2005, 12:07 AM
Hi Claire, I,m really glad you made it :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Awsome concept! My advise would be to pick the model you are most troubled by and start work on that first... take breaks and ask questions as there is loads of helpful people here oozing good advise...In the breaks model the parts that are much easier and knock them off one by one... Try to assemble your scene as I have found this helps make deciding on textures a little easier.. I would try modeling with a reference image in the background of your modeling package...This helps to get things right very quikly... As your scene is a lab type set up I would consider adding lots of beakers test tubes and bunsen burners etc... with the frame work that holds things in place and chemicals bubbling away... Maybe add some source of electricity as the classic frankenstien kind of thing...An electrical arc buzzzz you know...

Well just some thoughts! Glad you made it here now let's get busy :bounce:

Looking forward to seeing some of the progress! You can do it! so go for it....

Good luck Claire

smaddl
03-29-2005, 12:32 AM
hi Claire :)
my thoughts - i think closer view and another angle would be better. there is no need to show the whole room.also it would be great if some emotion will show in the scene. i think something should happen.

looking forward to see your modeling steps. good luck :)

Neeno
03-29-2005, 03:31 AM
detatched head.. i love it already...ill be watching to see your progress i love it already...

Aethyrprime
03-30-2005, 03:13 PM
Heya babe, WB. Good to see you here again. You have got some peoples attention with the detached head eh? lol nice concepts, you know I will be here to cheer you on. GL! :)

uwil
03-30-2005, 05:45 PM
hi Claire,
nice to see these concept in 3D...be waiting for it.

Claireabella
03-30-2005, 06:50 PM
Cheers my dears, think I will need encouragement with this one so your support is much appreciated. :love: Claireabella

BaronImpossible
03-30-2005, 10:09 PM
Dismembered heads are cool, how about making it bigger so we can see the gory details? Gotta be suspended in green gunk, too. My grandmother actually knew someone called Dr De'Ath. Honestly, I'm not kidding. :)

Claireabella
03-31-2005, 06:33 AM
Hi Baron........... yes, there are some about apparently! Think I will get in closer to the scene and yes, the head is suspended in liquid of some sort with various wires and attachments to feed the brain stem........ am putting off the moment to start modelling 'cos I've been looking at everyone else's stuff and don't think I'm even going to get close to the standard that's appearing. Oh well, just got to get on and do it I suppose. I'm just being a Big Girls Blouse about it...........! :eek: Claireabella

Versiden
03-31-2005, 06:50 AM
freaky heads without bodies.. hehe, funky idea... very dark and moody, great atmosphere u can achieve with this, go wild

goodluck on your first human

tilite
03-31-2005, 07:39 AM
interesting concept. cant wait to see how this goes

Kenzor
04-03-2005, 02:57 PM
am putting off the moment to start modelling 'cos I've been looking at everyone else's stuff and don't think I'm even going to get close to the standard that's appearing. Oh well, just got to get on and do it I suppose. I'm just being a Big Girls Blouse about it...........! :eek: Claireabella

Don't worry about it. For me this is a chance to improve rather than a chance to win. Plus we get great support from a good bunch of people.

You've got a very good idea. Have fun with it, and you can't lose :thumbsup:

Claireabella
04-03-2005, 03:47 PM
Thanks Ken for the dose of reality! Have no illusions about winning or even coming close but just don't want to embarass myself too much. Will have a go at it next week. Am just trying various angles and think I have found one I'm happy with so will post that up for comments. Thanks again for your support. It's much appreciated. :) Claireabella

Claireabella
04-04-2005, 01:05 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5816/5816_1112616333_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5816/5816_1112616333_large.jpg)

This is my first WIP since the concept sketch. Have gone in tighter on the characters. Just tried to get a good angle on both with just enough background to give you an idea of the laboratory setting. Any C & C's would be appreciated!

MattGyver
04-04-2005, 05:26 PM
Yes! Perfect! It's post-modern impressionistic anti-cubist art! I love it! :D Seriously, though, I like this tighter view. It would be cool to have the dof set so the background of the lab, or whatever it is, is out of focus. Glad you found time to start working on it. :thumbsup:

Claireabella
04-04-2005, 08:15 PM
Hi Matt. Thanks for checking out my WIP. Will try to get more done this week. I think the scene lighting is going to make the biggest difference. Will just keep going and post stages to get feedback. Still got 44 days left............... :eek: Claireabella

Aethyrprime
04-04-2005, 08:22 PM
I know the shorter time limit makes for speedy gonzallas style art.. hehe. GJ keep it coming...

Claireabella
04-05-2005, 06:51 AM
Yes, well, the instructions did say that this challenge was more about showing emotion rather than technical perfection............ just as well in my case! Think I will work around this shot and see how I get on. Thanks for your support guys. :love: Claireabella

ace4016
04-05-2005, 10:26 AM
Nice start. I hope to see an update soon. Keep going, don't worry about winning or losing, its' all about self-improvement. I like how you zoomed in on the characters. I think maybe you can look at a few "Dexter's Laboratory" scenes (or even "The Professor's" lab from power puff girls) for inspiration on what to put in the background. Good luck, and hope to see more updates from you:thumbsup: .

BlackDidThis
04-06-2005, 08:07 AM
I really liked this angle of view. Has the story more what compact.

How do you plan on making it obviouse that there is a serving obligation from being a servent rather than pity, of a sicentific experiment on the head (Whichwould be a possible interpretation... and completely the opposite of what you went for)?

Mmm would it be a good idea to like make the big guy make a mistake and have the 'head' shouting at him?
Or did I get it all wrong.. and the head has to only think and the servents hands are actually become his own?

Nice concept.. lets see how you'll pull it all off.

I'm tagging along to see how it all goes

Black

Claireabella
04-06-2005, 08:24 AM
Hey Black, good point! I have absolutely no idea how I am going to pull this one off. The Master does have some control over the servant but how far that goes in actually manipulating his limbs I hadn't quite thought of.... yet! Will just have to experiment to see wht works but I like your idea of the Master being cross with the servant for ballsing up - that would get across the relationship. The trouble with the version in my head is that the relationship is also a two way survival one. The servant needs the Masters thoughts to be able to survive himself and of course the Master needs the servant to stay alive too. Complicated! Oh well, will just keep going and see what comes out in the wash. Thanks for your comments, they are much appreciated. :wise: Claireabella

BlackDidThis
04-06-2005, 08:36 AM
Claireabella;
I am more than sure you'll find a work around it. From your first post up, it was more than obvious about the amount of emotions you cared to weigh on your work. This much concentration always ends up with a good result.

I understand your pint about the limbs being obligationally dependent to the head.. You could actually leave to him only demanding things and the servent listening as it is. But the missing links are the bits you want to get over as I get it.

Thats one of the cool things about the 3D competitions. You can go on with your serious modeling and pose them later ;)

Well as I said. I am anxiouse to see where it goes... Good Luck!!

Black

Claireabella
04-06-2005, 08:57 AM
Ok, will be brave and start modelling and worry about the posing element later. Thanks again for your support. :) Claireabella

Versiden
04-06-2005, 11:06 AM
hey Claire, great start to things

I like the position and posture to the guy leaning outside.
I would make the bubble head container device a bit smaller to balance the overall image composition, what do u think?

Claireabella
04-06-2005, 11:35 AM
Hi Martin. Yes, will try to get the balance right between the characters and the setting. Hopefully that angle will enable me to show the emotions between them. Black had a good suggestion of showing the Master being cross with the servant to portray the balance of pwer between them. Thanks for your comments. :thumbsup: Claireabella

DaddyMack
04-06-2005, 11:45 AM
Hi there Claire, standout twist on the concept you've got going!
Will definitely drop round to see where you take it.
Good luck with the process:thumbsup:

jmBoekestein
04-06-2005, 12:03 PM
:sad:You scare me...

:DNice going so far!:thumbsup:

Claireabella
04-06-2005, 12:22 PM
Hi DaddyMack and JM. Thanks for checking out my progress so far. Am using the excuse of being really busy at work to put off starting my character modeling which I haven't done before. Can feel some blood, sweat and tears happening soon! :sad: Cheers guys. Claireabella

WimH
04-06-2005, 03:33 PM
I very much like the idea, you can make it a psycho sphere

looks cool

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=224025&page=3&pp=15

mecman
04-06-2005, 05:02 PM
Nice idea Claire!!! Scary idea ideed! hahaha
Good luck to you!! :thumbsup:

Gunilla
04-06-2005, 05:23 PM
Hi Claire - good start for the composition! You might try to slide the camera a bit to avoid a to straight angle for the elements in the background, just my first thought.

Good luck with the character modeling - I'll be back to cheer you on :thumbsup:

Claireabella
04-06-2005, 07:47 PM
Thanks for your support Guys, promise to load some modeling soon......... I think.......! I will, I will.......... soon......... really.......trust me.......! :shrug: Claireabella

stoat
04-06-2005, 08:09 PM
Perhaps if the servant has a circuit board cut into his head it would show the relationship. Bubbles in the tank when the master is vexed; help make the skin texture a little easier. Maybe some sort of punishment device on the servant.

Are you going for a retro victorian looney scientist look or futuristic? A great idea anyway, I think this one will be much more down to the lighting than a lot of the others. :applause: :applause:

Claireabella
04-06-2005, 08:39 PM
Yes, not quite worked out all the finer details of how to show the subservient relationship. Will have to see how the scene looks - I was going to do a looney lab that is now defunct and cobwebby. Will have to see if I am up to the task! Thanks for the suggestions, they certainly help to focus the mind! :eek: Claireabella

Kanga
04-07-2005, 06:58 AM
Disembodied head,... good one!

One of the challenge requests was to show emotional attatchment so I would swing the scene around and show the head of the doctor full face, screaming, eyes bulging, imploring something of his servant. The servant might look pityingly into his master's face.

Like the concept very much!
Good luck blondy :thumbsup: .

Claireabella
04-07-2005, 07:15 AM
Hey Kanga, thanks for dropping by! I will maybe post some alternative views and see which one gets the vote! Must get going.............. time is whizzing by and I'll be left behind if I don't make a big effort on the modeling. Your suggestions are much appreciated. :thumbsup: Claireabella

blackdragoncg
04-09-2005, 09:11 AM
Hi Claire, You are making good progress here keep going :thumbsup:

Some ideas: :D

Maybe add a base for the head to sit on and make the hoses look more weightless...I think a hose or two into the head would look the part....Maybe add some type of object/s to the table area to break things up a bit...Add some bevels to that sharp edge of the table maybe....If you bring your shot in a little tighter you may be able to get away with modeling just the heads of the characters... almost....well keep it up Claire....lets see what you can suprise us with next update....Rock on :buttrock:

Aethyrprime
04-11-2005, 01:49 AM
Just checking in for updates... :wip: work work work! :P

Claireabella
04-11-2005, 08:33 AM
Hi Guys. You know sometimes real life gets in the way of having fun....... well, one of those times is happening to me right now and I just haven't had a chance to do any more updates. :cry: Hope I will be able to do something more with this challenge before the deadline. I hope so as I could do with a little light relief sometime soon. Catch up with you all soon. :wavey: Claireabella

orion 77
04-11-2005, 08:30 PM
hey claire, thanks for some feedback on my work so far. much apreciated.

Claireabella
04-13-2005, 09:14 AM
Just when you think life can't throw anything else you it does....... MAYA has decided it doesn't want to let me play with my scene file anymore and keeps crashing when I try to open it. Boo. :cry: will see if I can do something about it today. Fingers crossed or else I've got to start again. Claireabella

BlackDidThis
04-14-2005, 05:01 PM
Have you tried to open the back up *.ma file from your temp files? Sometimes that works out (I am guessing you didn't have inscrimental save set to on).

What do you exactly mean by crashing? It opens and you get a pop up? Or it opens, you do something and you get a pop up?
If it is the second option, you may want to try out exporting it as an ascii file. It happens to me from clashing nodes for the mental ray renderer fairly often shall I import another scene. And this usually saves the day.

I hope you can get things handled. And else.. I am sure your next go will be ever better!

Black

Claireabella
04-14-2005, 06:58 PM
Hi Black. Sadly MAYA won't open at all. It gets to about 50% of it's start up routine then it just hangs. When I go to the task manager it says MAYA is not responding. I think it will be quicker and easier just to ditch that one and start again! Thanks for your help though, it is much appreciated. :love: Clairebella

BlackDidThis
04-15-2005, 11:57 AM
Honestly I feel your pain...
She has done that to me also a variaty of times.. luckily I grew a habbit of having incrcrimental saves through out. If nothing to be able to save more often because this really enables you to have some milestones.

Well at least you have a better idea of the changes you have in mind to apply. I am sure that you shall impress the whole of us with thhe newer version of your image :)

Good luck and have fun! :)

Black

Claireabella
04-15-2005, 12:30 PM
Hi Black. Think things are conspiring against me on this challenge :banghead: so will just have to see what I can do. Thanks for your support and hope that I will be maybe have a last minute run at this thing. :argh: Claireabella

Aethyrprime
04-24-2005, 08:45 PM
Sorry to hear about technical difffuculties... happened to me last challege...what a heartbreaker... good luck with that.. try searching for viruses and spy/malware... I could make some suggestions..

Claireabella
04-24-2005, 11:12 PM
Have deleted that scene file and will have to try and find the time to start again. Things are busy at work which is good but leaves little time for the challenge etc. Will just have to see if I can do something before time runs out. Thanks for your suggestions and support. :thumbsup: Claireabella

Lemog
04-25-2005, 06:01 AM
mmmh... it's a very bad news... I hope you find little time to do something, maybe something over, maybe more simple, with less objects... and permit you to do a picture before the deadline... courage :thumbsup:

KennyM
04-26-2005, 09:16 AM
Hey Claire, I hope you find the time to work on this a bit more, or start over as you suggested, but at least to continue the challenge.

I like your concept, detached bodyparts and mutual dependancy, very cool theme imo.:thumbsup:

best of luck and hope you find the time, I would give you some of mine if I had any to spare myself :rolleyes:

Claireabella
04-26-2005, 09:30 AM
Hi Lemog - yes, will need all the courage I can find......! :eek:

Hi Kenny. Thanks for dropping by and for your words of encouragement. They are much needed and appreciated! Well, have tried to make a start over so will hopefully be able to post something soon and just see what happens. Whether I complete it I am not sure but will give it a go. Thanks for the offer of some of your time - that's very sweet of you and would take it if I could! :shrug: Claireabella

Claireabella
04-30-2005, 10:30 AM
Hi Guys. Well, sadly I have to admit defeat and let you know I am not going to be able to finish this challenge. Life has conspired against me on this one but although I may be down I am certainly not out and will be back for future challenges. Good luck to everyone and I look forward to seeing the completed entries for voting. Thanks again to everyone for their support and encouragement, it has been much appreciated. :thumbsup: Claireabella

BlackDidThis
04-30-2005, 10:50 AM
That's some really bad news.. I am sorry for this round to not have worked with you.

Well it is always fun to try things out :) The only thing we can take with us is our experiences ... so you have gained some of the more important if nothing:thumbsup:

Shall be looking forward for your entry on the next challange then?

Black

Claireabella
04-30-2005, 11:05 AM
Hi Black. Thanks for your words of wisdom. Yes, have learnt you can't always do everything you want you - there are priorities and times when you just have to get on and do the less exciting things and get through hard times without distractions! Hopefully things will be more settled by the time the next challenge comes round. :shrug: Claireabella

MattGyver
04-30-2005, 11:22 PM
Well, crud. Sorry you can't get it finished in time. Life gets like that sometimes. But we'll see you in here the next time around. :thumbsup:

Claireabella
05-01-2005, 09:04 AM
Hi Matt. Yes, it's just one of those times I'm afraid! Oh well, hope to be back to normal by the time the next one comes round. Good luck with yours, it's looking good. :bounce: Claireabella

CGTalk Moderation
05-01-2005, 09:04 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.