PDA

View Full Version : Master and Servant 2D Entry: Jeremy Love

Jezzarts
03-22-2005, 07:11 AM
Jeremy Love has entered the Master and Servant 2D.

Challenge Page (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/masterandservant/view_entries.php?challenger=5792)

Latest Update: Final Image: Nemos Fate
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5792/5792_1116486817_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5792/5792_1116486817_large.jpg)

I thought I\'d completed all my milestones... I had uploaded my TIFF file but I think I\'ve forgotten to upload my final image JPG... so here it is.

Jezzarts
03-22-2005, 10:32 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5792/5792_1111534356_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5792/5792_1111534356_large.jpg)

Hi all.. Well it's finaly here! Time to get started so here goes...

I must say that when I read the theme, I instantly started thinking of escaped servants or prisoners being caught in a trap not far from thier place of missery or a caged beast being taunted by it's master. Pretty morbid I know... then I realised I should think outside of what I would expect to see.

Well this is what I've come up with for now at least. It's basically King Neptune with his fishy servants around him. He has a shark on a leash as you would a dog. it needs work but I thought I better start sketching just in case I forgot! I'm thinking he could even have sunnies and board shorts on and be wearing flip flops!

I'm not sure wether to develope the serious idea I have shown here or the more stylised comical version...

stay tuned and good luck to everyone!!!

Jez

Squibbit
03-22-2005, 10:57 PM
dood, very nice start ! welcome back and enjoy !

sketchfiend
03-22-2005, 11:00 PM
Looks like a great idea mate, cant wait to see some tighter sketches. Keep it up.:thumbsup:

M477
03-22-2005, 11:04 PM
Really nice first sketch, I'm loving the idea and it's originality - good luck! :thumbsup:

Jezzarts
03-22-2005, 11:09 PM
Thanks guys! best of luck :thumbsup:

element5
03-22-2005, 11:40 PM
:applause: A good start my friend.

DyslexicDan
03-22-2005, 11:54 PM
Ooh cool idea. I’m really glad “the management” is letting us use our interpolation as much as they have because a lot of the ideas that have pop up are really fun and yours looks like its going to be something really cool. Hope it pans out and good luck.

SideAche
03-23-2005, 12:10 AM
Good Luck Jeremy!

ravioli_rancher
03-23-2005, 05:56 AM
Wow!

I hope you choose the surf board Neptune. :buttrock:

You could give him jail house tats, nipple jewlery, ZZ top facial hair, saggy boobs, whatever.

The cartoon shark might be trickier, though maybe you could make it female, with big lips, eyelashes, a lurid gaze, and provocative swimwear, all suggesting King Neptune gets a chub for carnivorous fish.

Anyway, good launch.

:applause:

SteveNewport
03-23-2005, 06:01 AM
great first sketch man, great hand

i know it's the first milestone, but it's never too early for some criticism:-P
It looks really good, but just make sure you're really focusing on emphasizing the relationship between the two personalities in the work/ Right now it's kind of a pose with different character elements in it, see what you can do to make the connections between them.

great work, look forward to seeing it develop!

Jezzarts
03-23-2005, 06:21 AM
Mark - Cheers mate, looking forward to seeing your ideas

DyslexicDan - Thanks! Your right, the scope is endless... lets hope everyone puts thier imaginations on high grill!

SideAche - Good luck to you also ; )

ravioli_rancher - LOL Right On!!! this is what I had pictured for the comic version. i might just have to try this... I hadnt thought of the shark being female, this does something for the relationship between characters for sure. Thanks for the ideas!!

Steve Newport - Thank you, you've got a good point there. I'll put my brain onto it!

lhz
03-23-2005, 07:43 PM
Wow dude, i can´t believe it...:surprised I made a few sketches and ideas and i decided - ok, i´m in, but first let´s sneak around to see if my idea isn´t close to anyone´s. ::LOL:: My sketch was a queen mermaid like with two BIG sharks on a leash, like a chain ::LOL::

I loved your concept, and your other ideas too, because I´m into surfing and would like to paint something related to the ocean, or ocean mithology. Anyway....:blush::buttrock: I´m gonna be here everyday to check it out.

Good luck! And now heading back to the brainstorms:)

Jezzarts
03-24-2005, 06:59 AM
Noooooooooo your kidding!! you wont believe what my next sketch is... I did it yesterday after thinking about it some more... yep two sharks. I really liked the idea of the shark on a leash but thought that If you were Neptune, you would pretty much own the ocean and wouldnt need to restrain your own fish!!

I also read the rules and it states that their must be a human element. I would'nt say that Neptune is human so I decided to change things a little...

Ok, Neptune rules the ocean and has a hierarchy of different fish etc at his disposal. He uses his guard fish (sharks) to take humans hostage and use them as servants... much like Captain Nemo. The servants have breathing apparatus issued to them so they can live underwater.

In an ironic twist, Nemo himself is brought before Neptune by the sharks... and this will be the setting for my new composition. It seems that masters can become servants in an instant.

Hopefully this should fit the challenge theme a little better. - Jez

Kyena
03-24-2005, 07:44 AM
You found Nemo??

(sorry couldn't help ;))

looking forward to see your next sketch :)

OKMER
03-24-2005, 08:26 AM
Hi there!!!great start.You got a nice theme there,and I'm sure youll have loads of fun with that one!!Good luck!!!

Tranchefeux
03-24-2005, 04:55 PM
Hi

All my encouragement for new challenge Good starting
Good luck

Tariq12
03-24-2005, 05:03 PM
Cool underwater theme. Can't wait to see it in colour.

T.
My Master & Servant :
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=222506

AirbORn
03-24-2005, 05:05 PM
Great start! I like the relationship between master and servant in your composition. Interesting too, I have not seen a sea king in a while :) Best of luck to you!

Jezzarts
03-29-2005, 10:21 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5792/5792_1112095317_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5792/5792_1112095317_large.jpg)

I've been away from my computer over Easter but managed to do a very rough sketch while sitting in my tent!

I think Neptune may be a little too big and am thinking of tightening up the composition considerably... probably to have the viewer standing just behind nemo and the sharks looking up a Neptune. I'll add more fish and maybe a large guard creature next to Neptune. I need to change the direction of one of the sharks that are circling Nemo.

I'm back on my wacom tonight... it was a little strange using an actual pen!

paulwdavidson
03-29-2005, 10:45 AM
This is a fantastic idea,,,,,,love it. I don't know if you're happy and keeping the pose of him on the throne (which is great, by the way ) but it would be great to see him in all of his glory doing something dynamic at the surface etc Remember Jason and the Argonauts, where he bursts out of the sea to save Jason. Well you could try having him summoning his servants of the deep.......to destroy Nemo.....

Getting carried away there, it's just that i love this sort of subject matter.

Did i tell you that i think this is a fantastic idea, and that i love it?

Paul

Jezzarts
03-29-2005, 10:53 AM
Woooah cool ideas! my mind is going to explode if i dont sketch something.:eek:

Dam... pitty I'm at work. - Thanks Paul

ANARKY
03-29-2005, 09:04 PM
Interesting concept here. I like it, and will be interested to see where you take it.

Aethyrprime
03-30-2005, 02:28 PM
Great start. Two fantastic sketches. Very nice theme going with Neptune. Are you a water sign... ;) Anyway, I will be checking back to see how things develop. GJ!

Gamoron
03-30-2005, 02:41 PM
I like it. Has really great potential, but I hope you make Poseidon/Neptune's court more oppulent. It would be really cool to see all this really decorative coral and algae all over the place and birghtly coloured fish. Nice stuff!
:beer:

lhz
03-30-2005, 04:02 PM
That´s a very nice progress considering the last one.There´s more story in it.
I agree with you that Neptune might be a little too big. I also think that the sharks could be bigger, and why not trying to atack the guy and neptune is hardly holding them on leashes...hehehe just a tought! :D

And yeah - a real pen it feels strange! :cool:

Aloha

Jezzarts
03-30-2005, 10:56 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5792/5792_1112226992_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5792/5792_1112226992_large.jpg)

Back again... well I'm not too worried about detail at the moment. Just trying to get a decent composition, so any comments are most definately welcome! I might zoom in a bit on this as the characters seem a little small... - jez

walrus
03-30-2005, 11:27 PM
Wow, that's easily my favorite of your layouts so far. Really cool! Zooming in is okay, but not too far, we still want to be able to see the gorgeous setting that you've laid out! Good luck with it all...

-mike

lanedaughtry
03-30-2005, 11:44 PM
This piece is looking amazing.

I love the surreal quality you can achieve with underwater environments and it looks like your poised to capture just that.

I'll crit when there's more progress. Nothin but admiration at the moment.

-L

paulwdavidson
03-31-2005, 07:42 AM
As you know, I'm a huge fan of this sort of subject (That's why i jumped at the chance for an underwater scene in Machineflesh)

Just a couple of comments, based on this info on the guy (at the bottom):

I like your composition, and environment, and the scale of Nemo in the shot is right, but it might be worth enlarging Neptune to fill a much larger part of your scene........a huge God like prescence to compound the scale. At the moment it looks like he's about to get up and kick Nemo's arse (which isn't a bad thing) but he may look more powerful just standing there looking down on him, or something less animated.

I like what you've done, I suppose what i'm trying to say is.....Neptune needs to look more intimidating!

Sorry for the waffle!

Keep going

Paul

Neptune (Greek Poseidon) was the god of the Sea, a kingdom he populated with creatures of his own design. An Olympian and one of Saturn’s six children with Rhea, he pounded and shook the Earth and sea with wrath and pleasure, answering to no one but Zeus. In The Iliad and The Odyssey he was know as the "Earth shaker" and "Earth encircler." He rode the waves in a chariot drawn by dolphins, but his most honored creation was the horse.

Jezzarts
03-31-2005, 12:35 PM
walrus - Thanks mate, I'm getting there... slowly... wish I could spend a full day on it.

lane_daughtry - Thank you! I'm looking forward to doing my line art... composition is my weakest point I think. I got my girfriend to get some reference books from the library today so should be able to add all sorts of new creatures to this. I dont want to directly use any real world creatures though... to keep it slightly original :)

Paul Davidson - Hey thanks for the great info! and the good advice. Your right, Neptune is too small. I went too far in the other direction from my second concept. It would work out better with him bigger as I get to put more detail into him that way. I'll take your advice about Neptune being less animated as well... maybe have a slightly animated pet or servant by his side... Cheers!! - your Machineflesh entry rocks by the way.:buttrock:

mack72
03-31-2005, 12:38 PM
I like this new comp much better, but I think it would look nicer if you made nice Mr. Neptune alittle more ominous. Make him more regal, possibly staring down at the intrepid explorer/diver bloke. This should make for a really strong piece.

Cheers
Mack

kaparo
03-31-2005, 06:41 PM
Hi Jeremy, nice concept. I like the undersea ambience a lot. As you said, tha characters look too small, I think some zoom will be great and less space over them too. The joke of Natasha about Nemo makes me think in some more caricaturesque aproach to the sharks. Well, at least more humanized actitudes on them. Just ideas, I dont know... Good luck!

THE Wizard
03-31-2005, 09:48 PM
This is beautifull, refreshing and cool!

My MaSteR&ServAnT 2D (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=225858)

Jezzarts
03-31-2005, 09:58 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5792/5792_1112309895_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5792/5792_1112309895_large.jpg)

Here is a quick sketch of what Neptune could look like... I'm trying to deside if he should be sitting or standing.

Jezzarts
03-31-2005, 10:13 PM
mack72 - Thanks, I'm finding it difficult to get a picture in my head (probably too tyred) ... I really do want him to look all powerfull... so will have to find some decent references I think. I should have done that already:rolleyes: Cheers for the feedback!

kaparo - Cheers, Natasha's Nemo joke cracked me up... 'Finding Nemo' would be an appropriate title... hang on it's taken. What am I going to call this!!? I am going to have to change this composition a bit as it does need zooming. I like your idea about the sharks expressions... one could be snarling at him and the other have a goofy look on it's face :)

THE Wizard - Thanks, glad you feel envigorated!

Jezzarts
03-31-2005, 10:40 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5792/5792_1112312430_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5792/5792_1112312430_large.jpg)

Thought I'd throw this guy into the mix to see how he looks with the current pose... I had to flip him so he was looking at Nemo but it kind of fits. I've cropped the image as well.

StealthPharaoh
04-01-2005, 06:41 AM
nice work man..i like the concept..very different and it's the first underwater scene i've seen so far..
good luck :)

SEL
04-01-2005, 07:16 AM
JUst wanted to stop in tonight to say really nice rendering with your pieace. I llove to see form and all the places the pancil or pen travel,. It really gives you a sense of how an artist works, its great to see you hold nothing back. Great work and idea! I look forward to more updates!

SEL

cgkrusty
04-01-2005, 07:18 AM
I like the concept though I feel Neptune is a little traditional. I think if you pushed him more towards sea creature and less towards human he could be more interesting.

As well... I think if Nemo was floating that would help with the underwater feel and would allow for a more dramatic / dynamic pose.

Regardless... a cool concpet that I'm looking forward to watching evolve!

Jezzarts
04-01-2005, 07:30 AM
Stealth Pharaoh - cheers! :)

SEL - Thanks, this is one of the reasons I love these challenges so much... it's not often you get to see the behind the scenes workings of so many great artists. To me the concepts and lead up is the best part!!

cgkrusty - Thanks for pointing that out, I totally agree. My first idea was to have Neptune with no nose and weird gills and fins!... I chickened out but might try it on for size. Great idea about nemo floating... would that be logical? I know it would look cool. Cheers.

mack72
04-01-2005, 07:46 AM
Love the new sketch. But...what if you had him in an ultr regal type pose, very classical, I don't know, let's say sitting, bending forward, elbow on his knee, hand on his chin, looking intently at Nemo (floating would be quite cool, why would Neptune live in a cave with no water?!). This way he could have his hair/seaweed all swirly, and he could have some sea creatures around him, whales, mermaids, whatever!

Definately try a version with no nose, and gills and other crazy underwater features, his form only has to be humanlike. He is a god! Plus, if you do him seated, or some such pose, you could make him even bigger, and go to town with the details!

Or I could be talking rubbish! Still an awesome concept either way!

duddlebug
04-01-2005, 08:00 AM
Cool idea...

And i'm with a lot of what Mack said. I think a more regal pose. Regal but powerful. Or something similar to this but with an elaborate throne (like the earlier sketches). And a cave full of water makes sense to me, so Nemo would look fine (and perfectly logical!) if he was floating between the sharks.

And just to carry on mimicking Mack... i reckon it'd be well worth trying a less-human face on Neptune. At least try it... you might just like it... :)

Jezzarts
04-01-2005, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the good feedback mack72 & duddlebug! I'd never intended for the cave to be void of water!... in regards to Nemo floating... I was thinking more in terms of his weight with all that heavy gear on... I'll try him floating though. Yes there will definately be loads of wierd looking creatures and sea plants around... I'll add these as soon as I get the two main characters sorted. You guys are right about Neptune's apearance... more regal but less traditional with gills and fins etc.... ok, stay tunned for the next update!!

Thanks to everyone whos taken the time to comment.... It's a GREAT help! :thumbsup:

Xtronik
04-01-2005, 10:27 AM
Very nice work so far!
Nothing to critic. U could use the name "Poseidon" as its the original Greek name of "Neptune"

Cheers!

SideAche
04-02-2005, 01:52 AM
Hey Jeremy, good stuf going on here :thumbsup: I knd of like nemo grounded. I get the feeling that he is in a modified bell suit with the waited shoes. I really like the pose that you have Nemo in now. What if you ancor him to the ground, from his arms, as if he has been captured and is waiting for neptunes judgement. Just a thought. Nice going!

pushav
04-02-2005, 01:57 AM
Yes! a god-type theme. this should be great.

Jezzarts
04-02-2005, 10:58 AM
Xtronik - Thanks!... Poseidon is a cool name no doubt but I'm thinking that everyone knows who the master is without having to name him but maybe not so with Nemo. So, I thought that the title could be more suggestive of the fact that Nemo is doomed to become Neptunes servant. Maybe something like 'Nemo's Fate' or something, cheers!

SideAche - I'm thinking the same thing about the suit, I think I'll keep him grounded, I like the pose also. having him chained by his arms is a great idea and would look cool... would the sharks be needed?... yeah of course they would... to taunt him a bit as they eye him up as if they would rather just eat him instead... "can we master! can we eat em!! Pleeeeaaase!"

pushav - Thanks, I hope so:)

NOOB!
04-02-2005, 11:05 AM
cool,i like gods,hope u can go well with that concept.

am7
04-02-2005, 12:44 PM
Cool concept, I always was a sucker for underwater scenes and this really got my interest right away! Keep working on it!

CoreyArtE
04-02-2005, 04:57 PM
Hey jeremy! I love everything about this picture! We have very similar color schemes! Must be because our last names are so similar! :D Man this piece makes me want to change the composition of my own picture! Err darn your abilities to inspire and determine! I also checked out your site...Very sweet works! I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread!

Jezzarts
04-02-2005, 05:01 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5792/5792_1112464901_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5792/5792_1112464901_large.jpg)

This is a quick concept to explore the idea of a less traditional looking Neptune.

artjunkie
04-02-2005, 05:15 PM
That new design is VERY interesting... I like it alot. Keep going, I'm digging your concept and await further updates! Cheers,

my 2D entry:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=222438

NOOB!
04-02-2005, 05:17 PM
yeh man,looks impressive.

MechaHateChimp
04-02-2005, 10:04 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5792/5792_1112226992_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5792/5792_1112226992_large.jpg)

Back again... well I'm not too worried about detail at the moment. Just trying to get a decent composition, so any comments are most definately welcome! I might zoom in a bit on this as the characters seem a little small... - jez

Hi Jeremy,

Thank you for your comment for my entry and sorry I didnt reply soon enough. Out of all the sketches so far, I like this one the best. What draws me to it the most is the initial confrontation... almost like "Who the hell is this?" and then the tension of what will happen next. The subject you chose is probably one of the best Ive seen so far, I really do like the idea of the deep sea diver running into the Neptune. the sharks swimming around him are also a nice touch. Excellent work and thank you again for your comment!

Jezzarts
04-03-2005, 09:18 AM
artjunkie - thanks mate, I'd go a bit pale if I met this guy... Now I've just got to figure out a "regal" pose!

NOOB! - cool, glad you like em!

am7 - Underwater scenes rock! I've never tried one before except for silly airbrushed murals on walls with dolphins and shipwrecks.

CoreyArtE - Thanks Corey! I'm having much better results with this challenge. Hey, dont even think about changin your entry!! It's awsome! Yep.. ahhh..I'm loving the love in this thread.. he he :D sorry bad joke. - cheers - jez

Mecha Hate Chimp - thank you for the comments, you make a good point about Neptunes pose in that concept ... I'm thinking that it just doesnt have the energy it could have. I still need to work on his pose so hopefully I'll crack it :thumbsup:

am7
04-05-2005, 12:22 PM
Your concept is soooo cool! :scream: but all concepts can be improved! I think maybe you'r overall feeling of the composition is abit static? A calm flow can be good sometimes in certain pictures, but I feel you have so much action going on here. Perhaps it would help some if you would clip the image from the upper left corner, down to the sharks + man, and on right keep just a small amount of space from the sea-god. And maybe a different pose on the king?

Hope this helps! Keep it up! I know it's gonna rock in the end! :)

element5
04-05-2005, 12:43 PM
Hello my friend, Some nice developments here, Hey I like neptune big but his pose seems a litle to static. Maybe some aggression and a sideways glance at the little dude. Those sharks are so cool...but where are the mermaids..hehe

Great work

mack72
04-05-2005, 01:23 PM
Hey Jezzarts. Love the Neptune concept. I tjink it'll work just right, making him look less human and more 'god-like'. Maybe you could try swirly tentacle type hair or even seaweed/reeds? Maybe not!

Anyway, looking awesome as ever!
Cheers
Mack

Jezzarts
04-05-2005, 09:24 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5792/5792_1112736252_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5792/5792_1112736252_large.jpg)

To try and fix the problem of Neptune being a little static, I've sketched him in swim mode! Hopefully this will flow better and be a bit more dynamic.

spacesnail
04-05-2005, 09:50 PM
For me, the latest Neptune pose is the best.:thumbsup:
I wonder how you'll set it in your picture (concept 3)... if you want to do so : the place seems a little too small

Jezzarts
04-05-2005, 10:04 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5792/5792_1112738695_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5792/5792_1112738695_large.jpg)

Here's the new Neptune thrown into the old composition... I think it works pretty well. I might just be able to start my lineart! This is going to be a handfull to paint so I'd better get cracking soon!

spacesnail
04-05-2005, 10:13 PM
I've got my answer...
Superb job

Good luck

Gamoron
04-05-2005, 10:24 PM
Holy changes Batman! I look the most recent composition you drawn. It is much more dynamic then the originals. Nice work.
:beer:

Jezzarts
04-05-2005, 10:26 PM
am7 - Thanks, I've taken your advice about the scene being a little static. Hopefully my newest concept will fix this.

element5 - Hey Mark, I hear ya... mermaids mmmmmmm. Hopefully the scene is a bit more dynamic now

mack72 - Thanks for your comments! tentical hair, now we're talkin! cheers

spacesnail - Cheers, I like it better than the rest also. If he doesnt fit, I'll make his cave bigger!

Slav
04-05-2005, 10:32 PM
very nice aqua scene!i cant wait till you hit that up with some more color... well other then blue.

element5
04-05-2005, 10:43 PM
:applause: latest composition is great, that neptune fits very well.

cgkrusty
04-06-2005, 01:26 AM
Beautiful... you really needed one of the main figures in motion... I think having Neptune be the one is a great choice! Very dynamic and Nemo's (?) stance works perfectly now...

:buttrock:

Jezzarts
04-06-2005, 07:42 AM
spacesnail - You did indeed, thanks!

Gamoron - LOL ...you do realise you had both batman and dynamic in the same post! Thanks mate, I think this flows nicely now.

Slav - I cant wait to colour this, cheers... and yes there will be other colours!:thumbsup:

element5 - Thanks! I'm gona run rith it.

cgkrusty - Thank you! I'm going to have Nemo held down by chains I think... to really push the point of the Master & Servant relationship. Neptune isnt taking any chances as he's not sure what to expect from Nemo.

cgkrusty
04-06-2005, 09:53 AM
I think the chains might be a bit much BUT they could give you a reason to have Nemo in a great gotta-get-outta-here pullin' on the chains pose.

Exploring the idea of no chains...

I think the sharks circling really make it seem like Nemo is being held captive and you can always show exasperation with a burst of bubbles from his head and a slight head tilt away from Neptune (or something like that). In my mind that makes the chains a bit redundant.

I just think the chains might (might) be a bit too obvious and you have so many other possibilities to convey that concept at your disposal already in the scene.

Gonna be great regardless!!!

:thumbsup:

pogonip
04-06-2005, 10:03 AM
You have it now with that last concept ! I think that when you finish that it'll blow some socks off ! I love that concepting style btw never tried anything like that but using that blue technique is very interesting it really pushes the light and makes the mind do interesting things when looking at the picture. I'll be waiting for updates eagerly !!:buttrock:

edit: I looked at your website ( awesome artworks btw ) . I read your bio and It's crazy that you are that new to concept art because you have a nack for it without a doubt and you probebly could get some good gigs doing fantasy art if this painting turns out to be as good as I imagine it will :thumbsup:

Jezzarts
04-06-2005, 10:34 AM
cgkrusty - Yeah I think you'r right, the sharks are enough... plus, the sharks are great hunters, but I doubt they could put shackles on him no matter how much they wanted to!! I had a big burst of bubbles coming from Nemo's helmet in my previous concepts but you cant see it because of the light rays. Great sugestions mate, I'm going to have fun doing this.

pogonip - Wow, you've blown my socks off! Thanks for the kind words... I sometimes wonder If I'm making the right career change but feedback like that reassures me that I'm on the right track! Thank you.

Ok! stay tuned for the Linework!! Yayyyeee!!:bounce:

mack72
04-06-2005, 11:16 AM
Afternoon sir! Love this final concept, I believe you have nailed it! One little suggestion, maybe make Neptune larger, more ominous, really fill the space. I only suggest this because I love the design of the Neptune guy, and I want to see it close up!

Awesome concept!
Cheers,
Mack

duddlebug
04-06-2005, 11:35 AM
Cool!! Great new Neptune. Really dynamic!!

Although, like what Mack said, it might be worth playing with the scale a bit... trying him a bit larger...?

Good update...

paulwdavidson
04-06-2005, 11:46 AM
I agree with Mack and Duddle.......can't harm to try!

Paul

am7
04-06-2005, 08:33 PM
Hey man! yep, the new more dynamic god helped alot! :) So much more alive now! Keep it up!

artjunkie
04-10-2005, 12:57 PM
Nice new design and I love the latest post for composition! They seem a bit small though... maybe they need to take up more room in the composition (closer cropping, perhaps?)

Looking great! Can't wait to see you start on the paints.

Cheers!

ravioli_rancher
04-11-2005, 04:35 AM
Jezzarts,

Slick. The Neptune head is part Abe Sapien, part Flukeman, yet distinct enough from each.

If you choose the latest sketch, I think Nemo should be putting up a bit more of a struggle. Neptune's trident is rather large, afterall, and really pointy. Maybe have Nemo lean and twist to the foreground, head turned toward the viewer, pulling on his chains.

Glad to see none of the sharks are wearing lipstick. :)

Intimidating work all around.

Jezzarts
04-12-2005, 10:16 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5792/5792_1113344189_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5792/5792_1113344189_large.jpg)

Starting to line Neptune out. I've made his top half about 140% bigger to fill some space...

Jezzarts
04-12-2005, 10:25 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5792/5792_1113344758_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5792/5792_1113344758_large.jpg)

...I havn't got much done on this in the last week as I've been on holiday in Madrid...life is hard! : D

I have managed to start the lineart. Thought I'd post these to stay on the map but wont be posting again untill my lineart milestone is done.

Man I hope I finish this before I get real busy! Better get moving. - Jez

grf
04-13-2005, 06:43 AM
Some nice line art going here. The diver's stance is looking pretty natural. Like Neptune's staff a lot!

Korline
04-13-2005, 07:30 AM
" you found Nemo" like that one,
anyway pretty clever, like the diver suite

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=224972

paulwdavidson
04-13-2005, 08:12 AM
I like the design a lot.....i don't know if you know this, but this period of design is my favourite. I have folders and folders of reference for this kind of thing, and i just wanted to let you know that you've done a great job.....very convincing.

Well done.........this is going to be a lovely piece.

Paul

Jezzarts
04-13-2005, 10:19 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5792/5792_1113430765_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5792/5792_1113430765_large.jpg)

Well, here's my lineart milestone which is not as detailed as I'd like but time is short and I need to keep the background subtle anyway. I've tried to work out the main contrast areas and will continue to nut it out when I do my first colouring.

Once I'm on track with my painting, I'll add creatures here and there as I go... not too sure what style I'm going to paint in yet. I've always been a fan of the way Boris Vallejo paints his backgrounds so might try something along the same lines. I think the main mistake I made with my GSO entry (other than rushing it) was making the whole painting of similar detail and value... a mistake I dont want to make again! Hopefully only the characters will have detail... although I tend to get carried away. Anyhow! on with the colour!!

arkinet
04-13-2005, 10:29 PM
awesome line art!! i'd suggest some mean-devilish curling eel at the bottom...

pogonip
04-13-2005, 10:42 PM
Fan f-ing tastic line art keep goin !

Jezzarts
04-14-2005, 07:15 AM
mack72 - Thanks! hope he's big enough now to get some decent detail into. Dont really want to change his pose as it seems to flow well and probably would have to to make him any larger.

duddlebug - Cheers mate, he's bigger now ...actually I could fatten him up a bit as well? I'm going to use a scaley texture to help show how long he is... should work well.

Paul Davidson - Your right.. didnt hurt a bit ; ) ... thanks

am7 - Thanks for the confidence!

artjunkie - Cheers for the comments, I cant wait to ...'dive' into this... :D

ravioli_rancher - He's actually Abe's distant ancestor! he he... not really. I've liked the idea of Nemo in chains from the begining and agree it would look great but after thinking about it, I decided to have him as if he's just been brought to the cave and shoved along by the sharks. It's all happening a bit quick for Nemo...hence the bewildered stance. No lipstick sorry... shark drag night was yesterday... :)

R Frederickson - Thanks, I posed for that :D

Korline - Yes! stop looking everybody! Thanks, the aqualung will be all copper and brass looking... very retro and stylish of course.

Paul Davidson - Thanks Paul, hope I do it justice with the painting.... something tells me you really like this subject matter... :thumbsup:

arkinet - Thank you! I'm planning on adding a few critters here and there.. and of course there will be an ugly eel.

pogonip - wow thanks... wish I had longer to doodle on this but it will be fine to paint from.

spacesnail
04-14-2005, 07:32 AM
Yeah ! Real nice line art !
I was awaiting it for a long time :bounce: :bounce:
Waiting now for the colour phase !

Bon courage

jugeras
04-14-2005, 08:54 AM
a bit bothered by the mermans mouth. maybe its just me. anyway cant wait to see your coloring.

tnx for passing by. cheeeeeeers maaaaaaaan.

Goro
04-14-2005, 11:43 AM
very nice lineart and great concept!

Can't wait to see the coloring

bigjoe
04-14-2005, 09:12 PM
Great job! Nice anatomy. Liked the first concept more than this composition tho. It just seemed more epic. It was definitely not as exciting as this render but it could be tweaked. Keep it up :)

Joe

Jezzarts
04-16-2005, 02:19 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5792/5792_1113661140_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5792/5792_1113661140_large.jpg)

I've finally managed to snag a full day to work on this... allowing for a much needed sleep in of course! I should be able to make some progress this weekend... yipee.

Ok first off, just blocking in some basic colours using the acrylic brush and a low opacity setting. My main objective at this stage is to establish a balance in tones and a depth of field. Because this is underwater, objects that are far away need to be faint and hazy with closer objets having deeper tones and more definition. I will paint the characters last as the scene will determine how much light to project on them and where.

I dont want to put too much detail into the background as to really make the characters stand out. If anything, a little detail around the area where the action is happening... hopefully this will also help the illusion of DOF.

Ok, onto the good stuff!

Maidith
04-16-2005, 03:05 PM
Stunning atmosphere, this made me jawdrop. The almost twilight-like scene, the whole background, fantastic! :applause:
Can't wait to see how you paint further. *_*

Squibbit
04-16-2005, 03:12 PM
Stunning atmosphere, this made me jawdrop. The almost twilight-like scene, the whole background, fantastic! :applause:
Can't wait to see how you paint further

ditto :thumbsup:

artjunkie
04-16-2005, 04:42 PM
LOVE your approach concerning the colours on this... those hazy cool lights really do make it feel like it's underwater. Nice combination on using the warms near the bottom of the painting too. Awesome stuff... keep goin' bro... Can't wait to see more!

Cheers!

CoreyArtE
04-16-2005, 04:48 PM
Jeremy let me just say that your doing an incredible job thus far !

As for crits let me just say that I really wish you had more blue in the picture. Theres hardly any noticeable blue hues at all! And thats a problem for me cause i love blue! Too much brown and green, seriously reconsider the color scheme a bit by messing around with it some more. Also I like the master and all, but I sorta think he's at an odd angle, I dont know why but I lvoed the master you had with the legs more so than the fishier one. Maybe you could somehow combine them? Make the background reseble that f a master, throw some riches in there, throw some dead mermaids or dead sea explorers int here. I am a big fan and I know you would never disappoint, I justw ant to see you to push this to the next level ! Good luck Jeremy, your work is absoultely stunning !:thumbsup:

Vectorius
04-16-2005, 04:52 PM
:scream: HOOOOOOOO!! background is wonderful!! i like it i like it!!:)

I just want to tell you that you should maybe put a "human" face to your poseidon character...it's just my personal feeling.. it's going good.

GOOD LUCK

Jezzarts
04-17-2005, 09:34 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5792/5792_1113730487_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5792/5792_1113730487_large.jpg)

Hey all, havn't had as much time as I thought but managed to start on some detail. I discovered something that may be common knowledge to most artists... on the last challenge, I painted most of my entry at 100% which was pretty close! I've realised that just because the image needs to be a certain resolution for print... doesnt mean you have to paint at that. I've been painting at 50% which gives me a much better idea of what the painting will look like when viewed on screen... detail is great but not at the expense of the painting! Just another little thing I've learnt in the transition from traditional to digital. man, it's sooo much quicker and more enjoyable to paint now... here is the actual res I'm painting at... cheers

spacesnail
04-17-2005, 01:40 PM
Hi Jeremy
You're totally right about painting at 50% resolution. Anyhow, it's fun to add details. Someone said once : "God is in the details". Maybe Neptune could have some incrusted shrimps, shells, etc ... to look more ancient ?

Great mood :thumbsup:. Don't forget the bubbles coming out the man's swin suit.

pushav
04-17-2005, 04:16 PM
I never really paint at 100 percent. When applying loose colors and lighting, it is better to zoom out and do it to make sure everything flows together. I only paint at 100 percent or more when ever i am ready to paint over my lines. Nice coloring so far.

Jezzarts
04-18-2005, 10:26 AM
spacesnail - thanks mate, best of luck to you too :)

jugeras - I noticed that as well, I'll fix that up when I paint him... cheers!

jbig808 - yeah I think any one of the layouts might have worked ok but I think this one leads the eye around the picture more. Thanks for your Comments!

Maidith - Thats the look I'm going for...thanks! Hopefully the finishing touches like volumetric lighting, bubbles and floaty bits will help this become more convincing.

Squibbit - Thanks Squibbit, your work cracks me up... in a good way of course:thumbsup:

artjunkie - Thank you, I've got a fair bit of coral and little fish to paint *shudder*

CoreyArtE - dead mermaids!! OMG live ones maybe ; ) Thanks for all your suggestions, hopefully if I have enough time, I can add some of them to this. I gave Neptune a more merman appearence as he was looking a little too traditional... should look ok when I'm finished with the bubbles and scales etc. Oh and yes there will be hues of blue also... it's going to take a bit of playing around with... I need to look at some decent underwater reference. Cheers!!

Fiolka Alexandre - Thanks for the comments mate, I'm going to stick with the fishy Neptune as it's a little diferent than the norm... Nemo is my human element although you cant see his face... he's got a helmet on anyway. Gives him a bit of mystery... hows that :thumbsup:

spacesnail - Thanks again mate, good idea about the barnacles.. maybe even some cleaner fish he he.. dont worry there will be bubbles...ohhhh there will be bubbles

pushav - Yeah, it's the way to go.. I need a better monitor though as I get jaged lines and pixelation... still easier though, thanks!

camtheman
04-19-2005, 03:00 PM
I love your idea man! This is going to rock. I cant wait to see the final. Good luck to you!
I like the fish-type character for Neptune, I think the more you can push this to your own original vision the better. So I noticed you're using Painter... Do you prefer it to Photoshop? I have a copy, maybe I need to start using it more...

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

kaparo
04-19-2005, 10:07 PM
Hi Jeremy. A while has past since I saw it last time. It is going great! Yeah, screen resolution is a real problem if we have small size screen. I am working in a 14 inches monitor and I cant stand it anymore. Need a change quickly. Anyway I do not work at just one size. Sometimes I paint 1/1, some time zooming, etc. Great work! Good luck! :applause:

Jezzarts
04-20-2005, 10:21 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5792/5792_1114035710_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5792/5792_1114035710_large.jpg)

I spent about an hour on this tonight, just roughly sketching in some more detail around the top half of the background. I'll keep passing over the image from top to bottom till I'm happy or until I run out of time. I may re-work Neptune's pose later on to get him even bigger... not sure yet. Anyway, only a small update.

paulwdavidson
04-20-2005, 10:37 PM
That looks gorgeous

Paul

Slav
04-20-2005, 10:57 PM
this is wicked awesome. i so do very much enjoy aqua scapes. keep updates comming!

spacesnail
04-21-2005, 12:51 PM
Nice work on the background :thumbsup:
Keep going on

am7
04-24-2005, 09:02 AM
It's been a while since I last visited you'r thread! W O W, I must say that your colorscheme is looking great! Get that mystical lagoonish feeling of thoose blue-greenish values. Keep it up!

Jezzarts
04-27-2005, 11:48 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5792/5792_1114602480_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5792/5792_1114602480_large.jpg)

Man the work from everybody in this challenge is the best yet I think... more of it for sure. Here's another small update... seems like I'm only getting a couple of hours a week on this at the moment! Just adding a bit more detail here and there, defining some plants and lighing etc. I'll start on the characters next then add sea life and light rays later. Hope to stay posted.. still time left yet ; )

lulaassassina
04-27-2005, 02:16 PM
Go!, Jezzarts, Go!

cheeeng
04-27-2005, 04:34 PM
wow the mood looks good now. Love the multily lighting idea of this.

Squibbit
04-27-2005, 08:13 PM
cool update , excellent work. Now hurry up , i wanna see
all the details done in the final pic!

jmw
04-30-2005, 09:48 PM
I really like what your doing here. keep up the good work

jeromoo
05-01-2005, 04:07 PM
Erm, Jezzarts, I think you may have made a mistake with your concept here. From what I see, the master is the fish humanoid and his servants are probably the sharks. The human is victim/enemy here. From what I recall, the actual Master and Servant theme requires that either the Master or the Servant must be PURE human. Please check whether or not your current concept is eligible.

How come no one else here point it out?

dinodog-jr
05-01-2005, 08:15 PM
Human wearing underwater suit is not allow in this contest?

If nothing disobey the rules...please ignore my words here..haha

Really mystery enviroment design....

I LUV THE AQUA GREEN COLOR!~Dat's Y i post this message up today!

Jezzarts
05-01-2005, 11:51 PM
Have been too busy to paint lately unfortunately... but just to re-cap... the 'fish humanoid' is actually based on Neptune which is a god so pretty much fits the master character. The sharks and other sea life are servants of Neptune. Nemo 'the guy in the suit' is also a servant like many other human servants to Neptune before him. There will be other humans working in the background with oxygen supplies. Also without giving a history lesson, many humans have in the past been captured as slaves and forced to fight but have also served their masters and earnt their freedom. Cheers for your comments

cyberarts
05-02-2005, 12:27 AM
I love the background! It's already give the feeling of under water scenery. I know that you are not finish yet but I know for sure that the end result will look great!
I keep an eye one your progress.

Good luck! =0)

demonicoz
05-02-2005, 12:37 AM
Its coming along nicely mate. I really love the caverns of light, they look really beautiful. I also love the whole concept, great layout. Hope you can retain the detail in the final piece. Good luck!

eclipson
05-02-2005, 01:37 AM
awsome BG! love the underwater feel, great! :thumbsup:

jeromoo
05-02-2005, 03:18 AM
oh. good! thanks for explaining :) I thought you made a mistake there.

Looking good so far!

Jezzarts
05-03-2005, 11:33 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5792/5792_1115120005_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5792/5792_1115120005_large.jpg)

Back into it! I started on Nemo with some simple shading and then worked in some darker lines. I then put in a few highlights. I'm working from the top down. Once I'm happy with the way the light is hitting him, I'll go back over and tidy things up. I was using the acrylic brush for the background and painting at 50% but for the characters I'm using the digital airbrush at 100%+. I'm also using a reference on a separate layer to get that old brass look. Will stay posted, thanks everyone for the support... much appreciated!!

spacesnail
05-03-2005, 12:21 PM
Wow Jezz ! This nice character painting :buttrock:
I was waiting for update, now i'm served.... Hurry Hurry Hurry, still 15 days left

Cheers

Manu

Jezzarts
05-03-2005, 11:09 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5792/5792_1115161754_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5792/5792_1115161754_large.jpg)

I've got Nemo to a stage where I'm happy enough to move on to Neptune so here he is... will be adding blury lighting and bubbles etc later. Cheers!

Time for sleep now ; )

arkinet
05-03-2005, 11:24 PM
wow, looks great!! just a thought though, i think those gauges on his tank looks silly since he cant see 'em, know what I mean... anyway, keep it up! more! more!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

ghostent
05-04-2005, 01:35 AM
Looks so very nice.love the theme.nice stuff all the way.:thumbsup:

jugeras
05-04-2005, 02:56 AM
pretty cool dive suit. doing great :bounce: :thumbsup:

left hand is maybe just a little-little bit off. elbow can be a bit lower. it still works :thumbsup:

a bluish color cast might help -not too sure. cheeers maaaan. :scream:

dinodog-jr
05-04-2005, 03:21 AM
indeed splendid~@~@~

just the boot got different size...

can't wait to see this wif animation sequence..hee

Jezzarts
05-04-2005, 07:38 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5792/5792_1115192321_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5792/5792_1115192321_large.jpg)

Started on Neptune this morning, only about an hour dropping the linework back in and blocking in some rough values. I thought I'd make him look silvery in parts.. the way the colours come out when light reflect of fish sometimes.

spacesnail
05-04-2005, 07:44 AM
Yahoo keep going on !:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Jezzarts
05-05-2005, 07:45 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5792/5792_1115279101_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5792/5792_1115279101_large.jpg)

Another screenshot of Neptune's head... just working in some more detail and picking out where the light hits.

spacesnail
05-09-2005, 02:32 PM
Tic Tac Tic Tac

Run Jeremy Run

I want to "sea" the whole coloured pic

Keep going on :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Manu

Jezzarts
05-10-2005, 12:10 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5792/5792_1115727040_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5792/5792_1115727040_large.jpg)

Here's another WIP, still alot to do with lighting and detail etc. I will post again when he's finished... should be all down hill from there!

Cheers - Jez

element5
05-10-2005, 01:16 PM
Great work jeremy.... you have pulled it all together very nicely... The colouring really works for me. Fantastic composition and the scene looks like it could be from a disney animation :beer: oh yeah one more thing WOW! looking forward to a great finished image :thumbsup:

am7
05-10-2005, 02:44 PM
Awesome! I'd better get started with details aswell soon! :)

spacesnail
05-10-2005, 03:01 PM
:bounce::bounce:Keep going on Jeremy :bounce::bounce:

walrus
05-10-2005, 03:59 PM
Beautiful work so far! Keep going... good luck with all the rest oif the details!

-mike

Tranchefeux
05-10-2005, 05:21 PM
Hi Jezzarts
There are in your work softnesses of the form and the
marine monster with a good design, go, go for the end. :thumbsup:

ogar555
05-10-2005, 09:46 PM
This will be interesting... :D

Jezzarts
05-10-2005, 09:55 PM
Wow, thanks all!!... it's great to have positive feedback, must be on the right track... lots to do! Best of luck with all your entries. I must say it's a much faster learning curve having fellow artists to bounce off. :thumbsup:

Jezzarts
05-12-2005, 08:02 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5792/5792_1115884933_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5792/5792_1115884933_large.jpg)

Hello all, I think I'm ready to leave Neptune alone for a while and get onto the sharks and sea life. Here's an update of Neptune with highlights...

Cheers!

Squibbit
05-12-2005, 08:08 AM
this too is one of my favourites, an underwater scene
you depicted so well and neptune looks great

MDN67
05-12-2005, 08:10 AM
Your neptune is very impressive, and the anbiance of the BG is very great. Ilike this pic, good work

paulwdavidson
05-12-2005, 08:17 AM
Very nice!

Paul

mack72
05-12-2005, 08:21 AM
Love the look of Neptune! Can't wait to see it finished!

ms@zx
05-12-2005, 09:19 AM
lovely details on the neptune.u hit the undersea feeling and the atmostphere right on:)keep it going mate!

LadyMedusa
05-12-2005, 09:33 AM
woah, I relly like the design on his trident.
Amazing!
I also like his over-all design, and how you made him different than the typichal maremaid.

Vectorius
05-12-2005, 09:45 AM
Just an AmAzInG WORK!!:bounce: ..Awesome effects! congratulations!:applause: .

I'll come back soon, see the next update! Keep it up!

GhostInTheMachine
05-12-2005, 09:45 AM
its looking good. gl

TheMagnetic
05-12-2005, 10:10 AM
beautiful pose man. Im all about the lines of action in mine so I love it when I see it in other peoples work. I love the color sceme also. very soft but also impactful.

spacesnail
05-12-2005, 12:55 PM
tic tac tic tac TIC TAC TIC TAC TIC TAC TIC TAC TIC TAC TIC TAC :twisted:

Very good work Jeremy :thumbsup::bounce::thumbsup:

Waiting for your final pic :buttrock:

Beware of the upload rush hour

Manu

Jezzarts
05-12-2005, 01:06 PM
I just realised I'm a know it all... apparently:D

Jezzarts
05-12-2005, 01:11 PM
Thanks everyone! ... no worries Spacesnail, I learnt my lesson last time... plenty of time left.. I think! I'm moving back to Australia in 2 weeks after living in the UK for 2 years so the timing for this is really bad, work is hectic as well... so yeah, no problem (gulp!). The final lighting should be the best update.. Cheers! - Jez

dloots
05-12-2005, 01:49 PM
Wow Really cool Image, I dig the highlights, maybe bring in another color, like blood where the trident is.

This is really cool, Good Luck

:twisted:

Fish-KAart
05-12-2005, 05:05 PM
Very interesting work! :)

duddlebug
05-12-2005, 05:10 PM
This is looking just splendid!! The detail and lighting are working really well... and the blues and tunnels of the background are fab.

Any updates of the whole image to show us...? huh? huh? :bounce:

camtheman
05-12-2005, 05:25 PM
Dude, I almost forgot about your thread, thanks for jumping in on mine. Man this is a sweet pic. I love the concept. It looks like it's gonna be hard to beat. No fair, I thought I had a chance...Whoa.

Good luck...like you need it.

my M&S:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?p=2272378#post2272378

Jezzarts
05-12-2005, 05:48 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5792/5792_1115920081_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5792/5792_1115920081_large.jpg)

Thanks for all for your comments and support! Dbug - here's the full view.. you're right I hadnt posted that in a while so here it is at 20%

Jezzarts
05-12-2005, 05:50 PM
Dirk - I'd like to add more colour but I'm not sure that blood would fit whats happening.. would look great though... mmmm ... I'll have to think about it, thanks!

Miyagu
05-12-2005, 06:24 PM
hi! i want to say that i really love this one.. i´m a big fan of underwater-stuff and you capture the right mood! these colors!!! :love: i wish you the best for this contest!

*waiting for updates*

kerembeyit
05-12-2005, 06:52 PM
Great colors and great lighting. Good luck mate.

AlyFell
05-12-2005, 07:56 PM
Beautiful ambience Jeremy! Are you going to do something with the water to create a sort of bubbleyness? Soft focusing areas etc... It's kind of weird considering how good this is to pick out a little area, but I really love the fuzzy blue light at the bottom!:)

marcheen
05-12-2005, 08:40 PM
man this is awesome! i love that Neptun concept and how you have presented him. the whole image is beautiful.

AdrielaSakamoto
05-12-2005, 08:43 PM
I saw this last night, but was falling off my chair in utter exhaustion, so didn't let you know how wonderful it is. This morning, I see more of it, and I am not sure what I can say other than youv'e captured that eery underwater silence and stillness beautifully. Even Posiden (?), dynamic though he is, seems to float in the watery ether, frozen in time. Very very nice. Much good luck with the challenge.

Best,

Adri

Jezzarts
05-13-2005, 07:48 PM
Well, I was hoping to have the weekend to finish this but found out I will be away working in Scotland for 3 days so wont get back on my tablet till Tuesday night!! That gives me probably about 3 or 4 hours to finish it... phew, talk about tight. Will see.

Thank you everyone!

AdrielaSakamoto - thanks so much, I'm glad you like it. Hopefully I'll get some movement into Neptune.

marcheen - Cheers!

Poshspice - Thanks, I like that bit too he he. I'm going to add loads of bubbles and fleeing fish as well as strong light rays coming from the holes above. Might add some floaty bits etc as well and try some blury watery effects. Will see how much time I have for tweeking.

kerembeyit - Thank you, it's a learning curve with the lighting.

dunkelgold - Thanks! hope I can give those updates :D

Cameron Gardner - Thanks mate, I duno your pic is pretty dam cool, I think you're in with a grin.

duddlebug - Cheers mate, love your work

Fish-KAart - thanks... I think :)

Ok!... be back in three days! aaaaaaahhhhhh! - Jez

NinjaA55N
05-15-2005, 11:30 AM
Just stopped by to say cheerz to another great entry! :thumbsup:

Jeremypiven
05-15-2005, 12:01 PM
Wow,thats nice,really like the cave design and colors.It's all a real nice put together package.like neptune,and you did him well.real well man.:buttrock:

Speaky
05-15-2005, 09:18 PM
Hi Jeremy, I hadn't checked out your pic since very early on in the thread. It's come along beautifully, it's got a great sense of scale and depth to it, and the light is amazing. I like! :thumbsup:

NOOB!
05-15-2005, 09:21 PM
yeh,wow it turned out excellent!

Kamjar
05-15-2005, 10:06 PM
way cool colours ! I just love em!

I wish you good luck, we dont have much time anymore! :eek:

Cheers Kam

Mordalles
05-15-2005, 10:23 PM
Stealth Pharaoh - cheers! :)

SEL - Thanks, this is one of the reasons I love these challenges so much... it's not often you get to see the behind the scenes workings of so many great artists. To me the concepts and lead up is the best part!!

yeah, i aggree, and ures is definitely one of those to follow! great work!

birdybear
05-15-2005, 10:33 PM
Gorgeous depth. You've inspired me to start drawing mermaids.... Great colors too. Good luck! :thumbsup:

Doesn't fantasy just rock?

Jezzarts
05-16-2005, 10:48 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5792/5792_1116283707_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5792/5792_1116283707_large.jpg)

Hi all, managed to get a couple of hours in tonight after a 9 hour drive back from Scotland... Im stuffed but its getting close to crunch time. Ill add some fish tomorrow night. - Cheers - Jez

arkinet
05-16-2005, 10:52 PM
gorgeous dude, jst wondering, are you stl going to add some textures on the ground where the aquaguy is standing? if so, that would be awesome... overall your pice is looking great!!:thumbsup:

also thnx for stopping by my thread & the comments, its really helpful.:)

Jezzarts
05-17-2005, 06:29 AM
Ok, almost there! Only some small sealife to add and the final lighting... then add some final detail here and there.... OMG I might just finish!!

NinjaASSN - cheers for stopin by :)

Jeremypiven - Thanks for the support, wasnt sure of the colours but it seems to work.

Speaky - I'm going to really push the lighting some more on this one. Thanks!

NOOB! - Much appreciated

Kamjar Fadai - yeah I hear ya, time kind of creeps up on you.... BAM!!

Mordalles - Thanks so much!

birdybear - He was almost going to have legs.. glad I gave him a tail... it will help to show depth. I would have to agree with you... Fantasy does indeed ROCK!:buttrock:

arkinet - Thanks mate, yeah I'm hoping to add detail there.. at the very least some cracks and stones. Will have to see if time is kind :D

NOOB!
05-17-2005, 04:05 PM
those sharks are amazing!!

ErwinM
05-17-2005, 05:55 PM
Very good design Jeremy. I can't wait to see the final image. Keep going man.

Cheers,
Erwin

Jezzarts
05-17-2005, 10:41 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5792/5792_1116369693_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5792/5792_1116369693_large.jpg)

There are lots of little things I would have liked to add to this and maybe I've rushed it tonight, but I'm fairly happy with how it looks. I'll have to look at it with fresh eye's in the morning. I would greatly appreciate anyones comments at this stage although I'm sure most of you will be in the same boat and frantically trying to finish!! Anyway, I will most probably be touching up a few areas but for now I'll call this a final colouring.... so here it is. Thanks so much to all who helped me out and of course to the hosts of this great event!! - Jez

BlacKeri
05-17-2005, 10:43 PM
The lightning is amazing, wonderful underwater scene. Awesome job on the detailing!

AlyFell
05-17-2005, 11:15 PM
Absolutely! Ditto from me on the lighting! Great ambience and mood! And yes... makes me want to draw a mermaid as well... Fab piece Jeremy. :)

Jezzarts
05-18-2005, 06:02 AM
Thanks Posh and Blackeri, I've got a little time this morning before work to spend on it... any suggestions anyone? ... come-on I never finish these things on time, this is too good!!

Jezzarts
05-18-2005, 07:29 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5792/5792_1116401363_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5792/5792_1116401363_large.jpg)

Whilst on one of his routine expeditions, Nemo is faced with two rather menacing sharks and is forced into one of Neptune’s many secret caves.

Neptune is most pleased with his new servant as there can be only one Master of the ocean. It seems as though masters can become servants in an instant.

Is this Nemos fate or is hope on the horizon?

Thanks to all who helped out along the way. Best of luck, it's been great! - Jez

daadaa
05-18-2005, 09:12 PM
looks amazing man!! love the characters :D

i see ur not leaving it too late beofre finishing this time ;) gud luck!

Squibbit
05-18-2005, 09:30 PM
cool to see a nice underwater scene... hmm... *squints eyes*
is that Paul Davidson's kraken lurking there in the shadows ?

xric7
05-19-2005, 06:54 AM
wowowowoww.:eek:
nice idea!!
also great art work.:applause::thumbsup: realy love ur scene and character.it's outstanding!
keep going.
cheers.:buttrock:

Jezzarts
05-19-2005, 07:13 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5792/5792_1116486817_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5792/5792_1116486817_large.jpg)

I thought I\'d completed all my milestones... I had uploaded my TIFF file but I think I\'ve forgotten to upload my final image JPG... so here it is.

grf
05-19-2005, 07:45 AM
I totally love the dynamic aspect of this! Great stuff!! you pulled it off nicely. :thumbsup:

sgtpepper
05-19-2005, 07:54 AM
wow! very nice, looks like a classical piece of work, very nice job!

Good luck to you man!

paulwdavidson
05-19-2005, 09:09 AM
Congratulations...very cool............I love underwater topics.

Good luck.

Paul

ps Neptune has already killed my Kraken!..Awesome!

Tariq12
05-19-2005, 09:19 AM
WOW, man ! This is awesome. :eek: :applause:
Cheers,
T.

element5
05-19-2005, 01:46 PM
I have been looking forward to seeing this one finished and am not dissapointed...woohoo! looks great :applause:
Goodluck my friend :)

CoreyArtE
05-19-2005, 01:54 PM
Wow jeremy! Really amazing picture! I'm glad you finished your picture it looks excellent! Good luck in the voting system man, oh and I'm about to update my site now that I have new material to put on there, and I'm going to add your link to mine , i'm going to make a banner out of your pictures for your link. Hope you dont mind! Well anyway goodluck with the voting! This piece is too good !:thumbsup:

ErwinM
05-19-2005, 11:42 PM
Hey Jeremy, congratulations! I like how you added all those small fishes in the background to give a sense of scale. Your variety of textures through out this painting is wonderful. Great job!

Erwin

arkinet
05-20-2005, 12:48 AM
congratulations for a very original neptune!!! awesome!!:thumbsup:

Slav
05-20-2005, 01:10 AM
wonderful image man. that's wicked stuff i knew this one would tickle my creative spur.

MDN67
05-20-2005, 01:14 AM
Really a very nice pic, i like your neptune, it's a great character; good work and good luck for the end

TheFirstAngel
05-21-2005, 06:23 PM
Jeremy, just came to congratulate you on your stunning and awesome final piece, its so beautifull! Best of luck and all my best wishes on the final! keep on rocking!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ChrisThatGuy
05-21-2005, 09:03 PM
Great piece. I really like the lighting.

CGTalk Moderation
05-21-2005, 09:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.