PDA

View Full Version : Master and Servant 3D Entry: Kevin Barnum

Daoine
03-22-2005, 07:43 AM
Kevin Barnum has entered the Master and Servant 3D.

Challenge Page (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/masterandservant/view_entries.php?challenger=5783)

Latest Update: Modeling: Cat body
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5783/5783_1113815480_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5783/5783_1113815480_large.jpg)

And the body. I'm glad to see that my #1 post updated automatically. I accidentally edited it in the beginning, not knowing it was meant as an updated post.

Thanks,
Daoine

Daoine
03-22-2005, 09:16 AM
while I await feedback on my Q's, I'll start with a concept narrative. the idea for my entry stems from a Dungeons & Dragons campaign I've been part of for a couple of years. D&D was a major inspiration for getting into 3d art.
Anyway...
My character in that campaign is named Seluvian Ni'Tessine, an Elven wizard. The elves of this world lost their major empire, Myth Drannor, in a great war against truly evil fiends called Nycoloths. The only established elven lands are in Semberholme, where Seluvian was born. His family life was kind of a cinerella story. The evil high nobles had control and Seluvian, truly a good soul, part of the lesser nobles. Seluvian's great uncle, an exception to the high nobles evil ways, taught Seluvian magic in secret. When he died, Seluvian left home and started his adventuring life. In the great Metropolis of Waterdeep, Seluvian met his current traveling companions, a half-giant samurai named Durgur, and a paladin named Thoravill. They ended up setting up residence in the city of Mishtan, in the nation of Mulhorrand. This is where my concept comes in. Mulhorrand is a lawful nation loosely based on ancient egypt. Except it's not in the desert (it's in the plains). Mulhorrand society has a slave class, and when Seluvian took the position of High Transmuter of Mishtan, he also "inherited" a slave; a half-orc named Gibbs. Orc's and elves have a notorious hatred for each other, but Gibbs is "smarter than the average orc". He himself is a wizard, and very lawful in alignment. He was raised in captivity and is very loyal. Seluvian was the first master he had that actually showed him any respect. In fact, on several occasions, Seluvian went to the Pharoah to ask for Gibb's release from slavery. Gibbs considers Seluvian to be more of a friend than a master, and Seluvian definately doesn't consider Gibbs his slave.
The issue with Seluvian that lends into my concept is this. He specilizes in many forms of magic, one of which is chronomancy, the study of time. His chief diety is the elven god of time, so he takes this study very seriously. Unfortunately, these studies have tarnished Seluvian's bright soul with an awful truth. Reality is a fragile sham! The nature of the universe is dictated by the collective acceptance of all the sentient beings that exist. A subconcious choice. Reality isn't real, we only percieve it to be real. Kind of like the matrix. This is a grim knowledge for someone who desires to do so much good. Seluvian is a man full of paradox. Gibbs worries about his master's mental health, even though Seluvian sometimes takes his frustrations out on him.

The other concept I'm throwing around, still dealing with Seluvian, is based on a recent quirk he acquired where he can't bring himself to kill any living thing. Even if that living thing is wholy evil. Now instead of killing his enemies, he must put enchantments on them, making them his slaves and sending them out to destroy evil for him.

Sketches will come in the next couple of days,

Daoine

soapy
03-23-2005, 04:38 PM
Wow the story sounds great. Lots of food for thought. Good luck on the contest.

miketche
03-23-2005, 05:24 PM
Well, after our little discussion over at Renderosity I thought I should subscribe to your thread. I'll be watching and good luck.

Cartesius
03-24-2005, 07:04 PM
I also played D&D once, back in its Advanced Dungeons & Dragons incarnation when the company was still TSR :)

Like your concept a lot, just make sure you don't use any pre-fabricated models!

/Anders

Daoine
03-25-2005, 04:02 AM
Loud and Clear Anders:thumbsup:

You may be happy to know that TSR still owns the rights to the dungeons and dragons name through Wizards of the Coast. Then again, you may not, considering your feelings on it's most recent incarnation. I've spent over $400 on books for the "3rd edition":sad: it's kinda gotten to be a rip off, but oh well... they need to make money too, I guess.

Still play every Wednesday tough:buttrock:

I'm such an Uber Nerd,

Daoine

Daoine
03-26-2005, 02:23 AM
Ok, my previous idea has been shot down by the rules (no elf on orc action:sad:). But that's good, I don't really care about that. It was to obscure and specific anyway.

I've decided to go with an idea that I should have decided to use from the beginning. This idea is much more to the point, much more obvious and much closer to my heart.

For 19 years I had this cat, M-illy (pronounced "Emiliy"). Now, 19 is old for a cat. I mean, I know there are many out there who have known cats to live longer. Even my neighbors cat lived longer, 22 years. It wasn't just her age that plays into this concept, it's also my age. I'm only 23. I had that cat since I was 5, before I even reached the age of reason, I had this cat. It was my sister's cat, at first until she got Wheeler. She basically abandoned M-illy for her "new kitten", and M-illy became MY cat. From there on out, she was a defining constant in my life, and she was an utter BITCH to EVERYONE ELSE BUT ME!

I lost her 2 months ago. She was deaf, partially blind, and suffered from terrible arthritis, but she held through, by my side until her kidneys just couldn't do anymore. But while she was alive, no matter any of those ailments, she followed me everywhere. Up and down the street as I played touch football with my friends. When I walked the trail behind my house, she walked with me. Even when I rode my bike along that trail, on my way back home, there she'd be; scolding me with her ever unique "owwwwllll".... "Hey, where you think you're goin' without me!"

And so, my concept for the Master and Servent Challenge:

"She'd Follow Me to Hell and Back"

It'll be cool. I can model my cat and myself and make hell and a stairway with bright appealing light. It's the least I can do for "M":bounce: I'm gonna have a lot of fun with this one.

Thanks for viewing!

Daoine

miketche
03-26-2005, 05:52 AM
Very intersting idea. But why would you be going to hell?

BlackDidThis
03-26-2005, 06:43 AM
That is VERY touchy.. VEEEERY touchy!!!

I almost cried here.

Well there are those that are Cat-people, and those that are Dog-people (I am really convinced about this now). Personally I am a Dog person and don't really like Cats as much. But I sort of replaced my son (An adorable Terrier) with your little one. And it really hurt all the way through.

I am not TOO sure about the scene being crowded with a bright stairway. I think there is SO MUCH emotion in the story, that the secne you described doesn't exactly seem as if it would compliment it. There is a unique bond between the concept and yourself. I just hope you would be able to carry it onto the viewport and render it out for us to be able enjoy with the same 'awe' that you left on me from reading.

All that said.. I would like to also add my greatfulness that your first concept didn't fit into the rules.. however intresting it was.

pixeltroll2005
03-26-2005, 07:21 AM
I too am a cat person. Sounds like a good concept. Will your characters (you and "M") be smiling as you leave hell? Or will you be terrified because whats following you? I too would be terrified being chased by a hell hound! Looking forward to your next update.

Daoine
03-26-2005, 01:16 PM
Thanks everyone:thumbsup:

miketche: It's not so much that we're going to hell, it's the fact that if I had to go to hell, like Dante did in the Divine Comedy, M-illy would be there with me. It's the great lengths that she would go through to be by my side. My image isn't gonna be of us going to hell, it's going to be us returning from hell. That's where the stairway and brightly lit doorway come in.

It'll all be clear once I get my concept sketch up... errr, maybe not though, unless stick figures can make it clear (that's all I can draw with any confidence).

Sorry Black, didn't mean to turn on any waterworks:cry:

Pixeltroll: Hmmmm... a hellhound, yes. That would make excellent fill for the hellish part of the scene. Although I don't think we'll be looking back in any fear. I kind of see it with me looking back with this kind of "we're almost home, M" smirk on my face, and M lookin back just kind of peering back momentarily like she would when she would follow me down the trail. She always kept a watchful eye (even though neither of em were that great), that's kind of how I want her portrayed. I really gotta sketch this out though.

Thanks again everyone,

Daoine

jddog
03-26-2005, 01:43 PM
My image isn't gonna be of us going to hell, it's going to be us returning from hell. That's where the stairway and brightly lit doorway come in.

:thumbsup: really good concept, I like it... Dantesco...

I wish you good luck for this contest, keep it hard ! *subscribe*

jdd

constructure
03-27-2005, 09:54 PM
Eh Daoine, original concept of "master and servant". No s+m cliches where you're
coming from - quite the opposite. I found your little story of your relationship to your
cat very touching, as i too am a "cat person" and was very close to one for many years,
as you were yours. Her friend lived to be longer though - 23 and still a little kitten to the
end...

i look forward to your representation or interpretation of this...

*subscribed*

Daoine
03-27-2005, 10:42 PM
Thanks constructure. Damn!!! 23 years, that's old. The way you described your cat reminded me of M, "a kitten until the end". Ain't that the truth.
Damn right no s&m cliches. I keeps my shiz hoesum:D . Don't get me wrong, vulger and disgusting are alright for the moment, but I just can't see putting a lot of work into it. Some of the best laughs and times I've ever had included some of the most gruesome and vulger things being said, but I'd never want to repeat them, for fear of eternal damnation. My friends and I have a saying that we try and blurt out in between our gutz bustin' "Dude, your goin to hell for that!"

OH YEAH, Sorry everyone for no progress yet. Damn credit card company upped my interest rate from 0% to 30% cuz my payment didn't post in time:eek: dental bills and all that jazz, just got side tracked. But I'm a cookin somtin:D

Later,

Daoine

ODoul
03-29-2005, 04:31 AM
Good luck.

WimH
04-05-2005, 05:07 PM
Good luck

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?p=2122299#post2122299

jddog
04-18-2005, 09:08 AM
what's up here ????? :wip:
jdd

Daoine
04-18-2005, 09:59 AM
Yeah, I know I've been rather absent with updates. I got a little sidetracked, but I have been modeling, so updates are on the way. Cat is about 90% complete and I'm still working out the composition of my sketch.

Thanks

Daoine

Daoine
04-18-2005, 10:08 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5783/5783_1113815282_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5783/5783_1113815282_large.jpg)

Here's an early head shot, full body shot coming soon.

Daoine

Daoine
04-18-2005, 10:11 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5783/5783_1113815480_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5783/5783_1113815480_large.jpg)

And the body. I'm glad to see that my #1 post updated automatically. I accidentally edited it in the beginning, not knowing it was meant as an updated post.

Thanks,
Daoine

soapy
04-18-2005, 11:08 PM
The cat model is looking good, bring it on!

CGTalk Moderation
04-18-2005, 11:08 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.