PDA

View Full Version : Master and Servant 2D Entry: Natascha Roeoesli

Kyena
03-22-2005, 07:40 AM
Natascha Roeoesli has entered the Master and Servant 2D.

Challenge Page (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/masterandservant/view_entries.php?challenger=5782)

Latest Update: Coloring WIP: More steam..
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5782/5782_1113568471_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5782/5782_1113568471_large.jpg)

more detail testing..

MDN67
03-22-2005, 07:59 AM
good luck natacha

ace4016
03-22-2005, 08:11 AM
Good luck.

AlyFell
03-22-2005, 08:15 AM
I'll add my good wishes too Natascha! :) This sounds fun!

Kyena
03-22-2005, 08:31 AM
Thanks guys - indeed a challenge for me and definately a good way to improve :)
I'll be posting to this thread after the 1st of April (after my move to Greece).

henningsen
03-22-2005, 08:46 AM
Go get them, tiger!

Kyena
03-22-2005, 09:33 AM
Braintstorming the theme:

I really want a different approach to this and probably also a personal feeling to be included in this piece:

Overall theme:
Being a slave of society in this case of the beauty crazy and hype perfectionism:

Interesting found and input:
"Moralists hasten to condemn this 'beauty craze' as an evil influence of the West generated by multinational cosmetics and clothes companies and the evil media, forgetting conveniently that our ancient paintings, sculptures, and literature are eloquent in celebrating the ideal female form, that is proportional body features, and the much sought after hour glass figure."

Idea/Concept:
To personificiate beauty linked to society with the help of symbols. Having a (on the first sight) perfect model type beauty tower over another woman who is huddled down on the floor on her knees (low angle perspective to emphasize the supperiority of the "beauty").
On the second sight the beauty as we see her is not pefect though - a lot of subtle things will "demask" her.

The other woman is kneeling in front of a huge mirror. Despair has to show..maybe she is crying one hand partially covering her face the other hand is on the mirror - bent like a claw as if she was trying to scratch her reflected self. She is average looking but not ugly at all her shoulders seem heavy and her back is bent as under an intense burden. Both her wrists are chained to the mirror and the reflected image of her shows only a blurred and slightly deformed image of her but a clear image of the "perfect" beauty behind her (we see her without the slight hints of imperfection and symbolism on the mirror).

The mirror will show cracks as if the woman on the floor tried to smash it but there will also be hints that she actually tried to fix the mirror herself..the woman in the back offering her some tools to fix the cracks. There will also be a belt with a keyring around her waist which shows that she actually would have the tools to unlock the chains herself.

kalemna
03-22-2005, 09:39 AM
I already very excited to see some sketches. :bounce:
Good luck for the continuation.:)

Kyena
03-22-2005, 09:42 AM
Thanks Kalemna - I hope to come up with some decent sketches anytime soon (hopefully before but for sure after the move)

Fus|on
03-22-2005, 11:56 AM
All the best, I'm really going to be keeping an eye on your work. :)

Kyena
03-22-2005, 12:35 PM
More brainstorming about the "beauty character":

Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder so it is something different to everyone else.
Problem to be solved:
How to personificate beauty including the idea of "it" to be something that changes throught out society and it's historic, ethic and religious background..

Ideas:
only show her face as skull on the actual character (but not in the mirror)
use a mask
use a full head veil
use really heavy makeup (would only cover the skin color but no the ethical facial features)

decision:
incorporate all different kind of ethical influences (asian eyes, native american hair, african incluenced nose and so on)
clothing/patterns will be reflecting all different kind of ethical influences as well.
Since each beauty trend is also matter of personal taste it doesn't really hurt if the personification is not to everyone's taste as long as it includes influences of different ethical archetypes.

Beauty has to be linked to the second character with something like a lifeline..

Enayla
03-22-2005, 12:53 PM
Good luck, Kyena :] It sounds really interesting, I'm looking forward to this one.

Kyena
03-22-2005, 01:13 PM
Fusion and Linda, many thanks :)

I hope I am not over my head with this one..

bRyaN2003
03-22-2005, 01:19 PM
Great idea...

How we are slaves to the personifcation of beauty in society...

I can see the narrative...Good luck...

ArtisticVisions
03-22-2005, 03:04 PM
Best of luck, Natascha; great concept BTW. :)

coCoKNIght
03-22-2005, 03:07 PM
Hi Tascha
I'm not gonna wish you good luck 'cause you won't need it http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/grin.gif, but have fun!

Ichthus
03-22-2005, 03:09 PM
Hi, if you're going to use heavy lead makeup, you could expose the nape of her neck. The Japanese find it erotic.

Velinov
03-22-2005, 04:20 PM
I wish you good luck with you theme, Kyena. It really sound interesting. I Can't wait to see your first sketch.

MY "Master and servant" thread (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=221933)

www.velinov.com (http://www.velinov.com/)

ms@zx
03-22-2005, 05:49 PM
i see something's coming kyena..the concept and the idea sounds good to me . would love to see some sketches soon:)

coldfront
03-22-2005, 06:21 PM
good luck with this one. it sounds very promesing. looking forward to seing your first sketch. =)

lonewolf304
03-23-2005, 01:00 AM
good luck Tascha!

-janMike-

Tommy Lee
03-23-2005, 05:58 AM
Good Luck there... wait to see incredible things from you.

Gruss in die Schweitz und alles Gute:thumbsup:

Tom

PS: I hope you are from the germanspeaking part of swiss. I thought so because of your name...

Kyena
03-23-2005, 06:50 AM
Bin ich - keine Sorge Tommy ;)
Und danke - ich kanns gebrauchen!

It's gonna be a while until you see some color concepts from me - I am about to move so forgive me for not updateing frequently right now - I don't have my computer and my wacom back until after the 1st of April :(

Kyena
03-23-2005, 12:20 PM
I'll be going on brainstorming theoretically until I have a scanner and my comp back:

I am most probably going to use the same character for both parts of the relationship (slave and master) to emphasize the fact that we degrade ourselves down to be slaves of society and the beauty craze. No one else but we ourselves.

"Beauty" Character Image Concept:
I decided to go with a more doll like and synthethic/fake look.
Clothing will be the only means of reflecting the different ethical backgrounds.
color scheme: whiteish/cold with a touch of powder - strong visible makeup
Strange unnatural hair-do

"Normal" character Image concept:
Normal looking face normal makeup - black mascara all around her eyes but messy from craying..maybe messy lipstick or no lipstick at all.

She will be holding a lipstick in one hand and the mirror will show the text "I hate you!" written with the lipstick

Both characters will be reflected in the mirror but both in a different way to emphasize the concept. I need to flesh out the relationship between the two more.
I think the chain concept will be there but I consider it too blunt to have it only rest on this one symbol.

Jezzarts
03-23-2005, 12:30 PM
Sounds good to me, looking forward to seeing your concepts.. best of luck! - Jez

TheFirstAngel
03-23-2005, 07:20 PM
Hiiiiii Tascha!!! Found you! I'm so glad you're in and am looking forward with excitement to another beautifull and fantastic work of you!

The concept sounds really interesting, am curious how you visualize it.

Wish you kisses from "inspiratia", much fun and hope your equipement lets you start your engines soon :) Best of luck and now: go go go! let it flow let it rock!!!:wip: :buttrock: :beer:

ace4016
03-23-2005, 10:36 PM
Sounds like a great concept. Hoping to see how you are goign to portray the image; I myself imagined from your concept that the "beautiful" cahricater would be looking into the mirror only to see the "normal" character. Hope you get yor scanner and computer back soon.

beelow
03-24-2005, 04:31 AM
I can't wait to see some of your stuff. Good luck.

Kyena
03-24-2005, 05:34 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5782/5782_1111642488_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5782/5782_1111642488_large.jpg)

God knows I am probably the worst sketcher ever but since I don't have my wacom with me and only very limited access to a scanner I am doodling around with pencils.

This is the first attempt at the dollish approach for the personification of the "beauty master". I want her to be like a puppet to have a nice contraste with the actual character.

beelow
03-24-2005, 05:43 AM
Hey, I got a frow like that but is kinda even...lol.jk. good stuff.

Kyena
03-24-2005, 06:50 AM
uh wha - you got a frow like that? - what's that supposed to mean? :D

Some more clarification about the doll concept.
Her hairdo is inspired by the wigs of the 19th century to play a bit with the timeless aspect of beauty. The eyes will be dark - maybe even black and as lifeless as I can make them.

Also I decided to show some electronical meassuring means in the mirror (think of green computer measuring lines with numbers which will be over her face in the mirror.
But more on this later.

ace:
That would be a possibility - however I am going to make it a bit more compilcated :)

angel:
thanks! :)

Jezzarts: muchas gracias!

Claireabella
03-24-2005, 07:52 AM
Hi Natascha. That's a very involved concept you've got going and I am really looking forward to seeing your WIP. Good luck with both the challenge and your move! :) Claireabella

AlyFell
03-24-2005, 07:58 AM
Oooh! Shes's looking nice! I love the piled up hair... how about going even further with it.? Something like a Marie Antoinette wig, so that the exageration is, er... exagerated...!

pitiwazou
03-24-2005, 08:15 AM
Ilike the sketch, good luck ;)

Kyena
03-24-2005, 08:15 AM
Thank you very much Claireabella :)

Aly hmm..maybe - I'll check that out and play around with it more once I got my wacom and my beloved comp working again. As I mentioned I am really REALLY bad at sketches and most of the time I can't incorporate everything I am thinking of in pencil..I will be able to do so in colours hopefully.

CarpeNoctem
03-24-2005, 09:10 AM
Can't wait to see more concepts from you. The idea sounds interesting. (And it really sounds like a big challenge!)
I don't know why, but the sketch gives me "80ies vibes" ;).

OKMER
03-24-2005, 09:35 AM
Hi there Natascha,nice to see you around here!!!.I like a lot the way you work this out.And the closer you'll get to your characters,t the bigger will be the show,I'm sure!!
Nice concept!I'll have a seat and sit back,watching working this out:D !!!
Later Kyena!!!

mack72
03-24-2005, 09:47 AM
Nice sketch/concept. This is looking great! Keep it up.

Solothores
03-24-2005, 10:01 AM
/cheerleading
/cowbells
/subscribing

good luck with your concept natascha, can't wait to see more of it, I have this feeling telling me it will work out great. :thumbsup:

Tariq12
03-24-2005, 02:15 PM
Great sketch Natascha. @ first glance the hair reminded me of a fur hat like what a Russian monarch would wear. Th character seems to exude a kind of nobility as well.
Hope you get your Wacom soon. I moved to the UK 6 months ago and didn't have access to my comp or Wacom for a month. It was hell !!

All the best for the challenge.
T.

My Master & Servant :
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=222506

TheFirstAngel
03-24-2005, 04:10 PM
Hi Tascha

first: No worries, most of us would be happy if they had half of your drawing skills. The Sketch describes clearly your idea :)

I made my thoughts and (confused weird bein i am, so i hope you can make something out of my comment) try to give you a constructive input.

on the left part, she looks a bit younger, when i've been reading your story, i was seeng strong symbolism for the antiaging-madness society is running after. (reminded me a movie i once seen about marilynn monroe's life, seems, things havent changed much)
don't get me wrong, your lady you painted looks very elegant to me, her dress, her proud and strong appearance is very ladylike.
for a doll, a puppet, i think to keep her look like a teenager could well illustrate the "forever young"-fever. but thats just me.

theres two aspects of the mirror wich are running trough my head. the "doll", in deep sadness, for what she has become, seing in the mirror what she once was.
The "natural" woman wich hates what she has to play for society, to keep her inner self alive.
"behind the curtain... "

as for your sketch: strong and expressive, no worries needed at all.
as for your PC/WACOM: hope you have solved that soon
as for your progress: am very very curious awaiting your upcoming steps.

Tranchefeux
03-24-2005, 05:58 PM
Hi

All my encouragement for new challenge Good starting
Good luck

omengeorge
03-24-2005, 06:04 PM
You seem to be going about this like a true conceptualiser..creating charachter sketches before the actual work.. good good.. looking forward to the rest,
I wonder if you want her to be a puppet, or just look puppetish.. if the former, i think joints would work well.
love,
Vinesh

nenne
03-24-2005, 10:55 PM
Good luck, Tascha Il look foward to se all the steps from You :)

uwil
03-24-2005, 11:23 PM
beautiful sketch Natascha, it's quite dim here...mybe just my screen. keep on.

ozhaver
03-25-2005, 03:54 AM
Great concept! And really hard to express! I was tearing my hair off last semester sketching gods and goddesses...everything seemed not enough- as if I wasn't doing them justice! I think that no matter what we will always show OUR vision of beauty in the end. The mirror elements you are planning on doing and the skull are very interesting. The relationship between the two figures is the key element in the final composition, and I have a feeling you will come up with something very...beautiful! ;-)

Kyena
03-25-2005, 08:42 AM
Thanks so much for all the encouragement.
I have to admit I am pretty nervous about joining along with so many great artists and since this is my first competition ever all the tips and feedbacks are extremely appreciated =)

My mind is constantly working on the concept and on how to best show the relationship between the two characters. I think it's actually a good incident that I can't really start rendering yet since I am most of the time a bit too fast and too eager to get special details down in Photoshop before thinking in detail about the overall concept. :D

As soon as I get more time on my parents computer I'll be getting back to your threads as well!

CarpeNoctem:
Hallo Du! Yes - I am always trying to push myself..changes are that I am not able to pull it off like I want it to be but I at least learned something new on the way. I am sure about that. The 80s vibes is good. The earring she is wearring was partially inspired by the jewelery women wore by that time.

Okmer:
Likewise! Thanks for the encouragement I hope I won't disappoint you =)

Mack72:
thank you :)

Solothores:
A fellow Swiss!! Hi and thanks much =)

Tariq12:
I am really REALLY happy that she radiates the Nobility and that is a great idea witht eh rusiian monarch fur hat.. now that you mention it I can definately see a similarity. Oh god - I hope not..I would be unable to even work on the challenge if I don't get my wacom and computer to work anytime soon..

Angel:
Aww thanks :D
I was playing with the idea of aging as well I am not quite sure if I have space for that aspect in the actual character - but with incorporating an hourglass (maybe in the Beauty personifications clothing..)
Interesting aspect of having the beauty regret what she is - however I don't want the beauty/master part to have an own character..she is more like an empty doll..her eyes will be pretty dead and without expression.
Thanks a lot for your support Angel :)

Monsieur Tranchefeux - merci beaucoup =)

omengeorge:
Thanks and yes I need to work on thinking about the concept in detail first. I am normally always a bit too fast with rendering :D
She is not a real puppet..that would be too obvious. I want her to be another personification of the main character but with dollike features.

Nenne:
/hugs thanks RenÚ!

uwil:
Thank you =) Actually I realized it IS quite dark at my work computer (last day yesterday). BG color is a bit too dark :/

oz haver:
Thanks and yes - I am wondering if I can actually pull it off :)
I have been thinking on and off as to how to show the relationship. Most probably I will do that with the eyecontact and expressions between the four character images (two normal ones and two in the mirror). That's the reason the overall composition is causing me some headaches. I have been doing quite a lot of thumbnails to try out where to place the characters and still have enough room for the mirror part..

CoreyArtE
03-25-2005, 09:18 AM
Hey I'm a big fan of your work. Nice sketches so far, cant wait to see what you do with it all!

francis001
03-25-2005, 05:49 PM
That's a great concept - I like the abstract "master" idea. The part of your description I thought was nice was how the "beauty" would be protrayed as slightly ugly - like how we see cracks in the foundation up close, that sort of thing. Looking forward to the progress on this one!

Wysiwyg
03-26-2005, 07:23 PM
Why are you entering this Natascha?? YOUR ALREADY IN THE BANNER AD FOR IT :buttrock:

Ha Ha...good luck...I should have some sketches up this week myself...you've been working with a limited color pallete lately...is that the plan this go round?

Kragh
03-26-2005, 07:26 PM
As a big fan of your previous art, I just have to wish you good luck...even though your participation in this, makes my chances not existing...:)

Have fun.

regarded warrior
03-26-2005, 07:28 PM
should be quite interesting. good luck!

ArtisticVisions
03-26-2005, 08:33 PM
Trust me, Natascha, you're not the worst sketcher :). (that title belongs to me... :sad: )

At first glance, the design of the doll seems similar to the characters from that 80s cartoon Jem (that's just what I thought of when I saw it).
I can't wait to see more. :thumbsup:

fooxoo
03-27-2005, 07:06 AM
Looks interesting - nice idea! Cant wait to see the final result :D

Rhenia
03-27-2005, 07:15 AM
I was waiting for someone to go with a concept along those lines..... I hope the move goes well... I can't wait to see your sketches :)

eclipson
03-27-2005, 07:29 AM
the sketches doesn't seem so bad, i kinda like it, neways,

GoodLux!!:thumbsup:

Tariq12
03-27-2005, 02:20 PM
Hey Natascha, I just saw your web site and all i can say is " HOLY FRIGGIN' CRAP !" YOUR ARTWORK IS BEAUTIFUL.!!
I'll post you my Wacom if that's what it takes for you to get started.

(disclaimer : actual wacom might not be in parcel. ) :rolleyes:

All the best,
T.
My Master & servant : http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=222506
My Web Site : www.tariqart.com
The Hunt : http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=223753
The Kid : http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=223787
Battle Angel : http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=203795&page=1&pp=15&highlight=battle+angel

TheFirstAngel
03-28-2005, 02:55 AM
Already news from your hardware?...unpatiently awaiting the update!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Kyena
03-28-2005, 06:27 AM
Hi again everyone :)

I am still at my parents place going back to my old appartment each day to get rubbish out and clean - which also means that I don't have time to really visit the computer at my parents place. I am only checking e-mails fast.

I'll be moving finally on the 1st of April and I hope I will have access fully back around the following days. (Wish me luck).

Thanks for all the feedback again - I'll be getting back to you asap!

shyamshriram
03-28-2005, 02:41 PM
Hi Natascha :D
Wish u all the best ! :thumbsup:

TheFirstAngel
03-28-2005, 03:01 PM
best of luck Natascha, and all the best wishes from here. hope all your dreams and wishes fulfill and you may thank it the world with many many of your great artworks :)

lonewolf304
03-29-2005, 05:06 AM
So...you're the girl on the serpent... XD
Wow! Hehehehe.

Cheers, have a nice trip! Godspeed! :)

THE Wizard
03-31-2005, 11:35 PM
Well I really don't know what comment to add, and not to be said here... Your ideas are great and work is fantastic, not to mention that Natascha is my favorite female name! Kick our male-macho-painting-super scratching-selfenduring-blablabla arse! :)

My MaSteR&ServAnT 2D (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=225858)

LORDvesalius
04-02-2005, 12:10 AM
well, that's a great sketch for the "worst sketcher ever"... i like your drawing, i'll check your thread.

Good luck!

Kyena
04-11-2005, 06:37 AM
Up till now I was unable to work on this futher since I don't have a scanner yet.
I am totally unable to sketch directly on the comp and I can't scan my current sketches to work further on this.

Hopefully we solve the problem soon (stupid HP Scanners :()

ArtisticVisions
04-11-2005, 03:01 PM
Hopefully we solve the problem soon (stupid HP Scanners :()
Yeah, I know how you're feeling; my HP died on me at the start of the Challenge :rolleyes: (and I barely had it for a year, to boot).

Kyena
04-13-2005, 02:56 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5782/5782_1113400560_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5782/5782_1113400560_large.jpg)

I finally got a working scanner but I am quite unsure if I can finish this in time. Eitherway I made a new rough sketch and changed her face a bit to a normal human being - also to find a blank yet a bit cocky expression for the face of the dollish character.

I also wanted to see what kind of colors I want to use.

So basically just another idea I am toying with.

NOOB!
04-13-2005, 02:58 PM
looks like sarah michelle gella *buffy*

but its still excellent

Kamjar
04-13-2005, 03:00 PM
wow this looks great! i have a feeling you are gonna win.

Keep it up! :thumbsup:

Kyena
04-13-2005, 03:00 PM
Henning mentioned the same....sometimes I think it might be more useful to actually use 1:1 refererences..my random faces always end up looking like someone else and that's totally bugging me

I didn't use any special kind of ref for this

W-I-L
04-13-2005, 03:23 PM
that looks very good... the facial expression is spot on... can not wiat to see what you do

AlyFell
04-13-2005, 03:23 PM
Hello Tascha! Woohoo! Gorgeous face for this character! I love the mixture of sketchiness and detail so far. Just out of interest, have you ever tried using Alias Sketchbook to rough stuff out with! It's fab, really intuitive and great for getting ideas down quickly...

cha0t1c1
04-13-2005, 04:01 PM
wow natascha great painting skills!
I really like your capabilities(wish I had them ;) )...waiting for more...

Magnemar
04-13-2005, 04:13 PM
Hi Natascha,

I really like the subtlety of shading on the face - there's a nice softness to the features and the upper body that's very pleasing (is that the word I mean?). The colour too is warm but has a note of melancholy about it too. I also really like the hair-strand hanging on the side of the face. Good stuff.

Looking forward to seeing more of the picture...

Keep going: plenty of time left ;)

arkinet
04-13-2005, 04:15 PM
i like the stoic expression, skin tone... great painting job!!

eparts
04-13-2005, 04:19 PM
hi Kyena.

interresting idea. and i love your early scetching so far! great mood to it.. im very interrested in how it will evolve further .. ill be back ;)

good luck :)

walrus
04-13-2005, 04:42 PM
Wow, that's just a really beautiful face rendering! I can't wait to see your style on the entire piece: Keep going, you'll be able to make it in time! :-)
Good luck, and have fun!

-mike

Jezzarts
04-13-2005, 04:49 PM
Nicely rendered... she's beautiful. :love:

fooxoo
04-13-2005, 05:12 PM
The colour scheme looks good. Is it going to be a portrait? I really like the story behind it, very "nowaday". Best of luck, I hope you manage to finish it :D

ArtisticVisions
04-13-2005, 05:34 PM
Beautiful painting you have started, Natascha; your skin tones are very lovely.
Hope you'll be able to finish it. :)

duddlebug
04-13-2005, 05:48 PM
I love the way that face is painted... and the contrast with the rougher bits (the hair on the back of the neck especially!)

I'm glad you've got your scanner working... i wanna see what you've got in mind for the whole image...

Don't make us wait too long!

Maidith
04-13-2005, 06:38 PM
The sketch looks wonderful so far, Kyena! I cannot wait to see how you develop it further. =]

ms@zx
04-13-2005, 07:14 PM
have been long anticipated for ur stuff and it kicked off a very good start.a speed paint and the result is excellent!gosh,i think time wont be a problem if u have the will to complete it:)u just blown me away with this quality and speed.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

keep it coming~

artjunkie
04-13-2005, 07:40 PM
Ooooooh, I love that last post! Your painting style is so amazing! And I love the colour of that 'sketch' too. Brilliant stuff. You got da skills! Can't wait to see your concept develop!

Cheers!

Nehym
04-13-2005, 08:46 PM
Great concept for this character tascha. :) Wish you good luck on this and to have the time to finish what you have in mind. ;)

hdri
04-13-2005, 10:07 PM
Wow!! Really nice work! Amazing colouring skills. Wish you could post some previous steps. I looks so easy to paint in the way you do -and I swear it is not!

Kyena
04-13-2005, 10:18 PM
Kamjar: thanks a lot but I am definately not good enough to compare with all the other more experienced and amazing artists who joined but that doesn't really matter :) I am not even sure yet if I can finish it in time.

W!l: Thanks a lot for the encouragement =)

Aly: thanks and no I have never used Alias Sketchbook (and I don't have it). Is it expensive to get? For some reason - even for rough sketches I feel much more comfortable with normal paper and pencils..I can't really lead the wacom pen like I would do with a pencil

cha0t1c1: thanks a lot =D

Magnemar: That's totally great that you notice the melancholy. That was something I wanted to include.

arkinet: thanks a ton - she is supposed to look a bit supperior but not in a too obvious way

eparts: thanks for the feedback - and grats on ExposÚ3 btw :)

walrus: I hope so - and thanks for the encouragement :D

Jezzarts: thank you =)

fooxoo: hey girl! No not a portrait - I am working on character development right now - working out her face specially because I will have the same face in different angles and expression.

ArtisticVisions: thanks :) skin tones are always a b**** for me..

Duddlebug: My way of speedpainting :D and I am glad I have my scanner back too..it's not that I need it that much but I feel much more comfortable to be able to work from something I did with a real pencil and a paper - even if it is only some lines I can follow. I am following your piece as well and I am a fan of your artworks :)

Maidith: Hi girl =) lovely concept you have going on yourself there and thanks for the compliment.

mx@zx: Gah - I hope you are right..I am still absolutely unsure about the main composition though...character concepts have never been a problem for me ;) . And thanks a lot for the lovely compliment.

artjunkie: Muchas gracias - it's for sure a great encouragement to get such a lovely comment.

Lilie: Many thanks =)

hdri: I would post steps if I had them..I only have one version of this saved and it's on one layer basically..I didn't even look at the time when I painted this. It's what I call a speed paint - I wouldn't even have cared if I totally screwed it up (those pieces normally end up better then the ones I take a lot of time for and am concerned about each little detail). What I do basically is block in the main colors with the sketch as guidline and then smooth them out with a special brush and flow set to 4%..This took me approx. 3 hours I think..

You guys really encourage me - thank you so much. I have been fighting a pretty bad artistic and creative block and I hope it is more or less gone now :)

arkinet
04-13-2005, 10:57 PM
i can symphatize w/ you... havent been painting or drawing for at least 2 years now, then i saw this site. ur work here guys really encourages me to cultivate my skill. right now i have to push forward or else i lose steam, lose interest & be diverted on something else. keep it up kyena, you did a great job... good luck to us all!

Samuraikuroi
04-13-2005, 11:44 PM
Tja,Natascha. Loving the colors so far!! What are you useing to blend your colors? very nice work. :thumbsup:

My master and servent (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=226306)

LuisNCT
04-14-2005, 12:48 AM
Really good painting skills!

minduinho
04-14-2005, 02:37 AM
great colors! i wanna see new images soon.
good luck
cya

Sir-Patroclo
04-14-2005, 03:24 AM
Hi Natascha:

I read your concept and i find it interesting, i'm intrigued how you'll solve conveying those ideas without being too obvious or too obscure, good luck with that! on your coloring sketch, the skin shading is good but could you use some strokes of a blueish tone to add interest, perhaps? and check the neck proportions, maybe is too thick currently. Or no, no, it could be that the muscle that goes from behind the ear to the collar bone (sternocleidomastoideus?) is defined as if it were straight, giving the neck a poligonal look.

Greetings

Sir Patroclo

digital-bobert
04-14-2005, 03:44 AM
Hey Kyena. Nice face. I like how that's turning out. good luck!

Kyena
04-14-2005, 11:23 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5782/5782_1113474194_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5782/5782_1113474194_large.jpg)

Proofed to be much tougher to find a layout that will allow me to have the characters look at eachother, show their faces AND include all the little details and symbols that I want to paint..

I also had different composition doddles on post its (not sure if I should post them or not..they are crappy anyway :)). I was planning to go with a more complicated angle but it is difficult enough for me to find an angle I can show everything I want to..so I am going with a normal side view instead of a low angle one..

ANARKY
04-14-2005, 11:31 AM
This is a really interesting Concept Natascha. You have a lot to get in this image, its going to be a challenge thats for sure.
You have a lovely painting style, and the work done so far looks excellent. I'll be interested to see how you pull this off. You have pleanty of time yet so get cracking!

Good luck!

Eterna2
04-14-2005, 11:33 AM
fantastic!

artjunkie
04-14-2005, 12:11 PM
Ah, yes... the composition begins to emerge! I know it must be difficult to incorporate all the visual storytelling elements you want, but I think you're heading down the right path. Composition can really make or break a painting... and I'm sure yours will be amazing!

Again, I just love your colours in this latest update. That's something I struggle with soooo much. It's inspiring to see other artists (much more talented than myself) and watch their approach to using colour schemes. Brilliant stuff!

Keepin' an eye on this one. Cheers!

Goro
04-14-2005, 12:38 PM
looks really nice!

AlyFell
04-14-2005, 01:42 PM
Tascha, this is looking superb! Your faces are beautiful.

The reason I asked about Alias Sketchbook is it's quite an intuitive sketching tool, and very natural. And knowing how you feel about sketching ;) , I thought you might like a program like that for your PC; that just feels nice with a Wacom. I think it's a free download for the demo version...

NOOB!
04-14-2005, 01:44 PM
wow really coming along amazingly!

Magnemar
04-14-2005, 01:50 PM
Nice idea Natascha.

The poses need work but I think you know that anyway....

The only point I'd say is that the chain is perhaps a little obvious as a motif - could the person be enslaved to the mirror in a subtler way? Perhaps her clothing could be linked into the reflection's clothing so they are wearing a 'siamese' dress? Linked by vanity?

Just an idea.... :)

Kyena
04-14-2005, 02:06 PM
Magnemar - I agree about the chain thing..and I am brainstorming better ideas right now.
The idea with the dress is a really good one though!

Thanks everyone and Aly, I take a look at it :)

W-I-L
04-14-2005, 02:27 PM
the angle is fine.. i would stick with that.. you do not want to give yourself too much to think about.... Loving it.. the painting style is very good.
Post your other compositions... does not matter if they are just doodles. You should see the crap i have posted... just scribbling on paper really.

kornel
04-14-2005, 08:48 PM
It looks very psychotic... i love this feeling!

best regards: KornÚl

Kyena
04-15-2005, 08:19 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5782/5782_1113549569_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5782/5782_1113549569_large.jpg)

I know that it looks pretty static - but I like the subtlety. However I am not sure if I can pull it off to really show the relationship between the characters.

I was thinking of giving it a more fantasy feel to it..making the "Master-Part" floating or something..or as ghostly blurry background figure but somehow I like the more modern approach to this for once.

I was also thinking of giving the characters the same dress..however that would lead to the impression that they are only twins..

Posture for the Master Part is pretty much set thought. Something a bit superior but blank the same time. I was thinking of a more masterly position..placing her on a column or haveing her paint her arm and finger towards the other version of the character but this is all too obvious for my taste.

Magnemar
04-15-2005, 11:07 AM
I think the relationship between the characters is already there in the eye contact between the reflection and the master.

I wouldn't worry about much more narrative than that - a little ambiguity is a good thing in my opinion. Too many modern images try to tell too much of a story.

I'd try and block in and define the space a bit more now...

...and don't go fantasy - there's too much of it about as it is :)

Keep going.

Kyena
04-15-2005, 11:32 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5782/5782_1113561156_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5782/5782_1113561156_large.jpg)

Almost forgot to post this.
Another idea I was toying with for the mirror.

Kyena
04-15-2005, 11:36 AM
Thanks James - that's coming up next :)

fooxoo
04-15-2005, 11:55 AM
Natasha, very cool! I love the idea!!! Thumbs up ( I also like the colours you ve chosen) :D:D

Kyena
04-15-2005, 01:34 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5782/5782_1113568471_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5782/5782_1113568471_large.jpg)

more detail testing..

Kyena
04-15-2005, 01:50 PM
Some more explanations on SOME of the details I am about to add or already added:

The steam on the mirror acts both as message bringer of course and to visualize the fact that if you are too concerned with beauty you most of the time have a slightly "fogged" or changed image of yourself and you need to make an efford to see the "real" self. (not to mention that my bathroom looks like that most of the time before I am finished..)

The chains (not too sure about them yet) should explain that she chained herself to the mirror..and she would have the key to free herself...probably too obvious - pretty unsure about this..

The barcode on the idolized version of the character is there to show that beauty is something you could buy (and I need to make the scars more visable).

Nehym
04-15-2005, 03:59 PM
Ah some more steps! :) I like the way you changed the angle from your original concept, i think it could convey what you want it to ''say'' better this way.

As for the chain/key part that is chaining her to the mirror... I think that you should position the key elsewhere, have it almost hidden but there. I am not sure if you plan to paint some part of a desk or counter in front of the mirror.. If so, you could paint a lot of various beauty products, some opened, some not, some she would have totally emptied there with the key hidden somewhere in that mess, covered with the make up. It would still show that she could free herself but she did not care and prefered the beauty products to chain herself a little more. Like she neglected the key for hey beauty...

Am i making some sense? D:

jadecilcleton
04-15-2005, 05:19 PM
its a strong point of view of an unhappy condition. The execution its great.

cha0t1c1
04-15-2005, 07:40 PM
Oh my god 'Tascha, this is looking deliciously good, quite a delight to watch...

ElTordo
04-16-2005, 02:18 AM
u are taking this to poetry level, i love it, is great.
am eager to se more.

Dulshad03
04-16-2005, 02:25 AM
Man this is freaking creepy...er...Amazing, I mean Amazingly creepy. No matter what it is, it's good, really, really GOOD!:thumbsup::twisted:

tilite
04-16-2005, 11:58 AM
this is fantastic .... dont have time to go over things now but i will be back

GhostInTheMachine
04-16-2005, 12:11 PM
excellent, you have skill! :)

Vectorius
04-16-2005, 01:16 PM
Your Characters look very good..it's a great work..your colors are beautiful...maybe you should work more on facial expression...It's just my feeling..:)

Good luck ..it's great

My Master and Servant entrie
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=226013

Falcorr
04-16-2005, 03:09 PM
Wow. And you said you havent even used any reference? Crazy!

Only thing what i think your picture really needs. Is that both of them should have a reflection in the mirror. Yup thats my idea.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

adia
04-16-2005, 05:49 PM
I'm sure that your artwork has been improved a lot
wish you luck too!

artjunkie
04-16-2005, 06:00 PM
Nice subtle vibe you have between the character, the reflection and the idealized representation of beauty. I especailly like the fact that the main character (seated) although facing the mirror, is actually looking past her reflection at the idealized beauty behind her. Nice touch!

Keep going! I can't wait to see more on this one.

Cheers!

Falcorr
04-16-2005, 07:41 PM
I was just looking at how do people really draw girls. So i came up with this surreal idea for your picture.. What if the woman would be chained to her mirror image.. And the mirror image would be on the viewers side.. So the text would be reversed on the mirror.. As the mirror image would be unsynchronized. They would actually be chained to each other, but doing their different things..

Uhh creepy! So both of them sides could have different text on the mirror.. Also two sets of backdrops.

Well dont listen to me.. Im very glad your picture made me think of this kind of stuff :thumbsup:
Just do your thing!

tilite
04-17-2005, 05:46 AM
falcor just brought up something really interesting... i like the idea... alot! it would change ur concept a fair bit but it is a rather cool idea. i dont know about the 2 sets of text but just a mirrored one. even if that is the only thing u would touch. if u wanted to go further then do the background.

something that would at to the drama of the sceen would be to make sure that she is staring into her own eyes. should try it out.

ive never painted a reflection before i imagine it is exreemly hard... how r u doiing it?

great work

Miyagi
04-17-2005, 06:01 AM
Hi Natasha!

What can I say?...Your concept is incredible...I think you should keep the chains, It would improve the feeling of the girl as a slave of her appearence... keep it coming...I'm eager to see it done.

MyMasterAndServant (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=224272&highlight=Rogerio+Masao)

Sir-Patroclo
04-17-2005, 06:47 AM
Hi Natasha:

Just thought you could find this image of the ideal proportions on a face useful

http://www.instrumental.cl/pics/mask.jpg

Keep on going!

Sir Patroclo

TheFirstAngel
04-18-2005, 02:48 AM
Hey Tascha! I am very happy to see you have taken up your great work again. Your progress is amaizing and i love the way you paint. about the copmpositin, the mirrorpart is awesome. i like the steamsolution very much, it really is awesome. the "watcher closer to the scene helps a lot to get it more compact. it actually is not too obvious this is "one person". but, silly me, i just didn't read so forgive me if i should have brabbled nonsense. I like the work a lot, and am looking forward to your progress. just wanted to come by and wish you best luck! keep it up!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

gorvien1
04-18-2005, 09:44 AM
Wow. This is beautiful. Can't think of anything useful to say. Look forward to seeing your progress. Good luck. :thumbsup:

Solothores
04-18-2005, 10:55 AM
Some more explanations on SOME of the details I am about to add or already added:

The steam on the mirror acts both as message bringer of course and to visualize the fact that if you are too concerned with beauty you most of the time have a slightly "fogged" or changed image of yourself and you need to make an efford to see the "real" self. (not to mention that my bathroom looks like that most of the time before I am finished..)

The chains (not too sure about them yet) should explain that she chained herself to the mirror..and she would have the key to free herself...probably too obvious - pretty unsure about this..

The barcode on the idolized version of the character is there to show that beauty is something you could buy (and I need to make the scars more visable).

Hi Natascha,

Hope you enjoy Greece! Your work is coming along great, just two suggestions though, that ignited when I enjoyed your image.

What about replacing the chain and key subject through a bracelet that more hints that she is cuffed in combination with the reflection of her wrist on the mirror. Regarding the "average looking girl", I have to say that she if far from average looking yet, if you still intend to go that route. The elegant proportions in the face and maybe also the slim figure would still draw here attention where ever she walks. :)

Cheers
Solo

Kyena
04-18-2005, 06:26 PM
Thanks a lot for all the feedbacks. I am not quite sure if I can incorporate eveything I actually wanted and if I can pull it off anywhere with the quality that this should have..I just noticed Linda's second concept and it is quite similar like I pictured mine to be at the end..I already had some tortured faces painted out in the background wall behind the beauty image..they look so similar to hers that I feel totally stupid now :/
The crashed mirror over the reflection of the beauty image like I mentioned at the beginning of my thread as well. Also the expression on the face was supposed to go in the same direction (I planned on reworking it more after I had the basic bone structure done).
So I might take some time and rethink the concept before I go on with this.

Angel: I agree that it is not that obvious it is the same girl yet..it is hard to do that since even I look quite different with normal make up and with everything smeared over my face..I have yet to determine what exactly is not right about the faces so they have actually the same bone structure.

Solothores: I enjoy Greece a lot, thanks very much for mentioning. I am all for not that obvious chains..I keep that in mind - definately.

Sir Patrocolo: thanks!

Falcor: that is a really interesting idea but I think it would make things too complicated. I have yet to be careful not to include too much to confuse the viewer. I do use refs but they never are 100% copied and most of the time I don't find refs which are perfect for what I am looking for. I had a similar picture of me

tilite: I agree - it's an interesting idea but I also fear it would make things too complicated =). The clue is that the characters are NOT looking where they are supposed to. The reflection for example is looking at the beauty self of the character..always comparing herself to the "Ideal". The actual character is actually looking at her reflected (distracted) self. And I had a rough reference image of myself taken like some month ago. It is slightly different but gave me some ideas about the perspective. However I wish I had a better ref =(

artjunky: Oh man thanks so much! I am happy someone noticed the eye contact :D

Fiolka: Thanks and absolutely. The expression is always something I do a bit later. It's like I am trying to get the bone structure done then warp things around (well not warp but move the shadows and highlights around). Her face is supposed to show more terror/despair.

And thanks to everyone else for the encouraging comments. I am normally not a very competitive person and I shy away from everything that is somewhat linked to a contest. I however decided to do this in order to improve both my self confidence and my working way (which is still very bad and crappy when it comes to workflow..)

grafik
04-18-2005, 07:05 PM
incredible work!!! not easy to repicate same face in the mirror!

can wait to see more! keep up and good luck to u!!!

my MASTER & SLAVE:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?p=2138465 (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?p=2138465)

J Cae
04-19-2005, 09:37 AM
Never mind what Enayla does (even though I do love her art). Personally, I wanna see where this is going. Please keep working on it!!

I think you've improved so much over time. The girl to the right in the dark blue dress is definitely one of the best I've seen from you. Her skin is beautiful.

PeterSanitra
04-19-2005, 10:33 AM
You have choosen very nice and moody skin palette.I like it

lonewolf304
04-20-2005, 07:54 AM
looking great, tascha! :)

BaronImpossible
04-20-2005, 01:03 PM
Very nice, no crits so far. Really good mix of detail and painterly-ness. Wish I could get that balance! Great job.

SoniaNotRed
04-20-2005, 07:24 PM
Hi, Kyena!

It's looking great so far! :thumbsup: Love the steam.
And no need to feel stupid because Enayla had a similar idea (the1st_Angel and I discovered we were sharing the same concept, too :D) - you did think of it first and besides she said she was going to stick with her Nature-Humanity concept, so... crack that mirror and imagine away! :)

dondiego
04-20-2005, 08:14 PM
this is awesome. the picture has a lot of mood and feeling. I`m not pretty sure of the chain&key stuff, but I think it adds a figurative sense to the whole image. I didn`t quite understand the standing woman on the right.
maybe isolating the mirror part could make the picture strongest. Maybe not :P
keep going :)

BlacKeri
04-21-2005, 11:52 PM
Wow, Natascha!
I already praised the concept on DA, but I have to say this is looking better and better and better <3
Not like you need it, but I'm still wishing you good luck! :D

xric7
04-29-2005, 02:12 PM
wow.:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
beautiful work.
I love your painting stlye.
look forward to see the next post.
good luck.

stefuse
04-29-2005, 02:21 PM
it looks to be nice concept on selfreflexion and madness !

to be continued !

may the force be with you !
are you goig to stay with theses tones?

so scary !:twisted:

stefuse

french jedi

----------------------------------------------------------
in valiant heart nothing is impossible!
----------------------------------------------------------

My master an Servants (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=223844)
---------------------------------

Solothores
04-29-2005, 02:36 PM
Natascha, get out of the sea and give your chap a rest! We all are eager to see the new updates! :D

Kyena
04-30-2005, 12:15 AM
I am still trying to find my way back to feel motivated enough to work on this more..well the colors will stay like this more or less if I can find the force to finish..the mirror part is more yellowish on the current version I have sitting on my HD.

TheFirstAngel
05-03-2005, 04:13 PM
Just came to see hw you're getting along Tascha, and watch your progress. Hope you find your motivation back soon and everything works fine so far. Keep it up and hope to see your work getting finnished the great way i'm used to seee in all your works. best wishes and greets, keep it up!:wavey:

ilusiondigital
05-03-2005, 04:25 PM
Sweet image, love the plastel colours and the oil sensation, great

cha0t1c1
05-03-2005, 05:39 PM
update update update :love:

fantasio
05-06-2005, 03:22 PM
you here too?

dare you...;-)

good luck,
fant

NinjaA55N
05-07-2005, 09:50 PM
ur rendering skills r amazing. This is also one more different and original aproiach to the master and servant theme and I like it a lot. Nice to see a non monster or death :P entry.. hahaha. Trully great and inspiring work!

demonicoz
05-07-2005, 10:02 PM
Natascha this is coming along very nice, brilliant concept and love the way you apply the paint. Its the smooth quality I love. Also the mood and lighting is very good indeed. Keep going and give us more!! Cant wait to see it finished!

Check out mine and let me know what you think :
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=234420 (http://showthread.php/?t=234420)

All feedback very appreciated!!

Kyena
05-08-2005, 08:58 PM
thanks once more for the encouragement everyone - unfortunately I don't think I can finish this within time. Firstly I am still lacking the passion to work on it more and secondly I am currently a bit swamped with paid projects (and those - of course - come first).

If I can't finish it for the Challenge I will for sure finish it somehow for myself - maybe in a slightly changed and more dynamic version. :)

Good luck to all of you though and I am sorry for not having checked back on other threads more often - I have been sucked into WoW the last two weeks which has been influenced my online and painting time badly :hmm:

AlyFell
05-09-2005, 12:30 AM
I'm really sorry you don't think you'll get this done for the challenge Tascha. Personally I think you were going with an excellent theme, which was developing with your superb rendering skills. I wish you well with it if you decide to complete it... go on... you've still got 9 days... ;)

BlacKeri
05-09-2005, 05:49 AM
Aly is so right! 9 days is a LOT of time! At least I want to think this way (still nowhere near done)XD. Gogogogo Tascha, we're counting on you! :D

TheFirstAngel
05-09-2005, 06:14 AM
hahaha, so the WoW virus caught u! well was keeping away another mate from LotR with the sentence: you just deserve your "prrrrecioussssssss" if u updated... well don't think that works in your case but was worth a try. lol, but at least i hope you put in some efforts here and get it done. Aly is right. nuf time to make it work. so much talent... move your pen! go Tascha go! :bounce: update :bounce: :bounce: update :bounce: :bounce: update :bounce:

cha0t1c1
05-09-2005, 06:18 AM
awwww( :twisted: *talks to himself* so, one is out three hundred to go, patience...) :D

I think u have plenty of time...
come on strap up(er...what did I just say :twisted: ) and get to it....

TheMagnetic
05-15-2005, 11:36 AM
heeeeey!!! Ive never seen this one!! dont know how youve slipped past my all seeing eyeballs. I hope that you dont hate your self. this picture is very beautiful and so sad at the same time. DONT GIVE UP!!! I understand your priorities, and have thrown away many hours of sleep to substitue for painting. As soon as I took on this project my work team went into crunch mode. but if you quit every one else who cared would understand the need to pay bills and keep a good rep. in the industry. I love your painting.aaaaaaaany waaay......like your signature. very insightful..reminds me not to take this for granted. good luck

tlaine
05-18-2005, 02:25 AM
Even though you didnt finish this for the competition, I still look forward to seeing it when you do finish it. You had done a wonderful job, and I loved the concept behind it. :)

arkinet
05-18-2005, 03:31 AM
oh men... im sorry you cant make it on time... youre stuff is amazing, jst cant keep... myself... from sobbing...sob..sob... waaahhh... hey, wheres the emoticon? hehehe, oh well, i wish you the best, I know how it is to prioritize work, God bless you Nata & see around the forum:)

TheFirstAngel
05-21-2005, 06:28 PM
Tasha, as i see, WOw won :D
hey, hope you take it over to the WIP section, love your style, always did!
Have a great and inspiring time, keep on rocking and keep up the love and passion i am used in your artworks! you are one of the most blessed painters i know and i'm looking forward to see more of your beautifull works! see you soon,
cheers
Angel

arkinet: hehe, she's a woman...

CGTalk Moderation
05-21-2005, 06:28 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.