PDA

View Full Version : Master and Servant 2D Entry: Laurent Mordin

Pages : 1 [2]

MDN67
05-04-2005, 05:02 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5781/5781_1115226130_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5781/5781_1115226130_large.jpg)

I added a second light source, I thought that a being of light, locked into a glass ball, would give even more the impression of master and servant, as if the master had enslave any creatures on earth After it, I go can be to attack me in reflexion on the environment

snowkiwi
05-04-2005, 05:22 PM
Powerful contrast lighting on the king demon.

MDN67
05-04-2005, 09:59 PM
thank for comments

MDN67
05-05-2005, 09:33 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5781/5781_1115285604_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5781/5781_1115285604_large.jpg)

i added some light effetcs with tehe second light source, ....please your opinion

camtheman
05-05-2005, 07:22 PM
Looks very dark, and I can feel the submissiveness in your servant. I think your concept nails the emotional requirements of this challenge. Great work! :bounce:

MS thread: http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?p=2245253#post2245253

MDN67
05-06-2005, 08:21 AM
many thanks for this comments

MDN67
05-06-2005, 09:37 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5781/5781_1115372254_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5781/5781_1115372254_large.jpg)

I began the last character, the details of the body and the clothes are made but the shadows are missing. I changed this last character with regard to the line art because he intégrate better has the footnotes of history which will go with the drawing
the criticisms are welcome

Neozoom
05-06-2005, 12:57 PM
na! you become really really better painter than before :)

good work dude!

NOOB!
05-06-2005, 12:58 PM
great,but i still think the characters aren't saturated enough!

Neozoom
05-06-2005, 01:41 PM
WD TEAM est un equipe formée a l'issue de ce concour sur l'idée de depart des pseudonymes en "N" : Nebezial , Neozoom , NOOB and now Nata....
Mais durant le contest calisto qui est une tres bonne amie IRL de Nebezial a rejoint le groupe et W!L aussi .... ainsi est née notre team...

Cette TEAM n'as en AUCUN cas pour but de se donner un avantage pour le Concour... il s'agit juste d'un groupe d'amis qui s'entraide sans nomplus oublier les autres... (la preuve , j'ais personnellement suporté plus de 10 autres membres durant tt la durée du contest :) )

Mais , finalement nous montons un projet ... apres le concour , un site .com sera mis en place pour presenter les travaux de chacuns.... :) et ainsi faire naitre notre association.

voila^^

Lemog
05-06-2005, 02:01 PM
WD TEAM est un equipe formée a l'issue de ce concour sur l'idée de depart des pseudonymes en "N" : Nebezial , Neozoom , NOOB and now Nata....
Mais durant le contest calisto qui est une tres bonne amie IRL de Nebezial a rejoint le groupe et W!L aussi .... ainsi est née notre team...

Cette TEAM n'as en AUCUN cas pour but de se donner un avantage pour le Concour... il s'agit juste d'un groupe d'amis qui s'entraide sans nomplus oublier les autres... (la preuve , j'ais personnellement suporté plus de 10 autres membres durant tt la durée du contest :) )

Mais , finalement nous montons un projet ... apres le concour , un site .com sera mis en place pour presenter les travaux de chacuns.... :) et ainsi faire naitre notre association.

voila^^
Et bien merci, j'en profite pour lire... je me posais la question... des précisions en français, trop cool... good idea mate :scream:

MDN67
05-06-2005, 04:26 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5781/5781_1115396761_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5781/5781_1115396761_large.jpg)

I finished the last character.

But I need your opinions, as made him to me very noticed well NOOB, my characters are can be too much saturated with regard to the BG, I made an attempt desatured four characters
Of what think of it you? 1 or 2

NOOB!
05-06-2005, 04:28 PM
i like the second one better,the character tones seem to match better now.!

MDN67
05-06-2005, 04:29 PM
Neozoom - Thank mate, thank again for your explications

NOOB, yes, i hear you and my last post is with a compare between a satured and desatued pics

Lemog - ben oui, je me posais la question et je trouve que c'est une bonne idée de leur part

monsitj
05-06-2005, 04:45 PM
I alway like desaturate version , so I think I choose 2 but I think its very subtle in my monitor , nice job so far! good luck

xric7
05-06-2005, 04:45 PM
hi..MDN67.:)
i dnno.lokking in my monitor the 1 is look better.because the main character is more outstanding.:)
anyway,u already finish ur lighting?

MDN67
05-06-2005, 06:56 PM
NOOB - Monsiti -Xric7

Thank for your opinion
i hope other artist give me them opinion

MDN67
05-06-2005, 06:59 PM
for Xric 7

Excuse I, but I forgot to answer has your question, concerning the reflexion of light, yes I finished but I think of making rays of light which shall pass by the windows of right-hand side

MDN67
05-07-2005, 01:51 AM
more crits on the choice of pic thank

liiga
05-07-2005, 01:59 AM
I much prefer the 2nd one, but the devil could use a smidge more saturation afterall. Perhaps closer to the top, as the lightsource right above him does give off quite a saturated light afterall. So the devil would be more Nr.1, but the rest more Nr.2.

MDN67
05-07-2005, 07:59 AM
I hear you liiga, and I go can be left the devil and retouched the saturation of the other characters, of a way has to leave the red of the devil

Virtuoso
05-07-2005, 08:52 AM
hi laurent.......I would also agree with #2......But as liiga mentioned I like the devil in #1 better as well....but the rest like #2.......It's all about the fine tuning now ......Real close....well done Laurent....:arteest:

MDN67
05-07-2005, 11:52 AM
Many Thank virtuoso, an other opinion who confirm th choice

jeromoo
05-07-2005, 12:27 PM
Hey MDN67, wow, the architecture is so amazing!! Amazing perspective and details! I think the second one is better because the desaturation works better with the monotony of the environments than the saturated version.

I see some lighting problems here. The male servant at the bottom shouldn't have some lighting at his left side because the orb lamp is above him, so the lighting should be on top of him and shadows play out more at the bottom. Also the demon's lady assistant has a full blown lighting from the same orb lamp, but she is behind the demon a bit, so the demon's shadow should have casted a shadow on her, especially his raised arm. If the moon is quite above the whole environment, then what gives out bluish lighting that seemed to come exactly from the right and doesn't seem to come from the moon itself. The lighting on the servant girl lying at the far bottom looks like there's another light source coming from the foreground, not from the orb lamp. If that's the case, the male servant's back doesn't reflect that foreground light source.

Sorry to give you so many crits like this. I wish you all the best!!!

Miyagu
05-07-2005, 01:09 PM
hi laurent! i´m following this for a while.. but never had the right time to comment.. :)
a little finetuning here and there.. and this can be great!
the question is what are you heading for? if you want realism i think the colors are too saturated and you should desaturate them a little (version2) or put some greens in the orange and some orange in the greens... that would unify the whole image more..

since i´m facing a lot of light-problems in my own work i´m a little focused on that matter right now so forgive me :D.. i think the problem is.. hmm the lights on your objects are overall a little bit too white.. that could be the problem..
because every hard contrast will immediatley catch attention it is good to put the harshest contrast in the center of interest.. right now the picture looks crystal clear.. like in a lucid dream where you can see every single little detail no matter how far away..

another idea is to use some textures.. they could break up the plastic look if you want that..

but otherwise it can be your style so i will not criticise it(<-- then throw my comment away! :blush:)

GhostInTheMachine
05-07-2005, 02:12 PM
hi laurent. i dont think ive looked at this before, its looking good! i think the answer to the saturation is probably half way between. something i would add is colour to the scene as only parts of this image are coloured and the rest looks too greyscale. overlay some crimson or a blue tint to the stonework, it may help the image alot.

MDN67
05-07-2005, 04:57 PM
Jeromoo - You are completely right. I intended to work again the shadows during the finish. For character it is completely true, on the other hand for the light to extèrieur, I did not finish the sky and, in fact, I am going to lighten of thunderstorm, thus, the luminosity should then correspond. Thanks to you for these invaluable advices.

Dunkelgold - I am going to opt for the image 2 while leaving a little of saturation on the demon. Concerning the lights and the reflections too white, I intend, when everything will be stopped working a little the image to make her darker, I have already tempted and I find that the depiction is better, I would post later a comparaison by asking for the opinion of artists

GhostinTheMachine - It is the same answer, I think of rework the image in the darkned and by changing slightly tints of some parts, I would post so that you gave me your opinion

Thanks to you for your constructive comments:thumbsup:

NinjaA55N
05-07-2005, 07:55 PM
Hi! Im more for the pic no.2 coz I think its more realistic.. coz of the ambient light. Great work man! Congratulations esspecially on the characters rendering whish is trully amazing. good luck!

MDN67
05-07-2005, 10:32 PM
thnak for your nice comments mate:thumbsup:

eclipson
05-07-2005, 10:33 PM
:bounce: Neaaat!....looks like there are tons of dettails goin on....great mood dude...yeah!:thumbsup:

Morgy
05-07-2005, 11:36 PM
You have body composition and catedral background. Master and servants are undoubted the more important thing in your picture so they have to look different. Your background is mainly black&white and you have lot of strong black and white in it. This means that it's saturated near to its maximum. I think Leonardo has discovered "sfumato"- the far objects progressively lose of their saturation as farther they are. And the body composition is the nearest thing you have here. So, the bodies have to look more saturated than the background. If you convert your image to Black&White you'll see that the differences between light and dark areas in the background is identical to these in the foreground. And here, in the foreground your only salvation are lurid colors different from those in the background.

That's why I think that the 1st variant is better.:)

MDN67
05-08-2005, 08:09 AM
Thank morgy for your comment. It's an other opinion and a good opinion too, I believe that the best compromise will be to keep( a little of saturation for the devil and then to darken a little the BG for more realism

Miyagu
05-08-2005, 10:23 AM
thunderstorm sounds cool.. *me waiting for updates*
:bounce::bounce::bounce: <-- and cheering a little :)

MDN67
05-08-2005, 01:00 PM
thank for your nice comments

MDN67
05-08-2005, 01:08 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5781/5781_1115557690_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5781/5781_1115557690_large.jpg)

I arrive at the coloring final. I made change of brilliant orientation on the characters as Jeromoo made him to me very exactly notice, I desatured also a little these. I added windows as well as shadows of these. My post fellow man will be on the work of general of luminosity on the image to obtain an atmosphere more Dark. It is again necessary to me to work details of the sky

Miyagu
05-08-2005, 01:51 PM
the new windows are looking good :thumbsup: i like the gothic mood of the building (especially the little demon-sculptures) :twisted:

Guimetz
05-08-2005, 02:12 PM
Just allow me please to try to translate each replies for Laurent, a skillful compatriot, who has to understand what's going on...:)

So...

liiga> Je préfère de loin la seconde, mais le démon devrait être plus saturé après tout. Peut être que la source de lumière juste au dessus de lui répend une lumière suffisament saturée après tout. Donc la saturation du démon serait plus proche de l'image 1, et celle du reste de la seconde.

jeromoo> ...l'architecture est vraiment stupéfiante!! Ainsi que la perspective et les détails!
Je crois que la seconde image est préférable parce que la désaturation fonctionne mieux avec la monotonie de la scène que la version saturée.

Je trouve qu'il y a quelques problèmes d'éclairage. L'homme domestique en bas ne devrait pas avoir d'éclairage à sa gauche parce que la lampe est au dessus de lui, donc l'éclairage devrait être au dessus de lui et les ombres s'étirer d'avantage vers le bas. De même la succube, bénéficie-t'elle d'un plein éclairage depuis cette même lampe ronde, mais elle se trouve légèrement derrière le Démon, donc l'ombre de ce dernier, et en particulier celle de son bras levé, aurait dû se situer également sur elle.
Dans la mesure où la lune se situe assez au dessus de la scène, alors qu'est ce qui donne cet éclairage bleuâtre qui semble venir précisément de la droite et qui ne semble pas provenir de cette première? L'éclairage que subie la femme domestique allongée tout en bas semble prouver l'existance d'une autre source lumineuse située au premier plan n'ayant rien à voir avec la lampe ronde. Si cette source lumineuse existe, alors le dos du domestique homme ne la reflète pas.
Désolé pour toutes ces critiques. Je te souhaite bonne chance pour la suite!!!

dunkelgod>...qu'as tu prévu? Si tu souhaites du réalisme je crois que les couleurs sont trop saturées et que tu devrais légèrement les désaturer (version 2) ou mettre du vert dans le orange ou du orange dans le vert...ce qui unifierait d'avantage l'image.

Dans la mesure où j'ai à faire à de nombreux problèmes de lumières dans mon travail je suis légèrement focalisé là-dessus en ce moment donc ne m'en veux pas...Je crois que le problème est que les lumières sur tes objets sont globalement légèrement trop blanches. Ce qui pourrait être l'origine du problème.
Parce que chaque fort contraste attire immédiatement l'attention, il est préférable de placer le plus fort contraste au centre de l'intérêt. A présent ton image semble claire comme du crystal. Comme dans un rêve lucide où tu peux voir chaque petits détails, peu importe la distance.

Une autre idée serait d'utiliser des textures. Elles pourraient casser l'aspect plastique si tu le souhaites.
Sinon c'est que c'est ton style et je ne le critiquerai pas...

To be continued soon...

MDN67
05-08-2005, 03:55 PM
Dinkelgold - Thank for comments, i'm glad you apprecied my work

Guimetz - Merci pour ton excellente traduction camarade

MDN67
05-08-2005, 04:12 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5781/5781_1115568749_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5781/5781_1115568749_large.jpg)

I made the finish of many parts , I worked the sky and I added flashes of lighting to bring of the reality to the blue light to exterieur.

Now, I worked on several zones of the image to darken it in a way has to make even more an impression of dark scene and of demonic place, for added still this anbiance, I added ray of light, I find that it produces well but I am not very sure of me

I ask you your opinion , that think of being you best, embellish with images 1 or 2 ?

Please, answer!!!!!

liiga
05-08-2005, 04:49 PM
Hmm. From thumbnail my first choice was nr.2, but when I saw it bigger, I wasn't so sure. I love the gloomy atmosphere in nr.2, but the characters get a little lost. In fact they get so dark that the fuchsia lightsource above gets too much focus. Also, keep in mind that monitor brightness differs. I am viewing it on an LCD, which in general tend to be lighter than CRT ones in the darker tones. So I think a number of viewers will find nr.2 hard to see. Have you tried a version with background like in nr.2, but characters like in nr.1? Actually now that I look closer, the devil in nr.2 has lost some ambient lighting, which is important for defining volume. Also, in nr.2 the gem on his belt is a stronger focal point than his face - something best avoided. Have you thought about giving the devil strong glowing eyes? It would give you a chance to a) bring focus on his face, b) add more ambient light, c) control the level of saturation easier.

MDN67
05-08-2005, 05:42 PM
Thank for your best crits liiga, i wait others opinion and i reworked some parts

ace4016
05-08-2005, 09:10 PM
I prefer #2, but I think in #2 the devil and man are too dark. Keep it up:thumbsup: .

Morgy
05-09-2005, 01:08 AM
Sorry I didn't mention it, but sfumato (or "depth of field" in 3D) also means that farther objects loose of their contrast too. I think that a good way to separate the background is to darken the whites there. Why only whites? Because of your strong black everywhere you already have a good "dark" atmosphere. If you desaturate the blacks like in variant 1 you get only dry anaemic grey. If you use Photoshop (I use PS 6) you can use Image\Adjust\Selective Color then choose "Whites", check "Absolute" method and move the "Black" slider forward. Don't forget to look for the brightest areas- for some higher values of blacks they'll become darker than the adjacent bright areas. You can repeat this with "neutral" colours ( veery carefully- I got a good result at about +15% on your last large entry). And all this only on the background (don't do it on the figures,throne,stairs or glowing ball). Don't worry about the red light from the attic. I recommend that you do this only if you've finished with coloring the picture. Well, that's it:bounce: If you like the result - use it:)

MDN67
05-09-2005, 10:13 AM
Ace 4016 - Thank for your opinion. It is possible that the BG in this way leaves and that I work again on character

Morgy - Thank for constructive crits, If I indeed understands , you say that I should worked on the coorection of the white of a way has to leave brilliant refraction, who shall then allow to keep the volume while leaving dark zones in the state or her are, I tested your advices on the BG but there is not really of difference. I think that you made him on the whole image, I go tested by merging layers. Still please interest you in my work by giving me of good advices

Vectorius
05-09-2005, 12:09 PM
Your effects of lights give well,:thumbsup: but you should attenuate them I find... They are too present for me and so they take too much importance in comparaison with the whole image .
Maybe you should attenuate the reflection of this effects in the big red diamond...

So good luck:) and keep it up

SoniaNotRed
05-09-2005, 02:37 PM
Cool set!! It kind of makes my hands itch to make it 3D! LOL! :D
Great choice of perspective and good colors. :thumbsup:

I wanted to offer some help with your dillema, but I'm afraid I can't make up my mind about wich of the 2 pics is best... :sad:
The darker jewel on the ceiling looks better but maybe the characters shouldn't be that dark (both in pic 2). In spite of the strong lightning, that huge globe is glowing strong quite close to them... I don't know...

Good luck! :)

Morgy
05-09-2005, 06:23 PM
I wouldn't say this if I haven't already done it. I did the following ->1. Made a mask for the background because I don't have your BG and FG separated 2. Entered the Image\Adjust\Selective Color menu. 3. Checked the "absolute" method and chose "white" colours. 4. Moved the "Black" slider to +32%. 5. Chose "Neutral" colours and moved the "Black slider to +15%. I did this on your previous update's BG
Hmmm, the result is veeeery-very different background:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :)

SpiritDreamer
05-09-2005, 10:47 PM
Hi Laurent:
I was just checking our your challenge piece, Great Job!
They BOTH look Excellent....
But when I squint my eyes there's something about #2.
The lighting and shadows come together,
and give it that dramatic feel I think you're trying to and have achieved.
Plus those light beams entering from the side give it the air and atmosphere that it needs.
Kind of breaths life into it.
Just my opinion, though.
Like I said. They are both excellent, but I think #2 has a oneness about it.
Unity of Light and Shadow kind of thing.
Anyway
Great Piece!:)
Take care
Glenn

Guimetz
05-10-2005, 03:38 PM
Just allow me please to try to translate each replies for Laurent, a skillful compatriot, who has to understand what's going on...:)

So...

liiga>...pour les onglets mon choix se portait pour le second, mais quand je l'ai vu à sa taille réelle, je n'étais plus si sûr. J'adore l'athmosphère sombre du second, mais les personnages s'y perdent un peu. En fait ils sont tellement sombres que la source de lumière fuchsia au dessus attire trop l'attention. De plus prend en considération que la luminosité des écran diffère. J'utilise un LCD qui en général tend à être plus clair que les CRT dans les tons sombres. Donc je pense qu'un certain nombre d'entre nous auront du mal à voir le second. As tu essayé une version avec l'arrière plan du 2 et les personnages du 1? Maintenant que je regarde tout ça de plus prêt le démon du 2 a perdu de la lumière ambiante, qui est importante pour définir le volume. De plus dans le 2, la gemme sur sa ceinture attire plus l'attention que son visage. Il manque quelque chose. As tu pensé à donner au démon un regard fort rougeoyant? Ce qui te permettrait a) d'attirer l'attention sur son visage, b) d'ajouter de la lumière ambiante, c) contrôler plus facilement le niveau de saturation.

Morgy>...sfumato veut également dire que les objets lointains perdent également de leur contraste. Je pense qu'une bonne façon de séparer l'arrière-plan serait d'y assombrir les blancs. Pourquoi les blancs? Grâce à tous ces noirs forts partout tu disposes déjà d'une bonne atmosphère sombre. Si tu désatures les noirs comme dans la première variante tu n'obtiens qu'un gris sec anémique. Si tu utilises Photoshop...<manipulation>...N'oublies pas de rechercher les zônes les plus claires. Pour certaines valeurs de noir plus élevées elles deviendront plus sombres que les zônes claires adjacentes. Tu peux répéter ceci avec les couleurs "neutres"...et tout ceci uniquement sur l'arrière-plan...Ne te soucie pas de la lumière rouge en provenance du grenier. Je te recommande de t'atteler à cette tâche une fois l'image coloriée...si tu aimes le résultat, use-en!

ThierryS
05-10-2005, 05:13 PM
Laurent, a plus et merci pour tes "posts" et commentaires. Bonne chance pour ta finition et pour le résultat final. Ton image est vraiment impressionante:thumbsup: :) , chapeau bas!

Thierry

beelow
05-10-2005, 07:16 PM
The second one does it for me. It seems a little dark, the character I mean and focus seems to go to the glowing orb thingy. But, other than that keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

Miyagu
05-10-2005, 08:18 PM
hi, i hope you don´t mind me doing this! :) i did a quick test on version 1 and here is the result..

http://www.dunkelgold.de/pics/overpaint.jpg

the composition and all the details are finished and looking good.. you have only one problem: the center of interest.. i thought it would be cool to focus on the devil on the thrown.. (i didn´t touch the details: but the green diamond on his belt should be a little bit darker.. because the devils face should be more important than the devils diamond-belt..:))

you can work with photoshops layers to get the effect..
i copied your original version 1 picture in a second layer above the first and cut the center with the elliptical marquee tool away.. the selection was feathered (select -> feather) to get a nice transition.. not a hard cut.. ok.. now i choose "multiply" in the layers box and switched the opacity slider a little to 74%.. the result is that the picture looks darker to the borders and stays the same in the center (-->we cut the center away)

i added a new layer above and put a glowing red gradient with 23% opacity over the devil.. as if the red light from the diamond in the ceiling would shine down on the devil.. it looks a little blurry but you can experiment with that a little.. to get the effect that you want..

:) i hope this is helpful.. since it´s really a nice picture.. and as i said: it´s nearly finished, you only need to tweek a little with the values (lights+shadows)

keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

spacesnail
05-10-2005, 09:32 PM
Hello Laurent

picture #2 with some tweakings
You've done a great picture :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Good luck

Manu

MDN67
05-12-2005, 06:35 AM
Sorry not to have answered nor to post the other etape but I had crash my hard disk and I had problem of connection in the site

Fiolka - Thank for your comments, yes the ray of light are perhaps too présent, i correct this
Merci pour tes commentaires min fieu, et j'te diso bonne chance pour c'te challenge

soniaNotRed - Thank for comment, it's the general opinion than the correction for the background is good and than it's the 2 the best, but the characters are too dark, i correct this with the conseil of Morgy

Morgy - Many thank for your comment mate, it's true the background with your technique is best, very much thank at you:beer:

Glen Gallegos - Thank for your kind comments guy. I hear you like the other artist you prefer the 2, Ok, with many corrections on the characters

Guimetz - Hey Guillaume, merci pour les traduc, cela m'aide bien pour tout comprendre:beer:

Thierry2005 - Merci pour tes commentaires, et bonne chance à toi aussi

Beelow - Thank for comments. You are like the other artist you prefer the 2 with a correction in the characters too dark, Ok i understand now and The 2 was too my preference

Dunkelgold - Wow, This correction on my work is very nice, it puts well there valor the devil, but the only problem it is that I do not think that the orbe is rather brilliant for the lighting so, it would not make realist, I am nevertheless going to try to redo what you proposes me

Spacenail - Many thank for comments mate

MDN67
05-12-2005, 06:42 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5781/5781_1115880172_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5781/5781_1115880172_large.jpg)

I brought modifications as good suggestion had advised it me. I chose the image 2 but I have remove the dark on the characters

Vectorius
05-12-2005, 07:59 AM
Thank you very much Laurent!!it is a comment which pleases extremely to me!!:scream:
I like so much the work of Moebius! And I will also add that my influences also come from Otomo...Remember AKIRA!! The best movie for me!!:)

MDN67
05-12-2005, 09:35 AM
yes i know akira the best japanese animation movies, a great film

Matt-Bortolino
05-12-2005, 01:27 PM
Wonderful lighting & shading on this, the architecture & backlight effect look amazing. If I was to crit anything, it would be the balance of the composition- the characters at the bottom look a bit squashed into the frame, & maybe undersized (compared to the other human character in the background). If you've got time, maybe you could do some scaling transforms on the image & make more room at the bottom of the frame & enlarge the servants a little, & perhaps reduce a bit from the top (maybe with some sort of perspective or spherical distortion, so the columns in the background arc upwards slightly instead of being straight lines). You'll lose a little image fidelity with any sort of scaling operations, but I think with just a few paintover tweaks it should work.

MDN67
05-12-2005, 03:34 PM
Thank you for your comments. The fact that both character in front plan are smaller is because they are human beings, while two others are one succubus and a master demon. They are bigger. The purpose also was to strengthen the impression of master and servants.

camtheman
05-12-2005, 03:56 PM
Hi MDN67,

I love your style and this work has such a dark and sinister feel to it. Very nice piece...Good luck in the challenge!

My M&S thread:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?p=2272378#post2272378

Fahrija
05-12-2005, 04:01 PM
Hi Laurent,

looks very impressive > reminds me of an image from a Conan the barbarian scene.

I wish you good luck for the finishing line.

regards
fahrija

calisto-lynn
05-12-2005, 04:06 PM
very nice!:thumbsup:

Guimetz
05-12-2005, 05:14 PM

So...

dunkelgold>...J'éspère que tu ne m'en voudras pas pour cela! J'ai fait un essai rapide sur la version 1 dont voici le résultat:

La composition ainsi que les détails sont maintenant terminés et sont bons. Ton seul problème: le centre d'attention. J'ai pensé qu'il serait bon de le cibler sur le démon sur le trône (je n'ai pas touché aux détails: mais l'émeraude sur sa ceinture pourrait être légèrement assombrie)..parce que le visage du démon devrait avoir plus de valeur que son émeraude.

tu peux travailler avec les calques dans Photoshop pour obtenir cet effet...
J'ai copié l'image originale de ta version 1 dans un second calque au dessus du premier, et j'ai coupé le centre avec une sélection en forme d'ellipse...la sélection a été adoucie (CTRL + ALT + D) pour obtenir une bonne transition...Aprés j'ai choisi "produit" dans la palette des calques et j'ai légèrement réduit l'opacité du calque jusqu'à 74%. Résultat des courses: l'image est plus sombres à la périphérie mais n'a pas bougé au centre (nous nous sommes débarrassés du centre)

J'ai ajouté un nouveau calque par-dessus et y ai placé un dégradé rougeoyant avec une opacité de 23% sur le démon. Comme si ce dernier reflêtait la lumière rouge qui provient du plafond. Ca donne quelque chose d'un peu flou mais tu peux un peu expérimenter la chose pour obtenir l'effet que tu désires.

J'éspère que ça t'aidera..dans la mesure où c'est une belle image..et comme je l'ai dit: c'est presque terminé tu as juste besoin d'ajuster un peu les réglages (ombres+lumières)

Garde le cap!

MDN67
05-12-2005, 05:40 PM
Cameron Gardner - Thank for your kinds comments

Fahrija - Thank mate

Calisto - Many thank

Guimetz - Hé bien encore une traduc d'enfer, merci l'ami

Miyagu
05-12-2005, 05:57 PM
wow.. looking good! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

xric7
05-12-2005, 05:58 PM
hi..MDN67
great work!:bounce: :thumbsup:
love ur lighting a lot.
good luck,mate.:)

MDN67
05-12-2005, 06:55 PM
Dunkelgold - Thank you for your comments, I think that the nextpost will be the last final coloringl, I applied your technique for brigthness the center of the image, thank you still

xric7 - Many thank mate

MDN67
05-12-2005, 10:32 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5781/5781_1115937136_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5781/5781_1115937136_large.jpg)

I have still retouched some parts, especially on contrast. I think that now the image is enough homogene, the darkness anbiance is there. I used advice and the technique of Dunkelgold to make brilliant reflexion of the walls of the cathedrale, in the bottom, in quoted by the nave, it strengthens the depth. I think that I do not go any more touch in the image, can be still some reglages, but the final image should look like it

MDN67
05-12-2005, 10:49 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5781/5781_1115938167_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5781/5781_1115938167_large.jpg)

OOOPS!!!
I forgot a layer

cyberarts
05-12-2005, 11:09 PM
What i like the most is your background. I really feel the depth. I like the ambiance too and the details of the surrounding. ho and I like your demon. it's not easy to draw body in that camera view. Keep up with your good work!

Good luck!

beelow
05-13-2005, 12:46 AM
Nice perspective...Good Stuff! keep up the good work and Good Luck!:thumbsup:

Lemog
05-13-2005, 06:00 AM
Yes it's really better for me... especially when you don't forget the ray lights :scream: hahahaha... sorry :)

I study for few minutes your picture... and finally... 2 little points appear to me...
- colors are very hard, fresh but hard... I thinl that will be good to unify a little the global tones level of your picture... to have a particular mood in total adequation with your topic...
Simple at the final to add a layer with color in "obsurcir" fusion by exemple, and to play with the %...
- many elements of the picture are too centered for me... you want to exprim something disturbing, chaotic... you can destructured simply the scene by deformation in Photoshop...

I send you an exemple by PM... you will see better my actual feeling for your picture Laurent...

Seeya :thumbsup:

MDN67
05-13-2005, 07:56 AM
cyberarts - Thank for your kind comments mate

Beelow - Thank guy

Lemog - Effectively, I could can be to retouch still the saturation, for the deformation, I do not think. Thank you for your constructive comments laurent

MDN67
05-13-2005, 10:17 AM
thank for comments mate

Miyagu
05-13-2005, 11:35 AM
hi laurent!

"305" is looking very good too i think.. decision decision.. :) i really love your architecture of the building.. and the (sleeping? dead?) lady in the front is worthy to be shown in an own BIG picture because she is just beautyful! :thumbsup:

MDN67
05-13-2005, 01:23 PM
Many thanks for your kind comments, but don't forget you give me an precious aid, :beer:

TheFirstAngel
05-13-2005, 02:36 PM
Salut Laurent, ca ces't magnifique, bien sur, gars!LOve your details, the ceiling is a kickass part i royally dig! Reminds me the chaos sanctuary, wich brings back so many great memories!
I like these raylights a lot, they are a nice final touch on your piece. i agree with Benita, could u post a closeup of that girl? She really is a highlight and worth a lil xtrashowcase :)
keep on rocking, keep up ypur great work!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

MDN67
05-13-2005, 03:51 PM
The 1st_angel - Many thanks for your kinds comments. I try post a close up of the woman (she's dead ), before the post of the final image

MDN67
05-13-2005, 05:49 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5781/5781_1116006573_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5781/5781_1116006573_large.jpg)

This is a close up of the woman servant, like me ask guys

spacesnail
05-13-2005, 11:01 PM
Hello Lau

nice job so far :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Just one crit : her left boob is a little too plain

Son sein gauche est peu trop proéminent... Si je peux me permettre aussi, puisqu'elle est morte, peut-être faudrait-il donner à sa tête un angle différent. Actuellement, on a presque l'impression qu'elle renifle les orteils du personnage de gauche... sans vouloir te vexer le moins du monde :)

A part çà, j'aime beaucoup l'éclairage de ta scène

Manu

xric7
05-13-2005, 11:35 PM
nice detail.:thumbsup:
Just one crit : her left boob is a little too plain

i agree with this most important point.:drool: hehe.
good luck,mate.

MDN67
05-14-2005, 05:18 AM
spacenail - Concerning the position, I go can be to change it, if I have the time, concerning her,boob I remove ) a little of prothese

Xric7 - Thank for comments, for the boob same reponse, It is distressing, I liked this boob:)

MDN67
05-14-2005, 10:16 AM
many thank mate

djinx
05-14-2005, 09:14 PM
nice work, i like you're picture

MDN67
05-15-2005, 06:07 AM
Many thanks guy

MDN67
05-15-2005, 10:57 AM
thank mate

Virtuoso
05-15-2005, 12:37 PM
Nice closeup laurent.....You have put otgether a wonderful piece here....nice architecture and characters all around........I wish you the best as you go on........:arteest:

NinjaA55N
05-15-2005, 01:54 PM
Great details man! I think that her breats arent the same size.. or something.. donno, something strange is there. Maybe her left breast goes too much up, looks hard as a rock :) Otherwise looks really nice.

MDN67
05-15-2005, 04:34 PM
Virtuoso - Thank for your nice comments mate

NinjASS - Yes, your are the second person who say me that problem and i try to change this, thank for your comments guy

NOOB!
05-15-2005, 07:05 PM
amazin man!

MDN67
05-15-2005, 09:17 PM
many thanks mate and good luck for world domination

MDN67
05-16-2005, 04:22 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5781/5781_1116260565_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5781/5781_1116260565_large.jpg)

I think of having finished my image I have write a little history to explain it

The punishment of maïkal

It happened a so long time ago that all the written works have been lost and the actual books do not even report it....Good and evil forces conflicted with each other. The battles became fabulous because the magic had being used as it had never been before. Hordes of devils, followed by every single entities living in Hell faced light-creatures armies.

In such troubled times, the dark forces won and several obscurs centurys followed on Earth under the domination of devils who, having shared out the world, became real tyrants, enslaving men and every living creatures of Gaia.

In order to establish their authority and to materialize it, they ordered the construction of huges residences, symbols of their power, and made men worship the dark forces.

Therefore, they erected Katedrals, huge constructions decorated with many sculptures describing demons. In each one of them was put a krull orb, real gate between Hearth and Hell, which permited squads of dark creatures of the ether to break at anytime.

At this point used to reign Esmaroth, the "purple king" of the Hell, absolute master of the evil hordes and chief of demons-lords living on Earth. His Katédraël was the hugest and his orb allowed him to see everything which was happening on Gaia. He was the only one to edict laws and to make them applied his way, always in hatred and violence.

although we don't know exactly today when all this happened we know that it lasted many centurys. One don't know exactly how ended the purple king reign. One tell that men, terrified by Esmaroth power found a guide, whose the name was Maïkal. He was a peasant born during the evil reign.Thanks to the strength of his youth, he fought against the demons laws and managed to organize a small army made of men, resisting against hordes of Trolls which were trying to steal their small harvest. But Esmaroth heard about Maïkal schemes and ordered that one would bring him in front of him. In order to punish him, he spared his life but killed
his young wife to make him suffer as long as he would live.

Set free, Maïkal stood several years prostrate, but his hatred of demons made him come near with the divine forces, which touched by his eternel love his wife made him still feeling , decided to raise for him a new army to face Esmaroth, and save the humanity.

The brave and willfull Maïkal, leading the light creatures, won against Esmaroth hordes, setting free the world from darkness.

One tell, that afterward, to reward him, Gods opened for him their kingdom door for the eternity.

FRENCH VERSION

la punition de Maïkal

A une époque si lointaine que les écrits se sont perdus et que les livres d’aujourd’hui n’en parlent pas. En des temps si reculés, que les historiens n’ont put en conserver la mémoire, les forces du mal et du bien entrèrent en conflit. Les batailles fûrent fabuleuses, la magie étant utilisée comme jamais auparavant. Des hordes de démons, accompagnés de toutes les entités peuplant les enfers, affrontèrent les armées de créatures de lumière.

En ces temps troublés, les forces ténébreuses l’emportèrent, et la terre des hommes vécue de nombreux siècles obscurs, sous le joug des démons qui, s’étant partagés le monde, s’érigèrent en véritables tyrans, asservissant les hommes et toutes les créatures vivantes de Gaia.

Afin d’asseoir leur pouvoir et de le matérialisé, ils firent construire de vastes demeures, emblème de leur puissance, et firent que les hommes vouent un culte sans défaut aux forces ténébreuses.

C’est ainsi que, du sol, surgirent les katédraëls, gigantesques constructions aux multiples sculptures imageant les démons de l’enfer. Dans chacun de ces édifices était placée une orbe de krull, véritable pont entre la terre et les enfers, permettant ainsi aux escouades de créatures obscures de l'éther, de déferler à tous moments.

A cette époque, régnait alors, Esmaroth, le « roi pourpre » des enfers, maître absolu des hordes démoniaques et chef des seigneurs-démons vivants sur terre. Sa Katédraël était la plus grande et son orbe lui permettait de voir tout ce qu’il se passait sur Gaia. C’est lui qui édictait les lois et les faisait appliquer à sa manière, toujours dans la haine et la violence.

Si ces temps nous sont aujourd’hui inconnus, ils ont pourtant duré des siècles. Nul ne sait vraiment comment a pris fin le règne du Roi Pourpre. On raconte que les hommes, terrifiés par la puissance d'Esmaroth, trouvèrent un guide, il s'appelait Maïkal. C'était un paysans naît sous le règne du mal. Par la force de sa jeunesse, il s'opposa aux lois des démons et réussis a lever une petite armée d'homme, résistant aux groupes de troll venant piller leur maigres récoltes. Mais Esmaroth eu connaissance de ses agissements et le fît venir devant lui. Pour le punir, il le laissa en vie, mais tua sa jeune épouse afin qu’il souffre le restant de sa vie.

Laissé libre, Maïkal, resta de longues années, errant parmis les terres désolées, mais la haine des démons le fît se présenter devant les puissances divines qui, touchés par l'amour éternel qu’il portait encore à son épouse, décidèrent de lever une nouvelle armée pour combattre Esmaroth, et sauver les hommes de leur noir destin.

A force de volonté et de courage, Maïkal, à la tête des créatures de lumière, vainquis les hordes d'Esmaroth, libérant ainsi le monde des ténèbres.

Il est dit qu'ensuite, pour le récompenser, les dieux l'accueillir dans leur royaume pour l'éternité.

The translation of French in English was made by my friend Guimetz and I thank him , It would have been impossible for me to make it, my English being really bad (I should maybe return to the school)

I am very happy to have participated in this challenge, I have still taught it new things the contact of very great artists who participate in this competition

I would like to thank all the artists who encouraged me during this supernatural challence

ace4016, NinjaASSN, Fahrija, Kyena, Kalemma, Spacenail, Monsitj, Element5, Lemog, NOOB, sketchfiend, WIL, Adrianna, Wussie, Airborn, nebezial, coldfront, scootermaya, Lilie, BlueEyeLizard, Virtuoso, CgTalk member, Climax, Tommy Lee, Don_acme, Pierrick, Riddick, ms@zx, Wussie, jstardust, ninox, teknotek83, Lady Medusa, Neozoom, Baron Impossible, Eclipson, Rhenia, Dogdoy, kuzgunoglu, oro, Ranath, OKMER, OliveBeard, sethart, mack72, Laramus Maximus, lynch, tuck, am7, JakubFromOz, Tranchefeux, cgkrusty, walrus, ogar555, JMcWilliams, calisto, Squibbit, falcor, wireFrame, Gamoron, fooxoo, Fiolka Alexandre, beelow, Freiyer, CoreyArtE, BlacKeri, ilusiondigital, xric7, gulliver3, jugeras, Aradiael, thierry2005, Art2, David01, Samuraikuroi, snowkiwi, Cameron Gardner, liiga, GhostinTheMachine, SoniaNotRed, Glenn Gallegos, 'mb, cyberarts, djinx

And special Thank to :
Guimetz, for his goods translations
Morgy, for his help
jeromoo for his constructive crits
dunkelgold for his help

I hope to find everybody during the next challenge and I wish good luck to all the participants

xric7
05-16-2005, 07:46 PM
congratulations..!!:bounce: :applause: :thumbsup:
one of the best in this challenge.
best luck in this contest.:buttrock:

Miyagu
05-16-2005, 08:01 PM
hi laurent!

:bounce::bounce::bounce: congrats on the finished picture! and the lady is really a beauty.. :)

very moody ... great architecture..

i wish you the best luck for the contest!!! :thumbsup:

cheers!

benita

arkinet
05-16-2005, 09:16 PM
ahhhh... the final image... great work dude, & good luck... btw thnx for all your input on my stuff, its highly appreciated!!:bounce:

ace4016
05-16-2005, 10:21 PM
Congrats on the final. You have done a great job on this. Good luck and best wishes.

BlueEyeLizard
05-16-2005, 11:04 PM
Looks good!

MDN67
05-17-2005, 05:15 AM
Xrick7 - Thank for comments, i'n happy ypu apprecied this pic

Dunkelgold - Many thank to you anf again thank for your help

Lemog
05-17-2005, 05:20 AM
Congratulations Laurent... bien joué ! and thank you for the story... I understand all now... You're a great artist :arteest:

nebezial
05-17-2005, 06:59 AM
whoa man u made it, awesome work, u can rest now:thumbsup:

TheFirstAngel
05-17-2005, 07:28 AM
Freakin' awesome Job Laurent, this piece hellish rocks!!! congrats on your final piece and best of luck now on the final judgments, :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

MDN67
05-17-2005, 12:53 PM
Lemog - Thank for your comments mate, content que l'histoire soit explicite

Nebezial - Thank for your kinds comments guy

spacesnail
05-17-2005, 01:07 PM
Nicely done Laurent !:thumbsup:

Wish youg ood luck

Cheers

Manu

jeromoo
05-17-2005, 01:30 PM
Wow, glad you finally fixed the lighting. It all looks so much better now! The architecture looks very menacing, cold and powerful at the same time! Brilliant! :applause:

By the way, its a pleasure to help you out. Yeah, and see you again at the next challenge. I'll keep it in mind to look for you there! :)

All the best with the final judging! Congratulations!

MDN67
05-17-2005, 02:44 PM
BlueEyeLizard - Thank for comments

the1st_angel - Many thanks for comment

spacenail - thank mate

NOOB!
05-17-2005, 02:50 PM
excellent image!

MDN67
05-17-2005, 04:37 PM
jeromoo - Thank for comments mate, and again thank for your help

NOOB - Thank for comment guy

ErwinM
05-17-2005, 05:59 PM
Hey Laurent, great work. It's very clear who the master is in this painting. Great jestures and Nice lighting and good luck.

Erwin

MDN67
05-17-2005, 08:27 PM
Erwinm - Thanfor your kinds comments

MDN67
05-18-2005, 05:24 AM
thank for the comments

eparts
05-18-2005, 10:21 AM
your picture really shows the dominance of the master.. the angle and the huge hall makes you feel very small.

great image! lots of impressions.

good luck
egil

3dRaven
05-18-2005, 11:09 AM
Whoa I thought this was a 3d entry till I saw the challenge page :D. Great perspective skills. You got a real nice camera angle setup. The final looks great :thumbsup:

Good luck :)

TeemuR
05-18-2005, 11:55 AM
Your final image definately looks great! Interesting composition and very solid lighting in the scene. :cool: Good luck with the challenge! :) :thumbsup:

maurodelia
05-18-2005, 12:19 PM
hey, very nice lightining and camera angle
exelent work !

good luck on the chaleng!

mmoir
05-18-2005, 03:48 PM
Hey Laurent,
Thats a great image:thumbsup: , I like the perspective in the image as well. I enjoyed the story, it was like a mini book. Great job and good luck.

Vectorius
05-18-2005, 03:50 PM
Good luck man and merci pour tes commentaires! the luck be with you!:scream:

MDN67
05-18-2005, 04:39 PM
eparts - Thank for your kinds comments

3dRaven - I apprecied you beleive it's a 3d pic, thank for comments

TeemuR - Tnhank for your comments mate

NinjaA55N
05-18-2005, 05:26 PM
Overall a great great pic, almost like 3d :) It was a nice trip watching ur threat so good luck with the judges!

MDN67
05-18-2005, 06:45 PM
maurodelia -thank for comments

mmoir - Many thanks, i'm glad you apprecied the story

Fiolka - Thank for comment

MDN67
05-18-2005, 08:44 PM
Thank for your nice comments mate

lutzw
05-18-2005, 09:05 PM
Hi MDN67, now that the challenge is over, I just wanted to quickly say thx for your nice comment about my work... :) <- Lutz

Squibbit
05-18-2005, 09:12 PM
so how many stones you painted total ?

i-popba
05-18-2005, 09:24 PM
Amazing.! love composition, details and light,.

anzibon
05-18-2005, 10:20 PM
i think this would make an outstanding 3D peice. you've got such a striking perspective looking up into that cathedral ceiling. really outstanding work. makes me want to go watch Legend and hear Tim Curry's voice.

thumbs up!
~B

wireFrame
05-19-2005, 02:09 AM
Hey, Laurent!

Congratulations for successfully pulling it off! The way you paint is far different from the rest ('you know...). Great work! I hope to see more of your work here. Be here for the next challenge ( a winner can join again). Haha!

Cheers to you!

Slav
05-19-2005, 02:22 AM
you base you image upon a very deep and articulated story line. i am now away you have taken great care in working out the story behind the image as well. i wish to read this later but its getting much to late for me to do so now. great image. :thumbsup:

MDN67
05-19-2005, 06:00 AM
lutzw - No problemo, it's because i apprecied your pic:thumbsup:

Squibbit - I don't know, but it was hard to paint all this stone one by one

I-popba - Than for your comments

anzibon - Many thanks mate, i'm glad you apprecied my work

wireFrame - Thank for your nice comments mate

tuck
05-19-2005, 06:10 AM
congratulation on ur final image.

best luck in contest.
cheers.:thumbsup: :)

MDN67
05-19-2005, 10:13 AM
Slav - Thank for comment, i hope you apprecied the story

Tuck - Thank anf good luck to you

Riddick
05-19-2005, 11:06 AM
Hey MDN67, it is incredible how much your picture looks like a CG!!
The sensation of size is really impressive and the characters really cool!
Good luck!!
Good luck!

MDN67
05-19-2005, 11:44 AM
Thank for your kinds comments mate

Mythmaker
05-19-2005, 11:48 AM
Nice work - Very dramtic! - Good luck for the finals...

Vectorius
05-19-2005, 11:50 AM
Bonne chance cher compatriotes!!:scream: nice picture! good job! see you to the next challenge..i hope..:)

dogdoy
05-19-2005, 11:58 AM
Oh... elegance...

The camera angle is so cool..

Good luck!

See ya Next Challenge!

Wojtala
05-19-2005, 12:06 PM
Very nice illustration. so many interesting details ... nice one.

Good luck! See You around :)

MDN67
05-19-2005, 03:48 PM
Mythmaker - Thank for comments

Alexandre - Merci l'ami, bonne chance à toi aussi

dogdoy - Many thanks for comments

Wojtala - Thank mate

MDN67
05-19-2005, 07:17 PM
many thanks for comments mate

element5
05-19-2005, 11:54 PM
:applause: amazing finish on your image...you have done a great job :thumbsup:

beelow
05-20-2005, 12:00 AM
Really nice stuff, thanks for your support in mine although I have not finished mines, but many thanks. Good Luck with your Entry...See You next challenge!:thumbsup:

MDN67
05-20-2005, 01:56 AM
element5 - Thank for comments mate

beelow - Many thanks for comments

MDN67
05-20-2005, 09:19 AM
many thank mate

zockke
05-20-2005, 06:44 PM
hey, many thanks to you too \o/ :beer: and good luck

Arc80
05-21-2005, 12:11 AM
Thanks for dropping by dude. CONGRATS on a very strong finish too. Nice choice of perspective. Goodluck and see you around.

cheers

MDN67
05-21-2005, 07:17 AM
zockke - Thank mate

Arc80 - Many thank for comments

MDN67
05-23-2005, 10:10 AM
many thanks mate

jugeras
05-23-2005, 12:23 PM
congrats on your piece n gud luck :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

MDN67
05-24-2005, 10:44 AM
thank mate

CGTalk Moderation
05-24-2005, 10:44 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.