PDA

View Full Version : Master and Servant 2D Entry: michael see zheng xun

Pages : [1] 2

ms@zx
03-22-2005, 01:24 AM
michael see zheng xun has entered the Master and Servant 2D.

Challenge Page (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/masterandservant/view_entries.php?challenger=5692)

Latest Update: Final Image: the marionette (final image)
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5692/5692_1116263831_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5692/5692_1116263831_large.jpg)

hi guys,its a relief to have completed this one,spend some time to do the touch ups and here it goes,the final image.:)

ms@zx
03-22-2005, 01:29 AM
my 1st entry ever for cg challenge.this is gonna be very fun and interesting~
all the best and good luck everyone.:)

ArtisticVisions
03-22-2005, 01:33 AM
Good luck, mate. :thumbsup:

ms@zx
03-22-2005, 08:58 AM
thanks mate..i'm on my way~!:)its gonna be a great challenge with all the great artists out there~

kalemna
03-22-2005, 09:59 AM
welcome and good luck :buttrock:

Xillion
03-22-2005, 11:13 AM
...and remember what Caesar said: veni, vidi, vici!!! (I came, I saw and I WON!)
Good luck mate! :)

MDN67
03-22-2005, 11:20 AM
welcome and good luck:thumbsup:

Enayla
03-22-2005, 11:57 AM
This will be awesome :love: really looking forward to yours!

nebezial
03-22-2005, 03:45 PM
i will not wish you luck instead i say bring it on, this is it , we are the few , the proud , the addicts to our pen tablets! and there shall come a day when all shall realise that they can take away our motherboard,... but well just get another one. ok , now that the morale speech is over PLAYBALL:scream: :scream: :scream: heh heh ah well , GOOD LUCK

ms@zx
03-22-2005, 03:46 PM
wow~~
kalemna and MDN67..thanks for the support.wish the same goes to u:)
xillion:thanks for the encouragement..i'll do my best:thumbsup:
enayla:thanks alot:)just stay around.u are my inspiration..
Stjepan:many thanks.lets roll!!

AlyFell
03-22-2005, 05:18 PM
Woohoo! Go Michael! :D

ralphmanning
03-22-2005, 07:47 PM
Might as well say it in here too; I wish you luck. :D

ms@zx
03-23-2005, 08:06 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5692/5692_1111568762_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5692/5692_1111568762_large.jpg)

the story

Without families, relatives, or friends, a lonely puppet-maker decides to make a marionatte to keep him company in his little old shop selling puppets. He worked on the marionette with a sincere heart and caring hands, and thus the marionette's conscious feelings slowly emerge in her. Her feelings grew for the maker. THe maker too sensed a warm feeling from the marionattes towards him eventhough her feelings doesn't show on her lifeless face.

Since the completion of the making of his marionette, he has been taking care of her. He reads her stories, combs her hair, dresses her, clean her, sets a vase of flowers beside her, and sometimes buys her jewelleries and accessories. He would do anything to make her happy and beautiful by that she would only have to stay by his side. And she didn't ask anything more from him. She is more than grateful that he can serve her for as long as he is happy to be together with her.

that is for now:)few more ideas on the sketches.post it up later after i get done

teknotek83
03-23-2005, 08:25 AM
Great concept! I was actually thinking about doing a marionette-themed piece, but I can't do that anymore, now can I?? Haha. Just kidding. Good luck on this one!

AlyFell
03-23-2005, 08:29 AM
I really like this idea Michael! And the way it's heading... :)

ms@zx
03-23-2005, 09:04 AM
Hey, guys! :)

Actually i have edited the story to be more oriented with the theme "Master And Servant". In the earlier version, the puppet-maker seems like a master and at the same time a servant. The marionaette seems to be just an object instead of a character.

This time i have change the character of the marionette, gave her a little bit of influence over that maker. This way, they become more inseparable from each other.

the only things i've modified is gave her a little bit of a character to better suit the theme.
i didnt really thought that both of u would actually likes the previous version.~

thanks alot for the support:)

mark-jenkins
03-23-2005, 09:15 AM
Hi There,
This is my first challenge too. I am not sure if I am up to it or not but I just thought what the hell. It will be a lot of fun and a good learning experience. I really like your idea, especially the fact that the roles have become reversed, i.e. the master becomes the servant and vise versa, I have an idea to explore a similar theme myself but so far it's just ideas in my head, no time to put pencil to paper.
Keep it up and good luck

mack72
03-23-2005, 09:33 AM
I really like the idea. But I want to see more!

ms@zx
03-23-2005, 10:15 AM
thanks mack and marco..just stay tune alright~i'll keep them coming~:)

ms@zx
03-23-2005, 10:58 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5692/5692_1111579109_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5692/5692_1111579109_large.jpg)

here's another concept piece with different approach.made them alil more grown up:)

dmonk
03-23-2005, 11:08 AM
Very nice concept and great sketch.

Enayla
03-23-2005, 11:31 AM
I love the almost coy look on her face. It would be wonderful if you could somehow keep that in the final image. Wonderful concept, too :]

coldfront
03-23-2005, 11:51 AM
looks great. the idea and concept is really cool.

PeterPuppet
03-23-2005, 12:04 PM
I totally agree. This one belongs to my "cant wait to see it finished but afraid that it makes me competition" -section.

hehe... I really enjoy the whole composition of the sketch. Just beautiful. "The creation of the servant". Funny: my image is gonna be kinda like that just the other way around: "The emergence of the master" :)

Keep it up!

zaaba
03-23-2005, 12:06 PM
very nice :thumbsup:

ms@zx
03-23-2005, 02:10 PM
thanks everyone for the warm comments.i see everyone is getting all heat up.cant wait to get more of my stuff done in here~~:)

I love the almost coy look on her face. It would be wonderful if you could somehow keep that in the final image. Wonderful concept, too :]

enayla:just curious,is it her coy looking face to keep for the final image or the whole piece?gosh..i'm so out of idea for the time being.lol:D

Tranchefeux
03-23-2005, 02:59 PM
Hi,
Very pretty starting, good luck for the continuation.

nebezial
03-23-2005, 04:04 PM
I just love the mildly sadistic snile on the puppets face. i see that you have the skill:thumbsup: keep those sketches comming .LETS BRING THE HEAT TO THIS CHALLENGE:scream: :scream: :scream:

Ilikesoup
03-23-2005, 04:12 PM
You're only on your second sketch and you've already found the heart of your topic, IMO. His position is practically kneeling, caressing her leg and not looking her in the eye -- it's very clear who wields the power in this relationsip. And since you draw women so well, this is an excellent choice.

The dress on the stand is brilliant -- will give insight into the puppetmaker's tastes. Conservative or racy. Perhaps it will be the manequin's tastes?

Rudeone
03-23-2005, 04:26 PM
looking promesing man! great idea, good luck!

beelow
03-23-2005, 04:33 PM
I like how the guy sitting down is positioned really good concept.

AlyFell
03-23-2005, 04:44 PM
I'm lovin' it! I look at wonderful ideas like this, and think, this is ONE day into the challenge! :eek:

ArtisticVisions
03-23-2005, 06:09 PM
Great sketchs; such a lovely-looking, cute "doll". :D
One thought; I like the view presented in the first sketch better (don't know why; just more appealing to me).

BluePulse
03-23-2005, 06:17 PM
Good work! I like your second sketch for compositional reasons. Both are outstanding starts. Good luck to you!

DyslexicDan
03-23-2005, 08:53 PM
Oh wow. I'm going to have to fallow this thread aswell.

theCloudmover
03-23-2005, 08:58 PM
Don't forget you have the opportunity to add a lot of character to the foreground and background of this piece. I couple of pictures, tools maybe a discarded puppet will really bring the "master" to life' Nice so far...

ralphmanning
03-24-2005, 12:00 AM
Quality sketches - This is really looking great so far Michael. Damn, Ive gotta get a move on. Anyway, good job, keep it up mate.

ms@zx
03-24-2005, 08:55 AM
many thanks everyone for the comments :) i'm really happy that u guys gave positive response to this thread

ilikesoup - hey, i'm glad you studied the the poses. :) Although she seemed to be dominant over him, there's actually a deeper meaning to it. As you may have read in the story, the marionette is a lifeless doll but contains feelings in her, especially towards the maker. So by having him looking away, she looks like she is "secretly" admiring him, just like a girl secretly watching her neighbor boy thru the bedroom window :)

cloudmover - thanks for pointing that out.yeah,i'll try to add some in since he's a puppet maker.
bluepulse - i already came out with another sketch with a modified angle.i'm glad u like the 2nd sketch,i might come back to this if the 3rd sketch doesnt work.

poshspice - yeah,i'm really really working on this piece.stay tuned for more:D

activision - i think i know what u mean,maybe the feelings they are conveying are much more appealing than the 2nd sketch.however,for personal preferrence,i'd like to work on the current one.thanks again for the comments:)

see u guys later~

calisto-lynn
03-24-2005, 11:07 AM
hey! welcome to the chalenge! i think your sketch is great!
good luck to y all!!!:) smile! smile!

ms@zx
03-24-2005, 11:35 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5692/5692_1111667699_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5692/5692_1111667699_large.jpg)

hi guys..this is my 3rd sketch.i landscaped the composition with slightly modified camera angle.everything is still the same except some additional details surrounding the background:)

peterhorvath
03-24-2005, 12:10 PM
Hi!

You have an excellent drawing style!

Maybe there are a bit more parts on the picture then enough. Try to concentrate the eye-movement to the topic/center of pic.

Golem

nebezial
03-24-2005, 12:15 PM
Second one looks a bit deeper but then again as we all know light and colour are the determing factors an this one .. as much asd i can conclude has some serious potential in that area. So as a conclusion, properly lighted this one beats the second work by a longshot so it is my humble opinion that you should follow this last sketch and if u ever did some 3d work youll know what i mean when i say radiosity.it somehow seems thto be the keyword for this scene cause eventhough it is lit from a single light source as far as i can see it still radiates warmth. all in all this work will definitely kick some serious booties!!!:thumbsup:

element5
03-24-2005, 12:29 PM
Omg, cool ...love the sketching ...love the angle\perspective ...love the idea :applause:

Tariq12
03-24-2005, 12:34 PM
Beautiful work Michael. Can't wait to see this in colour.
T.
My Master & Servant :
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=222506

ms@zx
03-24-2005, 03:53 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5692/5692_1111683180_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5692/5692_1111683180_large.jpg)

hi guys~
i just got home and i thought of another angle with different background.this would be the 4th sketch,well its kinda rough since i didnt have a scanner at home,and so i made this quick sketch directly using photoshop with my tablet:)

Wussie
03-24-2005, 03:55 PM
nice idea, but on first sight i thought the marionette was just some lady, and the guy was washing/massaging her feet :D but after a better look i saw what you ment :)
great sketches btw!

Fahrija
03-24-2005, 04:07 PM
Hi michael,

Very clear & beautiful sketching style and very good angle but I like the environment concept of the previous image. The design is much more quieter and does not abstrakt from the main characters to much.

great stuff!

regards
fahrija

ArtisticVisions
03-24-2005, 04:14 PM
I like the perspective to the new sketch (gives a sense of leisure to the doll). :)

On the other hand, I prefer the enviroment to the previous sketch; I agree with Fahrija, the new background seems to "take away" the viewer's focus from the characters.

ms@zx
03-24-2005, 04:50 PM
hey guys..thanks alot for the comments here.:). i'll stick to the perspective on the latest sketch and at the same time re work on the background.i'll see how it goes from here.somehow i could remain and take away a certain element of the latest bg and add in some from the 3rd sketch.

thanks again :)

Ilikesoup
03-24-2005, 05:55 PM
I see what you mean now about the feelings being mutual between the manequin and maker. As far as composition, I still like sketch #2 best. It looks like he's got that room set up for the sole purpose of working on her and I love that her dress is standing up behind them. #3 looks a bit too open and I don't get the same intimate feel. #4 looks like he's hiding out in the garage (from his wife who just doesn't understand). The small table with the flowers is a nice touch in #4, though.

MoonVisionStudio
03-24-2005, 06:59 PM
I like all your sketches so far, each for different reasons. Cant wait to see some color! ; )

monsitj
03-24-2005, 07:11 PM
I like the first and fourth sketch ! some suggestion is , I think your image content is suitable to vertical format , because in the fourth sketch , it's seem to have more space both side!just my 2 cent , and I' follow this thread for sure! good luck man!

Raenz
03-24-2005, 08:03 PM
I like the fourth one.
Really good sketch work.

Gamoron
03-24-2005, 08:51 PM
The 3rd sketch was nice. If you don't like it, why don't you try cropping it to see how it would look in other dimensions. Reminded me of Ghost in the Shell when I first looked at your most recent work.

:beer: nice lines!

andreasrocha
03-24-2005, 09:23 PM
Hey Michael...your sketches are great. I didn't know you could sketch so well. They show good control...I think it's a nice piece as it is, however I think you have more of a father/child relationship here and not a master/servant one. A servant is supposed to serve I think...which could also be the case here, however, I think you should make that more apparent.

Great start, keep it up!

arLutiK
03-25-2005, 12:57 AM
Great sketches, I see I'm not alone going with the marionette idea.

Keep up the good work. I'm gona keep an eye on your work it's really nice.

ozhaver
03-25-2005, 01:19 AM
I love the look in her face! It's like she's bursting to move! must be a dreadful sensation.

ms@zx
03-25-2005, 09:57 AM
hey, guys
thanks for all your inputs on all the sketches. i have made up my mind and decided to go for the 4th sketch. In truth, i still have doubt on whether i shud go for a vertical or horizontal format. So i'll try to experiment on the both formats for sketch 4 and see which one'll work out better.

In response to andreasrocha, i'll make some modifications to both of their poses in hope to show more of their m&s status. I'll tilt her head and recline her chair more to show her better confidence towards the maker. I'll also improve the maker's sitting position into a more humble crouching pose to show his gentleness to the marionette.

oz haver - well, she could have move if the story was developed further :)

Thanks for all of your continuous support. Updates will be up soon.

dinodog-jr
03-26-2005, 02:37 AM
woohoo~!
I especially like the perspective view on ur Sketch no. 3..

looks like a bug on the ground is inspecting the process to built the puppet.

First thought i viewed on the 1st page remind me of Pinochio ..hehe
Sweet idea ...

I know ur coloring skill is gonna make it ultra-xtraordinary@!! ...

Dun forget to sleep well ..Msia very hot weather man!!

Sylanya
03-26-2005, 03:11 AM
Wow, I like concept you have presented here. The drawings are great too. Wonderful style and great idea. I like the face of the marionette, both showing emotion and none at all. Very cool, can't wait to see more updates!

tzktime
03-26-2005, 05:33 PM
Hey Michael, good idea here, the 4th sketch is the best. The camera angle is perfect. My crit would be the emotions conveyed here. The marionette doesnt seem to look at her creator, and it doesnt reallly shows much emotion imho. Hopefully you can improve on that, can't wait to see the finished work. :wip: Malaysia Boleh! :applause:

LadyMedusa
03-26-2005, 05:44 PM
Looks good so far.
I love the story aswell :)

paulwdavidson
03-27-2005, 09:03 AM
Nice concept and developing sketches. It's going to be really nice.

Have you tried your concept in a portrait format. As it is at the moment (landscape) my eye drifts around too much ( I know it's early in the development) but it might be worth a try, to see how the composition works for you. It might present some interesting results.

Keep pushing on

Paul

ElFuego
03-27-2005, 10:15 AM
Yeah I think also that the latest one will work somewhat better with portrait than landscape. Earlier ones were definetly landscape (And I kinda liked the second last the most) But anyways, great job and pinochinette looks sexy ;)

rawgon
03-27-2005, 11:21 AM
i really like your concept! the man seems pledged to fix the girl... you got great drawing ability. Best luck:thumbsup:

Tariq12
03-27-2005, 11:28 AM
Hey Michael, just subscribed to your thread dude. Your concept's lookin' COOL!

More !
T.
My Master & servant : http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=222506
My Web Site : www.tariqart.com
The Hunt : http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=223753
The Kid : http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=223787
Battle Angel : http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=203795&page=1&pp=15&highlight=battle+angel

:thumbsup:

artjunkie
03-27-2005, 10:24 PM
love your concept and your sketches really capture the emotional essence of the piece... hmmm... essence...

looking forward to seeing more!

ralphmanning
03-27-2005, 11:01 PM
Hello Michael. I really like your latest sketch; it is most definitely the best view/angle on the scene so far. I like the position of the window (primary lights source), as I prefer the idea of the dusty, old attic/workshop being darker and less exposed toward the back of the room. I feel it will draw attention to what is going on in the mid/foreground (where the characters are) and help the atmosphere a great deal. From your line work, I can strongly envisage what it will look like completed. Im looking forward to seeing some colour WIPs from you. Keep it up buddy. :D

taz23
03-28-2005, 10:37 AM
Nice sketch lines, great idea, super camera angles. I can feel this is going to be a great one. Keep it up :bounce:

fooxoo
03-28-2005, 11:11 AM
Looks intriguing, lets see where you take it ;)

OKMER
03-28-2005, 11:40 AM
I prefered the angle of the 3rd one and this other puppets in there too.But I think that indeed the last one is more dynamic.
Anyway really great idea and sketches,keep m coming,great!!!

sloth79
03-28-2005, 11:42 AM
wow, great idea and loves the lineworks.

shyamshriram
03-28-2005, 12:54 PM
Hey Great going Michael :) best of luck to u :thumbsup:

ms@zx
03-28-2005, 01:16 PM
dinodog_Jr - thnks for your comment . the weather these few days are getting cooler now compared to a few days b4.So now i can work on this piece in a better condition.

tzktime - hmm...mebbe the sketch is too rough for the marionette to convey her expression? dun worry, it's still in the early stages. There's are more studies on this piece to do to make it more beautiful. I wont let my forum frens disappointed especially when one comes from the same country as i do. hahahttp://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/scream.gif

Paul Davidson, ElFuego - yeah,i have now tried the portrait format, and a landscape format at a same time. THinking of comparing them to see which one looks better. i still have a hard time deciding on either of them.made them with rough colors and i'll be posting it up later:)
Xeophex - Hey! that's exactly the scenario i had in mind in the first place. haha. been working on that kind of scene for long already. looks like its coming out well. stay tuned

Sylanya, Lady Medusa, renderwhite, tariq12, artjunkie, taz23, fooxoo, okmer,shyamshriram - thanks. good comments from guys like you make me feel more fired up to finish this as best as i can.

this post is overwhelming me!!! Thank you guys very much, i really appreciate it. Words cant describe how happy i am. I think my tears are rolling. haha. kidding. http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/love.gif
i'll be posting again soon:)

ms@zx
03-28-2005, 01:29 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5692/5692_1112020169_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5692/5692_1112020169_large.jpg)

here i can only post a piece,i'll post another one later which is the horizontal piece.
i appologize for the delayed updates,been out of hand this weekend as my parents came over visiting me all the way from my hometown and so i spend some time with them:)

MDN67
03-28-2005, 02:05 PM
Very good concept, if I understood well, it are the carpenter and his work, it is very check, me waits to see the suite

lhz
03-28-2005, 07:33 PM
Now that you colored it, ill go with the portrait.

Thats a nice "Pinocchio Fairy" night mood. And also I think that being night time and the carpenter sacrifiicing his dinner, or sleep just to make the better out of his piece got me wondering whos the master and whos the servant.

Its getting great - keep the good work!

Aloha

Agent-Orange
03-28-2005, 10:20 PM
Excellent concept!!!

So far so good

ChristianHammer
03-28-2005, 10:22 PM
Gepeto and Pinochio in a modern reinterpretation. I like it.

hermine
03-29-2005, 01:52 AM
In your last sketch i can see a nice mood/atmosphere coming up, keep it up. :wise:

ms@zx
03-29-2005, 05:54 AM
hey guys,thanks alot for the feedbacks as well as the comments,i'll try to play around with the mood,probably i'll use this color palette as a guidelines.:)

CoreyArtE
03-29-2005, 05:55 AM
darn you....O_O!!!

ms@zx
03-29-2005, 07:31 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5692/5692_1112085061_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5692/5692_1112085061_large.jpg)

hey guys,like i mentioned before,i've made both the formats.so here it goes,the landscape version with rough colors.i'll probably go on with another try on the portrait format and fit in the background as best as i can:)thanks again for the comments guys.

Enayla
03-29-2005, 09:19 AM
I am thrilled to see that she's still got the expression that I fell so in love with. Indulgent, almost - or ... indolent... I don't know, it's very intriguing. I keep wanting to see her move her head so I can understand her better (this is a great thing, by the by).

I'd love to see a little bit more colour variation, though. If it's all blue shaded, it's difficult to tell that her skin isn't 'real' skin, if you know what I mean. Just working some more variation into it would do the trick, I think :] How about adding some orange into the shadows to contrast the blue light, while you're at it? :bounce:

ms@zx
03-29-2005, 09:42 AM
hie enayla,thanks alot for the comments,i have thought of the color variations uve mentioned and i got that from another friend of mine as well..those are the colors that i had in mind:)i'm still thinking on the skin material for the marionette,what do u suggest?lacqured surface or maybe ...hmmhttp://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/shrug.gif

thanks again.

tuck
03-29-2005, 11:33 AM
good idea and interesting.

Enayla
03-29-2005, 12:00 PM
Hm, lacquered might be nice, like a luxurious sort of toy almost. Heheh, I had a sudden vision of her having a couple of stickers on her.

Cerebr4l
03-29-2005, 12:10 PM
I love the mood of this piece! Keep it up :buttrock:

NinjaA55N
03-29-2005, 06:50 PM
Awesome thread! Im signing in. Great atmosphere and very peacfull ambient. I dig it.

ms@zx
03-30-2005, 12:57 AM
hey guys,thanks again for the respond:)
tuck - thanks for the compliment~

enayla - yeah,i think lacqured surface will do just fine.about the stickers?http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/scream.gifi could try that out too,but personally,i'd prefer her to be cleaner:)haha

Cerebr4l - thanks for the comments,i appreciate it:)

ninjaAssn - thanks alot for digging it.i'd probably go ahead with the current mood with more color variations to it like linda had mentioned.thanks again for signing up the thread.
ur sea rising piece is definitely my all time favourite~http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/buttrock.gif

lotaH
03-30-2005, 01:05 AM
I like your style a lot. The technique, I think, close of the best European designers...

Congratulations!!

SideAche
03-30-2005, 01:12 AM
Great stuff Michael. I really like the landscape format. I agree that you could saturate the main figures with more color. This is looking great. Keep it up.

JTD
03-30-2005, 04:51 AM
Personally, I liked concept sketch #3 better because the angle made me feel like I was an unobserved observer instead of like I was standing in the scene with the other characters. Just my personal preference. :)

ms@zx
03-30-2005, 12:47 PM
thanks alot guys for the comments,JTD,thanks for ur preference on the 3rd sketch,i think i'll stick to the 4th sketch for now:)i'm alil out of hand for the time being,i'll post the update later.again,thanks for the feedbacks guys,really appreciate ithttp://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/scream.gif

calisto-lynn
03-31-2005, 01:07 PM
bring it on michael!:thumbsup: i sense it ll be great.i like your idea becouse s a bit different from the others. keep it up!:applause:

CoreyArtE
03-31-2005, 07:05 PM
I like the blue color scheme, and the expression on the masters face...You get the 3 thumbs seal of approval. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

THE Wizard
03-31-2005, 10:02 PM
Ok I see you've got lot of posts so I'll say this... From the moment I first saw your scratch I liked an Idea.... VERY MUCH... And now whit this painting it's just gonna be great... I must say this also, from the beggining this picture was one of my favorites, and please dont screw it up at the end... Good luck, I'm cheering for you!

My MaSteR&ServAnT 2D (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=225858)

Rudeone
04-01-2005, 12:05 AM
Coming along just great michael:thumbsup: , I really like how she looks not alive like a puppet yet so much character, her expression looks great. I do like the overall blue colours, it adds to the atmosphere of a dark dusty room, although some contrasting colours in it would bring it more to live like previous posters mentioned allready.
*sigh* don't have anything usefull to add, but I'll be back!, keep it up man!

ms@zx
04-01-2005, 04:34 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5692/5692_1112376873_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5692/5692_1112376873_large.jpg)

hi guys,its been awhile since i last updated,i tried out another composition base on the previous sketch,here it goes:)

thanks alot for the support guys,i'll do very my best!

Squibbit
04-01-2005, 04:39 PM
the perspective n stuff... excellent...waiting for some colors!

PeterPuppet
04-01-2005, 04:46 PM
Very nice!:thumbsup: Only crit is the cappy hes wearing. Looks kinda off to me and Id just love to see his face and the total enthusiasm and love in it, which he feels towards his puppet. Just an idea... Oh buddy, this is gonna be great!

the perspective n stuff... excellent...waiting for some colors! Same here!!!

peace, pete

uwil
04-01-2005, 05:10 PM
simple but very striking idea. i like the scene. good luck Michael.

sidchagan
04-01-2005, 06:05 PM
Line art's looking great. I thought it was more interesting when the man was leaning his left, like in the earlier composition, but its really not that different. Cant wait to see some color.

Zephyri
04-01-2005, 06:23 PM
Hi Michael, lovely to see your thoughts and changes as you've progressed with this imge. IThis latest version is feeling very polished, there's a nice convergence of lines from the background that keeps the eye moving round the image, but keeps bringing you back to those two central figures. I'm utterly envious of your skills with perspective, everything seems spot on. Nice weight to everything, and spot on anatomically. The scene is very cosy, it draws you in, with all those nice ordinary life touches like the glass on the table. I'm curious to know how you'll be lighting it, whether it will be clear, or warm and fuzzy. Can't wait to see some colour!

UK3D
04-01-2005, 10:05 PM
Hi Michael,
Boy these sketches are good. The style shows great talent so I wait with baited breath to see it into 3D. Hell the competition is stiff here... :applause:

schaal
04-01-2005, 10:20 PM
good luck Michael, nice composition and color mood

tilite
04-02-2005, 05:11 AM
its a very interesting concept... i cant wait to get that feel that i get from ur work in this piece. best of luck

ms@zx
04-02-2005, 11:28 AM
squibbit - thanks for the encouragement mate~colors will be up soon:)

The Peteboy - hey pete,yes,i'll get some reference on the hat/cap,actually i had the intention not to show his face looking at her in the eyes as to symbolised him as a servant,however,part of the face will be seen.thanks again for the comments:)

uwil,sidchagan - hey guys,thanks alot of the remarks,'ll get some colors done asap~

Zepyhri - wow,many thanks mate for the comments and compliments:)the mood setting and the colors will be quite similar to the previous rough sketches,however i'll try to enhance it with some variation of warmer colors into it to make a warmer yet cosy feeling.lights will be casting through the window on the left and there'll be light fog with alil bit of dust in it.thanks again mate:buttrock:

tilite,schaal,UK3D - thanks alot for the replies,lol,i'd be participating the 3d challenge as well if i'm not that occupied with my other stuff's:)

stay tuned guys

ms@zx
04-03-2005, 10:45 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5692/5692_1112525139_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5692/5692_1112525139_large.jpg)

hey guys,i made alil update today,my 1st attemp on the color wip.way to go still:)
thanks for the support guys.

shyamshriram
04-03-2005, 10:49 AM
LOOKING WONDERFUL !! keep it up mate :thumbsup:

PeterPuppet
04-03-2005, 11:49 AM
This is coming out very nicely:thumbsup: .

If you allow a little crit, its still too blue imo. The lamp gives a wonderful atmosphere to it, but only in a very small radius. What I would do is keep the lamp and the light falling through the window (which I would make smaller, like they were in the cellar of this guy, or the light casting through it a little bit darker to show that hes working on his "dearest" day AND night) as the only lightsources to concentrate the eye of the viewer on the puppet and the master. That would effect some hardedged black shadow on the puppets right side, right leg, couch (viewers left) and the furniture in the foreground and the masters shadow would cast through the center of the picture. That would be awesome... Just a suggestion.

I love it anyway... :) Waiting for more!!! Keep it up!

peace, pete

am7
04-03-2005, 01:11 PM
AWESOME stuff! :thumbsup:

element5
04-03-2005, 01:45 PM
Looking good mate, perspective is great. Looks a little dark but I know its your first colour wip so dont listen to me...:)

A few tools and a toolbox laying around on the floor might be good... and would be nice to see the masters face and his expression...just some thoughts. great image:thumbsup:

Goro
04-03-2005, 02:28 PM
Hey great concept! Checked your thread for the first time! Looking good and good luck!
The bouncelight is maybe still to bright. A hard rimlight on both marionette and the guy from the lamp in the back would be great I think.
Overall nice mood buddy!

cheers!
Goro

BloodTaster
04-03-2005, 07:26 PM
How I miss that?? :eek: Man, great art... the colors are wonderful too..(i bit darker, but I liked)
Just keep it, my eyes are on your thread. Good luck!

eclipson
04-03-2005, 07:35 PM
this is realy lovely mood, it shows some strong bond between the doll and tha guy,hmmm.....but i think u should show that guys face, and maybe closer look to focus on the two of them.....just a suggestions....but the mood is really fine, this final is gonna b a great piece:scream:

goodlux!:thumbsup:

TheFirstAngel
04-03-2005, 08:07 PM
Just came to subscribe and wish you best luck and loadsa fun. I really love your style, the mood is fantrastic and i love the lovely way you created your doll. (or him) do you life under the roof?
fantastic work, keep it up Michael!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

sgw
04-04-2005, 01:00 AM
I like the concept of this peice alot! Reminds me of a an episode of 3x3 eyes.... oh and one of the love hina episodes as well. Anyway, great work on the doll, keep it up!

ChristianHammer
04-04-2005, 01:02 AM
The marrionette is looking very nice indeed! Keep it up.

pushav
04-04-2005, 01:19 AM
Your work is shaping up quite nicely.

Tremoside
04-04-2005, 09:47 AM
Beutiful mood and sensitive atmosphere.. there are lots of gentleness. One of the bests! Expression is simply amazing! :bowdown: Now I "save as "....

nebezial
04-04-2005, 10:31 AM
will there be another source of light, like the camera is located somewhere by a fireplace, or something, it is a bit too dark and nobody likes to work in the dark, anyways it still looks fantastic:thumbsup:

Enayla
04-04-2005, 10:35 AM
Hm, I love the colours, but I don't like that I can't see her pretty face anymore. Her expression vanished into thin air :[

Aside from that, I'm loving where you're going with this. Can't wait for the next update!

MDN67
04-04-2005, 10:37 AM
very nice pic, very emotional. The light study is very good, i wait the suite, good work:thumbsup:

ms@zx
04-04-2005, 12:05 PM
whoa~~i'm really overwhelmed by the replies in such a short time,thank u very much!
yes,i'll definitely rework on the lighting as well as the mood,seems alil too dark for now.

goro,bloodtester,the peteboy,thanks alot for the suggestion on the light,i'll do deep study into it.as to respond to Eclipson,i had the intention not showing the face,however,i'll try to tilt his head up bit to show alil expression from him.Nebezial,u were right,i'm gonna brighthen up the overall mood.i even had a thought of making another version with a setting of day time.Enayla~lol,i'll definitely show her expresion that u loved so much:)thanks again for the comments.!i'm so inspired by all the entries here~
i'm just gonna say this again..thank u all!http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/love.gif

MoonVisionStudio
04-04-2005, 12:43 PM
I have not been here in a while, great progress! I love the sketch board in the background.

ArtisticVisions
04-04-2005, 01:06 PM
To be honest, while I like the color scheme you're going for, I don't care for lighting at all; it really takes away from the expressiveness of the doll.

Maybe if the lightsource was a lamp or candle sitting on the table closest to the camera, that might improve the scene? (if the scene is going to be set at night; if it's going to be a day-scene, just ignore this advice) :)

artjunkie
04-04-2005, 01:18 PM
Love the theme and the moody lighting you've incorporated into the piece... would be nice to see more of their faces (perhaps you'll flesh that out more in the updates). Over a wonderful bit of art!

Oh, and puppets scare the hell outta me.

Cheers!

Velinov
04-04-2005, 01:19 PM
Wow!!! The colors looks great at this stage of development. Congratulations on the
composition you have choosed . Good luck with your next step and be shore that
I'll follow your to the next stage... :thumbsup:

http://farfolina.pochta.ru/death.jpg (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=221933)

calisto-lynn
04-04-2005, 01:26 PM
it s great! the night really makes the atmosphere, but dude does the guy, really see what he's doing?:thumbsup: i agree with nebezial, maybe u should put another source of light. anyway it looks great still..:)

Arc80
04-04-2005, 01:38 PM
What's up dude,

I like your concept and you have some good light source that you can mess around with.
Keep it up.

Goodluck,
Archie
My master & servant entry (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=224331)

Xillion
04-04-2005, 02:38 PM
Hi mate...it's been long since I posted anything...but I should say I realized you really do not need my advice!!! It's looking great so far and the concept is amazing.I'm just curious to see the evolution of that.and, oh. I love your style!

AlyFell
04-04-2005, 02:50 PM
The atmosphere in this is looking great! Lovely mood... makes me think of the story of 'Coppelia', or 'Pinnochio'. Gorgeous!

ElFuego
04-04-2005, 03:00 PM
you have been busy :) I like the dark, ominious coloring and the marionette is looking sexy :)

Best of luck.

kornel
04-05-2005, 10:10 AM
I love your pic! But the face of "master" is very important in these composition, why not visible?

(sorry for my english...)

i m waiting for the next post...

cheers: Kornl

ms@zx
04-06-2005, 02:03 AM
jose pardo - thank u for following the thread again~i think the sketch bored seems kinda empty still..will try to add something on~:)

ArtisticVisions - hey there, u are right about the lighting,having the light from behind seems to take away the one of the most important element of this painting~sigh.thanks for the idea about the candle light,i could make a good use of it:).i havent much time for the updates,i'll try to lay my hand on it tonite,ill probably try out day scene.

calisto - yeah,i'd probably show the servants face but i might not be showing all and emphasize more on what he's doing~thanks again:)

posh - hmm,marionette as a subject often reminds us about the classical pinnochio~hehe.anyway,i hope what i did here makes a different out of it.
thanks for the compliment:)

kornel - i think u must have confused about who the master and who the servant is.:scream:very much appreciated ur comments:)

artjunkie,velinov,xillion,elfuego - :scream:hehe,thanks alot for the comments.just stay tuned.

GhostInTheMachine
04-06-2005, 03:12 AM
its looking really good and I like the lighting alot. your initial drawings were impressive

ralphmanning
04-06-2005, 01:13 PM
This is coming together very nicely Michael, I love your colour palette. I also like the two light sources, the cool/cold, natural, white light from the moon outside and the warmer, artificial, yellow light from the lamp. Great work, keep it up!

camtheman
04-06-2005, 05:16 PM
welcome to the challenge, and good luck! This one's heating up fast...

M/S thread:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=227140

ms@zx
04-06-2005, 06:00 PM
GhostInTheMachine - thanks alot man,i appreciate it.:)
xeophex - hey mate,thanks for dropping in,had a hard time dealig with the light and mood..http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/scream.gif
Cameron Gardner - thanks and good luck to u too!

i'll be posting an update soon.thanks for the continuous support

ms@zx
04-06-2005, 06:14 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5692/5692_1112811283_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5692/5692_1112811283_large.jpg)

here,another piece of update i did alil while ago,been kinda bz recently with my other stuff.before this,i've tried making a rough color sketch for day setting but it turn out 'yucks' lol.so here it goes,decided to go for the night setting~i have tweeked alil here and there on the composition,had the lamp reposition nearer to the camera as to light up both the characters.there'll be more to add in soon:)thanks again for all the comments

calisto-lynn
04-06-2005, 06:31 PM
great, u changed the place for primar light source. i is much better now. it is on oposite side of the secundary one, and oposes the bluish colour. very good!:applause:

dinodog-jr
04-07-2005, 02:10 AM
Oh my papa...... R u goin to be the Malaysian First winner in CGTALK??!!

err...The Cyborg Left arm seems place a bit higher from the chair arm. Ok..i know u gonna put a Cushion to let her arm rest comfortably.

U r encouraging me here, man!
All comments leave to the others while i am still enjoying this piece of mesmerizing art.

I am painting it by my own inside my mind now.. hehe ..

p/s: Everyday seems Raining day here man...Where u working at?

Slav
04-07-2005, 03:59 AM
mate... you hit the table dead on... but if i could suggest something it would be to make the doll a bit less shiny... wood or soemthing of the sort... but i guess its a personal thing... i just think it would add alot more warmth to the image.

tilite
04-07-2005, 05:58 AM
:thumbsup: the lighting is much better now
and the texturing is great.
good work:thumbsup:

am7
04-07-2005, 08:31 AM
I second that bringing in some warmer hue's helped in you'r color composition. However.. instead of framing the focus to the important parts (master'n'servant) that lamp draws to much attention I think? I would try to place it somewhere else, perhaps hanging from the roof in the back (behind the master somewhere). So you would get nice warmer hue's reflection the shape on one side of you'r master and servant. And on the other side you would balance it with more cold blue hue's (light from the window).

Also, I don't know if it's worth it. But if you would consider reworking the concept some, you could make sure that the servant (puppetgirl) get's hit by mostly thoose cold blue hue's. And your master by you'r red warm hue's from a lamp. So the colors would symbolize the fact that your master (warm and dynamic pose) is giving life to his servant (cold and static pose) :wise:, just an idea though. Hehe...

Hope this helps! and keep up! I'm following this ;)

nebezial
04-07-2005, 09:00 AM
ALLRIGHT now u can see some serious details, and her expression is back, this is a much better solution:thumbsup:

kornel
04-07-2005, 12:22 PM
hi Michael,
Sorry, I misunderstood who is master and who is servant. I still think that there's two ways of looking at this though.
I really like the table in the foreground with it's colors. It really helps the composition and I think the unfocused parts work well already! It's good to see how this piece evolves!

best regards: Kornel

ArtisticVisions
04-07-2005, 01:47 PM
Much better, Michael; keep it up, mate. :thumbsup:

ms@zx
04-07-2005, 06:00 PM
calisto,artisticvision - thanks alot,i'm glad u like it:)

dinodog_Jr - hey,lol:scream:thanks for the comment,i'm totally flattered,just 'dreaming' to be winner~haha.yeah i noticed the arm,will probably adjust alil bit on the chair.it rains sometimes over here,i'm working in EL,i recalled i told u about it before:D

Slav - thanks slav,hmm,yeah i actuallyhad the intention to make her in shiny surface,anyway,thanks for the suggestion,i could try it out either:)

tilite - thanks alot mate,appreciate it

am7 - hey there,thanks for the constructive feedbacks though,hmm~i'll see what i can do about what u have fed,ipersonally i kinda like the way it looks for now,somehow,i could add another light futher back on the bg to create a warmer hues.btw,i think u mixed up the role of the master and the servant ,the marionetter is the master:)

nebezial - hey neb,thanks alot.i'm very much inspired by u:)

komel - hey there,not a prob,seems like this concept has an alternate results,:Dthanks for the positive comments

ms@zx
04-07-2005, 06:02 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5692/5692_1112896929_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5692/5692_1112896929_large.jpg)

hie guys~just alil update:)i'll get more done as soon as possible

spacesnail
04-07-2005, 07:40 PM
Very nice concept.:thumbsup:

Just one thing about "Gepetto". He seems to me too much young or looks like a cable guy instead of a master. Anyhow, you haven't started the painting of the part, so I may be mistaking.

Keep going on

Snail

ms@zx
04-08-2005, 02:14 AM
spacesnail - thanks for the comment,my concept for the master and servant here is reversed.if u have read the story then u'll know who the master is:)

CoreyArtE
04-08-2005, 04:54 AM
Very nice job so far mate! My only crit is, on the machine woman's torso she has a light blue reflective light and I dont think they should be there because theres nothing from that angle of the torso or behind it that should give off that sorta of reflective light since her body is infront of a chair blocking certain light on certain areas on her. Perhaps make it darker because where it is light at currently it should be darker for that spot. I dont know if you used any reference material or anything but if not maybe you should. Metal can be hard to emulate but so far your doing a pretty good job! Keep up the good work!

wonlife
04-08-2005, 05:23 AM
Nice work ! Good luck :bounce:

jake rupert
04-08-2005, 05:46 AM
Nice idea, like the concept.
But who`s the master, who the servant.

ms@zx
04-08-2005, 06:13 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5692/5692_1112940786_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5692/5692_1112940786_large.jpg)

CoreyArtE - thanks alot for the suggestion,yeah u were right about the blue highlight.i tried out the way u commented,tone down alil bit.:)

wonlife - thanks mate.same goes to u here

jake rupert - hi,i reversed the role where the puppet is the master of the maker,u may refer to the story on the 1st page.thanks for dropping in:)

Arc80
04-08-2005, 06:48 AM
cool... i can definately feel that metalic texture of her and i like her expression. Can't wait to see more updates.
BTW, nice touch on the lamp on the table. I like those little practical detailing. It adds up on the storytelling.

cheers,
Archie

calisto-lynn
04-08-2005, 09:09 AM
she has such a beautifull, and gentle expression, i like the metal also.

teknotek83
04-08-2005, 09:46 AM
that's some beautiful rendering..*whistle*. keep it up! http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

Zephyri
04-08-2005, 12:38 PM
Hi Michael, this is looking good so far! I really like the over all composition of the piece, and the lighting you're aiming at caught me by surprise, I was expecting a dusty attic look with sunlight coming through those windows! Though I think for some reason this way it definitely makes it more obvious the puppet is the master, forcing the puppet maker to work into the night keeping her perfect. Is she made of wood or metal? With the blue highlighting, it's kind of difficult to tell. Other than that, cracking stuff, keep it up!

spacesnail
04-08-2005, 01:11 PM
Yeah Michael, I dunno how I missed your story lines.
One word about the puppet's eyes : will they be shut, wide open, painted... ?

Imriela
04-08-2005, 05:10 PM
Whoo-hoo! Lookin' COY! The lighting--and her texture--are fantabulous

And this is a silly thing to get excited about, but it makes my day that you didn't make her ridiculously busty!

ms@zx
04-08-2005, 06:19 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5692/5692_1112984350_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5692/5692_1112984350_large.jpg)

whoa~!~!thanks alot Arc80,Calisto,teknotek83,Zepyhri,Spacesnail and imriela for all the comments,really appreciate it:)here i spend a few hours playing around with some rough colors,re adjusted abit of the placement for some of the background elements....
spacesnail - i havent decide wether to have her eyes painted or wide open but definitely will not be shut:)i'll try it out though.
i'm going to bed soon.its kinda late now and gotta wake up early next morning~

da_hoodlum
04-08-2005, 06:57 PM
Awesome work! Few thoughts...

1) Notice how a few people are confused as to what the puppet is made out of? Some people call her robot/machine/etc too. I would spend a little time and rethink what you want her to be made out of.

- Wood? If you go with a wood material I would suggest you go with a dulier unfinished look. Since the "Master" is working on his puppet still (and being a hack of a wood worker myself) she probably wouldn't be laquered yet. You stain/laquer when you are all done (usually). Unless she is broken and he is repairing her? However from the feel I get from the scene it looks as though he's been working on her forever - something he's obsessed with that he will never finish because he wants her to be perfect (something he won't achieve). This leads alot into why there is a dress for her in the background - he works on different parts and shes been practically done for years but he won't put her all together because she's not quite perfect yet. If this is the feel you are going with I would suggest an unfinished wood. The dulier unfinished wood would keep the "soft" feel of the scene and make her "wood" skin fell more "life-like" since skin isn't shiny either.

- Metal-ish? If you are going with a metalish look I would embelish it a little so noone is confused that it might be wood. Creating some metal working tools around the workshop might be nice too. (However I really really hope you are going with the wood look from above).

2) I agree that the light/latern in the forground is too distracting. I find that I look at the puppet/master then quickly my eyes fixate and stop at the light. You could try a couple tricks to modify that:

- Someone mentioned that the primary light source might come from a fire (behind camera). That might be interesting... make the floor right at the bottom of the image glow brightly so the viewer understands the source light. Since she is the closest object to the fire (besides maybe some forground elements like the table) she would "glow" the most and our eyes would be rest on her.

- You could try to beef up the glow from the window. Make the moonlight flow in brighter. This might help draw the attention away from the lantern and back to the characters. I think this would be nice.. because the eye would still be drawn toward the latern but then it would be drawn back to the composition.

- Simular to beefing up the glow from the window, you could put another latern on the wall behind her to the left of the window. This might also draw attention back.

Note about Master/Servant - I think you are over simplifying who the master is. Is he really the master? To me it seems like he is the servant, you are hiding his face, he isn't looking at her while working on her, he is in a much more submissive pose/etc. Like I mentioned above, I think he is "obsessed" with her and will never complete her - he is entirely devoted to making her "perfect". She is a quiet master and he is a slave to his own obsession over her. Just because he is the servant doesn't mean that it isn't a relationship based on "love" - and that she isn't in love with him. I sorta like how it can go either way though sorta like they are both the servant/master (which is true of a complex character). Those in more "master" roles tend to be more "servants" to their insecurities or elsewhere in thier lives. Similar to Jesus who was the "master" of his disciples yet he washed their feet multiple times in "servantude" of them. Keep playing with your original idea of her as the master, even though you say thats not your intent - thats whats coming across in your poses, etc.

If I'm correct in the fact of his life-time obsession with her and that he's been working on her forever and will never be finished here are some suggestions to play that up a little more.

- Dress - make the garment on the rack something he's been working on forever too. Put pins on it, tape measure, etc. Scraps of a different fabric on the floor (a fabric that isn't on the dress now) - some lace that he had on there at one time but removed. Make sure everything is in a finished state though. He's been done with her forever - but keeps reworking little things because its just not perfect.

- Workshop - rethink the workshop, I like the idea that this isn't his workshop but that his workshop is his house. He's obsessed with her, she wouldn't spend the nights in a "shop" but would stay with him. He talks to her, eats with her, etc. You could play it up by putting the table next to her (with another chair), this is where he sits to eat dinner and talk to her. Where the table is now (on the right), put a footboard and a little section of bed. This is a studio apt type dwelling and she watches over him while he sleeps. Maybe putting the bed in the background would work too. You could even put the smallest of hits of how he has his obsession (next to the bed or on the walls) you could put a picture of a real girl that looks a lot like the puppet. Dont make it too obvious. Is the girl his deceased wife, daughter, long-lost love???

- Since she's been done for quite a while, the work he's doin on her has to be relatively small (i.e. no hammer, nails, etc). Maybe he's sanding her, or scraping some of the wood because he's just not happy with the form?

Anyways - I absolutely love the idea and pic. You make me sad that my drawing skills are nowhere as good, and at the same time make me want to keep practicing more. And like someone said above - don't screw this up!! I'm almost as obsessed with this pic, as the man is over his puppet!

Goro
04-08-2005, 07:04 PM
colors looking good! But I think the whole painting needs more contrast.

I'm little confused about the groundplane. Didn't realize it before but it seems to be in
a odd angle. It's not horizontal.
Hmmm...looks like the guy on the right needs to...how do I explain this...well he can't
sit relaxed cause otherwise he would fall over to the right cause the ground is not
horizontal.

tilite
04-08-2005, 07:15 PM
holy crap balls hoodlum.. thats not a few thoughts thats like a novel on how to crack a pestacio nut!!

nice to see u ecpressing urself

da_hoodlum
04-08-2005, 07:17 PM
Yeah ran longer than i thought it would when i started the thread out... told ya i was getting a lil crazy/obsessed with it :) might go home and try to make myself a wooden puppet now...

PeterPuppet
04-08-2005, 07:35 PM
This is nice, but you broke the guys left arm! Im never gonna forget this and there is no excuse!:twisted: Just kidding... but its true. The wrong shadow makes it look like that and his pose is quite... well... instable. All in all, this is one of my favs., so...

keep going, dude!:thumbsup:

(loving the left foot of the puppet especially, dont know why)

peace, pete

calisto-lynn
04-08-2005, 08:57 PM
aah..you never dissapoint us.. always posting on time. this looks apsolutely fantastic! i really have nothing to comment. simply great!:applause:

ArtisticVisions
04-08-2005, 10:47 PM
da_hoodlum: If you had read the entire thread, you'd already know that the Master isn't who you think it is. :rolleyes:

Michael: Looking good. :thumbsup:
I'm thinking maybe the lamp on the table should be closer to the characters, judging from the current amount of light on them. Also, the lighting on the bulletin board (near the window) doesn't make sense to me; if the board was closest to the window rather than the lamp, wouldn't the primary lightsource be coming from the window?

Tariq12
04-08-2005, 10:53 PM
Yeah man this is looking really AWESOME. !! I love the light source on the table in the foreground. Also the reflected light on the doll is great ! :thumbsup:

Cool stuff man, will b popin' back soon.
T.

sidchagan
04-08-2005, 11:11 PM
The color/lighting on the android looks great so far, shaping up nicely.

element5
04-09-2005, 01:00 PM
Michael you have done alot since my last visit, I like what you have done. The lighting and colouring looks great and the 2 igures are becoming more real to me...:applause:

W-I-L
04-09-2005, 01:04 PM
i really am loving this... the composition works beautifully. and love ur colours

ms@zx
04-11-2005, 04:22 AM
da hoodlum - wow,my goodness,thanks a million for the comments and suggestions,as of material for the marionette,i'd probably go for wood,i'll definitely look into wether to make her dullier or maybe shiny wood surface,as i actually made him polishing/sanding her feet.as for the lights,i could re adjust the position of the lantern on the table alil back futher and dim down abit as it seems quite glowing for now.about the light from the window,i'll see what i can do,probably brighten up alil bit on the fog and make the light cast on the ground more apparent.and yes another light on the left of the window will add up to the piece better.
about the story,i think artisticvision have made it clear for me:)and yet u have actually got the concept right and its definitely my intend to make the marionette the master.as for the dress and the workshop,i'll take ur advice and put consideration upon the comment on this. thanks again for the page long comments,its more than what i've expected:scream:

the peteboy - yeah,the ground part is not quite there yet,i'll definitely work on the shadow.notice the arm too..haha,i'll get it fix.thanks mate:D

goro - hmm..i'm not sure but probably its due to the perspective and also the shodow,as for the contrast of the pic,its alil bit early as the background hasnt been rendered yet.however,i'll take ur advise to enhance the contrast of the characters.thanks mate~u've help alot:)

calisto - thanks again my friend:)i'll do my best not to disappoint anyone and everyone here

artisticvision - u were right,the lamp on the table probably hit too much on the board behind.thanks for pointing that out:)

tariq12,sidchagan,element5 and W!L - thanks alot for the support.ur commments and compliments are very much appreciated.
hopefully i could get some time tonite or tomorrow to do some update on it.

ms@zx
04-11-2005, 04:58 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5692/5692_1113238708_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5692/5692_1113238708_large.jpg)

hey guys,just alil update here,more to go still.i'll be following up all the commments u guys have fed when i come to the part.might add a bunker bed on the background later.gotta see how it fits the compo~thanks again and have fun~!:)

navylete
04-11-2005, 10:59 PM
Hi, my first impression of your picture was feeling of something sexual there (nothing explicit - only something in the air). May be its not your objective but it should be the way....

ms@zx
04-12-2005, 11:15 AM
navylete - thanks mate,lolhttp://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/scream.gif,my objective here is definitely has nothing to do sexually.
anyway,i'll post update as soon as i have time:)just stay tuned alright

Slav
04-12-2005, 12:20 PM
OH MAN!

now i remember why i dont like the shiny marionettes. that show called thunderbirds go from the 80s or something completely ruined it for me. but oh man was it good. everything about it was solid but the story. and this is commin together quite nicely nothing to say but sit back watch the updates come and sip on some brewskies. :thumbsup:

Tariq12
04-12-2005, 01:58 PM
Hey Michael, looking FANTASTIC man. Love the lighting. one small crit though, the guy's arm in the foreground is lookin a little big and dislocated from the shoulder. Just take a look at it , maybe i'm wrong.
Cheers,
T.

calisto-lynn
04-12-2005, 02:40 PM
the tings are starting to look better, and better.. great job:)

ms@zx
04-12-2005, 03:02 PM
Slav - hey there,thanks alot man~i've tried to tone down alil bit on the specular,its not as shiny as before.i think i'll try to make the surface slightly more duller:)

Tariq12 - thanks for the comment mate,yeah..i noticed it though,the arm is slightly off indeed.i'll re adjust on it for the next update..

calisto - hey there~thanks for dropping by again calisto,appreciate ur comments:)

korayarts
04-12-2005, 05:46 PM
good work my friend I like your idea and technic..go on

paturai
04-12-2005, 08:27 PM
This is looking very good so far. My only critique, and this only my personal opinion, is that the girl character is starting to look very robot-like rather than like a marionette. maybe a wood grain or some strings would help. Unless your going for the robot thing, but i hope not, I think the concept is much stronger without. Keep up th good work. :)

tilite
04-13-2005, 08:37 AM
wow its been a while since ive seen this.
its realy comming along great... she has an excelent bronze glow... and so does he?? whats up with that?? is that just from the light... i dont know if it should be so rich.. more thr colour of his shirt

great work ill be back soon

what opacity do u paint on??

ms@zx
04-13-2005, 01:15 PM
korayarts - thanks mate,ur comments are very much appreciated:)

paturai - hey~thanks for the comment,yes i'm going for the wood material on her and yes,it seems like the texture isnt much apperant still but i'll definitely work on it.

tilite - u were right about the shirt,i'll tone down the specular value, besides the colors for the guy is still in progress actually,since he has been working on her for days and nites,i'll certainly make him look alil more messy.its never a certain amount of opacity i paint on this as i keep altering it.

thanks again for the valueble feedbacks guys:)

Arc80
04-13-2005, 02:00 PM
Cool. The lighting is looking really nice. I think the bunker idea can work since you have that lightsource coming from the window. It'll add more to the story. I'll be checking back.

cheers,
Archie

NOOB!
04-13-2005, 02:02 PM
its looking great!!

fooxoo
04-13-2005, 04:22 PM
I really enjoy the shading of the doll and fab colour scheme! I like it!! :thumbsup:

ms@zx
04-14-2005, 06:00 PM
arc80 - thanks mate,the bunker bed will be the next thing after this update.thanks for being surportive :)

noob and fooxoo -thank u guys:)

ms@zx
04-14-2005, 06:02 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5692/5692_1113501745_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5692/5692_1113501745_large.jpg)

some slight update again,i'm gonna proceed to the background on the next one.as for this,i have adjusted on the dislocated arm,detailing alittle here and there.

Kyena
04-15-2005, 10:50 AM
The detail I like the most besides the fact that the idea and the rendering are beautiful is - that the Creator is kneeling in front of his creation..tells a lot more then the normal "Creator and Doll" story.

Wonderful - I am really curious as to where this is leading you in the end :)

ms@zx
04-16-2005, 10:15 AM
thanks alot kyena for the precious comments,i'm currently alil bit out of hand to continue with my piece here.however,i'm sure gonna make this piece to the final.u guys here are very inspiring,and ur entry make me dont wanna stop:)

keep those crits and comments coming guys as to keep myself improving on it.
have fun:)

calisto-lynn
04-16-2005, 05:53 PM
it looks nice. keep up!:)

twoheaded
04-16-2005, 07:03 PM
great concept, I get the feeling of this is the older pinocchio continuing the legacy. could be a great movie theme.
watch the tangent on the table and the pinocchio, the edge of the table is coinciding with the contour of his back.

beelow
04-16-2005, 09:00 PM
I love this image. I had really hopes for this since the concept. Sorry for not posting and keeping up in this thread. But this image looks great!:thumbsup:

walrus
04-16-2005, 09:26 PM
This is really looking great so far, Michael. sorry for not posting to your thread sooner. The 2-color lighting is really nice, and the highlighs and texture on the android are also good. It feels to me like its head is sitting kind of funny on the neck... Maybe it's that the neck is exceptionally long, or it could be that it seems off because we're not seeing the underside of the chin despite the low camera angle. (Which is always a pain, i know. I've got 2 characters in my challenge piece at that angle!)
And i agree with twoheaded about the tangent of the table and the man's back, but i know you're still working on both and are aware of it already.

Anyhow, looking nice, and will only look better as you spend more time on it, which you have plenty of. Good luck!

-mike

keko
04-16-2005, 09:40 PM
very nice lighting and color. I like the way you did the foreground a little bit blur. I think that makes the pic see the depth very well. great work !!
best of luck

ms@zx
04-17-2005, 06:13 AM
calisto - i'm really happy to frequently see u here in my thread.thanks alot for the support my friend:)
twoheaded - thanks mate,hehe,it would be the last think in my mind to make this a movie theme:scream:hehe.when i 1st thought of this concept,pinnochio never really popped in my mind.yes, i noticed the tangent of the table,i;d probably adjust the position to make it less coinciding the back of the servant.

beelow - thanks alot,very much appreciated for dripping by again:)
walrus - yeah,thanks for the tips man,the neck is indeed alil too long yet thin to support the head.i'll be working on the the table as soon as i laid my hand on the piece.thanks again friend:)

keko - thank u very much for the comment,i'll make ithe foreground slightly more blurer to make a better enhancement to the depth.

asparta
04-17-2005, 07:49 AM
the idea about the puppeteer and his puppet is well known...but the situation and the representation of it looks entirely unorthodox approach...regards

PeterPuppet
04-17-2005, 01:56 PM
Nice!:thumbsup: You fixed the shoulder, but his lower left arm is rendered wrong now. Looks like yum:bounce: . The whole part from the ellbow to his hand should have the same color as the right part of his face (viewers left) as it is almost in the same line and let some shadow cast on his ellbow because now his upper arm is too long. I hope you get what I mean. If not, tell me and I make a quick sketch and mail it to you. I really love this peace:) .

Other than that, nicenice! Keep it up!

peace, pete

ms@zx
04-18-2005, 12:12 PM
a million thanks to u pete for the little tutorial on the arm,i'll definitely look into and work it out the way u have tutored.its truely helpful and i'm really glad, as to express my gratitude towards the help u have given,i'm gonna finish this piece no matter what:)thanks again and very much appreciated for the guide

asparta - thanks alot mate:)

nebezial
04-18-2005, 12:19 PM
just a lil detail, the fabric of the guys shirt on the shoulder folds a bit unnaturaly, it gives the impression that there is a piece missing ,otherwise, looks awesome, the atmosphere is perfect:thumbsup:

calisto-lynn
04-18-2005, 03:41 PM
great atmosphere.. cant wait for more!!!:bounce:

Tranchefeux
04-18-2005, 07:52 PM
Hi, the yellow light gives a good environment to your painting, just perhaps re-examines the right leg of the man.

Tariq12
04-19-2005, 01:07 AM
...looking nice man, looking very nice indeed.
T.

Rudeone
04-19-2005, 10:46 PM
Been away for a while and I come back to find some great progress here on the forum.

It's starting to look really cool, great atmosphere. I really like the light coming trough the window and how it looks like dust is floating in the air, great job:thumbsup:

k33d
04-20-2005, 12:35 AM
Very nice doode!!! I really like what you did here :D! GG

TheFirstAngel
04-20-2005, 01:08 AM
hmmm, looks really fine. hard to crit cuz it really looks excellent. i love the sweetness of your piece. just keep on going, an excellent work!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

fkcsantaclaus
04-20-2005, 09:13 AM
i spent some time to read ur thread. it was great man! one of the best of this competition,........keep it up..........feel proud with u lah............can we be a friend?......haha :applause:

calisto-lynn
04-20-2005, 11:08 AM
more, more!!:thumbsup:

ms@zx
04-20-2005, 05:41 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5692/5692_1114018871_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5692/5692_1114018871_large.jpg)

hi guys~its been awhile since i last updated,been pretty bz with my other works,here just some painting and some slight touch up.some quite some time on the gown though.~thanks for all the warmth and supportive comments guys.:)

ms@zx
04-20-2005, 05:55 PM
neb - thanks alot my friend,i adjusted the fabric ,hopefully it looks better now.:)
calisto - lol~sorry to have u waited soo long for the update.u've been very supportive and thanks alot:)here it goes~
tranchefeux - thank u for the comments,hmm..i'll see to it though i'm not really sure about the error i made~:scream:
tariq,rudeone,k33d and the1st angel - many thanks guys.same goes to u~
fkcsantaclaus - thanks for spending the time to view the entire thread,appreciate ur compliments my friend:)u've been doing great too~!

profg
04-20-2005, 06:20 PM
This looks very promising. I'm subscribin' right now.

ms@zx
04-20-2005, 07:57 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5692/5692_1114027038_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5692/5692_1114027038_large.jpg)

just another slight update.:)gotta go to bed now.
thanks profg~way to go:)

AlyFell
04-20-2005, 10:42 PM
This is really looking gorgeous! I like the lighting, and am blown away by the focus on the table in the foreground! :)

sidchagan
04-20-2005, 11:56 PM
Coming out nicely, though I'm not really sure that the gritty look suits it- seems to call for a smoother style.
Composition is still running strong, and t he coloring on the android/doll is bettert han ever.

fkcsantaclaus
04-21-2005, 05:58 AM
hey freind :) ,i was gratuated from Dasein Academy of Art which in K.L. how about u? The One Academy?

PeterPuppet
04-21-2005, 08:05 PM
:applause: :thumbsup: :bounce: :buttrock: buddy! I love it:)

peace, pete

clayeraser
04-21-2005, 08:44 PM
Great angle for your painting :banghead:

ms@zx
04-22-2005, 03:58 AM
poshspice,sidchagan,clayeraser - thanks alot my friend,i'll keep improvising it:)

fkcsantaclaus - ohh dasein,i have a colleague who's from the same college.yeah,u are right,i'm a TOA grads:)

the peteboy - yay~!!glad u like it.might not be seeing it without ur precious help~thank u again:)

wraithdt
04-22-2005, 04:42 AM
Woohoo, a fellow Malaysian!
Love your story dude and the lighting is coming along great. Keep it up and Good Luck!

calisto-lynn
04-22-2005, 01:32 PM
yust passin by to look ot for an update. way to goo! it goes on great! im lovin it!:) im glad to be supportig, cuz i really like ur work!

eliza
04-22-2005, 03:07 PM
great job with the entry !!!

adia
04-22-2005, 04:17 PM
so original and creative idea
i really dig into it
emotional and impressive one too

BlacKeri
04-23-2005, 12:11 AM
Rarely do I see lights used in such a creative way. Great!

jeromoo
04-23-2005, 03:17 AM
Hi Michael! What an interesting concept! How about tilting the puppet's head to the other side so that she will look like she is looking at him. Makes her seem alive! :)

Arc80
04-23-2005, 03:46 AM
:eek: This is looking so great. I dig the add ons at the back. It keeps enhancing the story more and more. BRAVO... :applause:

cheers

Miyagu
04-23-2005, 07:12 PM
just popped in to say that i love your doll! :)
the dress in the background, lights and composition, the mood.. --> great!! :thumbsup:

*waiting for updates*

ms@zx
04-24-2005, 11:25 AM
wraithdt - hey thanks for the support mate,are u a malaysian too?

calisto - i'd sure love having u around here,keep my entry alive,i'll have it done soon.thanks for the continuous support:)

eliza,adia,BlacKeri,Arc80,dunkelgold - many thanks for the remarks,very much appreciated

jeromoo - thanks for the feedbacks friend,well i have the intention to have her look that way.i've tried to make her face tilted to the other side but it doesnt seems to convey much either,for now,this is my personal preference and i'll stick to it:)thanks again~

3dRaven
04-24-2005, 01:12 PM
Great work on the ligthing Michael. The soft volume light from the window looks natural. Can't wait till you add details the the servants hair.. it seems to be the only place where she has little detail (light/shadow work)

Looking forward to seeing more progress from you :thumbsup:

TheFirstAngel
04-25-2005, 03:15 AM
Hi Michael!
Oh man, was so tired i had to watch ultraprecise to make out your updates :) groundshadows and lightworks are looking fine. hard to crit cuz there IS NOTHING to crit. Neat detail is the handbag u added. not much to say than keep on rocking, your piece is soo beautifull. Keep it up mate!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

xric7
04-25-2005, 03:05 PM
very impressive.
your art skill & idea are realy great.

good luck

AirbORn
04-25-2005, 03:23 PM
Very nice lighting! I like the expression on the women's face, the neck looks a little long but it kinda makes sense because of the fact she is robotic. Either way I like your piece. Keep up the great work!

ms@zx
04-26-2005, 03:28 PM
3dRaven - thanks alot raven,yes about the hair,i'm still trying to figure out how am i gonna do the job:)hehe

the1st_angel - thanks alot my friend~actually,the hand bag thing u mentioned was supposed to be a measuring tape,but since u mentioned hand bag,hmm..good idea:)gotta do more detailing after this

xric7 - i'm glad to receive compliments from u:)thanks alot mate.

AirbORn - thank u very much,i've actually shortened the neck after some comments i had earlier on.:)u do the same my friend~

Nata
04-27-2005, 01:46 PM
I see an interesting concept here, it reminds me of one of my favorite anime "Ghost in the shell". Very nice object placement and effect of camera blur! :applause: Good luck!
_________
My Master and Servant 2D
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=232467

jugeras
04-28-2005, 03:10 AM
getting there. tnx for passing by. been watchin this thread. cheeers :applause:

nebezial
04-28-2005, 05:55 PM
lookin good... just dont u be gettin lazy:D

ms@zx
04-28-2005, 06:10 PM
nata- thanks alot,yeah..some have mention this b4 about how it reminds them of ghost in the shell.anyway,this has nothing to do with the 'gits'.thanks again for dropping by though:)

jugeras - thanks mate,yet to be there,alot to go still..lol:scream: have bee bz recently but i'll make sure this is to be done on time:)

neb - thanks,i'm alil out of hand for the time bieng though.dont worry about me being lazy.:D.hmm..i still have a problem of how i'm gonna pain her eyes.sigh~

ThierryS
04-29-2005, 06:16 PM
Cool modern version on Pinocchio's theme. Very nice light and out of focus effect!:thumbsup:
No critic to make!
Will check your progress on it:)

calisto-lynn
04-29-2005, 06:56 PM
it keeps getting better.. keep up the good work. :D

Agent-Orange
04-29-2005, 06:58 PM
Looking good!

am7
04-29-2005, 09:06 PM
Hey! this is coming along great! I just spot one tiny "error", watch out for a "bad tangent" on the edge of you'r glass in the front, and you'r dress. It might weaken some of the image's perception to show depth. I think perhaps it would be better if you'd move it abit to the right, or remove it?

*edit* on a closer look, I actually feel that you'r table & lightsource bring less focus to your characters versus framing the focal point on them. Perhaps you could just paint a ladder like you have underneath the table there? with a lantern hanging in the roof? Or perhaps I am mistaken... In that case, don't bother to much of my criticsm :)

Keep it up! and keep us updated!

ms@zx
04-30-2005, 03:03 PM
thierry- thanks alot for the compliment.never really had pinochio in my mind when i started this off.however it does reminds alot about it~ :)

calisto - thanks again for being so supportive my friend. :)

agent orange - thank u

am7 - thanks for pointing that out..u r right about the bad tangent thingy,i notice that too:)i'd probably scale it smaller or translate it slightly to the right or maybe like u said,remove it..hmm..about the light thingy,i'll see what i can do,however,i kinda like the result for now.but ofcourse it can be improve:)thanks again for the precious comments

i might not be able to update much till the 5th of may.back to my hometown and i dont have my tablet with me.i promised that i'll definitely complete this one.will be refering to the crits so far and so forth to improvise on it when i got back. :scream: thanks again for the support~

spacesnail
05-02-2005, 09:13 PM
What changes have become there:bounce::bounce:. I've been away from your thread for a too long time.
I especially love the dust near the window, it adds a kind of magic in the whole scene.
And the Depht of field is a great choice :thumbsup:
Can't wait to see the finished picture

Very nice job

dinodog-jr
05-03-2005, 02:04 AM
I felt der is too much darken brownish ..dat's y u need to apply some light source from enviromental stuffs to brighten some portion of this piece. Cool concept to use the window & lamp light to highlight this dark room..

Finally, i wish the cyborg hair can Saturate to other level of color. In order to make it contrast... Instead of "Crashing" wif the Sofa brownish color..

Maybe u will paint the hair more in details..then jst ignore me...hehe..

btw, How come u will go back Hometown at 5 of May? Got public holiday??!!

MDN67
05-03-2005, 11:09 AM
always a very good pic, i see the level of detail who come on the characters, very good work

nebezial
05-03-2005, 12:12 PM
whoooaaa so u sleep... forgot what that was like:argh: hehe

ms@zx
05-04-2005, 02:41 PM
neb - lol,dang~!!i i cant continue for the time being and that makes me cant sleep!...dont worry neb,i wont go asleep until i complete this one,parents wants me to stay over and my time is quite occupied with other stuff.. ;)

MDN67 - thanks alot for the support my friend.. :)

dinodog_Jr - thanks for the feedbacks dino,about he hair,i'll try to experiment abit with some colors,not sure if it'll be good with saturated colors but i'll try it out anyway.probably the light from the window will create some highlight to the hair.what sort of material do u think suits the hair?,coz i cant jst paint those human hair on her.the background is not completely completed,it wont be as dark as now when i got it done:)currently taking a break in my hometown,penang,just resigned from the previous company,will start working in a new studio on the 15th of May as a 2d/3d designer/animator.

spacesmail - great~thank for the remarks mate,u'll be seeing the final image b4 the challenge ends.i wish the same goes to u as ur piece is one of my favourite:)