PDA

View Full Version : Master and Servant 2D Entry: Drew H Larson

DyslexicDan
03-22-2005, 12:34 AM
Drew H Larson has entered the Master and Servant 2D.

Challenge Page (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/masterandservant/view_entries.php?challenger=5673)

Latest Update: Coloring WIP: Bright Sun Shinny Day
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5673/5673_1113526328_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5673/5673_1113526328_large.jpg)

Color!

Alright none of this is final. I can change any color at a drop of a hat. Also note that this is just mat colors. I'll be changing and stuff soon enough.

Hillartsympho
03-22-2005, 12:35 AM
Good Luck!

Kid-Mesh
03-22-2005, 12:36 AM
Have Fun and Good Luck :thumbsup:

DyslexicDan
03-22-2005, 01:58 AM
Thank you and I will have fun. I already have and idea in the works and I'll be doing a photo session with some friends for reference material.

I'm not going to bother to nock out a concept sketch on the first night. I have to study for econ test but I'm sure I'm going to get tired of that and I might find my self working on something yet.

DyslexicDan
03-22-2005, 04:51 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5673/5673_1111470682_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5673/5673_1111470682_large.jpg)

Here Iím just going to explain my idea and what everything in the image is. Iíll talk about layout and all that other stuff in a latter post.

Iím stepping away from any kind of fantasy or sci-fi theme and instead do something more comical. We have here our typical ďgamerĒ stuck in front in front of a video game system. The TV and the video game system will not be depicted in the image but rather alluded to with the glow from the TV that will be cast on the ďcharacterĒ and the iconic game controller in his hands. The master is the game (video game system) and it will not be depicted because sometimes it more powerful (that is code for artsy) to not to depict the master but rather alluded to it. Iím really trying to think outside the box (or rather just different) on this one so that we donít have a bunch of repeating themes.

The ďchickĒ is a tool that will show the control that the game has over the guy. The girl will have look of frustration on her face because she will be trying to seduce the guy and the guy will be totally ignoring her. Thus showing the control. Also I just wanted a hot chick in the picture. I guess having a hot chick trying to seduce a gamer qualifies this as fantasy theme! HahahÖ Ok I though it was funny.

DyslexicDan
03-22-2005, 05:20 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5673/5673_1111515615_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5673/5673_1111515615_large.jpg)

Just a concept sketch of "the dude" with a few comments and things to remember.

The light from the TV screen it going to be the primary light source so I'm not really sure how much of the back ground i'm going end up showing. Still have no idea of what the back ground will be.

DyslexicDan
03-22-2005, 07:50 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5673/5673_1111524644_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5673/5673_1111524644_large.jpg)

Changed the origenal idea. Instead of having the girl in front of him she'll be behind him with a look of frustration or something like that.

paulwdavidson
03-22-2005, 10:10 PM
You've made a good start here...........I'll pop in from time to time and see how you're getting on

Good luck

Paul

RippleMDK
03-22-2005, 10:35 PM
Argh... well there goes my original idea. I guess my wife can't be the only one who thinks the "game system" is in charge. Good luck with your submission, my wife will really like to see what you come up with.:)

RippleMDK

DyslexicDan
03-22-2005, 11:47 PM
Well please tell me what your wife will think about the half naked woman. :D

DyslexicDan
03-23-2005, 12:30 AM
You've made a good start here...........I'll pop in from time to time and see how you're getting on

Thanks for the recognition. I realize everyone is ogling over the pros and that I fall somewhere between Alex Ross and 4th grader. Iím here to enjoy what I do and to receive some pointers. Well a little showing off doesnít hurt.

Iím probably going to do a lot of concept sketching because normally I would have whipped out a sketch and had it inked by now but I want to really try hard on this one and make a good product.

I have already started sketch that if it turns out well enough will get inked but I want to do a hand full of concepts of faces to put on the two characters before I finish it.

Jezzarts
03-23-2005, 06:42 AM
Nice start there mate, I like the doped out stare this guy has. Maybe you could have ghostly arms or something coming out of the screen to grab him... the girlfriend could be centered in the distance trying to get his attention, maybe have her slightly blured like he's zoned out from her... although with a body like hers, the game console would have dust on it!!

Good luck with it! - jez

DyslexicDan
03-23-2005, 03:07 PM
Hmmm, the idea you propose intrigues me. The change that I just recently made had the girl friend leaning on the guyís back as so give a triangle focus of the two figures but have another woman that represents the video game gives me a hand full of ideas to play with.

Right now Iím toying with the idea of a game of ďtug of warĒ between the real world and the video game world. The girl friend could represent the real world and another girl coming out of the TV (ala Virtual Girl A.I.) represents the world you escape to when playing video games.

Donít know if Iím going to for this idea yet. Iím currently in class not paying attention to my professor but once I get back Iíll toy with the idea more and wip out another concept sketch for the digital girl.

Any excuse to draw more half naked women is a good excuse for me. :thumbsup:

Mordalles
03-23-2005, 09:26 PM
wow, i like your sketches so far. il be sure to check in often.

DyslexicDan
03-24-2005, 02:01 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5673/5673_1111633305_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5673/5673_1111633305_large.jpg)

Holy scandally clad woman BatMan! My second milestone!
Well Iím sure Iím going to be posting line art until I have this inked in black.
There is quite a bit more to do ad but my computer is running low on memory and I need to reboot. Damn Windows. Food is needed at the moment and probably some caffeine. More to come later.

DyslexicDan
03-24-2005, 04:37 AM
A verbal update for my imaginary supporters. I'm nocking out some fairly entertaining line art. It may not win but no will be able to say it doesn't have any character in it.

I'm also putting off dressing the girls because I really have no idea what they should ware not because I'm total pervoid... Well not totaly. :D

DyslexicDan
03-24-2005, 05:45 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5673/5673_1111646737_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5673/5673_1111646737_large.jpg)

I'm stuck on what hair to give this girl.

I haven't gotten a lot of traffic and I'm the biggest contributor to my thread but this is one point I really do want some opinions on.

If none of them are keepers just say so. It didn't take me long make the ones shown.

Phoenix Dragonhawk
03-24-2005, 06:11 AM
Lookin good dan. As for the hair, I would recommend something like 2 or 7, they are a lot calmer than the others and more attractive than the braids in 5. still on it's way...

Claireabella
03-24-2005, 08:29 AM
Hi Drew. Great idea. for the hair I like 6 or 7. Good luck and I'm looking forward to seeing how it progresses. :) Claireabella

ravyn
03-24-2005, 01:34 PM
Wonderful concept.

For the hair.. I like #7
Good Luck!! I'm anxious to see how this turns out..

DyslexicDan
03-25-2005, 07:38 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5673/5673_1111783123_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5673/5673_1111783123_large.jpg)

Updated line art.

Got all the little systems and TV drawn in. Still need to do the davenport, end table, and friskers the cat.

I want to add more clutter but I'm not sure what.

walrus
03-25-2005, 08:06 PM
Nice concept, Drew! I'm sure my wife could relate at times, too! :-)
I'm having trouble reading that arm scratching the guy's head: Is it his, or the woman to the right of him? I think it's hers, but it's hard to read: Perhaps it could help if you could also see his other hand holding the controller? Also, the left woman's breasts appear to be two different sizes.
Anyhow, look forward to seeing how you progress with this. Good luck!

-mike

Mordalles
03-25-2005, 08:19 PM
looks really nice! hehe.

DyslexicDan
03-25-2005, 08:19 PM
That arm belongs to the girl on the right. The idea is that she was fiddling around the the guy's hair when she notice he wasn't paying her any attention.

Now that I notice it doesn't look right with out the guy's other arm its butting the hell out of me. I'm also going to have to fix the girl on the left now.

Thank you vary much Walrus for picking those bits out. I probably would have gown all the way to coloring if no one said anything.

DyslexicDan
03-28-2005, 02:33 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5673/5673_1111980817_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5673/5673_1111980817_large.jpg)

Ok now i'm kind of at a point were I'm going to have to decide how i'm going to color this. Traditionally I would ink this in black and do simple cell style of coloring. Nothing all that difficult (see the cretinoid link in my sig for an example).

My question is, should I try and "paint" over the line art like many of the other artist here or do I go down the path I would normally take. Seeing how the point of the challenges is to push the artist I think I'll try the paint method. But now the problem is how do I paint in photoshop. Photoshop is the only tool that I have (or at least for this challenge) and all I have used so far are the default tools and brushes.

So any help would be great. Links, pointer, or what ever would be nice.

ArtisticVisions
03-28-2005, 03:01 AM
For painting in Photoshop (not that I do a lot of painting in PS for my own work - I use Painter), the trick is to either using the Art History brush or to change the brush settings to best work with a graphics tablet. (Brush settings are in version 7 and up)

For Brush settings, you'll want to change the Shape Dynamics and Other Dynamics to react to your tablet's pen; in addition, you can get different brush results by changing the Scattering, Texture, and Dual Brush settings as well.

For the Art History brush, well... I've never used it, so I can't give much info on that. :shrug:

Oh, and great entry. :thumbsup:

DyslexicDan
03-28-2005, 01:01 PM
thanks for lead. I have been fiddling with the brush settings trying to get it to respond in a manner I like. Haven't got it right yet but showing me were I'll probably need to go.

I started looking at my comic books to try and see how they are doing it. I'm getting a better idea of were I want to go with this.

JTD
03-30-2005, 05:22 AM
Perfect example of master (game console) and slave (my brother-in-law)! This is funny. I'll watch how you color it but I couldn't give you any advice at this point because I don't know much about color myself. I wish us both luck!:)

DyslexicDan
04-04-2005, 03:01 PM
Of all the things to do I ended up moving over the weekend. It was planned and everything but I just didn't see it coming in regards to the challenge. I'll have my ready by the end of the day and should be working again on the challeng by tonight if all goes well.

That last two weeks have just been out of my hands and haven't gotten anything done. Well thats not true. I printed out a copy of my line art and started to pencil in were the shadows would be (because it is easier to do it by hand first then go back in and add them in on the tablet) and I also have played around with layers and color a bit only to find out that I'm not going to paint this sucker but rather I'm going to do a comic book style cell shading (if you could call it that). Though I think I have already said this.

DyslexicDan
04-04-2005, 03:06 PM
There are a few things that are bugging me. Like the video game system behind the guy's hands makes it hard to see the controller in his hands. When I shadded everything I help out a bit and once I get color in it should be vary readable but I still wonder if I should move that game system.

The other thing that bugs me is the wall behind the girl. It needs something on it but I wonder if that would be to much for that area. I also need to remember that only the characters are going to be in any amount of light and that everything on the back wall will in shadows so putting something on the wall yet shouldn't draw focus away from the girl coming out of the tv.

sorry for any misspellings in this post or the one befor. Its early in the morning I'm in class and I haven't had my caffine today.

nebezial
04-04-2005, 04:17 PM
coffee mmmm yess, love ur concept man, and ur drawing style rocks,is the girl going out of tv gonna emit some light at the guy?:wavey:

DyslexicDan
04-04-2005, 04:42 PM
is the girl going out of tv gonna emit some light at the guy?:wavey:

Yes she is. I don't know if i'm going to have her be a glowing blue color or just have her emit the light. I'll probably do one of both and post it when I get to the coloring.

DyslexicDan
04-06-2005, 02:46 PM
Still unpacking from the move. Just finished a test for school and going to start another one soon. Will bindg draw this weekend to make up for lost time. Odds are that I'll draw some before that yet.I started saving selected area so I can play with color layout.

tilite
04-06-2005, 03:16 PM
ahh this is cool... great drawings... i love this concept. i hvnt had time to read threw ur thread but ill be back to check it out and post again.

i think u could do something really cool with blending the girls wait to the tv...(as if she is pulling the screen with her) not jsut having it so clean cut.. then u could make her out of a blue transperant light that a tv emits... now that would look cool.

something else that would look good with that is one of those new flatscreens (like 8cm's thick)

as i said i hvnt had a chance to look over so if u have already raised any of this i apologise... if not tell me what u think.

ill be back... great work!

tilite
04-06-2005, 03:19 PM
ok ive just been looking at ur last post again... i think if u sunk her back into the tv about half a foot and took away her suporting arm that would be awesome. i mean she is a video game she doesnt need to be affected by gravity.

you should take her right are and out stretch it to the boy.

(if u have a spare 10mins are u able to rework the sketch and post it just to humour me... lol(rather selfish request))
once again good luck

DyslexicDan
04-06-2005, 09:17 PM
think u could do something really cool with blending the girls wait to the tv...(as if she is pulling the screen with her) not jsut having it so clean cut.. then u could make her out of a blue transperant light that a tv emits... now that would look cool.

Iím not really going to dispute the physics of a fantasy setting. How things appear are bases on the influences that they are paying homage to (if you would like to know just ask and Iíll answer in my next response). The current idea is to make a bluish white TV gold color but coloring is still a bit away and Iíll deal with that when I come to it.

something else that would look good with that is one of those new flatscreens (like 8cm's thick)

Not to make it sound that Iím offended or anything (I honestly glad some one has actively engaged in my forum.) but I wouldnít make the TV a flat screen because of what it would suggest about the character depicted. I wonít go into that right now but if you ask Iíll answer in my next response.

ok ive just been looking at ur last post again... i think if u sunk her back into the tv about half a foot and took away her suporting arm that would be awesome. i mean she is a video game she doesnt need to be affected by gravity.

Again Iím not going to dispute the physics that appear in the image. Iím currently more interested in compositional issues, form issues, and making sure everything is in proper proportion.

you should take her right are and out stretch it to the boy.

To be honest I trying to avoid obstructing the view of her chest to help suggest the reasons why she is the master and for other reasons that you could probably figure out. Iíll change it if its compositional unsound but from what I can tell about the only thing unpleasing about the arm on the TV is that hand. It looks a bit small.

And like I have said in post #33, Iím still unpacking from moving and scrambling to my class work done. I made that post around 10am this morning in class and as Iím typing this right now its 4pm and Iím still in class (college classes).

I plan on binging out on drawing this weekend and hopefully if I find my wacom early Iíll get some drawing time in. I really donít have the luxury of being able to work on my drawing every night, though some weeks I have made it a point to do just that.

I like your ideas and Iíll play around with them while I can but right now Iím trying correct proportions, perspective, and composition issues..

DyslexicDan
04-06-2005, 09:24 PM
Dang its killing me that I can't be working on my entry right now. I have left it alone far to long.

I'm going a bit mad.

tilite
04-07-2005, 05:50 AM
well i mean its ur piece and sticking to the laws of physics is fine... i guess i prefer the extents that outrageous fantasy offers in comparison to pysically possible reasonings.

shame u cannot work on it as much as u want.

ill pop back in to see how ur going sometime

best of luck

DyslexicDan
04-07-2005, 09:30 PM
What I said about the physics is that I am not going to dispute them because its a fantasy setting and it can any way I want it to. Also I have them already worked out and that the first thing that will make me change them would be compositional issues but again like I have said before I'm always open to opinions.

Also I already tried the floating bit and it wasn't working out.

DyslexicDan
04-07-2005, 09:39 PM
What I would like to know is what could I add. The game systems are great but it just doesn't seem cluttered enough for the sean.

DyslexicDan
04-12-2005, 10:35 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5673/5673_1113345308_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5673/5673_1113345308_large.jpg)

To show that I'm still in the game here is an update of sorts.

I inked over the line art with really nice crisp lines. The colors are darker shades of what the object is going to be colored. I think I found out a really nifty way of changing the colors of the lines if they colors donít work out. I also put literally every object in their own layer.

I didnít bother doing the bodies because I need a good skin tone pallet.

From here on I guess it is just a matter of getting past this last step before we start seeing fields of color on this sucker.

tilite
04-13-2005, 08:53 AM
when are u going to get round to painting this puppyill have a think about clutter tho

DyslexicDan
04-13-2005, 04:42 PM
I'll probably finish the line art for the bodies with a stand in color that I'll probably end up changing later then I'll probably have color wip of some kind by wednesday night.

As I'm typing this I'm at the end of one class getting ready for the next one which is Database 101 or what ever it is called. I printed off a few copies of the line art so I'll by penciling in some shadows ideas and playing around with clutter to add durring that class.

more details later

DyslexicDan
04-15-2005, 12:52 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5673/5673_1113526328_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5673/5673_1113526328_large.jpg)

Color!

Alright none of this is final. I can change any color at a drop of a hat. Also note that this is just mat colors. I'll be changing and stuff soon enough.

I just now noticed that she is missing left leg. I'll have that fixed later.

DyslexicDan
04-15-2005, 05:01 AM
Damn kind of wish I had something more then photoshop now. I wish I could just go about this like a painting but for the life of me I can't get photoshop to work that way.

ArtisticVisions
04-15-2005, 01:04 PM
DyslexicDan: If I were you, I'd seriously go over and look at both Enayla's M/S thread and her Q&A session going on; she uses Photoshop as well and knows a ton about digital painting in PS.

Mordalles
04-26-2005, 10:11 PM
ooh, looks so cool. i like the way u draw females. great style. cant wait to see more.

DyslexicDan
04-27-2005, 08:23 PM
Just sharing that Iím not dead or out of the game yet. Iím currently in the middle of the finals weeks (about 2 weeks). I had to crack down on the books a bit and practice my code syntax. Iíll get back to work soon.

The deadline crunch is coming up and school is ending before then so Iíll have a hand full of days to focus on this and hopefully get to finish in time.

xric7
05-04-2005, 08:20 PM
wow..:bounce:
cool idea!the characters are also great.:thumbsup:
love the shape of human body.
will look forward to ur update coloring.:)
cheers.

Tawneycocker
05-09-2005, 04:28 PM
Drew I rather think that PHD is also code for unemployed and MFAis himmm may be if you take a pay cut. your movement is dynamic. which one of the females is in the mastery position. were you to make one more specific with the use of detail the observer might know. as an instance were you to give detail to the male chairicter and some detail to each of the female chairicters with one getting more than the other this might show movement of power.also if the screen had detail but the room remained devoid the thought would immediatly focus upon the movement of power. your anatomy is top drawer. I had no idea that those of us in the provence of Wisconsin were so creative. excellent start. this would make an excellent inspiration for a book.

CGTalk Moderation
05-09-2005, 04:28 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.