PDA

View Full Version : Master and Servant 3D Entry: James Marcelin

Pages : 1 [2]

ace4016
04-23-2005, 11:35 AM
Thanks Lemog. I was afraid the arms looked a bit simple compared to the rest of the body, but I am not sure what to add. I'll see what I can do. I still have texturing to do to add some detail to the armor. I also can't belive I forgot one piece of the arms that goes above the dorsal side of the hand; silly me.

ace4016
04-23-2005, 11:49 AM
Didn't see you there Greg. I currently have a anistropic material on with 300 spec and 30 gloss, just for test with the surface. I will definately add maps to the material. The arm shield is supose to be that big because he is partially an upclose unit (thats also why all the sharp blades), nto to mention they are used to recieve and inflict a lot of damage. I hope to show this with textures: I plan on having the paint of the arm shield and blade worn from the escape fight. The hands are partially in the arm shield, but I'll try making them slighty bigger. Thanks:thumbsup: .

ArtisticVisions
04-23-2005, 05:24 PM
Looking at the whole design (which is pretty nice, btw :) ), I think the helm could be a bit further refined; it looks a little plain when compared to the rest of the suit. In regards to the coloring/texturing, I'd definately give a different color scheme than what he has now (too much Ultraman, I think :D ).

Cheers.

Lemog
04-24-2005, 06:32 AM
If you simply enriched the arms parts... you can just add a kind of assembly line... as if that part of armor was in 2 or 3 pieces... no ?

ace4016
04-24-2005, 07:37 AM
ArtisticVisions - By helm, do you mean helmet? Other then on a boat, the definition of the word escapes me right now, been looking at vector and intergrals too long:eek: , my memory is shot (finals time). If you've got anything specific that maybe you had in mind, I'd like to hear it. And with the color shceme, if you mean the red, blue and silver, don't worry, that was just so you guys can see what is what (but now I know why I picked those colors). The military uses silver/grey for urban areas, so that's why the silver and black color scheme. If you have an idea for a color scheme, I'm all ears, my eyes always try to get me to do darker colors.

Lemog - Some detail I will add with a bump or displacement map. If I split the arms now, the poly count will be higher, I have to manage my polycounts sicne I don't know how much polys will be in the final scene, and I never rendered a full scene so I don't know if my computer can take it. I will make sure the arms are more detailed:thumbsup: , I think 3 pieces would be good. We will see.

Kind of busy this weekend so I won't be working on this till tuesday. C&C still welcomed, bye for now :wavey: .

abz
04-24-2005, 08:39 AM
You have been doing amazing work... :applause:
Me getting very little time..but will keep visiting your thread..
Best of luck!!
Cheers!!
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

3dRaven
04-24-2005, 09:45 AM
Good luck & may the poly gods be mercifull :thumbsup:

ace4016
04-24-2005, 09:59 AM
abz - Thanks you. I hope you find time to work a little on your entry. I'll be sure to make your visits to my thread pleasing.

3dRaven - Thanks man, I'll need it. And thanks once again for you help.

ArtisticVisions
04-24-2005, 04:35 PM
ArtisticVisions - By helm, do you mean helmet? Other then on a boat, the definition of the word escapes me right now, been looking at vector and intergrals too long:eek: , my memory is shot (finals time). If you've got anything specific that maybe you had in mind, I'd like to hear it. And with the color shceme, if you mean the red, blue and silver, don't worry, that was just so you guys can see what is what (but now I know why I picked those colors). The military uses silver/grey for urban areas, so that's why the silver and black color scheme. If you have an idea for a color scheme, I'm all ears, my eyes always try to get me to do darker colors.
Yeah, I meant helmet; to me, it looks a bit too "streamlined" when compared to other areas like the shoulder pads, boots, gautlets, etc.
For the surfaces, I might lower the amount of gloss that it currently has - too much gloss and the surface will start looking like plastic.

Aethyrprime
04-24-2005, 09:09 PM
great work so far james... I am liking your progress.. keep it up.

bealobo
04-25-2005, 10:58 AM
good concept and good work so far. :thumbsup:

Climax
04-26-2005, 07:09 PM
Looking good James!, flex areas seem good, just take care in his abs, i see some metal parts there and it should be flexible, and his neck seems to be atached to the chest of the armor, if it won't be movable then it will be uncofortable to the guy inside :scream:
Thx for visiting my thread while I was away! I appreciate your support, I am happy to have good friends :beer:

Falcorr
04-27-2005, 04:52 AM
Thanx for visiting man! :thumbsup:
I came to wish you lots of good luck. I'll try to give tips if i cant think of any later on.

Keep on going :)

nemirc
04-27-2005, 10:39 PM
Hello ace. Nice to see you here.

For some reason your entry reminds me of the previous challenge??? :eek: Master and Servant meets the Grand Space Opera :twisted: HAHAHa. Good luck. I like the idea, I hope you finish on time.

ace4016
04-28-2005, 09:15 AM
ArtisticVisions - Not 100% sure about what I can do to make the head less streamlined, I'll work on it. The material on it is just temporary, it's real shiny so I can see all the contours of the surface. I'll work on real materials soon.

Richard - Thanks, glad you like it so far.

Bealobo - Thanks. I hope to conintue the good work.

Climax - Thanks. The abs and neck are flexible. The metal parts at the neck slide around, and I thinkIi have enough space between the metal parts in the abs to allow him to move (if not...well it's just a still so it wouldn't matter too much:argh: ). I'm glad you consider me a good friend:) .

Falcor_ - No problem, I try to help/support whne I can. Thanks:thumbsup: .

nemirc - Been a while. Thanks for the support, glad you like the idea. Hopefully I will finish.

I haven't worked on this since friday, this has been a hectic week. Next week I'll have a lot more time to finish everything up. Hope to get an update up soon.

nemirc
04-28-2005, 03:09 PM
nemirc - Been a while. Thanks for the support, glad you like the idea. Hopefully I will finish.

I hope that too ;)
It would be interesting to see that mech of yours fight against my insect droid :D (which I am animating right now, I might add :buttrock: )

ace4016
04-29-2005, 07:53 AM
I hope that too ;)
It would be interesting to see that mech of yours fight against my insect droid :D (which I am animating right now, I might add :buttrock: )

Hm, do I hear cameo? lol. If we do decide to do it, I think I'll have to make modifications so he can move a bit more and is pleasant to see from the back side (I didn't detial the back at all, not planning to show it in the still).

nemirc
04-29-2005, 07:25 PM
I stand ready :twisted:

Well, not quite... I still have a couple of things to do before I come to fight :D

jddog
04-30-2005, 10:05 AM
james :applause: a wonderful work here, congrats for you figure/robot modelling looks very stilsh :wip:
jdd

TheFirstAngel
05-03-2005, 06:31 AM
Hey mate, just came to see how you're getting along. the modeling looks fine and the blue/red colorisatins make things unmissunderstandable clear. just a small suggestion. in manner to keep the style all over, you could give some armored glove style in the same shapestyle as the rest of your exoskelleton parts a try. they somehow look unarmored and you could try work with existing parts, scaled down of course to build a glove. :)
keep on rocking my friend! c you soon!

ace4016
05-03-2005, 08:23 AM
nemirc - I'll be waiting:twisted: .

jddog - Thanks jd.

Angel - Thanks. I was actually planning to have armored fingers, the dorsal side of the hand will have something over it so no need for armor there.

I'll be working on this soon, this weekend was hectic. Anymore C&C you guys have, don't be scared tell it. I'll try to have an update soon, so tired right now.

3dRaven
05-03-2005, 08:55 AM
Ace4016 good to see you're still on the project mate :thumbsup: Awaiting your new update :)

Lemog
05-03-2005, 08:57 AM
A really good thing you restart your project James... go working :wip:

Versiden
05-03-2005, 10:14 AM
nice progress m8..

I think the legs look a bit short from the last update, if u measue the arms as a test, how far down do they go before they meet the legs? the arms look a bit long in comparison.

ace4016
05-04-2005, 09:05 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5653/5653_1115193931_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5653/5653_1115193931_large.jpg)

I think I am almsot done with modleing. I can't seeem to design a better helmet so its staying unless I find one along the way. Versiden just pointed out something with the arms, the fincertips reach teh bottom of the thighs, they should on go down a tiny bit past half the thigh; I'll have to work on that. The rest of the detail will come from textures. I think I am going to move on to the composition test so I know what I need to work on specifically to save timme.

ace4016
05-04-2005, 09:14 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5653/5653_1115194464_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5653/5653_1115194464_large.jpg)

Still a bit more work to do, but here is a close up of the hands.

alex.h.
05-04-2005, 09:25 AM
keep going James, looks great. see you mate and :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ace4016
05-04-2005, 09:39 AM
3dRaven - I can't quit now, this will be my first full scene:bounce: .

Lemog - I'm hammering away :wip:

Versiden - Thanks. I missed that arm thing, thanks for catching that.

Alex - Thanks:thumbsup: .

I've gotten tired of working on modeling characters so I'll rig AAU later today, and bring in the girl into a scene to start testing camera angles. That way, I can save myself time on what to really concentrate on things that will show.

bealobo
05-05-2005, 12:09 AM
yeah!
this is going well, show us more, I want to see the whole composition :)
Go go go!!! :bounce:

nemirc
05-05-2005, 04:05 AM
Deadline is upon us man, hurry up! :deal:

Wishing you the best of luck... and what happened to Snoopy :cry:

ace4016
05-05-2005, 05:57 AM
bealobo - I was suppose to have an update today of the composition, wasn't I, lol. Unproductive day, I got the bones made, now I am just linking the parts (many parts to link). I'll try to get something up tomorrow.

nemirc - Thanks. I know, I've got to pick up the pace. I'm hopeing to havea lot done before saturday, but we will see. And Snoopy, he's still around, think I'll finish up that scene after the challenge.

ace4016
05-05-2005, 07:40 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5653/5653_1115275246_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5653/5653_1115275246_large.jpg)

Here is just a picture of the scale between the two character. I think I might make AAU smaller. Both are rigged (as you can see). I also fixed AAU's arms, they aren't too long now. Next update will be a comp test. Ignore a few intersecting mesh problem with AAU, it's just a rig test pose, the rig isn't meant for animation, justr enough to get him in the pose I have in my head.

Squibbit
05-05-2005, 08:12 AM
hey ace, wassup man ?

the shoulder and armpit of the girl's upraised
arm is something worth working on I promise

nice work on the robo

ace4016
05-05-2005, 08:29 AM
I'll work on that, it was on my to-do list that I always lose. I haven't touched her in weeks and the last time I was working on the skinning I gave up and that's why I started AAU when I did. I hate skinning shoulders, I think I'll try blendshapes. When I set up the comp I'll know for sure. 3:30am, pretty ealry for me so maybe I'll work on it before I go to sleep. Thanks for stopping by squibbit:wavey: .

3dRaven
05-05-2005, 09:10 AM
I'd go for less skin tight clothes on the girl. Try some sleeves made out of mesh. Don't forget to rotate the clavacle when putting the arm up next time :)

I agree their scale is a bit off, compared to the concept with the bipeds AAU's huge.

Nekura
05-05-2005, 09:14 AM
Hey! Great progress so far James! Sorry it took me so long to find your thread.. ;)

I'll be watching from here on out.. best of luck man!! :bounce:

DaddyMack
05-05-2005, 02:17 PM
Hey James, well done detailing the big fella! He's come up a treat:thumbsup: The proportions work for me too...Got the scene nailed down yet?

ace4016
05-05-2005, 06:02 PM
3dRaven - I think I will make the shirt looser, it was a pain getting the shirt to match up with the skin of the shoulders: I'm not going through that again. I always forget about the clavicle, it's always there, but I just always forget. I'll have to merge the bipeds I had in the concept to get the scale right.

Nekura - No problem, you haven't really missed anything big. Starting to try to get a comp test up today so stay tuned.

DaddyMack - Thanks. AAu's goign to be a bit smaller (unless it's just all that armor making him look that big). The scene I had in mind, hm, well, I was thinking about having him walk away with Katie during sunset in the desert with a silhouette(sp?) of the base, and a few smoking vehicles and maybe bodies laying next to them way in the distance so I can lay a few Katies and DOF that area so no one can tell. The base will either be done in PS, or a quick low-poly model to serve as a silhouette.

AAU and Katie are veyr high poly (Katie is around 200,000 with clothes and all and AAU has a bunch of parts that are like 10,000), but as I predicted, only viewport speed is affected and I can just go into wireframe mode to view things. With both of them in the scene, it takes 2 seconds to render (yay). Whats going to kill the render times though is going to be the lighting, but it shouldn't go over 2 hours (i've never rendered anything past 5 mins, other then animations with particles, eek). Render in layers, that should help when the time comes. Well, back to work, gotta get that update up for you guys.

ace4016
05-06-2005, 12:40 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5653/5653_1115336394_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5653/5653_1115336394_large.jpg)

Ok, I did a quick comp test. Ran into some trouble with the girl....well a lot of trouble. Don't you guys love my painting skills :D. This is generally what I had planned. I suck at camera angles, so I'll be working on the view. Imagine the debris and base better looking. What do you guys/gals think?

ace4016
05-06-2005, 12:56 AM
I didn't finish the ground but its not meant to be really hilly, but I'll create a few bumps and such. I've got to think about what else to put into the scene, any ideas? There is no lighting in the scene btw.

TheFirstAngel
05-06-2005, 08:04 AM
id go a bit lower(flatter) and closer to the mainactors with the cam angle, and also, prepare fopr a nice deep composition a few forgroundelements. the robot looks fien. well done. keep it up James, keep on rocking!

ace4016
05-06-2005, 09:13 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5653/5653_1115367173_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5653/5653_1115367173_large.jpg)

Lowered the camera view like Angel suggested, and moved the camera to the left. I'm still messing around with the base silhouette. Think I might have helicopters flying off in the distance. The debris is suppose to be 3 damaged vehicles (most likely military SUVs) and a few people (I obviously didn't draw all that). Still didnt touch the ground, but it's a new view. C&C welcomed.

3dRaven
05-06-2005, 09:18 AM
Hi Ace. If he's on the run I'd pose him takin larger strides. He looks a bit like he's walking away now. Try getting it closer to the concept. Good your finally putting the compo together

ace4016
05-06-2005, 09:38 AM
Angel - Thanks for the suggestion, is this better? Just rememer the debris will be bigger and the ground will be slightly hilly, maybe a few rocks here and there. I'll complete this image for sure, even if it means staying up longer then I already do:buttrock: (its 4:30am :D ).

3dRaven - Well...he is walking. It probably wasn't clear in the biped sketchs, but he is walking away with her. He can't really run with her because she is hurt, he doesn't have to move fast at this moment because he has just defeated the soldiers that weren't trapped inside the base, and the base is trapping all personel inside for a while (in the story he's headed towards some rock formations where some caves might be to hide and apply first aid). It's about time I started the compo, just 12 days left:eek: . I'll make it though, just hope 512mb and a ADM64 athlon 3400+ can render the final scene, looks like I might not have a spare day to run out and get more ram (I said I'd get more ram 10 months ago, gotta stop being lazy :P).

Nekura
05-06-2005, 10:11 AM
I like the angle of the second render better.. I think it will make for quite a dramatic image once complete. Put on another pot of coffee and keep at it! :wip:

DaddyMack
05-06-2005, 01:06 PM
Hey James, looking good mate! just play and play till you can't play no more... Must be great to be this close to done:cry:

Kanga
05-06-2005, 01:19 PM
Lookin cool!

I'd have a sunset burn in the background to add drama and reflect that in the armour.
Good work his aceness :thumbsup:

Virtuoso
05-07-2005, 12:58 AM
Good to see you moveing forward James......I like the new perspective/view...thats my favorite angle,it really showcases things the best in my opinion.......Keep working hard,and get this to the finishline ,all the best to you james....:arteest:

nemirc
05-07-2005, 04:55 AM
Hello there my friend. Nice update on the compo. I like the second one better. The droid feels more heroic there thanks to the camera angle and all :thumbsup:

BTW why don't you put your droid on the "contact position" for the walk (legs fully separated). The walk will feel more "dynamic" that way :bounce:

Best of luck pal and hurry up!

ace4016
05-07-2005, 09:30 AM
Nekura - Thanks. Still the background and textures to do....I better make it a double expresso:bounce: .

DaddyMack - lol, I think I play too much, would have been closer to done if I didn't. I have a lot more work to do on this then you think, but I will finish.

Kanga - Thanks. There is only the default max light in the scene and the armor's shader still needs to be done (I don't think a anisotropic material with 300 spec and 30 gloss is goign to cut it for the final). I'll try your suggestion out, hopefully I'll be able to do it.

Virtuoso - Thanks. I'm glad you like it. I will finish, no matter how many sleepless nights (well days since I never sleep at night). Thanks for the encouragement.

nemirc - Thanks. A heroic servant was what I was going for. I think it's pretty clear that the servant is AAU, but not sure if the friendship between the two is apparent. I'll try the "contact" pose, just a bit hard to move AAU because of the rig (his feet don't show for a reason:D , can't get them out of the sand).

Nekura
05-07-2005, 10:24 AM
lol.. you don't sleep at night either? I try to find my Zzz at some point in the day because I seem to do my best programming at night.. plus, I prefer the calm darkness of night (not to mention much less traffic on the road ;) )

ace4016
05-07-2005, 01:09 PM
lol, I especially program at night if I get the chance. I need the quietness; error hunting would be a pain with all the noise. Didn't go to sleep yet so I'll do that so I can get an update soon, time seems to be moving faster for some reason. Looks like I'll blink and a day just goes out the window.

nemirc
05-07-2005, 05:30 PM
nemirc - Thanks. A heroic servant was what I was going for. I think it's pretty clear that the servant is AAU, but not sure if the friendship between the two is apparent. I'll try the "contact" pose, just a bit hard to move AAU because of the rig (his feet don't show for a reason:D , can't get them out of the sand).

Visual contact is all you need :thumbsup:
Don't know if that droid can bend the neck, though :D

ace4016
05-07-2005, 06:07 PM
Visual contact is all you need :thumbsup:
Don't know if that droid can bend the neck, though :D

hehe, he can move his neck....barely, but I'm sure I can get him to look in her direction. Woke up a little while ago so I'll work on it asap, I've yet to unwrap AAU:eek: .

ace4016
05-07-2005, 07:20 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5653/5653_1115490054_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5653/5653_1115490054_large.jpg)

I just turned AAU's head towards Katie to try to get a bond going on. Just trying to pick the final pose now so I know what to work on the most with textures for AAU.

ace4016
05-07-2005, 07:24 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5653/5653_1115490273_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5653/5653_1115490273_large.jpg)

Same as above, just AAU's leg is in the contact position instead of the passing position, as nemirc suggested. C&C welcomed.

ace4016
05-07-2005, 08:06 PM
Hm, that contact position could use some refining. Because AAU's textures can be done procedurally if push comes to shove, I'll do them after I have all scene elements and lighting in. I have to plan the terrain and the silhouettes soon, find a lighting setup, and fix some skinning on Katie's pants (I swear it I don't want to create anything organic anymore, unless I get my own personal skinner:D ). *sigh*I feel like theres so much to do still, just gotta take it one step at a time though.

:::Things Left to Do:::
1) Finish character poses
2) Finish terrain
3) Create silhouette objects
4) Create lighting
5) Texture AAU
6) Fix lighting for AAU's texture (or I can do AAU's texture first....)
7) Finishing touchs in PS

I've got to create the light setup within 4-5 days so I know how long it will take to render the final. A lot of C&C would be highly appreaciated these next few updates.

3dRaven
05-07-2005, 08:32 PM
If you've got any tech questions fire away. I've got plenty of space in my inbox :)

overcontrast
05-07-2005, 09:12 PM
i like the pose of the AAU but i think the girl's pose could be better... and i'll be waitng for the finished image :thumbsup:

3dRaven
05-07-2005, 09:49 PM
Ace if times your greatest enemy I suggest using the script e-light for max and adding in another light (direct of spot) for the shadows. You can catch it at scriptspot.

It fakes a skylight and with the right settings is at least 3 x faster

ace4016
05-07-2005, 10:23 PM
3dRaven - I'll be sure to ask when I need help:thumbsup: . lol, I didnt know how to use maxscripts back when I had e-light, I'll be sure to check it out now though.

overcontrast - Thanks, but which pose of AAU? I'll work on the girl's pose later today, hadn't changed it since the new camera angle.

mmoir
05-07-2005, 10:54 PM
Hey James.
One step at a time is the way to think of it. To me the pose of the robot is good, the girl being held looks a little too stiff. I think if you pull her feet down by bending them at the knees , the feet should be dangling . Also I think her head should be tilted back too.
Keep at it and see you at the finish line.

ace4016
05-08-2005, 11:10 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5653/5653_1115590212_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5653/5653_1115590212_large.jpg)

Played a little with Katie's pose, turned her head towards AAU, and lowered her legs to hang more, as mmoir suggested. Started on the base, no material added yet so it reflects light, which I might take out. Kind of debating whether the base should be a black silhouette or a blurred detailed structure. What do you guys/gals think?

3dRaven
05-08-2005, 11:24 PM
I'd make her legs more bent at the knees. She'd have to use some strength to keep em like that. Her back would be bent at least a little...got an old teddy bear or something similar in the house?? If try holding it in a similar fashion. See how it reacts.

ace4016
05-08-2005, 11:45 PM
mmoir - Thanks for the compliments and suggestions. The girls head is being supported so I can't put it back much, but I turned her head a little so she is looking at AAU, don't know if it's obvious or not.

3dRaven - hehe, you replied while I was writing this. Still working on her pose. I just noticed that you can't see if there is any mesh intersection so I'll be bendint the legs more. The bottom of his arms are wide because of the armor, so her legs are supported slightly, but since you can't see that, I'll let her legs hang a bit more. I see what you mean with the back, I have a younger brother, and scale wise he is Katie's size and I'm AAU's size, so I've got a pretty good refrence right there (he's going to think im going to hurt him though...since I usually end up doing so:twisted: ).

What do you guys think about the base? Think I should also stretch it out so it goes all the way across the screen? The base is pretty big, as you can see, and is quite some distance away from the characters. If I decide not to use a silhouette, I'll just use some quick procedurals for the most part since its way back in the distance and blurred. Going to look at some deserts for the terrain now. More C&C welcomed.

nemirc
05-08-2005, 11:47 PM
I dig your "hero pose", very cool. I have to agree with the legs, they should be more bent.

Best of luck pal :thumbsup:

3dRaven
05-09-2005, 12:06 AM
Ace one thing for sure you can go for a heat wave effect with the base to further distort it and add a slightly fliped blured version underneath it with lower opacity

TheFirstAngel
05-09-2005, 01:12 AM
lol, looking fine so far, hope you got my email mate :) keep on rocking!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Nekura
05-09-2005, 03:57 AM
The base.. hmm.. I think I would need to know/see more of the terrain and foreground before I could give my opinion on the base depiction. It would also depend on what (if anything) would go behind the base.. what would be on the horizon for example.

I like the latest updates to the characters' poses.. it's coming along nicely. :)

ace4016
05-09-2005, 09:27 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5653/5653_1115627251_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5653/5653_1115627251_large.jpg)

Well, I worked a bit on the sand. There won't be dunes, but there will be a few big rocks here and there. Added some lowpoly SUVs on the midground but its probably hard to see that they are SUVs. I'll probably have a few desert bushes around, maybe even one right in the foreground, blurred out of course. I have a temporary light in to show the sand, otherwise you'd only see some same and a bunch of black (looks weird). 49 omni lights in a dome formation, one spot light pointing at the characters from the front, and a direct light pointing at the characters from the back. The armor is really shiny, so the black parts look different, but its a temporary/experimental light setup, and temporary material. Still thinking of things to add, seems a bit emtpy, and its really hard to show how big and far the base is: had to put the SUVs a lot closer to the characters because they would have seemed like less then dots on the screen. I'll probablt make the base smaller and closer. Oh, also played with Katies pose, probably more work to be done, but is it better?

ace4016
05-09-2005, 10:01 AM
nemirc - Thanks. Are the legs better now?

3dRaven - How would I do that heat wave effect? I could try it out, but not sure how to do it:D .

Angel - Thanks for that picture, still considering some things.

Nekura - Thanks. I was thinking that behind the base would just be a valley, don't really want mountains back there competing with the towers of the base and AAU

Just noticed that I accidently blurred the ground...oops. This is also my first render with MR for the challenge images, I like max scanline better, renders faster. My render times have yet to reach a minute:applause: , although the renders don't look so great so guess that doesn't mean much. Anyways, anyone know how to get the lighting to feel like a sunset? Starting to get 3Der's block (like writer's block), can't think about what do add, what to do, etc. Going to sleep, maybe some things will clear up, don't have much time.

alex.h.
05-09-2005, 10:12 AM
thanks for all ace, great work mate and see you later, :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

3dRaven
05-09-2005, 11:06 AM
I bet there's a PS plugin for it somewhere on the net. Guess You could do copy to another layer and just smudge the hell out of it :D...

Or renderer out the background to a bitmap. Make a meshsmoothed box with a noise modifier. Put it in front of the pic....slap a raytrace in the refract slot for the box material...

Got to find the IOR for hot air though...

ace4016
05-10-2005, 07:30 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5653/5653_1115706608_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5653/5653_1115706608_large.jpg)

Started on the lighting. I also changed the material on AAU, the other one was too shiny for any lighting. Still mesisng around with the light right now. I also finally moved the thumbs so they don't collide. I'll be adding some more "trash" in the mid ground, some rocks and shrubs here and there, and make the helicopters 3d. The sky I think I'll paint, but we'll see.

3dRaven
05-10-2005, 07:56 AM
AAU's material is looking better, give him a slight reflection map in a falloff map to break up the grayness... the black elements will look a little less flat too...keep at it James your coming closer every day.

ace4016
05-10-2005, 07:56 AM
alex.h - No problem, and thanks for the support.

3dRaven - Well, I was thinking about it, and realized that you can't see crap at the base of the base, only the sand. Thta pitch black shader eats up everything except blur, but I'll try.
edit: thanks for the tip for the reflection.

Angel recommend a lighitng setup, and I tried it out; didn't know you could put lights outside a sphere and let the light shine through:eek: . Only in the cg world. Still some things to do. I am approximating that my final render will take less then an hour to render since currently a 4000x3000 render takes 4:47. Wish I had a host, then I could show you guys/gals the big render: so many things you can see. It's extremely hard to get a decent bump for AAU since what works at 1024x768, doesn't work at 4000x3000 (image ratio may change). More work to do, but getting closer I guess. Going to look up a few things for the rest of the night. Any C&C is welcomed.

monsitj
05-10-2005, 09:00 AM
Hi jame! i have some idea , i paint over your image , if you want me to take it down , pm me at anytime , because I dont' sure , but your image you done in my thread is verygreat for me , so I have some idea for you , maybe it in your head ,
I add more debris and some ruin construction in front to bring depth and make it as a foreground , back ground building ,I think you have to destroy it ! heheh ! add some orange lighing from the back , and I think you have to make your robot more dirt ,!
if i miss something , im sorry , because I dont' read the whole thread ! good luck!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/monsitj/ace.jpg

ace4016
05-10-2005, 09:48 AM
I don't mind your paintover at all Monsit, infact, I'm honored:love: . Angel had a similar idea with the forground elements and debris, I think I'll move the camera back a bit to allw more of a foreground. The robot looks too clean right now, been meaning to dirty him up a bit, and the girl. I'll try to work on some of these things asap, for now, I must sleep. Thanks Monsit, and glad my little PS work on your image helped.

Virtuoso
05-11-2005, 01:14 AM
Coming along James.......get this done as I know you can.......Thats a real nice layout and paintover from Monsit......I like the idea of really giving the robot a dirty look,some wear and tear......Sets of the mood and setting real well......All the best with your next moves James.....work well.....See you as you move on......:arteest:

ace4016
05-11-2005, 03:53 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5653/5653_1115780029_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5653/5653_1115780029_large.jpg)

helicopter, I finally modeled the helicopter. Also did some rocks, a contruction beam, and a broken helicopter tail. I'm probably going to change the textures on the helicopter and add an opacity map to make it borken. AAU is partially UV mapped, I'm just waiting 'till closer to the end to do things with the textures. Still have to work on the lighting and trying to get a sandstorm effect.

ace4016
05-11-2005, 05:32 AM
Virtuoso - Thanks Michael, hope you had a happy birthday. I'll soon work on getitng some dirt on AAU, but not so much wear since he is kind of new out the "shop." I'll be sure to make it to the end, no doubt about it.

Rendered out a 4000x3000 for all of you, just to see some things not shown. I have to work on some mesh collision that I didn't see in previous renders. Here's the render, no blurring done, only a sky done (had to use filters since working at 4000x3000 in PS freezes up every so often):

>>HIGH RES<< (http://ace4016.tripod.com/) - click link, then right click and save link on page (free web hosting = no remote linking)

Trying to figure out how to get the orange light shining on AAU. C&C welcomed.

3dRaven
05-11-2005, 01:41 PM
Trying to figure out how to get the orange light shining on AAU

Make an orange omni and place it near him, exclude everything but AAU in the lights settings. That ought to help

Nekura
05-11-2005, 08:00 PM
Very nice work on the latest updates. It's coming along well.. :)

I also really like monsitj's paintover.. cool stuff!

Sorry, no suggestions at this time..

DaddyMack
05-11-2005, 09:55 PM
Hey James it's so great to see this coming together so well for you! I think that maybe if you turn the girls head toward us a little so we can get a partial view of her face, the personality of the image will be boosted... Besides, you did such a great job on her face it'd be a shame to waste it...

Good luck mate:thumbsup:

ace4016
05-12-2005, 12:23 AM
3dRaven - Thanks for the tip, didn't even know about that include/exclude; you learn new things everyday.
Nekura - Thanks for the compliments:love: .

DaddyMack - Thanks. I'll try that out. I also had the idea to make her stretch her arm out to AAU....not sure if that will works.

My renders stay between 1:30 and 5:45 minutes now, I miss my 5 second renders:cry: . Well, back to work:wip: .

nemirc
05-12-2005, 12:59 AM
My renders stay between 1:30 and 5:45 minutes now, I miss my 5 second renders:cry: . Well, back to work:wip: .

My renders for the GSO took around 20 minutes :D

Nice work. I like how the atmosphere is looking. I agree with 3draven, the exclude tip should do the trick :thumbsup:

ace4016
05-12-2005, 06:51 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5653/5653_1115877068_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5653/5653_1115877068_large.jpg)

Thanks to the help of Angel, many problems I had before were solved. My scene was way too big (in measurements). AAU was 30 meters tall! And let's just say the base could have been 1000x bigger then AAU:grin: . The scale isn't noticable to you guys/glas though. 4 lights: 3 spot lights, one omni light. Clever lighting setup by Angel, but now my rendertimes stay about 4 minutes. I would have had the sandstorm (fog) up earlier, but the scale of my image was too big to find the right settings. Hm, what am I forgetting?

ace4016
05-12-2005, 07:13 AM
nemirc - Thanks. Umm, you guys do it the hard way, I could just include only one character instead of exclude 100 objects:grin: . Looks like render times are slowly getting longer. Shows you how much real renders I make, these are my longest single frame renders. I'll hold off on that orange light for now, still have to make sure it fits in.

Isn't the helicopter silhouette just great?

What do you guys think so far? I'll add more to the base's buildings, a little destruction from the escape never hurts (when it's a silhouette). Still have to play with Katie's pose. It's late, going to sleep now.

TheFirstAngel
05-12-2005, 07:20 AM
now this looks like a good base for working up your image to a great final entry (just fixed the scales, and glad it helped u!)! Great add on, great progress, keep on rocking James, go go go Snoopy go!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: !

DaddyMack
05-12-2005, 07:25 AM
[QUOTE=ace4016]

now my rendertimes stay about 4 minutes.[QUOTE]

Awww poor James...

Seriously tho mate, that was a massive leap you just made:thumbsup: Just keep heading the way you're going James, it looks to be really coming together from over here;)

May the force be with you

3dRaven
05-12-2005, 03:37 PM
Major update I see. It's looking a lot better now. It has more mood to it..AAU seems less plastic and more real. The sand storm is a nice touch and helps blur out the details.

4 minutes.....:scream:...

mosconariz
05-12-2005, 03:50 PM
Nice tweakings U recieve from heaven my friend!, keep it up rockin' this kewl picture! :buttrock:

Nekura
05-12-2005, 05:14 PM
I like the helicopter's.. you did a very good job on them. Also, I agree that the latest update is a great improvement on everything. Coming along nicely James.. :)

3dRaven
05-12-2005, 06:11 PM
Ace are you going for some fire like Monsit suggested in the paintover?

ace4016
05-12-2005, 06:48 PM
Angel - Big thanks for your help. If you were a girl I'd kiss you.

DaddyMack - Thanks. I hope to improve the image, and finish soon (don't want to catch the challenge deadline rush hour). lol, I know I shouldnt' be complaining about 4 min. renders, they are already up to five, and im sure it keep increasing.

3dRaven - Thanks. AAU's reflection wouldn't have looked as good if it wasn't for the falloff map in the reflection slot. I have to thank Angel for helping me out with that, the scale was just too big before, I've got to take his recommendation and start working at normal scales:D . I wanted to maybe do a light fire on one of the SUV's, smoke has to come from somewhere. Know a quicker method then Allan Mckay's tendril fire?

mosconariz - Thanks. You have a nice image too, and funny concept.

Nekura - Thanks:bounce: . I don't even want to blur the helicopters now, the silhouette it like perfect, imo:scream: .

Well, I added an opacity make to the broken helicopter tail, and put in some wires to amke it look "cool." Don't know if I should add more models to the scene, what do you guys/gals think? I think I will damage the dome since that is where AAU was held/released.

THECLYKE
05-12-2005, 09:07 PM
ADD SOME FIRE MAN.....IT NEEDS A DRAMATIC LIGHT.....MY ADVICE IF YOUR USING MAYA IS TRY A BUNCH OF POINT LIGHTS WITH FOG AROUND THE BROKEN CARS.....
THANKS FOR THE WORDS ON MY 2D THING...GOTTA GET BACK TO WORK.

VIEW MY LASTS POST FOR M&S
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?postid=2273191#post2273191

sl1200
05-13-2005, 12:12 PM
i think.. maybe
if you thicken armer and do material setting of it .
so you can do settings of light more easier.
and looks good.

good luck!!:)

nemirc
05-13-2005, 06:30 PM
ADD SOME FIRE MAN.....IT NEEDS A DRAMATIC LIGHT.....MY ADVICE IF YOUR USING MAYA IS TRY A BUNCH OF POINT LIGHTS WITH FOG AROUND THE BROKEN CARS.....

I have to agree. This would look A LOT better if hell was breaking loose on the background... and also that would make the servant look even more heroic :thumbsup:

I don't know how to do that in MAX but surely there's a way :bounce:

Keep it up :D

ace4016
05-13-2005, 11:11 PM
THE CLYKE - Thanks, trying to get a fire up, working in max. I have two particle solutions and one enviroment solution( like fog, but its a fire effect), I'll try to get one working.

sl1200 - Thanks, I'll try it out.

nemirc - I have many non-plugin solutions, just have to figure out the best one that will be able to render out. Can't use pflow since that takes too long, looks like either max's fire effect or parray will be my options.

I'm trying to finish quickly since I have a bunch of other projects to work on, plus uploading the final tiff will be hell on 56k, and I don't want to do that during cgtalk rush hour. Working on getting an update or two today.

edit: BTW, I don't want to have fire on all four SUVs, so any opinions on which ones should get fire? Smoke with parray doesn't seem to slow my renders down so I'll be adding smoke to those and the base.

ace4016
05-14-2005, 04:57 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5653/5653_1116043032_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5653/5653_1116043032_large.jpg)

Added some fire to two of the SUVs and some smoke to the main building of the base. The smoke is max's parray, the particles are spheres with a material with a smoke map in its opactiy slot and motion blur added (got that from Allan McKay). The fire aren't particles but max's enviroment fire effect. Still playing around with a few things. C&C welcomed

ace4016
05-14-2005, 05:11 AM
Some how my renders (when characters are hidden) went from 3 mins to 1 min when I added particles, strange. I might try to do the fire with parray, but I will surely have to render them seperatly, my second pc fan comes on, which in the 11 months of having was the first time it came on. Parray is a lot faster then pflow, and since I dont need anyhtihng complicated will do fine. Still working on the fire and smoke. Trying to finsih this so I can submit this early morning, uploading that tiff on 56k will be hell. I still feel like somethings missing.

nemirc
05-14-2005, 05:51 AM
Set the whole city on fire! :twisted:

Also... I am having some trouble trying to figure out where the light comes from since the whole sky looks the same (no lighter parts and such). BTW do you think you could add 2 or 3 more "thopters"?

In the meantime, check my animated robot http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?p=2278931#post2278931 :twisted:

ace4016
05-14-2005, 08:00 AM
Set the whole city on fire! :twisted:

Well AAU is that dangerous, I mean, he alone was being sent on a mission to take down an entire rebel city base, and he did destroy those SUVs; BUT he has a little girl with him and had to get out soon, and he had very little help inside the base (the smoke on the main building). I just might move the smoke to the dome instead to fit the story better. Plus, if I light up the base, your eyes will go there instead of the two characters. The sky is temporary, I'll attempt to paint a sky for the skydome that will hold up in the final size, but sunsets usually have just glowing horizons since the sun is...setting. I'll see about adding more copters. And nice animation nemirc, hope to see more of it (AAU can take him though:D ).

makaron
05-14-2005, 08:21 AM
I really like the way you big guy holds the little girl, he looks so gentle and caring, despite his big armour and tough look:applause:

TheFirstAngel
05-14-2005, 09:15 AM
nice little inferno, keep trowing those flames!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: burn em snoopy!

DimitrisLiatsos
05-14-2005, 09:26 AM
The roof ...the roof ..the roof is on fire :bounce:

Step on it :bounce: :)

3dRaven
05-14-2005, 12:39 PM
I'd add in some lit up fog and smoke to the fires...the easiest way would be in post

ace4016
05-14-2005, 06:39 PM
makaron - Thanks, I am glad you see that, one of my goals was fullfilled when you said that:applause: .

Angel - Its getting so hot, my computer needs to tunr on its secon fan:scream: . Hope to finish by monday.

Dimi - lol, I'm picking up the pace, I'll make it.

3dRaven - I think I will add the smoke using another fire effect, but the fog I will probably do in post. Trying to limit me painting on a 4000x3000 canvas, PS likes to get these color strips out of nowhere and you have to close down PS to get rid of them, and I'm not in the habit of saving often in PS:D .

After some smoke and fire and mayeb a redish light off-screen that will glow on AAU, I think I'm done, but I'm not sure; what do you guys/gals think? I don't want to add to much to the scene, I'm afraid it might get cluttered. I'll have an update up soon.

ArtisticVisions
05-14-2005, 08:28 PM
It's coming together nicely, ace. :)

The Mech turned out nicely. However, the girl looks somewhat static; it's hard to tell if she's alive, unconscious, or dead (if she was the latter 2 options, she'd be a bit more limp).

ace4016
05-14-2005, 09:14 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5653/5653_1116101694_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5653/5653_1116101694_large.jpg)

Added some smoke to the fires with max's fire effect and played with the smoke at the base. Still playing with Katie's pose. Other then a tweaking some of the effects, and maybe the lighting, I'm not sure whatelse to do, so I guess that means, I'm almost done?

ace4016
05-14-2005, 09:18 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5653/5653_1116101881_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5653/5653_1116101881_large.jpg)

With Katie's head turned a bit. Any thoughts?

ace4016
05-14-2005, 09:31 PM
ArtisticVisions - Thanks. She's still conscience, nearly slipping out of it. I'll try to work on her pose more, I kind of ignored her for a while.

One more milestone and I'm there. Still a bit of tweaking to do, I'll try to do my best, but I think I can't see some of the problems anymore, either they went away or I've been looking at this for too long. BTW, no post work done on these renders. If I go with the pose of Katie's face showing, I will try to get her mouth open a little, they don't match the closed eyes. I have to read bakc on this thread to see about what I said I would do and chekc it with what i have done. Back to work :wip: .

SoniaNotRed
05-14-2005, 10:02 PM
Hey, ace!

Since you asked, here's an opinion:

The girl is looking a bit stiff and uncaring.
Have her look at something or - if she's really not suppose to be interested in all that's going on - lower her head a bit (chin closer to neck), since the crossed arms suggest she's relaxed
Put the robots hands closer together (I would tell you to rotate his right hand but I see the metal guard prevents that) and bend her knees and waist a bit, lowering her tush (girls behinds tend to be heavy! :D )
The feet also should point a bit down.

You probably won't have time on this contest, but here's a link that might be helpful in future projects. Last time I checked, they had a bit of everything you're doing here:
http://www.3dcafe.com/asp/tut3ds.asp

Good luck!

DaddyMack
05-14-2005, 10:03 PM
Hi James, looking better than ever mate, if I may, I'd suggest her head 'flops' a little, like she's not quite in control... it will add to the feel.. Keep going mate:thumbsup:

arLutiK
05-14-2005, 10:04 PM
James, great work so far, good luck on the final touch

ace4016
05-14-2005, 10:59 PM
SoniaNotRed - lol, thank you for your opinion, I will play with her pose with everyones suggestions in mind. Thank you for the link, I maye use a few things from there if I have time, if not, I will use those tutes on other projects.

DaddyMack - Um, lol, I'll try. Hope I can get her to look more relax. Looks like my little brother is going to be used for a puppet again:twisted: .

arlutik - Thanks. trying to do those final touchs ASAP.

Just might add more helicopters (they are my favortie silhouette:love: ). Hopefully I do everything I said i would do. I'll try to get an update today.

mmoir
05-15-2005, 03:58 AM
Hey James,
I like the background you have added. :thumbsup: The turning of the girls head is a good thing , it works well. I think you feel a connection between the 2 characters with her head turned this way.
Good luck finishing things up.

rattlesnake
05-15-2005, 04:36 AM
Hey mate...i can see that the armor turned out really good ...now i see your idea...and i think is very nice one...i think that maybe the head of the girl need to be turned a bit downwards like affected by gravity...but just a little bit...your work is looking good mate...just keep pushing to the end:)

ace4016
05-15-2005, 05:30 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5653/5653_1116131415_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5653/5653_1116131415_large.jpg)

Been working on Katie's pose. Used my little brother as a refrence. Teh first thing that happened when I told my brother to relax when I picked him up was that his arm furthest from my body hung kind of like Katie's arm is now, so though I should have Katies arm hang, but AAU has MUCH bigger forearms then me so her arm is slightly supported. Also tried to realx her pose. Still working on her pose, I'm not satisfied.

ace4016
05-15-2005, 05:41 AM
mmoir -Thanks, still tweaking their poses, but I'll finsih. I'm more worried about uplaoding then finishing.

rattlesnake - Thanks for your support. I tried to relax her head in this one to allow it to be more affected by gravity. Is it working?

Still working on the pose, trying to make it look natural, and just better looking. After her pose, I may add a red light to AAU and one or two more helicopters and decide if everything is good, then render the final in layers, comp in PS and vioala. I hope that trip will be that easy. I'll try to fix her pose a bit mroe before I go to sleep. Tried to render a 4000x3000 in one single shot but max ran out of memory at the end (only 512mb ram to share between a few apps I should have shut down). C&C welcomed.

userBrian
05-15-2005, 06:10 AM
ace4016-

The work is coming along nicely, but it looks like you don't have shadows turned on. If the girl's body cast a shadow on the robot it would place her more realistically. Also the robot could have a stronger shadow. But I like the smoky mood of the setting.

TheFirstAngel
05-15-2005, 06:11 AM
Wonderfull update Snoop! Love your new flames, katies pose looks much better, maybe bend he back a slight bit, to relax her. :)
keep on rocking mate, your piece gets better and better every time i check! fly snoopy fly!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

DimitrisLiatsos
05-15-2005, 07:32 AM
Last one with hand out is better...now tweak her pose a bit to show her more relaxed in his arms..... :bounce: ...and step on it :)

ace4016
05-15-2005, 07:46 AM
userBrian - Thanks. I'll try to increas the shadows for sure.

Angel - Thanks. I always have trouble with the back, I'll try.

Dimi - Thanks. I didn't like the arms weird stiffness so that will definetlly get worked on. Trying to hurry.

Glad you all like it so far, seems like its a wrap after the tweaks, getting to that point where I'm afraid to touch the image and don't know what would truly add to the piece. The end is near...

blakbird
05-15-2005, 07:57 AM
Best wishes. Keep it up. But there is not much time left. Be in hurry.

abz
05-15-2005, 11:14 AM
must say you are too good!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :applause:

suggestions::
1. showing her other hand hanging from other side might help.
2. her wrist is still not relaxed

great work..
keep it up!!

Best of Luck!!

nemirc
05-15-2005, 06:07 PM
Close the girl's eyes! :bounce:

The pose looks better now. Keep it up and hurry up!

THECLYKE
05-15-2005, 06:58 PM
GREAT JOB MAN.....:applause: HURRY

M&S
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=239415&page=1&pp=15

ace4016
05-15-2005, 09:44 PM
kuzgunoglu - Thanks, I'm triyng to finish soon. Hope you finsih in time too.

abz - Thank you:blush: . The other hand is suppose to be on her stomach, I have to birng the arm over a bit to show it. And I agree, the hanging arm looks too tense, I knew something was wrong with the wrist.

nemirc - lol, I meant to close them more before. The Katie you see there was actually the morph target, but the original's skinning got messed up so used the morph target instead of spend a bunch of hours on a new Katie skinning job.

THE CLYKE - Thanks, I'll try to finish by tonight or early tomorrow. BTW, to make it easier, you could but your thread address in your signature, probably too late but hey.

I'll try to get an update asap:wip: .

ace4016
05-16-2005, 01:10 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5653/5653_1116202209_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5653/5653_1116202209_large.jpg)

Ok, worked on Katies pose, added one extra helicopter, and added a red light that is suppose to be a fireoff screen. Is this it? If so, I'll break this up into different render layers, bring it to PS and out comes the final render with maybe a few tweaks added.

ace4016
05-16-2005, 01:30 AM
Tried to incorporate all your suggestions. Have to fix that skinnig problem on AAU's knee. What do you all think? Is the tush low enough Sonia:D ? I'm using the fire to create a visible fire since the other shadow light isn't creating a stronger shadow, plus it has a bit more mood with the red light (i think). C&C welcomed.

mmoir
05-16-2005, 01:41 AM
James,
I think Katie's pose is alot better then when you started , so I think you did a good job here.:thumbsup: Nice seeing some helicopters in there. Good luck the rest of the way.

ace4016
05-16-2005, 08:28 AM
Thanks Mike. Couldn't see whatelse to fix other then AAU's left knee problem, so i fixed that, then rendered the background at 4096x3072 (31 min). Currently rendering the midground and foreground together now. Anyone have any last suggestions before I comp them together and play around in PS a bit?

Kanga
05-16-2005, 08:12 PM
Like the robot forms very much,... prolly too late but would the girls hair look good hanging a bit?

Keep it going:thumbsup:

nemirc
05-16-2005, 09:11 PM
Dust on the footsteps!

Stupid question. Is the ground asphalt, sand or concrete? It looks very "flat". You must also lit the city on the back. Good luck and I hope you finish on time :twisted:

ace4016
05-16-2005, 09:31 PM
Kanga - Thanks. I don't know if the hair would look good down, but her hair is tucked under her head, and since it's one mesh, don't know if it will hang really.

nemirc - I'll try the dust, but in PS, unless it gets fustrating to me, then I'll attempt it in 3d. It's sand, I forgot to resize the ground, it's suppose to be a bit more wavey. I didnt want the sand beign too hilly since there is a structure near by. A black material with no specularity or glossiness was applied to the building to give it that big dark mysterious feel, and they have no texturing to them and you'll be able to see that at final resolution:D , so all the light in the world wouldn't be able to light the base.

I rendered out the scene in two renders, used the clone tool to fix some of AAU's mesh collisions on his fingers and something sticking out of his head. Might have to render the midground/foreground layer out again though.

rattlesnake
05-16-2005, 09:39 PM
hey mate..the girl is looking better now...i like the idea of the red light ...
i agree about the floor...too flat... maybe u can add some rocks broken from the ground, and all kind of ruins there......keep rocking friend...but faster...lol...cya friend

userBrian
05-16-2005, 09:54 PM
Hi James

I think that fire off screen is a great idea, you could add more warm yellow- orange glow to the robot. This could have some intense color effect.

DaddyMack
05-16-2005, 10:08 PM
Hi James, just wanted to say that it's been great working with you again, here and there;) and good luck with the last couple of steps in what has been an epic journey mate:thumbsup:

Arc80
05-17-2005, 12:36 AM
Thanks for dropping by dude. I really appreciate the support.
Love the mech on your piece and definately a good concept. GOODLUCK on the finish and will be dropping by again to see the final.

cheers :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ace4016
05-17-2005, 12:46 AM
rattlesnake - Thanks. I'll try making it a bit more uneven and adding small broken rocks and peices of the SUVs now. I should be done by late tonight...I hope.

userBrian - I'll try that out, just have to make sure I don't end up drowning things out in the color. I did feel it needed less of a red color.

DaddyMack - Thanks. It's been a good first challenge, I'll surely be abck next one....well hopefully. Just a few more additions and tweaks and I'm there. Your pretty much there too, just keep going.

Arc80 - Thanks for dropping by. Hoping I'll have the final up soon, I'm already starting to feel the traffic just borwsing cgtalk.

I'll add a few things and render out the layers, luckily I don't have to re-render the background, I think. Back to work:wip: .

TheFirstAngel
05-17-2005, 03:56 AM
Hey mate! i suggest to go back to the more contrasted, darker lightsetup. let the eye do the rest, or it will look like a loveless archiviz, your earlier darker setting worked fine for me....
to fake the illusion of big scales, you could add on the backgroundbuildings just a few, very few very tiny windows that make the eye tell its big.
on the ground, try to play with the displacement trick i showed u a bit ago, that will add more levels/layers, that lets your work look complex as well. I really love your work, so dont overbruight the final shot, that would destoy so much of the mood. you might also try max's contrast/brightness settings in your render.
Best of luck my friend and keep on rocking!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: go snoopy go!!!

ace4016
05-17-2005, 03:57 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5653/5653_1116298655_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5653/5653_1116298655_large.jpg)

Rendered two layers, put it in PS, and fixed up a few things.

ace4016
05-17-2005, 04:04 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5653/5653_1116299084_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5653/5653_1116299084_large.jpg)

The result of the comp work.

ace4016
05-17-2005, 04:41 AM
Thanks Angel. I'll try toning the light down. About the tall building having a window, I'll see about that, but don't know if it will show up because of the color. I'll play a bit more with the bump, but I won't make it too hilly, just a tiny bit uneven. I know it would be interesting to see more hills, but whenever I think of buildings in the middle of the desert like this, I always imagined the ground flatter then usual for architecture purposes, not sure if it's actually like that in real life though. If I had more time I would have made AAU walking up a large hill and the base and all farther back and sort of in a valley (I should have thought about that sooner). If maybe I had 3 more days. I'll post one more update, with a few more fixes I guess, then i have to start with uploading since it will take me approximately 1.6 hours or more to finish uploading.

Gunilla
05-17-2005, 06:08 AM
Hi James, well it seems like this is another great thread I've missed throughout the challenge... Great work! I like the clean, comicbook style and the robot model is really nice, wish I had seen it sooner.
Good luck for the final tweaks and for the voting! :thumbsup:

ace4016
05-17-2005, 09:13 AM
Thanks Gunilla. Better late then never. lol, now I really hope I have the final by tomorrow.

I darkened the fire light and made the sand more bumpy. I'll render that out when I wake up, tweak, then it's the final. I have to make sure I have enough time to do the long uplaod of the tiff. Any C&C about the latest image is greatly welcomed.

jddog
05-17-2005, 02:40 PM
I darkened the fire light and made the sand more bumpy.

about sand probably jus a dusty/grain photoshop filter can enanche this out... the smoke of the fire can be a little bit darker... I like this final comp and colors... :wip: near at the end of your work !!!

:applause:
jdd

3dRaven
05-17-2005, 03:20 PM
Nice update Ace looks like you're near the finish line :D The post work keeps getting better. Maybe add some slight blurs to the choppers? So that their rottor seem to be spinning and them their selves moving...

nemirc
05-17-2005, 06:03 PM
M&S CHALLENGE - "MISSION FAILED" by James Marcelin

Si that supposed to be there? :shrug:

ace4016
05-17-2005, 07:56 PM
jddog - Thanks. I'll try darkening the smoke, still have to render out that layer again. I'll also check out the grain filter.

3dRaven - Thanks. Haven't done much in post yet, trying to get the 3d renders as good as I can. I'll have to speed all this up. The helicopters will be blurred. Hopefully I can make it look good.

nemirc - Don't know if I'll leave it there but that's the title of the entry, not sure if that's the final title though. AAU's mission was failed (he didnt die, but she got hurt), I'm finishing this no matter what:twisted: .

I was suppose to finish this yesturday morning, better pick up the pace.

3dRaven
05-18-2005, 12:28 AM
How goes the final James?? Will we see an update today??

Best of luck hope you tweak it to perfection in time

arkinet
05-18-2005, 12:35 AM
Contrast & a lil more atmosphere dude, & you'll be there... you did a great job btw & good luck!!:thumbsup:

ace4016
05-18-2005, 03:07 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5653/5653_1116382047_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5653/5653_1116382047_large.jpg)

1 day, 9 hours, 56 minutes, 43 seconds

Here's the AO Pass. Not sure I did it right. I put this over the regular render, make it s soft light (multiply makes it extremely dark). The results coming up.

ace4016
05-18-2005, 03:10 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5653/5653_1116382230_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5653/5653_1116382230_large.jpg)

The results of the AO pass over the regular render. Shall I go on to the big render and finish?

ace4016
05-18-2005, 03:15 AM
3dRaven - Just got back from the gym, I'm on it again:wip: .

arkinet - Thanks. Not sure how i would up the contrast and add some atmosphere, any ideas?

My eyes have been looking at this for so long, I think this will end soon.

ace4016
05-18-2005, 05:34 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5653/5653_1116390840_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5653/5653_1116390840_large.jpg)

Any last words before I declare this final? I will call this piece "Mission Failed," I think. Now I can see what all of you were talking about with your eyes falling out, if it wasn't for the force I wouldn't be able to type this :p .

ace4016
05-18-2005, 05:39 AM
In about an hour I think I will declare this piece finished. I would spend all eternity fixing this if I don't finally say stop. Have to make sure I have enough time to upload and give room for upload failure. I'll be waiting :wavey: .

userBrian
05-18-2005, 07:06 AM
I think it looks great. The cinnamon tones and fires are nice. Now for the great feeling of relief!
I like the way you've got a great hazy, smokey feeling and a lot of contrast.The light coming from fires below is a cool idea.

ace4016
05-18-2005, 07:49 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5653/5653_1116398943_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5653/5653_1116398943_large.jpg)

This is it guys and gals. It's been a fun one.

:::Title:::
Mission Failed

:::Story:::
The Jovad government has been conquering neighboring nations for the past 10 years. The reach of their empire had finally gotten to the Arkanian nation, a nation known for thier advance technology and military strength. The Arkanians had been putting up a fight for a while, but the Jovadian forces were jsut to powerful. Although the Jovadians defeated the Arkanians, large numbers of Arkanians band together to create a rebel force that stopped the Jovadian forces from continuing on thier conquest of other nations. The Arkanian rebel forces began to gather rebel forces from other Jovad conquered nations to assist in the fight. As punishment to the non-rebel Arkanians, The Jovad government has been oppressing the Arkanian people severely.

The Jovad governemt finally got fed up with the fact that a rebel group was holding them back and started counter strike operation to get rid of all the rebel force. They began kidnapping and forcing Arkanian scientist and engineers to work on weaponry to overpower the Arkanian forces. One of the best Arkanian robotics engineer was most desired by the Javadian military, but he was also one of the hardest to capture. The Jovadian military found out that the engineer had a daughter, who they kidnapped and held captive to force the engineer to work for them. He was lead engineer on the contruction of a robotic super soldier, a warmachine. The engineer planned to get his daughter away from the facility, and use the opportunity of having all the resources available to him and the other scientist to make a weapon strong enough to give the Arkanian rebels an upper hand in the fight against the Jovad. The rest of the scientist and engineers agree, and secretly programmed the robot to obey the engineer's daughter only.

All testing and prototype work was done, and it was time to release the robot, AAU, on its first official mission. He was to be carried off the base, brought to a location near a an old Arkanian city, that was destroyed during the conquest of the Jovad. This area was known for housing a primary rebel force that has been cuasing trouble lately. As AAU was being released, the engineer signaled his daughter to stand next to him, so that he can pick her up and run. The engineer quickly ran to the base gates to shut them after AAU and his daughter escaped. We was successful, but was shot after he closed them. Much of the Jovadian military was locked in the base for enough time to let AAU and the littel girl escape, but some units were able to chase the two. During the fight to get away, AAU came to clsoe to an explosion, and the some debris hit the little girl. AAU successfully stopped the forces that got through, but the little girl was hurt, and he was to close to the base to administor first aid to the little girl. He had to slowly walk away from the scene of the fight with his injured master, knocked out in his arms. Although a robot, he was heart broken: he felt he had failed to protect his beloved master and friend.

jddog
05-18-2005, 08:00 AM
You did it, the final image is here :applause:
Congrats James, I'm happy that you brign to the end this work, really better contrast on last image and I like it :thumbsup:
jdd

ace4016
05-18-2005, 08:05 AM
Thanks Brain and Julien. I've decided to submit the tiff when I wake up later today (it's approximately 3:00 am). There's still time for a few tweaks, apperantly the challenge doesn't end for me 'till May 19th 8:00 am. To be on the safe side I will of course submit it ASAP. I thank everyone who has posted in this thread, whether it was one post of encouragement and compliments, or many post of suggestions. How do you guys find the names of the people that have posted in this thread? Anyways, as my first challenge, this was a great experienced. I think this challenge really did improve my skills in a few areas, just look up the three wips I have posted on cgtalk (horrible, I know). I'lpl be sure to join the next challenge, hope to see you all there too. Any questions (ha!) or suggestions for the future, go right ahead. BTW, I know probably no one will ask this, but AAU's armor was mainly made by shaping a max plane onto the concept sketch of AAU, then pulling it out in the y-axis (z-axis for all you non-maxers) accordinly. The only parts of him not done this way were cylinderical parts (thigh, leg, flex-body arms, and the ab gaurds, everything else started out as a plane). Well, that's it for this post.

abz
05-18-2005, 08:09 AM
congratulations...for accomplishing your mission of making "mission failed"!!
everything...story, title, feel of the image, the girl, AAU, everything is perfect...
:applause: :applause: :applause: .....i couldn't find one for standing applause....
best of luck....
Cheers!!
-::You Rule::-

makaron
05-18-2005, 08:09 AM
hurray :) ya have a really good one here, its seems ya been working hard for it too... I really like the mood... good luck :bounce:

Lemog
05-18-2005, 08:55 AM
Congratulations James for the Final Picture... good job... a particular design, that give us an emotional picture, clean and sensitive... a strong feeling... Bravo James :applause:

3dRaven
05-18-2005, 10:09 AM
Bravo :applause::applause::applause:

Great tweaks near the end friend. You just nailed that last pose :thumbsup:

Great atmosphere and good story (my second read :) )

Uploaded the big tif I presume :D

Virtuoso
05-18-2005, 10:16 AM
Hi james..... Well you did it...you have a final,a finished piece,a big step in any level......You're last steps have been good ones for you're entry here......I wish you the best,and hope to see you continue on this road you are now on,You have a good attitude and a smart working sense,and I think you will get just what you want real soon,this was a very nice step forward for you......good luck,and I hope to see you soon,take care.....:arteest: :beer:

ace4016
05-18-2005, 05:49 PM
abz, makaron, Lemog, 3dRaven, Virtuoso - I'm glad you all like it. I couldn't have done it without you guys and gals. I've learned so much from everyone in here and in other threads too. Going to submit the final tiff now, this is going to take a while.

BTW, do I have to go through all pages to collect the names that have posted in this thread, or is there a list that I can simply get somehow?

3dRaven
05-18-2005, 05:51 PM
James click on the number of replies that should help :D

(on the main 3d challenge page where your entry is)

MDN67
05-18-2005, 05:52 PM
your robot is nice, remember me a japanese manga robot style, good work, and good luck for the end

nemirc
05-18-2005, 06:23 PM
Hey man I am GLAd you finished :bounce:
I love the story and your image too. Even if I didn't enter the challenge I had a good time looking at your entries people. I'll see you next challenge :twisted:

Good luck :buttrock:

Nekura
05-18-2005, 09:52 PM
Congratulations on reaching the end James!! You've made a fine piece here.. excellent work! :applause: :applause: Now, to sit back and have yourself a cold one.. you deserve it! :beer:

Best of luck in all your future endeavors.. :thumbsup:

ace4016
05-19-2005, 04:13 AM
3dRaven - hehe, didn't know that:p .

MDN67 - Thank you. The armor was based off an anime armor (wasn't a robot, but close enough).

nemirc - Thanks, glad I finished to. Hoep you'll have enough time to enter into the next challenge, maybe you'll come out with another cool character to animate.

Nekura - Thanks :beer: :grin: .

I couldn't have finished, or even have gotten the image to look like it does now without the help of you all.

TheFirstAngel
05-19-2005, 06:18 AM
congrats on your final piece my friend! knew you'd do it and you made propably the biggest progress over the place! your piece is filled with passion and dedication, and you sure kicked ass royally! just wonderfull James, you finally kicked it up! u rock, btw. thank you so much for all your help all the time, so best of luck and all my best wishes, I'm so happy you made it!!!

ps:you should et an honoraward for being the greatest snoopy ever!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

UK3D
05-19-2005, 07:23 AM
Hey James,
Good to see you made it through to the end. Hope to see you here again next time round, good luck. :thumbsup:

ace4016
05-19-2005, 08:51 AM
Angel - Thanks. The help I have given you doesn't compare to your help. I hope to keep improving. hehe, an award? I wish! Although it would be nice to get one, especially a best Snoopy award:love: .

UK3D - Thanks. I'll give it my all to be in the next challenge.Finishing these things feels so good.

mosconariz
05-19-2005, 11:34 AM
Congratz Snoopy, great progress you made... continue this way and you'll kick asses really soon :buttrock:

alex.h.
05-19-2005, 01:40 PM
great work snoopy (ace), like it and good luck and see you later mate :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

DaddyMack
05-19-2005, 02:42 PM
U legend James! Congratulations on chasing this right down to the line, you've ended up with a really refined image:thumbsup: Thanks for all the back and forth too mate:buttrock:

ace4016
05-19-2005, 10:10 PM
Mosco - Thanks. I'll be getting better and better at this.

alex.h. - Thanks. Love your fairytale style, hope to see more of your work around.

DaddyMack - It's been really fun. Hope you'll join the next challenge Mr. Teddy Bear fanatic:thumbsup: .

ArtisticVisions
05-20-2005, 02:53 AM
Congratulations for finishing, James; your entry turned out very well indeed.
Hope to see you at the next Challenge. :)

sl1200
05-20-2005, 10:28 AM
congratulations! good job:thumbsup:

thank you for your opinions .and i can finish my first challenge.see you next!!

TheFirstAngel
05-20-2005, 10:41 AM
Haaaaaaaaaaaaappyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy biiiirthdaayyyyyy to youuuuuuuu!
Haaaaaaaaaaaaappyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy biiiirthdaayyyyyy dear Jaaaames!

wishing you all the best and my bestr wishes to you my Friend! may the new year bring you loadsa fun and great success in your way you make towards your targets, may many many dreams fulfill and i wish ya good health and wealth and fast rendertimes :D:beer: :buttrock: :beer: keep on rocking Lord Snoop!

Lemog
05-20-2005, 11:39 AM
Just that for you my friend... and click on the picture for the wallpaper version...

http://lemog.free.fr/MN/bonus/james800.jpg (http://lemog.free.fr/MN/bonus/james1600.jpg)

Nekura
05-20-2005, 09:15 PM
Happy Birthday James!! :D

ace4016
05-20-2005, 11:23 PM
ArticticVisions - Thanks, I'll most likely be in the next challenge.

sl1200 - Thanks. No problem, I enjoy helping others.

Angel - haha, Thanks Angel. Funny is that the ice cream truck was playing that song when I read it in the thread.

Lemog - Thanks. I love the poster:love: , and the beer :beer: .

Nekura - Thank you:D .

blakbird
05-21-2005, 07:13 AM
Good luck friend. By the way wishing the best. And a good life.

bealobo
05-21-2005, 12:54 PM
Hey James!
well done! congratulations on finishing! Good luck!

see you in the next challenge!:thumbsup:

kmest
05-21-2005, 01:55 PM
nice to see it done james....
it looks nice .... see you in the next challenges with more advansed works....wish you best:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Kanga
05-22-2005, 03:22 AM
Also happy birthday! A bit late but well wished.
Congrats on finishing,..... did you get enough beer afterwards?:beer:

ace4016
05-23-2005, 07:57 AM
kuzgunoglu - Thanks you, and I wish you the same.

bealobo -Thank you. Can't wait to see you in the next challenge.

kmest - Thanks you. I'll be sure to show my imporvements.

Kanga - Thanks. I'm not a heavy drinker, someones gotta keep my friends out of trouble :D .

CGTalk Moderation
05-23-2005, 07:57 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.