PDA

View Full Version : Master and Servant 2D Entry: Jason Nieuwendorp

ArtisticVisions
03-22-2005, 01:03 AM
Jason Nieuwendorp has entered the Master and Servant 2D.

Challenge Page (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/masterandservant/view_entries.php?challenger=5650)

Latest Update: Concept Sketch: Personas
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5650/5650_1115261096_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5650/5650_1115261096_large.jpg)

Well, I did promise a concept, didn't I? :D

I do plan on the masks hanging on the wall to be different; I just didn't have time to flesh them out further, so I copied one of the masks just to givce an idea of what the scene looks like; also tried sketching the shadows on the wall (just an idea on the lighting). The left leg didn't turn out too well, but I'll need to look over more pants reference to get a better idea on whats wrong with the wringles.

ArtisticVisions
03-22-2005, 01:06 AM
I had a total blast with the last Challenge, so I'm doing it again. :applause:

Previously, I had entered only the 3D Challenge; however, I really want to improve my 2D art and competing in the 2D Challenge will help me in that area.

Good luck, all. ;)

Tommy Lee
03-22-2005, 01:21 AM
Good Luck and have fun! May the 2d gods with you...:D

Cheerz

Tommy Lee

walrus
03-22-2005, 01:54 AM
Geez, Jason, 2D AND 3D in two months! Wow! Best of luck to you this time 'round!

-mike

ArtisticVisions
03-22-2005, 02:25 AM
Geez, Jason, 2D AND 3D in two months!
Yeah, I know... :rolleyes:

Already brainstorming on several ideas for my entry; there is one idea that this constantly sticking out in my mind for the 2D entry... let's just say it's based on a story I've been working on for a long time and it's a relationship based on love and devotion... ;)

ms@zx
03-22-2005, 02:43 AM
thanks mate and good luck on both the 2d and 3d challenges~:)

ralphmanning
03-22-2005, 03:40 AM
Both! You mush have a lot of free time. Good luck to you…in both. :)

ArtisticVisions
03-22-2005, 04:19 AM
Both! You mush have a lot of free time.
I wish... :rolleyes:
I honestly have no idea if I'll finish both, but I'll do my best. :wip:

spirogyro
03-22-2005, 04:59 AM
That's going to be a lot of work! I wish you the best of luck. I will be watching your thread:thumbsup:

ace4016
03-22-2005, 07:13 AM
2 months for two entries, you can do it. Good luck.

ArtisticVisions
03-22-2005, 03:11 PM
Today, I'm going scanner-hunting (looking for an Epson); if I can't find any in the stores, I'll soon start sketching in Painter or PS instead of sketching on paper and scanning into the computer.

I have the story almost finished; once I get back from the city, I'll post it. :thumbsup:

Kyena
03-22-2005, 03:17 PM
Thank you Jason, good luck to you too :D

ArtisticVisions
03-23-2005, 01:56 AM
Found a scanner today: an Epson Perfection 4180 PHOTO (for the record, I'm never buy HP again); also stopped at Barnes and Nobles bookstore and found the latest issue of Computer Arts magazine and the artbook North Side, by the manga artists Clamp. :thumbsup:

I'll try to post the story later; if not, it'll be up tomarrow. I should have some rough sketchs of it by tomarrow night.

ArtisticVisions
03-24-2005, 04:40 AM
Finished the story (this is based off one of my own "Currently in the Works" storys): :)

A Messiah and her Guardian
In a world long since forgotten, all the nations and kingdoms of Men were faced with a great enemy: The Blackness - wicked, powerful demon monsters brought to life by the evils of men, who sought to wipe humanity off the planet in their total dark. The Church of the Truly Divine, believers in the One God, fortold that this disaster would come and that the saviors of humanity would come in 2 forms: the Children of the Lord - young angels who possessed the power to bring peace to Man's evil ways; and the Archons - neither angel nor devil, these monsterous beings alone had the power to destroy the Blackness.

The Archons, who's purpose was to served and protect the Children, could only be brought to life by a human willing to dedicate his/her life and soul to the Children and God without any regard to his/her own existence (for the Archons and their hosts could not take their place in the heavens).
Naturally, many people refused or would not accept the mantle of Archon.

The first of Children to appear was the young Sophia, only daughter to the One God. Gentle, beautiful, compassionate, loving... she was all of these things and so much more: she became the beloved treasure of the Church. However, no soul would become the first Archon and her guardian...

One day, a young man crossed the Sophia's path by chance outside the Great Cathedral. Named Tobias, he had experience much sadness and pain in his life and no longer desired to go on living; in his eyes, "God" couldn't exist. When Tobias asks who she is (although he had heard of the Archons, he had never seen one of the Children before), Sophia merely smiles, takes his hand, and asks him to walk with her. During this walk, Sophia says nothing, but continues to smile and hold Tobias's hand tightly; naturally, all of this takes Tobias rather aback, but he continues to walk with her.

At the end of their walk, Sophia stops and asks a most bizarre question:

"Would you stay with me... until my time on this world ends?", she asks politely.

"Why are you asking me this?", Tobias returns, rather confused at this point.

Sophia merely smiles and says, "Because I love you".

That was it - no warning, no hestitation, absolutely nothing: merely, "Because I love you". These words startle Tobias, who has never known an individual to be so honest, sincere, and caring. 'Only a soul so pure that she was born of Heaven could be this way', he thinks.

When he asks what she would have of him, Sophia asks, "Will you become my Archon?"

The young man considers the fateful question long and hard. Then, he gets down of his knees and takes the young angel's hand. With Sophia smile radiating through his soul and in a hushed voice, Tobias answers:

"... I accept."

I can already tell that the 2D entry is going to be more of a "Challenge" than working on the 3D entry :rolleyes: ; don't really have any sketchs yet, mainly cause I haven't found any decent reference images yet. God-willing, I'll find something and have some concepts be the end of the week.

Cheers, all. :)

ace4016
03-24-2005, 04:53 AM
Thats a pretty good story, i'd like to see/hear/read the final. Which scene are you going to capture, the "I accpet" or a later scene with Tobias as an archon?

ArtisticVisions
03-24-2005, 04:59 AM
Thats a pretty good story, i'd like to see/hear/read the final. Which scene are you going to capture, the "I accpet" or a later scene with Tobias as an archon?
Sort of a "combination of both"; the scene will depict the "I accept", but will also show parts of Tobias's Archon, Rahab. (I have an idea of how it's going to look, but it's kinda hard to explain exactly how I'm going to depict that in the illustration)

ArtisticVisions
03-25-2005, 02:11 AM
Well, I've hit a rather odd snag in creating my 2D entry, one which came about with doing several character illustrations (mostly sketches on how the characters look, their emotions, etc.).

Basically, I've noticed that my characters take on a shoujo-manga appearance (partly comes from my love of the art of the manga artists group, Clamp).

While I like this style (it's my own personally illustration style), I don't know if this style will do well in the competition. I've noticed that the styles that the Judges and community generally choose have been realistic, "stylized" realistic, or cartoon (haven't seen any anime-inspired winners, but maybe that's cause people think that type of style belongs more at a place DeviantART? :rolleyes: ). Then again, this is a style which I enjoy and I think could do a good illustration in.

I don't know... :shrug:

ace4016
03-25-2005, 03:06 AM
Thats exactly how I felt when my robot sketch turned out looking like a tek-anime robot. But, I say screw all the haters. If thats what came out, keep it. I can't wait to see what your archon looks like.

ArtisticVisions
03-25-2005, 08:41 PM
EDIT, EDIT: I deleted the sketch - it really has nothing to do with my entry anymore.

ArtisticVisions
03-26-2005, 12:06 AM
I've decided that I will go with a more realistic illustration, for several reason:

1. The entry will feature Tobias Archon, Rahab (sort of a "phantom" behind the character); I really want to create a finely detailed version of the creature, which I don't think I'll get with a manga-style.

2. Although I know that "it's your style which is most important"... manga art, I think, has a tendency to be looked down upon as "not really" art and isn't taken as seriously as non-manga art.
I want my entry to invoke an emotional response from viewers.

I'll have to look for better photo reference than what I currently have, but I think this decision will result in a better illustration.

Cheers! :)

ArtisticVisions
03-26-2005, 05:34 PM
EDIT, EDIT: I deleted this image as well - it no longer has anything to do with this entry, so no one really needs to see it. :rolleyes:

NOOB!
03-26-2005, 05:36 PM
hmm i think this decreases ur chances of winning as u have used sumthin u have previously started before the challenge existed.

maybe start sumthin fresh??

ArtisticVisions
03-26-2005, 05:39 PM
hmm i think this decreases ur chances of winning as u have used sumthin u have previously started before the challenge existed.

maybe start sumthin fresh??
As I stated, I don't plan on using the model itself, nor this design: the design will be further refined and should be different.

NOOB!
03-26-2005, 05:45 PM
but then i don't understand why u posted this in the first place,wudn't it make more sense to just post from ur new design?? then the judges wud never know lol.

i'm just trying to help.

gud luck!

ArtisticVisions
03-26-2005, 06:28 PM
'sigh'... Honestly, I don't know I posted it at all.

I guess maybe because at this point, I feel like I haven't accomplished a damn thing. I look around other threads and I see the terrific progress everyones making and I think to myself, "What am I not getting? What am I missing?"
All of a sudden now, I feel like my artistic skill has been completely deteriorated, cause absolutely nothing is working out for me: I sketch out concepts on paper = it looks like crap; I try sketching on the PC = looks even worse; I try using reference shots = nothing. :shrug:

I... I don't know... :sad:

NOOB!
03-26-2005, 06:43 PM
NOOOOOOOOO!! u absolutely must not be discouraged by other participants,do ur own thing.don't be a sheep and follow everyone elses way.

ur forgetting that this challange is only 5 days in,u have till may man!!! the only reason people are getting in early is to get the story idea out the way.

ur at a good posistion cos now u can look around and see what people have and u will have less risk of being a copy cat.

no one has done a religious concept yet,maybe thats sumthin u can look into to.

good luck DO NOT give up.

Virtuoso
03-26-2005, 09:59 PM
Well said Noob..............I agree 100%.....You go with your own flow Jason......Just let it pour out....I'll be looking in,so you grab that bull by the horns and show it who's master......Just go for it strong.....I'll be seeing you soon buddy........:thumbsup:

ArtisticVisions
03-27-2005, 01:26 AM
This afternoon, I was feeling rather depressed - partly cause of the progress that others are making while it seem like I wasn't and because I was unsure of my artistic talent, but it also due to the fact that I had to quit my first freelance webdesign project.
(not that I wanted to quit, but the client wanted me to design an entire site before he decided if he wanted to pay for a site and without signing my design contract :curious: ... as my instructor always said, "If the client refuses to sign a contract which protects both himself/herself and 'you', you're asking to get ripped off" :rolleyes: )

I think I've been looking at this illustration wrong. I've been wasting time on things like the Archon's design and placement, while neglecting the real focus of the image: the relationship between the human Tobias and the angel Sophia.

So Rahab the Archon is out - he will not appear whatsoever in this entry. In addition, this will allow me to focus on the more mythological, 'heavenly' aspects of Sophia without breaking the "One Human" rule of the Challenge (because now Tobias will be the human in servitude to the young angel).
I already have the sketch of the two characters finished (should upload in a few minutes) and will get started on a color rough tonight.

Cheers all, and thanks again. :)

ArtisticVisions
03-27-2005, 01:33 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5650/5650_1111887201_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5650/5650_1111887201_large.jpg)

Forget every post I made between the story concept post and now - they don't matter. THIS is the true start of my entry. :D

A few thoughts before I head off:
1. the legs/knees of the boy need further refining.
2. Clothing isn't necessarily the final version; need to find better reference.

Cheers.

ArtisticVisions
03-27-2005, 03:43 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5650/5650_1111895038_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5650/5650_1111895038_large.jpg)

Just toying around with color; the idea is that the sun is setting, which results in a golden-red scene. (the background would be the Great Cathedral that's in the story - still need to find photo reference for cathedrals, though).

Don't know if this sketch will really be the final sketch that I use. I should try out different perspectives, I guess (looks like I'll need to get some friends to help me shoot some photos for pose reference)

ace4016
03-27-2005, 06:22 AM
Sketch looks pretty good. The perspective is actually exactly how i imagined it. I hope the scene will be radiant and beautiful in the presence of an angel; possibly the cathedral couryard near a water fountain.

Tranchefeux
03-27-2005, 03:26 PM
Hi,
All my encouragement, by contribution with your Sketch I would
enlarge the subject, I think that it is necessary to seek the force
and would concentrate me only on the drawing and would play with the
colors well afterwards,
Good luck for the continuation.

NOOB!
03-27-2005, 03:33 PM
i agree with tranche,focus on the drawing for now,its too early for colour,make a stronger image.

the one u have now needs to be a bit more dynamic.

keep at it man!! we're here to help.

ArtisticVisions
03-27-2005, 03:35 PM
Hi,
All my encouragement, by contribution with your Sketch I would
enlarge the subject, I think that it is necessary to seek the force
and would concentrate me only on the drawing and would play with the
colors well afterwards,
Good luck for the continuation.
Thanks. :)

Yeah, that was something I was looking at this morning. Looking at it now, I think the sketch could work for the final (maybe...), but it just need the figures to be bigger and more focal to the viewers.
(that tends to be one of my problems with sketching: I draw figures either too small that they're no longer the central focus point of the image or they're so big that they take up the entire canvas! :D )

ArtisticVisions
03-27-2005, 09:27 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5650/5650_1111958830_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5650/5650_1111958830_large.jpg)

I resized and cropped the original canvas so that the focal point is now Tobias and Sophia, so I'm starting on the lineart.
Found some excellent photo reference off the web of faces and body types, so I'll start on the faces and anatomy of the characters (clothing... that I haven't been so successful at finding references for. I think I might just have to rely on using my cloths and a mirror, but we'll get to that road when we get there). :D

EDIT: Just a random thought, but I think I'll have his eyes closed instead; also, I realise the nose needs serious work. (nose and ears are one of my weak points :rolleyes: )

ArtisticVisions
03-27-2005, 10:03 PM
Crap, double post!

NOOB!
03-27-2005, 10:07 PM
make that triple post..

yeh fix the nose and ears and it will be great.

ArtisticVisions
03-28-2005, 03:09 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5650/5650_1111979378_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5650/5650_1111979378_large.jpg)

Although the figure will be clothed, I wanted to sketch out the anatomy first just to get the proper placements. The chest/stomach needs to be fixed (maybe the legs need to conect to the body higher up?), as does elbow/forarm, but it's a start.

Tomarrow I start college again, so my time to work on my entries won't be as long as it was this week. However, I've gotten farther along into it than I thought I would, so can't complain. :)

SoniaNotRed
03-30-2005, 09:59 AM
Ow! Dragonlance and CLAMP (RG Veda :drool: )

Great story, man! (So, when is the book coming out?:) )
One crit, though: Tobias body is looking a bit odd - something about the proportions, I think. Do you use any sort of reference?
Good luck (on this one too, brave 5Der!):thumbsup:

ArtisticVisions
03-30-2005, 02:00 PM
Great story, man! (So, when is the book coming out?:) )
I'll let you know when I have a chance to actually write it. :D

As for the body, yeah the anatomy is screwed up at the moment; I'm thinking it's both the upper back/shoulder-blades and the hips/torso area. I'm relying on several books by Burne Hogarth for the anatomy, but I haven't found any decent pose reference for the perspective/angle I want for the character, so I'm mostly guessing using the references I do have.

TheFirstAngel
03-30-2005, 03:29 PM
Your story rox big time, like it lot. The anatomy needs a bit of definition, so makes it much easier then to get the feel for clothes, where stretch n bend- n so on folds appear.
in most cases, its enough to just outline the highest points of a "body" like cylinders or other primitives, and mark the "contactpoints" of them where they influence the fabrics.
i'd bend the back a bit. check my pm, n keep it up mate!

Aethyrprime
04-01-2005, 12:58 AM
Looking good so far man. Keep up those details and it should come together nicely.

ArtisticVisions
04-01-2005, 03:59 AM
Finally been able to finally do some more work on it tonight (in addition to having to finish a website, do a Psych. research paper, and study for my Soc. Midterm, I also had to tutor several of my classmates in Dreamweaver and Web Design this week :rolleyes: ).
However, I'm going to wait to upload it till either tomarrow or Saturday, as I want to finish the anatomy on Sophia; I fixed the pose of Tobias and I think it's better than the previous sketch. (much thanks Sacha, for those Hogarth reference :thumbsup: )

TheFirstAngel
04-01-2005, 11:44 PM
5d. hahaha. damn, someone clone me, so i can send a few of my clones go to work for me :D

hows the progress mate? go go go!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

ArtisticVisions
04-06-2005, 11:28 PM
Sometimes Life isn't content with just handing you lemons - sometimes Life just goes and bashes you over the head with an entire lemon tree. :banghead:

In my case, that "lemon tree" was a series of Migraine headaches which started earlier this weekend (I still have it, so I'll be quick about this and be back to bed). Because of them, work on my entries has been slow :sad: ; expect to see updates sometime over the weekend (I hope...).

SoniaNotRed
04-07-2005, 04:10 PM
Sorry to hear about your headaches.:sad:
I hope you're feeling better now.

ArtisticVisions
04-11-2005, 12:39 AM
It seems like every time I want sit down and do some work on this, another thing comes up that I have to finish first :rolleyes: : the new things being having to prepare for a speech on Monday (cause I missed most of last week), a new website assignment, and trying to tutor several classmates in web design (when they still don't get the concepts behind it :curious: ).

Man, this is really starting to tick me off. I swore to myself that I would finish my entries, but now... 'sigh' I don't know.
Do I think I'll be able to finish both in time? No, I doubt it...
But I'll be damned if I don't finish one of them on time. ;) (I can always finish the other after the Challenge, when I'll have more time)

So then, I guess my question becomes:
Which entry do I focus most of my attention on? :shrug:

ace4016
04-11-2005, 01:39 AM

So then, I guess my question becomes:
Which entry do I focus most of my attention on? :shrug:

Hm, if you ask me, the one you want to improve on the most. Web design is pretty easy, but I guess not everyone thinks like that, huh. Hope everything works out for you.

ArtisticVisions
04-15-2005, 02:06 AM
Hey all... I'm sticking with finishing the 2D entry. ;)

Don't get me wrong, I love working in 3D (I could do it all day... if I had the time :shrug: ), but I decided on completing the 2D Challenge for a few reasons:

1. I need to improve my 2D skills and my illustration skills, if I plan on making it as a graphic designer (which is what I'm currently studying to be).

2. Lately, I've been inspired and influenced a lot by several of the great digital artists that are here in the community: honestly... I really want to become as skilled as they are.

3. Personally, I think my concept/story for the 2D entry is much stronger than my 3D; I really don't want people questioning who the Master/Servant is. :rolleyes:

4. Till recently, I had forgotten how much I enjoy drawing/sketching. :)

So yep, I'll be working on the 2D entry. If I get time after I finish it, I'll work on the 3D entry (but I kinda doubt it); still, I do plan on finishing the "Knight" concept sometime during the summer, so it's not like I'm completely giving up on it.

Cheers. :)

ace4016: You'd think that, wouldn't ya? :D
Most of the problem that they're having is understanding the concept that designing a website begins on paper and planning/designing the site (in other words, not sitting down in front of Photoshop and playing till you come up with a cool design :rolleyes: ).

ace4016
04-15-2005, 04:08 AM
Glad your planning to complete atleast one entry. I liked this concept better (mainly becaus of the better/more interesting story), glad you picked this one (the knight one was still pretty good though).

ace4016: You'd think that, wouldn't ya? :D
Most of the problem that they're having is understanding the concept that designing a website begins on paper and planning/designing the site (in other words, not sitting down in front of Photoshop and playing till you come up with a cool design :rolleyes: ).

I remember so many kids in a web design class I took had that same problem. Not to mention a few noobs to just about everything do the same: they don't plan and just rush into whatever they do, only for it to fail miserably. Just to tie it into the challenge....I guess thats why they make us submit a concept:wise: . lol, hope you'll have time to tend to this entry, the finished entry would be great for art of the book (if you ever get time to write it).

Enayla
04-15-2005, 03:02 PM
Bah! Nothing to be ashamed of here. I read through your concept and I find it quite enchanting - excellently written and very intriguing. I'd love to see some interesting designs on Sophia to put her apart from ordinary angels (in other words, just a robe and wings is a little cliché - but can be handled wonderfully if there's something unique added. Perhaps designs on the robes, or patterns of beautiful things climbing up the wings towards the tips?)

Anyway, looking forward to seeing an update - good luck! :]

ArtisticVisions
04-17-2005, 04:29 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5650/5650_1113708586_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5650/5650_1113708586_large.jpg)

Why I bothered going straight into sketching the final comp previously (the last few Milestone posts I made) without doing character concept sketches is beyond me, but I'm going back to it - sketching out ideas for Tobias's and Sophia's designs.

This is just an concept for Tobias's facial features and hair style; I'm also work on one or two sketchs of Sophia (which I'll post later tomarrow). :)

Also working on several body/clothing sketches of both characters, but it's hard finding just the right "fashion" - clothing has never been a strong area in my drawing (it's never been exactly important in my sketching till now... God, I sound like such a male! :D )

vampeta
04-17-2005, 10:46 PM
Hi Jason,

I´m sad to hear about you quitting from the 3D part.
But i wish you the best for the 2D.

Kepp on rocking :buttrock: & and thanks 4 your great support.:bounce:
Alex

Virtuoso
04-18-2005, 09:50 AM
Hi Jason......Now that turned out real nice.......A very gentle face,pleasant.....not an easy thing to convey in any form......and you did it.......keep this coming just as you are.....this will turn out really nice....I'll be watching.and wish you the best as you continue here in 2D.......keep fighting the good fight,like us all.......The face here turned out very nice,and I hope to see the entire concept turn out just as well........I'll be seeing you as you update......You do know we share the same birthdate....right.....we got to stick together Brother.......:arteest: :beer:

ace4016
04-18-2005, 12:07 PM
Nice going on Tobias' face; it seems to fit perfectly. Good luck with designing the clothes, thats a toughy (how about baggy brown pants, black boots, a white shirt and a brown vest that matches the pants.....mmm that might be a bit cliche). Linda had some good tips on making Sophia more unique then the cliche, hope you find a way to make Sophia stand out above all the other angels.

SoniaNotRed
04-22-2005, 12:16 AM
Hey, he's cute! Too young for me, though... hehe! :D
I'm curious to see how Sophia looks like.
Keep it up!:thumbsup:

ArtisticVisions
04-23-2005, 11:50 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5650/5650_1114296602_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5650/5650_1114296602_large.jpg)

God, I gotta stop saying when my next update will be; it seems to jinx me every time. :{

Anyways... I'm not dead on this, just been busy as hell. I had been working on a pencil sketch of Sophia, but I could never get the details to be just right.
So, I scanned the base sketch (mostly an outline of the head) and instead started painting it out in Photoshop (using both the initial sketch and photo reference); this will also be good practice for the final painting.

Less than 4 weeks left... I'll be crossing my fingers on finishing this one on time! :)

ArtisticVisions
04-24-2005, 12:34 AM
Just wanted to say "thank you" to all of you who took the time to look at my entry; I always see so many great artists here, sometimes I think my own work isn't worth commenting on or being seen by others :sad: . So thanks. :)

Enayla: I am both honored (and slightly horrified :argh: ) that you took the time to look over my thread. Thank you. :)
I should maybe explain a bit about the Sophia or even the Children in general.
The Children (shorten their title) are of human appearence; it is their physical traits which set them apart. Each Child has pale "cream" skin with platinum-silver hair and amber eyes. Their "wings", for the most part, don't physically exist as part of their anatomy; only at the moment when an individual decides to commit his/her body and soul as an Archon to the Children, then they can "see" the wings (which is why Sophia's wings are visible in the planned illustration, as Tobias is choosing to be her Archon).

ace4016: Yeah, that idea is kinda cliche, but thanks anyways! :D
I'm still working on the clothing designs, but I'm slowly getting there.

SoniaNotRed, Virtuoso, vampeta: Thanks guys. :)

Aethyrprime
04-24-2005, 09:29 PM
Nice details on the eyes especially Jason.. keep at it..

ArtisticVisions
04-25-2005, 03:24 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5650/5650_1114395854_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5650/5650_1114395854_large.jpg)

Would've liked to have shown an update with her hair, but every time I try to paint it, it turns out kinda crappy - so I'm uploading my current WIP of Sophia, my young angel. :)

I'm fairly happy with the way the lips turned out (they've sorta been one of my drawing "banes" in the past); not too sure about her eyebrows, though.

TheFirstAngel
04-25-2005, 06:09 AM
Just keep it up mate. a tip for the hair, work from bacside up forwrds, imagine like in cg, just paint in strains, then, on a sharper, closer area, start define specular parts, single hairs. and takes your time. good hair is tricky. :) keep it up my friend.

xric7
04-25-2005, 03:10 PM
nice work.:thumbsup:

good luck.

SoniaNotRed
04-29-2005, 03:12 PM
I only have one sugestion at this point - no pink in the outer corners of the eyes.
If you want to add more detail to them, paint the thin contour of the lower lids (between the lashes and the eyeball). Unless, of course, you mean to have her wearing makeup. :)

ArtisticVisions
04-30-2005, 05:18 PM
Sorry for lack of updates to this :sad: . The start of the week was rather hectic - and then, something interesting occured. I took some time to think it over, thought it out seriously, and I decided... to change the concept of my entry.

Now don't get me wrong, I love the story that was going to be my 2D entry (which is why I've recently started to write it out :) ) and I know time is running out for the Challenge (hopefully, the next one will be 3 months and not 2), but there were several important reasons why I decided not to use it:

1. For this story, I really wanted to develop my own artistic style for the illustrations that I plan to do from it; as of yet, however, I haven't been able to work out the "right" style for this story yet (when it's ready, I'll start work on the planned illustrations then).

2. Something that was bugging ever since I started the 2D Challenge was the fact that the concept behind it wasn't "original". I mean, it was in the sense that no one had ever heard of it (and also because I hadn't work out how Sophia and Tobias met in the story at that point), but for the CG Challenges, I kinda feel like the concepts need to be specifically created for the Challenge (like I had done initially with my 3D entry).

I'm currently working on a sketch of the new concept (it's about half finished) and will post it later today (after I get some other work done). I'll leave you with the thoughts I had when I started work on this new entry:

Every time we encounter another person, be it a stranger, friend, hated foe, or loved one... we wear a Mask. These Masks hide our true selves, showing only what we want the other individual to see; the Masks may sometimes carry only a fragment of our persona, while at other times they are the opposite of our personality which we use to protect ourselves from others. However, with each new identity we take on a part of our true Self is lost, replaced by the persona of the Mask. At what point does the Mask forsake it's servitude and become our true Self? At what point do we become a servant to our false identities?
:)

ace4016
05-03-2005, 11:29 PM
Well, I understand you completely with reason number 1. There are like 3-4 stories of mine that are best told visually/vocally, but at the skill I'm at right now, there's no way I will produce the work to show it now, wouldn't do the work justice (plus I am trying to find a style of my own:grin: ). I think everyone can relate to your new concept. Hehe, thought you weren't going to make a date for your next update since it jinxs you. Hope you finish something for the contest. Waiting for that 3 day late update.

TheFirstAngel
05-04-2005, 06:29 AM
know, whatever you done or went trough was required to become who you are or what you're capable of to do. whatever you learned while painted will help you now to burst your speed. Best of luck and wishes on your restart. looking forward to your new concept. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ArtisticVisions
05-04-2005, 02:24 PM
Incredibly sorry for no updates :sad: : appearently God remembered my promise not to give dates on when to expect new work, cause he struck me down with a migraine (2 in 3 weeks... that's not a good sign for me :curious: ) followed by being without power for 1-2 days. :banghead:
I'm at school right now, so I can't update yet; I'll do it when I get home, though (the concept sketch is finished, so no worries there :D ).

Just a little more info on my new concept:
1. For those of you who ever took Psychology class, yes, I was inspired by Jung and his theories of Archetypes and Personas (which we're finally getting into - less than 3 weeks of school and now we're into the good stuff? :shrug: )
2. For this illustration, I'm approching it more from a "design" technique and perspective rather than a "painting" style. I'm also considering to use one of my stronger areas in digital art for this Challenge, but one I forgot about till now: Texturing. :)

ArtisticVisions
05-05-2005, 03:44 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5650/5650_1115261096_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/8/5650/5650_1115261096_large.jpg)

Well, I did promise a concept, didn't I? :D

I do plan on the masks hanging on the wall to be different, I just didn't have time to flesh them out further so I copied one of the masks just to givce an idea of what the scene looks like; also tried sketching the shadows on the wall (just an idea on the lighting). The left leg didn't turn out too well, but I'll need to look over more pants reference to get a better idea on whats wrong with the wringles.

Djampa
05-05-2005, 08:55 PM
Nice work really, keep moving.
I would increase the stance by opening more the right leg, stetically will give more dramatic effect.

Good work, good luck,

ace4016
05-10-2005, 11:43 PM
With all the happy birthdays in Michael's thread, I just remembered he said you share his birthday, so...HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!!! Not sure if you'll have time to finish, but keep trying, its not over 'till the fat lady sings (next week).

ArtisticVisions
05-11-2005, 12:56 AM
Thanks for that, ace. :)

Sadly, I think the Fat Lady has sung for me. :sad: I really don't think I'm going to be able to finish simply because I don't have enough free time: I need to work on final projects, study for finals, tutor people more in web design (which I'm about to claw my eyes out from doing :surprised ), and help a few of my classmates get ready for the Design Portfolio Show.

The only time I can really plan on possibly doing any work on it is on Saturday and even then I don't know that for sure (really doubt I could get a full illustration done in 1 day and have it look "good" :shrug: ).

I don't know how this is going to turn out (never really know with these things), but in case I don't finish (which is seriously going to depress the heck out of me if it does), I just want those of you who took the time to visit my thread to know that it's been much fun and I greatly appreciate your thoughts and comments; I do plan on continuing these projects that I started/developed for this Challenge (although they may take on a different form).

Thanks all. :)

TheFirstAngel
05-17-2005, 03:50 AM
Come on mate! you can't give up without a fight! just keep on going, still 2 day 2 nights and many many strokes in front of you! Go Jason go, i know you can at least try it! best of luck my Friend!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

ArtisticVisions
05-17-2005, 02:21 PM
the1st_angel: Thanks, I appreciate that. :)

Unfortunately, I really don't have time anymore. For next two days, I'm completely booked in terms of freetime (I've even tried doing some work on it at midnight, but I found out that lack of sleep doesn't help me at all :sad: ); when I'm not working on my own projects for class, I have to help others cause I'm a tutor (I never understand how some people just put off doing their work till the last minute... then they're in a total panic to get things done :shrug: ). The only day that I could plan on working on my entry is on Thursday night, which is after the Challenge deadline.

This was a terrific Challenge (great theme) and I did have a lot of fun participating in it when I could (it really took my mind off the boredom of college); while I couldn't finish an entry in time (which does disappoint me, I admit), I did get a few interesting project concepts out of it and had the pleasure of meeting many interesting individuals this time around. :)

TheFirstAngel
05-21-2005, 10:10 PM
Hey my friend!

I look forward to your finnish in the WIP section. i really dig your story and it would be a shame if you didnt make that great piece of it your efforts promise.

even thought time worked against us, there'll be new challenges and a new chance to show your skills. see it like i do. it was a great time to do a great work and in my case, i improved, met great old and new friends and for sure the time comes the crew joins back again for a new run, so all you done here was great. keep on it!

Just keep on rocking, and if you take up your work on it again, notify me, so i can keep up with your progress and we meet again in the wip's. c ya there my friend and heads up.

greets n all the best,

CGTalk Moderation
05-21-2005, 10:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.