PDA

View Full Version : curve on surface

iatepaste
09-24-2002, 06:47 AM
Anyone have any info on the best way to simulate something similiar to Maya's curve on surface tool? I need to have a rope like object flow around a spherical surface (actually a face). In the past I've copied pts, created a curve, and extruded geom but this time I'm not getting the control I'd like.

I'd appreciate any info.

/devin

Lizard Head
09-24-2002, 07:04 AM
The old fashioned way I always did something like that with my Old DOS 3d studio and with LW 5.6 is to bring my object ( in your case the Sphere) into the layout modual and animate an object (In LW, a NULL) ,,the animation path would become the length of rope,, the path the animation took would then be brought back into modeler and a shape lofted along that path. to create a tube or robe or what ever.

Adios
Lizard*

Eugeny
09-24-2002, 07:06 AM
To simulate Curve on surface use Drill tool. Make some curve on background layer, position your object on foreground, make drill with Slice setting (Core and Tunnel - like curve on surface + Trim command). After that select the new points and make curve. Use this curve for Rail extrude. U can find useful to delete some unnecessary points of curve (but don't delete points of object - i'll recommend u cut / paste that new curve to other layer or even work with copy of your object for Drill)
Good luck.

iatepaste
09-24-2002, 07:13 AM
Seems that using the drill tool is the answer (this go round). I had to freeze a lower sub-d'ed object first but it all worked fine. Thanks!!! I hope to show the efforts soon.

Devin

Kaiser_Sose
09-24-2002, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by Eugeny
To simulate Curve on surface use Drill tool. Make some curve on background layer, position your object on foreground, make drill with Slice setting (Core and Tunnel - like curve on surface + Trim command). After that select the new points and make curve. Use this curve for Rail extrude. U can find useful to delete some unnecessary points of curve (but don't delete points of object - i'll recommend u cut / paste that new curve to other layer or even work with copy of your object for Drill)
Good luck.

Sonds interesting ... to bad I can not picture it

Eugeny
09-24-2002, 11:20 AM
Ok here the pic of process.
1. Make some curve on background layer.
2. Make Drill using Slice mode.
3. Select newly created points (from Drill).
4. Make Curve and cut / paste this curve to another layer.
5. Make some cross section for rope (or that ever) and position him near the start (ribbon point) of curve.
6. Make Rail Extrude.

CIM
09-24-2002, 12:20 PM
You could also use KO Pointfit. Just set it to Fit mode with a somewhat low Magnet value. It should work.

proton
09-24-2002, 01:50 PM
Eugeny -

You have so many potential tutorials....Maybe some of your time will be free to create some in the near future.....You Rock!

:buttrock:

Eugeny
09-24-2002, 01:56 PM
Thanx :) but not now (i'm near the dead line)...

proton
09-24-2002, 01:59 PM
I can wait...I'm a patient guy...but I will probably still bug the hell out of you :D

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.