PDA

View Full Version : Master and Servant 3D Entry: Jason Nieuwendorp

ArtisticVisions
03-22-2005, 01:02 AM
Jason Nieuwendorp has entered the Master and Servant 3D.

Challenge Page (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/masterandservant/view_entries.php?challenger=5647)

Latest Update: Modeling: Knight modeling: ...still on the face/head
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5647/5647_1112573250_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5647/5647_1112573250_large.jpg)

A few random thoughts as I post this:

1. I've gotten slow at modeling (shows what happens when you're away from it for 2 months, I guess).

2. As soon as I save up enough money, I'm buying Z-Brush ;) (after seeing all the amazing work that people are doing with it for this Challenge, I am blown away by the software)

3. Writing a Article Review research paper for a college Psychology class takes up all your time and is a total pain in the A$$! :P

ArtisticVisions
03-22-2005, 01:04 AM
Yep, I'm back for the Challenge. Good luck and Godspeed, all. ;)

Shaykai
03-22-2005, 01:06 AM
Goodluck to you as well :)

ace4016
03-22-2005, 01:17 AM
Good luck.

ArtisticVisions
03-22-2005, 02:28 AM
Already working on a few concepts for this (unfortunately, my scanner offically crapped out on me yesterday, so it'll be a few days/a week till I get my concept sketchs online).

For my 2D entry, I've decided to do a Master & Servant relationship based on love... I think for my 3D entry, it'll be either hate or fear... ;)

mmoir
03-22-2005, 02:51 AM
Hey Jason,

Nice to see you here again, good luck . Doing both the 2d and 3d are you, well you are going to be busy. Look forward to what you come up with.
Mike

TheFirstAngel
03-22-2005, 02:55 AM
Subscribed. :) Good luck to you and looking i'm forward to this. now rock it!

Kid-Mesh
03-22-2005, 03:40 AM
Good luck Jason and the best of luck to you!

Climax
03-22-2005, 04:01 AM
• Glad to see u here Jason! :thumbsup:, Good luck and Get to work! :bounce:

ArtisticVisions
03-22-2005, 04:15 AM
Half hour ago, I had a vision of an old man holding a blade to the neck of a young boy saying, "I own you"... :eek:
From that image came the story for my 3D Challenge:

The Knight and the Squire
Long ago, a kingdom in the constant throes of war and battle; to maintain the supply of soliders in its armies, it was decreed that all first-born sons of every family (Noble and Common) was to be given to the Kingdom to be trained as elite soldiers from the age of 10 . However, unlike the commoners (who's sons were simply give to the army), Noble sons were sent to a master warrior to be trained - he was the Knight.

On the first day of training, the Noble boys were taken directly to the Knight for the first training. The master warrior would always select the strongest-looking boy from the unit, give him a wooden sword, and tell him to come at him with intent to kill. This boy, feeling mightly important, would attempt to strike the Knight... only to be sent flying to the ground with one swipe of the old man's steel sword, his own sword in pieces and a nasty cut down his right arm.

As the boy started to cry from the pain of his injuries, the Knight quickly rushs in and aims the sword's blade at the boy's neck - stopping an inch before the deadly weapon pierces his skin. In an deadly calm voice and an icy stare, he says:

"You don't cry till I tell you to cry. You don't move till I tell you to move. You don't eat till I tell you to eat. You don't rest till I tell you to rest. You are nothing until I tell you otherwise. Everything you do from this day forward is decided by me.
... From this moment on, you belong to me..."

EDIT: removed the whole "branding with Knight's mark/standing in the sun without food or rest"; these boys need to be carefree, with no idea on what to expect... only for the Knight to scare the bejeezus outta them! :D

ace4016
03-22-2005, 04:36 AM
lol, wow, its a very vivid concept, good luck on bringing it out.

arturro
03-22-2005, 08:48 AM
heh, hi there! I like the story, hope to see some sketches soon:)

theuni
03-22-2005, 09:32 AM
Hi,

nice to see you again in this battle... good luck...

monsitj
03-22-2005, 09:58 AM
hi! good job for the story so far! good luck and have fun!

Shaykai
03-22-2005, 10:02 AM
Good story so far jason :) I look forward to some concept art :)

Shaykai

scorpier
03-22-2005, 10:10 AM
thats something in the line of what I was thinking :twisted:

oh, well. back to idea-mumbling then.

Good luck with the submitting!
(subscribed)

ArtisticVisions
03-22-2005, 02:48 PM
Today, I'm going scanner-hunting (looking for an Epson); if I can't find any in the stores, I'll soon start sketching in Painter or PS instead of sketching on paper and scanning into the computer.

Virtuoso
03-22-2005, 09:57 PM
Back for more I see Jason........Well good for you.Hope you get all the creative juices flowing just the right way,and hope to see some real nice creative art along with it........I wish you the best and a whole lot of luck as you move forward........I'll be looking for your progress......:arteest:

ArtisticVisions
03-23-2005, 01:59 AM
Found a scanner today: an Epson Perfection 4180 PHOTO (for the record, I'm never buy HP again).

I should have some rough sketchs by tomarrow night.

angel
03-23-2005, 08:47 PM
Hi Jason, you are going to be quite busy with 2 entries!
cool story, Good luck!

ArtisticVisions
03-23-2005, 08:54 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5647/5647_1111611284_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5647/5647_1111611284_large.jpg)

Decided to get a start on concepting the Knight; really want to give him a predatory appearance, like a bird of prey. (loose inspiration came from Peter Fendrik's excellent "hawkish" Col. S. Bird illustration)

I think I'm going to go for a semi-realistic style for this entry; complete photorealism is kinda a pain to me, as I think it sometimes lacks character and emotional depth(maybe it's just me?)

JHarford
03-23-2005, 10:25 PM
Hi Jason. Best of luck in the comp. Glad to see your getting stuck in there right away.

Virtuoso
03-23-2005, 10:28 PM
I agree with you Jason.......I think a realistic toon or semi reaslistic caricatute type would be a nice way to go......alot of emotion in the face or geatures,posture too wil be vital.......Keep it churning.....:arteest:

ihamid
03-25-2005, 12:19 AM
hullo jason ....back again i see with 3+2ds:) ! thats heluva nice story.... concepts are coming up good....a like the path of style u ran for the image :thumbsup: !

overcontrast
03-25-2005, 03:27 AM
gr888 idea pal!!.... this is gonna b one hell of M&S scene!... cant wait to c more drawings....so keep updating!! :thumbsup:

ArtisticVisions
03-27-2005, 05:34 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5647/5647_1111944858_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5647/5647_1111944858_large.jpg)

Just a front sketch of the Knight, that I can use to get started modeling the head. (I'll be using an anatomy book for the body)

Versiden
03-27-2005, 09:57 PM
hiya, back in for another challenge eh? .. weclome and goodluck

push the limits.. the face sketches look cool.. but he's garments doesn't suggest so.

l8z

ArtisticVisions
03-27-2005, 10:14 PM
push the limits.. the face sketches look cool.. but he's garments doesn't suggest so.

Clothing and garments have never been one of my strongest points; I had thought I'd learn more in college, specifically with the figure-drawing class, but my instructor never got into it (he was more interested in making us draw glass bottles and the same naked fat woman for 4 months :rolleyes: ).
Since this is a Medival Ages-inspired entry, I've been looking for Medival clothing reference, but all I've been able to find for reference is the characters from the anime Berserk (although that show has given me several ideas on what direction to take my characters clothing).

blackdragoncg
03-28-2005, 11:30 AM
Hey Jason, Good luck bringing your character to 3D.....He looks like he has a fair amount of hair to create good luck with that eh.... Bring on the updates! l8r dude:thumbsup:

Shaykai
03-28-2005, 02:20 PM
Hey jason, I really like the hawk like features you have in your main characters face. I also really like the mustash, it gives him personality in my opinion :) Not too much to critique so far since I like what you have and can't see anything i would change. I look forward to this character being brought into 3d :)

Shaykai

SoniaNotRed
03-28-2005, 05:02 PM
Hello!

Nasty "sargent" you've got there!:) (Ever read "Brothers in Arms" by Margaret Weis?)
Here, try this link for the clothes:
http://www.siue.edu/COSTUMES/TEXT_INDEX.HTML

I haven't checked much of it yet but it looks good.

Good luck!

gra7
03-28-2005, 05:06 PM
great sketch jason..

medieval soldier style.. hehehe
c ya ! :thumbsup:

ArtisticVisions
03-28-2005, 11:54 PM
blackdragoncg, Shaykai, SoniaNotRed, gra7: Thanks for the support, guys. :)

With luck, I'll be able to start modeling the head later in the week (both my Web Design "feelings" site and Psych. research paper are due next week Monday, so I need to get those two things done first :rolleyes: )

Sonia: Mucho thanks for the link; some interesting concepts and ideas forming from seeing that. As for your question, I've been a HUGE Dragonlance and Raistlin Majere fan for years and I have read Brothers in Arms. :)

Aethyrprime
03-29-2005, 03:16 PM
Nicely put story. Very well done. It will be fun seeing you develop your characters. GL.

Claireabella
03-30-2005, 06:56 AM
Hi Jason. Looking forward to seeing your WIP. Good luck. :) Claireabella

ArtisticVisions
04-02-2005, 05:05 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5647/5647_1112461552_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5647/5647_1112461552_large.jpg)

I finally had time to start modeling the Knight (like just this morning); never realized till now just how long it's been since I modeled anything. :shrug:

The eyes/eyelids look kinda off at the moment, but I'll take care of that soon; I can't tell if the face looks kinda "flat", but maybe that'll change once I get more form to it.

ArtisticVisions
04-04-2005, 01:07 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5647/5647_1112573250_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/5647/5647_1112573250_large.jpg)

A few random thoughts as I post this:

1. I've gotten slow at modeling (shows what happens when you're away from it for 2 months, I guess).

2. As soon as I save up enough money, I'm buying Z-Brush ;) (after seeing all the amazing work that people are doing with it for this Challenge, I am blown away by the software)

3. Writing a Article Review research paper for a college Psychology class takes up all your time and is a total pain in the A$$! :P

Virtuoso
04-04-2005, 01:24 AM
Jason.......It's good to continue as you are....And when you do get into Zbrush it will add to the app of your choice,,,a nice compliment to your current tools.....

I am for example creating my brute with max and Zbrush for those added extras....My Rudes will be create dright from Zpheres in Zbrush...then mixed with Maya....I am going for a lot of experimentation....let me know when you get into brush.....Until then keep hammering away....the start is well done...:arteest:

Micro26
04-04-2005, 01:31 AM
i liked the masters look, its really aggresive.:thumbsup:
go on go on

Tranchefeux
04-04-2005, 12:44 PM
Hi, All my encouragement for your project, I waits to see the
continuation, good luck.

ace4016
04-04-2005, 01:22 PM
Finally! Looks like the face is kind of flat, especially the forehead. The eyeborws look a bit too straight too. I don't know if its a style thing, but the lips look a bit small. Nice start on the head, and I feel you on the papers, can't wait until next year when its all engineering classes (no writing, yay). Hope you find more time to work on the entry, and also hope you get back in the groove of modeling.

Shaykai
04-04-2005, 06:23 PM
I agree with everyone else that the face seems a little too flat. Round it up and it should be pretty good. :) Looking forward to more progress on this!

Shaykai

Climax
04-06-2005, 06:55 PM
• Hi Jason, this problem is tipic when u use this modeling technic, you should use an object that has the shape of the head as reference, because if u try to round the face after it is finished it will be much more dificult, Keep it up mate, and whish u luck with your other projects! :thumbsup:

ArtisticVisions
04-06-2005, 11:26 PM
Sometimes Life isn't content with just handing you lemons - sometimes Life just goes and bashes you over the head with an entire lemon tree. :banghead:

In my case, that "lemon tree" was a series of Migraine headaches which started earlier this weekend (I still have it, so I'll be quick about this and be back to bed). Because of them, work on my entries has been slow :sad: ; expect to see updates sometime over the weekend (I hope...).

Climax: Thanks for the heads-up; I'm wondering now if maybe I should try Spline-modeling for this project. Any thoughts? :shrug:

vampeta
04-08-2005, 07:02 AM
I'm wondering now if maybe I should try Spline-modeling for this project. Any thoughts? :shrug:

Nice Work! I love the striking look of the Face.

Hmm spline modeling is a good kind of Modeling technique. My personal favorite is modeling out of a box, and then mesh-smothing.
Or like Michael said. ...when you get into zbrush.....Until then keep hammering away :thumbsup: Zbrush is awesome, the ultimate tool to model heads.

Nethertheless your work is very great so far, keep on Modeling!:thumbsup::)

ace4016
04-08-2005, 03:18 PM
When I first modeled I modeled I modeled with splines. Even though I dont use them now (for the time being), I think they are a lot quicker then poly modeling, just more diffucult to handle/understand/etc. If you're good at spline modeling, and pretty fast, I say go for it. Hope to see an update soon, although I know how college wokr can consume your time quickly.

ArtisticVisions
04-11-2005, 12:41 AM
It seems like every time I want sit down and do some work on this, another thing comes up that I have to finish first :rolleyes: : the new things being having to prepare for a speech on Monday (cause I missed most of last week), a new website assignment, and trying to tutor several classmates in web design (when they still don't get the concepts behind it).

Man, this is really starting to tick me off. I swore to myself that I would finish my entries, but now... 'sigh' I don't know.
Do I think I'll be able to finish both in time? No, I doubt it...
But I'll be damned if I don't finish one of them on time. ;) (I can always finish the other after the Challenge, when I'll have more time)

So then, I guess my question becomes:
Which entry do I focus most of my attention on? :shrug:

vampeta & ace4016: thanks for the support, guys. If I choose the 3D entry, I might go back on the face and try box modeling on it (might help with the shaping of it more than poly-modeling).

mmoir
04-11-2005, 12:55 AM
Hey Jason,
Yes , time can always be a problem. Hope you find some of it to finish at least one and see you at the finish line. There is always next contest too, so what happens , happens.

angel
04-12-2005, 12:30 AM
I think you should concentrate on what you enjoy the most. If you do you are more likely to finish it. ;)

vampeta
04-15-2005, 12:42 AM
Hey Friend,

Keep on Modeling! Lets finish this Challenge! Even if we don´t win we have a lot of fun, right?! Meeting new friends arround the world! Greetings from good old Germany ;)

Thanks a lot 4 the Great support in my thread, and 4 the extreem cool links, helps a lot!

Keep on Roking, Alex

:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

ArtisticVisions
04-15-2005, 02:05 AM
Hey all... I''ve decided to stick with finishing the 2D entry. ;)

Don't get me wrong, I love working in 3D (I could do it all day... if I had the time :shrug: ), but I decided on completing the 2D Challenge for a few reasons:

1. I need to improve my 2D skills and my illustration skills, if I plan on making it as a graphic designer (which is what I'm currently studying to be).

2. Lately, I've been inspired and influenced a lot by several of the great digital artists that are here in the community: honestly... I really want to become as skilled as they are.

3. Personally, I think my concept/story for the 2D entry is much stronger than my 3D; I really don't want people questioning who the Master/Servant is. :rolleyes:

4. Till recently, I had forgotten how much I enjoy drawing/sketching. :)

So yep, I'll be working on the 2D entry. If I get time after I finish it, I'll work on the 3D entry (but I kinda doubt it); still, I do plan on finishing the "Knight" concept sometime during the summer, so it's not like I'm completely giving up on it.

Cheers. :)

angel
04-15-2005, 03:04 AM
good luck!

ace4016
04-15-2005, 03:05 AM
Well, I'm glad you picked the area you needed the most imporvement on. This entry had a great concept, to bad it most likely won't fully come out.

CGTalk Moderation
04-15-2005, 03:05 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.