PDA

View Full Version : Radiosity is Killing ME

X99
09-24-2002, 04:45 AM
So I got Max 5 finally, and am thrilled with all the tutorials and features. Very impressed with the Radiosity and how it does the Neon lights in the tutorials.

One of my animation which I am migrating uses neon lights and I wanted to make it radiosity based as it looks much better. When I do everything in Max 5, and put my neon sign in my interior.... a box with normals flipped.... and add the photometric lights, my neon sign shows, due to it being self illuminated, but the rest of the scene is black and there is no reflections.

Yes I did solve the radiosity, and even when I merge my sign into the tutoral (gallery no overide) it works great.

Any suggestions???

- Conrad

Fex
09-24-2002, 11:40 AM
it's a matter of your scene scale cause objects cast light with
physical decay..
you have to use advanced lighting override material for your
neon object and try different high settings for luminance scale.

hope it helps :)

X99
09-24-2002, 07:41 PM
It helped a little, I had to crank my point light up to around 10000lm. What I don't understand though is how it's deciding that scale.

My room is 150x150x100, and the gallery is the same height as well. So therefore I though tthe same settings would work. Even looking in the help files they say that scale is important, but never define what a proper scale should be.

Any pointers you can give?

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.