PDA

View Full Version : How to use pressure sensitivity?

bassanimation
03-21-2005, 04:54 PM
Im using P9, trying to figure out how to get my brushes to go from small, to large, to small again during a stroke, similar to Photoshop's Shape Dynamics/pen pressure. I see where it has a drop down menu for Expression: Pressure next to each category. But, when I check it on, the results are not exactly pleasing ^^; The brushes still remain large when I start to paint, then they simply fade out. I also wanted the brush's opacity to behave according to pen pressure, but when I check that expression on, nothing appears at all.

Id like to set the brushes Id like to use for painting (trying to at least :P) to behave similarly to PS, where the brush behaves according to my tablet, etc. These drop downs are confusing, as they seem to be giving me just, odd results compared to what I think they're supposed to do. Can anyone help, or explain what Im doing wrong?

Jinbrown
03-21-2005, 08:05 PM
Shawnna,

When asking questions about Painter, it's important to be very specific, especially when it comes to brush variants. They're all different, with different brush control settings so it's like groping in the dark when we don't know which brush variant we're talking about.

While you did a nice job of explaining what you want and what you've already done to accomplish that goal, it would make all the difference if you also:

List the specific brush variants by their exact names.

Tell us the exact name of the current Paper when you use each of those brush variants.

Since many of Painter's brush variants interact with the current Paper texture, it can make a difference in how the brushstroke looks.

In the meantime, go to Edit > Preferences > Brush Tracking and paint a brushstroke on the scratch pad using your normal pressure then click the OK button.

That may help and if it doesn't, you can let us know.

Also, try this:

Select the Pens' Scratchboard Tool variant.

In the Brush Selector menu, choose Restore Default Variant.

Paint some brushstrokes on a large white Canvas using varying hand pressure. Try to being the brushstroke with light pressure and end with light pressure but don't get all tensed up about it. Just let your hand relax and paint freely.

You should get lovely thick and thin lines with this brush variant when it's in its default state. It's not a "Grainy" variant so the Paper texture shouldn't affect the brushstrokes. If you're not getting nice thick and thin lines, let us know.

BaronImpossible
03-22-2005, 12:42 PM
There's no point just setting the expression to "pressure" if you haven't altered the percentage deviations on the sliders. I can't be more exact because I'm not at my PC so the terminology might vary.

I paint a great deal with a 100 - 180px brush which can draw lines as thin as 3 or 4 pixels with ease, you just need to tell Painter how much variation you want on your brush sizes.

BTW I'm using 8, not 9, but I'm sure it's pretty much the same.

bassanimation
03-22-2005, 08:57 PM
Jinny,
thanks, this worked quite well! Im still having some issues with some of the brushes, but it worked well with the scratch tool. It's really odd, I keep thinking setting the drop downs to pressure will do the trick, but alas, seems like most of the brushes do not like it. Like with Acrylics/Wet Detail Brush 5. When I check Opacity expression: Pressure on, the brush is very faded, and when I put more pressure on the tablet, it dissappears! I dont understand :(

Baron,
Im very very new to Painter, so any terminology is lost on me ^^;. I've messed with the sliders some, but it either doesnt do much, or makes things worse. Crafty! I will continue to poke at it some more, thank you!

Jinbrown
03-24-2005, 01:32 AM
Jinny,
thanks, this worked quite well! Im still having some issues with some of the brushes, but it worked well with the scratch tool. It's really odd, I keep thinking setting the drop downs to pressure will do the trick, but alas, seems like most of the brushes do not like it. Like with Acrylics/Wet Detail Brush 5. When I check Opacity expression: Pressure on, the brush is very faded, and when I put more pressure on the tablet, it dissappears! I dont understand :(

Shawnna,

When a brush variant doesn't do what you expect, one thing to try is restoring it to its default settings.

In the case of the Acrylics' Wet Detail Brush 5, it should be responding to Pressure in its default state. Before restoring it to its default state, try this:

Go to the Brush Controls' General palette and check to see if the small box to the right of the Expression drop down list is checked. That box is not labeled but you can read its name by holding your cursor very still over it for a few seconds until the name is displayed. You'll need to have Tool Tips turned on first, though (Help > Show Tool Tips). You can find the name of most items in Painter by doing this.

For now, I'll tell you the name of that box: Invert Opacity Expression. As its name suggests, when that box is checked, the Opacity Expression effect is reversed.

Uncheck it and try again to paint a brushstroke that responds to Opacity Expression set to Pressure. If that doesn't do the trick, go to the Brush Selector menu and choose Restore Default Variant.

CGTalk Moderation
03-24-2005, 01:32 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.