PDA

View Full Version : frame rates

zeedy
03-21-2005, 03:35 PM
Hi,

i've been doing some CG scenes for editing into a video. the client requested them on mini DV tape for use in his editing suite (Casablanca Avio). So i rendered the scenes as .tga sequences and made avi's out of them in Premier using the DV format and then exported them to a Sony DVcam drive using windows movie maker.

the client complained of some poor image quality and sent me a VHS of them. the first thing i noticed is that they are much slower than intended. its like they were displaying at 12-15 fps instead of 25fps (PAL DV) as intended. i'm convinced its this slow frame rate thats causing the problems. i've captured the clips back from the DV tape and it all seems fine but the client insists the problem is at my end and not his yet it all seems fine to me.

i dunno if i've done them at the wrong frame rate for his edit machine or what as i've never done this before. if anyone has any idea whats gone wrong and how i might sort it out i'd be most grateful for some advice.

thanks.

michaeljr
03-21-2005, 06:16 PM
did you export it to DV or DVCAM? if you put it on SonyDVcam and they try to read it with DV, it's going to get slower and messy. DVcam speeds up the tape cutting 20minutes off the usuable 60 minutes, making it 1/3 faster tape speed. only Sony equipment can read a DVcam tape, I don't think the Casablanca Avio can read it. Just DV.

zeedy
03-21-2005, 06:47 PM
thanks for your reply.

i took the avi's into windows movie maker and exported them to the DVcam drive. wether they are in Dv or DVcam format i have no idea.
i dont think this is the problem as he must have been able to read the tape in his machine as he sent me them back on VHS. but if DVcam tape reads faster than DV then wouldnt that have made the clips shorter rather than longer?

i'm confused.

marchermann
03-21-2005, 08:02 PM
i dont think this is the problem as he must have been able to read the tape in his machine as he sent me them back on VHS. but if DVcam tape reads faster than DV then wouldnt that have made the clips shorter rather than longer?
In your DVcam recorder the tape was rolling faster. In his DV deck the tape was running slower. This could indeed be the problem. Just check the settings on your deck again. You can certainly switch to DV.

Marc

CGTalk Moderation
03-21-2005, 08:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.