mustique
03-21-2005, 02:39 PM
Just had to post this since I believe this is going to change the landscape
of the memory industry DDRAMatically!

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=21995

MattClary
03-21-2005, 05:27 PM
this is going to change the landscape

Only if it's as cheap as other technologies.

Hazdaz
03-21-2005, 11:19 PM
F Rambus. Its because of their damn proprietary memory technology that I would have to pay an arm and a leg to upgrade my machine past 1GB. I am all for new and faster memory technology, but not when it comes to the deals that Rambus was trying to pull.

enygma
03-22-2005, 12:23 AM
Although, on the bright side, Rambus has their XDR memory series, which within the Cell architecture is supposed to push 25.6GB/s of memory bandwidth.

Hazdaz
03-22-2005, 01:24 AM
I think no one is doubting the speeed of their technology... its the price and proprietary nature of it that pisses me and many others off.

enygma
03-22-2005, 02:36 AM
The price of their current memory I can see being bad on a pricing perspective. I am not too sure on what XDRs pricing is at though. As for proprietary... I don't really see much wrong with proprietary, considering most software we tend to make a living off of is proprietary as well. If it is good memory, and the price is right, I couldn't really care less if it is proprietary or not.

Hazdaz
03-22-2005, 02:59 AM
You will care if it is prorietary when there is almost only one maker of that RAM and it is in a fairly short supply (if it is being made at all) - jacking up the price. Espesially later in its lifecycle when you expect it to be very cheap, but instead is very expensive.

While the software we run is kind of propritary (ofcourse you can still import files from other software into it, making it semi-flexible), but almost none of the hardware you are running is proprietary (unless your running a Mac, and even they are moving away from proprietary hardware). None of the graphics cards are - they all run either DX and/or OGL standard protocols on the AGP bus or PCIx. Same deal with your soundcard and networkcard, etc. Your HD communicated with your motherboard using standard connectors.

novadude
03-22-2005, 03:24 AM
Hazdaz, that's why Infineon licensing it is a good thing ;they can make enough of it that supply won't be low.

enygma
03-22-2005, 03:28 AM
Personally, looking towards XDR memory, like I said, if the price is right, I have no problem with it. Considering memory bandwidth in XDR is huge (25.6GB/s according to IBM/Sony based on Cell memory bandwidth numbers) as opposed to the 3.2GB/s we can get before having to resort to overclocking, proprietary or not, I would be happy to shell out the money for it. The only problem is that kind of bandwidth can't be achieved on current generation PCs yet. Next generation is iffy if PC is still sticking to x86(64), considering the architecture is starting to get bottlenecked. If someone makes better memory and the price is right, then sure, I'll go with that.

mustique
03-22-2005, 08:09 AM
Getting everyone licensing the technologie and paying fees to RAMBUS isn't that bad,if the price of XDR ram comes down to reasonable levels. But there's no hurry anyway. First we'll see this type of RAM on our VGA cards and much later (if ever) on our motherboards.

CGTalk Moderation
03-22-2005, 08:09 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.