PDA

View Full Version : Engine Tools?

Cheese Dude
03-21-2005, 04:50 AM
Is Dev-C++ good for programming an engine? Also, how much work is usually put into make an under-average engine? Links would be great, thanks :thumbsup:

rakmaya
03-21-2005, 02:13 PM
With 4 professional programmers you can pull it off within 6 months. This includes decent engine with all latest supports. To build tools, depending on the skill of a programmer, you can pull it off in an extra 1 month.

This is the real world estimate. Developers get paid approx. 80K to 120K depending on their experience and skills.

In most studios, there will be approx 6 to 12 programmers to do this since conditions we work in are not ideal.

Generaly speaking, there is no "under-average" engine. There is either an Engine or an API. APIs are simple wrappers with some form behavior of an engine. An Engine is a complete build with which the engine programming time by far out cast the game programming time. This includes all the basic tools necessary to function and a complete support for at least one 3D package.

My best advice is you look at already existing simple to use engines and see what they offer. Cipher, Truevision3D, Nebula2, Torque, 3D Game Studio are few examples.

There is a dedicated thread (sticky) in this this forum that discuss the engines available in the market. That would be more informational interms of features.

Vertizor
03-21-2005, 03:28 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Dev-C++ is just an IDE code editor? Well your specific question about Dev-C++ is like saying "is a hammer good enough to build a tree house?"

If you already made up your mind that C++ will be your language of choice for development then sure, Dev-C++ will do just fine. But no matter what code editor or IDE you choose you're still going to have to put in the same amount of work and effort: a lot! :)

www.gamedev.net

www.flipcode.com

www.gamasutra.com

Those 3 sites have tons of info on game dev and if you spend enough time researching you'll find plenty of resources about engine design - from the planning stages and overall design, right down to some actual code that does stuff. Gamasutra has a lot of good articles but many of them require you to be registered first. I believe you can sign up for a free account of sorts (I did a long time ago) which at least will allow you to read more content on that site.

CGTalk Moderation
03-21-2005, 03:28 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.