PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a condition that HELPS your art?

paperclip
03-20-2005, 04:18 PM
This is an 'optimistic' thread. I was reading a post in the sketch group about synaesthesia and it got me thinking-- Does that help the person in their art? In any way?
I'm deaf myself and I really do think it makes me more visually observant and I have powers of concentration like nothing else :D
How about the rest of you? Do you have anything that improves your work in any way? I'd be interested to see what you guys say. Post away!

Oh and before you ask, I DON'T sign. Plenty of deaf people don't sign! I have a cochlear implant and I was raised oral.

SpeccySteve
03-20-2005, 04:36 PM
I have dodgy eyesight but I find that if I take my specs off it makes it much easier to see areas of light and shade on a subject when life drawing etc.

I find I don't get caught up in detail early on because I can't see that detail..hmm does that make sense?

-Steve

Oh yeah, being slightly colourblind I sometimes come up with "interesting" palette choices..:)

shadowcastersleadgirl
03-20-2005, 04:41 PM
I also can't see well. When I'm not wearing contacts or glasses I can see shapes a lot better, and it gives me a different perspective of how I could draw it differently than it appears.
Stress helps with my art as well, along with my writing.

UnknownArtist
03-20-2005, 04:45 PM
Insomnia ... I do my best work in any media at night. Catches up sometimes but it can be helpful. Really gets my imagination running, sometimes a little to much.

opus13
03-20-2005, 04:53 PM
my eyes are also pretty bad. if i take of my glasses, it is impossible to see any detail on a monitor or on paper. this is a good thing! i can then then pay attention to things like correcting the leading in a paragraph or the balance of a design. with good eyesight, its too easy to get caught up in the details. :)

PaulGanguly
03-20-2005, 05:31 PM
I have dodgy eyesight but I find that if I take my specs off it makes it much easier to see areas of light and shade on a subject when life drawing etc.
Insomnia ... I do my best work in any media at night. Catches up sometimes but it can be helpful. Really gets my imagination running, sometimes a little to much.

I had to comment on this thread because I did something the other day that just straight freaked me out. In addition to the above (which are oddities that I think add to my art, specifically the thing about the glasses) I was told as an exercise to 'loosen up' when doing gesture drawings in my figure drawing class the other day.

What better way to loosen up but to use your non-dominant hand?

So I, being right handed, started using my left.

My left hand kicked my right hands ass.

Well, not really, but for some reason, I was much more able to distinguish the sillhouette of the figure, and get a much more accurate representation, although the finished product was sketchy in comparison to the usuall pretty precise work of my right hand.

It's like my left hand couldn't lie, so to speak. I couldn't get it to put the lines that I wanted to be there, but I could get the lines that werein fact there.

So I decided that my left hand had not been 'trained' the technique that my right hand had, thus when I had the opportunity to finish some of the ones that I had started with my left hand, I used my right hand to add the proper shading and tones.

It's kind of an annoyance to switch hands, but hey, if the finished product is all the better for it, then why not?

stewartjones
03-20-2005, 05:35 PM

Ditto!

My sleep patterns are disgustingly bad, and it is sometimes a bit of a problem as it gets me down every now and again. (I keep these sleeping pill companies in business at times! hehe)

I do find it helps me out though. I work my best at around 2-4am!

ThirdEye
03-20-2005, 06:17 PM
working at nite.

DaddyMack
03-20-2005, 07:02 PM
Put another one down for insomnia as well as poor eyesight...I also seem to have a bottomless well of creativity and ideas, boxes and boxes of sketchbooks full of them, unfortunately, like everybody else I only get dealt 24 hours each day and can't bring many of them to fruition, and live my life...hence the insomnia

Oh and of course an undying desire to just create because...that seems to help a bit

jorx
03-20-2005, 08:06 PM
Yeah I'm mostly deaf so I've always been pretty visually oriented. Unlike my brother who has his own recording studio and is a musician, I'm the artist of the family. So maybe that works out to my advantage.

leigh
03-20-2005, 08:08 PM
I'm insane.

(actually I'm not really)

CGmonkey
03-20-2005, 08:44 PM
I'm insane.

(actually I'm not really)

After meeting you, I can say you're quite insane ;)

NrgJake
03-20-2005, 09:04 PM
I have scotopic sensitivity which simply put is a sensitivy to contrast between white and black values. ie. Black text on white page... ..or say car headlights at night.

for example: When reading black text on super white pages I have to concentrate alot on reading becuase the contrast makes the text "pop" a little too much which is distracting. It's hard to explain exactly, but it almost makes it look like faint trails of the words moving around.

Not quite sure if it's helped or hurt me artistically. The only real problems I have with it are car headlights at night, which makes my vision distort slightly. And then the reading problem. Considering i went to school for graphic design, and frequently work with typography, it could be a problem, but i've always found that well designed typography is always easier on my eyes. So in actuallity it could help.

hypercube
03-20-2005, 09:53 PM
I'm single. :hmm:

Seriously though, if I had love in my life, I'd never be able to do the amount of work I do, it's crazy. And of course as a consequence of working so much, I'm not out meeting people or taking care of myself. Catch-22 eh?

Speaking of crazy, I'm at times obsessive-compulsive..this can definitely be a great help when attention to detail is needed, and once I'm 'into gear' on something I'll focus on it hard until it's done, but can also trip me up when I need to just call something 'good enough' and get it out the door. I need the little paperclip guy to hover over my screen and say "Really it's quite decent as it is and no one will ever see the difference". :p It was good to see on the Incredibles behind the scenes that most of them feel the same way about tweaks though..heh.

Absolutely a night owl, I think having varying or 'adjustable' sleep patterns, or no pattern at all, can definitely make throwing into all-nighters easier. Only thing I find sometimes that doesn't help about being a night owl is when you have to interact with normal people during the day..heh.

I also have a very good memory for most things, this is a big plus for notes and spotting details, I guess the only drawback to that is when I remember they said they wanted something a certain way, and they forgot that's what they said..that's where written notes come in ;)

In the end I guess there's plus and minus to everything, just have to balance it out and play the advantages you can.

nix0r
03-20-2005, 10:00 PM
In the end I guess there's plus and minus to everything, just have to balance it out and play the advantages you can. so true :), smart words, preach brother, preach! :D

Signal2Noise
03-20-2005, 10:12 PM
I'm ugly. Me = :argh:

If I go outside I get pelted with rocks and cigarette butts. That's enough motivation for me to stay inside and work on my art.

erilaz
03-20-2005, 10:35 PM
I'm red-green colour blind, so it really forces me to pay attention to colour theory and tones.

Garma
03-20-2005, 11:34 PM
I don't have a particular physical (dis)advantage, but I do have a strong and focused will, and I can be quite devoted to things I really want. I think this has pushed me through a lot of trouble.

ralphmanning
03-21-2005, 01:31 AM
Insomnia ... I do my best work in any media at night. Catches up sometimes but it can be helpful. Really gets my imagination running, sometimes a little to much.Ditto!

My sleep patterns are disgustingly bad, and it is sometimes a bit of a problem as it gets me down every now and again. (I keep these sleeping pill companies in business at times! hehe)

I do find it helps me out though. I work my best at around 2-4am!Oh yes, I am exactly the same - My mind comes alive at night. My sleeping pattern is completely messed upwell, there is no pattern. I tend to just sleep when I知 tired. If its not convenient to sleep, then I値l just have come caffeine and wait until I知 tired again, if its convenient, I値l sleep. I知 kind of hoping it will turn itself around naturally though - so I can one day go to sleep at 渡ormal sleeping hours.
I am somewhat a perfectionist, although you can稚 really call that a 田ondition. It can be annoying at times, but overall I think it痴 a plus. A kind of quality control.

In the end I guess there's plus and minus to everything, just have to balance it out and play the advantages you can.Couldn稚 agree more.

ben_o
03-21-2005, 02:22 AM
Woah! I thought I was the only one who's peak working hours were 2 am :) I definately feel like I have a 28 hour cycle, and I am constantly being woken up four hours too early every day for work. Grrr.

I swear that I would be happiest if one of those sci-fi 'Earth-altering nukes/earthquake/aliens/etc' would make days longer by just four hours. That's not too much to ask, is it? (Calling Dr Evil...)

Ah well, until that time it's up from 7am to 1am-4am until the weekend where my sleep cycle gets really messed up... heh.

At least I should be better equiped to handle fatherhood at some point!

Ben

Good morning to my fellow insomniacs!

UnknownArtist
03-21-2005, 02:25 AM
I'm red-green colour blind, so it really forces me to pay attention to colour theory and tones.

Put me down for the same henderence.... Mine is more of a Blue-Green color blindness.... I have massive trouble figuring one from the other unless its a drastic difference. I have gotten myself trained rather good to distinquish but it can get tough... also have troube with dark shades of green and blue... looks black to me most of the time.

paperclip
03-21-2005, 10:17 AM
The line above your avatar suddenly makes more sense now.......:thumbsup:

titaniumdave
03-21-2005, 12:33 PM
I have animatitus, if I don't animate for atleast 4 hours a day I'll die. :sad:

mookid2005
03-21-2005, 12:38 PM
I broke my third finger so I can hold my mouse better.

rbgallinera
03-21-2005, 12:47 PM
...i tend to see things in slow motion...:D
dunno where exactly that can come in handy.

UnknownArtist
03-21-2005, 03:43 PM
The line above your avatar suddenly makes more sense now.......:thumbsup:

Haha... you arn't lying. It gets a bit dodgy sometimes... You should see me on a bad morning when I try to match... Oh the horror. I have gotten into neverending verbal sparing matches with my girlfriend about this... I have come to realize, Im usually wrong. haha

But like i said above. Its getting better, just looking at things a bit differently helps "get" it. People are always coming up to me holding a couple pieces of material up and asking "Which one is green which one is blue." Oh the irritation. I usually get it right and they usually shoot back "But how can you tell, your lying blah blah blah".. Nothing like telling countless people over and over. "It's just different in my eyes."

coCoKNIght
03-21-2005, 03:54 PM
I'm multiarural, that helps a lot :D
And I've also got that weird sleep cicle stuff, thou that doesn't help at all, cause it causes me to be creative when I'm actually too tired for it...

paperclip
03-21-2005, 04:04 PM
Multiarural? What exactly is that? Google tells me it's non existent! Is that a typo?

DyslexicDan
03-21-2005, 04:32 PM
I知 Dyslexic. That in it self doesn稚 guarantee anything but because dyslexic people壮 heads are wired differently (or some crap like that) they tend to be more creative. Note the use of the word 田reative that could be anything from construction or auto work to the fine arts. It depends on your influences.

My influences just happen to be books, comics, and other matters of geekdom. I do believe if wasn稚 dyslexic I wouldn稚 be the artist that I am today. By profession I知 a computer programmer and I probably would only be a programmer if I wasn稚 dyslexic. Heck I probably wound't even be a programmer if I wasn't dyslexic.

coCoKNIght
03-21-2005, 10:08 PM
hihi, yep, it's a typo, I wanted to say multiartural, with is a poor translation of the german non-existent word: multikulturell. Get it?! If not I'm sure mister Gedzit will get it :D

Kimotion
03-21-2005, 10:22 PM
It takes me a long time to make decisions...I ponder and weight the pros and cons constantly, out of fear of making bad choices. That leads to lower confidence once the decision is made. This condition manifests itself in my sketches: I rarely have strong, bold lines. Every line looks "calculated" and intentional, lacking any emotion other than timidness.

I also notice right away the quirks everyone has in their gestural, facial and vocal qualities. I can impersonate people well, repeating and enhancing their distinct traits. Although this can lead to trouble with people, it makes great reference material for all the animated characters I have in mind!

SovereignKnight
03-22-2005, 02:38 AM
Depression.

Causes me to be introspective, which fuels a lot of emotion, which stimulates creativity. I don't recommend you try it though.

EpShot
03-22-2005, 03:17 AM
Minor OCD a blessign and a curse really. Makes me pay attention to detail, btu sometimes not in the right area. = /

textureyes
03-22-2005, 03:46 AM
Dyslexia (i can spell it.. yeahhh....)
Im not really bad. but bad enough to know that i should concerntrate on the things i am good at.
It is a condition that a lot of people see as someone who "cant" read... but its a bigger kettle of fish than that...
It actually helps me stay focused and apreciate what i can achieve.

Faber
03-22-2005, 03:57 AM
this is a great thread :D ...I confess

sanity... what is it really? do we not have to be slightly mad to work in this field? to make a quick check ask your mother to explain what you do... I usually get the: its not real, it doesnt exist.. my father recently told me that he awaiting the day they invent a machine that can spray out the paint on a canvas (he is a painter and meant it as a putdown..he hates computers)... failing to understand that we would need one of those hard to get infinitely large nano canvases in 3D... well how on earth do we navigate these chaosmachines called 3D programs? I think being a little crazy will only make the inflight experience and result better, im happy not to fall into the category of normal. I have slight OCD (germs), im manic and depressive at times (especially when under severe financial stress and 10.000+ km from my girlfriend, like right now). I can lose myself in details, its a hazard, but also an ability to dive deep into lets say the refractions of light hitting my eyelashes on a sunny day or the afterimage of the sun burned in on my retina, showing its hexagonal shape and multitude of colourgradients shifting over time. Im overwhelmed with emotions I have no clue where come from and often they translate into colours and shapes. this is what originally propelled me into 3D. Finally a medium that will allow for visual translation of my emotions. However I havent started creating those things yet, they are way to complex for my skilllevel as of now :D

oh and my girlfriend tells me that im a freak, I tell her the same...but its true. oh that was personal.. well what the heck. I hope im not scaring off potential employers ;) one last thing and I wish I still had this, when I was a small kid, food would trigger colour displays in my mind, which is probarly why I was fat as a kid.

/kasper

Fungusmonkey
03-22-2005, 04:15 AM
Oh, wow. Where do I even begin here, people?

1. Hyperactive - My brain always seems to fly about a million miles a second. Sometimes it gets really bad and I can't sleep for a day or two because I'm thinking too hard about something. It's really tough to shut it off as well (once I was working on dialog for a script and I couldn't sleep for 4 days straight: started seeing things, couldn't drive :eek: ).

2. Addicted to nicotine - Say what you will about smoking, but I've had some of my best ideas while taking a smoke break. Maybe it has something to do with forcing yourself to step away from your art every hour or so.

3. Recovering S.A. (if you don't know what that stands for, don't ask) - This makes me OBSESSIVELY observant. I can tell if a girls eyes dilate a fraction of an inch from across a room. I tend to catch things that no one else catches, like tiny facial expressions or a subtle change in mannerisms or body language. I tend to read people very quickly. Helps a lot when animating.

4. Parent - Nothing like seeing the world through a childs eyes again.

Let's see... I think that just about sums up the major ones. :)

Albius
03-22-2005, 05:19 AM
I'm slightly autistic-- Asperger's Syndrome, actually- the same disorder that Michelangelo was affected by (not to mention Bill Gates, interestingly enough).

I'm extremely uncomfortable and incoherent in virtually any social situation, but I have a very unique artistic perspective, and plenty of time to develop it.

UnknownArtist
03-22-2005, 06:48 AM
2. Addicted to nicotine - Say what you will about smoking, but I've had some of my best ideas while taking a smoke break. Maybe it has something to do with forcing yourself to step away from your art every hour or so.

Oh how unbelievably true... I find this as a perfect time for mental creativity. A chance to step away and examine the work that has occured. From the Outside looking in, is great for creativity, especially after a long duration behind the screen or canvas/paper, I always say.

How I love my cigarettes so... Bad I know, but hey its a chosen and unsafe hobby. Least I am not jumping from bridges with a sheet folded and shoved in a pak on my back.

PaulGanguly
03-22-2005, 07:08 AM
Dyslexia (i can spell it.. yeahhh....)
Im not really bad. but bad enough to know that i should concerntrate on the things i am good at.
It is a condition that a lot of people see as someone who "cant" read... but its a bigger kettle of fish than that...
It actually helps me stay focused and apreciate what i can achieve.Has anyone ever seen the movie Amadeus? Remember the scene in the beginning when he's playing grabass with Constanze? He's saying really obnoxious stuff to her, but he's saying it backwards. I started doing that when I was in like 6th grade. I saw the movie for the first time in 12th grade (3 years ago) and it freaked the hell out of me.

When everyone else saw it, they were like holy crap, you're a genius like Mozart!. Well, I don't know about that, but I don't personally know anyone else that can do it.

It's like, voluntary dyslexia (and yes, you spelled it right). Although for me, it's more spatial. I see a word, and then rotate it around (think annoying 3d text screensaver in xp). That means it's not an aural thing, where I can invert the sound. I just read whatever I see in my head, which is the inverse of the order of the letters that comprise the word which I am trying to spell backwards. Thus, if I were spelling 'backwards', 's' followed by 'd' would have to make a 'sduh' sound, so I have to get inventive from time to time.

My brother thinks it's the most ridiculously amazing thing ever. Whenever I hang out with he and his friends, they try to stump me.

So I obviously get 'supercalafragilisticexpialadocious' all the time.

suoicodalaipxecitsiligarfalacrepus

(swai-cod-alaip-ksec-itsil-igarf-alac-repus)

ralphmanning
03-22-2005, 08:12 PM
Haha PaulGanguly, that is a bit weirdbut cool too. I can稚 do it, just tried.

ShaneW
03-22-2005, 08:22 PM
Like EpShot, I also have minor OCD.

paperclip
03-22-2005, 08:47 PM
Hahah, don't you feel pity on these poor people with no physical disadvantages? They have to WORK to be good at art...:p

UrbanFuturistic
03-22-2005, 09:53 PM
Fully paid-up mentalist, or at least that's what people would have me believe, I just like to think that I'm a perfectly normal individual who has a number of coping mechanisms to deal with lifelong depression, I can't wait until I'm well, I'm the most insane optimist in the world and being able to combine that with positive emotions would be brilliant :D

As it is, lal the current ideas in my head are rather angsty and probably pseudo-existentialist, I'm truly introspective with a great understanding of emotions through self-analysis and strong empathetic ability.

My girlfriend still reckons she only looks normal by dint of the company she keeps :shrug:

regards, Paul

jmBoekestein
03-25-2005, 05:03 PM
I'm perpetually confused :surprised! Does that mean anything?

And probably an emotional derelict too, allthough I'd deny that the first chance I get. I guess those things help me find more meaning to little things.

Wow, paperclip...you know it's weird to read that of you, never meeting you face to face I wouldn't guess. I had no idea, All you can deduce here is what is written. Now that means that maybe it doesn't even matter at all. Cool that you started this thread! I can't believe I missed this one first time around!

The power baby!!!:thumbsup:

paperclip
03-25-2005, 10:07 PM
JMBoek, a lot of people are surprised when I tell them I am deaf, the only way it affects me really is that people can misunderstand my speech and I might have to ask you to repeat something twice. Everything else is fine. I use captions on the tv and on dvds and send sms messenges rather than phone. It really doesn't affect my life much at all!! You don't miss what you don't know. Really. I guess it would be sort of like being in a foreign country at times, you wouldn't be able to understand the lingo at times but in general it's fine. That's how I see it anyway :)
The only time I've gotten p'd off was when I found out the bonus features for the Incredibles weren't captioned :cry: . Maybe I should sue pixar. Instead of a monetary compensation, I'd demand that they let me work for them :D . That way we all win!

paperclip
03-26-2005, 12:37 AM
No one wants to post after I revealed my 'secret'. Uh oh.

BillSpradlin
03-26-2005, 12:56 AM
I'm insane, that's my condition. I haven't figured out if it helps or hinders my artistic sense though. I'll have to get back to you on that one.

stargazer
03-26-2005, 01:57 PM
SURROUNED BY A MILLION PEOPLE .I FEEL ALL ALONE. I MISS YOU. :shrug:

jmBoekestein
03-28-2005, 09:03 PM
Lol paperclip!

Sounds like you're dealing with it just fine! I'm tlling you, I think you're dead on. When I'm working on my computer I often have the tlelevision on for distraction but the sound's a little too distracting so I turn it way down. I've seen all my tapes a gazillion times anyway, lol.

The part of the brain dealing with images however is really big, I think being blind though must be terrible.

Hey you say people have to repeat themselves and that you speak with them. You lip-read?

btw, van Gogh had a rare form of epilepsia which happens in his image procesising brain parts, notice how the colours on his paintings are alqay kind of weird. He probably actually saw them like that. Weird aint it?

Somhairle
03-28-2005, 11:46 PM
Dyslexia: But man does it make me push myself to my limits. I learn much faster by doing rather than reading (Also "visually" it sticks better in my memory). I believe if I wasn't dyslexic - I would have gone down a different career path (electronics, etc) - But because I am, I really have analyzed visual/audio elements all my life, shapes, colours, human/animal movements, noises, etc.

...I'm truly introspective with a great understanding of emotions through self-analysis and strong empathetic ability.

Me too!

paperclip
03-28-2005, 11:58 PM
Boek,

Yes indeed, I do lipread and pretty well too, although since i got my implant (aged 11), I've been able to use both that and lipreading. My implant is good for most things, I can figure out what most things are, can distinguish instruments in music but have a problem with speech-- it's because everyone speaks with different accents, different inflections, speed, emphasising different parts of speech...it's so complicated! I could probably understand about a quarter of what you said without looking, much more if I know you well. Lipreading fills in the rest :)
Another thing is that I rely heavily on body language to tell me what someone is talking about, like anyone else really, but maybe a bit more? Hard to tell. If they are talking sadly, I'll know they are talking about sad things and have a context to work from.... you know what I mean. I am also very sensitive to light levels, having to 'read the face' means that you need good light and talking to someone with their back to the light is a no-no....
Hope this helps. One of the toughest things about having a 'difference' is that you need to work around others' preconceptions about people with that disability and I know people do have them, I experience that myself when faced with people with a disability that I don't know anything about. Disability is such a negative type of word though and one that I wouldn't really use. Ok, enough talking and more CG!

MadSkillzMan
03-29-2005, 03:18 AM
i have 20/200 vision, thats legally blind.

i have NO depth perception (so 3d is like 2D to me)

BUT,

My whole life, ive only been able to see things up close, therefore i remember details better. I model things beter than my bro, hes been at it for 3 years, i just started 2 months ago.

Somehow i have a photographic memory too, and then when im understanding math i can be a programming wiz

Dennik
03-29-2005, 03:31 AM
I'm a bit too sensitive as a personality, which i concider to be bad generaly, but it helps with the art a lot. I catch up details most people don't bother with. The problem is usualy nobody cares if i do more detailed work or not. :sad: Its just for my own satisfaction most of the time.

dominicqwek
03-29-2005, 07:49 AM
I just need to have good music playing in the background. Genre specific music that is.

mashakos
03-29-2005, 06:44 PM
An accident at the emergency room during my birth left me with a crippled right arm and hand.
That forced me to think up ways to pull off tasks you'd need two hands for with just one hand. That started off with lifting a glass or balancing a cup on a saucer when I was about 3, to lifting heavy objects or tying my shoe laces as I grew older. I guess it helped with concentration and oh yeah persistance! I never give up on something no matter how much time I spend. I just keep working at it until I figure out a way to get it done.

I remember being very clumsy using my left hand so I might have been right handed, don't know if it's related but I can draw a sketch upright or upside down with out any problems.

paperclip
03-29-2005, 08:03 PM
mash, having obstacles to get over sure does make you perseverant.... (millennia in speech therapy, i know what I'm talking about). I'm kind of surprised actually, a lot more people here have depression than I would have thought. I wonder if it's a condition peculiar to more creative people, I know a lot of artists who suffer from depression. Are they related?

Rezonance
03-29-2005, 08:35 PM
I have just found out I am Dyslexic to and might have scopic sensitivity syndrome but it does not help my art because I am rubbish! I am on a degree that is all wrong for me (Electronic Engineering) becuase it is all theoretical and I learn from doing stuff. There are things I have a hard time with and there are things I really excel at, the difference between them is quite shocking.

I think dyslexia is what gives me a drive to learn, study and practice art when I can. It is like that is how I get high! I spend a disturbing amount of time just thinking stuff up and I believe it is the reason for my creativity.

I cant explain it but when I am under lots of pressure my dyslexic traits begin to show up, otherwise I can compensate for them quite well. Once I graduate I really want to begin learning and teaching myself stuff because most of these courses just dont agree with me at all even though the subject matter is interesting to me.

mashakos
03-29-2005, 08:37 PM
I wonder if it's a condition peculiar to more creative people, I know a lot of artists who suffer from depression. Are they related?
I don't know about that, but I've never liked settling or accepting my circumstances. This was also what kept me up at night when I get a really good idea, I don't stop until I've realised the idea and not just call it a day when I can't go on or feel I've come half way through. Sometimes it feels good, but on certain occasions the pressure and the enormity of a certain goal I feel I must accomplish in life bears down on me. Not wanting to give up but at the same time not knowing how to go on. I guess that might be where depression stems from for some people?

DuttyFoot
03-29-2005, 10:18 PM
i can be quite the insomniac myself...i would come home from the lab at school around 10pm and go back to work until 11am sometime....been slacking lately though...my sleeping pattern changes every now and then...right now i am going to bed too early...night time is the best time to work....peace and quite gets the creative juices flowing....music helps too...i would come home from the lab at school around 10pm and go back to work until 11am sometime....been slacking lately though...my sleeping pattern changes every now and then...right now i am going to bed too early...

when u die you will have all the time to sleep

arnab majumdar
03-29-2005, 10:31 PM
i like most of us in our institute belive designer are nocturnal creatures. i am convinced. after i goy into animation i cannot sleep before 6 morning. u should belive our local time now in five o clock morning. i dont know i feeling so comfortable and fresh. I thought of my final project few nights ago somewhere around this time.
is there any doctor around. is 4 hour sleep bad..
please prescribe something other than dope and wine

LunchBox
03-29-2005, 10:40 PM
i can turn very difficult problems into easily solvable bits and pieces and that really helps me when i do some sort of cg-related scripting (like actionscripting in flash etc), i've noticed not everyone can just break everything down to basics again and get that to work before working on advanced solutions to the problem, think in steps (and learn to take a few steps back) instead of always writing messy code or getting stressed because it doesn't work. (certainly with programming it's normal you have conflicts in your code, breaking it down or even starting a whole piece over again often saves time over breaking your head for several hours straight)

also i need structure, but not in everything (e.g. my room and workspace is always messy, i need a little bit of mess to work in) but on my computer the files need to be structured.. i would even format my pc every once in a while just for the sake of getting rid of all those files that got spread around over time.

furthermore the night-rhytm ofcourse, it's just so much more relaxing if you can work late at home when everyone else is asleep.. you just turn on a little lounge music, fill up a glass of iced-tea and let the creative process begin. it also helps to have a broad range of interests, because you can get stuck with a few weeks of 'graphics block' (as we call it here) where you really can't get any good lines down on paper or good ideas to pop out of your head, in that case it's always good you can do some more routine tasks cg has to offer.

Kanga
03-30-2005, 12:42 AM
A bit colour blind!

A bit blind in general!

Very lazy!

Love to work wierd hours.
I do love the fact that I think it is a job that you can still do when you are 80!

oCapulet
04-05-2005, 12:54 PM
Heh, I'm very lazy too. Well, 'very' isn't the word -- it's like a black hole of inactivity. I can have the stress of exams, not having studied or practiced music, the build-up of not having attended to the leftovers of last times' buildup all piled on my head and I'll still just *sit* there, reading or whatever irrelevant activity... For the rest of the day. I'm doing it right now. XD

It does help a lot with finding time for art, but I'm aware my mind is training itself to exert effort on only the things it absolutely wants to. So... it's a bad, stupid thing that I should stop. >_<

NeptuneImaging
04-05-2005, 04:42 PM
Well, artists,

I am living with a chronic illness, and art keeps me sane...

.:ZRDwD:.
04-05-2005, 07:26 PM
Man, there's alot of vision-impaired people here! Maybe I should up my font value and change the color.

My imagination pretty much thrives off of an "interesting" childhood, depression, anxiety, and stress. No prescription reliever nor illegal drugs to alleviate nor enhance it. If I stay f*cked-up, so will my pieces. But, get me in a good mood... my imagination dwindles and I am worth nothing.

I had a few projects lined-up that may have taken till mid-summer to complete, but felt so good knowing that I was finally doing well and making money (doing paintings that really didn't fill my taste for the "bizarre"), I lost total thought of HOW to paint. I gave up on all the projects, putting me into a downward spiral of depression, enhancing my ability to do my typical themes again.

I live off of my pain. I think that's why I "enjoy" coming here; I feel so out of place and rejected here that it only feeds my "illness" (rejected in a sense that I use Poser for model reference, and out of place because of my dark subject matter).

TheClick
04-05-2005, 07:49 PM
Signal to Noise said:I'm ugly. Me = :argh:

I share that condition. I am under the impression that alot of artists are alienated at some point in their life and it helps to give an open mind towards curiousities.

Lessee, I can consider myself obsessive-compulsive, yesterday I discovered scoundrels charged $2,164 to my credit report. 6/04 I moved out of slum. 8/04 I called to make sure everything was ok, as far as landlord confirmation, AND TransUnion report confirmation. All was well. $0 balance $0 owed. 9/04 they charged me $2,164 for an unkown reason and put forth absolutely no effort to contact me reguarding the matter. I discovered this yesterday (04/05/05)at work, 4 hours before I got off work. Got a migraine during the 4 hours, left work and drove directly into 6:00 traffic. I still have my TransUnion report from last year, thank goodness.

Manic Depressive, Everytime I take a step forward, or something is given, something is taken away. For instance, If I find a full time Job. At some point my car will break down. Never fails. I spend all my earnings on fixing my car. Learning new CG programs: fun once I learn them, but always takes at least a few months of being a hermit. Sometimes even with no success(maya) Everytime something good happens, something bad of equal or more magnitude is bound to happen. Not much has happened lately for example because I proceed in all things with extreme caution. To almost a full neutrality which noone understands. When I am over the hump, There'll be much artworks from me. The trouble is not over, see paragraph above this one.

Overall, I got hip to the paranoic-critical method way too early on in life, and involuntarily apply it to about every situation in some way or shape. Yin-and-Yang. I suppose it helps. And being brainwashed into some gonzo form of mysticisms doesn't hurt as long as I keep it to myself. The imagination is vast., now if I could only figure out the sciences to apply.

Eventually I want to try using my left hand to draw.
And it's not my problem everybody else in the rest of the world is all messed up.

.:ZRDwD:.
04-05-2005, 08:00 PM
Good gawd.....

I think The Click is my manifested self-doubt and life force. :eek: Or, is it me as a voice in my head that has taken a flesh-form and has typed it from some other realm?

Now, I am confused... must go home now... must do... artwork... :eek:

Jean Genie
04-05-2005, 09:58 PM
I think any change in "condition" can help. The thing is if you're in a different state, you see, hear, smell things differently, you focus on things you've never noticed before.

For me, the best creative time is right before falling asleep. My thoughts and "problems" are shuffled around, reorganized, infered upon... If I can managed to write that stuff down before really falling asleep, then I got great stuff to work on in the morning.

Kanga
04-05-2005, 11:13 PM
... If I can managed to write that stuff down before really falling asleep, then I got great stuff to work on in the morning.
Me too exactly,
Creep out of bed,.... lite up a smoke (sorry non smokers) and start scribbling.

Ok another method follower :thumbsup:

illustr8rX
04-05-2005, 11:48 PM
well, i seem to be in good company here.
I'm red-green deficient, but my perception of value is very good, I sleep about 3-4 hours a night, and I'm a bit manic depressive. I'm on an upswing right now, so nothing gets me down.
don

jmBoekestein
04-06-2005, 11:12 AM
It's maybe a bit of a foolish question to pose here but here goes.

Anybody here ever stare at the screen for so long that all depth perception went bye bye? A while back I had the problem, it happens when I try to see depth in all the great artworks around here. But they're mashing my brains!!! Help me!!!:argh::cry:

Adamos
04-06-2005, 12:16 PM
I had to comment on this thread because I did something the other day that just straight freaked me out. In addition to the above (which are oddities that I think add to my art, specifically the thing about the glasses) I was told as an exercise to 'loosen up' when doing gesture drawings in my figure drawing class the other day.

Well, not really, but for some reason, I was much more able to distinguish the sillhouette of the figure, and get a much more accurate representation, although the finished product was sketchy in comparison to the usuall pretty precise work of my right hand.

It's like my left hand couldn't lie, so to speak. I couldn't get it to put the lines that I wanted to be there, but I could get the lines that werein fact there.

So I decided that my left hand had not been 'trained' the technique that my right hand had, thus when I had the opportunity to finish some of the ones that I had started with my left hand, I used my right hand to add the proper shading and tones.

It's kind of an annoyance to switch hands, but hey, if the finished product is all the better for it, then why not?

Using your not dominant hand get's you very interesting compositions! And suprisingly original lineart! I do that quite often! Better than drugs and alcohol together! Ooops did I say that loud?! hehe

seriously I mean it!

cheers!

Jean Genie
04-06-2005, 05:39 PM
Anybody here ever stare at the screen for so long that all depth perception went bye bye? A while back I had the problem, it happens when I try to see depth in all the great artworks around here. But they're mashing my brains!!! Help me!!!:argh::cry:

It seems normal to me that this happens. When you're watching 3d on a screen, your brain makes up for depth that isn't there. It can't be fooled forever. I would say that by nature your brain wants to see things in many ways, change perception. But if you keep staring at the same screen for a while, it will see the depth and after a while, the flatness of the screen and get confused.

When that happens, my bet is a little walk or a little nap would fix things up.

mummey
04-06-2005, 06:19 PM
ADHD... or lack of sleep... or just plain ol' insanity.

Its one of those. I'm pretty sure its causing the others. :shrug:

nineinchneil
04-07-2005, 12:00 AM
depression. i am overwhelmed by it 80% of the time. my creativity goes way up when i'm sad.

jmBoekestein
04-07-2005, 12:08 AM
ADHD... or lack of sleep... or just plain ol' insanity.

Its one of those. I'm pretty sure its causing the others. :shrug:

I always get it backwards, freudian thing I guess.

First I had issues with my parents then with myself...and the rest just happened...too fast...

Nguyen
04-07-2005, 09:30 AM
Is drugs consider a disability? hehehe

Enayla
04-07-2005, 09:52 AM
Well. I thought I did.

I've had insomnia for years. For a long while, this was indeed helpful for my art - I could stay up and work on a painting non stop for three days (indeed, when I fell in love with a painting, I had little choice but to stay up).

But as it turns out, insomnia was everything but a help for me and I wish I could take the years when I thought of it lightly, back. It's a terrible thing to have. For me, it became worse and worse until I didn't sleep at all, or only slept when I collapsed or ate sleeping pills. It's a long, long hard way back from that, and I'd just like to give a friendly warning to those who've not reached that point yet and still think of sleeplessness as sort of cool (and even stay up on purpose some nights). It's pretty dangerous. It nearly destroyed my career and very nearly made me give up art altogether.

On another note, I never paint as well as I do when I have headaches. The more severe, the more inspired I am, up until the point when I can't sit in front of the computer. We used to joke about it at my own forums - if I mentioned I was having a headache, people would be cheering me on, waiting for the new painting, heh. O I miss those days.

offbeatworlds
04-07-2005, 11:08 PM
I guess the thing that helps my art the most is my motiviational condition. I'm a very determined person and always want to improve at anything I take an interest in, be it art or gymnastics. This really helps me along, and sometimes I get so motivated about something that its all I think about. Being like has really helped my art...really. My friends and parents tell me that every new picture shows even more improvement than the last. I really like being so motivated. It's great.

I also have a very good memory and that helps me remember tips and hints given by artists and things I found out for myself though careful examination and study. :D

jmBoekestein
04-07-2005, 11:44 PM
I'm compulsive:)...I shouldn't have said that...

GOTgraphic
04-08-2005, 01:09 AM
Do you have a condition that HELPS your art?

Does having gerbils running around inside my head count?

When all three of them run simultaneously on the wheel I can graphic much better :D

PatternRecognition
04-08-2005, 10:27 AM
Both my eyes have slightly different 'calibration', I see more greenish or blueish tones with the left and right one in strong lighting conditions, together they even out, but if I close one or the other or concentrate on a picture I can see a lot of color variations that can be casually overlooked.
Also, I'm lazy :p but I dunno if that counts as a condition?

paperclip
04-08-2005, 10:58 AM
Wow, this thread really took off. I wonder why?
Glad to see we can all share our ineptness:D

Little did I know, when posting this, that I would be starting off a landslide...hehe.
Now all I have to do is get my master & servant thread to be as popular :twisted:. Maybe someday I'll get a shiny award under my avatar.:buttrock:
You guessed it. One of my conditions is unrelenting competitiveness. Anyone else have that?

jmBoekestein
04-08-2005, 11:24 AM
I'm the absolute opposite actually!

Everytime we won or something playing sports, I was the only one to just walk of the field and look for something to drink.

paperclip
04-08-2005, 11:48 AM
Probably a less stressful way to live! I should subscribe to your attitude...

PatternRecognition
04-08-2005, 01:40 PM
One of my conditions is unrelenting competitiveness. Anyone else have that?

I do actually! I'm also too ambitious for my own good, but the laziness evens it all out lol

Shaggy
04-09-2005, 12:07 AM
After meeting you, I can say you're quite insane ;)

but we are all quite insane

all of the above for me, there are many factors that go into drawing for me, alot my stuff is done when im in the mood to do it, im very hyper so my mind always wonders, i have about 4 sketchbooks and 3 drawings going at once. if i do airbrushing or painting i try and concentrait on it, but it never works, as u can figure with this condition i have many many unfinished pieces. but many many good ideas i want to see into finished products.

but some of my best stuff is done when i was up at 4 in the morning. or wake up at 2 with a idea that would ignite the world. :scream:

i keep a sketchbook and quickie supplies next to my bed, and i have lamp over head to sketch down a idea.

cha0t1c1
04-11-2005, 05:51 AM
I think I take the cake here ( :D ).
A car accident 4 years ago(which took two years to get back in art) left me paralysed from hands down(wrists move okay)...But allowed to observe weight ditribution alot more...
I'm also an insomniac with light A.D.D....
Oh I use a splint for the pen/pencil/brush....

LOL, told ya I take the cake.... :D

JA-forreal
04-11-2005, 06:05 AM
Way too much imagination.

Cicinimo
04-11-2005, 06:13 AM
I have hemophilia. When I was younger I wasn't able to be as physically active as other kids, and that led to more time inside with a pencil in hand. I'm proud to say I spent all those hours drawing. Though hemophilia is no fun, it very much pushed me towards my niche!

Beechdbum
04-11-2005, 07:22 AM
Ive got a small tremor in my hand. it forced me to get really loose with things like my gesture drawings and paintings. i would have to draw with my arm and and have much more sweeping motion then trying to draw with my wrist and get squiggly lines. and sense ive been at ringling and done nothing but draw all day long my hand is much steadier now and i need medicine only on a rare occasion. so i guess in this case art helps my condition as well. Ive got purposefull insomnia. i miss days of sleep to get work done here, and of course i had ADD at some point along the way but ive kinda got passed that at this point.

KronicSpeed
04-11-2005, 10:58 PM
I have easatropia in one of my eyes(means that the muscle is weak) so my left eye is my dominent eye. I think that it makes it easier the draw from real life because I see every thing in a sorta 2d perspective instead of using both eyes and seeing everything in a 3d perspective. then a few months ago i read that this is semi true and they did studies on it and found out certain renisaunt artist's have portraits of them selves with a lazy eye!!

ozhaver
04-12-2005, 12:42 AM
I have scotopic sensitivity which simply put is a sensitivy to contrast between white and black values. ie. Black text on white page... ..or say car headlights at night.

for example: When reading black text on super white pages I have to concentrate alot on reading becuase the contrast makes the text "pop" a little too much which is distracting. It's hard to explain exactly, but it almost makes it look like faint trails of the words moving around.

Not quite sure if it's helped or hurt me artistically. The only real problems I have with it are car headlights at night, which makes my vision distort slightly. And then the reading problem. Considering i went to school for graphic design, and frequently work with typography, it could be a problem, but i've always found that well designed typography is always easier on my eyes. So in actuallity it could help.

o_O I think I have this. I didn't know it was a condition...I conected it to my hypermetropy...which is at the point of eagle sight...and not that bad either, more of a slightly longer time (fractions of second) and concentration focusing on things inches from my face (I should consider snipping...LOL) I called it 3d-word-mighty-kookoo-headish-sight...so good, now it has a name.

As for insomnia, no, it doesn't help me- I can't paint if I am too tired, which by the way is my current problem... :sad:

unxeen
04-12-2005, 08:59 AM
i work so much better during at night. when i get into a nocturnal mood, i have much better concentration with my works. or when i'm sad thinking about a girl who i wish to be with, it inspires me to do art. not just visualy, but musicaly, lyricly, and poetically. i start to have great imagination inside my head. ;)

umbrellasky
04-23-2005, 08:17 AM
I'm another nocturnal person. I usually get onto the computer around 5pm but I don't get into my paintings until around 8 or 9 pm and I then find myself staying awake untill 11pm some times a little later.

I'm not the sort of person who will allow myself to stay up for any longer then 12:00 and night even if it is a weekend with no college the following day. I'm quite aware that I need sleep to keep healthy and I wouldn't want to make my self unwell no matter how desperate I am to finish a painting.

Lucky for me I don't have too many sleep problems and I want to keep it that way :D

Gord-MacDonald
05-07-2005, 03:07 AM
I'm deaf myself and I really do think it makes me more visually observant and I have powers of concentration like nothing else :D
Oh and before you ask, I DON'T sign. Plenty of deaf people don't sign! I have a cochlear implant and I was raised oral.
Hi Paperclip
Goya was also deaf - The acuity of his observations have been attibuted to his deafness - that intense light dark photojournalist look that some of his paintings have.

If I am going to be honest with myself - I am motivated by either intense pressure - like a deadline, or else on the extreme other hand, a sense that I have absolutely no obligations to anyone or anything - that I can do what I darn well please an it will not negatively impact anyone (thats a hard one these days - mortgage, family etc)

Competition can be good but also destructive. I wrote a little phrase, that I keep close to my workspace:
"never try to beat others at their game - just don't let them beat you at yours"

Gord

noen
05-07-2005, 04:15 AM

Exactly.

Lots of folks have done this. It's a great way to fake out the critical mind. Traditionally, people used drugs, alcohol and mental illness to achieve the same effect. I'm serious, I got a piece of my ear I'm giving to my therapist to prove it too. hehe ;)

Speaking of Mr van Gogh, he had a pratice of painting at a furious pace not because, it has been widely assumed, of his desparte mental condition. But as a deliberate stratgey for bypassing the super critical ego and gaining access to deeper parts of the mind. It worked too I'd say.

So try drawing faster than you think you can and ignore that voice screaming in the back there and only push yourself faster. Or slower, that works too. You can go into a trance-like state by boring the ego to death and so leave yourself free to create. So try drawing super super slow. Ego death, it's not just for breakfast anymore.

Whatever works for you.

ReK0
05-07-2005, 07:39 AM
i have no condition but factos i think that help are problably my gaming experience. Playing games so much has made my hand and eye coordination crazy good. I workout and am pretty big (buff?) so i have really good control over my muscles and how i move. This also helps when i look in the mirror and can easily tell what muscles do what.

paperclip
05-07-2005, 08:38 AM
Hi Paperclip
Goya was also deaf - The acuity of his observations have been attibuted to his deafness - that intense light dark photojournalist look that some of his paintings have.

Really?! I'm in good company then!
All I have to do is practice more....;)

I agree what you said about deadlines. The pressure and the removal of any procrastinating agents our brains might give us until then really help...like the M & S. I bet most people are leaving it until later to 'put the finishing touches' on, but that's hardly going to make it as good as it can be, is it?!

CCDrkNrgy
05-07-2005, 07:14 PM
I was diagnosed with severe depression and mood instability or cyclothymic, if you will. I find my dark, down moods increases my urge to create. When I'm up, or manic, I have too much energy to sit or stand in one place, so I used to paint two paintings at once. One painting was the real painting I was working hard on. The other was something to take my manic energy out on.

jmBoekestein
05-09-2005, 02:47 PM
I recognise the pattern...:D

Gord-MacDonald
05-09-2005, 03:30 PM
Really?! I'm in good company then!
All I have to do is practice more....;)

I agree what you said about deadlines. The pressure and the removal of any procrastinating agents our brains might give us until then really help...like the M & S. I bet most people are leaving it until later to 'put the finishing touches' on, but that's hardly going to make it as good as it can be, is it?!

Oh yeah I forgot to mention Beethoven - but we all knew about him :).

Gord

PS: I saw your photo on the cgsociety thread - its always nice to see face behind the avatar - and hey girl - you got looks as well as talent!!!

paperclip
05-09-2005, 03:40 PM
Beethoven...nup, never heard of him! (no pun intended!)

Beethoven and Helen Keller figured largely in any talks I was given by teachers in high school-- too bad they didn't mention Goya, I would have perked up! Fortunately, these talks are now a figure of the past...

as re: my pic :blush:aw, shucks.:D For some reason you look rather greek to me! (no idea why?!)

Gord-MacDonald
05-09-2005, 04:05 PM
Beethoven...nup, never heard of him! (no pun intended!)

Beethoven and Helen Keller figured largely in any talks I was given by teachers in high school-- too bad they didn't mention Goya, I would have perked up! Fortunately, these talks are now a figure of the past...

as re: my pic :blush:aw, shucks.:D For some reason you look rather greek to me! (no idea why?!)

better greek than geek? - sorry I coudn't resist :D

Actually alot of people think I look Mediterranean or Arab - esp when I still had alot of hair. Nope - just a dark haired Celt :)

Gord

paperclip
05-09-2005, 04:30 PM
MacDonald----> Scottish?

My great-grandfather was scottish actually...

paperclip
04-06-2006, 11:09 PM
I know this thread is kinda old but everyone had fun the first time around and we have a whole load of new people since then so how about it? :D

offbeatworlds
04-09-2006, 12:44 AM
I guess I am completely addicted to observation and study. I am seriously sitting in a movie and either admiring or dispising the lighting, hehe. I also love to learn new things, so I guess that helps too. I don't think I have any physical condition though...

Agamemnwn
04-10-2006, 11:33 PM
i have aupnia, so when i sleep i stop breathing . Say i sleep for 6-8 hours , that means i really slept for about 4 or less. plus i am cyclothimic i think or maybe its because i am a libra. either i am feeling great and seat hours on end and try to make everything perfect and i have the persistance and determination to seat on my pc and work or i feel like crap and i dont have the selfesteam and the patience to work on something and think it looks like crap . anyway need to work on that.

the good thing is i can breanstorm really easy. images and scenarios pop in my mind like crazy . maybe thats why my choise was logistics as my majors in mechanical enginnering.problemsolver and look att the big picture.

CGTalk Moderation
04-10-2006, 11:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.