PDA

View Full Version : FX Wars! Moonshot! Roux (Hard Science)

Roux
03-20-2005, 07:26 AM
Well, here goes nothing. I am doing mine based on the failed apollo mission 13. Except I plan to do it without the failure that occured. The mission will show what would have happened according to plan.

Here is the start of my modelling for the interior of the CM (Command Module).

Roux
03-20-2005, 11:54 AM
heres another small update:)

shivmoo
03-20-2005, 12:09 PM
wow... if you put this much detail into a small part of the ship... this is gonna rock..
good luck with it :)

Roux
03-20-2005, 12:25 PM
And A quick render. No textures yet.

I am thinking fairly detailed on the interior, even though it will only be a small part of the animation...

The exteriors will be fairly high in detail too but not down to the rivets like this:twisted:

Comments appreciated as always.

MandelbrotJr
03-20-2005, 04:37 PM
Looking good Roux. The only advice i have is to spread your efforts based on the amount on time than the object will be on cam. You don't want to spend too much time modelling an object that will apear for just a second.
My grain of salt :)

RoShin
03-21-2005, 02:03 AM
I can't wait to see the finished product. With the level of detail you are playing with it should be something really spectacular.:thumbsup:

Roux
03-21-2005, 09:04 AM
shivmoo (http://www.cgtalk.com/member.php?u=152659): Thanks, let's hope work doesn't get in the way this time:scream:

MandelbrotJr: Thanks. Those were my initial thoughts but what I'm thinking of will involve this section up close and personal so a straight texture map won't cut it:twisted:
I also hope to use this one for something more when I'm done.

Roshin: Shut up and get back to modelling:D

Anyways, enough chat.....back to it. More posts soon.

Roux
03-26-2005, 03:42 PM
Hi all.

Haven't disappeared yet, just busy doing some tests with smoke. I think I have nearly conquered lightwave hypervoxels:) . All the moke I have seen so far looks good by looking at the refs and photos etc, the light given off by the rockets is so great that the smoke is always illuminated from the center.

So tweek and test tweek and test. Here's what I have so far.

Ignore the models and poor composite. I will be replacing the entire scene with 3D except for the sky matte. Things I want to fix with the smoke : reduce the speed of the turbulence effect and extend the life of the smoke so it doesn't die out before the end of the shot. I also need to slow down those few particles that are traveling too fast and causing those flashes.

http://www.villagefx.com.au/mxl/launch_test2.wmv

http://www.villagefx.com.au/mxl/launch_test.mov

http://www.villagefx.com.au/mxl/launchsmoke.jpg

The competition is amazing as usual but I'm sticking with this one.

shivmoo
03-26-2005, 04:12 PM
that smoke is awesome... looks a bit uniform tho.. as in all going the same way---

and your right about it needing to last longer....
nice sounds :thumbsup:

its going well

RoShin
03-29-2005, 10:11 AM
Sorry Massa, just don't beat me with the whip no more Massa... Looks great BTW!

Roux
03-30-2005, 10:46 AM
I haven't died (as far as I know anyways.) Still working on models, getting the effects to look right, modelling and of course texturing.

Here is a small preview of shot 2 (sorry about the green screen but I think you can guess what goes behind it:) ) Only the 1st stage is almost complete in this model.

Roux
04-04-2005, 02:55 PM
Some small updates. Still working on the launchpad and more detailed modelling.

have also started animating ready for final model replacements. tick tick tick....

Here is stage one with preliminary textures - still some more detail to add

http://www.villagefx.com.au/Gall_pics/stage1_topcomp.jpg
http://www.villagefx.com.au/Gall_pics/stage1comp.jpg

will post more soon.

Roux
04-04-2005, 02:59 PM
forgot to post my earth shots :D

http://www.villagefx.com.au/Gall_pics/earth.jpg
http://www.villagefx.com.au/Gall_pics/earth001.jpg

Roux
04-09-2005, 07:16 AM
No comments at all?:eek:
Oh well, I'll keep plugging away at it then.....

Roux
04-09-2005, 11:19 AM
I have been working on improving the smoke / steam from the launch. Here's where I'm at so far. The flames will be a separate pass and don't appera in these shots.

The modelling is still going - the launch pad and tower are all mesh. Still have to complete the crane and the swing arms on the LUT.

Also trying to find some more ref for the command module at launch. It seems to be covered in some protective packing ?

Comments / suggestions anyone :shrug:

Daniel-B
04-09-2005, 09:26 PM
That's looking very good. However, you need to have the steam have less noise. It looks too busy. Needs to be slightly more blobby.

But other than that, fantastic job.

Roux
04-10-2005, 02:52 AM
Thanks PixelMagic. I agree with you totally. I am not having a great deal of success though.:sad:

I think my limited skills with hv's and the inherent shortcomings of Lightwave hyper-voxels (volumetrics) are going to limit how far I can go with this.
Any lightwave HV gurus out there willing to lend a hand?

Roux
04-10-2005, 02:58 AM
Oh forgot to mention, the launchpad and tower were based on a mesh from IvortheEngine from LWG. They actually represent the modern shuttle pad> I am using them as partial reference and gradually replacing them with my own mesh. The Tower is all mine and the pad is about 60%complete. I will post wires for comparison when done.

RoShin
04-10-2005, 12:25 PM
Hey buddy. Love the work so far. I would try and ramp down the luminosity a little on the earth shots and try and remove some of the gloss, other than that looks good. I like the colour tones. Love the smoke and steam, did you manage to ramp up the particle life for the animation? I am really looking forward to seeing the whole launch sequence.:thumbsup:

Roux
04-10-2005, 01:04 PM
Thanks dude.

I see what you mean with the earth shots. Just prelim renders for the moment anyways. Easy to change.
I hope you're busy modelling and not just crusing the net ;-)

Roux
04-10-2005, 02:57 PM
Alittle more modelling on the rocket details. Here is the untextured almost complete escape tower and capsule.

Daniel-B
04-10-2005, 09:40 PM
That forth smoke picture looks really good. However, you now need to put just a LITTLE bit more noise back into the smoke. Then you will have it perfectly.

Roux
04-11-2005, 10:14 AM
Thanks. I think 75% of the forth image and 25% of the previous settings. Although, I have lost the ambient light thats seen through the cloud when the rocket is on the pad. All the ref shots show a clear yellow/orange glow. More tweaking I guess :)

Roux
04-17-2005, 01:37 PM
Argghhhhh! I hate hypervoxels. That small change has taken hours of tweeking but no improvement in the smoke noise yet:scream: I don't think that hypervoxels and the words "LITTLE change" go together at all.

Anyway before I went insane, I started on my models for the very first shot of the sequence. There are some floors in the models and some details that need to be corrected but nothing that will be too noticable. Thoughts?

http://www.villagefx.com.au/Gall_pics/longhall_2_compwb.jpg

jigu
04-17-2005, 01:45 PM
well roux ur last set is really looking good!!but i m not getting what do u gonna do with this set in moonshot?

Roux
04-17-2005, 01:59 PM
Thanks. Seeing as I chose Apollo 13, my guys don't get to land on the moon so I thought I would do something a little extra to make up for it.:) I also tend to get carried away when I have time to work on a personal project instead of the usual hum drum stuff.

I'm working on the characters at the moment.

RoShin
04-18-2005, 01:50 AM
Picture perfect. (As usual for you). Hope you are going to fix the fire extinguisher though. Looks like a suppository. Hey what do you know, I pre-empted your reply to me:rolleyes:. INSERT comment here:applause:.

This is going to be a great short flic, I figure you must be getting, oh an hour of sleep a night. Cut back on that and you should be finished quicker. You know I love your work:thumbsup:.

Roux
04-19-2005, 11:52 AM
Hope you are going to fix the fire extinguisher though. Looks like a suppository.

Hey RoShin! Good job on the spelling. I know you struggle with big words.:) Yep it does look kinda like a suppository! Perhaps you would like instructions on how to use one.....:twisted: Although it appears a little large for normal folk...

Progress is going on slowly (my assistant modeller is a slack B@#$#%*) but I plan to continue this one to the finish (I know I said that with the last one) but this one is going somewhere I think.

the_jigu: Sorry forgot to explain that the set is the passage that the astronauts walk down after suiting up for the launch.

Roux
04-27-2005, 03:05 PM
Uh, sorry guys but it looks like this one is going to die a slow death too. Busy rendering architecturals in a effort to secure a new job:) Hopefully I can get back to it seriously for the weekend but not sure just yet.

It has been fun so far anyway. Thank you

CGTalk Moderation
04-27-2005, 03:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.