PDA

View Full Version : Composit/Demo: Whats that on my desk!? (watch the reflections)

MasterZap
09-23-2002, 08:27 PM
I'm playing around with my little chrome mapping plugin (http://www.master-zap.com/chrome/) for 3DS Max and made a short (100 frames, whoo-hoo :) ) composit of a little robot on my desk whos reflections come from a lightprobe (chrome sphere) picture and run thru the plugin.

Comments appreciated.

Click to see (DIVX AVI, 1.6 meg) (http://www.lysator.liu.se/~zap/tipp-divx.avi)

Also those who missed it, see www.kidwars.com for more (and maybe better) examples of the chrome mapping.

/Z

slaughters
09-23-2002, 09:00 PM
Sorry
The resource requested (/~zap/tipp-divx.avi) cannot be found.

MasterZap
09-23-2002, 09:11 PM
Ah...... silly me. Fixed now. :)

/Z

sci_fi_808b
09-23-2002, 09:21 PM
I think the motion is great! The compositing is also good. Please try some textures or redesigning the head of your bot! I think that it is too simple for those kool legs you have going on!
Best
sci_fi_808b
:thumbsup:
Congratulate...Don't Player Hate!

wedge
09-23-2002, 09:53 PM
looks very good! the only thing i dont like is when you move your hand away, my brain thinks the bot should get a bit lighter because your hand is no longer casting a shadow on it...

aazimkhan
09-24-2002, 01:32 AM
that cool, really good comp..nice reflections...i like the shadow of the robo on the live stuff, even the animation is good....just the kind of stuff i like to do......

:thumbsup:

facial
09-24-2002, 02:35 AM
:thumbsup: It is not bad so far. keep post up. :thumbsup:
this is my latest work, tell me u feeling.
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20613

maxtor
09-24-2002, 02:45 AM
Very nice work.....one comment though....I find the left leg looks a little to close in relation to the phone at the beginning.....other than that

Fantastic

MasterZap
09-24-2002, 01:40 PM
The compositing is also good. Please try some textures or redesigning the head of your bot! I think that it is too simple for those kool legs you have going on!

Yes, I know, the head was a quick hack and I've planned more... its really just a model I threw in to test the compositing/lighting/reflection stuff.

the only thing i dont like is when you move your hand away, my brain thinks the bot should get a bit lighter because your hand is no longer casting a shadow on it

True! The lighting reference comes from a photo of a chrome sphere (actually, christmas ornament) from a STILL FRAME shot BEFORE that short sequence w. me removing the hand. Thats why neither lighting nor reflexes respond to the changing condition of my hand moving away.

However if you can do *video* for the "chrome map" you CAN get this, check out www.kidwars.com when I turn the lamp on and the tube blinks... the lighting on the robot head blinks corretctly and in sync.

that cool, really good comp..nice reflections...i like the shadow of the robo on the live stuff, even the animation is good....just the kind of stuff i like to do......

Well some of the shadoes are kinda wierd.... there is a ton of lamps whos lighting is also based on the chrome photo so it "should" be "accurate", but I think there are too few lights and the photo isn't HDRI so some get more influence than they should... so there is one shadow onto the keypad-thingy which I dont like....

Very nice work.....one comment though....I find the left leg looks a little to close in relation to the phone at the beginning.....other than that

No that should work... however there is a lot of DOF in the original photo and that leg should be as blurry as the keypad (its not a phone, btw, its a labelling machine) at that point. The blurs dont match since I rendered it w. a static blur and not a DOF just to "sorta kinda" match the blurs.

The thing is that the entire composit is done *inside* of 3DS Max, i.e. no after-effects or anything on it.

/Z

oxygen_77
09-24-2002, 02:37 PM
very cute little animation. I liked the movement, but maybe it should seem a bit more childlike with the robot leaning in farther and almost losing balance.

lude
09-24-2002, 05:50 PM
Ho hoo! Kidwars är ju lätt den bästa fanfilm jag sett hittintills! Jag skrattade gott!

lude

Gentle Fury
09-25-2002, 07:47 AM
only a few problems. One, the film grain added to it moves in a very odd pattern so it is very inconsistent and kinda distracting. and two, you didnt deinterlace your video!:shame: When the hand moves away an interlaced shadow can be seen behind the lil robot guy. Just a few lil things to remember when compositing!

Otherwise, great work!

Happy Rendering!!

MasterZap
09-25-2002, 09:14 AM
Well my normal camera (Canon MV30i, known as "Optura Pi" in the US) was on service, so I had to dig out my old analog Hi8 to do that. Hence it was interlaced, and that "odd grain pattern" is actually not added, it's some sort of wierd interference getting into my ANALOG capture.

So both items were "known". Thanks for the comment!

I just got my digital cam back this morn' so I'm gonna make a way more exciting clip now. Stay tuned :)

/Z

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.