PDA

View Full Version : AICN: Star Wars: A New Hope in 3D?

RobertoOrtiz
03-19-2005, 12:46 AM
Quotes:

"Lucas is on a crusade to bring 3-D to theaters everywhere, and not just in a "Comin' At Ya" novelty sort of way. We're talking quality movies presented in 3-D through digital projection"

" And this is where the highlight of ShoWest 2005 came into play. Lucas and Cameron presented a couple of promo reels demonstrating digital 3-D. Included--the first eight minutes of A New Hope transferred into the 3-D format. What can I tell you? No words can describe it. The quality of what we saw was staggering. In many ways, it looked better than the standard 2-D print. In addition, we were treated to numerous 3-D transferred scenes including Attack of the Clones, Lilo and Stitch, and a couple of quick scenes from Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings. It was absolute breathtaking, and I'm still sort of reeling from it."

AICN LINK (http://www.aintitcoolnews.com/display.cgi?id=19681)

AWN Confirmation (http://news.awn.com/index.php?ltype=top&newsitem_no=13364)

TetraLynx
03-19-2005, 01:01 AM
I'm reminded of the Jaws 3D thing in Back to the Future 2. *grin* I hope it doesn't take too many years for this technology to make it's way into the marketplace.:bounce:

BillSpradlin
03-19-2005, 01:27 AM
That's what James Cameron has been doing for the past couple of years, filming underwater adventures to show in 3D on Imax. From what he said in an interview not too long ago, he wants to bring back the reason people go to the theater in the first place: to have an experience they can't have at home. The new 3D technology for theaters is pretty incredible and I think it could be a nice push to see some really great things happen. Only time will tell however.

heavyness
03-19-2005, 01:37 AM
finally, someone is making it FUN to go see a movie again! i pay almost 10 bucks a ticket, so having it in 3D would make it worth it.

t-toe
03-21-2005, 02:22 AM
it's an interesting idea... but... 3D? I thought it didn't catch on all those years ago... why are they trying it again?

Berserga
03-24-2005, 04:48 AM
The technology is better now. The digital 3d beats the hell out of the paper red and blue glasses of Yor. (Saw some demo at a science center.) I can't even watch spykid's 3d on DVD it hurts my eyes... Probably cuz the Upstairs DVD player is a piece of crap tho. :D

Virum
03-24-2005, 06:43 AM
How does digital 3D differ from that weird glasses stuff?

Berserga
03-24-2005, 02:33 PM
I don't know ANYTHING about the technology, but the glasses were like electronic. It is a very dim memory as it was some time ago.

CGTalk Moderation
03-24-2005, 02:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.