PDA

View Full Version : Is command line rendering for maya on the mac unstable? METHINKS YES!! :(

Wes_Brown
03-18-2005, 08:06 PM
Ok. Have you guys ever had your scene simply not render throught the command line? The renderer starts, the file gets read but then it just stops with no error message and returns me to the command line. I have tried EVERYTHING I know how to do from importing the file into a new scene to deleting cameras etc etc....

BTW, it renders fine from within the software.

This is truly madening and I am at my wits end. Has anyone ever experienced this before? Is maya on the mac just REALLY buggy?

Help please! :(

Thanks in advance,
Wes

futbol
03-19-2005, 12:40 AM
Hi Dan,

I'm experiencing something similar, except I'm working on PC's. I'm using mental ray, render layers, and referencing. I've noticed that I can render from the command line just fine if I'm not using render layers, but I need to have render layers turned on. I'm initiating my renders on a 10 node renderfarm by using .bat files (executable files on windows -- I'm a mac user at home and .bat files are a bit different on *NIX).

I actually posted my question earlier today here and on highend 3d. I'm using maya 6.0.1 with the mental ray plug-in. I've noticed that my referenced geometry carries in its own renderLayerManager and defaultRenderLayer nodes, and I'm wondering if that's causing the problem with render layers turned on. But like I said, same problem...rendering starts, and then politely exits without making a single frame. I've turned on the verbose flag to level 6 (the highest), but hasn't helped diagnose the problem. I've tried the same with making new cameras, etc, and I can render the scene with Render layers turned on from within maya just fine.

For some reason i don't think your problem has to do with the mac. Are you using the maya renderer?

Wes_Brown
03-21-2005, 05:17 PM
Yes, it is the maya renderer. You are probably right as I think I have seen this on a pc before. I guess I could try mental ray but I have about 200 tif files most with lzw compression that stops mental-ray in its tracks. (I was trying to avoid going into photoshop and doing that but oh well!)

futbol
03-21-2005, 07:16 PM
Hey Dan,
I'm not sure if you have graphic converter, but you can set up an easy batch process and it will convert all your textures to tiff's without compression if you set it up that way.

Good Luck

CGTalk Moderation
03-21-2005, 07:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.