PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop Toolset

Mocachu
03-18-2005, 02:49 PM
Hi there, i'm trying to make a "dencent" toolset for drawing / painting with photoshop. The idea is to make a group of tools like u can do in painter so u got all the tool presets by hand without having to change the brush and loosing time. The idea is to have a few presets like "2b pencil", "watercolor", "pantone planar marker"... etc.
Here's my very first try to do the toolset, feel free to try it.
By the way, I can't do a decent blender like painter's blender :banghead: , any idea?. In my toolset I had created 4 variants, but they don't work as i'd like to.
Cheers!

(sorry about my english :rolleyes: )

macling
03-18-2005, 04:10 PM
Thanks for sharing your tools ;)

Blending: Are you using Photoshop CS or even 7?
The Healing Brush does a good job with Use Pattern enabled. You can place a 200x200 px Texture with black'n white cloudeffekt on very low contrast. Or even a plain color texture to get totally clean blends.
I used to paint with chalk traditionally and I feel at home with this techinque.
It feels like painting with real chalk and using cloth to "smear" a blend.

Mocachu
03-18-2005, 04:59 PM
Thx 4 the reply. I'm using PS 7. What I want is a realtime brush like painter one so I can get a blending like drawing with a 2b pencil for example and a pencil blender like a "Difumino" (http://www.todoart.com/difu.jpg). I'd like a digital version of this tool from the image (I don't know the name of the tool in english, sorry).
I'll go on with the toolsets and maybe I'll upload it if u want it.
Cheers!

BTW, nice tecnique:thumbsup: (but i want a realtime one :twisted: )

macling
03-18-2005, 06:18 PM
Yeah go on uploading your brushes...I like them

What do you mean by realtime? The Healing Brush is realtime, isn't it?
Ok...maybe less a second takes the redraw.

mdwsr
03-18-2005, 06:48 PM
Thanks for sharing your tools ;)

Blending: Are you using Photoshop CS or even 7?
The Healing Brush does a good job with Use Pattern enabled. You can place a 200x200 px Texture with black'n white cloudeffekt on very low contrast. Or even a plain color texture to get totally clean blends.
I used to paint with chalk traditionally and I feel at home with this techinque.
It feels like painting with real chalk and using cloth to "smear" a blend.

macling - can you describe this technique a little more please?

Mocachu
03-18-2005, 07:07 PM
Hi Mdwsr, the Macling's technique is quite easy. Just create a new document 200 by 200 pixels, all white, then select all and via edit menu, create a new pattern. Later create another document, any resolution u want, draw anything u want to be "blur-ed" and select with the patch tool the zone u want to blur, then up, in the tool options, select pattern and apply the before created pattern and... done!!
Cheers!
(Any idea about the blender? :cry: )

mdwsr
03-18-2005, 07:48 PM
Thanks Mocachu, sorry I didn't try to answer your question. A difumo in english is "stump", or "tortillion".

You might try some of the Faux Finish brushes or Dry Media brushes. There are some there that will act like blenders, try a low opacity and see how it works for you.

Mocachu
03-18-2005, 09:11 PM
Oh, thx I'll try. :thumbsup:

mdwsr
03-19-2005, 02:03 AM
Ahaa! I finally remembered how I was blending the other day. I got out an image I was working on and had to try a jillion things before I got it right. Use the smudge tool, then change the brush to suit your needs. I used a dry brush set at 70% strength for my purpose but an air brush gives much smoother effects. In fact, I just tried a soft round air brush and it works great. Both these brushes are in the default set.

BeckyWC
03-19-2005, 03:19 AM
Mocachu, I downloaded the zip file. But winzip says it is an invalid zip file and I was unable to check out your tool set.

Mocachu
03-19-2005, 01:34 PM
BeckyWC, the file I updated was compresed in a mac, maybe that's the matter. Here u got the same toolbox file but this time compresed in a PC.

Mdwsr, thx again. I will try in a few minutes xd.

Btw, I found a program called Photoline. Smart, fine and cheap, maybe u wanna give it a try www.pl32.com.

Cheers!

(I just signed on icq, if want u can add me)

Mocachu
03-19-2005, 02:13 PM
mdwsr, U GOT IT !!

I just tried what u said and IT WORKS!! (with a little changes :p ). It's not perfect, but it's near to what I want.

Here's the 0.2 version of the tool set hahahah!

Thanks a lot Mdwsr !. :applause:

...I'll go on working to next release ^_^.

BeckyWC
03-19-2005, 06:13 PM
I am really interested in trying your toolsets but when I try to unzip the file I get the error below:

"error: start of central directory not found; Zip file corrupt. Possible cause: File transfer error.
Thanks

Mocachu
03-19-2005, 06:57 PM
Sorry BeckyWc, I think I can't do anything more. I've tried to upload the file uncompressed but the file size is longer than cgtalk server allows me to upload. If u want , I can send it to you by email, for example. I u don't wanna give me your mail address here because of privacity, just feel free to send me a mail to mocachu@gmail.com and I'll reply it and I'll send u the file. ;)

Btw, I found a post about a Goro's tutorial and I see he doesn't uses blenders, just a smooth brush as he paints over the painting, not doing smoothings as I usually do. :banghead:

U can find it here http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=200222&highlight=goro+jungle

Thanks Goro !!

Ops!, I uploaded to PS CS.

Cheers!

Mocachu
03-20-2005, 11:51 AM
Due to space limitations in cgtalk server, I've deleted the previus versions of the toolsets leaving only the last version (0.2) uploaded.

Cheers!

CGTalk Moderation
03-20-2005, 11:51 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.