PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave Screamer Questions

disdain
02-12-2002, 09:16 PM
Hello,

I am fairly new to Lightwave and have the luxory of working at a computer shop which allows me to get my hands on several second hand machines.

I have recently setup a small 3 node rendering network using Lightwaves internal ScreamerNet II and was wondering if there was any difference between rendering with this method rather than directly through lightwave.

Aside from the obvious benifit of speed, are there any dis-advantages or features which are not supported by this rendering setup.

My second question might be better suited for the hardware forum so forgive me if I am a little off topic.

My main machine is a Dual PIII/866, I remeber reading somewhere that you should run a sperate screamer node for each processor.

Does anyone know if this /really/ gives better performace?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks - dis

polarman3d
02-15-2002, 12:42 AM
I actually use ScreamerNet to render almost all of my animations. I've noticed a substantial impact on render time (for the good). The only thing that I've had difficulty with is getting all the nodes on other machines to recognize the Content Directory and all the plug-in files across the network. But, if worse comes to worse, I just render using the two procs on my system (each proc assigned to an instance of ScreamerNet) and that is faster.

I hope this helps. ...sorry if it doesn't! :)

disdain
02-15-2002, 03:48 AM
Thanks, I'll have to do a few benchmarks myself.

I'm running a PC platform with mapped drives and have had no problems so far with the content directories. I usually look over the scene file in a text editor before hand to make sure all the paths are correct.

Thanks - Dis

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.