PDA

View Full Version : How to get job as Concept Artist?

Cman
03-17-2005, 10:23 PM
My gf and I are going to Siggraph this year.
She is interested in seeking employment as concept artist/character designer, etc

Any suggestions on the best way to go about it?

Thanks.

CodeNothing
03-17-2005, 10:27 PM
I got my concept job with my website. I sent out an e-mail to about 50 companies with a link to my site. Only 3 contacted me back and one hired me full time!

vrf
03-18-2005, 01:25 AM
Be very talented, and have a wonderful portfolio to prove it. Otherwise, choose a different career.

Kanga
03-18-2005, 06:09 AM
'How to get a job in computer animation' Ed Harriss (google)

Very inexpensive book covering all aspects including strategies of how to conduct yourself and attack Siggraph. Up to date and invaluable.

MrFreeman
03-18-2005, 08:13 AM
It's not easy as there are a lot of talented people out there.

Best way is to build up a great portfolio of work showing a variety of styles, though aimed at whatever industry you want to get in to (games, features, etc.). Having a good website is also vital as well as joining sites where you can promote your work.

I started as a broadcast designer and changed direction late in life, but have got a lot of work thanks to placing work on this site and entering the challenges that occur every few months.

it only takes a few people to notice your work and once you've got a few jobs under your belt, you never look back.....A lot of it is down to luck, but anything is possible!!! :)

CGTalk Moderation
03-18-2005, 08:13 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.