PDA

View Full Version : Noob full of determination

bassanimation
03-17-2005, 11:18 PM
Hello everyone,
I have always known about this form, but I've never signed up. My work is pretty subpar when compared to most of you on here, but I've got an axe to grinde...with Painter...so here I am to grinde away!

Im fairly profficient in Photoshop, with vector being my fortι. Illustrator is my #1 program. However, Im getting really agitated with seeing so many awesome artists (some of who are mere children!) turning out GREAT pieces using Painter..when I cant even get a brush to work for me :(. I keep trying, but so far, no luck. I love Hyung Tae Kim's work. My friends and I have been trying to study his work and see how he does it. I've also been looking at the comic, Megacity 909, where he has some step by steps in the back. He makes it look so easy, from the very start of his paintings everything seems to just blend and go. I cant get a brush to do that to save my life :\. I've looked at tutorials, but so far I havent found many good ones explaing which brushes to use, and which settings work for them. What I wouldnt give for a Painter class....-_-;;

So here I am. This program is not going to get the best of me. Being a full time production artist, and having over 5 yrs of experience, I shouldn't be having as hard a time as I am. Im a gonna do it if it's the last thing I do. I hope to get to talk to a bunch of you and make new friends, and get some much much MUCH needed help with everything, especially Painter..with it's difficult, fussy self. Thanks for reading!

jamacsween
03-18-2005, 10:56 AM
Hi there and welcome to the forum.

I know where you are coming from and wish you the very best in your painterly challenges. I too am a big fan of Hyung Tae Kim and was interested to hear that he has some tutorials in Megacity 909 comic. Never heard of it, any particular issues I should get a hold of?

I too have recently bought painter 9 (though a mixup in ebay bidding means I have two full licenses now :shrug: !!) and am dead keen to get to grips with it. Only done pencil art to date but want to start adding a splash of colour.

I like your stuff on deviant art and note you are looking for specific painter tuts. I've got the book http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1584503408/ on order from Amazon and its supposed to be very good. Will let you know how it helps me, a noob, how I get on. Apparently the cd has movies of all the examples being drawn in realtime and think it is painter specific too.

Anyhow welcome

JA

Jinbrown
03-18-2005, 11:55 AM
jamacsween,

The book you linked to on the Amazon site is:

Digital Character Design and Painting: The Photoshop CS Edition by Don Seegmiller

I think you might mean this one:

Digital Character Design and Painting by Don Seegmiller (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1584502320/qid=1111146516/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_0_3/202-0233496-1943825)

jamacsween
03-18-2005, 12:02 PM
Jinny,

Many thanks and you are of course corect. Cold sweat as I checked the order but this is the one ordered however messed up the link somehow.

Thanks for the correction...

Best rgds

JA

bassanimation
03-18-2005, 07:22 PM
Hi Jinny and Jamacsween,
thanks for your help, and I will definately check out these books! I had read a thread about them last night and Im really interested in seeing what they have to offer. Thanks for the complients as well! Im trying my best to improve every day.

Jinny,
It's really too bad your classes are so limited. I would love to sign up, it would be so great to actually have a class on Painter! Any chance of you opening up registration for people who arent students? Im actually very serious about learning the program...very serious..it is now my demon that I might fight with. I lay in bed at night and go over "why's" and "how can I possibly's" every night. My friends and boyfriend (who are all also very talented professionals) and I are all messing with the program, so hopefully between the four of us we can figure something out.

I've been reading so many posts here, and it's very interesting so far... I would reply to more, but Im going to hang back and watch the nature of the forum a little more. So many professionals! I feel so lame...as my work is very cartoony (I do cartoon illustration from 9-5 ;)), and very juvenile Im sure to most of you ^^;. But, that's why Im here, I have aspirations to improve my personal art. I had a ton of questions about where to get brushes, as I think if I had some preset brushes that were like, ready to go, I could get farther along, but I guess I need to start out on the ground floor. Thanks everyone, and I hope CGTalk will allow me more freedom soon!

Lunatique
03-19-2005, 07:38 AM
You might want to read the Painter Tips & Tricks page I have: http://www.ethereality.info/ethereality_website/goodies/goodies.htm

Also, for highly detailed step-by-step of how to use brushes to render a polished look, plus many other cool tips for digital painting in both Painter and Photoshop, you should take a look at d'artiste: http://www.ballisticpublishing.com/books/dartiste_digital_painting/

Jinbrown
03-21-2005, 10:41 AM
Shawnna,

My classes aren't limited at all. It's just that there are no classes open for enrollment right now.

When I was able to teach, the entire series of classes covered three months and gave students a basic understanding of the program on which to build on their own or with other artists.

The very reason I closed new registrations is that managing them was keeping me from other things like writing class materials and personal commitments.

If you read the TutorAlley Forums Registration and Membership Requirements linked on the main TutorAlley page at http://www.tutoralley.com you probably know that I screen every new registration.

It was taking me up to four hours a day what with people who either didn't read those requirements or didn't choose to fill out the profile fields properly, corresponding back and forth to help them get it right. Too often, the person wasn't at all serious about learning Painter and either didn't stick around or didn't participate, just lurked. Sometimes, people registered and entered completely useless stuff in the profile fields, like "abcedfg" or "xxxxx" or "n/a", then got nasty when I declined their registrations.

I just can afford to spend that amount of time and energy so until I have some classes ready to go, new registrations will remain closed. Even then, if people want to take classes, they're going to have to complete some information before they can use the site either for classes or as non student members.

In any case, I sounds to me like you want to learn how to use Painter's brushes more than you want to learn the program overall. Brushes you can learn by using them, reading the User Guide or Help > Help Topics, and just practicing.

The handful of artists people most often ask about here use, coincidentally, a handful of brush variants, and those are very simple ones.

Practice is going to teach you more about Painter's brushes than any class will teach you.

Not that I'd mind teaching you Painter, but since I can't right now and what you seem to want is to learn how to use Painter's brush variants, my advice is to become very familiar with them:

• Open a large white Canvas and, beginning at the top of the brush category list, test each brush variant until you've tested them all.

• Take notes when you find something you like.

• Take notes when you have questions so you can be very specific.

• Study the Brush Controls palettes or the Brush Creator, Stroke Designer tab's sections and adjust the sliders up and down while testing brushstrokes, to learn why certain brush variants work the way they do.

• Work the tutorials on the Corel Painter IX website (follow all of the links) and any you find in the Corel Painter IX newsletter, "The Painter Canvas".

Corel Painter IX Website (http://www.corel.com/painterix)

Corel Painter IX Newsletter, "The Painter Canvas" (http://www.corel.com/painterix/community/newsletter.html)

• Work the Painter 8 tutorials on this page too:

Corel Painter 8 Tutorials (http://Corel%20Painter%208%20Tutorials)

• Again, make the User Guide and/or Help > Help Topics your friend. Read, read, read, and bookmark pages in Help > Help Topics so you can return to them easily when you need a refresher. This will both help you learn Painter terminology and help you learn where information is to be found when you need it.

bassanimation
03-21-2005, 05:27 PM
Hello Jinny,
thanks for the advice. I must have misunderstood the registration process on Tutoralley. I read through, but I got the impression the classes were very limited and you must be invited by yourself, or your professor via yourself? (feels dumb)

And, actually, the brushes in Painter are just my first interest, as I am an illustrator at heart. Part of the problem Im having with the program is the UI, there are so many options, so many places to look, that I literally just dont know where to start. I also know Painter can do a good many awesome things. I used 5 briefly in art school, and it clearly showed a great expanse of tools. It's just..learning to use those tools is very trying ^^; I will take your advice though and just piddle with the program. Even now I have been trying to mess with it, but some things just arent working, etc, which I will ask about in a different thread shortly.

Lunatique, thank you for your references! Im really glad to be here and have the ability to get to talk to some real pros ^_^

bassanimation
03-21-2005, 05:46 PM
PS: Lunatique, THANK YOU! I have been waiting for this book for a while! I had seen a page about it but I dont think it was available at the time. I cant wait to get it! So beautiful, I can only imagine what it would be like to paint something even 1/3 as fine *_* I will be ordering today!

Lunatique
03-22-2005, 01:48 PM
I hope you'll like the book. I think everyone who contributed did a great job, and there are some really nice invited artists pieces too. If you still have questions after going through the book, feel free to ask.

CGTalk Moderation
03-22-2005, 01:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.