PDA

View Full Version : Painter doesn't start!

unwrap
03-17-2005, 08:29 PM
Hi. I've been using Corel Painter Classic for a while which came as a bundle with a tablet Wacom Volito. I've been using it on my older system Pentium 4, 768MB of RAM and WinXP PRO.

On my newer system, which is AMD64, 1GB of RAM and WinXP PRO SP2, Painter doesn't start. It says "Not enough free memory to run Painter". How can that be?

Fahrija
03-17-2005, 10:20 PM
Hi,

there was a thread a while ago dealing with this topic.

Donīt ask me why but it seems that older painter versions do not work if memory goes over a certain amount and your new computer has 1GB Ram.

If it really is due to the ram you can test it by taking out one of your memory cartridges or if you donīt want to touch your hardware you can lower your memory settings.

If you want to work with your 1GB ram it unfortunately looks like you have to upgrade your painter version.

Thatīs what I know about this problem.

regards
fahrija

nafa
03-18-2005, 12:21 AM
This guy gdepeute (http://www.tek-tips.com/userinfo.cfm?member=gdepeute) claimed that he has a fix for the problem. See the thread:

http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=535576&page=1

I cannot atest to the solution as I do not have the problem.

Sequent
03-18-2005, 03:39 AM
This was something that was an issue back in the days of Painter 4/5 and affected some of the other MetaC apps too, including (if I remember correctly) Poser and Bryce.

I thought this problem had more to do with virtual memory rather than the physical memory. I have an old copy of Painter 3D and Poser 3 and they seem to be running fine with 1 gig of physical RAM installed.

But I think you need to lower your virtual memory to under 1024. I have mine set to 1023. Actually, I have mine set not to fluctuate... e.g. min = 1023 and max = 1023 because I'm also running audio and didn't want it to be adjusting all the time.

If you're running 1 gig of physical RAM, I think you should be okay in terms of not needing the virtual to be set quite so high. Well, it's another possible solution rather than having to pull memory chips.

unwrap
03-18-2005, 09:13 AM
Thanks guys. I turned off the swap file (aka paging) and Painter now starts. I thought I'll have problems with Corel Draw but it also works fine (cuz a while ago, when I turned off the swap file, Corel9 refused to work, I guess the newer version of Corel doesn't have that problem). I guess one day I will have to turn it back on, if I'll have to I'll make it lower than 1GB like you suggested. I'm also looking forward to upgrading my RAM to 2GB =) , I guess then windows will not have any need for swap files.

Thanks,
sergage!

gdepeute
03-22-2005, 07:23 AM
The whole point of writing a "fix" for the problem was that I wouldn't have to change my swapfile just to run Painter Classic.
So instead of lowering your Virtual Memory, you can run Painter using the fix I posted here http://dev.depeuter.org (souce code included, just in case you want to build it yourself)

As mentioned by 'Sequent', the problem also exists in Poser 4 (it seems like all old metacreations application with an old ASI32_12.dll file suffer from the problem). Because I saw the problem was in that dll, I also posted a binary fix (change 1 character in the dll) that resolves your problem.

Hope this helps,
-- Geert

CGTalk Moderation
03-22-2005, 07:23 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.