PDA

View Full Version : It is my first post , i hope it works

Niko tade
09-23-2002, 11:23 AM
Hi my name is Niko. I have a hardware question .
I have an old pc . 633 celeron , 128 ram , voodoo 3 . When i use my 3d program (max) in a complex scene ( a lot of polygons) it starts moving very slow (the objects and everything) . Which piece of hardware will make that faster ? the graphics card ? or the memory and cpu ? Ofcource it would be best to change all of them but i can't economicaly. And i don't care about rendering time because i will render at my university computers....
Thank you

derelict
09-24-2002, 01:43 AM
Hi
If you're using the older version of max, maybe you can still manage it but the vga card needs to be upgraded first.

No, no take that all back. What you need is a brand new computer. Period.

Celeron = not a good processor for 3d.

Voodoo = don't have the benchmark for 3d apps.

IF you are really serious in 3d you really need to get a new box or you might totally loose interest in 3d due to your current constrains. :)

Niko tade
09-24-2002, 10:08 AM
Well the problem is that i can't to change a lot of hardware.... and i know that my computer is old but students don't usually have money...... so is the graphics card the best piece of hardware to change ? Will geforce 3 do the job ?
Thank you and sorry about my english........

derelict
09-24-2002, 10:26 AM
yup, and RAM. Ram is also important. Try to balance between the two. Run your prog on a lower resolution for speed.

for your current voodoo, try running it at 16bit and stay away from 24 and 32bit colours. Voodoo is a master at 16bit color depth,you'll be surprise to see it looks the same 32 or 16. lower your res for now, dude. :)

edit: inside secret, play with xref. It is another way for animating dense meshes and use proxy (a fancy name for xref in the inside).

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.