PDA

View Full Version : Blending in selections

djs37
03-16-2005, 11:41 PM
Hi,

I'd like to select an area with the wand and work only in that area. Trouble is that if I use a tool like a blending brush, colour bleeds from outside the selection although it (fortunately) does not bleed out.

Is there a way to work so that nothing bleeds into the selection? I have tried changing feathering and antialias options, the bleed and resat of the brush and floating the selection but with no luck.

Have I overlooked something really obvious or is this just impossible? I have experimented in PS elements and found the same thing happens with tools like the smudge tool.

Any help gratefully received!

Jinbrown
03-18-2005, 03:13 AM
Hi,

I don't know of a way to prevent that, other than to blend with brushstrokes that move outward from inside the selection and/or to paint parallel to the selection's edges.

Sorry. I know we'd all be happy not to have color dragged inside a selection.

It might help to zoom way in and make your brush size smaller when working around the edges of the selection.

Good luck!

Per-Anders
03-18-2005, 06:04 AM
here's a workaround, not 100% perfect, but possibly good enough for most situations:

make a new layer for your selection

make the selection.

use the outside mode or invert it and fill the layer with a color that you couldn't mind coming in to the selection.

now make a new layer mask (why does the painter make mask from selection make a mask from what's in the selection rather than the selection shape itself?!?)

here it becomse a bit choresome, but basically paint in the layer mask with black using the selection (yeah, painter lets us down here by not allowing the fill tool to work with the selection mask :/ ) you want to make it transparent around your area.

invert the mask again (or even turn it off), and paint away with your blending tools.

finally when you're done, either leave as is, or you can flatten down or pick up the selection from teh layer mask, and delete what's there in the layer, then remove the layer mask.

long workaround, but it might be of use to you.

djs37
03-20-2005, 11:30 AM
Thanks very much for the helpful responses

CGTalk Moderation
03-20-2005, 11:30 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.