PDA

View Full Version : Portfolio too be...

HughieDM
03-16-2005, 03:39 PM
This is my first post/thread here
So be critical I need hard crits
Any way down to it
Im biulding a new portfolio of stuff from arch school and concept sketching
all the concept sketching is what ill be focused on in this thread unless People are interested
The first two are my most resent and first in the line of possibles for the portfolio
http://www.thefilebin.com/userfiles/HughieDM/SCtank.jpg

http://www.thefilebin.com/userfiles/HughieDM/sketch%20skelitons%201.jpg

Vertrucio
03-17-2005, 05:58 AM
The usefulness of these portfolio pieces depends on what you'll be using the portfolio for. If you're trying for a job or a professional art college, there will be problems.

While I see good tool control, confidence, and knowledge of basic principles you need to get away from the cartoony style for this sort of thing. At least, until you get a better understanding of the core principles like perspective and anatomy.

Now is the time to start being more precise in your work. Take the tank for example, I notice you've gone to the trouble of laying out the basic perspective and blocking out basic forms. Since this is a portfolio piece, why not go the extra mile and make sure everything follows perspective? Block out everything in perspective, then do the inking. You'll also want to either use a straight edge for mechanical objects or get really good at drawing straight lines quickly (I'd suggest practicing freehand, it's a very useful skill).

Same for the figures, try building those figures up from basic shapes. I mean, you can already draw a skeleton, take that a step further and start adding muscles, or block out the shape of the figure on top of the skeleton. The more you learn about anatomy now the easier things will be down the road.

You'll also want to ween yourself from the cartoony style. I don't mean abandon it, but at this point it will slow your growth as an artist, whereas before it probably helped to get you interested in drawing in the first place. By forcing yourself to draw realistically and from life, you learn all about the details and fundamentals of drawing. After you've learned to draw realistically, you can make design decisions about what to include and what to stylize. If you keep drawing only cartoony objects, all you learn is the cartoon stylizations, not how things really look. Drawing in any particular style at all (such as anime style) can make your beginning works look better than they really are too. It has to do with established preconceptions of an image. When you look at a cartoon image, you have notions of how it should look, so long as the image conforms to those preconceptions, it'll look better to the viewer, even if it's wrong. However, since there's really only one common real life that everyone shares, drawing realistically makes it easy for you and others to identify any problems in your work, and thus you are more able to correct your mistakes and learn from them.

edit: Also, please cut down on the size of your image. It's throwing off the forum formatting.

CodeNothing
03-17-2005, 06:48 AM
you have a great mind, now you just need to start on the long journey of mastering basic principals. Get books. Lots of books. And read them. Dont just flip through the pictures like i used to. :D

I suggest studying perspective drawing first. Its a major bore to learn about, but it will build the 3D visualisation in your mind. It will make EVERYTHING easyer.

Your on your way though. You deffinetly have an artist's mind, Now you realy need to just humble yourself and start from the beginning.

HughieDM
03-17-2005, 12:58 PM
Thanx for the info I will deffenitly work on what you have mentioned
I gess I should have tittle ideas for item for portfolio

Rudeone
03-17-2005, 01:14 PM
Looking at the tank I can see you know the rules and basic principles of drawing in perspective, now it only needs to be less loose, the lines must be straight and maybe less thick, but that's just me, thick outlines could be cool.

That's all, above posters gave you some good advice, I have nothing more to add.

BTW may I ask how old you are?

Keep it up, you will get there

HughieDM
03-17-2005, 03:00 PM
Im 20 and in school for arch right now so the tank should be technical

I was tring to be faster in my drawing but Ill work a little more technical
thanx for the info though:)

Rudeone
03-17-2005, 03:42 PM
Ok, the reason I asked is because your style reminds me a lot of when I was about 18, I'm currently 23.
Your skills need a lot of practice, but I think you got the basics and the skill, so I'm quite sure you will get there. In arch school, I asume you will learn the techniques of perspective drawing and I can see you know how it works, a lot of practice will defenitly pay of eventualy, so keep at it mate:thumbsup:

HughieDM
03-17-2005, 04:09 PM
Thanx I def will
love your stuff man so if I remind you of how you used to be I think Im on track:bounce: :)

Ilikesoup
03-17-2005, 04:32 PM
I have a few hypothetical questions that I hope will help you refine your concepts. The great thing about hypothetical questions is if they're stupid ones, you still don't have to answer them. :)

Tank
Is that a manned tank or remote controlled? If manned, how do soldiers get in and out? How do they see where they're going.

What are benefits/drawbacks of the extra cannon? What additional stresses would this impose on the parts?

Is that a platform on the back side of the turret? How would that be used? Also, what are those plates on either side of the tank?

Figure Drawings
Where do elves buy short pants and why would they wear them? Why such heavy armour on his shoulders but not on the rest of his body? Why such a casual pose when he's carrying such lethal weapons?

As for the skeleton scaling the wall, can a hip & knee joint bend like that? Does he look balanced or will he fall backward?

Sorry for the humor, but I just wanted to draw your attention to a few details in a lighthearted way. BTW, I really like the skeleton with the knife -- reminds me of something from Sinbad and pirates are always cool. :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
03-17-2005, 04:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.