PDA

View Full Version : Make New Plants..?

SirReality
03-16-2005, 01:40 PM
I'm wondering if anyone else is a bit unhappy with the limitations to plant editing with Vue 4 and if the capabilities are any better with Vue 5. Vue is a great application for rendering outdoor scenes with great atmospheres, but considering it claims to allow creation of entirely new plant species I find that only being able to change trunk length, stem length, and a couple of leaf properties does not live up to the claim. There is no way to change the branching behavior that I am aware of, no way to add root systems, no way to make leafy vines to cover a wall. The new ecosystem features sound great, but I have not yet decided to upgrade because I'm still irritated with the plant editing.

Am I missing something? Is the plant editing (and creating) better in Vue 5?

I look forward to reading your comments.

FrenchKiss
03-16-2005, 02:32 PM
There is a plant editor available as an plug-in for Vue 5, called Botanica. In this add-on you can create and edit your own species of plants by changing the aspects of the trunks, branches and leaves through the modification of existing Vue trees. I believe Vue 5 also comes with more species than you have in Vue 4. Also you can make your own plant species by substituting the leaf and bark textures of your choice.

Personally, I feel the editor could be a bit better in its concept. The dials tend to be a bit too sensitive for my heavy hand and I think there should be better control over the branch and trunk modification. But I'm sure there are many Vue users here who won't agree with that.

Still Botanica is great fun to use and gives you tons of possibilities to modify your Vue plants.

Mike.H
03-16-2005, 03:21 PM
in my opinion the plant editor/botanica is one of the weak points in vue, but it works and combined with the eco system in v5I vue´s plants isnt weak at all, there´s so much you can do, but it is one of the weak points, and one i would realy like to see e.on improve on.

But you can always create entirely new plants in xfrog or combine multiple plants in vue and create new species, if you go the xfrog route v5I and it´s ecosystem works real good with xfrog plants or anyother imported model so if you enjoy vue4 and can afford the upgrade you realy should get v5I.

SirReality
03-16-2005, 03:35 PM
Combining trees in Vue is a great idea. I hadn't thought of that and once again CGTalk has demonstrated itself as a great resource. The modelling application I use is Lightwave 3D and there is currently work ongoing to develop a free L-System (parametric-ish organic form generation) plugin (I believe xfrog is based on this kind of approach). Currently the thing is pretty darn good for making trunks, vines, and other coninuous geometry. It doesn't place geometry (like leaves) yet, but I'm sure that isn't too far off. I have to say I'm impressed with what I've seen of the ecosystems so far, and I am itching to try importing some l-system LW models and letting Vue rip...

LW users, or anyone interested in the lscript code, can take a look at the thread linked in my signature. If I remember correctly Vue is using Python for scripting... l-systems for Vue might not be too hard to code. :shrug:

Mike.H
03-17-2005, 04:07 PM
cheers, im not a lightwave user myself but im sure we have some :)

and yeah v5I suports python so a vue version could be possible and if so of high interest to alot of users

The-G-Man
03-23-2005, 08:18 AM
in my opinion the plant editor/botanica is one of the weak points in vue, but it works and combined with the eco system in v5I vue´s plants isnt weak at all, there´s so much you can do, but it is one of the weak points, and one i would realy like to see e.on improve on.

But you can always create entirely new plants in xfrog or combine multiple plants in vue and create new species, if you go the xfrog route v5I and it´s ecosystem works real good with xfrog plants or anyother imported model so if you enjoy vue4 and can afford the upgrade you realy should get v5I.

Can xfrog plants be animated in Vue to react to the wind? I think the undulation of vegetation really sells the illusion of reality.

Dale B
03-23-2005, 12:16 PM
Not by Infinite itself, no. The breeze and wind effects are built into the plant species. It may be possible to rig an Xfrog plant, and use Python to interface it to the wind parameters, but the time involved would be at best significant.

Now that Infinite is out the door, E-on is slated to deploy a content store, called Cornucopia3D. Two of the things that have been mentioned as content are more of the pre-animated mesh objects, and new plant species. New plants have been at the top of just about every request list out there for some time.

The-G-Man
03-23-2005, 01:07 PM
Not by Infinite itself, no. The breeze and wind effects are built into the plant species. It may be possible to rig an Xfrog plant, and use Python to interface it to the wind parameters, but the time involved would be at best significant.

Now that Infinite is out the door, E-on is slated to deploy a content store, called Cornucopia3D. Two of the things that have been mentioned as content are more of the pre-animated mesh objects, and new plant species. New plants have been at the top of just about every request list out there for some time.

Thanks for the heads up Dale.

I just got Xfrog and really like it. The models work great with V5I Ecosystems, but the extra animation in Vue would have been nice. Oh well, musn't be greedy :) Now back to my orchard.

bruno021
04-12-2005, 11:04 AM
I think that Botanica, Vue5's plant editor is deceiving too. You can change the overall look of a plant, or create new species, but only based on existing Vue plants. I don't really like Vue's ready made plants, they work fine in the background but look too low quality in the foreground.

With Botanica, you can change bark textures if you have images to map them with, but rarely the leaves textures, since leaves & branches are part of the same texture map in Vue plants.

Xfrog is still the best option in my opinion, shame Xfrog models can't be animated in Vue5I like regular Vue plants.

Mike.H
04-12-2005, 08:14 PM
supersmall tip: if you need your plants in the foreground(pretty common:P) just hit the x2 button as many times as you need.

Each time you hit it, it will double the polygon count on the tree/plant and yes the difference is realy big, hit it 4 times and you´ll see what i mean, do a closeup and you wont think it´s the same tree.

cheers

CGTalk Moderation
04-12-2005, 08:14 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.