PDA

View Full Version : AMD Opteron or Intel Xeon

tri-aayaami
03-16-2005, 10:11 AM
hi guys!

planning 2 buy a dual processor system. my work is extensively on 3dmax & photoshop. need a configuration which is rock solid. pls help. :banghead: though i m personally biased 2 AMD still i want 2 have a fair comparison between both.

rgds

rocarpen
03-16-2005, 10:15 AM
hi guys!

planning 2 buy a dual processor system. my work is extensively on 3dmax & photoshop. need a configuration which is rock solid. pls help. :banghead: though i m personally biased 2 AMD still i want 2 have a fair comparison between both.

rgds

I've read that 3DS Max and Cinema 4D are a pair of rendering apps that take significant advantage of the Xeon's Hyperthreading abilities. Certainly it's true re: C4D (from personal experience, and Cinebench scores I've seen between AMD and Intel), but I don't know about Max.

loumette
03-16-2005, 10:26 AM
If its possible you should maybe wait some months. AMD (and Intel) are coming with dual core cpu's. AMD's version will be able to fit the dual opteron boards and this mean you can have 4 actual cores available for your tasks. Though the costs of the processors are probably higher than the single core versions it'll be alot cheaper than a workstation with 4 seperate singlecore cpu's.

As for your direct question, Xeon is the choice you should make. You should take the new generation nocona's as they are fit for 64bit processing. Xeon has been faster in 3dmax en photoshop for some time. Opteron's are the top choice if you work with maya/mental ray.

Vertizor
03-16-2005, 02:07 PM
1. Price comparison: I'm sure someone will come in here saying "building a dual Opteron system is cheaper" like in other Intel vs AMD threads. My take: these modern dual CPU system are expensive anyway you slice it. When you're spending that much money, it doesn't really matter if you save a few bucks here or there...

2. App performance: as already said, 3DSMax and C4D likes Intel chips better.

3. Heat/power issues: AMD hands down. Sure you can make an Intel solution comfortable, but it'll cost and the cost isn't always money (extra noise for example).

ToddD
03-16-2005, 02:43 PM
Try using the forum search, this has been covered a million times :)

rBrady
03-16-2005, 02:56 PM
This has been covered a million times but the issue keeps changing. I go between using Lightwave and Maya on AMD and Intel of all configurations. You really cant loose they are both very fast. I prefer AMD since they have more memory bandwidth and dont choke as much on large files.

Big picture wise I would not recomend going for a dual processor board right now. Most single processor machines are a bit faster for everything but rendering. But when It comes to rendering you will love dual processors. I would recomend getting a good AMD socket 939 system, dual channel. Get a athlon 64 3000ish for about 150$ and wait for the dual core CPUs to come out. This will save you a ton of money and you can just slap a dual in when they come out. Dont forget bang for your buck. Spend less and upgrade more often, you will be more productive that way.

CGTalk Moderation
03-16-2005, 02:56 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.