PDA

View Full Version : Master and Servant Challenge FAQ/Answers/Questions (Update 24 March 2005)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Leonard
03-16-2005, 01:12 AM
** WINNERS ANNOUNCED HERE (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=253317) **

For questions/answers on the Master and Servant Challenge, please post here...

1. Please read the instructions before posting here.

2. Please help us to answer questions. If you see a question already answered, please refer the person to that answer so that we don't keep repeating ourselves.

Thanks,

Leonard

Technical Support
For all registration errors, or technical errors while using the Challenge site, please PM Robert Mibus, our technical officer - username: mibus.

Frequently Asked Questions (last update: 24/3/05)

- Concepts and Ideas -

Q: Can I do ? or What [i]exactly do you want?
A: Whatever is iconic and directly related to the Master and Servant genre. Please be imaginative and surprise us. We will not be giving anyone specifics. It needs to be iconic. Imagine that the image is to be used on a book novel cover.

Ask yourself - how is my concept related to the Master and Servant theme?

Q: Does one of the characters in the Master and Servant relationship need to be human?
A: Yes - absolutely. One of the characters needs to be human - doesn't matter whether he/she is the master or servant.

Q: Does one of the characters in the Master and Servant relationship need to be 100% human?
A: Yes. One of the characters has to depict the globally accepted notion of the homo-sapien species.

Q: Do the characters need to be 'alive'?
A: Surprise us.

Q: All your 'inspirations' are fantasy styled. Does it need to be in that same fantasy style?
A: No. We chose those artists and images because they inspired us immensely. Your image does not need to be in the fantasy genre. Be creative and surprise everyone!

Q: If we send our concepts early, what guarantee do we have that other people could not "steal" our idea?
A: Your guarantee is that there are 150,000 other members on CGTalk, many whom respect originality as it is in their best interest as artists. If someone has the gall to 'steal' your concept, and it is made known to the public, that person will get such a bad rap from the community that he/she will not want to come back. This has happened several times on CGTalk already with plagiarism made known to the public. However, in the history of the Challenge (all 16 of them), no-one has ever 'stolen' another person's concept.

Q: What happens if I change concept half way and want to do something totally different?
A: No problem, but you have to submit all the necessary milestones for that new concept, to qualify.

Q: Can the initial sketch be a 3D sketch as opposed to pencil and paper? Can't draw I'm afraid.
A: Yes, this is fine; the sketch is supposed to show what you have in mind and where you are headed. Drawing is preferred.

Q: I am currently working on another Master and Servant theme project (commercial/non-commercial/whatever). Can I make my image for this contest based on the other project?
A: Be original and imaginative please. Create a unique image.

- Challenge-Specific -

Q: How early do I have to start submitting milestones?
A: As early as possible. Although there is no due date earlier than the final closing date, part of the final judging vote puts emphasis on Community Interaction, which means that people who 'hold back' their work in progress till the last minute can be penalized.

Q: Can we work in teams? What about pairs?
A: No, this is not a team challenge.

Q: I'm using a new email but the challenge keeps sending stuff to my old one. How do I fix that?
A: You go into CGTalk's UserCP (User Control Panel) and change your email address there.

Q: What if I am a winner and I want a different prize? E.g. What if I win the Grand Prize but I want the Runner Up prize instead?
A: You can contact the other winner with the prize that you want, and ask if they want to do an exchange. What you guys do with your prizes is up to you, and we're not going to be involved in it.

Q: How do I actually enter the competition?
A: Go to the challenge site and click on "Enter The Challenge". Upload your pictures through the challenge site submission ("Submit Your Entry").

Q: Do I tag every concept sketch uploaded as a milestone, or just THE final concept sketch.
A: Everything is a milestone until you do the final image.

Q: How i can get out of this challenge?
A: Just stop submitting.

Q: Can I have multiple entries?
A: No. As stated in the guidelines, no multiple entries although it's possible to enter both the 2D and 3D challenges as long as the two are vastly different in concept.

Q: Can I upload my WIP images to my own server? Is that counted?
A: No. Please use the Challenge site facility to upload your Work-In-Progress. The purpose of the image hosting on the Challenge site is to give everyone the equal opportunity to post their work-in-progress, and have it hosted. At the conclusion of the Challenge, you will undoubtedly remove any Work-In-Progress images from your personal website and generate broken links all over CGTalk - so please use the Challenge upload facility.

- Technical -

Q: Are random or parametric terrain and foliage/plant generation software (Bryce/Vue/Terragen) allowed?
A: Yes

Q: Can I use Poser, Daz 3D or pre-fabricated models?
A: No.

Q: Why the hell not?
A: Because this is a "Challenge" to challenge artists in creating original concepts and characters. Where's the challenge in using pre-fabricated characters as main subjects?

Q: Can I use Poser to make background characters?
A: No, if your characters are tiny it won't take you much effort to model some lowpoly humans anyway.

Q: Can I use a trial version of a software?
A: Yes. We don't care. The final image must not have watermarks on it.

Q: The guidelines in the instructions says that the resolution for the final image should be at least 2657 pixels wide and/or 3636 high, 300 DPI (portrait). Why do you need such a high resolution for?
A: We want to train people to create artwork for print. Therefore, things such as detailed textures and meshes become important in the creation of your artwork. The final image needs to be prepared for print, and we want everyone to work towards producing work that is print quality by habit.

Q: What resolution do you want the final image to be exactly? What about if we make the image a different aspect ratio and orientation?
A: Your final image aspect ratio and orientation will dictate your final resolution. We want images that will print at 300dpi on a 22 x 30cm page (whatever orientation). Please do your research and work this out yourselves. Your final image will need to be rendered at enough resolution to print and hold up detail.

Q: Because of hardware limitations, is it ok to render a part and use it as a background, or render in "layers" and composite it all togueder later?
A: All post trickery is allowed and encouraged.

Q: Any problems if I do it with a student license of Maya?
A: If it is watermarked then yes. Otherwise, no.

Q: Is it ok to use vray, RenderMan or 3rd party renderers for rendering?
A: Why wouldn't it be? (yes)

Q: While I know its ok to use 2D textures in this 3D project....is it going to be ok to use a 2D element as a back drop? Like a background....like a matte painting?
A: Yes.

Q: Are we allowed to use web downloaded textures?
A: Yes, but they will have to be modified to suit your image. If stock textures are recognised there may be a penalty by the community and the judges, consciously or unconsciously.

ArtisticVisions
03-22-2005, 12:31 AM
Well, guess I'll ask the first question:

Q: Does one of the characters in the Master and Servant relationship need to be human?
Does this mean that he/she has to be human or can they be human in appearance? (like, an angel would be human in appearance... geez, I'm already brainstorming on this! :wip: )

belail
03-22-2005, 01:51 AM
Do both of the characters need to be alive? I've had a couple of ideas where the master/slave has been an inanimate object.

percydaman
03-22-2005, 02:14 AM
Do both of the characters need to be alive? I've had a couple of ideas where the master/slave has been an inanimate object.

have same question. Would think it wouldn't be a problem.

Kirt
03-22-2005, 03:28 AM
ArtisticVisions - You may have to wait for an answer to this from Leo. But from the intro page it states ...The relationship of Master to Servant can be of human to creature or creature to human. One to many, or many to one. It could be based on power and conquest, love, hate, lust, benevolence, exploitation, religion, belligerence, psychosis, fear, adoration, debt, tradition, dare... However, the nature of these roles is one that is particular to the human condition, and therefore requires at least one human component, whether in the dominant or the submissive position.... which (by my understanding) means that you need at least one human. Maybe Leo could clarify if "humanoids" or some manner of bi-ped creature would be allowed. It seems kind of restrictive if it must be human and doesn't seem to fit the guidelines of past challenge themes. But, there may be a reason for this. I'll wait until Leo provides an answer.

belail & percydaman - Inanimate as in a rock or corpse? Or like a robot or other mechanical thing? I believe you'll get away with a lot, subject wise, as long as the theme of the challenge is well represented in your image.

Can someone or something be a master or servant to a rock or corpse? Sure.
Can someone or something be a master or servant to a robot or toaster? Sure.

Get creative. I'd hate to see a couple thousand images of chained characters paying homage to the toenails of yet another steroided cliche'.

KolbyJukes
03-22-2005, 04:11 AM
Can we reference or reimagine mythology/fairy tales etc. in our entries?

for example could an entry contain a king arthur-esque character, complete with the knights of the round table?

or say...and hansel and Gretel themed/inspired entry?

Just wondering.

-K.

Kylebrn
03-22-2005, 05:15 AM
First off great theme.:thumbsup:

I have a couple questions?
First off: In the instructions it says: "Artists are encouraged to think beyond traditional or conventional interpretations of the theme. Flex your imaginations and show us something original. To me the winner was kind of un-original,very traditional.Are you sure originality will mean something this time? Note*(Nothing against the winner and all mind you,he did real well).

My next question is: Humans are required.So does human toon types,half humans count? Kind of like the dad in the Incredibles I mean.

And my last question: Are bots allowed as another character alongside the human/like character?

Thanks for any help.It's appreaciated.:thumbsup:

VladPascanu
03-22-2005, 07:18 AM
maybe stupid question
may i post my challenge wip on CG and on another forum
i would like to get more feedback from some non english speakers
it has been done before by others but i want to know if it s ok

Adrianna
03-22-2005, 08:27 AM
I want to enter, but my connection keeps timing out on the challenge page. Is there another way to enter?

metalpiss
03-22-2005, 10:45 AM
I haven't seen anywhere rules related to age, but I want to be sure: is there a minimum age requirement?

MDN67
03-22-2005, 12:10 PM
What is that the fantasy style is really forbidden?

chrismoose
03-22-2005, 02:43 PM
hi,

heres a question?! or few!!

the shhpiel states that "explores and exposes the motives, emotions and expressions evoked" and "Whatever you choose to depict, the image must convey the relationship; the attitude and action; and the emotions of the Master and Servant archetypes."

So does that mean that you have to see the/a human face! - odd i know, but i have an idea but it shows everyone walking awaY!! - the picture itself could and indeed should be enough to convey an emotion or feeling.
If the rules state that there must be at least one face shot, then i could show another character looking out (ish) at the camera. So??!

and i can show/depict religious imagery/icons? As i remember reading a thread once about no religious pics allowed on cgtalk. my idea aint baaad, but someone, in the whole wide world, might moan.:shrug: oh, to help you decide..its jesus(in one idea) and a pic of a church in another.

regards,
chris.

beelow
03-22-2005, 04:30 PM
I am wondering, is there a way that I can finish filling out my entry for the Master and Servant Challenge, the link had broke when I was filling out the rest of my info and I am having trouble trying to do that. I also erased my subscription to the forum when I had went to my user profile, and am wondering if I did something wrong. I apologize for my ignorance, and really want to do this challenge. I need help, Thanx. :)

chino
03-22-2005, 04:58 PM
just some clarification. i work in new york but i am from the philippines. when you say country is it where you are or where you are from?

thanks for your time.

.:ZRDwD:.
03-22-2005, 07:03 PM
Are filters allowed to be used for 2D entries (Axion, Eyecandy, Auto FX, blur, lightening, etc)?

SoniaNotRed
03-22-2005, 08:30 PM
What if I want to change from 2D to 3D while retaining the same concept?
Should I just get my ideas more defined before I join in? I already have a concept but I still don't know where it's going, so...

Thank you.

erilaz
03-22-2005, 09:07 PM
I need to change my email to a new account.. how can I alter the address for the challenge email?

SteveNewport
03-22-2005, 09:08 PM
i was hoping i wouldn't have any questions so I could just start, but... yea:

#1) While reading the dictionary definitions for 'servant,' I was wondering if interpreting it as "slave" would be acceptable. If an image leans more on the 'slave' side on the very thin line between servant & slave, will it be discounted more easily?

#2) Does the the 2nd presence (whether master OR servant) have to be visible on the canvas or can it be suggested?

Thanks ahead of time, and I apologize if these are unecessary questions

Seven
03-22-2005, 09:12 PM
Back to the 'one character needs to be human' issue. IVe got an idea but both characters in the piece are humaniod but machines. They still have faces, limbs etc but are not organic.

Does that qualify ?

Im thinking Leo wants at least one character to be human so you can relate emotionally with him/her. You can definatly relate emotionally to non human / orgainic characters though.

BaronImpossible
03-22-2005, 09:28 PM
My question: Would I be penalised for commenting less than some members might do? People like me on mega-slow connections can wait for 20 minutes for a single forum page with images to load. If this will count against me then I'd be sunk before I started, so I would appreciate an honest answer :) Thanks

dioxide
03-22-2005, 11:58 PM
Heres a question. I dont know if it has been answered or not. I want to try my hand and compete with all these talented people, however when it comes to coloring your picture i am completely lost. Is it by any chance possible to enter without that ability? You see, all i own is a 11x14 sketchpad and 3 different types of pencils.

I can get a bigger paper, but i dont know how to scan that.

SteveNewport
03-23-2005, 01:23 AM
dioxide:

I would forget about what you think you can/cannot do and just go for it. Honestly, I would think they might be looking for the whole package to see an artists skill level (color, compositiong, dynamics, etc..) but I think if someone made a killer monotone piece, they would consider it. But my advice would be this:
If you don't feel comfortable with color, join the group and try and come up with a concept that requires you to use color. Do some research and participate in the community to get people to your page and give you some advice. There's no class or school that will teach you as much as challenging yourself in a community that will critique you and give you advice. So I'd say go for it, put some effort into it, and no matter what the outcome of the contest, you'll be a better artist because of it

dioxide
03-23-2005, 03:59 AM
Thats just crazy enough to work. Ok this will be my first attempt at doing... anything.

useyourloaf
03-23-2005, 06:38 AM
I am a 2d artist who primarily uses Photoshop but have recently developed a liking for Z-Brush, if I were to do elements in z-brush but ended up with most post work in photoshop what catergory does that put me under 2D or 3D?

Apologies if I posted in the wrong thread, I'm new to Forums!

Daoine
03-23-2005, 07:18 AM
Ok, here's my question. Many artists (from what I understand), use a base mesh to kick start their "human" characters from. Is this an acceptable practice for a cg challenge. I'd hate to have to throw out a perfectly good head just because it didn't start from a single poly or a cube.

Thanks,
Daoine

Ter-o
03-23-2005, 11:16 AM
Q: While I know its ok to use 2D textures in this 3D project....is it going to be ok to use a 2D element as a back drop? Like a background....like a matte painting?
A: Yes.

In the other QA there was a question about post-trickery... so.. is it allowed to compile the final picture from 2D and 3D elements (for 3D challenge), for example some small details or light effects (volume light) etc. made in 2d and can all the layers (even 3d) be postprocessed (fe. color balance, using 2d overlay to darken shadows, DoF-effect etc..)

Just curious where does the too-much-post-edited 3d-line go?

bealobo
03-23-2005, 02:18 PM
hi!

this has been asked before, but as no response has been given I must insist :D

Must the human character be alive? or can it be just a part of it? I think I can get this servant and master relationship without showing the entire human (nor even his face).

My concept is quite complicated and I need to know if I have to change it before I get started, and... I want to start!

thank you

TheCleaner
03-23-2005, 04:15 PM
No doubt the forum calms down a bit as far as new threads go after about a week, but how am i supposed to get WIP C&C, when within a matter of minutes my post is on the second page.

Ive added a link in my sig, in hope of getting more people to look, but if i get no feedback, am i to bump my own thread, or start a new one in the 2d WIP forum? (which seems rather redundant)

its my first challenge so im not exactly sure how things go, sorry

Kanga
03-23-2005, 06:41 PM
As publishers I guess you would want 300dpi Tiff copies of the milestones.
What linear dimensions would you want ideally for these milestones?

Gamoron
03-23-2005, 06:57 PM
If you take the link to my image, you'll see the concept sketch I have submitted. I intend to use this as the base for my image. I was going to paint right overtop of it.

My question:

What would my lineart be if I wasn't planning on doing any sort of lineart?

Do you have suggestions? Would you like me to quickly create some or is there another way I can meet this milestone?

BaronImpossible
03-23-2005, 07:47 PM
Gamoron - good point. Having read the rules I also think this needs clarification. I very rarely do line art. Indeed, I normally up-size a concept thumb and work from that. I would be interested to hear if the rules dictate that you must create your art in a certain way. I can't imagine they would (i.e. what purpose would it serve?) but it's better to be clear about these things.

mybutterflyiris
03-23-2005, 08:31 PM
Quick question: Can there be more than one master and servant in the image? And if so, must you focus on one particular master/servant relationship, or is it ok to just have them all? Does this make sense?

liiga
03-23-2005, 08:54 PM
mybutterflyiris, I believe this answers your question:

The theme can encompass an entire spectrum of relationships from benevolent leader and adoring followers to maniacal dictator and abused slaves.

Since it mentions slaves and followers in plural, I believe it means there's no restriction on the number of figures.

Leonard
03-23-2005, 10:48 PM
Line Art Milestone:
To be honest I am completely unsure why this milestone has been a requirement for the last two challenges and why it suddenly becomes an issue after successfully being a required milestone in the last two Challenges. Did no-one bother to say that it was redundant in the last two challenges? 2000 contestants each time and not a single comment until now? Wow.

If it's redundant to you, then simply submit your Concept Sketch again as Line Art. I will have to check in with the others here to see if it's really a redundant milestone and remove it before the end of the challenge if necessary. Will keep you all updated - please watch the FAQ.

Does one have to be human or can it be semi-human?
It needs to be 100% homo-sapien. I did not write the rules (it was collectively written by numerous people), but we are all accepting this as a rule and interpreting that one needs to be a 'human' (i.e. character depicting the globally accepted homo-sapien species form).

Sorry if this is going to deter anyone from entering the Challenge, but the rules have been set and the interpretation from the vast majority of Challengers so far (as can be seen in the entries to date) has been that one needs to be a human being. Many people have already started their concepts with humans as one of their main subjects.

Do one of the objects need to be 'alive'?
I very honestly found this question to be very difficult to answer. I had a long discussion on the semantics and definition of what it is to be 'alive' or 'animated' with some others and quite honestly it is a total waste of everyone's time to argue about such a philosophical subject here (don't even try me please). So I'll leave this one open to interpretation and say NO - SURPRISE US WITH YOUR CREATIVITY.

Other questions
I do sincerely apologise to the others whom I did not answer your questions. I had a quick glance through look and honestly, the majority of your questions have already been answered in some way, shape or form in the FAQ and Rules. I will ask other Forum Leaders to try answering the rest, as I do not have time for the more trivial questions/matters at the moment.

Thanks,

Leonard

Seven
03-23-2005, 10:58 PM
Thanks for clearing that up Leo :thumbsup:

pixelkeg
03-23-2005, 11:40 PM

Q: Can I use pre-fabricated models?
A: No.

Just to clarify, please be patient with me...

This means I can't use anything I've built myself before today?

Kirt
03-23-2005, 11:54 PM
Sorry for brinking this up again...but if dsomeone from the moderators could help me i would apreciate it very much.......

Can i do this or not ...'cuase my painting skills are really bad ..thank u and sorry for bringing this question again here.

:sad:
I don't see a problem with it Dimitri. You are working 3D right? If you're going to use a photo collage or sources from other artists in your concept drawing or mock-up, just make sure that you give credit to your sources. Stick figures and basic shapes are perfectly acceptable for concept milestones too. Skilled line drawings are not a requirement for concept milestones. Just communicate your idea anyway you can (photo collage, playdough & toothpicks, photo of your action figures & toys in pose, whatever).

DO NOT use copyrighted material or source material from other artists in your finished work. That would be a major violation of rules, laws and ethics.

pixelkeg - Start from nothing.

sebek27
03-24-2005, 12:16 AM
this is my first time entering a challenge and I noticed several new entries did not post any sketch and yet they are in there. I registered but now it's asking me to submit a concept sketch, why is that ? i don't have anything yet, just 2 ideas I will post in writing. Also i'm not sure if one idea will be ok for some reasons.

sebek27
03-24-2005, 12:19 AM
now on cgtalk it does show my name.. on cgnetworks page it's asking me to sumbit an image. Can I skip that part for now ? or if I do that I will be deleted from cgtalk 2d challenge?

Wiro
03-24-2005, 01:01 AM
Daoine and
Pixelkeg

It has to be 100% done in *this* challenge. If you're using anything prefabricated make damn sure no one finds out!

phase1

As the FAQ says, all post trickery is allowed. No restrictions. The only thing to keep in mind is that if you end up painting most elements (not just the background) then you might consider going into the 2D challenge instead.

TheCleaner

That's indeed an issue with this many entries but it's something every person has to deal with. Update often, advertise in your sig and have an exciting entry is all I can suggest.

Sebek27

You can take all the time you want before submitting as long as you have one of each milestone.

Wiro

reven
03-24-2005, 01:08 AM
when we enter- is our work automatically copyrighted!

sebek27
03-24-2005, 01:12 AM
but i get this on the cgchallenge page:

Step 2 of 3 - Image Submission Process

Error: One of the required fields is missing.

so can i just cancel that step and continue my process on cgtalk and post my sketch later this week ?

Gamoron
03-24-2005, 02:02 AM
Sorry Leonard. I didn't enter the first challenge, tried 3D in the last one and now I'm trying 2D for this one. Thats the reason you haven't heard the question before and because of the 2000 I'm the only one that really thinks outta the box.:D And because instead of doing the smart thing and figuring out a work-around, I had to join the whinning throng thats pestering you guys. :shrug: No worries. It doesn't bother anyone else I can come up with something to submit.

Just ignore me. :beer:

Kirt
03-24-2005, 02:16 AM
reven - Under copyright law, anything you create is automatically protected in your name. By submitting to the CGChallenge, nothing changes. The work is yours and you retain all rights to the work. Read the info provided on the Challenge pages. This and CGNetwork's usage of your image is covered. You should have read and agreed to these terms before you entered the challenge.

sebek27 - If you're submitting an image, use the CGNetworks submission page. If you'd like to just add a text post (no image) use the "reply" option on your thread here on CGTalk.

sebek27
03-24-2005, 03:01 AM
thanks, can you or Leonard read my entry and tell me if I can continue with my ahem, part of a man's anatomy idea ?

Kirt
03-24-2005, 03:35 AM
I'm not going to go searching ... post a link if you want someone to look at it.

sebek27
03-24-2005, 03:54 AM
sorry, here http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=223121

Kirt
03-24-2005, 04:14 AM
sebek27 - I answered in your thread (if anyone else is curious).
Short version = "Don't violate the forum posting rules."

Ter-o
03-24-2005, 06:58 AM
Thanks Leo and others for clearing things out! One more question I do still have left (since now it's clear the other has to be homo sapiens): This was asked here earlier afaik, but I didn't find the reply... so.. Can the human be cartoonish/stylized, for example like the dad in the Incredibles?

Thanks in advance!

Kirt
03-24-2005, 07:23 AM
Thanks Leo and others for clearing things out! One more question I do still have left (since now it's clear the other has to be homo sapiens): This was asked here earlier afaik, but I didn't find the reply... so.. Can the human be cartoonish/stylized, for example like the dad in the Incredibles?

Thanks in advance!
All styles are welcome. Go nuts! :bounce:

zanp
03-24-2005, 10:12 AM
I have a concept for the challenge but not the skill to produce it may I post the idea for others to take up and use and if so where?

And would some one using said idea still be able to enter the competition ?

Thanks

John

nebezial
03-24-2005, 12:35 PM
Ok, here is a really stupid question but for me it is quite agonising, how do you attach those links to your works in your messages? thanx in advance

nebezial
03-24-2005, 12:43 PM
How does one put those links to works , i know, dumb question but agonising to me

erlik
03-24-2005, 01:06 PM
How does one put those links to works , i know, dumb question but agonising to me

You mean, in the sig?

Jednostavno. :D

Go to Quick Links -> Edit Signature, and simply insert the link to the first page of your thread.

Daoine
03-24-2005, 03:40 PM
Sorry Leo, I still need a little clearer explaination of "human"

It needs to be 100% homo-sapien. I did not write the rules (it was collectively written by numerous people), but we are all accepting this as a rule and interpreting that one needs to be a 'human' (i.e. character depicting the globally accepted homo-sapien species form).

My main character is elven. Now, elves are not considered human. They are considered humanoid. They do, at least the concept of an elf that I am using, fit the globally accepted homo-sapien form. But, in the world where they "exist" alongside humans, they are not 100% homo-sapien.

Basically, the only difference between this elf and a human, is his ears are a little pointier.

Thanks,
Daoine

Kirt
03-24-2005, 05:20 PM
zanp - No, this is not a team competition. It's in the FAQ at the beginning of this thread.

Daoine - I believe the elven question has been asked already and Leo's answer is a response to that (among other variations of the humaniod form). Human is human.

nebzial - What erlik said ... :D

ArtisticVisions
03-24-2005, 05:54 PM
Does one have to be human or can it be semi-human?

Sorry if this is going to deter anyone from entering the Challenge, but the rules have been set and the interpretation from the vast majority of Challengers so far (as can be seen in the entries to date) has been that one needs to be a human being. Many people have already started their concepts with humans as one of their main subjects.

Hmm... guess I'll have to figure out another way of depicting my little angel (unless I keep the "servant" human) :wip:

Virum
03-24-2005, 06:07 PM
What if an artist were to sort of mix the two mediums? Say model a fairly detailed 3D model of the scene to get the general shape and perspective down and then paint over it in the 2D app of choice? It's about an even amount of work in both mediums, so:

What category would a challenge entry made with this kind of workflow be submitted in? 2D? Is it even allowed?

WimH
03-24-2005, 06:16 PM
Hello

Can the human be topless?

Trojan123
03-24-2005, 07:17 PM
The 2D catagory-

Can I do a drawing on paper and just scan it? Or, does it have to be from Photoshop, Illistrator, or the like?

I'm new at this. I have a great concept; however, I think (for me, since I cannot model people) I can convey such a better image on paper than from 3D package.

SB

Rudeone
03-24-2005, 07:27 PM
Am I allowed to do a sort of homage to Star Wars and have some characters in it that look like Star Wars characters, but are my own interpretation?

please click my challenge link to check out these sketches and info about it

Kirt
03-24-2005, 08:16 PM
Virum - 3D is allowed as a aid in the challenge. It's up to you do decide if the finished work should be classified as a 2D or 3D work.

crapple - Yes. Be aware of the forum posting guidelines, though. Read the forum FAQ for more info.

Silver Bullit - Use whatever method your comfortable with.

Rudeone - Avoid using characters, designs or ideas presented by someone else. This is a showcase of your talents and not a fanart competition.

Virum
03-24-2005, 08:47 PM
Thank you, Kirt. :)

TheCleaner
03-24-2005, 09:08 PM
The 2D catagory-

Can I do a drawing on paper and just scan it? Or, does it have to be from Photoshop, Illistrator, or the like?

I'm new at this. I have a great concept; however, I think (for me, since I cannot model people) I can convey such a better image on paper than from 3D package.

SB

Silver Bullit - Use whatever method your comfortable with.

so despite the entry not being CG, it can be still entered for a CG Challenge? Or will the fact that it is scanned in, therefore being a 'pixelated' computer image rule out that flaw

Also, I wouldnt mind someone checking mine just to ensure its following the rules (also a mod might want to merge all 3 posts into one, sorry about that), link in sig

Kirt
03-24-2005, 10:22 PM
TheCleaner - This is a digital arts community so expect that others who will be judging your work will expect the image to be of some sort of digital media. If you're used to drawing your concepts on paper before you color/paint, then that is perfectly acceptable. However, if you are looking to do a full illustration in traditional media such as oils, acrylic or watercolor ... I think your image might not be as accepted by the community.

I may be wrong, if it's of extremely fine quality and skill, but generally speaking digital arts will be more graciously accepted here.

I did look at your entry ... you need to submit your entries via the CGNetworks submit page (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/masterandservant/submit_entry.php). The judges will not likely look at the threads on CGTalk, but will review the entries on your submission page hosted on CGNetworks.

sha$xl
03-24-2005, 11:32 PM
okay im sorry if i sound like a retard by asking this, but i never entered a challenge like this i want to be 100% sure of the rules

my question is about the size of the image. For each milestone, do they have to be posted at the size requirment? and at what resolution (300dpi?) tje size im talkin about is the 2657x3636 (or the other way round)

mookid2005
03-25-2005, 12:03 AM
Not a question that will get me any answer...

Why do so many people enter these challenges never to submit one single post. In the last challange there were pages of such threads.

do these people send empty envelopes in the mail? *sigh*

(I forgive you if your ill or busy or dead or whatever, that's allowed :D)

Virum
03-25-2005, 12:56 AM
okay im sorry if i sound like a retard by asking this, but i never entered a challenge like this i want to be 100% sure of the rules

my question is about the size of the image. For each milestone, do they have to be posted at the size requirment? and at what resolution (300dpi?) tje size im talkin about is the 2657x3636 (or the other way round)

No. :) The only time you have to supply the full sized image is if you are one of the winners; you'll be asked for it. :)

Matt_Forcum
03-25-2005, 01:26 AM
I apoligise if this has already been asked:

I am planning on creating a 3-D image which also includes a heavy amount of 2-D Digital painting overlayed on top of the image to add fine details and fix little 3-d bugs and stuff. I see it being mostly 3-D at this point, but it could very well turn out to have equal amounts of 2-D and 3-D techniques combined.

Should I submit this in the 2-D or 3-D section of the contest?

thanks!
-Matt

Virum
03-25-2005, 01:29 AM
I apoligise if this has already been asked:

I am planning on creating a 3-D image which also includes a heavy amount of 2-D Digital painting overlayed on top of the image to add fine details and fix little 3-d bugs and stuff. I see it being mostly 3-D at this point, but it could very well turn out to have equal amounts of 2-D and 3-D techniques combined.

Should I submit this in the 2-D or 3-D section of the contest?

thanks!
-Matt

I asked practically the same question (see previous page).

Virum - 3D is allowed as a aid in the challenge. It's up to you do decide if the finished work should be classified as a 2D or 3D work.

Smartypants
03-25-2005, 01:33 AM
I intend to enter the 2D category; this is a 2D category question.

I would like to build a very rudimentary 3D model for use as reference, and to perhaps use a rendering as a sort of "underpainting". Is this allowed?

Thank you for your answer.

- EDIT - it looks like the post just prior to mine clarifies this point somewhat; I'll assume it IS okay to use 3D "underpaintings", unless specifically told otherwise.

Kirt
03-25-2005, 02:30 AM
People ... please read the thread before asking another question. Chances are your question has already been answered. And I really don't have the patience to repeat it again.

Thank you.

Matt_Forcum
03-25-2005, 02:57 AM
my apoligise, I got thrown off by the topless question which came right after the 2D/3D question. I completely missed it!

:D

StealthPharaoh
03-25-2005, 05:34 AM
hi..i'm planning to enter the 2d contest but it's my first time so i have couple of questions..i hope they are not too stupid..lol

i'm having trouble getting to the main challenge page to read the instructions over again and been trying since last night..but anyways here's my questions, i would aprreciate it if anyone can answer it

1) u said one of the characters needs to be a human..i got that but does the other character has any limitations..i mean does it have to be a real object or person..or it could be something spirtual or psychological

2) when i enter do i start a new thread in the contest forum or do i use the sumbit entry option and it will take me there..also is there an order to post my WIPS.. and when i submit my work through the CGNetwork server,do i only sumbit the required ones or anything i do in between

3) is photo refrences allowed and i don't mean just copying a photo..but if i used photo refrences to help me to get a pose right or some inspiration, should i post links

4) the final image size is very huge and i don't know if my pc can handle it because i'm using an old one..when u say if i can't get it to the required size and sumbit whatever i have will that mean i could get disqualified

that's all the questions i have...i already started but not sure yet how to enter and do it right..thnx in advance

Kirt
03-25-2005, 06:06 AM
Stealth Pharaoh - Lots of questions ... :D No limits on the other character(s) or object(s). To begin your entry use Join Challenge (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/masterandservant/enter.php). Your WIP thread is yours to do anyway you wish as long as each milestone is done before the deadline. Submit all WIP images to the CGNetworks server here (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/masterandservant/submit_entry.php). For all posts without an image, you can use the "reply" option in your thread. Don't use copyrighted works or photo derivative as elements of your final image. You can use photo reference to work out your composition, pose, etc. But don't rely on it to the point where you begin copying. Do what you can with your hardware. You're still learning and getting valuable feedback on your WIP. The high resolution is for print, Leo and Mark will do what they can if your image is selected as a winner or to be included in the challenge book. However, be aware that low resolution images may not be considered.I have been having difficulties with CGNetworks tonight too. Should just be a server load issue or backup. I don't know for sure, just wait awhile and try again later.

And good luck to you.

StealthPharaoh
03-25-2005, 07:21 AM
Kirt: thank u very much for the quick reply and clearing things out

i already created a thread but i have few more questions regarding submitting my work..do i have to sumbit the milestones in a particular order..for example i started working on a quick sketch and jumped to coloring wips..if i sumbmited more than one sketch because my first sketch is not final yet..how do i let u know which ones are the final milestone if i sumbit couple of them..or it doesn't matter how many i post as long as i name them
thanks again..

Kirt
03-25-2005, 07:28 AM
No, it doesn't matter which order you submit them in. However, it would help others make sense of your process if you can keep them in order of creation. You can submit any number of images to any milestone.

When you submit a milestone, there is a subject field where you can title each one. For example: if you have 4-5 concept sketch milestones you could label the first ones "Concept WIP" and your final "Concept Final". This will show up in the subject field of your post, so others will be able to tell which is your final submission for any particular milestone.

The important point is to submit at least one image for each milestone. If you miss one milestone before the deadline, your image may be disqualified.

StealthPharaoh
03-25-2005, 07:42 AM
alright,thanks for the help..:thumbsup:

bolek
03-25-2005, 11:55 AM
i have several questions.

1. can you paint/draw freehand and then scan in the wip and final image or does the painting part have to be done in photoshop and/or painter, digitally ?

2. is it ok to look at photographs of people when you are drawing ? how about taking a picture of your friends or yourself and getting the pose you need for the drawing ? also let's say you need a building, can you look at a photo of a building you like and draw it while looking at the photo ? i don't think all these great works of art are from someones head without looking at any references.

3. not really sure what size in photoshop the concepts and final image needs to be.. still lost on this one

4. is there a time cut off when you need to post your first sketch to when you need to post line art drawing, coloring to final image ?

Wiro
03-25-2005, 12:06 PM
Bolek:

1) A lot of artists start their paintings on paper so that's just fine
2) Using reference is fine too. Just make sure you're not actually copying. It's a good idea too to post your refence images.
3) The milestones don't need to be at full res. It's only the final that has to be.
4) Technically you could upload all your sketches and milestones on the last day but don't expect any support or votes if you do ;)

Wiro

bolek
03-25-2005, 12:15 PM
i know a lot of artists start on paper, but does the final painting have to be done digitally ?
so you can use references but not the whole image ? example: a woman holding a dog, you can sketch the actual shape but not do exaclty as the image ? what if you take your own picture of exactly what you want the person to be holding and how he/she is supposed to be posed ? obviously I will add different clothes to the person but can I still draw exactly from a photo I took to get the full shape/form and lighting/shading I will need for the painting ?

mitralone
03-25-2005, 02:56 PM
Hi there,

I have one concern about a post so I would like some moderation on the entry before things get out of hand.

I do not know if using religious concepts is OK here but I do not want to see any kind of religious discussion on CGtalk. I come here to learn and enjoy 2 and 3D works. I do not want this to be a way of propogating religion and ideals.

Please check this entry

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=223784

And please put moderation on it. Even though it is in its early stages, there is a very bad assumption(master and slave). It is offending. Please stop this. Or at least have the postings moderated.

dioxide
03-25-2005, 03:28 PM
I want to clarify something. What do the judges think of as "traditional" and "conventional" master/slave/servant relationship? Give a couple examples of each please, if you can.

Wiro
03-25-2005, 03:32 PM
bolek:

It's not required to paint digitally but as this is a digital forum it's expected by the people here. If you decide to do it traditionally then you'll have to face the possibility that the community won't accept it (allthough the contrary has happened here)

As for photoreferencing, yes it's possible. But again, prepare for severe penalties by the community if it's too close. Overpaints have been very frowned upon here. Make sure you show your references.

mitralone:

We'll keep an eye on it. I don't have anything against religious themes as long as they don't try to ram an opinion down one's throats. It's a knife's edge but if everyone concentrates on the art instead of the religious part we don't have a problem. The moment the threads goes from talk about the artwork to religion it will be removed.

Wiro

Matt_Forcum
03-25-2005, 04:57 PM
I want to clarify something. What do the judges think of as "traditional" and "conventional" master/slave/servant relationship? Give a couple examples of each please, if you can.

Why do you need it defined for you? Come up with your own cool interpritation!

I think that the only rule established is that there must be a human being in the piece.

Teyon
03-25-2005, 05:26 PM
Edit...hmmm this is the place afterall, I guess. Okay.Here's my question again:

Hi. I was thinking of entering the challenge but the No Poser rule has me wondering something. I make all my models in Wings3D and Rhino3D but I use Poser to render and rig my models. I can't afford the bigger tools and my system would choke on them anyway (running a Pentium2 with 198MB ram). So, I'm wondering if I'd be allowed to rig and pose my models in Poser anyway, since my challenge thread would clearly show I made the models myself from scratch?

Thanks,
T.

liiga
03-25-2005, 06:01 PM
I've a question. The 'final coloring' milestone - is it supposed to be the final colorscheme, or the almost-finished image minus refinement?

Sagroth
03-25-2005, 06:52 PM
About issues with violence... ;) How can I check out if my concept is acceptable on that matter? Should I just make my thread, post idea/sketches and ask forum leader to overview it or make it another way?

erlik
03-25-2005, 07:30 PM
I was thinking of entering the challenge but the No Poser rule has me wondering something. [...] So, I'm wondering if I'd be allowed to rig and pose my models in Poser anyway, since my challenge thread would clearly show I made the models myself from scratch?

Teyon, if you take a closer look at the rule, you see something different:

" Can I use Poser, Daz 3D or pre-fabricated models?"

or

"Can I use Poser models, DAZ 3D models or pre-fabricated models?"

That's my take, anyway, since English is a very flexible language. :D

IIRC, for the last challenge, rigging in Poser was allowed, but mods will correct me if I'm wrong.

Knowing your work, it would be pity if you didn't enter this challenge. :thumbsup:

pigwater
03-25-2005, 08:36 PM
i have the same question as sagroth ... how do we know if we " cross the limit" of acceptable violence/cruelty/etc.

Kirt
03-25-2005, 08:52 PM
liiga - You can still make small adjustments when working on the Final Coloring milestone. The Final Image milestone will be the last image that you submit to the challenge.

Sagroth & pigwater - Use the forum rules and guidelines (http://www.cgtalk.com/faq.php?faq=cgtalk_faq#faq_new_faq_item) as your guide to what is acceptable violence/cruelty. Obviously images of rape, beastiality, racial hatred etc. are going to be themes you'll want to avoid. If you have to question if the image might be offensive ... then don't post it. Better to err of the side of caution than gamble with your posting privilages, right?

Teyon - Already answered via PM, but for the benefit of others, I don't think that will be a problem. Leo will put in his opinion if he disagrees ... but as far as I'm aware, the rule is for pre-gen modelling. Of course the other option if you're that concerned is to model in pose.

AIR
03-25-2005, 11:42 PM
I was wondering,Im doing this piece with one dinosaur in it.So,the question would be,
can we take the older models from personal 3D projects and modify it for the challenge?
In my case I'v made this dinosaur,post it in cg gallery before,"Brothers in blood",and am
wondering can I use that,or should I go from skratch,and make completely diferent dinosaur.

My master&servant (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=222142)

theCloudmover
03-25-2005, 11:55 PM
I was considering using Corel Painters' ability to record the painting process as a quicktime file during selected "milestones."

Would it be acceptable to host these WIP movies off of CGTalk.com or would you rather me exclude them from my thread altogether?

Thanks.

Teyon
03-26-2005, 12:15 AM
Thank you Erlik and thanks again, Kirt. I can't UVMap worth a damn, so I think I'll just take the risk and rig it in Poser. That way, at least, the mapping will be easier. :) SHould it turn out to go against me, well, that's okay too...

now to start concepting.

Wiro
03-26-2005, 12:49 AM
Air:
That question has been answered several times; no, all models must be created within the challenge only.

cloudmover.net:
Sounds like a cool idea! Go ahead and include it in your posts.

Wiro

teknotek83
03-26-2005, 04:36 AM
I know that having a human is required for this challenge, but do the main characters have to be humans? Is it possible to just include a crowd of humans and non-human main characters? Thanks in advance!

StealthPharaoh
03-26-2005, 06:34 AM
i have one more small question i forgot about..can i post my wips on another forum..
i don't think it's a problem but just to make sure..thnx

Kirt
03-26-2005, 08:33 AM
teknotek83 - Answered already ... Leo said, "one needs to be a human being."

Stealth Pharaoh - It's in the terms & conditions ... "LIMITATION OF RIGHTS: Other than the assignment of the necessary rights to publish selected images and information on the CGNetworks website and associated sales, marketing and merchandising materials, the Publisher does not acquire, nor assume responsibility for, any other rights."

NOTICE!
From this point forward, I'm not answering any questions that have already been answered or the answer is on the challenge pages. So, if your question goes unanswered ... read this thread and the challenge pages again. :argh:

Sorry, but I have a challenge entry to complete myself. :wip:
and ... yes, I'm a grumpy old bastard.

ogar555
03-26-2005, 09:31 AM
Who should I ask to determine if my concept: "depicts explicit acts that are overtly violent, sexual, cruel or brutal"
'cause, it would be hell to make a picture and spend alot of time on it and then be told that: your picture is too cruel... you are disqualified...

StealthPharaoh
03-26-2005, 01:31 PM
sorry kirt if i was asking questions already asked or are in the instructions..

i read everything but don't remember seeing anything taking about posting my wips on another forum..but i guess i'll just post a link to my thread in here..thnx again

Wiro
03-26-2005, 05:33 PM
ogar555:
Can't you use your own judgement in this?
In the end it's not really the forum leaders who'll decide what's appropriate or not. We usually react to the communities wishes so it's them you'll have to ask.

Stealth Pharaoh:
What Kirt means is that you can do whatever you want to with your entry

Wiro

artman50
03-26-2005, 08:55 PM
hi , i have 1 question, can i use a friend´s old drawing as concept for this chalenge ? ( he let me use it )

i hope i can

ogar555
03-26-2005, 10:34 PM
ogar555:
Can't you use your own judgement in this?
In the end it's not really the forum leaders who'll decide what's appropriate or not. We usually react to the communities wishes so it's them you'll have to ask.
Wiro

ok, thanks!

Kanga
03-26-2005, 10:49 PM
hi , i have 1 question, can i use a friend´s old drawing as concept for this chalenge ? ( he let me use it )

i hope i can

I dont believe it is important how bad the concept drawings are,... just the end result.

Awwwwww take a chance,... draw it yourself, I dare you!

artman50
03-26-2005, 11:24 PM
ok kanga... ill make it . tx

BlackDidThis
03-27-2005, 12:33 AM
I am SURE that you guys must have gotten seriously fed up with the 'Human' question thread.. but there IS a sort of alternative situation with the concept I have in mind.

Would a Vampire count as a human? Since it WAS one at some time?
I believe it should be fine... but I am sure there would be alot that would argue that it is acceptable or not.

When I try walking in your shoes.. I see that there is a LOT of amazing entryies that leave no doubt behind that they were evolved around the rules. Thus some entries that happen to have 'slight bends' in the rules won't exactly be a loss to put aside. It is only wise for us to try to give you as little doubt as we could.
And thats why I am asking you this annoying question again. Hoping that I wouldn't be bending the rules while modeling one as an entry.

(I know I could have humans as slaves.. but that is not really the concept I am going for .. the only humanoid in the story is the vampire)

nebezial
03-27-2005, 04:08 PM
Ok Now i know that 3d people can use 2d software for tricks and stuff, but can 2d artists use 3d software( max) in their works??:wip:

kinnas
03-27-2005, 04:24 PM
after going trough this thread, there was only the omnious "check back later" note for the lineart. Basically, I don't do lineart, I paint directly. Yet all milestones need to be filled, right? It was mentioned that I might just upload the concept again under the name of lineart but with the note of "wait a bit, I'll check with the higher authorities."
what's the final call on that then?

Virum
03-27-2005, 06:03 PM
Ok Now i know that 3d people can use 2d software for tricks and stuff, but can 2d artists use 3d software( max) in their works??:wip:

This has been asked several times, or a question similar to it. You can use any combination of 2d and 3D work. If it's about even, you have to decide which category you want it in.

sebek27
03-28-2005, 01:39 AM
I need to find out if one of my ideas for the challenge will be ok with the judges and isn't too violent before I post my wip.

3. My final idea is my favorite - a setting inside a house where you see a chair and a man standing on top of it holding a rope about to commit suicide by hanging himself. on the right of this you see the devil himself leaning on a desk/table and one of his legs is about to kick the chair away to help the man with his suicide since he can't really make up his mind. Basically the devil is collecting/aiding people in their suicide knowing that once they do that they won't go to heaven and therefore the devil can gather as many men as he can and use them as his servants in hell to fight the angels in heaven for ultimate control.

Ruramuq
03-28-2005, 07:17 AM
Real full name (no artist aliases - use your real name)

BUT, I WANT TO BE «ANONYMOUS», :sad:

I believe, the most important is the challenge itself, not my name, nor the fame, so.... :

Do I have any alternative?? :shrug:

please :)

MadnesS
03-28-2005, 01:20 PM
I can inhale to me in an existing world already, like as Lord of the Rings or Books of RPG like Lobsomen The Apocalipse or Vampire? To make new personages for this world?

OrO
03-28-2005, 01:31 PM
the people visiting my thread said i should ask..i have a very big problem..i don't have a drawing tablet because they are expensive in my country..i've started posting my work but i will only be able to do high quality scans of the finished images,especially the finishing color and finished image sessions..what can i do..will i be thrown out of the contest? :sad: pls reply

Wiro
03-28-2005, 02:00 PM
Sebek27: that sounds allright to me

Ruramuq: For legal reasons it's absolutely neccesary to use your real name.

Madness: ideally all the creations should be of your own. If you do want to use an existing universe, make sure the stuff you make is unique. The rules say: Any image deemed to be the same or similar to one currently published will be disqualified for reasons of copyright liability.

oro: this is difficult. It's a digital art forum but traditional entries have been allowed within reason. The quality of your images is very bad though but if as you say you will find a proper scanner for the finals I think it's ok.

Wiro

OrO
03-28-2005, 02:56 PM
it's because the pictures have been taken with an olt digital camera i recived for my birthday a long time ago...it was nither new nore good from the start but it really has gotten worst :sad: i'll try to do something about the scanner problem right away..thx a lotttttttttt

g-nome
03-28-2005, 05:01 PM
I am a 2d artist who primarily uses Photoshop but have recently developed a liking for Z-Brush, if I were to do elements in z-brush but ended up with most post work in photoshop what catergory does that put me under 2D or 3D?

i have same question. if i use my z-brush mesh (models, some local colors) and do all other work (backgrounds, texture ,effects) in photoshop...what then, 2d or 3d?

thanks.

Wiro
03-28-2005, 10:22 PM
useyourloaf, g-nome:it's up to your own judgement but sounds 2d to me

Mibus
03-29-2005, 12:36 AM
I need to change my email to a new account.. how can I alter the address for the challenge email?

Email me - robert@ballisticmedia.net - with all your details and I'll take care of it :)

eclipson
03-29-2005, 05:32 AM
i have same question. if i use my z-brush mesh (models, some local colors) and do all other work (backgrounds, texture ,effects) in photoshop...what then, 2d or 3d?

thanks.

hey i had tha same question too, that would b 2D or 3D, leonard teo?:)

g-nome
03-29-2005, 08:04 AM
useyourloaf, g-nome:it's up to your own judgement but sounds 2d to me
if i put my 2,5d work into 3d afterall...is that a big problem ?

SamSed
03-29-2005, 08:31 AM
don't know if this question was posted yet , i read the whole thread and found nothing about it, anyway my question is : is there a deadline for the entry? , i mean , 2 or 3 weeks before the final submit deadline , and of course showing everything (concept skech, wips...) in a single post, it's kinda strange and stupid , but i want to know that ?
thanks

Wiro
03-29-2005, 10:02 AM
g-nome and eclipson:
I don't feel like repeating myself into infinity so I'll say for the last time; use your own judgement. If most of the picture is painted and 3d models are only used as a base for shading then IT GOES INTO 2D. If your focal matter is mostly 3d or most of the picture is 3d then IT GOES INTO 3D. what "mostly" means is up to your own judgement. If you're really that concerned if you're in the wrong category, consider
a) chosing only one style
b) not to enter at all

SamSed:
There is no deadline for when you have to start. But the later you are the less feedback you'll get and I doubt you'll get many votes.

Wiro

hermine
03-29-2005, 10:26 AM
I my Cp profile i have a different email adress than in the "submit entry" profile, how is this how can i do so my "submit entry" profile got the same email adress as in my CP?
Thanks

SamSed
03-29-2005, 11:08 AM
Thanks Wiro for your reply, i asked that because i'm kinda busy right now ( preparing for my graduation short movie ).
and yes , it seems to be right about not getting enough feedbacks and eventually votes. well i'm not skilled enough to be among the best artists here, then i don't expect any vote. i'm just challenging myself to see how far can i go.
thanks.

Mibus
03-29-2005, 11:17 PM
I my Cp profile i have a different email adress than in the "submit entry" profile, how is this how can i do so my "submit entry" profile got the same email adress as in my CP?
Thanks

Email me - robert@ballisticmedia.net - with all of your details, and I can sort it out :)

Kid-Mesh
03-30-2005, 12:18 AM
Lo all, I guess this is the right place.

I just posted an updated to my thread and selected concept sketch instead of modeling :argh:

Will that count against me? Can it be corrected? or does it even matter?

Thanks!

Mibus
03-30-2005, 01:03 AM
Lo all, I guess this is the right place.

I just posted an updated to my thread and selected concept sketch instead of modeling :argh:

Will that count against me? Can it be corrected? or does it even matter?

Thanks!

You can email me (robert@ballisticmedia.net) with a link to the appropriate entry, and I can fix it up for you if you like. As long as there is an entry with the modeling milestone set, nobody is going to complain :)

DJSmackMackey
03-31-2005, 06:41 PM
If I am doing a fan-based image, does that count as copyrighted material? For example, If I did a CG portrait of a character from a TV show, can I do that?

minduinho
04-01-2005, 01:51 AM
i was having the ideia to draw a pharaoh and his priests.
i can make servantS, or it's only able to draw one servant?

Adriano-Zanetti
04-01-2005, 12:48 PM
I'd like to re-use a model of one of my WIP and adapt it to match the requirement of my potential "Master and Servant" entry... although the model was never posted anywhere yet, it was not created at first to serve the purpose of this specific challenge. I'd like to know if you would allow it... or does every single element that will compose the final image has to be created from scratch after the start of the competition ?

Thanks,

Adriano.

paulwdavidson
04-01-2005, 05:08 PM
Congratulations to the team for printing a fine book (Machineflesh)

It's excellent

Thanks

Keep up the good work

Paul

Neozoom
04-01-2005, 07:46 PM
Great contest.... but BTW ...
IS there not any Hounourable mentions anymore?
It is quite disapointing to see only 9 people will be short -listed...

Wiro
04-02-2005, 12:23 AM
DJSmackMackey: yes, that's copyrighted material and is not allowed, sorry

minduinho: yep, make as many masters or servants as you want as long as at least one is human

Adriano_Zanetti: again...no premodeled assets. at. all.

Wiro

guismo
04-02-2005, 01:17 AM
i have a question no one knows how to answer till now

my master is the anti christ. in this concept there are three issues:
-he as black eyes and white pupil
-in one of the concepts (maybe the one i will make) he has wings
-in his origin he was a demon, but he comes to earth as a human

is that allowed or is there any penalty?

Wiro
04-02-2005, 01:59 AM
guismo:
If he looks human despite inverted eyes and wings then go for it

Wiro

minduinho
04-02-2005, 03:32 AM
thanks for the answer

Adriano-Zanetti
04-02-2005, 09:43 AM
Adriano_Zanetti: again...no premodeled assets. at. all.

Wiro

I'm not talking about any poser characters or any other pre-chewed material, but about a model that "I" entirely created... but modeled prior to the date of the challenge, I was already working on it when the challenge was announced... Anyway, I'll just re-model it if necessary.

pe@ce

Neozoom
04-02-2005, 03:06 PM
Hello I have an important question :

-I changed my CGTALK E-mail in my user CP DURING the challenge...
But When I submit a picture , the e mail displayed at "cgtalk e mail : ****" is STILL the old one...

Will the informations and , if the case is , winners infos will be send by this old e mail or by the new I entered on my cp user....

* NOTE: I always receive my notifications for suscribed threads in my NEW e-mail...

OrO
04-02-2005, 06:27 PM
i have a very important question???? how do i submit the final image the size is a lott bigggggger than the normal milestone size in the submit entry form..thx

OrO
04-02-2005, 06:37 PM
ok..found it ( the problem) have to submit image between 1 and 18 may thx

Guille
04-02-2005, 07:59 PM
when i enter the contest, i put the wrong country... USA instead of Argentina.... How can i correct this?

feeb
04-03-2005, 05:06 AM
I notice many of the entries are ambivalent as to who is master, and who is servant (including my own). My question(s):

1. Does it have to be crystal clear who is master and who is servant?
2. Does it have to be crystal clear that their relationship is master and servant? (ie: one is emphatically subservient, and the other is equally dominant)

Thanks boss!

arLutiK
04-03-2005, 06:16 PM
for the final image you ask for an image with the dimension of 2657x3636 at 300 dpi, I'm not familiar with priting and my renderer renders in 72 dpi so does that meen I need to do an image of 11071x15150 at 72 dpi?

And good luck to everyone

Genesisa
04-04-2005, 01:12 AM
you know this challenge needs a human and a animal or something, how much human got to be? a fairy can be taked like a human?

thanks.

walrus
04-04-2005, 02:16 AM
Hey, all! Somehow, while I was away for a mere hour tonight, a change was made to the board and now I find that we can all see a single thumbnail for each in progress thread, not unlike the thumbnails in the Master Gallery and Finished Pieces boards. This is great!!! Thank you so much for this new feature, it rocks!

-mike

Mibus
04-04-2005, 02:26 AM
Hey, all! Somehow, while I was away for a mere hour tonight, a change was made to the board and now I find that we can all see a single thumbnail for each in progress thread, not unlike the thumbnails in the Master Gallery and Finished Pieces boards. This is great!!! Thank you so much for this new feature, it rocks!

Glad you like it :)

It's only been making thumbnails since Friday, so if you don't have a thumbnail you'll get one with your next WIP milestone you upload.

Good luck!

NOOB!
04-04-2005, 06:45 AM
now i don't have open the thread to see if its updated.

Kanga
04-04-2005, 07:54 AM
for the final image you ask for an image with the dimension of 2657x3636 at 300 dpi, I'm not familiar with priting and my renderer renders in 72 dpi so does that meen I need to do an image of 11071x15150 at 72 dpi?

You should have an image editing app, the most common one is Photoshop. If you can't change the dpi uitput from your 3D app (if thats what we are talking about) then resize it in the image editor and make sure it is a tiff format.

erlik
04-04-2005, 09:04 AM
You should have an image editing app, the most common one is Photoshop. If you can't change the dpi uitput from your 3D app (if thats what we are talking about) then resize it in the image editor and make sure it is a tiff format.

Er, you certainly don't mean really resize?

BlackDidThis
04-04-2005, 09:23 AM
a 11071x15150 pixel image is a 11071x15150 pixel image. Even if the output is set to 72 pixels inch or 1000 pixels inch.

Now there is a diffrence between "Print Size" and the "Actual pixels" size. On regular format 72 pixels per inch would give you the exact print size of the image. So what you see on the screen is just about the size you are going to get it as an out-put.
Shall you go for a higher resolution, the print out will naturally grow accordingly.

Now if you increase the resolution per unit.. then you have the same print out.. but much more detail is placed into a single unit. So what you see on the screen is not exactly the size format that you would expect on a printed out version.

The reason for this is to ensure that you keep the details intact. LIke for a newspaper print out a 72 to 120 per inch would serve just fine. When in a magazyne you whould try to have it around 200. And when you go for a bilboard the size increases dramatically, hence you need much more detail per the unit of the image.
Same thing goes for animation renders.. when you could do well enough with a 1-2K render for a television, you would need a much higher 3-4 K for a movie.. if not more. So you have to ensure that your texture resolution is capable of supporting it.

I hope this helpped you have a better grasp to what the res bit is about.

So for short keep your results to an output of 11071x15150 what so ever. And prefferably at an even higher scale that you think you can afford.
One bad idea is to work small and then to resize the image. A pixel carries more than just 'one' colour information on it. So as you enlarge the image, the coputer shall try and blend these colour informations with the neighbouring bits. Not always the best result.
So just work big and shrink it small. It will always give you the upper hand.

Black

erlik
04-04-2005, 10:01 AM
Now there is a diffrence between "Print Size" and the "Actual pixels" size. On regular format 72 pixels per inch would give you the exact print size of the image. So what you see on the screen is just about the size you are going to get it as an out-put.
Shall you go for a higher resolution, the print out will naturally grow accordingly.

No.

2657x3636 at 72 dpi will print at 36.90 x 50.5 inches. Assuming you have a printer that prints at 72 dpi.

At 300 dpi, it will print at 8.86 x 12.12 inches. (Which is etiher some kind of oversize B format or something completely different. :D)

11071x15150 is 36.90 x 50.5 inches at 300 dpi.

Arlutik, what you must not do is bring the needed size into Photoshop and just enter the 300 dpi at resolution. You'll get a resampled image, which prints bad cause Photoshop interpolates pixels into the picture. IE, adds what was not inside originally.

What you can do is bring the 2657x3636 image into Photoshop, uncheck the Resample Image box and then enter 300 dpi as resolution. You'll notice that the print size got down to the 8.86 x 12.12 inches. Take care that the resolution is expressed in dots (pixels) per inch, not dots per centimetre, as I've known people to do. :) If you enter 300 dots per centimetre, you'll get 750 dpi and you messed up again.

Of course, if I'm wrong about the process, somebody will correct me.

BTW, 300 dpi is resolution, 2657x3636 is dimensions, although people call that resolution.

nelsig
04-04-2005, 08:56 PM
Hi,

could I use an existing model I'm modelling for another personal project... It's only skel and muscles and I want to model the skin and use it for the challenge...

image (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/9/6019/6019_1112640823_large.jpg)

thank you

BlackDidThis
04-05-2005, 05:10 AM
No.

2657x3636 at 72 dpi will print at 36.90 x 50.5 inches. Assuming you have a printer that prints at 72 dpi... Ok, firstly: sorry guys for spamming a thread like this.
And I guess it doesn't always pay off to help.

Erik, there is a sort of diffrence between having something printed out, and using your home/office printer.
In basics, actually we have said the same thing: that he should just stick to the 2657x3636 (or; I hope you were trying to say that)
But as best of your intentions, didn't it get things a little more complex?
Now do a small test in your photo editing software. create an image at a resolution of 28.3466 per cm or 72 per Inch.. and hit printsize and viewsize on your viewing option.
You shall notice that there is not change in the scale. That is because a 72 is the specified minimum pixel resolution that strikes every inch. So basically, the screen you are now looking at. If you enlarge you image.. your print out will grow exactly the same amount.

Ok without getting things any more complex: Those that have doubts... it would be a good idea to render your image to a resolution that is at least 2657x3636 in size. Bigger would be even better. If you are painting an image.. once again it would be a good idea to resize your canvas to 2657x3636 before you get any more details on it.

I hope this helps out. I shall be posting abuoout this no more.. sorry once again.

Black

Mibus
04-05-2005, 05:55 AM
-I changed my CGTALK E-mail in my user CP DURING the challenge...
But When I submit a picture , the e mail displayed at "cgtalk e mail : ****" is STILL the old one...

when i enter the contest, i put the wrong country... USA instead of Argentina.... How can i correct this?

Email me - robert@ballisticmedia.net - with all of your details, and I can sort it out :)

No. As long as the image will end up at around A4-size at 300DPI, everything should be fine. If you tried to print your 72dpi 2657x3636 image yourself, it'd end up about 93x128cm, which is huge - but once set to print at 300DPI, it's just right. If you want to go higher, feel free, but it's not required.

pixelkeg
04-05-2005, 06:18 AM
This is great information. I'm set up now for rendering at HD 1920x1080, which I now know is waaay too small. I'll render to 3636x2046. Ouch... Rendertimes.... But what an image, hehe.

arLutiK
04-05-2005, 01:35 PM
Thx all for your answers, render will be long but I think I'll do my render at work and put a few machines on this one otherwise I'm gona cook my laptop.

erlik
04-05-2005, 04:55 PM
Ok, firstly: sorry guys for spamming a thread like this.
And I guess it doesn't always pay off to help.
Erik, there is a sort of diffrence between having something printed out, and using your home/office printer.
In basics, actually we have said the same thing: that he should just stick to the 2657x3636 (or; I hope you were trying to say that)
But as best of your intentions, didn't it get things a little more complex?

:hmm: Why doesn't it pay off to help?

Sorry that I misunderstood you, and yes, we've basically said the same thing, now that I took a closer look at your post. Thanks for clarifying.

I just added that bit about not resampling the image. :)

BTW, it's Erlik. Not everybody has taken the nick from a Lapp demon. :D

CodeNothing
04-06-2005, 12:00 AM
NICE we have thumbnails in the forum now! THANKS! :thumbsup:

BlackDidThis
04-06-2005, 02:00 AM
Erlik, I am most sorry for the rudeness. I have had apparently just skimmed through your name. I hope I didn't offend you.

You have to understand that I am in a pretty tight schedual here. And as respectful as I try to be by reading the posts decently.. I guess I comprimise from the names.
No pun was intended.

And yes I am aware of your intentions being good ones.
I guess I was a bit colder in my last post than I should have been. You pointed out important things that I had left out. I am very sorry.

Well all said, good luck with your entries everyone!

Ps: A Lapp Demon?:surprised Thats a reply you don't get everyday ... good one none the less.

Fred76
04-06-2005, 08:14 AM
NICE we have thumbnails in the forum now! THANKS! :thumbsup:
Yes, Thanks a lot for this :thumbsup:

LadyMedusa
04-06-2005, 09:45 AM
Nevermind, I woke more up and figured it out.

dragondragon
04-07-2005, 05:23 AM
I 'think' my question has been answered (swore I saw it before in the rules or some place-but cannot find it now, I did try to look it up again to no avail-), but, what if I (or anyone else) thinks another person has come up with what 'seems' to be the same concept/idea for this challenge after you have posted your concept already?
I of course, am no judge and could be totally wrong here. But, what constitues an image being similar to another? Or is it too much of an open question (which is understandable)?

I hope I am not coming off wrong or worst, sound like I am crying here. I understand the subject matter given to us may produce many images that 'seem' similar. I posted an image that shows a car and a man. Of course the car being dominated by the man. However, someone else (if a moderator would like to see what I am talking about, I would be more than happy to send the links privately, as I wish not to stir up any bad vibes incase I am just totaly wrong-know what I mean?) 'seems' to have done the same after I had already posted.

If an image is deemed similar, what can done about it?

Again, if I have soured anyones day, forgive me, but I just had to ask (I am sure others have the same question).

If it is fair game, then forgive me. I will just go and crawl back under the rock from which I came from.

And by the way, I was going to privately e-mail a moderator on this, but, I figured that others would like the answer to this as well.

Saul D. Orihuela aka: Dragondragon

PS: Thinking about it, you (cgtalk.com) do have something posted in respect to this matter. But it does not state what to do about it. E-mail contact? Also, please just give me a professional answer. I do not need the anger and attitude I have already seen on some of these posts. I spent 10 years in the United States Army, divorced etc. Be gentle-smile.

Kanga
04-07-2005, 05:34 AM
Be aware that it is possible that two people come up with the same idea at exactly the same time in different parts of the world. There are documented cases.

I don't know how many dragons and chicks there are in this challenge but no two will be worked out in the same way.

BlackDidThis
04-07-2005, 06:21 AM
There is a very thin line between copying an idea and having the same one.
Usually they both carry their own traces in them selves.
I guess that you are going ot have to put a little more faith into the jury and the judgings.

It is understandable that this was a tastless situation for your part. But this way you are missing out on the best part of the community.
Since you had this idea first and had started on it. I would say: "just go on and make one HELL of an entry out of it!" You won't have anything to loose and a good image to gain.

Good Luck

dragondragon
04-07-2005, 06:38 AM
Thank you Chris. Direct and to the point. I kinda figured this would be an answer.

It's just dishearting when you spend the time to look around the different posts to make sure your ideas/images look different than anyone elses (we are all artists after all, most of us are paid to come up with different and unique concepts).
Which I do not understand, (using your thought) if someone already has a woman/man on a dragon, why are you going to go and do the same concept? After all (for exsample), this is not a challenge of who can come up with the best girl on a dragon image, etc. But instead, who can come up with the best idea for a master/servant 'concept'.

With my image for instance, why couldn't the other artist had made his image with a truck and a girl, or a futuristic tank and some Army dude etc?(The other artist should have researched the site before diving into his piece. What if everyone had made the same image, now how would he-or if I had not researched- had stood out of the crowd). Then all of a sudden, it also turns into who comes up with the best 'similar' image. ... see what I mean?

Had he posted first, I most certainly would have thought of an entirely different idea.
Actualy, cgtalk encouraged us at the begining of this contest to do just that. Not in exact same words, but basically "surprise us' they state.
I guess I have a low tolerance for copy cats. You see, I spent many years in the comic book industry and man, there are so many copy cats there, it' not even funny.

Well, maybe I am just mubbling now (I think life has taken a toll on me and I am just grumpy... and it's late).

Aaah, I will leave this subject alone. I will just continue on with my piece. Again, many thanks (actualy surprised anyone responded to my question-smile).

Best to everyone.

PS: Pray (or wish the best) for our soldiers (U.S., and for ALL soldiers representing freedom and peace) and peace in the world in general.

dragondragon
04-07-2005, 06:46 AM
Hey Black. Thank you also for your reply. Actualy, looks like you were posting while I was writting a response to Chris. Had I read your post, I probably would not had written the lengthy second part (just simply thanked Chris).
But I will agree with you when you say:"I guess that you are going ot have to put a little more faith into the jury and the judgings."
Will do. And like you say, if anything (even if I don't win squat-smile), at least I will walk away with a new image.
Thank you for your encouragement. Eveyone take care and I will see ya all up here this weekend.

Dragon, out.

My Master and Servant 2D enterance:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=222625

Feeblepenguin
04-08-2005, 05:29 AM
hi everyone,
for some reason my thumbnail for my post doesnt show on the challenge page, does anyone know why?

here is the link to my page;

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=228734

thanks to anyone who can help

Ali

Mibus
04-08-2005, 06:33 AM
Feeblepenguin: You have to use the online entry system here:
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/masterandservant/submit_entry.php

Make sure you've submitted all of your milestones there, otherwise they won't count! :)

silver619
04-08-2005, 06:50 AM
would a decapitated head be considered too violent, cause it is a key to what i am planning to get across.

Feeblepenguin
04-08-2005, 11:14 PM
Mibus- Thanks, that did the trick.

I have another question, the coloring WIP milestone, and the final color milestone seem really far apart. can i submit multiple coloring WIP milestones or just one? and the rest i just post in the thread like a normal post?

SuperXCM
04-08-2005, 11:35 PM
Hi all,:wavey:

i've 2 littles questions :blush: ;
*the human carachter can be "humoristic", i mean, in the proportion and in the style?
*It can be somebody that really exist? I don't say one of my friend, but more a celebrities.

Thanks to answer me and sorry for my bad english. :beer:

Maipiu
04-09-2005, 01:37 PM
Hello,this is my Firsttime in a competition,i have make an mistake,i thought that i must post all final images in one time when i have finish my Picture...but to late i have recognized that i must talk and interact and use the critics to make better my Picture.
But in this Time is not more possibile why i have allready post my Final image...but i now that with your critics the picture,can be better.....im so sad for this....http://www.cgtalk.com/images/icons/icon11.gif

Gives an possibility to correct this mistake from me??

Please give me an response

really thanks for this

greetings Sandro Falcone FASA

JakubFromOz
04-10-2005, 06:35 AM
why cant i submit any mroe work in pogress images? help plz when i clik on a submit on a wip it goes to all the images i have already submitted but not the option to submit another im sure i didnt submit final image as well could somone plz help

LadyMedusa
04-10-2005, 01:29 PM
I think I messed up a bit.
In my entry, I got a fairie commanding a beast to defend the other fairies from the humans. A human, standing/sitting on the beast, owned it before the fairie took over them, so that makes him the former master of the beast.

I was wondering if thats ok even, if he's no longer a master nor a servant, or does he have to be master of either the fairies or the humans?

navylete
04-10-2005, 09:42 PM
What is allowed to do with a 3d render? Can I for example use Photoshop and edit contrast, add blur, render image to layers and edit them separately in Photoshob or draw something over the 3d painting? And if it is possible, how much? Where is the border between 2d or 3d painting?

Thanks

JakubFromOz
04-10-2005, 10:45 PM
when i try to clik on entry submit then it just goes straight to entry submitted, and a list of images i hav submitted am i missing something? before you had to choose file etc now that options gone ?> im new to cg and this is very confusing for me

Mibus
04-11-2005, 12:24 AM
I have another question, the coloring WIP milestone, and the final color milestone seem really far apart. can i submit multiple coloring WIP milestones or just one? and the rest i just post in the thread like a normal post?

As many as you want, as long as you have at least one of each milestone.

why cant i submit any mroe work in pogress images? help plz when i clik on a submit on a wip it goes to all the images i have already submitted but not the option to submit another im sure i didnt submit final image as well could somone plz help

Nobody is stopped from submitting WIPs until the end of the challenge. Is this the page you're going to?:

What is allowed to do with a 3d render? Can I for example use Photoshop and edit contrast, add blur, render image to layers and edit them separately in Photoshob or draw something over the 3d painting? And if it is possible, how much? Where is the border between 2d or 3d painting?

You can do any sorts of "post-processing" you want. The borderline between a 2D entry and a 3D entry is pretty much where you choose, just pick one :)

eXploit
04-11-2005, 05:56 AM
i posted this to support forum but didnt get a response for almost 36 hours now. so i am posting this question to here too.

as a new member i didnt know changing username was made by moderators.
after joining the challenge with my old username i wanted to change my username and created this account. now i would like to know if reposting the images with this one and not touching the previous thread anymore would cause a problem? or can someone remove my old thread instead?

JakubFromOz
04-11-2005, 06:05 AM
when i clik on dat url it says
Entry submitted. You have uploaded the following image and information:

with a previous image that i uploaded, before it gave the option to upload ?

am i missing something?

Mibus
04-11-2005, 07:47 AM
when i clik on dat url it says
Entry submitted. You have uploaded the following image and information:

with a previous image that i uploaded, before it gave the option to upload ?

am i missing something?

It sounds like there is a proxy server caching stuff that it shouldn't. Either that or your browser is badly misbehaving. Try hitting refresh once you're on that URL. If that doesn't work, try holding down either the 'alt' or 'shift' key when you click the refresh button.

i posted this to support forum but didnt get a response for almost 36 hours now. so i am posting this question to here too.

as a new member i didnt know changing username was made by moderators.
after joining the challenge with my old username i wanted to change my username and created this account. now i would like to know if reposting the images with this one and not touching the previous thread anymore would cause a problem? or can someone remove my old thread instead?

Don't forget to keep in mind that we often can't answer over weekends :)

If you're happy with it how it is, that's fine - we don't mind. If you specifically want the old threads removed, email me (robert@ballisticmedia.net) your usernames and I'll see what I can do.

walrus
04-11-2005, 06:12 PM
Hi, Mibus and others!

I just wanted to post a thought or two on the judging for the Community Award. I couldn't find it stated exactly how this would work this time around, but I saw how it happened the last challenge and didn't know whether it would be different. For the GSO challenge, I felt like the criteria for judging became one of quantity over quality. Where we could vote for any number of people in the challenge for the art itself, we were only given the choice of the 5 participants who had submitted the largest number of posts, regardless of their value (which is, admittedly, quite subjective.)

I would like to suggest that the voting for this award might be better served by having a similar voting method to that of the art itself. ('Though perhaps the voting would only be by those actually in the challenge itself?) Or perhaps participants could nominate the 5 (or so) people who they thought were the most helpful posters. Or be able to vote for only 5 out of the entire field and the person garnering the most votes wins. I'm sure there are many other possibilities... I just bring these up as ideas in the hopes that it might be more fair than just voting on the people who logged the largest quantity of posts. Quality is much more important and worth rewarding, wouldn't you agree? However, it is much more subjective... Which is why the voting process shuold be somewhat more open.

Anyhow, just wanted to get this off my chest early enough that it's not perceived as an attack on anyone (it isn't), just a sort of pre-emptive suggestion of an alternate way of looking at it. Thanks for listening!

-mike

Projectkmo
04-11-2005, 09:12 PM
Since this is a Still Image, and NOT an animation....can the Final image consist of several Images....depicting a course of events....or just some a few frames to show different aspects of the scene? Im trying to think of a good way to ask this...

basically I guess can the final image look like a Comic page...in that there are several Frames.....all different images....depicting the relationship between the master and servant?

**EDIT** while there wont be any Movement in the images....Meaning...the SCENE will Not Change....The Images will only show different angles/Perspectives....and close ups of some parts...

**EDIT 2** I ask because Im thinking of a scene depicting One Mans Power over many....and to truely get the feeling across..I think it will be nessisary to see close ups of those under his power....and too...to see his face etc....

Projectkmo
04-11-2005, 11:31 PM
*** EDIT ***

Well, Damn...there isnt a STICKY in the 3D section....so hopefully I can get an anwser here then

ozhaver
04-12-2005, 12:10 AM
How big can I get with the piece? What is the maximun allowed?

Mibus
04-12-2005, 12:14 AM
walrus: I've forwarded your comment to Leo to look over :thumbsup:

walrus
04-12-2005, 07:16 AM
Thanks, Robert! :)

Olithys
04-12-2005, 11:40 AM
I wouldn't want to look stupid but what is a line art ?
I am french and don't understand this word in all the reglement.
Thanks

Ducklator
04-12-2005, 03:06 PM
well, I have a stupid question.

I'm new here, I have a design for the master n' servant challenge, and I don't know what the hell is "coloring WIP" somebedy can answer me? please, if you could, answer me to my e-mail:

ducklator@herzeleid.net

as I said, I'm new, n' I have 3 post and a concept sketch, and is frustrating that nobody see and crit my works... please, check it out!!! I have a good idea for the master n' servant challenge.

thanks.

Mibus
04-13-2005, 12:31 AM
I wouldn't want to look stupid but what is a line art ?

It's a drawing with just lines, no colouring in, no shading. Kinda like what you'd get in a comic book if there was no colouring in, I guess.

I'm new here, I have a design for the master n' servant challenge, and I don't know what the hell is "coloring WIP"

The colouring WIP should be kinda like the line-art, but with bits of it coloured in. Doing multiple colouring WIPs to show your progress would be best :)

LadyMedusa
04-13-2005, 06:36 AM
Sorry for asking again but I feel like I'm getting ignored..

I was wondering if thats ok even, if he (a human in the pic) no longer is a master nor a servant, or does he have to be master or servant himself?

leigh
04-13-2005, 08:37 AM
Sorry for asking again but I feel like I'm getting ignored..

I was wondering if thats ok even, if he (a human in the pic) no longer is a master nor a servant, or does he have to be master or servant himself?

No, one of the main subjects MUST be human. This means that the master or the servant has to be human.

LadyMedusa
04-13-2005, 08:49 AM
No, one of the main subjects MUST be human. This means that the master or the servant has to be human.
oh, guess I got to start all over again :(
or Is it ok if I got two masters?

banzato
04-13-2005, 10:20 AM
Hi, i read the FAQ but i cant find...

In Master & Servant 3D - After the render of the 3D program - Can i put some details in photoshop? Exemple: i make a clean model and after that i put some veins in his body, or some textures correction...blood...eye...etc. I know all the jobs have post efects but where can we go with post efects? Can we make this type of changes?

Please, i need to know about this. If not, i ll have to make on the 3d models.

Im here looking for a answer. Thanks.:thumbsup:

Ducklator
04-13-2005, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the answer Mibus.

In the master n' servant challenge must have a slave n' master, rigth? (obviously). I was seeing that anyone of the two must be human. It is necessary that anyone of the two must be %100 human? 'cause my human is an angel. It's ok? My concept is a little strange 'cause it has two masters n' many servants.

Check it out, and answer me, please.

http://cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=227831

Thanks.

Projectkmo
04-13-2005, 07:45 PM
if the final image can be like a comic page....see my Above post for the explenation of my question.

Projectkmo
04-14-2005, 12:33 AM
Beuller?

Beuller?

Beuller?

jadecilcleton
04-15-2005, 04:42 PM
When I was making my register on the challenge, more specificly when I was filling the country field, I rolled the scroll wheel and fill a wrong country. My coutry its Brasil and Its registered "Brunei Darussalam". How I have to proceed to fix that?

HELP ME PLEASE!!! and sorry my terrible english! :- D

walrus
04-16-2005, 12:10 AM
I'm sorry, jadecilcleton, the only way you'll be able to be in the contest now is to move to Brunei Darussalam so that your entry will be valid. Sorry, there's just no other way.

Okay, I'm just kidding. I'm not a moderator, so you can take this with a grain of salt, and many pardons to actual moderators if I'm stepping on anyone's toes by posting this, but this question was answered in post #154:

Q: When i enter the contest, i put the wrong country... How can i correct this?
A: Email me - robert@ballisticmedia.net - with all of your details, and I can sort it out :)

Cheers!

-mike

Robert Longfield
04-16-2005, 03:02 AM
I usually start just by coloring.....How would I submit a sketch if I dont use one?

Kirt
04-16-2005, 03:55 AM
Ducklator - WIP is Work In Progress. Show the progression of your coloring steps.

Lady Medusa - Any number of Master or Servant is allowed. It's in the rules.

banzato - Post work with Photoshop is OK. It's in the rules and is a milestone in the 3D challenge.

Projectkmo - Eh? You say the images will be the same except the angle and you also say they will depict a course of events. So, I'll try and answer both for you. Comic book format - It hasn't been done before that I know of and I can't think of any reason not to allow it. If that's the best way to depict your entry I say "Go for it." :thumbsup: Collage of detail images - I don't see that this is neccessary so you may want to reconsider this. Your final image will be submitted in high resolution and although some details will be lost on the net, the print version will definately show these details well. Buy the Machineflesh book from Ballistic and you'll see the images are stunning and intricate (shameless support CGTalk statement :D ). At the close of the challenge you can submit any number of detail images as "Final Image" milestones, just make sure your complete image (not the detail shots) is the last "Final Image" milestone that you submit. Judges will be looking at your challenge page and see the detail images.
jadecilcleton - What walrus said. Contact Mibus.

Robert Longfield - Pick a stage where all elements are roughed out and represented well. Use that as your sketch or line art milestone. It's already been mentioned.

jadecilcleton
04-17-2005, 05:32 AM
:bounce: I almost had a heart attack!! lol!!!
More one "enter" in your post before make clear that you was kidding and my pass to the heaven would be used. lol!!

thank you very much! :thumbsup:

Ducklator
04-18-2005, 09:59 PM
hey, hi!

I was wondering if somebody can anwser me... in my master n' servant work, I have two masters (but suposses that they are there; god n' devil) and many servants, but nobody are 100% human. the most "human" is an angel... it's correct? Or maybe I must change my concept...

ok, thanks...:shrug:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=227831

walrus
04-19-2005, 12:38 AM
No problem, jadecilcleton, glad I didn't add that one extra carriage return! :-)

Okay, now I actually have a quesion of my own. A legal question, in fact: My Master and Servant entry is somewhat satirical, an office scene that's also a send-up of the H.P. Lovecraft mythology. One of the elements in my piece is a computer printer, labelled the "H.P.Lovecraft 4500," a take-off of an HP (Hewlett Packard) printer. (All fo Lovecraft's stuff is, fortunately, in the public domain!) Someone posted on my thread pointing out that different countries have different laws about trademark infringement, and that there could potentially be a problem reproducing my image with said HP logo as part of it (even though it's a very small part.) It was even pointed out that some other forums, based in Europe, won't allow the hosting / posting of images incorporating trademarks.

So... Any of you CGTalk folks whow what the legalities are about this in Australia? Any advice on what I should do with it? Keep it in... it's pretty small? Or change it to a similar but not quite the same HP logo? Tke it out altogether? (Gosh, I hope not!)

Anyhow, something to think about... Thanks!

-mike

Arc80
04-19-2005, 01:59 AM
Ehhehehe... This is probably a dumb question, but How do you post with attachment on another thread?

cheers

naresh
04-20-2005, 01:18 PM
hey boys can you tell me is that nesesary to colored my drawings...:)can i submit b/w work without rendering???

walrus
04-20-2005, 03:59 PM
Okay, I'm gonna be greedy and hog up the moderators' time by asking yet another question!
I know we can submit multiple images for a lot of the milestones, like Coloring WIP... But what about for 'Final Image?' I had some trouble posting last night and seems that my milestone accidentally got set to Final Image when it's not. As long as I eventually submit a more final Final Image, it'll be okay, right?

Thanks...

-mike

Mibus
04-21-2005, 01:08 AM
Multiple Final Images are fine :)

Veldar
04-21-2005, 08:58 AM
I have one question..How in the hell do I update? Do I go to the submit entry? I started to but it didn't have any of my previous posts. Is there another way to update? I'm so new to posting that I'm soooo lost. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

HoangNguyen
04-21-2005, 08:38 PM
I'm a dummy, when I heard about the challenge, I didn't fully read through all the rules and regulations. I have completed my Master and Servant challenge, but failed to post any of the work-in-progress. Here is the final piece: http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=232673

Does that disqualify me? I do have various stages of the painting. It's a bit too late for me to start on another one. Please let me know.

Thanks

Robert Longfield
04-21-2005, 11:29 PM
I was wondering if there was a way to delete old works submited for the contest. I changed my original idea, how do I delete th old idea??

Mibus
04-22-2005, 12:48 AM
How in the hell do I update? Do I go to the submit entry?

Yes. All of your images should be uploaded through the "Submit Entry" page. Any regular posts you make are not counted towards the number of milestones completed.

I'm a dummy, when I heard about the challenge, I didn't fully read through all the rules and regulations. I have completed my Master and Servant challenge, but failed to post any of the work-in-progress.

Just go back and post them now, they don't really have to be in order.

I was wondering if there was a way to delete old works submited for the contest. I changed my original idea, how do I delete th old idea??

I think it's best if you keep the old concept around, and just make a note in the thread why you changed it - that way you're still interacting with the community and developing your WIP. Just because you change your concept doesn't mean the old one should disappear :)

If you really disagree, email robert@ballisticmedia.net with your details and I'll remove the posts you want.

TomHamlyn
04-24-2005, 07:12 PM
One of the images I've posted on the challenge is wrong. I can delete it here but how do I delete it from the challenges...there doesn't appear to be that option?

Thanks

arkinet
04-28-2005, 05:59 PM
One of the rules states that if somebody wins, he/she needs to provide high res WIP, does that mean we have to keep our old WIP's? Thats a ton of disc space... can we just use the one we submitted? I already deleted my old WIPs:sad: ....

jamihn
04-30-2005, 05:33 AM
Did anyone get the final upload instructions this week? I got an announcement for CGSociety, but nothing on the challenge. Did I get left out? :cry:

OrO
04-30-2005, 10:00 PM
i have a question...i read that at the end of april we shall recive an email telling us how to post the final image....were the emails sent..if so i didn't recive any...not trying to make a fuss...justt in search of answers..thx

NOOB!
05-01-2005, 08:56 PM
i also want to know about the final image things like jamihn and oro mentioned in their posts

SpiritDreamer
05-01-2005, 10:18 PM
I submitted the "final Image" when I meant to click "final coloring". The image is correct but I need to submit it in the higher resolution format on JPEG and TIF. Please send me instructions on how to do it the upload of the larger files.
Thanks Glenn Gallegos,
gallegosgl@yahoo.com

Mibus
05-02-2005, 03:53 AM
Hi guys!

As you've all noticed, we were running a couple of days late with the instructions - they've been sent out now though :)

====
The CGNetworks Master and Servant Challenge is closing soon.

To be eligible for judging, you must make sure that you complete all
of your milestones, and upload a Final Image as both a JPEG and a TIFF
file.

If you are uncertain what milestones you have remaining, you may check
them at this page:
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/masterandservant/status.php

The Final Image JPEG must be submitted as a milestone through the normal
image submission process at:

The Final Image TIFF must be submitted via FTP, further details are here:
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/masterandservant/final_image.php

Your final image dimensions should be print resolution (as large as you
can possibly render).

A guideline is 2657 pixels wide and/or 3636 high, 300 DPI (portrait), or
3636 pixels wide and/or 2657 pixels high, 300 DPI (landscape). Your image
aspect ratio and layout will dictate the final resolution. These are given
as guidelines. To be safe, render images that are larger than these
specified.

DO NOT upsample your images to achieve higher resolution. If you cannot
reach the desired full-page resolution, just send in what you have.

DEADLINE

All entries must be submitted by Midnight at the end of
18 May 2005 (GMT). No late entries will be accepted. Note that
depending on your local timezone, challenge submissions may end earlier
for you. There is a "time left" indicator on each of the pages listed
above, check them if you are unsure.

Good Luck!
====

Any problems, post back here and I'll sort it out! :)

OrO
05-02-2005, 07:04 AM
another question.....how should we name the zipfile???

OrO
05-02-2005, 07:05 AM
like it is written there --> filename: int the e-mail we recived??
thx

eddieellis
05-02-2005, 08:38 AM
can someone help, everytime i try to upload my ZIP file for the final entry , i keep getting there was an error uploading file.. There was an error loading your file. Please try uploading again
I have followed the instructions and placed my TIF in a ZIP (named it as screen says), uploaded which goes fine. But when i come to refresh the entry screen i get this error under the file name ?

help would be appreciated

OrO
05-02-2005, 08:50 AM
same here...got an error whyle trying to upload my zip file....acces denied...and when i refreshed it said that i hadn't uploaded any image...pls reply..thx

banzato
05-02-2005, 10:21 AM
Hey, sorry if this is a stupid question. But, can you acept a 4477 pixels wide and 3700 pixels high? I found this is the perfect proportion for my job. Can i do this? Thanks for the answer.

Diabolos
05-02-2005, 10:37 AM
I am using a toy model to help me with my 3D modeling, as my main character. I have made subtle to major changes, but the pose of the fugure is almost the same - is this allowed or will I be disqualified?

Thanks in advance,

D,

SDIMIS
05-02-2005, 06:50 PM
I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH UPLOADING THE TIFF FINAL IMAGE IN ZIP FORMAT THROUGH FTP.IS (ftp://ftp.IS) TELLING ME THAT WAS AN ERROR AND TO TRY AGAIN.i DID IT AT LEAST 10 TIMES AND STILL I CAN NOT UPLOAD IT.I NAMED THE ZIP FILE AS THE INSTRUCTIONS GIVEN TO ME AND I FOLLOW THE PROCEDURE.PLEASE HELP

S.DIMIS

jamihn
05-02-2005, 10:24 PM
Might as well join the party. I as well get a permissions error when I attempt to upload. :cry:

Mibus
05-03-2005, 12:57 AM
I just fixed a permission problem for 2D people, so try again :)

jamihn
05-03-2005, 04:02 AM
New problem. I uploaded my zip file and it looks like it's all nice and uploaded in my FTP program. When I got to the page, it tells me "There was an error loading your file. Please try uploading again." I uploaded it again, but same difference.

I am working on a Mac. Could that be the problemo? :banghead:

Mibus
05-03-2005, 05:04 AM
eddieellis & jamihn, I've fixed that problem too. Go to the final image page again (don't upload) and you should see your work has uploaded fine :)

jamihn
05-03-2005, 05:06 AM
Brilliant! Thanks a million Mibus! :applause:

OrO
05-03-2005, 08:23 AM
i have a question.....after uploading the final image once...do i need to upload it again?thx

eddieellis
05-03-2005, 10:39 AM
Mibus : thanks dude.. all uploaded and correct.... thanks for your help

OrO
05-03-2005, 01:10 PM
Sorry...i was so rude.....thx a looooot for fixing the server:bounce:

julius27
05-03-2005, 10:03 PM
hi all,

i never used a personal ftp in the past.
Can anyone give me the name of the easiest program??

thanks

Mibus
05-03-2005, 11:55 PM
i have a question.....after uploading the final image once...do i need to upload it again?thx

You'll need to upload the print-res one to FTP, and you have to upload a normal-res one as a milestone through the "Submit Entry" page.

arLutiK
05-04-2005, 05:09 AM
Ok I ran into a big problem, my scene is so big it wouldn't render at full resolution I got a "Error Creating Bitmap" message, so before I went and :banghead: I looked around on the net to see if I could find a solution and I did, well for 3dsmax at least other softwares I dunno.

Here is the link, I hope it can help a few of you

How to render big images (http://www.discreet.com/support/max/faq/answer.php3?prod=dddstudio&id=465)

Good luck everyone with the finish touch of your images

eddieellis
05-05-2005, 03:06 PM
deleted message

Zethriel
05-05-2005, 06:09 PM
I don't know how to upload the image with ftp.Could someone please tell me the program I must use and how to upload the zip through the program?Thanks

SpiritDreamer
05-06-2005, 04:24 PM
Great!
At first, last week, I thought I was really getting stupid.
But tried the uplaoad again today and VOILA! No problem.
Thanks for all the info from everyone.
This note is from:
Jessica, Glenn's "web-helper-outer"

NOOB!
05-06-2005, 06:03 PM
i'm guessin theres gunna be serious traffic next week with everyone trying to complete the final stages.

just a heads up,get in early.

pushav
05-06-2005, 10:33 PM
I don't know how to upload the image with ftp.Could someone please tell me the program I must use and how to upload the zip through the program?Thanks

You can use windows xp (xp's bulit in ftp client in windows.) if you are using windows xp or you can use a free one called smart ftp. Google search ----->Smart ftp (free program)

MDQ
05-07-2005, 06:52 PM
I haven´t read the whole thread, so I don´t know if anyone´s already asked this.

I´m working on Photoshop and the image has a hughe resolution. However , when I try to save a smaller file to submit I get a poor image quality even though the file is almost 150 kb.

Does anyone know how to keep a good balance between size and quality? Thanks

eddieellis
05-07-2005, 08:43 PM
i have finshed my 3d entry, can i now post it in the Finished Artwork forum ?

BaronImpossible
05-07-2005, 09:59 PM

In XP, using Explorer, type ftp://challenge.cgnetworks.com/ into the address bar, then enter your username / password when it asks you. You should be able to drag your file across, although I haven't tried it because my connection is too slow and times out before I can submit. Such is life, eh?

(Can I request that the instructions be expanded to give some help to people who aren't computer experts?!)

erlik
05-08-2005, 07:11 AM
I haven´t read the whole thread, so I don´t know if anyone´s already asked this.

I´m working on Photoshop and the image has a hughe resolution. However , when I try to save a smaller file to submit I get a poor image quality even though the file is almost 150 kb.

Does anyone know how to keep a good balance between size and quality? Thanks

What is the resolution of your pic? Not pixel dimensions, resolution. Is it possible that you're saving the smaller version with the resolution of 300 dpi?

paulwdavidson
05-08-2005, 09:20 AM
Are you using Photoshop's 'save for web'....? You can adjust the quality and size instantly for the best result.

MDQ
05-08-2005, 04:11 PM
Actually, I´m using the "save for web" command. It´s just that the image looks kinda fuzzy, and I haven´t seen that happening to other images. Maybe I have to keep on trying different values.

Mibus
05-09-2005, 12:05 AM
MDQ: Only the FTP submission should be print-res; the WIP "Final Image" submission should still be a "web"ish resolution. :)

GhostInTheMachine
05-09-2005, 10:21 AM
I cant see that this has been answered specifically...

Does the image necessarily have to have two characters? I have one fully human character, but the other is not there, 'in the flesh'.

the story is about a hitman, she is servant to mafia (or similar).

its the same dynamic as showing a drug addict without showing the dealer (but showing the drugs).

is that OK?
thanks.

flyingP
05-09-2005, 07:20 PM
Robert I either seem to have lost the email with the upload info or didn't get it for some reason, could someone send it out to me again please.