PDA

View Full Version : Film Look, C4D, and AE!!

rscurry
03-15-2005, 08:46 PM
A question for all you billiant people out there....

I want to walk you through the process on a project I am working on and you can tell me if something seems fishy.

I am working in C4D creating some animated lines and fast camera moves for motion graphics. The end result is TV (29.97fps) using widescreen.

1) Render 2 (16x9) passes (RGBA & Depth) from C4D at 24fps

2) Import to After Effects at 23.976fps and composite in comp that is also 23.976 fps.

3) Apply Lenscare (awsome lensblur filter) to the RGBA pass using the Depth pass as a Depth Buffer.

4) Composite that comp with some BG colors in a new 23.976 comp

5) Then take that comp (which is 16x9) and put it in a new 720x486 29.97fps comp. Plus I scale the 16x9 to fit in 4x3.

6) Then the render at 29.97 w/ fields and 3:2 pulldown.

So far it looks generally ok. Am I doing everything correctly? Mainly is AE generating pulldown when I drop the 23.976fps comp into the 29.97comp? I want all the graphics to look filmic, but due to the nature of the animation (white lines moving fast), is going to 24f a mistake? I've tried everything at 30f and it's just too video looking for my tastes. Yet I don't want too much stutter either. The style is important here.

Thanks for anyone who can help!!

Rich

FYI: You can check out where I am at so far here:

http://www.deseyenmedia.com/client/..._031405_WEB.mov

Still is a little stuttery.

Rapier
03-16-2005, 08:04 PM
If your final product with be NTSC D1 or DV Widdescreen, I wouldn't stray to far from that format, unless you had to. Afer Effects should even have a preset for that. Going from comp to comp, posterizing time, and worring about pull downs seem like the harder way to go about it. Most of the things that differ from video to film (the important ones that can be addressed easily) are Depth of Field, gamma settings, color curve, and motion blur. Most of these can be addressed by C4D itself. Under the camera properties, film's shutter speed is usually 1/48 to video's 1/60, so setting that properly will help. Getting the focal length correct for the right depth of field should be pretty easy to set up. I cant remember the different focal lengts, apature settings and otherwise to set up your virtual camera exactly, but there should be plenty of info out there to start with

http://www.geocities.com/pixelmagic2002/CineAlta1.html

Cman
03-17-2005, 02:23 PM
Make sure you have FrameBlending turned on - and that your CG has motion blur.
If not, try using reelsmart motion blur (http://www.revisionfx.com/mblurdownloads.htm) plugin. It works pretty well as a post effect.

nattnewman
03-17-2005, 02:51 PM
hey rscurry,

The link of your WIP doesnt seem to be working?

Nathan.

CGTalk Moderation
03-17-2005, 02:51 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.