PDA

View Full Version : Low poly: Monster for game

WhiteBlaizer
09-22-2002, 03:42 PM
Hi people

here's my latest work. Its a monster i had made long time ago and it's textured now. the first model was with less than 1000 polygons and now... this have exactly 2000, no one more. :P

here's a pic with this kind of glacius with an articulated pose
http://blaizer.metropoliglobal.com/010a.jpg

Enjoy with his textures.

comments about some modifications are well received.
Please rate it.

WhiteBlaizer
09-22-2002, 03:46 PM
here's a bigger pic

http://blaizer.metropoliglobal.com/010.jpgfor all who like to right click and save :p

vfx
09-22-2002, 04:06 PM
I dont know if i can crit this! It is simply excellent, I certainly wouldn't want to meet this fella in a dark alley!

The textures are superb - did u make a separate map for specular and bump? Cos, that gleaming glossy effect works real well.

And congrats on such a good poly count - true modeler!

P.s would be nice to see him in wireframe and without textures applied. Would also like to see a small walk cycle - very heavy but delicate at the same time - very tricky.

One crit - add more texture detail to the hands - little too dark.

well done!

WhiteBlaizer
09-22-2002, 04:28 PM
here's the wireframe, and yes, i have used a different map for bumpmapping :d

another big pic. sorry for those are using 56k :p

http://blaizer.metropoliglobal.com/010wire.jpg

pabbloz
09-22-2002, 06:53 PM
wow! I really like it! :thumbsup:
Really great work with these 2000 polys and the textures!
now... any chance to see this in action? it would be very nice see how these specular maps works!

btw.. thanks for let us saving the image... hi hi hi! :)

piajartist
09-22-2002, 11:38 PM
im so glad my 56k days are long over

piajartist
09-22-2002, 11:40 PM
the texturing really makes the poly count look much more realistic, excellent!

ckaos@om
09-23-2002, 02:11 AM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
WOW ! i really like it !
I have to agree with the others : your skin as well as your model construction makes it one of the most organic looking "low poly" model i've ever seen .
The only thing i personally don't really dig are the feet : they stand out too much, particularly the " claws", but perhaps if u make the hands less dark like VFX said, i'd solve it.

:drool: amazing work anyway!!

Jason-Kane
09-23-2002, 04:32 AM
I myself am a professional employed character modeler for a major game publisher.

I do not understand why everyone on these forums is so positive about everyones posts. In college we were never very positive about eachothers 3D work and it drove us to be better and more competative. Does a compliment really help someone get any better at their trade. It is ridiculus to me that so many of you are in awe of this model.

The artist here did a decent job, but it is not the sculpture of David. If you really want to be nice to this artist you would all find some constructive crit for this person so that their next model will be even better.

I personally see some good things happening here... I like the implication of heroic proportions by way of a smaller head on a very large body. I also like how massive the trapezius is.

However, the trapezius looks really straight as it joins the neck. There should be a dip and a pull by the acromium process indicating a break between the deltoid and the traps. Also on a guy that strong the trap muscle is more convex.

The inside of the legs get really wierd up by the groin. They seem to be missing a muscle there. It dips in on the medial side of the leg and makes his seemingly massive legs look really wimpy.

The stomach muscles are really generalized stylized and inacurate. Especially where the stomach connects into the groin.

The textures look air brushed and show the paint program through them. They look really loose and quickly done. Especially on the feet. However I do applaud the attempt at bump and spec maps.

I am also not into the concept of "Chicken Feet" on this really imposing alien guy. It seems like unless you are trying to be funny that this guy is really imposing on top with chicken feet down low.

I honestly hope this information is useful to you. It is not meant to offend you, but it did not seem that anyone was offering you any constuctive crit on here.

Hysteria
09-23-2002, 04:53 AM
Wow dude what game :D

DarkBane
09-23-2002, 05:47 AM
I really do like the model, I think it looks great, but I also agree with a lot of what Jason Kane has to say.

I wish more people like Jason Kane would crit. my stuff.

:beer:

WhiteBlaizer
09-23-2002, 09:23 AM
Thanks for all comments

Jason Kane: Thanks for your constructive critic. Deltoid and other mucscles would be better defined if the model would have more polygons, instead of tha fact, this maybe is a style of character/muscles, not so human... although it's like human... it's a biped char so it's like human. I like very much your critic... you understand very good about this things :beer:

cheers

MK2
09-23-2002, 11:32 AM
The textures xould use some work... the Bizeps, inner arms and where the leg joins the torso, it looks like your have not finished your texture... another color could also make it a bit more intressting.
In what size is the Texture now and what is the target resolution? It can happen that with a smaller map your model looks like a brown unsharp thing.

I dont like these chicken feets also. Maybe because iam not afraid of chicken :)

overall its a good work and with some more time and work it coulde be really great.

mk

Joebount
09-23-2002, 11:36 AM
Really nice work, but are you talking of polys or tri sided poly (that's what you must count) ?

To Jason : Don't be too harsh, it's far better from what we can see in games like Neverwinter Nights. ( I know, that's is not the same number of poly, but the textures are awfull on the characters)

WhiteBlaizer
09-23-2002, 11:37 AM
hehehe if u were a viper u will be afraid from eagles LOL

nice comments XD

WhiteBlaizer
09-23-2002, 11:50 AM
Joebount the model have 1996 polygons...(triangles) so 2000...

here's an screen with the polycount

http://blaizer.metropoliglobal.com/010wire1.jpg

cheers

nibo
09-23-2002, 03:26 PM
Nice texturing dude :thumbsup:

PokeChop
09-23-2002, 05:03 PM
Hmmmmm, just wish I could be half as good a modeler or texturer as you WhiteBlaizer on lowpoly characters such as this. Take this anyway you like...

WhiteBlaizer
09-23-2002, 05:25 PM
here's a pic of the model smoothed, with non visible corner of polygonal mesh :p . I have simple added a modifier smooth mesh (nurms) and adapted a bit the geometry.

I'm making now a version of the model with more than 10000 polygons...

http://blaizer.metropoliglobal.com/pocpower.jpg

bigger bigger biggest!!!

sorry for all who use 56k, the image is a bit compressed for a good download.

Cheers

Beroc-LOD
09-23-2002, 10:05 PM
KICK ASS.....

Nothing else needs to be said... LOL
:thumbsup:

WhiteBlaizer
09-24-2002, 11:30 AM
thanks for all guys :beer:

sforsyth
09-24-2002, 01:35 PM
The thing about Max, is that if you do a poly count using the poly counter on a poly object, it will give you a poly count. If however, you do a count on an editable mesh, it will give you a tri count (and call it a poly count). There is a difference though.
If you created an editable poly, and worked with that and took a poly count, you are not counting tris. If however you are working on an editable mesh, then you will get a tri count. I can see on your image that there are several five sided or more polys (for example, beneath his nose). Try converting this to an editable mesh and then do a poly count again and let us know. My guess is that you are closer to 4000 polys than 2000....

mfalcon
09-24-2002, 01:51 PM
personaly, i think its cool. i just started on softimage really, so i guess u could say i dont noe much, but for something with so lil polygons, its incredible. Also, i think the reverse articulated lags are cool, but seem to lose somethind at the thighs near the groin........and yeah, arms could use some lightening......but overall, its cool man! ultimate! :applause:

PokeChop
09-24-2002, 02:05 PM
I just have to step back in here to backup what Beroc-LOD said.

KICK ASS!

The meshsmoothed version closeup is ROCKIN! Just plain ROCKIN dude! It would be soooooooooo awesome to see this big guy dropped into some sort of scene with a cool lighting setup. You KICK ASS WhiteBlaizer. Keep up the good work!

Irie
09-24-2002, 02:45 PM
What is your problem? Sure, everyone needs criticism and not just blind appreciation...but where do you get off acting so snooty?

Im in college and in a computer animation major... and i can tell you that if it werent for my friends giving me pats on the back and words of encouragement instead of reaming my ass for not having it perfectly done, i wouldnt even try.

Lighten up.

That model is damn good. As well as the textures.

advanced
09-24-2002, 04:23 PM
First off, I really like the character. It has a LOT of style and the texture is excellent. In a game that supports dynamic environment maps, that character would look so sweet.

The only problems I see with the character is the limited number of polygons on the major joint areas. The elbow for example, is a single joint. While it looks OK in stills, when you animate it, stretching will occur. I would suggest removins SOME(very little) poly details from the face and adding to the elbows. The knees probably need a little more(not as much as the elbows though). And the ankle also. Since these are the main joints, they need more geometry to lessen stretching involved when the character is animated.

Overall, the character is great. Bien hecho amigo. Tienes una creacion increible que es fantastica. Espero mas ejemplos de tus trabajos.

-advanced
(forgive my spanish...I haven't spoken it in 4 years...I'm a little rusty).

Dr-spline
09-24-2002, 08:49 PM
its hard to belive thats only 2000 polys! i have a very hard time with low poly models. Nicly done

facial
09-25-2002, 01:01 AM
Wow, It is so wondful. I love this works, I'll buy the toy.
Ha!:applause:

The Magic Pen
09-25-2002, 01:16 AM
Exellent use of polys and excellent texturing job 5 stars !! .. :thumbsup: :buttrock:

satanatron
09-25-2002, 01:54 AM
that's some nice work there reminds me a bit of Glacier from Killer Instinct a bit.......one thing I don't understand is when people crit monsters/creatures for not being anatomically corect to the human form.....hhmmmmm maybe that's because they're not human!

Jason-Kane
09-25-2002, 05:57 AM
I was not intending to come across as "Snooty".

However, I will stand by my observations as being anatomically acurate.

If I sound as though I am confident it is because I am secure in my ability to model very realistic human forms. This has come with years of diligent study of every bone and muscle in the body and thousands of hours of drawing and sculpting. My current employment entails modeling realistic humans 80 hours a week. I produce a unique realistic character every 4 days (Including Weekends).

Obviously, the standards of video game art are increasing exponentially every year. Things you are seeing in your current game previews do not include all the projects that have not yet been announced. Many of these "unannounced" games include very realistic characters unlike anything the public has seen in the past. Anyone planning on entering into a game studio at this point will be bench marked against these new standards.

The model he has created is a decent game model in accordance to what is currently being released and he has a good chance of working in the gaming industry as an entry level modeler. However, it may not hold up against the best of what is currently being produced behind closed doors for the next generation of games. And our suggestions may guide him to creating even better work and secure his chances of landing a great job.

I predict that many of you will be pleasantly suprised when we are legally allowed to release the characters I have been modeling. And if you are not so fond of them you will have your chance to constructively critique my work at that time. But I warn you that I am very inspired by harsh critics and it will only fuel me to work even longer hours.

Finally, I did recieve a good amount of praise from freinds in college, however I did not rely on it emotionally at all. I found the criticism much more inspiring. If opinions seemed balanced on these forums I would not even consider taking the time to crit someones work. A bad critique is one that just says something "sucks" without mentioning why. A good thoughtful critique articulates a problem area and also offers some potential educated solutions. If you are working at a studio you have to be able to handle these kind of harsh crits. The professional art world does not operate on euphemisms.

I have seen talented people fall by the wayside due to over indugent praise. Some of them are currently struggling to make it as a 3D artists. I am only trying to help this artist get better and avoid such a fate.

OverIguana
09-25-2002, 03:56 PM
Great job overall! I love the model and the texture is very fitting (great organic feel to it), but I have one question/criticism:

Aren't game models supposed to be triangulated models? I noticed that alot of the model was quads, and if it were to be triangulated, the poly count would be considerably higher (although still inline for most games today). Am I right or just being fed some bs?

I'm curious to find out, but either way thats some great work.

phoenix
09-25-2002, 04:48 PM
very nice model man........:rolleyes:

WhiteBlaizer
09-25-2002, 04:59 PM
hi all

the polycount makes reference to triangles, instead you use edit polymesh. Try to create a box and convert it to edit mesh... then make the polycount, and do this operation again with edit polymesh... you will see that the polycount is the same.

I work with edit mesh and edit polymesh alltogether... is better work with edit polymesh owing to a cleaned work space of edges...

here's an image where u can watch the trick :thumbsup:

http://blaizer.metropoliglobal.com/010wire2.jpg

the model is rigged with a relaxed pose

I will post more work about this concept, maybe with more polygons than 2000...

Thanks for your comments guys :)

WhiteBlaizer
09-25-2002, 05:30 PM
here's an image of a work in progress model.
He's too ugly :cool: ... not all the polygons for this monster..

http://blaizer.metropoliglobal.com/010wire3.jpg

lmc
09-25-2002, 05:37 PM
i like it too much,keep post:thumbsup: :wip:

x-alien
09-25-2002, 05:41 PM
KICKASS!!! COOL WORK!!
:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

OverIguana
09-25-2002, 09:15 PM
cool cool!

thanks for the clarification :applause:

Jason-Kane
09-26-2002, 12:02 AM
This new model looks way better than the last.

I am really excited about seeing this one completed.

Some PC games are pushing 1,500 to 8,000 polys per character.

For your demo I would model characters at 4,500 to 6,000 triangles.

I think I like your modeling way better than your texturing. Your modeling is about an 90% while your texturing is about 70% there. I personally am employed just to model. I can texture, but at many companies you can land a job just as a modeler.

When are you planning on sending this stuff out to game companies?

kemamusa
09-26-2002, 02:06 AM
Great job!
I especially like the character's face. The body would look more interesting if it wasn't so symetrical. A little more variation on the limbs maybe.. Right now, the charcter looks a bit like a very fit athlete in wet suit than a monster. Nevertheless, it looks professionally done, IMHO. :)

kreno
09-26-2002, 02:38 AM
Hmm, I like it, but I have one crit. It looks a bit like a Skaarj from Unreal... My favorite enemy character in any game ;)

mfalcon
09-26-2002, 12:42 PM
Man...the finhead monster is fab...n thinkin about it, ur first one reminds me off a protoss zealot.....its all cool man
:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

HapZungLam
09-26-2002, 06:51 PM
Jason:

i do really agree with your thoughts, but sometimes it is much of a personal taste.

Some of them like this kind of criture, some of them can't get to his lvl of making what they think is a good model and good texture.

For myself, if i must say it real. i hate this model. As you say the stupid chick leg. what the hell with a creature with chicken leg.

Check with diablo. I hate diablo it. because it has chicken leg too. There has tonz that north american's design creature with chicken leg. hummm... is it their favoirate.:p

Compare with all the jap's design, take FFX as an example, i don't see any of the creature with chicken leg. Which, i feel that it is make more sense and i really like them. However, North American may not accept the style. They "may" say a creature without chicken leg isn't a creature. do you see what i am saying?

different kind of people like different things.

For the texture. I think i can may better texture then him for sure. But when i look at some of his high-res render. I am quite impress with the result. With the lights, and the composition of the color. it works, althought his painting skills of texture isn't good. But the final result shock me.:thumbsup:

For the modeling, i don't have much to say about. My standard for low poly modeling is that with limited polygon can make a model looks like a high res, with a lot of detail. that is a good model.

Take blizzard as an example again. They have shitting model on WCIII. all their characters shoulder sucks. all with pointy sholders. Compare with FF IX, Zidane is a great low poly character. with very limited polygon and the result is very detail.

Yea, i understand WCIII character may have much less poly than Zidane. but still, Square did kick ass low poly characters.

But due to many people saying WCIII looks great, it will somehow convince me to say it has good model too.

WhiteBlaizer 's character is pretty good , well, to me it is. because i may not able to model as good as he is, specially the head. i love its head.

:applause:

slaughters
09-26-2002, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by HapZungLam
There has tonz that north american's design creature with chicken leg. hummm... is it their favoirate.:p
Strange. Some people see chicken legs. I see eagle, or bird of prey legs. I guess it depends on what kind of bird you are most familular with.

As for the character critique, well I have problems with critiquing made up characters. I mean who's to say the heads too small, or the shoulders are wrong, if it is a fantasy character. And this is a fanatasy character.

In the real world an animal this heavy would not have these kind of ankles or feet (unless they were no more than 3 feet tall). The ankles are too thin to support great weight. The feet should be broad pads with the ankles directly over them and directly under the creatures center of gravity (think elephant ankles and feet).

P.S. A way to hear, breathe, and eat would be another thing to add if you are going for a little more realism.

WhiteBlaizer
09-26-2002, 09:12 PM
Thanks for all the comments guys.

The reason because people says chicken legs is the color of his legs... nothing more. I think if i would change colour... it wasn't be considered as chicken leg... thats very funny :beer:

I have tended to a "good" proportion of color and a good concept that as i can see is called as a Skaarj (all model with reptile skin is today a skaaarj...), a protoss... (all model without nose and mouth is today considered a protoss)... people can't generalize a lot...

This model was from a model i had modeled 3 years ago :p ... with the only measure of clean my huge library of works... almost unfinished... i'm finishing and retouching some aspects of them...

The other reason of this texture... is for not to fall in the huge error of models in games... the crappy filling en textures... that u can see in all models... included ff as hapzunglan says. The texture is the third image i have realised with my wacom recently adquired

Particulary, i dont like to model simple and easy to made models as some kind as i'm customized to watch in artist pages... no much originality.

Jason: i'm not very interested to make videogames as profesion... i just simple model this things because i wanna to see some of my draws in the screen, thats all. I'm will work as industrial engeener, maybe if i want... a time working in films when i finish my real and good work. The day i finish the work i will launch a site with a promo video. ;)

I think the work of modeller is the ugliest work in the ludic industry due to the elevated polycount tases are required today and much more tomorow... a lot of work... with the same salary...

I have a lot of offerts of work in my country... and i can say to you that you have reason... the modeller is very cotized, but my work interest more in design.:buttrock:

Alien have chicken legs and it rocks...
:wip:
People of town don't know what's a chicken... because they never didn't see a chicken in action... only ugly chicken heads in eggs boxes... if i were like them... i...
will refer to google and i'll look for chicken references... It's very good to know about anatomy (deltoids), but when someone says about chicken legs is far better know what's a chicken leg is... Dont be a bird!

x-alien
09-26-2002, 09:20 PM
omg!! i dont see a chick leg!!...

this is a chick leg....

|
/|\

i dont see that.. only 2 claws...... but the color... ... suggest a chicken?? mmm maybe , take a look of the wire.. i cant see chicks leg...
i like the legs.. but with other color will be better... we must know that the legs of a reptil is like to legs of chicks, i have an iguana and a parrot, just take a look of the claws of an iguana and a parrot.

i have a lot of videogames... neverwinter nights, dungeon siege,
etc...

and the models and texturing of that games... are the worse ever seen... but i like to much the skeleton of dungeon siege

i like to much wc3, the models are ok, the texturing are ok...

whats wrong?.... all the people... deltoids is bad done...

why a monster must have the same muscle structure of a human?? and bone structure?? why?

nobody critics.... dragon ball... goku, vegeta, piccolo... all chars of dragon ball have the deltoids bad done... and i love it

pd. i wish to see urs models in a game
KICKASS, COOL!... sorry for my english :p

spakman
09-26-2002, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Jason Kane
I myself am a professional employed character modeler for a major game publisher.

I do not understand why everyone on these forums is so positive about everyones posts.

what publisher? (I only ask cos your profile sez you are looking for work)

FWIW, I'm not sure what to make of your disertation in regards to this creature. I would understand it more if you were critiquing a human. When you get to fantasy, you rilly can't go as overboard in criticisms as you have. There's just too many factors, from concept art to art direction, to final execution. With fantastical monsters, its hard to pin down what is intentional design, and what just sort of "happened".

As for some constructive criticism, Jason, I've perused your site and can offer you this. Your knowledge of individual anatomical pieces seems established, but your knowledge as to how they asthetically fit together could use some work.

Remember nothing is a thing on its own, but only within the context of the whole.

peace d=^)

spakman
09-26-2002, 11:56 PM
BTW, I dig the monster. I'd worry about the other stuff when your making the human that the monster's gonna eat.

d=^)

plecxusmain
09-27-2002, 12:07 AM
some likes critics, some likes flattery some likes both. u can notcomplain, and no1 should expect some1 to be like himself.

being pro-art, thinking that everything should be in the limits of known artistic forms and rules does not make some1 more or better artist. u know known art rules and forms for yourself and your art-piece.

personally for years i am trying to build one perfect cube, hundreds of hours of training, thousands of wasted vertex data, yet could not model one perfect cube

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.