PDA

View Full Version : Rendering lightmaps in XSI 4.0

Sisyphus
03-14-2005, 08:30 AM
Hey, I'm a total XSI newbie...

Is it possible to produce lightmaps (tga or whatever the format) baked in UV channel?

That is, the typical game lightmap...searched here...and searched in google, where I found a post of someone saying that Valve used their own tool for lightmaps, and another person saying XSI lightmap shader was in Softimage but removed from XSI.

Yet though, that could be old info...as I saw the rendermap feature, and read some little I could find in my purchase CDs, but have not been able to make it work...Indeed, I dunno if this thing of Rendermap is actually though for doing lightmaps.

It'd be great to use the fantastic GI rendering of XSI , baked into an UV texture to output to game engines...i don't even need it having an export format of the 3d file with two UV channels..I only need just the baked tga...As I have plenty of tools and workflows to mount the two UV thing, even my coder friends do it by code...
But th rendering to baked tga is actually a need.

Any help would be apreciated...

And excuse my newbieness... ;)

Asgaard
03-14-2005, 10:54 AM
Rendermap should be the way to go. Make sure
your objects have proper UV's applied.
The whole process is pretty straightforward.
so long...

Sisyphus
03-15-2005, 07:38 AM
Thank you! :)

mainly I wanted to ensure it was the way to go.

Then I'll fight more with it...

mycs
03-15-2005, 08:02 AM
Actually is quite simple to get renderMaps (lightMaps). You should pay attention to details such as resolution uf your rendermap rendered and than applied back on the object.

CGTalk Moderation
03-15-2005, 08:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.