PDA

View Full Version : 6800 dont load opengl texture faster???

chikapon
03-14-2005, 01:12 AM
Hi, i question myself... i just buy a 6800gt for accelerate the project im on... its basically a 3d scene with lot of footage shooted on green screen mapped on planes... with alpha... When i put texture on in the layout everything become very slow... normal... but i was thinking the 6800 should make everything faster... no? right now its not the case... its still the same as my 5700... damn... I should buy RAID then???

thanksss

rocarpen
03-14-2005, 02:03 AM
Hi, i question myself... i just buy a 6800gt for accelerate the project im on... its basically a 3d scene with lot of footage shooted on green screen mapped on planes... with alpha... When i put texture on in the layout everything become very slow... normal... but i was thinking the 6800 should make everything faster... no? right now its not the case... its still the same as my 5700... damn... I should buy RAID then???

thanksss

More details needed:

- What app are you using?
- Are you mapping still images to your planes? Or movies? What file format are they in (ie: TIF, JPEG, etc)

chikapon
03-14-2005, 02:34 AM
im using lightwave, mapping jpeg sequence for color and jpeg sequence again for transparency map... only one object with texture enabled slow down the scene a lot... a note say between each refreshing "loading opengl texure"...

rocarpen
03-14-2005, 03:19 AM
Hmm... you might try using a QuickTime movie with something like Sorenson compression instead of a raw JPEG sequence, (to shrink the size of the file that the card needs to access) but other than that I have no ideas (not being a Lightwave user).

imashination
03-14-2005, 10:47 AM
Which cpu do you have?

chikapon
03-14-2005, 03:33 PM
p4 2.8... we cant load a Quicktime in lightwave i think... only sequence...

stephen2002
03-14-2005, 08:55 PM
The texture load speed depends on the AGP bus speed, as well as your CPU. Why the CPU? Because Lightwave has to convert any texture that you give it to something that the graphics card can display, usually involving some resampling. To get best preformance pre-process your source material to the texture resolution you are using in your viewports. If you already did that, then try using a lower resolution for the textures. When you are finished your work swap back in the high quality stuff.

chikapon
03-15-2005, 03:25 PM
Quite good idea... Ill try that...
Thanks a lot!

CGTalk Moderation
03-15-2005, 03:25 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.