PDA

View Full Version : Hobbit picture 'four years away'

kilikili
03-13-2005, 08:14 PM
What they said:

"Lord of the Rings director Peter Jackson has said that it will be up to four years before he starts work on a film version of The Hobbit. The Oscar winner said on a visit to Sydney there was a "desire" to make it, but not before lengthy negotiations.

"I think it's gonna be a lot of lawyers sitting in a room trying to thrash out a deal before it will ever happen," said the New Zealander.

The rights to JRR Tolkien's book are split between two major film studios.

Jackson, who is currently filming a remake of Hollywood classic King Kong, said he thought that the sale of MGM studios to the Sony Corporation would cast further uncertainty on the project.

The 43-year-old was in the Australian city to visit a Lord of the Rings exhibition, which has attracted 140,000 visitors since it opened in December."

More >>> (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4344767.stm)

-Kilikili

t-toe
03-14-2005, 03:25 AM
I think I'm okay with waiting 4 years for a Hobbit picture. don't get me wrong, the LOTR films were amazing/spectacular/mind-blowing, but I'm a little LOTR'ed out at the moment. I could use a breather.

can't wait to see what Jackson does after Kong (which is looking cooler by the video diary)!

Johnlittle
03-14-2005, 09:34 AM
I see it as Kong,than a couple other great ones,than a Nice Hobbit flik.Nice line-up.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Renzsu
03-14-2005, 10:52 AM
I don't know if it would be such a good idea for Jackson to make that hobbit flick.. I mean, he should watch out not to become what Lucas has become.. nothing wrong with being rich of course, but I assume Jackson would like to make other kinds of movies besides LOTR themed stuff. Then again, Lucas still had a couple of books left to put to film, which isn't the case with Jackson...

Hugh
03-14-2005, 11:58 AM
I think the difference is that PJ is working from already-established source material.... I, for one, would love to see The Hobbit......

Don't know what I'd think if he said he'd do a few based of stories from The Silmarillion, though.... If he kept the same passion, I think they could be great - the only worry would be for him as a film-maker - that he'd be pigeon-holing himself into purely LotR films.... For that reason, I don't think he'd do it beyond The Hobbit....

JohnSpin
03-14-2005, 04:04 PM
I wouldn't mind at all. But like T-Toe said, i'm a little LOTR'ed out also.

BTW, I'm a Brand Spankin Newbie!

CGTalk Moderation
03-14-2005, 04:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.